Fresh, Romantic, Stylish Wedding Photography

Hi! We are Karyn & Joe May. We are best friends and a husband and wife photography team based in Grand Rapids, MI. We specialize in wedding, senior graduation, children, and event photography and absolutely love what we do! Check out our website at www.karynmayphotography.com

Documentary

Photo, Second Shooter Available

Grand Rapids, MI
Midwest & More!

BEST Wedding Decision Aside from Saying "I Do"!

Reviewed on 11/10/2011 Megan B

I cannot say enough about our photographers! Karyn and Joe won our hearts over at our first meet-and-greet, wowed us with the engagement photos, and eased us through the big day! They go above and beyond and really work to make you feel comfortable, excited, relaxed, and... Read More confident. They're married themselves so it's great to swap stories and see the two interact. I'm sure it helps them to work together so flawlessly! Their photographs are beautiful and they both have an eye for the "right" shots. The pictures are wonderfully framed and Karyn and Joe know their lighting! Additionally, they go out ahead of you and scope the area so they know exactly which locations they want to use for back settings. (As for price, my husband and I felt like we needed to start running like we stole something. They're really worth more.) I really can't say enough about how much we enjoyed spending time with them and working them! They'll photograph our kids some day!

The Absolute BEST

Reviewed on 8/20/2012 Julie B

Karyn and Joe are amazing to work with! They are laid back, relaxed, and so much fun! Not only did our families love them, WE are SO happy we had them photograph our big day! The work is stunning! They are the best at what they do and you can truly tell! Would recommend them to... Read More anyone!

HIGHLY RECCOMENDED!

Reviewed on 11/30/2011 Alicia H

Karyn and Joe were a pleasure to work with from the begining. They did my sister's wedding so I already knew how great they were. Karyn is on top of it. She promptly returns e-mails and does her best to accomodate her clients. Joe and Karyn came all the way to Chicago to take... Read More our engagement pictures. They took incredible pictures in Chicago as always. We spent an entire day with them and felt very comfotable. It feels like you are hanging out with a friend. Their enthusiasm they have for their work really sets them apart. Their pictures have style and are unique. On our wedding day they could not have been more helpful. They did everything they could to make us feel comfortable. They really go above and beyond to capture the special moments of the day. My husband and I love all the photos they took. There are so many incredible photos we don't know which ones to frame! We would strongly reccommend them. Their work is top notch and they are a joy to work with!

Best in Grand Rapids

Reviewed on 7/16/2015 Marissa H

When I first started looking for a photographer, I knew that who ever I chose had to be AMAZING. After all, for me, one of the most important vendors was the photographer (I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this). I came across Karyn's website from a simple online search, set... Read More up a meeting with her and her husband, Joe, and instantly fell in love! Her work was fabulous and they were just the nicest people ever! I booked a package with her that also included our engagement session. Karyn worked with us and made sure we were happy with everything. She scouted out locations and let me tell you, they were absolutely perfect!! Karyn and her team paid extra close attention to all of the important details at my wedding and I couldn't be more thrilled to have had such a wonderful experience. The photos turned out absolutely stunning and I wouldn't dream of recommending anyone. If your number one vendor priority is photography then you MUST have Karyn May Photography! Thank you again, Karyn and Joe! Much love!

Excellent Photographers!!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Alexis f

I was married on 8/2/14 and were thrilled with the service and quality we received from Karyn May Photography. Karyn and Joe are fantastic and easy to work with. They made our engagement photo sessions so much fun that we invited them out to dinner afterwards. They are truly... Read More down to earth and are willing to help make your day special. Their communication was top notch and the quality of product we received for the wedding and engagement photos were excellent. We would not recommend anyone else and would hire them again in the future!

Awesome Photos!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Lauren S

Karyn and Joe May were so amazing! We loved our photos and time with them! They are both so nice and made us completely comfortable. It was really fun and I would highly recommend them for your wedding.

Amazing Duo and the Nicest People You'll Ever Meet!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Kim W

Karyn and Joe will go above and beyond to fulfill your every wish for photos. Their dedication and expertise is unrivaled. We're so happy they were available to shoot my daughter's engagement session and we also booked them for the wedding. You won't find a more down-to-earth,... Read More genuine, caring couple and they just happen to be top-notch photographers too! We were impressed with how many times they've won Best of Weddings, but after meeting and working with them it's easy to see why! You absolutely can't go wrong with them!

Great Photographers!!

Reviewed on 10/27/2014 Brittany D

Karyn May Photography did an amazing job for us! From the first day we spoke to Karyn on the phone, she was so good at listening and then adding her ideas to complement what we wanted. Karyn and her husband, Joe, were so fun to work with for our engagement session we knew the... Read More wedding would be great! Karyn and Joe got all of the shots we wanted on our big day! They are so fun to work with! One of the best things to hear was from our families the next day when they told us how much they had loved meeting and working with Karyn and Joe all day. A fun, professional, and talented team!

BEST West Michigan Photogs!

Reviewed on 10/23/2014 Kristen F

We got married August 16th in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Our journey with Karyn and Joe began a year prior. We first met them for our engagement shoot Labor Day weekend and instantly felt a connection with them. Karyn and Joe work so well together and make you feel extremely... Read More comfortable. Their strategy of having Karyn as the first shooter with Joe shooting behind the scenes works amazing. You get portrait like photos as well as natural, in the moment photos. We were thrilled with our engagement shoot, (http://www.karynmay.com/kristen-chris-engagement-karyn-may-photography-spring-lake-engagement-photographers/) and our experience with Karyn and Joe only got better on our wedding day! Karyn shot us girls getting ready, while Joe was with the boys. We then had our full ceremony, family portraits, wedding party, reception all photographed. Not one moment was missed and there is not one photo we don't absolutely love! All of our friends who have been in weddings or recently got married also raved about Karyn and Joe and how AWESOME they were the entire day. We feel so lucky to have worked with them and had our most special day captured by two professional and passionate photographers!

Lucky Bride and Groom

Reviewed on 10/21/2014

Karyn and Joe May at Karyn May Photography were incredible. The minute I spoke with Karyn on the phone I knew I was going to love her. She makes you feel like you've known her your whole life. As anyone planning a wedding knows, it's a crazy time. Karyn and Joe made everything... Read More so much simpler. Karyn always was available to answer questions and put my mind at ease. When I got to meet them in person at our engagement photos it confirmed everything I already thought of them. When our pictures came back we were THRILLED to say the least. My husband (fiance at the time) was laughing at me because I had one of our engagement pictures in every room. On our wedding day, they were amazing as well. The got every shot I could have ever wanted and more. Everyone has come up to me and told me how beautiful my wedding photos are. I owe that to Karyn and Joe. They have my highest recommendation. I promise you would not regret them being a part of such an important day.

Bride

Reviewed on 10/21/2014

Karyn and Joe were a great team. They helped my husband and I feel at ease. By allowing us to enjoy our day, they captured very special moments. Great quality and unique shots!

The Best Around!

Reviewed on 10/18/2014 Amanda L

Karyn May and her husband (and partner-in-crime), Joe, are hands-down the best photographers in the West Michigan area and you would be a fool not to inquire with them for your special day! Not only were they extremely responsive, intuitive, creative, and professional, but they... Read More created a layer of warmth and a comfortable atmosphere both for my husband and I, and our entire bridal party on the day of our wedding. They have a magical way of capturing all of the important details of the day that you may have missed in the craziness of the day otherwise. Her photos are edited in a very natural manner, and have a very clean and clear composition. I can't wait to share all of the gorgeous pictures and memories with all of our family and friends. We will make sure that Karyn and Joe will be a part of all our future celebrations. Thank you a million times over!

Wedding Photography

Reviewed on 10/08/2014 Sarah N

We chose to use Karyn & Joe for our wedding this past September and as soon as we met them for our engagement picture session we knew it was the perfect match! Karyn and Joe were unbelievably helpful from day one. They listened to us and what we wanted in our wedding pictures... Read More and made sure that all the decisions we made were ones that would stay true to our taste and vision! We got so many compliments on our engagement pictures and had a hard time narrowing it down to just one for our save the date, so we were certain we were in good hands for our wedding day pics. The day of our wedding Karyn & Joe were above and beyond anything we could have asked for. We had planned for an outdoor ceremony and reception, but as the wedding approached we realized the weather wasn't looking like it was going to cooperate. Karyn worked with me to come up with a Plan B for photos if it did rain so that we would be able to get beautiful pictures and not get us or our bridal party soaking wet (our venue did not have many covered places)! The day of the wedding her and Joe patiently monitored the storm forecast for us and were in constant contact with our vendors at the venue to get their opinion on what the weather looked like there. They patiently listened to all my concerns and answered my questions to help me decide what the best game plan would be for me and my husband. Ultimately, their patience calm demeanor set the tone and everyone followed their lead. During our reception they were always one step ahead, any time I would ask to make sure they got a picture, they would either already have gotten it done or have a fabulous idea on some way to improve the picture. When we were blessed with a few moments of sunlight and a double rainbow right before dinner, Karyn & Joe didn't skip a beat, but went running with us outside onto the golf course to take advantage of the light! The few "sneakpeeks" I saw of these images with the sun, were truly breathtaking and made the rain completely worth it! Beyond being the most extremely gifted and talented photographers there are, Karyn & Joe are amazing people and you could not find better wedding photographers!!

ABOVE AND BEYOND!

Reviewed on 9/09/2014 Olivia B

My husband and I can not even place into words how incredible Joe and Karyn were. From our engagement sessions, my boudoir session and our wedding, they were absolutely on POINT. Lets start with communication, not only did I receive numerous emails from Karyn, but I never... Read More once had a question as to what was going on. They were so professional and knew exactly what they were doing A all the way to Z. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!! I was the type of bride that didn't want to deal with all the nitty gritty details, I wanted to show up and have an amazing time with my husband and because of this duo and the wonderful Modern Day Floral team we got to do just that. Karyn spent numerous hours with me on the phone giving me ideas for timeline, as well as, other little things that I don't feel any other photographer would have taken the time to do. The May's are some of the most "real" people I have ever met. I felt right away I could be myself in front of the camera. Even my husband (who isn't exactly that comfortable in front of the camera) was incredibly photogenic because he felt so as ease. I feel like it really helped my husband having Karyn AND Joe there. He could relate to Joe and they instantly hit it off. It was wonderful for the day of the actual wedding too, because Joe shot the guys all day and Karyn was with us doing "girly things". :) BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!! I have NEVER i mean NEVER felt more beautiful in my life than I do when I look at the photos they took. From our engagement photos to our wedding photos they really captured the true beauty of us individually and as a couple. If you are like me, I was pretty skeptical of doing a "boudoir shoot" for the sheer fact that I don't feel I have a "sexy bone" in my body. Karyn assured me that you don't have to be "sexy" to do these photos. I walked in feeling a little uneasy (my own issues not hers), but I knew my husband would cherish these photos forever. All I can say is "WOW!" The photos she took were SO tasteful, classic, classy, and caught every ounce of my personality. I am so happy I decided to do a shoot because I know I would have regretted it. I am rating Karyn May Photography a 5 Star, but I would times that by 1000 if I could. They have amazing communication, they take beautiful photos and they are some of the most genuine people I know. You would be silly to consider anyone else! XO Olivia and Adam Kipen

Always professional, gorgeous photography!

Reviewed on 10/24/2013 Jessica G

Karyn and Joe are by far the best wedding photographers! I first met Karyn and Joe in 2010 at my best friend's sister's wedding in Grand Haven. Since then, Karyn and Joe have been the photographers in 3 other friend's weddings and now mine! Karyn and Joe are SO nice and they... Read More capture the most beautiful photos. They were very quick to respond to any questions I had and were very professional from the start to the end. I highly recommend using Karyn and Joe if you want the best photos EVER!

Wedding Photography- Karyn May Photography

Reviewed on 10/06/2013

Let me start out by saying- HIRE KARYN MAY PHOTOGRAPHY! They will, without a doubt, give you everything you are looking for in capturing the best day of your life. Karyn & Joe are a pleasure to work with. They made my husband (who isn't the biggest fan of getting his picture... Read More taken) and I so comfortable. Our pictures turned out absolutely beautiful. Karyn & Joe know how to capture the special moments of the day without flaw, and, in turn, create a story that is uniquely YOU! They are such an excellent team. When you book with Karyn May Photography, you are getting two photographers that are supremely talented and love what they do. Go with Karyn & Joe- it will be the easiest and best decision you will make for your perfect day!

We Loved Working with Karyn and Joe!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013

We received a referral from a friend (who's pictures were absolutely gorgeous) and were super excited that Karyn was available on our wedding day. Because we live out of town we didn't get to do an engagement session, but we were able to meet Karyn and Joe for coffee before the... Read More wedding to go over the final details and get to know each other a bit. They really wanted to understand what was important to us, what we envisioned for our wedding day and photos and had great suggestions and advice for us from their vast experience. When the big day arrived everything went wonderfully. They had great locations picked out for us and kept the pictures moving along without missing any details. We couldn't have asked for better photographers to spend our entire day with, they were true professionals and wonderful people to be around. We highly recommend them to anyone looking for a photographer.

Simply the best

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Erin L

We first fell in love with Karyn's photographs after finding her online, we absolutely loved her blog and the moments she was able to capture through her pictures. More than just the quality of the photo's, it was really important to my husband and I that we found a photographer... Read More we really had a connection with. From the first time that we met with Karyn and Joe we knew we had made the right decision. They are two of the most genuine people we have ever met, and throughout the process of our engagement photos and wedding we really felt that they understood our vision. They also had great recommendations for other vendors, including the amazing Modern Day Floral that we ended up using for our florals and event planning. On the day of our wedding, Karyn and Joe were amazing, they had unique suggestions for photos, were always on time, and really made both of us, our wedding party and family and friends feel so comfortable throughout the day. They really have a sense of calmness and ease about them that truly made our wedding day unforgettable from beginning to end. Even with trying to coordinate a large wedding party and many family photographs, Karyn and Joe never seemed stressed or overwhelmed. We can't wait to see the photos from our wedding day, but have no doubts that they will be incredible. Karyn and Joe really have a way of bringing out the little details and special moments in their pictures that we love. We feel so blessed to have met both Karyn and Joe and hope that they can bring this feeling to so many other couples in the future, love you guys!

Awesome Photographers!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013

Karyn and Joe may are great photographers, and a great couple to work with. We are so happy that we decided to have them photograph our big day, as we had a wonderful time working with them and the photos turned out great. They are very fun, flexible, professional, and enjoyable... Read More to be around. We cannot recommend them enough. They are the perfect team to capture your big day.

Karyn and Joe are fantastic!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Lauren S

From our first contact with Karyn and Joe, we knew we were in good hands! Karyn was very easy to talk to when planning the wedding and had helpful suggestions throughout. They even came to Chicago for our engagement photos downtown, which turned out *amazing*!! During our... Read More wedding day, they helped to keep us (as well as our family) relaxed and organized. Karyn and Joe make a great team, friendly and fantastic to work with and the photographs are amazing, we can't recommend them enough!!!

Genuine smiles

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Susan M

Love Karyn and Joe. They are both incredibly professional, present, and engaged with their clients. We loved having them part of our day.

We Highly Recommend Karyn May!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Lauren F

Karyn and Joe were such an amazing couple to work with! They made my husband and I feel very comfortable during the engagement shots and at the wedding, and we had a lot of laughs with them. We were able to make suggestions on where and how we wanted to be photographed, and... Read More they gave us great suggestions as well. It is really nice working with a married couple, because you get two angles on the photography. We LOVE their work and love their personalities! They also offer many different packages for different price points, which we really liked.

Great to work with

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Meghan S

Karyn and Joe were a great team to work with. We really enjoyed having two photographers to capture all aspects of our day. You can't go wrong with choosing Karyn and Joe for your wedding.

Amazing, Personalized Photography

Reviewed on 9/15/2013 Alisha R

Karyn and Joe did an amazing job from start to finish with our wedding photography. They focus on providing amazing service to a smaller number of clients so they can perform the best service possible. They make sure your event is their number one focus. They focus on... Read More creating photographs that are unique to your personality and do an amazing job capturing the in-the-moment photographs that become so special to you. Not only do they take the time to get to know you, they also go ahead to your location to ensure great photography locations prior to your photo shoots. Every photograph they give you has passed their rigorous standards to ensure you are happy with their work. We are extremely pleased we chose to have Karyn and Joe be our photographers!

Couldn't have asked for better!

Reviewed on 8/30/2013 Lisa S

Karyn and Joe photographed our engagement session and wedding this year. They did an amazing job and were the easiest vendors we've ever worked with. My husband and I loved how comfortable they made us feel, especially since neither one of us are very photogenic. They were... Read More with us for every step of the way on the wedding day but were never obtrusive. They were real ninjas in the way they captured photos from afar and from various angles. We absolutely love our photos and highly recommend them!

TO Karyn May Photography