Wedding Dance Lessons

We have a special place in our hearts for couples learning their wedding dance and we would love to help you with yours! Our wedding dance lessons will be personalized to you as a couple and your song choice. We customize your dance to your style, from dances that are casual, elegant or even a theatrical choreographed performance! We teach all styles including ballroom, latin, salsa, swing and tango. Wedding dance lessons are scheduled by appointment.

African, Arabic, Bollywood, Caribbean, Celtic, Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Flamenco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Indian, Jazz, Klezmer, Latin, Mariachi, Persian, Polka, Pop, R&B, Rock, World Music

Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100

189 Brunswick St 3rd FL, Jersey City, NJ (201) 969-6260
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 1/20/2018 Kevin C

Professional, Patient, and Perfect Partners. Just a few words that to describe our experience with the Jersey City Ballroom. My husband and I wanted to kick off our wedding reception with a dance routine that would be memorable for both us and our guests. Our instructor... Read More Werner choreographed and coached us through two different styles that were both fun and challenging to learn. The entire team at Jersey City Ballroom was supportive and positive throughout our lessons and helped us overcome the fear of making mistakes. As a non-dancer, I was impressed how we quickly we were able to learn the dance steps and moves over the weeks of our lessons. One week before our wedding, the whole routine came together and we were fully prepared. On our wedding day, the hard work and lessons paid off and we surprised our families and guests with an exciting dance routine that began a wonderful night of memories. We are grateful to Werner & Shmkiri and would strongly recommend them to those looking to make wonderful memories and share in the experience of dance.

Reviewed on 7/27/2017 Michael C

We love working with Dylan on our first dance and cannot wait to perform it at our wedding. You could say we are beginners (haha), but he has been great creating a dance for us and catering to our ideas and abilities. Once the wedding is over, and we are less busy, we can't... Read More wait to take more group classes and keep improving our sweet moves! Needless to say, we have learned a ton and recommend this to any soon-to-be Mr. and Mrs.

Reviewed on 3/04/2017 Kira D

When people ask me about my favorite piece of wedding planning, I immediately smile and tell them it was our dance lessons. We took lessons with Emily in the weeks leading up to our wedding, when the stress levels of final planning and coordination, as well as stresses from our... Read More demanding careers were at an all time high. Emily was INCREDIBLY accommodating to the time slots my husband and I were available (usually on the later side during the week) and the second we got to the studio, I was able to let EVERYTHING roll out of my mind and relax. Our dance lessons were SO much fun and it was amazing to be able to escape and connect with my husband in the height of wedding stress! Emily was easy to work with and made us feel so comfortable- esp. my husband who didn't know how much he was going to enjoy it until we started! Not only were the lessons enjoyable and fun, but Emily also choreographed the perfect dance to our first song and ensured that my request of looking "polished" but not cheesy was accommodated. She taught us details and steps that we could execute easily and her efforts made both my husband and I so much more comfortable on our actual day. We will DEFINITELY be taking dance lessons again in the near future and I love that we have found another way to relax, have fun and connect as we embark on our new married life!

2017-03-08T16:23:16 Response from the vendor

Hi Kira, Thanks so much for sharing about your experience at our studio! We're glad to have been a positive influence on your wedding preparations. Our goal is to tailor your first dance to your style and our motto is that "dance makes life better,"... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 4/08/2018 Melissa K

I just wanted to take one dance lesson so I knew a few steps for our first dance, but after taking one lesson we were hooked and signed up for 5 more. Dylan was very patient with us and choreographed a beautiful simple dance for us (as requested). We had so much fun rehearsing... Read More and even more fun at the wedding. Our guests were surprised and loved it.

Reviewed on 2/19/2018 Tina P

My husband (fiancé at the time) and I stumbled upon a Groupon deal for Jersey City Ballroom, so we decided to give it a go and we were so glad we did. We went in with the thinking of doing just one class just to learn the proper frame of how to hold each other, and left with a... Read More unique, choreographed dance to our wedding song and an unforgettable experience. We absolutely loved working with Dylan. He was so patient with us beginners and constantly had us laughing the whole time. To be frank, it was definitely a journey where you hit points of frustration but you have to trust yourself and your instructor that it’ll eventually click. And it is such a rewarding feeling when it does. Definitely worth all of the oohs and aahs we got at our wedding!!! Highly recommend Dylan and this studio for dance lessons. Shimkiri is also the most welcoming and sweetest person you’ll meet – she makes it feel like you are part of the dancing community and goes out of her way to introduce you to other fellow dancers. It’s a wonderful place.

Reviewed on 1/06/2018 Madhuri S

We came to Jersey City Ballroom to learn some basic dance moves for our wedding, with just under a month to prepare. In just a handful of private lessons, Emily helped us choreograph an entire opening dance to a song of our choosing, but kept it simple enough that we could learn... Read More it quickly and dance with confidence on the big day. We loved learning together and dancing to our song at the reception, and it couldn't have happened without Jersey City Ballroom. We still go back for lessons as a married couple!

Reviewed on 10/28/2017 S. B

We highly recommend Jersey City Ballroom! Shimkiri gave us fantastic, private dance lessons for our first dance and we did a bit of salsa on the side as well. She is super talented and choreographed our dance from start to finish, tweaking aspects as we went and giving amazing... Read More feedback. She made all the steps very understandable an took a beginner to new unforeseen heights. In the end we killed our first dance and did not feel any anxiety about it! Thank you Shimkiri!

Reviewed on 10/22/2017 Erika L

My husband and I loved learning our choreographed waltz dance with Werner. We took 5 classes to learn a dance for our wedding song and knew through the wedding consultation that we'd enjoy working with him to learn it. He was extremely helpful and patient with us and we had a... Read More ton of fun through our time there. We were so excited to share it with our family and friends on our special day. Our guests were impressed with our dance and asked us tons of questions afterwards on how we learned it! I'm very happy we went with Jersey City Ballroom and would highly recommend to others looking for a place to learn a choreographed dance of any kind.

Reviewed on 6/08/2017 Maria S

My husband (fiance at that time) and I wanted to surprise our guest and chose a tango for our first dance (my fiance is argentinean) so we were looking for someone who can help us with a choreography. We bought a wedding consultation and one class from groupon and we loved it!... Read More We had a consultation with Shimkiri we explained her our idea and she put us with Joel who was an expert in tango. After that we bought a 5 class package since we had only 3 weeks for our wedding. Joel created a choreograhy for the song that we wanted and it was simple but beautiful. Our guests loved it! I definetely recommend Jersey City Ballroom they are so nice and professional. We are so happy that we found them!

Reviewed on 10/28/2016

I purchased a Groupon for JC Ballroom for our first dance which consisted of 2 lessons, we did not plan on going any further than that. We worked with Shrimkiri. Well we absolutely loved her! We ended up purchasing more classes and she choreographed an awesome dance for our... Read More first dance and song choice and worked with us diligently, and professionally, not only on the dance part but on form and on eye contact and body language. Our first dance was AMAZING (and we are not good dancers) and absolutely kicked off our wedding with rising stars! I highly highly recommend this ballroom and Shrimkiri for the most fun experience of our wedding planning process we always had so much fun during class and really enjoyed this whole process, we will be back! And if you are considering dance lessons in the area look no where else!! this place is fantastic!!!!! Highly recommend as part of the process :)

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Erin V

My fiancé and I, despite our usual organization, did not come to Jersey City Ballroom until one month to our big day (which is next week!). Both of us not the most graceful of dancers, we wanted some help in our flow and needed some pointers on moves to do so that neither of us... Read More looked like flailing fish! We were matched up with instructor, Emily L., and she was incredibly patient! She worked with us once to twice/week to prepare us in time and helped us to create a really beautiful dance that both my fiancé and I feel confident in performing for our big day. Emily was open to our questions and completely let us decide if a move was right for us or not before adding it into the dance. They record all the dance moves on paper and video (so you can practice) and encouraged us to just be ourselves. We highly recommend!

2016-12-09T18:54:39 Response from the vendor

Hi Erin, Thank you for your review! We're really glad that you enjoyed your dance lessons. Congratulations on your recent wedding!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Anna P

My husband (fiance at the time!) and I came to Jersey City Ballroom to prepare for our first dance as husband & wife at our wedding. We stumbled upon the business after doing a general search &finding nice reviews. Before going to JC Ballroom we first went to a Fred Astaire... Read More dance studio in NYC. It was a nice experience but we were confined to one smaller area & we didn't touch on as much in the lesson. Again, it was not bad but didn't knock our socks off. When we went to JC Ballroom we met Shimkiri & her husband & worked with Shimkiri. Even in the first lesson we felt more of a connection with our experienced, very sweet &lovely teacher, Shimkiri. She gave us nice detailed feedback on little things we both tended to do (e.g. "do you like to bob when you dance?" me, "Yep! But I should probably not do that for ballroom dancing right? Shimkiri (smiling) "Yes maybe let's smooth it out.") to help us not only look great but to feel confident. I think anyone getting married who wants to do the dance starts to question their moves & worry they will look silly or stiff but if you go to JC Ballroom to prepare, NO NEED TO FEAR!! Shimkiri not only taught up more moves in the first lesson than we did at the first studio but we also got to work the floor more (the studio itself was nicer as well by the way & nice & open) & go nice tips on style & flow so we felt more confident to perform in front of our loved ones. She was especially great at noticing little missteps, funky "style" things we would do etc. & correcting us in a way that did ever make either one of us feel bad. If you aren't getting something she just addressing it in a different way, whether that's verbally or by having you mirror her moves or dancing with you or your partner for you to feel or see the correct manner of doing that step or move. Shimkiri was also great at addressing things we may have forgotten to bring up that were important, such as style of dress, shoes, type of dance space (its shape as well), reminding us to sneak in a quick practice on the big day (since it's the only time you traditionally get to practice in your wedding dress...like most ladies I didn't want my love to see my dress till that day so no way to practice in it till he saw it on the big day), break in shoes, etc. Another thing we really loved was that with Shimkiri we got to choreograph for our top song choice! At the first studio we were told it was too slow temp & wold be too difficult. When we went to JC Ballroom Shimkiri loved it & said no problem at all so long as we sloooowed down our steps:) It meant the world to us to get to do our song as it was very sentimental to us & now we will forever have that memory of dancing to the song & that's PRICELESS. We also choreographed the routine with my dress in mind which was cool, so I practiced with a long scarf (to act like a train) in my waist band & held it for the routine for a pretty cascading effect with the fabric. The only things was (no fault of JC Ballroom!) on the big day when we did practice real quick, it turned out my train wouldn't allow for one of the moves so no big deal, we just adjusted that type of turn. In fact during the actual dance we also accidentally cut out some basic steps BUT because Shimkiri also trained us on never stopping, going with the tempo, in case of a mental space out (haha) we went with the flow, no one noticed & we made up for it! Can't recommend them enough! We look forward to coming back for more dancing

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Hsianghci c

We had so much fun learning our wedding dance from Alec! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/23/2016 Emily W

Our photographer recommended this studio, and despite having two left feet (a full four between the two of us) my fiance and I decided to try one lesson and see if we could learn some steps we might be able to use at our wedding. To my surprise, my fiance had a blast and we've... Read More been coming back to build a full wedding dance. Our instructor, Emily L, is extremely patient with all of our missteps, and Shimkiri has been able to work around our super-busy schedule. It's been our favorite part of pre-wedding prep!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Ershad Z

My wife always wanted to dance. Our wedding was coming up and she convinced me to go learn. She found jersey city ballroom and we went for an open house. I felt like I had 2 left feet:) Shimkiri and the crew made it so welcoming and fun that I decided to stay and give it try.... Read More Alec, our instructor was amazing. he was very patient with me. He created this awesome dance ensemble and made sure we were ready on time for our big day. With his help, we did great and everyone was amazed. I can't say enough about him. Because of him,we went back after our big day and wanted to learn more. I highly recommend their studio if you are looking to learn. Their friendly staff make it super easy for you to learn. Even if you have 2 left feet😊

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Jen S

This place is the best! Extremely positive and fun environment. Very patient instructors. We changed our wedding dance song multiple times and Shimkiri was kind enough to re-choreograph, even at the last minute. Also a great stress relief from wedding planning! Definitely... Read More recommended to all engaged couples :)

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 meghan t

We had such a great time learning our first dance with Werner. We took 4 classes and had a fully choreographed number that wowed our guests. It was a fun activity for us during the stressful planning as well!

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Dassi F

My fiance and I absolutely LOVE working with Shimkiri and Werner to choreograph our first dance. I would wholeheartedly recommend them for all your dancing needs. Here's why: As brand new dancers, Werner immediately made us feel welcome and comfortable by first teaching us some... Read More basic steps. He was very good at picking out a style that made us feel good about our dancing capabilities and finally landed on our perfect style- the Cha Cha. Helping us find our rhythm was no small feet but he made it easy and enjoyable! Both Shimkiri and Werner are very responsive, which is very helpful when you're a stressed out bride! The studio is clean, with lots of natural sunlight. The wall-to-wall mirrors make it easy to check your form and posture. For a private session, there is, at most, only one other couple on the floor so you never have to feel squished. And above all, we're confident that we will have the most wonderful first dance and we are very much looking forward to performing it on our special day.

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 K Y

My fiance found the classes online, and it's been a very pleasant experience so far. I've had one class with Shimkiri in preparation for the wedding, and from the first time we met for consultation until the first class, Shimkiri has been very warm, welcoming, and patient. My... Read More fiance and I didn't have a song decided the first class, and Shimkiri began with teaching how to dance together and the basic steps(foxtrots?), and it was a very good intro class. She teaches with her husband, and sharing one studio for more than one private lesson can sound confusing, but it actually didn't really bother us much as Shimkiri stayed focused on us and paid attention to the details. In the midst of all the joyful yet stressful preparations, I do think dance class will be the one part that will be the fun part, thanks to Shimkiri.

Reviewed on 10/16/2016 Wilson S

I am not much of a dancer, and have never been very coordinated in that area, so when my fiance stated that he wanted to have a choreographed dance, I was rather nervous for the embarrassment to come. Shimkiri and Werner took our wedding song and adapted it to our needs, asking... Read More if we wanted it to look professional, casual, or otherwise. We're going for a casual dance, and Werner was our primary instructor. He was very patient and helpful as he walked us through each step and guided us through the appropriate holds and structure of the rumba. He even taped part of our practice for us to review in case we forget anything! Overall his calm demeanor helped my nerves and provided a great experience. I am actually excited for my first dance instead of nervous! Thank you, guys!

Reviewed on 10/14/2016 Lorelei D

My fiance and I love to dance, but have usually just gone up, shaken things and hoped that there was no video. Fast forward to our new neighborhood and we came to find out that there was dance studio 2 blocks away. We went, we tangoed (in a group class) and we were hooked. We... Read More added group swing (because you ain't got at thing without it) and also took private lessons. We recently had an engagement party and had one of the instructors come and teach a half hour merengue class to our party-goers. There were smiles on all of the faces of the participants, and, while I'm happy to say that's there STILL NO VIDEO, we knew what we were doing. And loved it! If you're looking to learn how to do dance overall, learn and choreograph your engagement or wedding dances or just want to have fun meeting a bunch of friendly people, head to JC Ballroom.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Colette S

I am a bride and a competitive dancer for over 2 years. I recently moved into Jersey City a few months ago and I immediately joined Jersey City Ballroom taking both private and group lessons. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the studio. Shimkiri and Werner made me feel... Read More welcomed and right at home immediately, feeling part of a community right away. Both made an extra effort to get to know me, my passions, what gets me excited about dancing, and Werner and I have put together an individual plan to get to where I'd like to be dance-wise. In addition to loving my individual dance classes and my group dance classes, my fiance (not a competitive dancer) and I plan on working with the studio to get our first dance choreographed, and I have all the faith in the world that Shimkiri and Werner will do an amazing job at making it special! I highly recommend Jersey City Ballroom to beginners and experienced dancers alike, couples, and those individuals who'd like to dance as a single.

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Claudia A

My fiance and I started taking lessons this past spring and are very happy with the progress we've made while having a ton of fun! We chose a difficult dance, the Viennese waltz, and our instructor Alec has done a wonderful job of breaking it down for us so as to not overwhelm... Read More us. We've also taken a number of group classes in swing and other basic ballroom dances which we enjoyed a lot. It was fun to dance with other students in the class and meet the other instructors who are all excellent. Shimkiri, Werner and all their instructors are very professional, open-minded, and tuned in to what we as students need. We're so happy to have found JC Ballroom!

2016-10-24T12:01:46 Response from the vendor

Hi Claudia! Thanks so much for the nice review! We really appreciate it and we're glad to have had a positive impact on your dance & wedding journey. See you at the studio soon. :) All the best, Shimkiri

Reviewed on 8/14/2016 Benjamin N

My fiance and i have been taking group and private classes to prepare us for our wedding dance. Our instructor Shimkiri is AWESOMEEEE. I didnt know i had hips or dancing feet till i started taking classes. She is patient, attentive and breaks down the dance moves to where a non... Read More dancer can understand. In the group classes we were able to meet the other instructors and they to are as equally awesome. If you are looking to create a dance routine for your wedding or looking to impress on the dance floor go to jersey city ballroom to get your groove on. Cheers BNg & CwNg

2016-08-15T17:15:42 Response from the vendor

Hi Ben, Thank you so much for your review. You two are fantastic to work with. Wishing you every happiness! Best wishes, Shimkiri

Shimkiri & Werner Figar

Shimkiri and Werner are dance and life partners. They met at a dance studio, fell in love and got married in 2012, so they know exactly what you are going through with with your own wedding! They believe that dance makes weddings (and life!) better and want to share that with you. Shimkiri, Werner and their team of instructors are professional dancers who actively compete and perform. They are all dedicated to making your wedding dance journey fun and enjoyable so that you have a first dance that reflects your personalities and style!