Words that Begin the Rest of Your Life

Your story, style, and love! Using my skill as a professional storyteller, I create secular and interfaith ceremonies that tell your story, incorporating your traditions and ideas, making your ceremony the heart of the wedding with words that will be recalled and retold for the rest of your lives.

Civil Union, Commitment Ceremony, Interfaith Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Interfaith, Jewish

Ceremony, Wedding

Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100
F5a78365 fb2f 42e0 9ebc b20b45498df1~rs 100

259 Park Street, Upper Montclair, NJ serving greater NYC area (973) 746-4608

Reviewed on 11/02/2017 Stacy Z

Gerald was amazing, from beginning to end! We met with a couple other officiants and he was the only one who really took the time to get to know us and make sure that the ceremony was personal and meaningful. Some others just have a Mad-Libs-esque template but Gerald's ceremony... Read More was obviously written with thought and care, and we've gotten nothing but compliments over how beautiful it was. He even managed to wrangle everyone at the rehearsal and make sure that everyone involved knew their roles for the next day. It was truly a pleasure to work with him - we cannot recommend him enough!

Reviewed on 6/16/2017 Megan S

My husband and I had our wedding on June 4, 2017, and our wedding would not have been as personal, intimate, reflective of our personalities, and show cased the love for one another and our families if it wasnt for Gerry! When we met for the first time he instantly made us feel... Read More comfortable, and welcomed us into his home to get to know us, and make our special day exactly what we wanted. He incorporated our family heritages, funny stories, important traditions, and readings from a variety of sources that made our ceremony truly special. We cannot thank Gerry enough for his talents, warm personality, and vision in helping us make our wedding day so wonderful- everyone is still talking about it, and I can imagine for years to come.

2017-06-16T20:36:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you for this wonderful review- all the things I try to accomplish.

Reviewed on 4/07/2017 Keira F

Gerry MADE our ceremony! I might be a little biased but it's still the best ceremony I've ever attended :) ...Gerry had us answer a list of questions, separately, about our relationship and how we met and our hopes and dreams for the future, which he incorporated into our... Read More personalized ceremony. He chose poems and readings that fit best with our story and the feeling we wanted to convey to our friends and family. There were many, many happy and emotional tears during our ceremony, which were all part of the intimate setting Gerry put together for us. We still get complements all the time about how unique and personal our ceremony was. We are still so thrilled we chose to go with Gerry as our officiant, he delivered above and beyond our expectations!

Reviewed on 1/05/2018 Crystal g

Gerald was fantastic from the moment we met him, up to our wedding day. I found Gerald off of the knot.com, went to meet with him at his home in Montclair and immediately knew he was the officiant for us. Both me and my husband were really comfortable with him and liked the... Read More energy and excitement that he brought to planning the ceremony. He gave tons of great suggestions on what we could include in our ceremony and responded quickly with a rough draft for us to review. On the day of, Gerry wanted to do a quick rehearsal to make sure everything was perfect and im so glad we did. When it came time for the main event everything went smoothly and i couldnt be happier!

2018-01-05T17:35:34 Response from the vendor

Your sweet words made my day!

Reviewed on 12/19/2017 Megan G

Gerald recently officiated our wedding in October. We chose Gerald because of his unique format and delivery of wedding ceremonies, and the day of the wedding he gave us exactly what we wanted. It was so personalized and it truly felt like he was invested not only in that day... Read More but also in our relationship as much as our friends and family that were present for the ceremony. Gerald was by far the easiest of all of our vendors to work with, and exceeded our expectations at every step. He includes you in each major step of the process including the planning and revisions of what he prepares to say that day and the overall script of the ceremony. We highly recommend Gerald for anyone who is looking for a one of a kind and personalized wedding ceremony.

Reviewed on 11/30/2017 Dana S

Gerald Fierst made our wedding the most special, meaningful day of our entire life!! Gerry took the time to meet with us, multiple times, get to know us on a personal level and understand what we wanted for our perfect wedding ceremony. I'm Jewish and my husband isn't and Gerry... Read More was able to marry us in a non-denominational ceremony, yet still incorporate certain traditions that were important to me. (I mean my husband really looked forward to breaking the glass so I highly suggest it if you're in a similar situation) Gerald has a natural way with his words and we received TONS of compliments about the originality of the ceremony and the length of the ceremony was perfect! I HIGHLY recommend Gerry because our wedding was the most amazing time of our life and we thank Gerry for making it official!!

Reviewed on 11/30/2017 Dana S

Reviewed on 11/13/2017 Andrea J

We could not recommend Gerry more – he was absolutely fantastic when he officiated our wedding ceremony on Sept 30, 2017. Not only did he meet with us on two separate occasions to get to know us and learn about our story, but Gerry also met us at our wedding venue for the... Read More rehearsal. His creativity and personalization made our ceremony special, heartfelt, and meaningful. At the ceremony, the microphone malfunctioned but he didn’t miss a beat and projected loud and clear for everyone to hear. Afterwards, countless guests told us that our wedding ceremony was the best wedding ceremony that they had ever seen. The wedding ceremony is the most important part of the wedding and we are so happy that Gerry was there with us!

2017-11-14T06:55:21 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for this review- it says everything I try to accomplish!

Reviewed on 11/08/2017 Natalie L

We recently got married on October 21st 2017. Gerald was absolutely amazing! He made our ceremony personal and unique with a bit of humor tied into it. My guest were laughing and crying and are still saying how it was one of the best parts of the wedding. He gave us exactly what... Read More we wanted. It was absolutely beautiful!

2017-11-08T09:15:58 Response from the vendor

Thanks for the lovely words Laughing and crying is just what I always want - the fullness of the celebration

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Natalie C

We where so appreciative to have Gerald officiate our ceremony. We went into our search like most ppl ok who's highly rated how legit are these reviews. When I came across Gerald on this site and went on his website there was a sense that here is someone who gets it. That we can... Read More bring friends and family together in a way that is far from typical. Gather round grab a hand and help us start this journey together. We all search for ways to express our inner self in a way that is true without getting lost in the moment. Gerald was our conduit to the world that day with his ability to tell our story with careful attention to our incite of each other. All of our guests felt engaged in the ceremony and not too many dry eyes among then. Thank you sir for making the entire process easy, fun and most of all special.

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Lauren W

Gerald was a pleasure to work with! He helped us create a beautiful ceremony and executed it perfectly! Something that we loved about our ceremony was the fact that Gerald helped tell our story and really personalized it for us! Our ceremony was loved by all!

2017-10-30T20:48:23 Response from the vendor

Thanks for the review. I'm lucky to tell love stories.

Reviewed on 10/09/2017 Maria H

Working with Gerald was an absolute pleasure! Everyone loved him and our ceremony. He made the whole process simple and is very informative when it comes to what steps you need to take to get your actual marriage license. When we were working on our ceremony outline he was very... Read More open to any suggestions but also gave much needed input. You really get a unique experience since he involves you every step of the way. I’ll admit we were a little worried at first when we were trying to come up with ideas for the ceremony but once we met with Gerry he was so helpful and reassuring. He is really there for you from start to finish. On the day of the wedding he was there early making sure everything was in place. I would recommend him to anyone who is looking for a beautiful ceremony and experience.

2017-10-09T13:12:17 Response from the vendor

And being a part of your day was a pleasure for me- thanks for the review and for including me.

Reviewed on 9/25/2017 Jessica P

Gerry is amazing! He is excellent and wonderful to work with. We read a lot of reviews while searching for officiants and were very pleased with all of Gerry's positive reviews. He was prompt throughout the whole process and very uncomplicated to work with, he was very... Read More accommodating to us. He listened to what we wanted, was flexible with our changes, and he customized the ceremony to make it special for us. He made the process easy and clear for us, and we are grateful that he officiated our absolutely perfect wedding day. The ceremony & Gerry will always be in our hearts. Thank you, Gerry!

Reviewed on 9/16/2017 Jennifer F

Gerald officiated our wedding on 8/17/17 and I cannot thank him enough for making our ceremony so heartfelt and personalized to the couple we are. Gerald told our love story in a way that engaged the audience, and had them laughing and crying throughout the ceremony. He was an... Read More absolute pleasure to work with, and extremely accommodating, even facetiming us to discuss ceremony details as we planned from Florida. He took the time to get to know us, and tailored the ceremony to our style - from the readings to the Toast, he was seriously the BEST decision we made through this wedding process. I've read it in his reviews and it happened with us, we have had multiple guests tell us it was the best ceremony they have ever attended and specifically inquired about Gerald. Thank you so much Gerald!

Reviewed on 9/16/2017 Morteza m

Gerri was great. He did a wonderful job performing our ceremony, which was very complicated. He was extremely pleasant, punctual, professional, and had great ideas to make our great moment a long-lasting memorable event. Highly recommended!

Reviewed on 8/28/2017 Tamar V

Gerry officiated our wedding on 7/29/17 at Mamaroneck Beach and Yacht Club. He was kind and delivered an amazing and beautiful ceremony. Guests are still talking about our ceremony and how much they loved it. Thank you for making our ceremony personal and special to us. We will... Read More never forget you! xox -Tamar and Jason Vacca

2017-08-28T21:10:00 Response from the vendor

The sky cleared and it was a beautiful day- memorable for us all. Thanks for posting and so glad that we could make the ceremony so special.

Reviewed on 8/26/2017 Mandy W

My husband and I had the pleasure to have Gerald celebrate our wedding. He spent time getting to know us, know our story and customized the ceremony for us by adding a lot of culture elements. The day was very memorable and sweet, thank you Gerald!

2017-08-26T11:32:00 Response from the vendor

A terrific day with so many wonderful people. Loved how many folks had journeyed so far

Reviewed on 8/18/2017 Tara E

Gerald sat down with us and helped us make a unique wedding ceremony. It was personalized with an Irish Blessing, toasts, and he gave us beautiful poems to choose from that really matched our relationship and love for each other. He was accommodating with our crazy schedules... Read More and doing a rehearsal the day before. His words were heartfelt and our wedding ceremony is one that people will remember for a lifetime. We are very pleased and recommend Gerald as a wedding officiant.

2017-08-18T11:09:52 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for sharing this and inludng me in your wedding celebration

Reviewed on 8/02/2017 Meghan V

We found everything we wanted for our wedding officiant with Gerry. After doing an exhaustive search online, we read a number of Gerry’s positive reviews on a number of different sites. From our first email, Gerry was responsive and very flexible. He was able to work around our... Read More crazy work schedules to meet with us. Gerry also has a wealth of knowledge of various wedding customs and traditions, across different faiths and cultures, and can help you create the perfect ceremony for you. For us, we were looking for a simple, yet meaningful, non-religious ceremony. Based on our meetings and the questionnaire Gerry had us fill out, he created a ceremony that truly told our story. Gerry has a true talent and we got so many compliments on our ceremony. It was exactly what we wanted. Some advice: when filling out the questionnaire, you get what you put into it. Take the time to think of meaningful stories from your relationship and Gerry will craft those into a beautiful ceremony.

Reviewed on 7/19/2017 Jessica R

We are so happy we had Gerald officiate our wedding. We chose him because of his storytelling abilities and immediately knew after talking to him that he would be able to make our ceremony very personal weaving in our personal history as well as our 2 religions. The ceremony was... Read More flawless and we received so many compliments. Most people said it was one of the best ceremonies they had ever witnessed! We couldn't have asked for more!

2017-07-23T18:18:00 Response from the vendor

Thanks for the lovely review

Reviewed on 6/15/2017 Lauren P

Gerry was the officiant at my recent wedding on 6/2017. We were very nervous when choosing an officiant, because both my husband and I come from Catholic families, but did not want to get married in church. Gerry wrote us a beautiful and personal ceremony that we couldn't have... Read More been happier with. Our parents were thrilled with how everything came out, and we had so many guests comment on how special and unique our ceremony was! Somehow, the ceremony was quirky and funny, yet romantic and formal. Gerry helped us choose both traditional and non-traditional readings that truly represented us as a couple. We are so happy that we chose Gerry to officiate our wedding!

2017-06-15T16:41:47 Response from the vendor

As I always explain, we want everyone to feel included and to reflect the fullness of the moment. So glad we succeeded and so appreciate your love;y review.

Reviewed on 5/24/2017 Tina E

Gerald officiated our wedding on 5.12.17 at The Bethwood. Gerald is an amazing storyteller that was able to capture the essence of our love story after only a couple of meetings. We are so appreciative to have that part of our special day be so authentic to who we are as a... Read More couple. We have received so many compliments about how our ceremony fit us perfectly and how beautiful it was. Thank you, Gerald for making our day truly special!

2017-05-24T12:05:13 Response from the vendor

Such a pleasure to share it all with you Thank you

Reviewed on 5/17/2017 Terri J

Having Gerald officiate our wedding was a great decision. We were planning our wedding from out of state and Gerald worked with us to make the process as easy as possible conducting phone meetings in place of in-person meetings and working around our schedule to accomplish... Read More everything that needed to be completed. The ceremony was unique to our guests but customized to represent our personality and relationship. Thank You Gerald for making our wedding unforgettable.

Reviewed on 4/21/2017 Robyn G

Tomorrow marks a week since our wedding day and my husband, Steven and I both agree that it was the best day of our lives. Our guests have also been commenting all week saying how this was the best wedding they've been to from start to finish. Gerry was the reason our ceremony... Read More felt so intimate and personalized. From the beginning, he got to know us and had us each answer questions separately to gain more familiarity with our background and relationship. He incorporated our inter-faith religions and added beautiful Jewish and Catholic touches. He also incorporated an adorable poem about dogs that related to love that our guests are still talking about. Our boxer, Jaxon was our ring-bearer and Gerry was so accommodating to our wishes to have him involved. He customized our ceremony and made us feel so special. We appreciate his honesty, ability to share and express our love for one another and heartfelt words in such a unique ceremony. Our guests were all blown away by the joyous and loving atmosphere he created from the start. We are so thankful to have found Gerry and even more thankful that he created such a warm, memorable and beautiful ceremony to join us as one.

2017-04-22T06:42:03 Response from the vendor

It was a great night What a joy for you to share your happiness with me. Thanks for the review

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Meghan C

Gerry just recently (11/12/16) married my husband and I in a beautiful ceremony at Oakeside Mansion, Bloomfield Nj. From day one - we felt extremely comfortable and excited to have Gerry write our ceremony. We met a few times over the year leading up to the wedding. Through... Read More those meetings mixed with Gerry's pure talent for writing and composing, we had an intimate, personal and fun ceremony. Gerry was able to find words that so perfectly expressed our love and friendship to one another. He also included our 1 and 1/2 year old in a way that was warm and fun. Thank You Gerry! You are truly great at what you go.

2016-11-23T15:31:56 Response from the vendor

There could be nothing more joyous than to have Zack as part of the ceremony and to see everyone's pleasure in the three of you as a family.

Gerald Fierst

Gerald Fierst will create a unique ceremony that combines your traditions, needs, and stories into vows that will be the heart of the wedding. Certified by the International College of Celebrance, Melbourne, Australia, as well as the Celebrant Foundation, he is one of America’s best known civil celebrants. His book The Heart of the Wedding has been praised as “a new road map in the landscape of love,” and he has been called an “American Master of Ceremony.” He is an award winning storyteller, actor, and writer and can reached at www.geraldfierst.com or www.theheartofthewedding.com.