Jay Maxwell's Music by Request LLC

local Charleston area; travel for a small fee

We deliver WOW!!

Since 1982, Jay Maxwell's Music by Request, LLC has been delivering WOW by creating an unprecedented experience at every event. Our goal is to make sure your event is seamless, runs smooth and goes above and beyond what you are expecting.

Rehearsals + Parties, Ceremony, Reception, Wedding

Aebf0cfd 749a 4015 9cf0 6e3c13a96bd2~rs 100
8a61e330 1677 498d b00a 94b0759eb63a~rs 100

local Charleston area; travel for a small fee (843) 832-3535

Reviewed on 2/06/2018 Leah A

I met Jay and his wife Donna at a wedding show last year, shortly after I got engaged! They both really impressed me with their professionalism and attention to detail - they knew their current brides by name, whenever one of them stopped by their display. In addition, they... Read More offered one of the most affordable packages that my husband and I came across in our research, so we moved forward with hiring their company for our ceremony music, ceremony AV (microphones), and reception MC/music. We were initially assigned Kevin Baltimore as our DJ, and our initial meeting with him was great, but shortly before our wedding, he was called away and thus unable to perform at our event! Donna called to let me know the news personally, and Jay himself stepped in to fill Kevin's role. Both my husband and I felt very taken-care-of in that regard, and Jay did a great job on the wedding day - our guests were on the dance floor all night, and he played all of the songs we had requested! At the end of the evening, he also provided us a CD with all of our 'special' songs - processional, bridal song, recessional, first dance, father-daughter and mother-son dances, our last song and exit song. I would definitely recommend Jay's services to other brides who are looking for an affordable DJ option, but don't want to compromise on quality and service.

Reviewed on 1/29/2018 Brandy H

I would like to thank Jermaine at Jay Maxwells music by request LLC ! He was so amazing that the other vendors were coming up to to me saying how wonderful he was!

Reviewed on 1/08/2018 Rob J

Mike was our DJ, and he was absolutely awesome. He paid very close attention to every detail, made sure everything was timed perfectly, and did a great job executing the whole thing. He did our ceremony and reception, and we couldn't have asked for a better guy--professionally... Read More and personally. Mike cared about our preferences, needs, and dislikes more than we could have ever expected and then honored all of them. Also, the staff at Jay Maxwell's Music was superb; they were incredibly friendly, quick to respond to emails, and super organized. We would 100% recommend this company and this DJ!

Reviewed on 1/02/2018 Devon H

We hired Jay Maxwell Music By Request for our backyard wedding and reception this past October. They provided an incredibly helpful guidebook outlining all of the songs you might need and suggestions for common selections. Then, about 30 days before the event, Mike Bender was... Read More assigned as our DJ and we setup a call and walked through all the specifics of what we were looking for: a casual backyard bbq vibe. We sent over a list of specific songs and times for the ceremony which Mike got perfect! We also sent over a list of songs we wanted to hear during the afternoon. They played pretty much everything as far as I can tell! It started pouring rain about half way through the afternoon and Mike did a great job of adjusting his setup location with minimal disruption to the music. Overall, we were very happy with Mike and Jay Maxwell Music By Request!

Reviewed on 11/04/2017 Sydney H

So happy we went with Jay Maxwell as our DJ! When we inquired for information in the beginning of our planning, Jay sent us a song book filled with a million songs and we knew right then that we were 100% going with him! This book made planning our music choices so easy and was... Read More so conclusive! We met with Jay in person a few weeks before the wedding where we went over everything--song choices for every moment (cake cutting, send off, etc.) It was so great knowing Jay was so on it, because we knew we didn't have to worry about a thing. The night of, the dance floor was full the entire time from when it opened to our send off. We wish the night didn't have to end!

Reviewed on 10/20/2017 Kay T

Jay Maxwell delivered an incredible performance for our Wedding at Wild Dunes in September 2017! We met with Jay for an hour a few days prior to the Wedding to discuss our musical tastes and ideas - then before the wedding I sent Jay an email with additional song requests - and... Read More he put it all together to create a perfect evening of music for us and our guests. We, and many of our guests, danced the night away -- the dance floor was never empty and there was something always being played to get people moving. Jay played some of our personal favorites to sing to (which we and many guests joined in on) and he graciously accepted requests from guests that he built right into his set on the spot. And when he night was over, he presented us with a DVD he had developed of most of the songs played during the evening. Additionally, we had live musicians for the actual ceremony, but Jay provided mics for their performance along with wireless mics for the Officiant and others participating in the ceremony. The sound was flawless! Thank you Jay for all your excellent work on our behalf! I cannot say enough about how pleased we were with Jay and his role as DJ and Master of Ceremonies!

Reviewed on 10/12/2017 Kimberly A

Mike was over the top INCREDIBLE! He made everything so special and listened to everything I wanted played but threw in some jams that hyped up the party!!

Reviewed on 4/16/2017 Olivia N

Rhett was awesome! He truly kept us dancing all night and my wedding guests have continued calling and texting me about how awesome our wedding was! Thank you guys so much for giving me exactly what I wanted and rockin it out on the dance floor!

Reviewed on 2/23/2017 Elizabeth R

Jay Maxwell was great to work with! They have a booklet that organizes and lays out exactly what they need in terms of music and the procession of events at both the wedding and the reception. My guests enjoyed the music, and the DJ read the crowd very well! My father even... Read More commented on how enthusiastic the DJ was and that he was a great MC. I would recommend Jay Maxwell to anyone looking for a DJ for a special event.

Reviewed on 12/16/2016 Amy D

We chose Jay Maxwell for our DJ for our wedding in October. Jay was very informative, professional and affordable. We initially loved our decision as soon as we spoke with him. I gave it 2 stars because we weren't thrilled with the DJ, Rhett, who we ended up with. Rhett was... Read More great on the phone during our interview and we believed he had understood what type of music and atmosphere we wanted, but I guess he didn't. We told him that we wanted high energy and for everyone to have fun but as soon as we finished our introductions and first dance he went into three slow songs in a row. My sister actually had to go up on stage and ask him to change the song and put something on that people could dance to because no one was on the dance floor. He also never asked us for a must play or do not play list which I thought was odd because I'd always heard that the DJ will ask for that. I guess I should have been more assertive with that, but due to the stress of our wedding having to be rescheduled last minute as a result of a hurricane, I honestly forgot to ask him about it again. I have heard great things about Jay Maxwell and I honestly think that the outcome would had been different if we had a different DJ.

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Marisa P

I am so happy we went with Jay Maxwell for our DJ for our ceremony and reception. Jay provided us with a booklet to fill in certain songs (bride walking down aisle, entrance songs, last song, etc.) to be played and in the back of the book was list of songs to help us figure if... Read More we couldn’t decide on song. We met with him about a month before our wedding to go over the song picks we had made. I loved that he played the song we specifically chose for certain parts (ex: original Ghostbusters theme song for bridesmaids and groomsman entrance) to make sure it was the correct version, if there were more then one. He prioritized making sure all of our names were pronounced correctly. The best was when one of our groomsman heard his name and he was shocked Jay said it right. We went over the names phonetically with Jay ahead of time but to see that he actually listened to that and that little bit of excitement we saw in our groomsman was awesome. We did not want a “club” vibe where music was constantly being mixed and Jay was totally great at transitioning to each song as opposed to only hearing 10-15 seconds of a song before it was changed to the next. On our RSVPs we had guests request a song to be played, almost everyone participated and Jay went right along with it! It was so fun seeing peoples’ reaction when “their” song came on! Especially if that person hadn’t been dancing and they would pop right up and just go for it! The volume of the music was also perfect, I have been to weddings where it was just too loud and even the people off the dance floor, were unable to talk to the person right in front of them. Jay was amazing, I wish I had another big party to plan because there is no doubt in my mind who we would hire!

Reviewed on 8/05/2016 Melissa H

We booked Jay Maxwell Music by Request for our ceremony and reception music at the Cooper River Room in Mt. Pleasant, SC. Our DJ, Jackson was absolutely amazing! He kept everything going smoothly, handled all of the requests (including some Italian music that was not on his... Read More playlist), and even got on the dance floor with us. We and our guests didn't stop dancing until the very end of the reception. It was such a fun night thanks to Jackson and Jay Maxwell Music! Highly recommended!!

Reviewed on 5/27/2016 Anna C

Jay and Donna were AMAZING! Not only did they provide the music and entertainment for our evening but they also helped coordinate our rehearsal! Jay and Donna were a pleasure to work with. They always responded promptly to questions and were very open to any songs or ideas my... Read More husband and I had about the wedding. On the day of the wedding Jay had everyone out on the floor dancing! That portion of the evening was so much fun we didn't even realize it was time to leave! I would highly recommend Jay to anyone looking to have great music and great personality!

Reviewed on 5/20/2016 Kelly M

DJ Kevin (DJ Multiply) was incredible!! We recently got married on April 14, 2016 and he was more than we could have imagined. Kevin made our wedding so special. He kept everyone dancing, helped create such a wonderful ceremony, and was really incredible!! Thank you for making... Read More our wedding so perfect!!

Reviewed on 3/13/2016 Andrew R

Our DJ was so good! He had people on the dance floor all night and my guests kept talking about how much fun they had. I highly recommend them and they are super friendly too!

Reviewed on 10/31/2015

We had a great experience from beginning to end when booking our DJ through Jay Maxwell's! My husband and I went to a wedding a year ago and had a wonderful time due in part to the DJ, Kevin Baltimore. We knew when we got engaged and began planning our own wedding that we wanted... Read More Kevin to be a part of it. We were not let down! Kevin was so easy to work with and definitely provided a fun atmosphere for our reception. The dance floor stayed packed through the end and our guests had a great time dancing the night away:) Because of the quality of services and the value when compared to other companies in the Charleston area, I definitely recommend Jay Maxwell's! Be sure to ask for Kevin:)

Highly Recommend

Reviewed on 9/21/2015 Bethany M

These guys are the best! They take the time to meet with you and get a real feel for how you want your wedding day atmosphere to feel. Never had to worry about them. Which was great! Would recommend them to anyone considering hiring them.

Wonderful experience!

Reviewed on 9/21/2015 Sarah J

DJ Mike of Jay Maxwell was so great in helping us make our reception perfect. he had excellent advice and tips and was wonderful to work with. The company as a whole was very professional and I would definitely recommend them to others.

DJ Jay

Reviewed on 9/01/2015 Kendrea F

Jay was AMAZING! Book him for your event! And he sweetly provides you with CDs of your music after, so you can keep on dancing long after your reception ends.

Reviewed on 7/18/2015 Ashlyn R

Jay and Donna were great from the beginning! We loved working with them to create our flow of music for the reception and everyone had an amazing time the day of!

No Complaints

Reviewed on 7/16/2015 Vicki A

Mike was awesome - he did a great job directing our guests when we needed him to (for different family photos etc.), played all good tunes based on the guests "likes" (how much they danced) and he was super friendly about everything too. He even listened to my specific wants... Read More on my ceremony music - where in the song I wanted him to play etc. Very reasonably priced too! Just a head's up, you will have to tell them a few times your details but, I get it, not their full-time job and doing several weddings at once, it makes sense to me!

Reviewed on 6/25/2015 Stephanie S

We are so glad we went with Jay Maxwell’s Music by Request for our wedding DJ! We cannot thank them enough for helping make our wedding day perfect! We met Jay at a bridal show and was very pleased with his quickness to respond to all communications. Mike was our DJ and he was... Read More awesome! He got to know our tastes in music and made our wedding reception a ton of fun! Our dance floor was full from the time the music started to the very end of the night! My guests loved being able to request songs and Mike made sure there was a good variety! The anniversary dance was a huge hit that we continue to get compliments on! He also did an awesome job with all introductions and announcements. We would definitely recommend Jay Maxwell’s Music by Request & Mike specifically to anyone in need of a DJ!

Reviewed on 6/21/2015 Stephanie T

So glad we went with Jay Maxwell's Music By Request for our wedding! Working with DJ Mike from out of town was easy (we FaceTimed for our consultation) and his knowledge and skill showed by how smoothly our wedding went. I loved being able to only play requested songs, as we... Read More included it on our RSVP card. Mike went about and beyond to find music we specifically requested for our day that wasn't in their normal catalog (our guests loved having Postmodern Jukebox at the cocktail hour!) and we loved getting copies of our songs to keep and play at home. I couldn't imagine using anyone else as my DJ. Mike, Jay, and Donna epitomize quality and customer service...they rock!

DJ Mike Bender

Reviewed on 3/26/2015 Brenda S

Awesome!!! He had us out on the dance floor all night long. He knew just what to play during our reception dinner and what to play to get us all out on the dance floor. He was easy to work with. He did a great job of playing off of our song list and taking requests. He helped... Read More make our reception a lot of fun. I would definitely recommend him again. He was also familiar with our venue - the Citadel Beach Club so he had his required Isle of Palms vendor license and everything he needed to fit all the rules of our venue.

Great DJ!

Reviewed on 1/11/2015 Kristy T

We purchased the Signature Package, with Jay himself as the DJ. He and Donna were both very responsive throughout the planning process. Jay was great during our meeting with him and made sure that we had all the details sorted out for his schedule. Jay even became familiar with... Read More artists we suggested that he didn't know in order to personalize the music for our wedding reception. He did a great job editing a song for us for one of the parent dances, and all the announcements and songs went off perfectly. Overall, we were very pleased and would definitely make the same decision again.

Jay Maxwell and Donna

Jay Maxwell has been DJing for over 36 years and he loves to Deliver WOW to all his clients! He and Donna have been married for almost 27 years and work their DJ business together as a team. You will usually speak with Donna for the 'business' part and she will answer any questions you have about the business, our pricing structure, etc....Jay handles the actual DJ part along with their fantastic team of 8 other guys.