John Harper Outer Banks Disc Jockey Services

Reception, Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music

PO Box 1313, Nags Head, NC (252) 305-1555

Reviewed on 9/22/2015 Anonymous

John Harper was a very nice guy and seemed to have good ideas when we met with him and we had very high hopes from him as he was recommended to us by several other vendors as he dj'd for several other vendors weddings in the outer banks. At first he seemed great but slowly... Read More seemed to drift. At our aquarium wedding we were discussing where he would be located and he seemed outraged and in shock and awe that we would place him in the room we planned to do all the dancing (which was a slightly smaller room then where we had all of our guests sitting down to eat but was still connected) he wanted to place all of our "older guests" into the connecting room so he could be placed under the spotlight ( we planned out cake under the spotlight) and have dancing in the bigger room where people were eating dinner. Needless to say we kept all of our guests sitting down to dinner in the one bigger room and dancing was dedicated to the adjoining room. He did not play any "in between activities music" like gathering music and made no announcements for dinner/ cake cutting/ other activities ( we had Italian ice that came in)/ last song and I had one special song where I told him I wanted to make the announcement for a special song to dance to with my family and he announced it only once he had everyone participating within 5 ft of him. I told him and sent him the list of about 20 songs we wanted played no matter what and he had free liberties to play anything else to get people dancing. He didn't even play half of those songs!!!!! We had a father daughter dance that started of nice and slow the we broke out into our own choreographed faster song and discussed when exactly to stop the first song and how to lead into the second song. He cut off our first song by a whole line and jumped into the second. Not only were the guests surprised but we were very surprised too!! During the wedding he was set up at a folding table and had a plate of food he kept on the floor next to him and would hover over his food and He looked like a caveman as he bizarrely shoveled food in his mouth. He looked disheveled with maniac Einstein hair. He looked confused half of the time. While he made a great first impression he went completely downhill for the night of the wedding. I don't know if he was just having a bad day or other life events going on but when you show up to a job you should be 100%. I had much higher hopes based on previous reviews but personally I was highly disappointed on my big day.

The BEST DJ!

Reviewed on 11/07/2014 Christianna D

As a bride trying to plan a destination wedding in the Outer Banks, John Harper was a saint, offering to help in any way. Initially, I did a lot of online research trying to find the best of the best for a DJ and photographer, John Harper's reviews moved him to the top of the... Read More list of desired DJ's. In emailing both the photographer and DJ, they individually offered to give additional recommendations to make the best choice possible being a bride planning from afar. Both recommended each other and offered to help in any way possible, from looking at event homes, giving their professional opinion, and going out of their way to assure my questions were answers and I felt confident in booking the vendors. John was always quick to respond to emails, and phone calls. He helped the reception run smoothly and played a GREAT combination of music to get ALL generations dancing and having a great time! I would recommend John over and over as the BEST DJ in the Outer Banks, you will not be disappointed!

Perfect DJ

Reviewed on 10/13/2014

John Harper will not disappoint! He knows exactly what he is doing! The variety of music he played was perfect for the crowd at our reception. He was very easy to work with and always professional. John is friendly and accommodating to what you are looking for. I would recommend... Read More him to anyone getting married in the OBX!

Awesome DJ

Reviewed on 9/21/2014 Meghan

My mom and I met John when we visited a venue on a whim very shortly after my engagement. Though we weren't quite ready to start considering vendors, our brief meeting with him (as he prepared for a wedding) put him on the short list for wedding DJs. When we were ready to choose... Read More a DJ, he was our first choice, and he didn't disappoint. He provided us with a great list of things he'd need for the wedding, was available to talk on the phone and really helped me plan my reception timeline. On the day of the wedding the timing didn't go exactly as planned, but John was super flexible and very helpful in ensuring that we were able to get everything done. Beyond that, people were on the dance floor all night with a great mix of music that our guests of all ages enjoyed. We've received many compliments on the great music and how much fun everyone had. We also got a lot of fun dancing pictures. Overall, John was exactly what we had in mind, helped the event run seamlessly, and made me feel calm and at ease!

Perfect DJ!!!!

Reviewed on 7/09/2014 Britney W

John Harper is the perfect DJ for any event! He was our DJ for our wedding on 5/31/14 in the pier house of the Hilton Hotel. He was understated but so much fun. He knew exactly what my husband and I wanted. He listened to our requests but also knew based on them what else to... Read More play. John truly knows how to be the lifeline of the party without being the focus. We have received many positive comments about our reception and each and every one mentioned how much they loved the DJ. Give your party a pulse and hire John!

Excellent DJ

Reviewed on 5/29/2014 Malorie P

John Harper was the DJ at our wedding on 5/10/14. He was absolutely perfect. Our guests raved about how great the music was and literally did not stop dancing until he stopped playing music at the end of the night. He played a variety of music for the guests at our wedding and... Read More everyone was happy. I would highly recommend him to anyone looking for a DJ.

Wonderful DJ

Reviewed on 5/19/2014 Sarah M

John Harper was AMAZING during the whole process of planning our wedding!! He was extremely easy to talk with and not only helped us out with song choices but also gave us recommedations for other vendors he worked with in the past. THe music was FANTASTIC and fit our... Read More personalities perfectly!!! Our guest were dancing throughout the night. John also played "Let It Go" for the little ones during dinner, which made their night :) We would defianetly recommed John to anyone who wants a outstanding DJ, who arrives early, easy to talke with, always returns your call, gives advice to help planning and is just a great individual all together!! Thanks John for everything! Love, GeeJay and Sarah Clark

Loved our DJ!

Reviewed on 11/01/2013 Rikki

John Harper was our DJ for our reception. John is very easy to work with and we loved that he kept our dance floor exciting the whole night long. Dancing was at the top of my list so I am glad we found someone who listened to our needs. John and my husband had a great time... Read More bonding together. I felt the music for our reception was in great hands. I would definitely chose John again!

awesome guy, great music

Reviewed on 8/18/2013 Whitney J

John Harper was a pleasure to work with!! We had him dj both our wedding ceremony and reception (which were both held in Jennette's Pier). He was professional, but kept the party going. John really responded well to the crowd and kept everyone dancing all night long. With very... Read More little direction (besides just a list of some songs we were considering) John was able to put together an entire evening of absolutely perfect music. Could not have been happier.

That was a party!

Reviewed on 8/04/2013 Johanna S

John Harper helped us throw one heck of a party at our wedding reception. It was a destination wedding and our wedding coordinator referred him. After only meeting him once and speaking to him a couple times on the phone before the wedding, we got a really good feeling that we... Read More could completely trust him with the music selection. We only gave him a few "must plays" and a few "no plays" and he completely took care of the rest of the music. Our guests were dancing nonstop the entire night! I would highly recommend his DJ services to any bride or groom.

Dissapointing

Reviewed on 7/24/2013 Suzanne T

From the beginning, I didn't get a good vibe. Doesn't use technology, hard to get in touch with, had to snail mail things to him. Wasn't flexible. But, he got the job done. Wasn't worth the money.

GREAT Reception DJ!

Reviewed on 6/21/2013 Sarah K

John Harper did a phenomenal job DJ-ing our 200+ person wedding. He kept the dance floor busy all night and by the end had it completely packed, which was probably the most important thing that we cared about at our reception. John is friendly, laid-back, and very easy to work... Read More with. With only 1 short meeting and 1-2 emails, he understood all of our needs/preferences and followed them to the letter on the wedding day. All of our guests who interacted with him had nothing but great things to say, and it was clear to everyone throughout the night that he was enjoying himself and his work. John also had to put up with several of our more boisterous guests making song and speech requests (something we had requested that he not allow for obvious reasons at an open bar wedding) and he did so politely and professionally. I highly, highly recommend John for wedding DJ services and I am so thankful that we had him at our wedding!

Great Music

Reviewed on 11/02/2012 Christine D

I love John Harper! He knew just what to play to keep the party going. I'm so glad we found him and would recommend him to anyone getting married in the Outer Banks. He's awesome!

Perfect DJ!

Reviewed on 10/25/2012 Charlotte L

John has the perfect voice for a DJ. He did an awesome job and kept my guests dancing all night long!

Knows Exactly What He is Doing

Reviewed on 10/08/2012 Erin B

We really wanted everyone to have a good time at our wedding, and it was great to not have to worry about that with John as our DJ. He has a ton of experience and knows just what to play. He can read the crowd and knows how to get people up and dancing. He was also incredibly... Read More easy to work with, easy to communicate with, and had some great suggestions about what he has seen work and not work. Great guy!

Good DJ

Reviewed on 8/10/2012 Macy S

We met with John prior to the wedding and he was very mellow and knowledgeable about the wedding scene and his job. At the reception, he ran things well. However, he had trouble getting our first dance song to play. I understand there are glitches in technology at times, but I... Read More think a top priority is the bride and groom's first dance. Otherwise, he played a great list of songs and kept the party going all night.

Fantastic DJ

Reviewed on 8/07/2012 Kim M

John Harper was an outstanding DJ. We booked him a year in advance since he books up fast. He was easy to communicate with. He got everyone at my Wedding to dance and played great music. I would recommend him to everyone!

Great DJ!

Reviewed on 7/18/2012 Jessica M

John played an awesome mix of music! My mother-in-law even asked if there was anyway that we could get her a CD of the music from the reception!!! The crowd was dancing the entire night and even demanded an encore song after closing and John obliged! He is great! He doesn't get... Read More on the mike at all...he was a great decision! No regrets! Gets our highest ratings and reviews! Would book him again (maybe for a future anniversary party :) )

Wedding DJ

Reviewed on 6/21/2012 Jodi V

John was great. Very laid back and easy to work with. The dance floor was packed all night!

AWESOME!!!

Reviewed on 8/23/2011 Leigh Ann B

I absolutely loved John. He was awesome!! I only gave him the songs for the first dance, father/daughter and mother/son dance and left everything else up to him. My wedding consisted mostly have family members with a few friends and he played a great mix of music. Everyone loved... Read More it and had a blast. So did I!! Thanks, John.

John Harper - Awesome DJ

Reviewed on 11/21/2010 Sherry Q

We were very pleased with John's services. He worked with me when issues came up. Hands down - he is the best! If you hire him for an event, you won't go wrong!!! We provided him with a few artists and overall idea of the music we liked and he did a great job based on the... Read More general information I provided. He was lively, passionate, and engerized the guests.

great dj who knows how to read a crowd

Reviewed on 6/28/2010 Aubrey M

john rocked the house. he comes off as a little gruff in email and on the phone, and i had actually been worried about booking him, but he did our ceremony music as well as reception music and he was wonderful. we loved every single song he picked out, he got everyone moving on... Read More the dance floor, and he even coincidentally picked the perfect last song of the night. the night we got engaged, we drove down to the outer banks and 'to make you feel my love' by garth came on and my then-fiance sang it to me. well, that's the song john harper picked as the last song, so we danced, he sang to me, and i cried. perfect :)

Review for John Harper - Mobile Disc Jockey Services

Reviewed on 6/10/2009 Brittany M

I gave him very little to work with and he came up with the perfect playlist. He picked songs I would have chosen even though I wasn't very specific.