Gavin Roy Presents

Santa Barbara, CA

Your dance floor packed - or your money back

Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music

1187 Coast Village Road, Santa Barbara, CA

DJ did not play what we wanted

Reviewed on 9/09/2013 Abigail A

It was very important to us that the DJ play the music that we wanted. That's why we decided not to skimp on it. While Gavin Roy himself seems very knowledgeable of genres, it does not appear that the DJ to which we were assigned, DJ Dave, had similar knowledge. We were very... Read More specific in the type of music we wanted for the dancing portion of the evening (approximately 3 hours long). We wanted 90s hip hop with a mix of 80s new wave. Instead, we got mostly today's top 40 hits mixed in with a few 90s R&B and a little bit of hip hop. We should have known better when we had a pre-wedding telephone conference with the DJ and when we mentioned 80s new wave, he responded that he would make sure to play Janet Jackson. I'm not saying that the company itself is bad. They have great sound and great customer service. However, they need to vet their DJs' knowledge of music genres beforehand. DJs should not be mere "yes" men to the bride and groom if they do not actually understand what the bride and groom want.

Spencer!

Reviewed on 1/15/2013 Anna L

Spencer was the best DJ we have ever witnessed! His personality speaks for itself when he is perfoming! We got plenty of dj compliments!

Bennett Schmid is the best!

Reviewed on 11/25/2012 Angela C

Our DJ was Bennett and he was so great!! We interviewed 3 different DJ's because my husband and I are really picky about our music. Bennett understood our music taste. He wasn't cheesy in the announcements. He was actually perfect in every way. definitely recommend him!

Gavin Rocks!

Reviewed on 10/31/2012 Sarah T

Gavin is an AWESOME DJ! I highly recommend him if you don't want to worry about a playlist and have an absolute blast. He will get everyone on the dance floor and you'll have the best time!

very happy

Reviewed on 10/08/2012 Andrea S

Very helpful they did great with our ceremony and reception. We were very happy everyone danced and had a great time. The website they use is great! It is extremely helpful for planning and letting them know what you want.

Not Willing to Help

Reviewed on 7/30/2011 Shellena H

Oh, where to begin with Gavin. When we spoke on the phone he seemed fairly nice and we established I would be wanting to do some special things at my wedding and he agreed he would be able to take care of them. Both of my sisters and my dad are vocalists and so they all did... Read More performances throughout the night, one sister sang at the ceremony, my dad said his toast and had everyone sing along to "The Glory of Love" and my other sister sang our first dance song. When we sat down to have our final meeting with him, he seemed appalled that I planned on doing these things, even calling me "A sound guy's worst nightmare." He was unhelpful, rude and very childish. When it came to the actual wedding, his volumes were terrible, his equipment had feedback and he only played 3 of the 15 songs I requested, instead playing music he likes. All in all I thought it was a very odd experience. If you want a very simple wedding with lots of 80s rock, Gavin would probably be great. He eventually, dragging his feet and complaining the whole way, made the event happen, it just was not done nearly as well as I had hoped for all of the effort we put into it.

BEST DJ EVER!!

Reviewed on 6/15/2011 Daniela G

Gavin is the best! I recommend him to anyone! He played all the music i requested and was such a great MC for the night. He was helpful with my budget and working with the live band we had as well.

what a party!

Reviewed on 11/23/2010 Kelly P

Gavin with Santa Barbara DJ's did such a great job with our cocktail hour and wedding reception. Everyone was asking for the playlist at the end of the night! His website is very easy to navigate and allows you to create your own timeline, song requests and also a seperate page... Read More for guest requests. He was a pleasure to work with and was always just a phone call away. I highly recommend his services for your wedding.

DJ

Reviewed on 11/21/2010 amber m

Their music is awesome and the DJ's are the best! I would highly recommend them to anyone. They are very professional and I enjoyed working with them.

All Night Party

Reviewed on 9/20/2010 Diana M

Craig was an amazing DJ. He worked with us on our playlist and was an extremely fun guy. Everyone danced the night away

Rating for Santa Barbara DJs

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Gayle B

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Lori M

Gavin is the owner of SBDJs and you?d be lucky to get him. Music, for us, wasn?t something we put a ton of thought into, so it really was the area with the highest risk of disappointment, but fortunately for us, we had Gavin and as a result, our expectations were far exceeded.... Read More Every review we read of Gavin said he knows how to pick and choose according to the crowd and how to get them all involved, and now I, too, can echo that sentiment. Something that I felt was very telling occurred during the reception when Gavin personally asking me if it was okay if he played ÙYMCAˆ because he had so many requests for the song but knew of my very strong distaste for overplayed wedding fare. Also of note: We had no money for lighting, but to our great surprise, Gavin brought a handful of very tasteful, much appreciated lights with colored gels that really added to the mood of the dance floor. You owe it to yourself to at least get his quote.

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Shara S

- Gavin Roy who is the head of the company and was our DJ still works in clubs so he knows what's current and also has a vast knowledge of all kinds of music. - His website is great. It's a great planning tool and you can pick out the songs you want and

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Mayumi R

We were lucky to have founder and co-owner of SBDJs to host our wedding. Gavin was very professional and made sure that we were happy at all times. He also had an online music request form where our guests could make requests prior to the wedding. We thanked Gavin for playing... Read More great music all night long and he told me that it was because of all the requests that my guests had made. He was such a pleasure to work with and we'd recommend him to anyone.

Rating for Santa Barbara DJs