Heart of Gold DJs

An all-woman crew of experienced DJs, we steer clear of the tired wedding standards, keeping the props, line dances, and tacky lighting off your dance floor. Putting our vast music knowledge to use, we'll work closely with you and yours to develop a playlist unique to and perfectly suited for your event.

Classical, Dance, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, Arabic, Indian, Latin, Persian, Polka, World Music

After Party, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music

388 Market Street Suite, Suite 1300, San Francisco, CA (415) 935-0744

Reviewed on 3/15/2017 Jen H

Erica and her assistant Ciara nailed it! This dynamic duo kept the jams flowing all night long at our 3.11.17 wedding. We had quite a few things going on- music indoors, outdoors, a live musician, toasts, etc. They had the night running smoothly and made it look easy. We met... Read More with Erica a few months before our wedding to talk about music taste, our vision for the night, and logistics. She was super helpful and enthusiastic. We handled the rest of our communications over email and phone. Processional, recessional, cocktail, and dinner music went-off without a hitch. And the dance party later on was epic!! I have not seen my relatives dance like that, ever. There were some sore hips the next day. The dance floor was never empty. We had conga lines, dance circles, and people being lifted-up on shoulders. It was everything we dreamed it could be. If you're looking for awesome DJs who can rock it, your search is over- go with HoG DJs!

Reviewed on 2/09/2017 Alanna W

Erica was AMAZING! She played a kick-ass playlist that keep people dancing all night long. We would highly recommended Heart of Gold DJ's for any event!!

Reviewed on 2/07/2017 Beth F

Congrats that you're looking into wedding DJ's! We chose Caity about a little over a week before our 10/22/16 wedding. We were pretty indecisive about who to go with for reception music and had talked with and looked into a lot of options. We were so lucky Caity was available!... Read More The week before our wedding, we met with Caity at a local coffee shop. She's super easy to talk to, knows tons about music, and really listened to us. My husband loves music more than I do, and was emailing our requests to Caity the night before! She really worked with us--all last minute! Hopefully, you're planning ahead a bit more. :) We had so much fun at our reception and got tons of compliments on the set-list from friends. Mother-of-the-bride led the Cupid Shuffle. Yes, that happened. Caity made a perfect set list for dinner music, first dance, and then transitioning into dance party. Also, we thought we had the ability to play music until we had to be out of the venue at midnight, but we were wrong. We had to stop playing amplified music by 11. Caity handled the changes with ease and grace! She talked to the woman, got an extension, and then rearranged her songs so that we still had some good final dance tunes. And we've joked about planning another wedding, if only to hire Caity again. :)

Reviewed on 1/23/2017 Rachel D

Allison DJ'd our wedding in San Francisco on 1/13/17 and she was undoubtedly the highlight of our reception. In fact, almost two weeks later, friends and family continue to comment on how much they loved her and how great she was. I first reached out to Heart of Gold in... Read More February 2016 just to hold the date and was immediately made to feel comfortable and that they were excited to work with me. Allison would check in with me when necessary and we had two Skype meetings to discuss what we wanted music wise and MC wise. I was very particular about all the songs I wanted to hear and Allison was super cool about all of my requests. Our wedding had less than 50 people at it, many older, some pregnant, and some shy and yet the dance floor had people on it all night and that is 100% because of Allison. If you want someone who cares about you and your preferences and is organized and excited to be working with you, look no further than Heart of Gold. I am a tough critic when it comes to wedding DJs and now I never want to go to another wedding that Allison isn't DJing. Thank you for everything, Allison!

Reviewed on 11/29/2016 Isaac L

We worked with Heart of Gold's DJ Ashleyanne for our wedding and could not have been happier. She was a joy to work with from the very start; super receptive to hearing our ideas, and able to provide us with guidance for things that we hadn't thought of. We're in the... Read More non-traditional, informal wedding crowd--meaning, no coordinator or heavy choreography--and Ashleyanne was able to lay out precisely what she needed from us, and what we could just let fly on the day of. As for the music, it is a blast having a party where you think to yourself "I love this song!" and then realize it's because your awesome DJ was listening when you told her what you like! She put together such a great set of music, from the ceremony to the bitter end of the dance floor. Another thing we loved about working with HoG, is that they lay out the pricing up-front, and stick with it throughout. They let you know what the rates are, and what various additions will cost, which makes it much easier to decide what kind of service will fit within your budget. They're prompt to respond to emails, and proactive about getting information when they need it, which I can say not all vendors have, but is massively reassuring. In short, you should definitely hire your DJ from Heart of Gold! They were a highlight of not only our wedding, but the entire experience. We really look back on working with them as a positive aspect of the entire planning saga.

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Amanda S

We LOVE DJ Sami! She did such an awesome job at our wedding. I love that we were able to pick the "vibe" of each moment - from cocktail hour, to dinner, to dancing. Sami did such an awesome job curating a playlist for our big day. She was also very accommodating when we had a... Read More freak rain storm and had to move inside last minute - she was able to set up in a space that was not originally planned. She was also wonderful to work with before the wedding - from first meeting to planning and everything in between. Sami was even kind enough to ask about my family heritage, and help accommodate some traditional songs into the wedding. I am SO glad we chose Heart of Gold for our DJ vendor. Everyone loved the dancing and complimented our music!!

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Allison A

From initial point of contact, throughout the entire crazy wedding process, Heart of Gold DJs and DJ Sami were absolutely awesome. I could not recommend DJ Sami any more...Not only is she totally fun and easy to work with, she is incredibly knowledgable, consistently responsive,... Read More totally reliable, and always available for questions and concerns. Having experience with vendors who are not as organized or on top of their game as Heart of Gold DJs, I am so so thankful that these ladies are as professional and dedicated as they are. Unfortunately, on the day of my wedding, our venue ran a complete shit show...Thank goodness that Sami is as organized, flexible, patient, and quick thinking as she is, otherwise our day could have been a huge disaster. Not only did she handle her professional duties amazingly (even when given a tough and unexpected situation to work with), she also took the time to check in with me to see how I was doing emotionally throughout the debacle. Working with Sami felt like working with a really good friend in that she really does care about you and your day. If you are shopping around for a DJ for your event, stop wasting your time. You have found the company that will provide you with amazing service for a very fair price.

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Jenna S

I cannot recommend Heart of Gold DJs enough. Amazing by every sense of the word, and far surpassed our expectations. We went to a wedding where Allison was the DJ and after requesting Fetty Wap, she threw it on, the crowd went wild, and it was history from there! We knew we... Read More needed her for our wedding DJ. Allison could not be more incredible to work with. She was extremely responsive, gave us her opinion when we needed help while still bringing our dream to life, and made planning the music for our wedding fun and easy. We had some last minute changes and needed to switch the ceremony location due to rain, and Allison was a trooper and figured out how to make it work flawlessly. Everyone had an incredible time thanks to her fantastic DJ skills and I am so grateful for her and Heart of Gold DJs! I honestly want to hang out with her outside of wedding planning... she's amazing. Do yourself a favor and meet her, and she's completely affordable too.

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Nikhil B

If you're reading this and you haven't already chosen Heart of Gold as your DJ, then stop reading and email them right now. We worked with Sami for our wedding in August of 2016. From our first meeting with her in December of 2015, we knew we had made a great choice. We had... Read More very little idea of what we wanted on a song by song basis, but we knew the general vibe we were hoping to create. Sami understood exactly what our vague and occasionally contradictory thoughts meant and translated it into the most amazing dinner and dancing sets. The dance floor was never empty, and we can happily report that at least 1 pair of pants was sacrificed as a result of people doing the splits because of how amazing the music was. On the day of our wedding, Sami worked with our planner, live musicians, videographer and photographer to make sure that everyone had what they needed. She even worked with my best man, who was our officiant, to make sure his mic levels were right, and gave him some key pointers to ensure that everyone could hear him :). Our wedding definitely would not have been the same with Sami and Heart of Gold DJs, and my wife and I both hope you choose them for your big day! You will not regret it.

Reviewed on 9/16/2016 Elissa P

Thank you so much, Allison!!! You were such a pleasure to work!! My wedding was literally only a week ago, but I couldn't wait to post about Allison's amazing DJ work! Our bridal party and guests still talk about how she picked all the right songs to get people out on that... Read More dance floor. She's super thorough, which I appreciate because I am such a Type A person, and she goes through every detail with you to make sure that your special day turns out perfect. From the surprise MCing (which we didn't think she would have to do, but she so gladly stepped to do it) to just getting everyone partying, Allison did such an amazing job. I wish we could do it all over again - without all of the planning of course. Thank you so much!!

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Jaclyn A

I am so incredibly glad we booked Heart of Gold DJs! My favorite part of our wedding was dancing with friends to feel-good grooves. Allison took the time to know our wedding vibe. She played many of our requests plus more that fit the mood perfectly. Allison was wonderful to... Read More work. Professional, on time. She kept us on track and MC'ed the event with confidence. We are so glad to be matched up with Allison! Music and dancing was the highlight of our event.

Reviewed on 9/08/2016 Lia K

We owe so much to Erica and Heart of Gold DJs for making our wedding the best day ever! During a meeting together we created a basic songlist in order to help her understand what flavor music we are looking for - we heavily relied on her music knowledge and for that we were... Read More very grateful. From our first dance to the last song, the dancefloor was packed and everyone had a blast. She tied together oldies to new hits in a way that made our diverse group of friends and family all feel like dancing. My dad, in his mid sixties, said he danced more that night than he has in his whole life! Other logistics were handled smoothly and professionally. Our timeline was followed as planned, including coordination with officiant, setting up poem readings, toasts, and introductions. I had no idea that the DJ had such an important role in tying together the wedding. Highly recommended. Rainier

Reviewed on 9/05/2016 Kylie G

I can't say enough good things about Allison and Heart of Gold DJs. She is such a nice person and easy to work with, not to mention an amazing DJ. We had such a great time dancing the night away at our wedding, and several guests commented how much they loved the music (a few... Read More went as far to say it was the best wedding music they had experienced). To top everything off, Allison stayed through the entire reception (after many guests were to tired to continue) and continued to play. My mother and a few guests hung around and had an amazing time dancing and singing the night away.

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Elizabeth S

We booked Allison for our Patio Wedding @ a dive bar in SF and couldn't be happier! From our first meeting with her we knew we were in good hands. She asked all the questions we didn't even think about and kept in good contact leading up to the big day. Our biggest thing was we... Read More wanted to party with our friends to 90s & current hip hop/rap, pop, & oldies w/ minimal announcements and zero cheesiness and Allison delivered and more! She was there early to set up and completely rocked the music.. it really helped guide the flow of our event. We figured most people would skip our dance floor since our wedding was on a Thursday @ Noon but Allison kept us dancing for almost 4 hours straight with music ranging from Too Short, Mac Dre, Montel Jordan, Tay Swift, Rihanna, Leon Bridges, & Stevie Wonder. She also picked the perfect time to switch to speeches and our dance together. Allison made our day absolutely perfect and we can't thank her enough!!

Reviewed on 8/11/2016

Ashleyanne was our wedding DJ and she is the BEST. I can honestly say our wedding would not have been as effortless, as fun, or as awesome without her. The whole process of planning a wedding is pretty stressful, but after meeting with Ashleyanne a couple times, we totally felt... Read More taken care of. She is organized, professional, and really just a cool person that you want to be friends with. She kept our dance floor crowded all night and every single guest raved about her. We are so grateful to have found her!

Reviewed on 8/10/2016 Melissa L

We worked with Allison at Heart of Gold and we absolutely LOVED her. She was so sweet and so much fun to work with. She went above and beyond her role as a DJ and even acted as our event coordinator during the ceremony and reception because we were in a pinch. All of the music... Read More was perfect, and all the guests even complimented us on the music selection during dinner (as if we had anything to do with that)! My pet peeve is a cheesy DJ who talks too much and makes lame jokes. Allison is NOT that DJ!! Once you have a meeting with her, you will understand completely.

Reviewed on 5/14/2016 Yifan L

My now-husband and I met working as DJs at an alternative rock station, so having great music at our wedding was important to us. We both agree: Heart of Gold DJs deserves the BEST wedding vendor award, hands down. Don't get me wrong, everyone truly contributed to making the... Read More wedding a magical day, and we loved our caterers, thought our rental company was quite spectacular, etc. However, Allison from Heart of Gold DJs blew it out of the water. I had first heard of Heart of Gold DJs when two of their DJs spun tunes at the Toasted SF Wedding Event. I remember walking around with my good friend Katie and telling her how much I loved the music, which sounded ambient and poppy, yet hip and alternative. Though we initially had chosen another option for wedding music, a series of fateful events brought us to Allison at Heart of Gold about two and a half weeks before our wedding (though we had had an intro conversation with her almost six months prior). We are so grateful to have had her on our big day, and I'll try not to ramble TOO long about why. Before the wedding: - Despite the short lead-up time, Allison arranged a Skype call almost immediately, and asked all the right questions to get us on track to a seamless wedding. - I have a pet peeve when it comes to wedding vendors: most of them never "reply all," even when asked nicely! Some do it for a while, and then forget again. This can be really frustrating when a couple is trying to plan a wedding together, and both want to be kept in the loop about details. Allison was honestly the ONLY vendor that consistently kept CC'ed recipients as part of the conversation, so we never had to forward emails or catch each other up separately. - She was really open to having us put together some specific songs that we wanted to hear, and always made us feel like she "got us" without needing any hand holding. - She offered some great suggestions for keeping the flow of the wedding day smooth (transitions, length of various segments, logistics, etc.). Day of the wedding: - Allison got there super early to scope everything out and give herself plenty of time to set up, despite having worked at that venue before. So on top of it! - She is just so damn good at her job. Between playing the perfect blend of our favorite songs and infusing her own picks at just the right times, she nailed the cozy, genuine, slightly goofy, and FUN mood we wanted. We heard everything from Andrew WK to Reel Big Fish to Ellie Goulding. A lot of my friends -- including other former and current DJs -- said she was the best wedding DJ they had ever experienced. Lots of compliments on her transitions and fades. - Besides nailing the music, Allison was so prepared to make announcements and serve as head MC for our wedding day. We gave her a detailed timeline, but some things unexpectedly got prolonged or delayed because of the weather. She made sure to communicate with the photographers and videographer (who all loved her, too), servers, and our wedding party to ensure that speeches, first dances, and announcements were timed ideally. - Minor thing: we had a little bit of an issue with one of the hand-held mics during our ceremony. It didn't take away from the wedding from us at all (we used the other mic instead). Allison is THE full package, and worth every single penny of the (reasonable) rate & tip we paid her. My main gripe is that we didn't hire her for longer!

Reviewed on 5/03/2016 Marcia C

Planning a Northern California wedding from Philadelphia had its challenges, especially when it came to picking the right vendors. After meeting with Meghan from Heart of Gold 7 months before our wedding, I felt pretty comfortable with our choice. After our wedding this past... Read More weekend, I couldn't believe how incredible and fun the night turned out. From the classical ceremony music and jazzy cocktail hour, to oldies for the beginning of the reception rolling into 90s, Prince and some new hits, Meghan created the perfect ambiance for our intimate wedding of 60 guests. Based on how full the dance floor was, it felt like we had a larger party. She even perfectly intermixed a few Arabic songs I sent her to play for my family guests from overseas. No one could resist dancing to those songs either. I couldn't have asked for a better music selection and DJ for our wedding. Only wish we could do it all over again!!

Best.DJ.Ever!

Reviewed on 12/03/2015 Jenni T

We hired Allison after she DJ'd one of my best friends wedding. She was just as awesome at my wedding as she was at my friends. She is so open to playing whatever anyone wanted (even if it wasn't popular wedding music). My guests are still talking about how awesome she was and... Read More what a great time she was having. Anyone I know getting married...or just having a party of any kind, I highly recommend her.

Reviewed on 11/30/2015

We were matched with DJ Meghan Pennie with Heart of Gold DJs. My now husband is very into music and he found this wonderful company that breaks the mold of the traditional wedding DJ to provide highly qualified female talent to create the soundtrack for your event. I found the... Read More pricing more than reasonable and honestly a bargain based on how amazing Meghan was at our wedding. Everyone still raves about how great the music was all night and how much fun they had dancing. While my husband and I did have a good deal of input of what type of music we wanted and didn't want, Meghan did an incredible job filling in the blanks with similar music based on our selections and creating the ambiance we wanted. She emphasized the desire to know our must play lists and our do not play lists so she could ensure our happiness throughout the day. We met with Meghan in person twice and she was always delightful. She has a great energy and love for music. She drove out to our venue for a walk through before the event with our planner to make sure she had everything she needed figured out before the big day. This made setup seamless and stress free and we really appreciated her dedication to making the day a success. I think the best part about her is how easy she made the whole process. We had confidence in her from the beginning to understand our personalities and what we liked. She caught on so quickly that it took a lot of stress out of the planning. My husband did dedicate a chunk of time listing out some pre-ceremony and cocktail hour music, but was able to keep these lists relatively short trusting that Meghan would pick up where he left off adding in her own selections. We really depended on Meghan for providing the right mix of dance music for the reception, since this wasn't my husband's specialty. Aside from listing some artists we loved and those we didn't want to hear she masterfully handled the rest. We couldn't be happier!

I LOVE Heart of Gold

Reviewed on 11/17/2015 Emily W

I found Heart of Gold through the knot, and I'm so thrilled that I did. We worked with Erica and could not have been happier with her and her music at our wedding! We specifically did not want a ton of top-40 type stuff played at our wedding, it's just not what we wanted to... Read More dance to at our wedding. She played an amazing set filled with soul, old-skool hip-hop, 80's classics and enough new stuff to keep it current. Erica was super easy to work with and very responsive. She graciously and patiently rolled with all of my last minute song insanity and I couldn't recommend her more highly! Bottom line: If you're looking for a DJ who won't play the chicken dance and WILL play Too $hort, the Star Wars Cabana song, and Robyn, she's your woman!

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Betsy O

Meghan was our wedding DJ and she did a fabulous job! We could not have picked a better DJ. Everything was so simple from the get go and she really understood our vision from our first meeting. The dance floor was always full up until the last minute. I would definitely... Read More recommend Heart of Gold DJ's and Meghan for your wedding or event!

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Nicolette A

WE LOVE HEART OF GOLD DJ'S! I hired Allison for my wedding just a few weeks ago, and she was incredible. Immediately we clicked. She had no problem with my hectic schedule (planning a wedding in 3 months makes things challenging) when it came to meeting up, and totally got the... Read More vibe of the evening that I was going for. When it came to the actual day I had no worries about anything. I didn't fully understand before this how important music is for your wedding, but its crucial! She played all our transition songs perfectly and when it came to the dancing portion, no one wanted that to end! It was, needless to say, the best night of my life and I know Allison was a big part of that. Thank you so much for the most amazing evening and letting me enjoy it stress free! <3

Heart of Gold for President

Reviewed on 10/16/2015 Shea M

Best. Night. Ever. Allison DJ'ed our wedding in the middle of nowhere Sierra Foothills in September (2015) and made magic. The next morning as people were rolling out of their tents/cabins, friends and family were talking about the music, dancing and how great Allison was.... Read More Every generation was into it. Nothing cheesy (unless upon request), and so danceable. In addition to the music, Allison was organized, flexible, and made the process simple and seamless for us. One more note for queer/gay couples out there, Heart of Gold was the best to work with. We felt completely comfortable in all the important ways with them. Grateful for that. Any party would be lucky to have her!

Reviewed on 10/15/2015 Brigid B

We love Erica and Heart of Gold!! From the beginning we knew we wanted to have an epic “dance party” aka reception … we also knew that wedding DJ’s can be hit or miss. We were impressed with the demos that Heart of Gold had available on their website and contacted the team for... Read More an initial meeting. From the beginning we knew we were in good hands. Erica asked great questions and took the time to get to know what we liked and our vision for music throughout the day. We provided Erica with a few “must plays”, but felt comfortable leaving the music selections up to her. We felt that she understood our style and our vision for the party. Our wedding guest covered a range of ages and backgrounds, and Erica knew how to get everyone on the dance floor. We can’t thank her enough for helping to make our wedding an event to remember!