Words that Begin the Rest of Your Life

Your story, style, and love! Using my skill as a professional storyteller, I create secular and interfaith ceremonies that tell your story, incorporating your traditions and ideas, making your ceremony the heart of the wedding with words that will be recalled and retold for the rest of your lives.

Civil Union, Commitment Ceremony, Interfaith Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Interfaith, Jewish

Ceremony, Wedding

259 Park Street, Upper Montclair, NJ serving greater NYC area (973) 746-4608

Reviewed on 4/21/2017 Robyn G

Tomorrow marks a week since our wedding day and my husband, Steven and I both agree that it was the best day of our lives. Our guests have also been commenting all week saying how this was the best wedding they've been to from start to finish. Gerry was the reason our ceremony... Read More felt so intimate and personalized. From the beginning, he got to know us and had us each answer questions separately to gain more familiarity with our background and relationship. He incorporated our inter-faith religions and added beautiful Jewish and Catholic touches. He also incorporated an adorable poem about dogs that related to love that our guests are still talking about. Our boxer, Jaxon was our ring-bearer and Gerry was so accommodating to our wishes to have him involved. He customized our ceremony and made us feel so special. We appreciate his honesty, ability to share and express our love for one another and heartfelt words in such a unique ceremony. Our guests were all blown away by the joyous and loving atmosphere he created from the start. We are so thankful to have found Gerry and even more thankful that he created such a warm, memorable and beautiful ceremony to join us as one.

2017-04-22T06:42:03 Response from the vendor

It was a great night What a joy for you to share your happiness with me. Thanks for the review

Reviewed on 4/07/2017 Keira F

Gerry MADE our ceremony! I might be a little biased but it's still the best ceremony I've ever attended :) ...Gerry had us answer a list of questions, separately, about our relationship and how we met and our hopes and dreams for the future, which he incorporated into our... Read More personalized ceremony. He chose poems and readings that fit best with our story and the feeling we wanted to convey to our friends and family. There were many, many happy and emotional tears during our ceremony, which were all part of the intimate setting Gerry put together for us. We still get complements all the time about how unique and personal our ceremony was. We are still so thrilled we chose to go with Gerry as our officiant, he delivered above and beyond our expectations!

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Krystle D

Gerry recently married us on October 9, 2016. Words cannot express how phenomenal he made our ceremony and we are forever grateful to him. When we first met Gerry, he told us that he wanted our guests to walk away from our ceremony saying, "Wow. That was so them." Well, that is... Read More exactly what happened. Many of our guests told us that our ceremony was one of the best ceremonies they have ever witnessed because it was so unique and intimate. Everyone was in tears. Gerry truly listens to you and wants your wedding to be special. He is a phenomenal officiant and we cannot recommend him enough. Just meet him once and you will see for yourself.

2016-10-21T07:33:24 Response from the vendor

Laughter, tears, and a room filled with joy and love, that is what a wedding is all about. Thanks for your wonderful words.

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Meghan C

Gerry just recently (11/12/16) married my husband and I in a beautiful ceremony at Oakeside Mansion, Bloomfield Nj. From day one - we felt extremely comfortable and excited to have Gerry write our ceremony. We met a few times over the year leading up to the wedding. Through... Read More those meetings mixed with Gerry's pure talent for writing and composing, we had an intimate, personal and fun ceremony. Gerry was able to find words that so perfectly expressed our love and friendship to one another. He also included our 1 and 1/2 year old in a way that was warm and fun. Thank You Gerry! You are truly great at what you go.

2016-11-23T15:31:56 Response from the vendor

There could be nothing more joyous than to have Zack as part of the ceremony and to see everyone's pleasure in the three of you as a family.

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Lauren D

My husband and I got married 9/23 at Perona Farms, and we were in search of a person who could deliver a personal ceremony and make everyone feel as if they got to know us more as a couple. We met many officiants who provided the same traditional rhetoric, and then we met... Read More Gerald. It was such a relief to finally meet someone who didn't tell you how it should be done, but listened to what you both wanted from your ceremony and based it around the couple. He has so many different passages to offer and so many different "rituals" he can add in to make your ceremony unique and special. He is such a pleasure to work with and is so knowledgable about different customs and traditions. He even came to our rehearsal dinner with short notice which was a far drive and performed the rehearsal at a late time so everyone would be able to attend. Looking back on our wedding day, the ceremony is the most intimate and special part. It is my most favorite memory thanks to Gerald. Everyone said to me during cocktail hour, wow that was the most amazing ceremony I've ever been to. They talked about how personal, entertaining, and engaging it was. You have to choose him for your wedding; and trust me you won't regret it!!!!

2016-10-31T12:12:48 Response from the vendor

Thanks for the wonderful review It was a great wedding I agree the ceremony is the most intimate and special part of the celebration - what everyone will remember when it really reflects who you are

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Caity E

Gerald was absolutely wonderful. Planning our ceremony was such a great process. He helped us create a ceremony that was beautiful and completely unique to us. We were able to incorporate little details here and there that were just perfect to us as a couple. During the ceremony... Read More itself, he was extremely calming and helped us both get past our wedding day nerves. All of our guests loved our ceremony,too. It was such a great experience.

2016-10-17T18:58:44 Response from the vendor

Thanks of the lovely words- It was great to be a part of your special day

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Amanda L

Gerald did an amazing job with our ceremony this past weekend. From the first day we met him, we knew we had made the best choice. He sat down with us before the wedding and mapped out the entire ceremony with our input. He helped to make our ceremony personable, warm, and... Read More memorable. He made sure to include not only us, but our parents, bridal party, and the guests. I have gotten so many compliments about how unique and wonderful our ceremony was. Thank you so so much Gerald for making the most important part of our day absolutely amazing!

2016-10-17T17:08:32 Response from the vendor

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Stephanie G

My husband and I loved working with Gerry for our ceremony! We found that his process was easy and interactive. Gerry was able to learn our story and then make recommendations for our ceremony. His recommendations and ceremony style was thoughtful and felt very personalized... Read More to who we are as a couple. We were able to discuss, change and tweak the ceremony as necessary beforehand. Gerry was professional, organized, and made helpful suggestions. He quickly and efficiently ran us through our rehearsal the day before. The day of the wedding he was nothing but professional and the ceremony went off without a hitch and we had many of our guests comment on how thoughtful the ceremony was. My husband and I are thankful we had such a wonderful ceremony that felt like us.

2016-10-10T11:10:58 Response from the vendor

And I can't tell how how lucky I feel to share your day with a couple like you

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Anita C

Gerald made our day so special! He gave us beautiful and fun ideas. He's very knowledgeable about different traditions. He's easy to work with. On time. Willing to help. He basically ran our rehearsal. We was so organized. And our wedding went perfectly. I... Read More couldn't have asked for more. A++++

Reviewed on 8/08/2016 Christine H

We had a great service thanks to Gerald. He truly help transform some of our initial brainstormed ideas into reality.

2016-08-08T09:51:57 Response from the vendor

I'm always so delighted at the unique qualities of each ceremony. Thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed on 6/21/2016 gina c

My husband and I were just married by Mr. Fierst on June 12th. My wedding ceremony was unforgettable thanks to him. Working with Gerald was a delight. He got to know us as a couple and together we created a perfect, one of a kind cermony. I cannot say enough good things. I would... Read More highly recommend him to any bride and groom looking for a truely memorable experience! My guests continue to tell me how amazing my ceremony was. Thank you soooo much!!

2016-06-21T12:56:24 Response from the vendor

and can't thank you enough for including me in your celebration- like I always say, twenty years from now, you want to look at me and say, "ain't he great."

Reviewed on 6/06/2016

If you are reading this, I strongly suggest that you choose Mr. Fierst as your officiant immediately. Choosing Mr. Fierst was one of the best decisions that we made for our wedding. My wife and I went to numerous weddings prior to our own and we tried to choose the best... Read More features of all those weddings to incorporate it into ours. In a lot of wedding ceremonies, we felt that they were sometimes too cheesy, or overly dramatic and sometimes even preachy but you will not get that with Mr. Fierst. He believes that the ceremony should be a story that chronicles the couple, how they met, how they feel and show the audience how the couple see each other and I believe he did just that. My wife and I came from different backgrounds and religions and was able to adeptly connect all those things into one amazing ceremony. After we contacted Mr. Fierst, he replied right away and we got a discussion going. After an initial meeting, we communicated via e-mail afterwards so that he could get an idea of what we wanted. For our second face-to-face meeting, he went over everything in detail in front of us to make sure we got exactly what we wanted. The ceremony was perfect and people came up to us to tell how much they enjoyed the ceremony and Mr. Fierst. Simply the best and most professional. I promise, you will not regret it!

2016-06-07T07:47:17 Response from the vendor

And so exciting to see your traditional Korean ceremony! Thanks for your great review.

Reviewed on 5/24/2016

We are at a loss for words when it comes to Gerald Fierst. It is ironic, because words are his specialty and it is difficult to deal in the currency with which he is an expert. We approached him for our wedding fairly late in the game. Our unique circumstance was that a Jew... Read More and an Orthodox Christian were going to be married and we didn’t want to show any favoritism for one side or the other. The previous candidates were too enamored with self-promotion. They missed the essence of our vision. Gerald, however, seemed to understand where we were coming from and even though it was difficult to vocalize what we had in mind, he drew it out of us. In our first meeting, we sat down with him at his home office and he walked us through the process, got to know us and gave us some ideas to think about. Then, he provided us with a detailed questionnaire to complete, which gave him a better understanding of our past, present and future plans together. We met with him a second time and he proposed a plan for the ceremony. With nearly lightning speed he wrote our entire wedding and we took our time going over it and made some minor modifications to suit our specific needs. The night before the wedding, Gerald attended our rehearsal dinner and walked us, some buzzed and clumsy, through the ceremony. What really stood out about Gerald was the degree of patience he had at every turn. Despite the fact that we only gave him a six week lead time for the wedding, he never rushed us and he never imposed his vision on us. He simply suggested a variety of ideas from disparate cultures, while explaining their significance and origin. Another really important fact about Gerald that we are compelled to disclose is his voice. He is a professional story teller. At our wedding, he told our story in a way that could only be told by someone with his level of experience and training.

2016-05-24T19:52:24 Response from the vendor

What a wonderful review You tracked every bit of the process, but from my part, I have to add what a pleasure it was to be a part of your wedding and how much fun it was to solve all your problems and make everyone... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 5/22/2016 Alexandria O

Gerry is such a joy to work with! We didn't really know what we wanted from our ceremony, but Gerry helped steer us in the right direction. He took the stories we told him and wrote the perfect ceremony for us. It was sweet and simple, but absolutely beautiful! So many of our... Read More guests commented on how much they loved our ceremony. It felt very unique and personalized which is just what we wanted. Gerry also came all the way out to help us during our rehearsal and had great ideas for how everyone should move and stand. On the day of our wedding he arrived early to make sure we had time to sign the marriage license and he was so relaxed that it helped us stay calm too. It was so great working with Gerry, he is such a nice person and was a lot of fun! Thank you for such an amazing ceremony!

2016-05-22T20:45:14 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for this wonderful review. I was so pleased to be a part of your celebration.

Reviewed on 2/03/2016

Working with Gerry in preparation for the wedding ceremony was a calming, fun, and productive experience. He got to know us initially in a skype conversation and then through detailed questionnaires. He was extremely responsive to our feedback and made the wedding very much our... Read More own, incorporating traditions we wanted to use. We both have several grown children and he had wonderful ideas how to incorporate them into the wedding. But what was truly amazing was Gerry's friendly calm and flexible personality. Our wedding fell on the day of a 2 1/2 foot blizzard in New York City. He was willing to come in to the city from NJ the day before to make sure he would be able to officiate. And then when the storm caused our wedding venue to cancel and be rescheduled for the next morning, he again was fantastic -- attending the impromptu pizza rehearsal dinner with our family and friends at the hotel where they were all staying. The ceremony was meaningful, happy, and inclusive and I credit Gerry with making it so.

2016-02-03T14:02:26 Response from the vendor

A Never To Be Forgotten Weekend! Made more special by all of your friends and family and our delight in your happiness together.

Your officiant search ends with Gerald!

Reviewed on 1/11/2016 Courtney W

I don't know if there are words to describe how happy we were with Gerald's service but I'm going to try. I had been agonizing over finding the perfect officiant. Someone who could make our guests feel engaged in our ceremony but also make our more conservative catholic family... Read More forget that we weren't in a church with a priest. Gerald knocked it out of the park. All of our guests raved about the ceremony, how personal it was, how they had never been to a wedding where the ceremony was so moving, etc. My VERY catholic grandmother told me that it was the most beautiful ceremony she had ever seen. Gerald incorporated a story about us so well that people asked me if it was even real. If you are, like I was, searching for someone to help you create a wedding ceremony that will highlight the day (rather than being a prethouht to the party), seriously look no further. He walked us through the process every step of the way and we are forever grateful for finding him!

2016-01-12T17:17:28 Response from the vendor

Even a civill ceremony like I perform should have a sense of spirit and the moment at its core. I am so glad that I was able to give you and your guests that sense of you, your story, and the love and commitment that... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 12/16/2015 Trish D

Where do we begin ! Gerald "Gerry" Fierst was TERRIFIC ! He really listened to what we wanted... he had a great presence, kept things lite but not silly.... he was prepared. We sat down weeks prior and went thru the ceremony and how we envisioned it. He was extremely... Read More thorough and sent us the ceremony outline for us to review, edit and agree upon. On the night of our wedding, I was a little nervous and he really was great, directing all of us. His presence was perfect...he ushered us into our union with style. By asking all the right questions ahead of time, he let 'our story' tell the story. He is such a wonderful guy... Highly recommended!

Gerald is the best officiant ever!!!!

Reviewed on 11/18/2015 Katherine P

I don't know where to begin with Gerald!! I called about 7 officiants before I called him and I wish I hadn't wasted my time with the rest and just called him first! From the minute we spoke on the phone, to meeting him, we knew he was the one for us. Gerald is so sweet,... Read More professional, friendly and just makes you feel so comfortable around him. He made our ceremony far more prefect than we could have imagined! He personalized everything to be exactly what we wanted and told our story beautifully, He guided us through the whole process and brainstormed ideas and came up with great idea, after great idea. Our friends and family are still talking about how beautiful the ceremony was. Gerald is very punctual. Our rehearsal was day of wedding at 4:30pm. I called him at 4:15 to see if he was close and he was already upstairs waiting for us! by the way, he was a great speaking voice. Very clear and sweet and doesn't need a microphone because his voice projects beautifully throughout the room. I am so thankful to Gerald for creating such a beautiful and perfect ceremony for us! He is the best and I highly recommend him, trust me, he is worth every penny! You are the best Gerry!! :)

2015-11-18T11:36:09 Response from the vendor

Wow- says everything I try to do and be- Thank you for the lovely appreciation

Intimate Ceremony

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Suzanne W

Gerald was the officiant for our November 7th, 2015 wedding. Our families loved all of the personal touches to our ceremony. He did a beautiful job articulating our story before reading our vows. We had a beautiful day!

2015-11-16T19:24:07 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the lovely review- It was a day filled with love!

Above and beyond

Reviewed on 10/25/2015 Rebecca F

We can not say enough positive things about Gerald. From the first time we met with him we felt that he truly cared about creating a personalized ceremony and he truly did. He even came the night before to do a rehearsal which was extremely helpful. Friends and family kept... Read More telling us throughout the night how wonderful they thought Gerald was and that he kept their interest through the entire ceremony. Thank you for creating such a beautiful and personalized ceremony that we will remember forever.

2015-10-25T20:39:09 Response from the vendor

Thanks os much for your sweet words Being a part of your celebration was a delight for me.

The Perfect Balance

Reviewed on 10/05/2015

It wasn't just me who was knocked over by Gerald's service. All night people kept saying things like: "Where did you find him?" "He was utterly pitch perfect." "That was the best wedding ceremony I have ever experienced." (times about 50) "So" I hear you ask "what made it... Read More so spectacular?" The ceremony was shaped for this couple. He took the time and care to find out who they were and weave that into every aspect of the ceremony. He understood: -For level and depth of their religious commitment. -Created a perfect balance between the beauty and importance of the step they are taking with specifics about them, their personalities, relationship, and lives -He has the couple facing one another and he stands to the side, keeping them in the middle of everyone's focus and attention -The few wisdoms he offered were so on key that all night other couples were saying "That is a great idea. Let's go home and write each other a letter about what we love about one another and where we hope to be in 5 years and put away with a bottle of fine wine and chocolates (i added the chocolates.) Finally, he is opposite of pompous. Accessible, human, and authentic he was the guy for the job. We were overjoyed that Gerald could stay for the celebration, because he felt like an essential part of it.

2015-10-06T19:00:21 Response from the vendor

Everything about the evening was so well done, elegant and human at the same time. What a wonderful night.

Reviewed on 8/30/2015

Gerry was fantastic! We had so many compliments on how beautiful and touching our ceremony was. From day one Gerry listened to our story and worked with us on creating the perfect atmosphere for our day. The thing is, in the beginning my husband and I had no idea what we wanted.... Read More Gerry asked all the right questions which helped guide us in the right direction. It was amazing to see the final product, and how he creatively weaved our stories together to match our ceremony. Impressive and simply exquisite! He is kind, easy going, has wonderful ideas, and is absolutely brilliant! Thank you Gerry for making our special day so memorable!!!

Sweet and Memorable Ceremony!

Reviewed on 7/23/2015

Unlike any typical officiants who try to sell you a scripted service over coffee at Starbucks, my now-husband and I met Gerald for our initial meeting at his home. We knew right away that he was different. He was eccentric, creative and full of knowledge. He listened to our... Read More stories and our wishes. We walked in with a simple standard ceremony in mind, but we walked out with a framework crafted by Gerald for a very well thought out story telling, lovely and romantic ceremony. We are so happy that we had Gerald at our wedding to marry us!!!

Gerry is great!

Reviewed on 6/30/2015 Danielle H

Gerry did such a great job for our wedding ceremony! He made the ceremony so beautiful and unique. It wasn't your typical wedding ceremony. After meeting with us a few times, he wrote a beautiful story of our lives and what brought us together. The personal touch of the ceremony... Read More moved everyone and guests couldn't stop saying how unique of a ceremony it was. He really worked with us to create the perfect ceremony. He's also friendly and has fast responses. We very highly recommend Gerry to be your wedding officiant/celebrant!

Best Officiant Ever

Reviewed on 6/29/2015

Gerry was amazing to work with! He put in an incredible amount of personal attention to make sure that the ceremony was perfect. Gerry’s presence and calm hand helped way beyond the actual ceremony itself (which was great btw).

Gerald Fierst

Gerald Fierst will create a unique ceremony that combines your traditions, needs, and stories into vows that will be the heart of the wedding. Certified by the International College of Celebrance, Melbourne, Australia, as well as the Celebrant Foundation, he is one of America’s best known civil celebrants. His book The Heart of the Wedding has been praised as “a new road map in the landscape of love,” and he has been called an “American Master of Ceremony.” He is an award winning storyteller, actor, and writer and can reached at www.geraldfierst.com or www.theheartofthewedding.com.