Celebrant. Writer. Celebwriter.

Would you like your wedding ceremony to be fun and dignified at the same time? Of course you would. I personalize wedding ceremonies for good people just like you. I am a fan of true love, and true love deserves the right words. 'The Rachael Ray Show' producers asked me to handle their Valentine's Day Weddings three years in a row! I love this work, and I have decided to never retire. Plus, I refuse to go back to Wall St.

Religious Affiliations

Interfaith

Ceremony, Wedding

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Erin K

Where do I even begin?! Having Chris write and read our wedding ceremony was the best decision we could've made during our whole wedding planning process. To this day, our family and friends still say it's the best ceremony they've ever been a part of, and we are so, so grateful... Read More for that. We met with Chris many months before we got married after finding his work online. After meeting in person with Chris, we filled out a couple's questionnaire (which my now-husband and I definitely made much lengthier than it needed to be... but I'm glad we did). Collaborating and opening up to Chris was so easy due to his fun, easy-going nature. We spilled our stories in our questionnaires, and because of that, Chris made a ceremony that truly encapsulated our relationship - both the good and the bad, the happy and the sad. And with minor edits, it came out perfect. As Chris delivered our ceremony in late July, our guests laughed, cried, and smiled all the same. It was everything we could've hoped for, and we're so happy we went the nontraditional route, as it makes our wedding that much more memorable. Chris, thank you for doing such a rockstar job.

2016-10-13T09:58:15 Response from the vendor

I'm blushing! Thank you so much for these kind words! This should definitely inspire people to give me a call about their wedding, thank you!!! And thank you for giving me so much amazing material to work with. You had a great story and I... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 6/27/2016 Katie B

If I could give Christopher Shelley 10 stars, I would! From start to finish, he was professional, funny, and immediately put us at ease about our ceremony. Our ceremony was the hit of the entire wedding! It was touching, funny, and memorable. Everyone commented on how it "us" it... Read More was. That is a testament to Chris and the work he put in to make our special day even more special! We've now been married two months, and everyone is still talking about how great our ceremony was! I can't recommend him enough!

2016-06-28T14:38:58 Response from the vendor

I give this review 11 stars! Thank you Katie! I'm so honored that I got to officiate for you.

Reviewed on 2/05/2017 Jeffrey W

Creative, patient, reassuring and all around amazing! Christopher was a complete pleasure to work with! Our wedding was a surprise ceremony that was organized from a distance, another country to be exact. Christopher was very helpful and present throughout the whole process. He... Read More managed to script a service that included my partner and guests without having access to them. It was funny, original and all around entertaining. After the ceremony, every single guest asked me the same question, ‘Where did you find this amazing guy?’… He, beyond any doubt, made our simple ceremony a success. Extra points for his patience since the event was delayed because of a few hiccups with the venue that we had booked!

2017-02-06T10:54:07 Response from the vendor

Jeffrey, Merci bien! I am so happy that I got to be a part of your wedding night. You and Sylvain are treasures and I'm so happy for both of you. Je dit a tous vos amis et votre famille, merci une mille fois. Chris

Reviewed on 1/24/2017 Marwa E

I honestly can't say anything bad about my experience with Christopher Shelley. My wedding day was beautiful and exactly as I imagined. Chris really kept all the families engaged in the ceremony. He had a great way with words and was able to add in light humor as well as... Read More "wedding words." What was particularly interesting about our wedding that Christopher really impressed us with, is the fact that we had a religious officiant as well. He was able to work with everyone and split the ceremony in a very elegant and classy way. Thanks again !!!!

2017-01-24T18:39:51 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Marwa! Your ceremony was so interesting and I am grateful to the Sheikh for being so gracious with me. Plus, to this day, I have not seen another belly dancer at a wedding ceremony, but hope spring eternal.

Reviewed on 1/22/2017 Erika C

Christopher Shelley was the easiest choice during our stressful wedding planning. After he performed the wedding ceremony for Another couple that we knew, we decided he was the right person to officiate our marriage. He is very friendly and a joy to work with. He made the whole... Read More process as smooth as possible. We appreciate his kindness and humor! Our friends and family loved him so much that they asked for his information for future weddings.

2017-01-22T14:28:41 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much! It was an absolute pleasure to work with you and you had an inspiring story. Congratulations again!

Reviewed on 11/29/2016 Sarah M

We hired Christopher Shelley to be the officiant for our wedding, on October 29, 2016, at Bryant Park Grill. After the ceremony, as we were making our rounds to each guest during dinner, the most common question we heard was, "How do you know your wedding officiant? He was... Read More great!" We joked that he was Uncle Ned's kid and then fessed up: he was the best-rated officiant we found in New York City. We are from different religious backgrounds, and our wish was to have a non-denominational ceremony with certain flourishes from each faith. Chris worked with us from the beginning to make sure that our wishes came true. He first met with us to get a sense of who we were as a couple. He then emailed us a thorough questionnaire for us to fill out individually so he could use personal details about us and our relationship to write a first draft of our ceremony. His draft was touching and funny and really felt like it was extremely personalized for us. We then worked with him to make additions, subtractions, and edits to finalize the ceremony a few weeks before the wedding day. It was an extremely smooth and fun process! In addition to writing our ceremony, Chris also handled the marriage license procedure. We sat with him on the day of the wedding and signed the marriage license in front of him and our witnesses. He then took care of mailing it off to the City Clerk while we were on our honeymoon. It was a relief to come home to the finalized paperwork! We would highly recommend Chris to be your wedding officiant. He is funny, positive, and truly cares about making your wedding day memorable and special. He is also very pleasant to work with in the stressful months leading up to your big day. Sarah & Matt

2016-11-29T13:33:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you Sarah & Matt! Thank you for your trust! I'm so glad I was able to come through for you. Congratulations again!

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Michelle R

Chris was unbelievable. We did our wedding on November 25th at Battery Gardens and it could not have gone any better. Family and friends kept asking us, "Where did you find this guy?" If you're looking for an officiant, this is who you need. He is worth every dollar and... Read More really gets the crowd into the wedding mood. Five stars are not enough to rate this amazing guy.

2016-11-28T08:50:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you Michelle and Jeremy!!! Wow, what a great way to begin a day - reading a review like this. Thank you for letting me be a part of your big day, and congratulations to you both.

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Mike J

Perfect. That's how we describe our wedding ceremony thanks to Chris. My wife and I couldn't have imagined a more personal ceremony and be happier of the outcome. Two weeks before our wedding, Chris was recommended to us by our wedding photographers. Due to the short timeline... Read More we did not expect anything personalized for our wedding. By exchanging a few emails with Chris we were able to share a few details about us. To our surprise during the ceremony, Chris had beautifully strung together those emails to tell a wonderful story that we will cherish forever. We would 100% without hesitation recommend Chris.

2016-11-27T16:36:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for these kind words! It was a pleasure to come up with some good words for you. May your love just get stronger every day.

Reviewed on 11/11/2016

Working with and selecting Chris to conduct our wedding was one of the easiest parts of our wedding planning process – being able to work with someone to make a meaningful and personal ceremony was priceless. A friend suggested the Celebrant Institute having used the services... Read More for their wedding nearly a decade ago. Separately we looked at the website and both selected Chris as our first choice. After a phone call, followed by a face-to-face meeting we knew instantly that Chris would be conducting our service. Chris was great. He immediately set us at ease, as we were both struggling with the thought of publicly announcing our love in front of family after hiding ourselves for so many years. Collaborating and sharing our story – Chris helped us be true to ourselves. We wanted a non-traditional format yet something personal and meaningful since it was the ceremony that made gathering and friends to witness more than a party. Chris was able to deliver exactly what we wanted – tone, length, levity and seriousness capturing and conveying the essence of our relationship. From the initial conversations, questionnaire with some edit rounds, Chris was always available to us, providing prompt responses to any enquiry, and time for a second meeting to set us at ease.. Guests enjoyed it. We loved it! We were over joyed with the blend of tears and laughter, humor and sentiment. Thank you Chris!!

2016-11-11T10:34:02 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Kathy and Debra! Yes, the Celebrant Foundation & Institute should be the first place EVERYBODY looks when seeking an Officiant who will create a unique, personal ceremony. Celebrants are trained professionals who offer unparalleled experience to couples. I'm overjoyed to see... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Phoebe S

Chris was awesome, and we're so glad we chose him to officiate our wedding. We met with him a couple months before our wedding date to see if we got along - we did! - and then we worked together to come up with our ceremony. Chris sent us a questionnaire to fill out, and he... Read More wrote a draft of our ceremony from that. We went through a couple revisions before it was perfect for us. It was funny, poignant at the right times, and had our guests laughing and crying throughout. We're so happy with how our entire night turned out, and our guests all commented on how great Chris' ceremony was. We are beyond thrilled!

2016-10-26T20:32:29 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much! I hope the rest of the evening was great!!!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Tao B

Chris officiated our wedding at the Bowery Hotel over Labor Day weekend 2016. EVERYONE LOVED HIM. It's been a few months since the wedding and people still talk to me about what a great job he did. I have friends who now want to hire him for their weddings next year! The... Read More ceremony was a perfect mix of love and laughter and entertainment. What I loved was that our ceremony was truly about our love story. Chris is also super easy to work with - he's always responsive and is so sweet and makes everyone feel so relaxed before the ceremony. Hire him if you can get him - he will make the ceremony unforgettable!

2016-10-19T12:12:39 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!!! I had a blast doing your wedding. Bowery Hotel is such an iconic venue and the two of you were great to work with. Thank you for the kind words!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Lucy L

Chris performed the ceremony for our recent wedding in Central Park. When we first started looking for a minister, we didn't really know what to expect as I suppose you wouldn't really research a vicar in the same way in the UK! However, as soon as we spoke to Chris we knew he... Read More was the right person...my fiancé (now husband) wasn't a great fan of long, boring ceremonies and considers himself something of a comedian so Chris's balance of humour and sentiment hit just the right note. He told our love story beautifully, without it being cheesy and naff. Many of our guests commented after how great the service was and that was definitely down to Chris, I'd highly recommend him!

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Jessica W

Chris was absolutely amazing. He helped make our day special, even with as small as our wedding was. He added the right amount of laughs, the perfect portion of heartfelt, and incorporated the details that make mine and my husband's relationship so special. He was great with... Read More communication, and helped get things rolling on our special day without making it seem rushed or stressful. He worked with our budget and was very considerate of our circumstances. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking to make their very special day even more meaningful. I am so grateful we found Chris to be our officiant.

Reviewed on 10/03/2016 Melissa H

We can't say enough wonderful things about Chris. We wanted our ceremony to be non-traditional, personal to us and something all of our guests could enjoy. Chris's personalized ceremony was so thoughtful, and in the moment and captured in all of our photos you can see the tears... Read More and laughter not only from my husband and I, but from our guests. He made everyone feel included in this special moment. In fact many of our guests came up to us afterward to compliment the ceremony and to tell us they never had so much fun during that portion of the wedding. If you want an experience unique to you as a couple then Chris is your guy, look no further! Thank you Chris!

2016-10-03T19:49:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much! I love my job, as you can probably tell by now. Thanks for hiring me!

Reviewed on 8/28/2016

The hardest vendor to find and choose was our wedding officiant. Once we spoke to Chris, we knew he was our guy. Chris is super experienced and guides you through the process seamlessly. He's a true talent in his ability to capture your story, fill it with hilarious comedy... Read More (which I needed not to ball my eyes out through the entire ceremony), and heartfelt commentary that would have even the driest eyes in the audience crying. He is a ceremony artist. He brings to life everything you dreamt your ceremony would be as if he was a long time friend. Our guests couldn't stop talking about how beautiful the ceremony was, and how amazing our officiant was.

2016-08-28T11:34:53 Response from the vendor

Thank you Chelsea! I think I will begin using 'Ceremony Artist' in my marketing efforts!!! Thank you so much, and once again, thanks for hiring me.

Reviewed on 8/28/2016

Reviewed on 8/25/2016 Victoria L

My husband and I are very lucky to have found Mr. Chris Shelley to officiate our wedding ceremony in June 2016. He brought his brand of humor, wit, and artistry to delivering all the words that we had poured our hearts into on our wedding day. Our guests were very engaged... Read More because of his energy and how he directed the flow of the ceremony. I especially appreciate his wonderful reading of a romantic though obscure Shakespeare sonnet that I once heard read by Garrison Keillor - Mr. Shelley did it just as beautifully. He developed a detailed program for the ceremony based on in-depth, personal conversations with us months before the wedding and a written questionnaire that helped to capture in verbatim what we had wished to express. Mr. Shelley is a true professional who listened carefully and conveyed truly all the complex emotions and joy that we wanted to share with everyone on the happiest day in our lives.

2016-08-25T18:55:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much!!! I'll never forget your museum wedding. It's not often that I share cocktail hour with a dinosaur skeleton!!!

Reviewed on 8/07/2016

You can stop looking-you've found your officiant. Christopher is exactly what all other couples have said about him and more. We could not have asked for anyone better for our wedding day because he just understands and delivers the type of ceremony you want. We wanted an... Read More informal ceremony that all our friends and family could enjoy-and they did! One friend's husband sat with us afterwards and just went on about what a beautiful ceremony Christopher delivered. He and another friends's husband agreed that they wanted to divorce their wives so that Christopher could remarry them(to their wives-not each other). If you think he'll be too expensive, think again. We almost didn't contact him because a friend said "you'll never get him and he'll be too expensive". Wrong! Luckily we contacted him and heard from Christopher the next day-we were so excited. We'll always be grateful and appreciative of Christopher due to his caring and sense of humor.

2016-08-07T19:56:25 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for those kind words! I'm so glad you had as much fun in your wedding ceremony as I did. And I'm glad you didn't think I was too expensive...although I wonder now if I should make myself more expensive...

Reviewed on 7/17/2016

We could not have had a better experience. We ended up needing to plan our wedding on very short notice, less than three weeks. Everything fell into place quickly, but we needed an officiant. After reading the glowing reviews on the internet, we contacted Chris. He returned my... Read More email within two hours and was immediately down-to-earth, personal, warm, and funny. We exchanged a few more emails, spoke on the phone, and then met in person. In a short time he crafted a personalized ceremony that was exactly what we asked for: short, informal, and light. He had us all laughing and, when it came to the vows, crying, too. The groom and I chose not to write our own vows and this might be one of the best decisions we ever made, because his were much better than anything we could have thought of.

2016-07-18T09:34:15 Response from the vendor

Ha! This review made me smile, especially the part about the vows. How am I going to convince people to write their own vows now? Anyway thank you so much for the kind words, and for making my day.

Reviewed on 7/13/2016 Erika F

Christopher Shelley is truly the best officiant!!! We enjoyed working with Chris from start to finish. We exchanged many ceremony drafts until everyone was pleased with the final draft. Chris made us feel very comfortable and the ceremony was amazing and smooth!! Everyone... Read More loved Chris. If you hire Chris you will not regret!!! Trust me! Chris is the definition of what will make your ceremony BRILLIANT. He is a natural and knows how to keep the crowd entertained!!! I highly recommend Chris :)

2016-07-13T11:55:35 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words! I just hope that you had as much fun as I did!

Reviewed on 7/09/2016

I cannot recommend Chris enough. Planning a wedding, no matter how large or small, can get stressful and somehow the ceremony always feels like the spiritual heart of the whole exercise. We knew from the outset that we wanted a special ceremony that combined humor with emotion,... Read More with a little New York flair, while keeping our guests entertained. In addition, since my now husband's family is French and do not speak a word of English, we asked Chris if he could indulge us and deliver our ceremony entirely in French. He was such a great sport about it and rose to the occasion - our Central Park ceremony was personalized, charming, literary, funny and entirely what we wanted. To all the couples out there searching fruitlessly for a bilingual ceremony or one entirely in French, you've found your guy! Our French family members were completely blown away. MERCI MILLE FOIS!

2016-07-09T10:23:06 Response from the vendor

Merci Nishi! Thank you so much for sharing these wonderful sentiments. I'm so happy for you and Christophe!

Reviewed on 7/08/2016

Awesome!!! It was a great experience from the time we met Johnny several months before the wedding all the until our wedding night! He absolutely nailed the entire thing! He kept everyone on the dance floor the entire night and NO ONE wanted to leave! We wish we could have... Read More extended our wedding a few more hours!! Do yourselves a favor and book his A.S.A.P.! Thanks Johnny for making our night amazing!

2016-07-09T10:26:29 Response from the vendor

Wow! I have no idea who Johnny is, but he sounds like a great DJ! Also have no idea why someone would leave a review for Johnny on my page -- now people will think I live a double life as a DJ named Johnny.... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 5/08/2016

We needed an officiant quickly, so we did a handful of telephone interviews of prospective candidates. There was something special about Chris. He got us and what we wanted immediately. We invited him to our home, and he asked just the right questions to find out who we are,... Read More what we wanted, and what we needed for our ceremony. He guided us individually on preparing our vows, and the celebration he created for us was exactly right. He incorporated all the things we wanted to include, and delivered an insightful and moving ceremony. I can't recommend him highly enough. He was the perfect person for our special day. You will absolutely love him.

Reviewed on 4/26/2016

CHRIS IS THE BOMB DIGGITY! I would recommend him to anyone. He is charismatic, kind, fun best of all he truly cares. From the moment I contacted Chris on email to our first meeting - My husband and I knew he would be the best! on the most important day of our life he did not... Read More disappoint! Everyone talked about our ceremony into dinner. He emulated my husband and I to a "T" - He is such a talent.

Reviewed on 4/19/2016

Chris was excellent. From the initial meeting, to the questionnaire he asked me and my (now) husband to fill out to get to know us and help craft our ceremony, to the actual day of, Chris really knew what he was doing and helped make our ceremony perfectly us. We're fairly... Read More untraditional; my husband and I met doing tae kwon do at college, and our college team has a tradition where one member of a new couple breaks a wooden board over the other member's head. We knew we had to include this tradition in our ceremony. Chris was beyond excited to include it. We kept the ceremony relatively short and sweet, about 10-15 minutes, but it flew by. We got so many compliments from our guests about how much they loved the ceremony and Chris. Several direct quotes include: "that was the best ceremony I've ever seen!", "when it was over, I wished there was more to it!", "your officiant was hilarious!" If you're looking for someone to really tell your love story, get the guests excited to actually be at your wedding, and have a completely unique ceremony, hire Chris immediately. You and your guests will NOT be disappointed!

Christopher Shelley

Hi there. Thanks for scrolling down to the bottom of this page. I am the entire company. I am the writer, the talent, the show runner, the receptionist, the host, the phone operator, the communications specialist, the Social Media conductor, the vendor coordinator, the opening act, the charm distributor, and the guy who buys the coffee (for myself). I have a BFA in Acting from BU, an MFA in Creative Writing from NYU, and I'm a Certified Life-Cycle Celebrant, having studied at the Celebrant Foundation. Joan Rivers once hired me to write and host a memorial service for her dog.

Start a Conversation!