Celebrant. Writer. Celebwriter.

Would you like your wedding ceremony to be fun and dignified at the same time? Of course you would. I personalize wedding ceremonies for good people just like you. I am a fan of true love, and true love deserves the right words. 'The Rachael Ray Show' producers asked me to handle their Valentine's Day Weddings four years in a row! I love this work, and I have decided to never retire. Plus, I refuse to go back to Wall St.

Religious Affiliations

Nondenominational, Interfaith

Ceremony, Wedding

Reviewed on 7/18/2017 Taylor S

I cannot recommend Christopher Shelley enough!!!! My husband and I have been married for almost 2 months now and we still have guests talking about how amazing our officiant was! We only met with Chris once before our wedding but you never would have guessed that after hearing... Read More our ceremony. The couple’s questionnaire allowed Chris to speak as if he had known us for years! The ceremony kept our guests smiling, laughing, and truly understanding my husband and I’s love for one another. Chris worked with my husband and I separately to write our own vows and I’m so glad he encouraged us to do so. Our personalized vows were perfect and made our ceremony so special. Throughout the whole process Chris was extremely responsive, kept us both at ease, and helped to plan a perfect ceremony, he even handled some particularly difficult family members extremely well! It was a pleasure to work with Chris. He has been and will be one of the most memorable parts of our special day! We could not have chosen a better officiant!

2017-07-18T12:48:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much!!! Wow, this is the kind of review that just makes my day. Hey -- don't let those 'difficult family members' see your review...who knows how difficult they'd be then! All I remember is a bunch of delightful people, and I am... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 6/27/2016 Katie B

If I could give Christopher Shelley 10 stars, I would! From start to finish, he was professional, funny, and immediately put us at ease about our ceremony. Our ceremony was the hit of the entire wedding! It was touching, funny, and memorable. Everyone commented on how it "us" it... Read More was. That is a testament to Chris and the work he put in to make our special day even more special! We've now been married two months, and everyone is still talking about how great our ceremony was! I can't recommend him enough!

2016-06-28T14:38:58 Response from the vendor

I give this review 11 stars! Thank you Katie! I'm so honored that I got to officiate for you.

Reviewed on 10/14/2017 Marlena A

I can not recommend Chris enough. While most people forget the ceremony part of wedding celebrations - my guests still talk about how wonderful Chris is a month later. He worked with us tirelessly to craft basically a short story of our life, which he delivered with humor,... Read More tenderness and passion. My guests would go from laughing to tearing up and then back to laughing....it was a magical moment. There is no one better than Chris - he has a natural gift and talent for what he does.

2017-10-14T14:20:46 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much! It was my pleasure. Thank you so much for these extra-kind words. You made my day.

Reviewed on 10/12/2017 Shihan L

Chris def is worth more than 5 stars, come on knot! He is just great. It will be one of your best decisions you make for your wedding. I don't think I can ask more than Chris for officiating our wedding. He rocked the ceremony! And of course, we did too. But he is just so... Read More good!!! I LOVE his humor because they are just spontaneous. They were so funny and so authentic and just so cute! We were referred by our friend who has Chris and they said their guests have never experienced anything like Chris, and he was such a highlight, so now it is my turn to say that our guests were blown away by Chris's talent to officiant the wedding in such a ________(lacking adj and beyond description) way. If you want to have a unique celebration, a cute/fun but also very touching way to tell your love story, your search is OVER! Besides his smart and charming humor, he is also serious when he has to be. That's the best combo! Just like chicken and rice! He knows when to pause, when to make people laugh, and when to make people cry. You did the questionnaire but immediately, he captures the key points and tell the story in a cinematic, and dramatic way. He is a great writer, story teller, speaker and standing comedian. Chris, you are just GOOD. We are so happy to have chosen you as our officiant and we cannot ask for more. Thank you for everything you have done for us! It has been amazing! Our guests and of course , me and my husband, we loved every sentence you delivered at the ceremony. Thank you!

2017-10-14T14:19:45 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much!!!

Reviewed on 10/12/2017 Kathryn T

Chris officiated my wedding on 09/08/17 at 632 on Hudson. Before my husband and I started to plan our wedding, we were nervous about the ceremony. What I can say is our nerves were instantly at ease after we spoke to Chris a few months before our big day. We both come from... Read More different backgrounds, and we wanted a ceremony that was personal but also appropriate to keep grandma happy. From our first conversation and during the script-writing process, we were so happy with how Chris was receptive to our needs and maintained a positive beat throughout. On the day of our wedding, I was over the moon with how the ceremony went. Our guests absolutely loved Chris and continue to talk about him. There was a mixture of crying and laughing all at the same time; it was something I had never seen before at a wedding. The ceremony set the mood for the entire evening, a celebration full of love and laughter. I HIGHLY recommend Chris!

2017-10-12T13:47:04 Response from the vendor

Thank you for this wonderful review! It is always my pleasure to put people at ease about the ceremony, whether the wedding is months away or minutes away. When you put the right team together, good things happen. Thank you again!

Reviewed on 10/05/2017 Seth L

Chris was awesome. He was the officiant at my wedding. I was impressed with his thoroughness and at the ceremony he was funny, engaging and made it great. I was truly impressed.

2017-10-05T17:21:57 Response from the vendor

Thank you Seth!

Reviewed on 9/01/2017 Theresa Y

This review is by far the easiest to write because hiring Chris to officiate our wedding made it so special. Our ceremony was totally personalized just for us. Chris shared our story with our family and friends (a nice touch since our wedding included family members I hadn't... Read More seen in years) and filled it with a sense of humor that my husband and I both share. Working with Chris was easy too - we met with him way in advance of our wedding, but he was readily accessible and met with us again closer to the date. Our family and friends all commented on how much fun the ceremony was but I think my dad phrased it best: the ceremony kicked off our celebration on a great note!

2017-09-01T16:19:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you Theresa! I'm so happy that you and your family were happy with the ceremony. It was a lot of fun to write and perform.

Reviewed on 8/16/2017 Corine S

Chris was amazing and I couldn't be happier with how the ceremony turned out. From the beginning, he was kind, patient and funny and always willing to listen to our wants, needs and concerns. We knew immediately from our first conversation that we wanted him to officiate our... Read More wedding. Boy, we were so happy we did! He was funny, charming and graceful. Everyone loved him and we still get told that our wedding was hands down one of the best!

2017-08-16T11:25:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you!

Reviewed on 8/11/2017 Kendra S

Working with Chris Shelley was an absolute dream & SO MUCH FUN. We cannot imagine having worked with anyone else because Chris was a HUGE part in making our special day (and the months leading up) everything we hoped for and more. His process is totally clear, professional,... Read More and thorough from the start. Best of all he is just too funny and a really nice guy! Everything is just so smooth and fun that you don't even realize you are working your way through "bureaucratic formality" where in the end the officiant marries you and people sign a paper to make it official. What we had in the end was the MOST MAGICAL, MOST MEMORABLE, MOST SPECIAL ceremony that gave us and all our guests all the good feels...and 100% reflected who we are as a couple. We all laughed, cried, ugly cried, ugly laughed...we would not change a thing and really thank Chris for this. It's really touching to still hear weeks later that our guests enjoyed the ceremony as much as we did and that we had "the best officiant ever." Even before our wedding day, we really enjoyed the planning: Chris will set up an intro call and/or meet-up so everyone can get comfortable with each other and with next steps toward planning the ceremony; he will set deadlines for a really fascinating questionnaire process that prompts all sorts of funny memories and conversations with your partner and really good questions around family dynamics, cultural sensitivities, nuances to be aware of, etc. So important. We would do it all over again & change nothing. We were in such good hands and honestly just had a blast with Chris all throughout!

Reviewed on 7/17/2017 Allison C

Chris was awesome. He really customized our ceremony script and made sure it had the perfect combination of humor and emotion - even our guests commented on how great he was!

2017-07-17T14:02:00 Response from the vendor

Thank you Allison! You were both delightful and I'm so glad I got to officiate for you.

Reviewed on 7/10/2017 Matthew J

Chris was great. Even though we didn't know him he seemed like a friend who had known us for a while. We spoke with him to kick off the process. The ceremony script writing went well after we filled out his questionnaire to help wrote the story. Everyone at the wedding enjoyed... Read More his humor and he took the edge off at the alter. I would highly recommend him. Very progressional but personable as well.

Reviewed on 7/01/2017 Nick A

Chris officiated our wedding and blew everybody away with his unique blend of energy, humor and warmth. Our wedding was in April and, three months later, we still have people commenting on how amazing the ceremony was! From the first moment we spoke with Chris, we knew that we... Read More wanted him to marry us and couldn't wait to see what kind of ceremony he would craft for us. During the creative process, Chris was responsive (even when on a cruise with his family!), patient and really took the time to get to know us as a couple. The end result was a ceremony which was the perfect blend of not being overly familiar but still sounding like Chris had known us for years. If you're looking for a ceremony which is fun and really reflects your own personal story then please look no further than Chris. Choosing him as our officiant was one of the best decisions that we made for our wedding day!

2017-07-02T12:46:35 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much! You just made my day. I'm so glad you were happy with the ceremony and thank you again for letting me be a part of your day.

Reviewed on 7/01/2017 Nick A

Reviewed on 6/28/2017 Mia R

Preparing for the ceremony was my favorite (and most important) part of wedding planning. Mostly, this is because Chris was incredible. He helped create a meaningful, fun ceremony that everyone in attendance enjoyed (and believe me, we had a mixed crowd!). Chris's personality,... Read More filled with warmth, charm, humor, and depth, makes him a perfect officiant for any occasion. He took the time to get to know us and created a customized ceremony that was poignant and touching at an unbeatable price. Chris loves what he does, which is why his work was truly unforgettable. I cannot recommend this man enough!

2017-06-28T15:21:27 Response from the vendor

Thank you soooooo much! Your wedding was a blast. Your band was awesome too! (The Bailsmen) Thank you again.

Reviewed on 6/10/2017 Ashley D

Working with Christopher Shelley was an absolute pleasure. From our first phone call with him, up until the moments just before the ceremony, he was supportive, encouraging, and thorough. He worked diligently with us to craft a ceremony and vows that struck the perfect balance... Read More of lightheartedness and seriousness. My husband and I could not have been happier with the result. We cannot speak highly enough of Chris, and we would recommend him to anyone.

Reviewed on 4/13/2017 Irene B

Chris was an absolute blast to work with for our wedding. We hired him because we didn't want the traditional stuffy boring wedding and boy did he deliver. His ceremony was just the right amount of humor and sentimental. We were so happy with how the ceremony turned out.

2017-04-13T15:13:56 Response from the vendor

Thank you! It was a pleasure.

Reviewed on 3/27/2017 Renee P

WOW!!! Christopher Shelley was LITERALLY the best officiant we could have asked for!!! All night, all of our guests were raving about him and what a fantastic job he did!!! He was so easy to work with, professional, and had a great sense of humor!! It was the best wedding ever... Read More because of you!!! He takes serious parts and lightens them up and has everyone laughing one minute and crying the next!! He is truly amazing at what he does and shows the compassion and fire when he does it!!! I absolutely recommend Christopher- he is truly the best at what he does!!!!

2017-03-27T10:36:27 Response from the vendor

Renee, thank you for making my day! Thank you for your kind words and for involving me in your big day. It was my pleasure.

Reviewed on 2/05/2017 Jeffrey W

Creative, patient, reassuring and all around amazing! Christopher was a complete pleasure to work with! Our wedding was a surprise ceremony that was organized from a distance, another country to be exact. Christopher was very helpful and present throughout the whole process. He... Read More managed to script a service that included my partner and guests without having access to them. It was funny, original and all around entertaining. After the ceremony, every single guest asked me the same question, ‘Where did you find this amazing guy?’… He, beyond any doubt, made our simple ceremony a success. Extra points for his patience since the event was delayed because of a few hiccups with the venue that we had booked!

2017-02-06T10:54:07 Response from the vendor

Jeffrey, Merci bien! I am so happy that I got to be a part of your wedding night. You and Sylvain are treasures and I'm so happy for both of you. Je dit a tous vos amis et votre famille, merci une mille fois. Chris

Reviewed on 1/24/2017 Marwa E

I honestly can't say anything bad about my experience with Christopher Shelley. My wedding day was beautiful and exactly as I imagined. Chris really kept all the families engaged in the ceremony. He had a great way with words and was able to add in light humor as well as... Read More "wedding words." What was particularly interesting about our wedding that Christopher really impressed us with, is the fact that we had a religious officiant as well. He was able to work with everyone and split the ceremony in a very elegant and classy way. Thanks again !!!!

2017-01-24T18:39:51 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Marwa! Your ceremony was so interesting and I am grateful to the Sheikh for being so gracious with me. Plus, to this day, I have not seen another belly dancer at a wedding ceremony, but hope spring eternal.

Reviewed on 1/22/2017 Erika C

Christopher Shelley was the easiest choice during our stressful wedding planning. After he performed the wedding ceremony for Another couple that we knew, we decided he was the right person to officiate our marriage. He is very friendly and a joy to work with. He made the whole... Read More process as smooth as possible. We appreciate his kindness and humor! Our friends and family loved him so much that they asked for his information for future weddings.

2017-01-22T14:28:41 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much! It was an absolute pleasure to work with you and you had an inspiring story. Congratulations again!

Reviewed on 11/29/2016 Sarah M

We hired Christopher Shelley to be the officiant for our wedding, on October 29, 2016, at Bryant Park Grill. After the ceremony, as we were making our rounds to each guest during dinner, the most common question we heard was, "How do you know your wedding officiant? He was... Read More great!" We joked that he was Uncle Ned's kid and then fessed up: he was the best-rated officiant we found in New York City. We are from different religious backgrounds, and our wish was to have a non-denominational ceremony with certain flourishes from each faith. Chris worked with us from the beginning to make sure that our wishes came true. He first met with us to get a sense of who we were as a couple. He then emailed us a thorough questionnaire for us to fill out individually so he could use personal details about us and our relationship to write a first draft of our ceremony. His draft was touching and funny and really felt like it was extremely personalized for us. We then worked with him to make additions, subtractions, and edits to finalize the ceremony a few weeks before the wedding day. It was an extremely smooth and fun process! In addition to writing our ceremony, Chris also handled the marriage license procedure. We sat with him on the day of the wedding and signed the marriage license in front of him and our witnesses. He then took care of mailing it off to the City Clerk while we were on our honeymoon. It was a relief to come home to the finalized paperwork! We would highly recommend Chris to be your wedding officiant. He is funny, positive, and truly cares about making your wedding day memorable and special. He is also very pleasant to work with in the stressful months leading up to your big day. Sarah & Matt

2016-11-29T13:33:07 Response from the vendor

Thank you Sarah & Matt! Thank you for your trust! I'm so glad I was able to come through for you. Congratulations again!

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Michelle R

Chris was unbelievable. We did our wedding on November 25th at Battery Gardens and it could not have gone any better. Family and friends kept asking us, "Where did you find this guy?" If you're looking for an officiant, this is who you need. He is worth every dollar and... Read More really gets the crowd into the wedding mood. Five stars are not enough to rate this amazing guy.

2016-11-28T08:50:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you Michelle and Jeremy!!! Wow, what a great way to begin a day - reading a review like this. Thank you for letting me be a part of your big day, and congratulations to you both.

Reviewed on 11/27/2016 Mike J

Perfect. That's how we describe our wedding ceremony thanks to Chris. My wife and I couldn't have imagined a more personal ceremony and be happier of the outcome. Two weeks before our wedding, Chris was recommended to us by our wedding photographers. Due to the short timeline... Read More we did not expect anything personalized for our wedding. By exchanging a few emails with Chris we were able to share a few details about us. To our surprise during the ceremony, Chris had beautifully strung together those emails to tell a wonderful story that we will cherish forever. We would 100% without hesitation recommend Chris.

2016-11-27T16:36:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for these kind words! It was a pleasure to come up with some good words for you. May your love just get stronger every day.

Reviewed on 11/11/2016

Working with and selecting Chris to conduct our wedding was one of the easiest parts of our wedding planning process – being able to work with someone to make a meaningful and personal ceremony was priceless. A friend suggested the Celebrant Institute having used the services... Read More for their wedding nearly a decade ago. Separately we looked at the website and both selected Chris as our first choice. After a phone call, followed by a face-to-face meeting we knew instantly that Chris would be conducting our service. Chris was great. He immediately set us at ease, as we were both struggling with the thought of publicly announcing our love in front of family after hiding ourselves for so many years. Collaborating and sharing our story – Chris helped us be true to ourselves. We wanted a non-traditional format yet something personal and meaningful since it was the ceremony that made gathering and friends to witness more than a party. Chris was able to deliver exactly what we wanted – tone, length, levity and seriousness capturing and conveying the essence of our relationship. From the initial conversations, questionnaire with some edit rounds, Chris was always available to us, providing prompt responses to any enquiry, and time for a second meeting to set us at ease.. Guests enjoyed it. We loved it! We were over joyed with the blend of tears and laughter, humor and sentiment. Thank you Chris!!

2016-11-11T10:34:02 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Kathy and Debra! Yes, the Celebrant Foundation & Institute should be the first place EVERYBODY looks when seeking an Officiant who will create a unique, personal ceremony. Celebrants are trained professionals who offer unparalleled experience to couples. I'm overjoyed to see... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Phoebe S

Chris was awesome, and we're so glad we chose him to officiate our wedding. We met with him a couple months before our wedding date to see if we got along - we did! - and then we worked together to come up with our ceremony. Chris sent us a questionnaire to fill out, and he... Read More wrote a draft of our ceremony from that. We went through a couple revisions before it was perfect for us. It was funny, poignant at the right times, and had our guests laughing and crying throughout. We're so happy with how our entire night turned out, and our guests all commented on how great Chris' ceremony was. We are beyond thrilled!

2016-10-26T20:32:29 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much! I hope the rest of the evening was great!!!

Christopher Shelley

Hi there. Thanks for scrolling down to the bottom of this page. I am the entire company. I am the writer, the talent, the show runner, the receptionist, the host, the phone operator, the communications specialist, the Social Media conductor, the vendor coordinator, the opening act, the charm distributor, and the guy who buys the coffee (for myself). I have a BFA in Acting from BU, an MFA in Creative Writing from NYU, and I'm a Certified Life-Cycle Celebrant, having studied at the Celebrant Foundation. Joan Rivers once hired me to write and host a memorial service for her dog.