Joe Payne Photography

Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC & Destinations Worldwide

Real weddings. Authentic moments. Timeless images.

Hi, my name’s Joe and I’m a British-born Raleigh, Durham & Chapel Hill NC wedding photographer documenting weddings in and around Raleigh and across North Carolina. My speciality is modern wedding photography based on a fusion of documentary photojournalism and fine art portraiture. My approach to photography is very much based on a photojournalistic or documentary style. Every wedding is different and that should be reflected in your photos. So on your wedding day, rather than directing, I aim to be as unobtrusive as possible in order to capture the authentic moments and true character of your wedding day. I complement this with relaxed, yet artistic, portraiture that captures the personality and relationship of each couple. The end result is a timeless visual documentation of your we

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Vintage

Bridal Portraits, Day After Session, Engagement

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Digital Files, Film Photography, Online Proofing, Photo, Printed Enlargements, Printed Proofs, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing, Wedding Albums, Photo + Video

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100
D5539e19 8bbd 4a86 b4c8 d7be04c6c773~rs 100

310 South Harrington St, Raleigh, NC Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC & Destinations Worldwide (919) 397-4889

Outstanding Photographer: Joe Payne

Reviewed on 1/12/2013 Katherine W

Picking Joe Payne as our photographer was one of the best decisions we made in our wedding planning. I can't say enough great things about him and his work. When we initially met, we had a few drinks together and he explained his style and prices and was very straightforward.... Read More He even altered one of his packages for us so we could get exactly what we wanted. He is professional, prompt and takes his work very seriously. Joe took my bridal portraits a month before the wedding and he did a great job keeping me comfortable and smiling throughout the session. He returned photos to us in record time and we were able to pick pictures to print before the wedding. Joe stayed in close contact with us throughout the planning process and made sure we were all on the same page for the day of the wedding. And we were. Everything was perfect. The pictures from the wedding are absolutely magnificent. I can't stop looking at them! The moments he captured from the ceremony and the reception are so special and real. I know Joe's photos will keep us smiling and remembering our big day for the rest of our lives. I would highly recommend him to any bride!

Reviewed on 1/15/2013 ALLEGRA RAFF R

Joe Payne was fun to work with, very professional, and takes great pictures.

Amazing Artist & Beautiful Photographs!

Reviewed on 12/30/2012 Akiko Y

My husband is a professional videographer, and we wanted beautiful photos that would capture our special day in a candid way. Joe is a wonderful artist, and we couldn't be happier with our engagement and wedding photos. They are so beautiful and captured many special moments of... Read More the day. Joe is relaxed and friendly but extremely professional. During the planning process, he was very helpful with any questions I had, and he was always quick with communications. On the day of the wedding, he even gave us a ride from the ceremony to the picture taking site. It was so great to have Joe as our wedding photographer, and I highly recommend him. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed on 2/13/2018 Brandy M

We absolutely loved our experience working with Joe! Joe is a true professional in every sense of the word. Most importantly, his work is amazing and we feel truly blessed to have had our day captured by him! Throughout our wedding planning journey, he was incredibly... Read More responsive, available to discuss our questions, communicated clearly with us, and did an awesome job of planning with us on the front end so that we went into the day with a thoughtful plan of the day's photography. On the day of our wedding, Joe was absolutely amazing and captured so many incredible shots that we will keep for a lifetime. We have thoroughly enjoyed meeting Joe and working with him, and can't wait to find any other occasion to work with him again! We would highly recommend him, without any reservation!

Reviewed on 2/11/2018 Jill H

r our wedding. He is genuinely interested in making great photography. He does an equally good job of capturing great moments between people and also creating beautiful compositions. We are very happy we chose him for our special day. He provided a good balance of posed photos... Read More and more artistic portraits and candids.

Reviewed on 1/28/2018 Hallie C

Joe is such a wonderful photographer to work with. He exceeded our expectations in every way. He came out to our wedding venue a week early and scouted some amazing shooting locations that were definitely off the beaten path. The day of, he was respectful of every wish and need... Read More I had during our photo sessions. Joe captured some of the most amazing and artistic shots from our wedding day, and we could not have been happier with our choice of photographer. Our photos were ready in 4 weeks and when we ordered a large portrait to hang in our home, he drove from Raleigh to Greensboro to hand deliver it. We will definitely be using Joe as our photographer in the future as or family grows.

Reviewed on 1/17/2018 Teresa T

Our Wedding was outdoor on a mountain and it was WET and WINDY! Joe found ways to make all the pics clear and beautiful! He scouted out locations for weather and took AMAZING pics! During the ceremony he climbed all over that mountain to create beautiful photos. He clearly... Read More understands light, color, and perspective. In his photos I feel beautiful and our venue appears stunning! I also want to note that Joe was tireless! He was committed to the process for so many hours with a bright and enthusiastic demeanor. He certainly outlasted the bride! Thank you Joe for seeing us through my special day, even if it was a driving mist a mile high! :D

Reviewed on 6/21/2017 Elizabeth H

Joe is a true professional photographer and I highly recommend his services. I had bridal portraits done with Joe and they are truly memorable, quality, with a beautiful artistic touch that you do not find in a generic studio backdrop. If you want truly unique and gorgeous... Read More bridal or wedding photos then you will certainly get this from Joe. His easygoing personality makes him great to work with and he helps give direction for brides that aren't quite sure which poses and angles are best. I am a very happy bride.

Reviewed on 5/17/2017 Adriane L

Joe was so great to work with right from the start. Far from your ordinary wedding photographer. Received my photos quickly and was so happy with the results. Highly recommend hiring Joe for amazing photos.

Reviewed on 3/20/2017 Jemalia A

I am not sure how I came across Joe's website but when I did and saw his work I knew he was going to be the photographer for us. He was punctual and patient because I was a bit hungover from the night before. He was so accommodating of our delayed schedule and took it in... Read More stride. He was everything we hoped for and we are so very pleased with how all of the photos turned out. My husband and I would 200% recommend Joe Payne Photography for any of your photography needs!!

Reviewed on 1/09/2017 Eleanna B

When looking for a wedding photographer, we scrolled through several wedding sites until we came across Joe’s work. We contacted Joe after perusing his gallery and discovering that his work looked more like it needed to be up in a gallery rather than collecting dust in a... Read More photo-book on a forgotten shelf in the house. Flat-out, Joe’s work is nothing short of spectacular. He manages to capture not just the important moments and pivotal people, but also the spirit and emotions behind each moment. Joe has a perfect vision for his work, and ensures that vision is captured in his photographs. He savors the critical moments, but isn’t hesitant to step in and direct the scene if people aren’t cooperating as necessary - a lifesaver for staying on a tight wedding schedule. The bottom line: if you want a wedding album that will inundate your facebook with “like” notifications, hire Joe.

Reviewed on 11/01/2016 Toni G

I can sum up our experience with Joe in one word - Phenomenal! Joe came highly recommended and after seeing his work online and meeting with him in person, we knew he was the photographer for us. Meeting him and having him photograph our engagement, bridal and wedding portraits... Read More was the best decision ever. Joe is easy-going and makes you feel relaxed even in the most unnatural of positions. Not only did everyone look fantastic, but Joe's keen eye and creativity made for some truly one-of-a-kind shots! My best advice is to book Joe early, he is in high demand and worth every penny!

Reviewed on 10/06/2015 Nicole M

AMAZING!!!! He was everything I ever could have asked for in a photographer and then some! I saw his pictures online and fell in love with them when I was in the beginning stages of looking for a photographer. I called him to feel him out and I remember at the end of our... Read More conversation I knew without a doubt that he was the photograph I wanted. He is not only personable and knowledgeable but he sticks to his values which I really appreciated. During our conversation (10 months before my wedding) I mentioned how I really wanted to try to get a couple sunset pictures if we could and he googled what time the sun would set on my wedding day and what time would be best to try to take some sunset pictures. I'm sure it was as easy as plugging my wedding date into google, but I really liked his approach on it. I had also mentioned how I had seen some pictures where the sky was crazy colors and this is where he let me know that he could enhance the colors that are there but if the sky is blue he isn't going to paint it yellow and purple and I honestly loved that he has those standards and sticks with them. After seeing his picture and talking with Joe, he was hired! I was telling everyone that if I could get one picture like the ones that were on his blog I'd be a happy camper! Now my wedding day... Joe is extremely professional and friendly. You can sense his love and passion for what he does. He is willing to climb or lay down on the ground to get the shot that he's looking for too! He's like a sniper of a photographer, he just has an eye for it and runs with it. Joe made me feel so comfortable and confident in knowing that he was capturing our day for us. The pictures I have seen so far are beyond incredible! He gives you some 'sneak peeks' shortly after your wedding which is great and the picture that I have seen so far, WOW is all I have to say. I've definitely gotten the 'picture like the website' that I was hoping for and then some. My expectations have been far exceeded!!! I can't wait to see the rest of my pictures but I already know that I'm going to be thrilled! I would recommend Joe to anyone and everyone that wants a photographer that loves and cares about what he is doing and really enjoys being a part of your wedding knowing how important of a day it is. Joe really was a sniper behind the camera, he was behind the scenes capturing your day yet right there for you if you had any questions. Joe, thank you sooooo much for documenting our wedding day for us and doing what you love to do. I loveeee our pictures!! Oh and btw I think I'll tell Wayne to 'seize your wife mate' forever 😊 haha thank you again for everything!!!

Love him and his work!

Reviewed on 4/05/2015 Nichole P

We went with Joe because we wanted a photographer who prioritized capturing the experience in an artistic way and is in the "moment"… (no boring shots with him). Joe was amazing! His personality and flexibility worked perfectly with our hard to "wrangle" wedding party/family. He... Read More was responsive and professional in both our correspondence and in-person communication. He was also true to his timeline of picture turn around. We'll definitely be reaching out to Joe for future events!

Amazing and Talented Photographer!

Reviewed on 4/17/2014 Tara M

Choosing Joe for our engagement and wedding photos was the best decision we made for our wedding! Photos were a big deal for us and we really did our research when looking for local photographers. After initially emailing with Joe, we thought he was out of our price range and... Read More weren't sure we were going to work with him, even though we loved his work. Joe called us a few days after we initially contacted him and worked with us to accommodate both what we wanted and our budget and I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out! Joe is an extremely talented photographer, easy to work with, prompt, and professional. He knows how to make you feel comfortable and how to get the best photos possible. He worked with us throughout the planning process to make sure he understood what type of wedding we were having and what we wanted out of our photographs. Our photographs are amazing and I am so glad we will have them forever to remember our wedding day! Joe's work speaks for itself, but I would recommend Joe to any newly engaged couple!

One of a Kind Photographer

Reviewed on 12/03/2012 Lisa S

My husband and I knew we had found our soul mates when we found each other. Finding Joe was the next best thing. Not only did he have great pictures in his portfolio but from the first time Mark and I sat down with Joe at Hibernian, we knew his personality was the best fit for... Read More us! He made us feel comfortable and at ease. Immediately we trusted him. After our engagement session down town Raleigh, he had by far proved to us that he was the right man for the job! He did't make us do cheesy stuff, which we both hate, and the session flew by. Neither my husband nor I like to have our pictures taken, but there was never a time during the entire engagment session where we were wishing it would end! Joe has a remarkable talent for capturing people in the moment. All of our pictures showed us (just better looking versions), being ourselves, in the moment, and neither of us have ever taken that many good photos in our life! Before the engagement session I was nervous about how our wedding pictures would turn out. We didn't want to spend a lot of money on pictures and then not like any of them. (neither of us are photogenic) After I saw what Joe was capable of doing, with little to no effort on our part, I knew that we could relax about the wedding day. It was so nice to finally see the moments from our wedding day that Joe had captured. He seemed to be everywhere but completely unnoticed, capturing literally-picture perfect moments! Besides his amazing ability to take once in a life time pictures, he is very efficient and had the best prices in town. Our album was ready for us the day before we returned from our honeymoon. Not many people work that hard anymore these days! Joe was truly a blessing and we WILL have him shoot every other special event in our lives

One of the very best!

Reviewed on 11/06/2012 Peter F

As a professional wedding photographer, I had a lot of options when it came to choosing a photographer. Joe’s photojournalistic style and adept use of light convinced me that he was the right photographer for us. I left it to my bride-to-be to make the final decision and she... Read More quickly fell in love with Joe’s photography. Every time Joe posted a new set of images on his blog, she would tell me about them and how much she liked them. She was thrilled when it was our turn and immediate shared the link to Joe’s blog with everyone! Joe’s photos speak for themselves but they cannot convey his personality and the way he conducts himself. He is very personable, unobtrusive, and was receptive to what we wanted for our photography. It was important to us to be able to enjoy our day and as requested Joe moved quickly through our formals and we were back enjoy our wedding day in its entirety. I had high expectations and Joe’s photos exceeded them as he captured all the emotion of the day just as it happened. I have now known Joe as a client and colleague and my wife and I both consider him a friend. Choose Joe as your photographer and will be forever thankful that you did!

What a wonderfully talented photographer!

Reviewed on 10/21/2012 Jacquelyn L

They say that your wedding day is perhaps the one day in your life when it is all about you. Joe Payne really made us feel like our day was indeed all about us. After our initial meeting with Joe, we did an engagement photo shoot. We walked around the Duke Gardens (where our... Read More reception was held) and Joe had us just talk to each other and relax. Neither of us is particularly fond of posed photos and while you may have to move a little more into the light from time to time, Joe works very hard to make everything as natural and relaxing as possible. We loved our engagement photos (we even put them in our sign in book to make a special photo album) and were confident our wedding photos would be the same. Joe did not disappoint. Our initial concern with the photographer was that he might distract us from the significance of the day; Joe was very receptive to this concern. The wedding photos were beautiful and not only captured the people, but he captures the entire scene, which adds tremendously to the impact of the photo and ultimately has allowed us to more vividly re-experience the day. Joe's candid shots of wedding guests were also fantastic and complete the whole set of photos so that taken together we had a wonderful sense of the day. We are so glad that we found Joe and are excited to recommend him to anyone looking for a photographer.

Reviewed on 9/10/2012 Thelsa P

I can say it all in one word: Fantastic!!! The one aspect of my wedding I was real keen on was the photography. Since most of my family lived abroad and could not make it for the wedding, this part was crucial. I happened to see some of Joe's pictures online and loved them.... Read More Meeting him and having him photograph our wedding was the best thing ever.... I personally hate photographs and think that I look quite terrible in most of them (I know there are quite a few girls out there in my shoes), but Joe is simply a magician. Not only did everyone look picture perfect but the camera angles and the timing of those photos were incredible. My husband agrees and he used to be a docu-film maker. I still don't know how one person could have been in so many places at once. Best decision I ever made.....totally worth it!

Joe is the best!

Reviewed on 9/06/2012 Danielle P

We knew we wanted to hire Joe the minute we met him! He has a great personality and is fun to be around. We wanted someone who could really tell the story of our wedding in pictures since we were not hiring a videographer and he did just that! Every picture he took was not only... Read More beautiful, but captured the joy of the day. As a side note, personally I am a terrible subject for pictures because everytime I'm in front of the camera I feel awkward, so I was amazed seeing pictures of myself that made me look natural. He did a great job of making everyone feel comfortable and he honored my Mom's only request that he not stand at the very front of the ceremony snapping pictures left and right which is a problem we had at my sister's wedding. Her photographers took good pictures but had no concern interrupting the ceremony. All in all Joe was very professional and we could not be happier with our pictures.

Pictures worth a million words !

Reviewed on 8/27/2012 Shannon M

We found Joe on the internet through the Knot website and were excited that his photos really told the story of the subjects he covered. As soon as we spoke with him we knew the match was perfect. My family had a mix of family members who spoke English and Spanish and Joe knew... Read More both very well and was able to communicate with my family and make everyone comfortable. The pictures were amazing and it was incredible he did the whole event by himself. Each picture does tell its own story of the event and brings us so many good memories. He really captured the beauty of our location at Lake Lure NC (and my bride as well !!). He was on time, professional (yet fun and friendly), and really worked with us to get the best shots and processing options after the event for a great value. Too bad I won't need and don't plan on getting married again, but if we ever do a re-vow, we'll give Joe a call to make sure we have the best photos possible.

Absolutely Perfect!

Reviewed on 8/07/2012 Sarah M

Working with Joe was a fantastic experience. My husband and I met him at a friend's wedding and were sold after seeing him in action. He managed to capture the spirit of our wedding in still shots - every time we look at the photos we're brought back to that incredibly joyous... Read More and special day. He was open to our ideas, but I think it works best when you let him do his thing - our pictures are proof. He is the consummate professional and incredibly gifted - we would hire him again in a heartbeat.

2012-08-07T10:13:40 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the feedback, Sarah. I really enjoyed sharing in your day with you! Best of luck to you and Jonathan in your new life together!

An all around great experience

Reviewed on 2/01/2012 Samantha B

My husband and I chose Joe to shoot our wedding as soon as we saw his work; his unique documentary style was exactly what we were looking for. It didn't take long for us to realize what a great decision we had made. Joe was just as professional as he was personable; we can... Read More certainly say that we gained a friend in the process of working with him. Not to mention that the price for the quality of his photography was unmatched. Our wedding has come and gone but we couldn't be happier with our photos, as they truly illustrate the day in the natural, beautiful way that we remember it. We appreciate Joe as an artist and believe that we couldn’t have picked a better photographer to tell the story of our wedding.

Couldn't be happier!

Reviewed on 12/17/2011 Monica B

Having a good photographer for our wedding was one of my top priorities but we had a very limited budget. Finding Joe was like striking gold! I found him online just by chance and my husband and I couldn't be happier with our whole experience with Joe. He went above and beyond... Read More what we ever expected and was so much fun to work with. Our pictures turned out amazing! Both the engagement pictures and the wedding pictures couldn't have been any better. I've seen a lot of engagement and wedding pictures that look so cheesy and posed and I knew that is not what we wanted at all. Joe's pictures turned out so natural and he was able to capture special little moments that never could be just posed for. He also had this ability to just fad into the background. We hardly even knew he was there; he was able to keep our special moments between the two of us special and unobtrusive. But probably our favorite thing about Joe was that by the end of this he was our friend. We felt like he was a guest at our wedding, not a vendor. We really could not have asked for more or be any happier with the whole experience. Thank you Joe!!

Excellent Choice

Reviewed on 11/11/2011 Allison T

Joe did an excellent job photographing our rehearsal dinner and wedding. He was professional, talented and creative. He took the photos we wanted while everything to proceed as planned. Joe delivered excellent quality photos that were composed and lit superbly. I would not... Read More hesitate to choose him again or refer him to any friends looking for a photographer. He was also very easy to deal with and was flexible to make sure we had the package we needed.