Karyn May Photography

Midwest & More!

Fresh, Romantic, Stylish Wedding Photography

Hi! We are Karyn & Joe May. We are best friends and a husband and wife photography team based in Grand Rapids, MI. We specialize in wedding, senior graduation, children, and event photography and absolutely love what we do! Check out our website at www.karynmayphotography.com

Photo, Second Shooter Available

Grand Rapids, MI
Midwest & More!

Reviewed on 10/05/2015 Elena C

If I was forced to sum it up, choosing Karyn & Joe was by far the BEST wedding gift my husband and I could have ever given ourselves; now and forever. In choosing a wedding photographer, I truly had no idea what to expect or look for. Karyn and Joe, a husband and wife dynamic... Read More team, just happened to be the first couple I reached out to and they set the bar so high. To be honest, I thought it was just about finding someone who could take a beautiful picture and edit it to make it even better – I was so wrong. I learned that photographers turn into family that day and Karyn & Joe were, and are, just that. From meeting them at our engagement session, all the way until the last minute of our reception, they were AMAZING. Not only do they work fantastic together, but they are just as impressive as individual photographers and as people. The dynamic duo made my husband and I feel beyond comfortable at every turn; we had Karyn & Joe with us for 12 hours on our wedding day and every second was absolute bliss. They kept up with the craziness of the day, and made our day even more PERFECT. They are passionate and motivated about what they do and it is so evident in their work and personalities. They were timely, outgoing, professional, patient, courteous, and fun to say the least. We never once felt like “customers or clients”, but truly felt like friends and family. A photograph is something that lasts forever, and has the ability to hold a memory that one can cherish for a lifetime – Karyn & Joe did just that for us. They ever so beautifully captured our special day and gave us the ability to relive it, for days and years to come. If you are reading this, please know you cannot go wrong in choosing, or at least looking into, Karyn & Joe May for your photography - your wedding day will fly by and one of the few things you can physically touch and look at after your wedding are your wedding pictures. A wedding should be one of the most, if not THE MOST, important days of your life – choosing Karyn & Joe May to capture our fairytale of a day was a decision that will pay off for the rest of our lives! There is no need to sugarcoat it - they are exquisite people and talented photographers... they are simply amazing. #TEAMMAY

The Absolute BEST

Reviewed on 8/20/2012 Julie B

Karyn and Joe are amazing to work with! They are laid back, relaxed, and so much fun! Not only did our families love them, WE are SO happy we had them photograph our big day! The work is stunning! They are the best at what they do and you can truly tell! Would recommend them to... Read More anyone!

Reviewed on 11/30/2011 Alicia H

Karyn and Joe were a pleasure to work with from the begining. They did my sister's wedding so I already knew how great they were. Karyn is on top of it. She promptly returns e-mails and does her best to accomodate her clients. Joe and Karyn came all the way to Chicago to take... Read More our engagement pictures. They took incredible pictures in Chicago as always. We spent an entire day with them and felt very comfotable. It feels like you are hanging out with a friend. Their enthusiasm they have for their work really sets them apart. Their pictures have style and are unique. On our wedding day they could not have been more helpful. They did everything they could to make us feel comfortable. They really go above and beyond to capture the special moments of the day. My husband and I love all the photos they took. There are so many incredible photos we don't know which ones to frame! We would strongly reccommend them. Their work is top notch and they are a joy to work with!

Exceeded Expectations!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Heather L

Karyn and Joe were an excellent team at our wedding this August in Grand Rapids. Karyn took the time to Skype with me before our wedding since I wasn't able to meet her in person before the event and for an hour we talked about what I was looking for, requested photos, styles,... Read More etc. It was phenomenal. The day of, Karyn and Joe took outstanding posed and candid photos of the night that I cannot stop showing off! They really go the extra mile- our photos arrived in the cutest box packaged with a bow and even a few extra prints! They are PHENOMENAL and I highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Jen M

We had an amazing experience working with Karyn and Joe! Starting back when I first e-mailed Karyn about being our photographer, she responded within a few hours (this very rarely happens with wedding vendors, they usually take forever to respond). We asked if they would be... Read More willing to travel from GR to Traverse City and they were more than happy to do so. We had a blast shooting our engagement photos and were blown away at how cool those pictures turned out. On our wedding day, Karyn and Joe really helped make the day run smoothly. They were there shooting photos all day long, starting with getting ready and ending with awesome shots from our dance party at the end of the night. Our favorite part was when we were shooting our photos of just the two of us in the vineyard. They helped us loosen up and really look natural in all of our pictures. We loved that our photos really show off our personalities as there are many of us laughing as well as many very romantic pictures. We just got our pictures back and I have to say, I've probably looked at all 2000 pictures at least 10 times now. We are obsessed and couldn't be happier with out they turned out!

Wedding Photographer

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Rachel U

Karyn and Joe were perfect for our wedding and engagement photos. They captured our day perfectly and we so easy to work with.

You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 Gina V

We found Karyn and Joe May through a distant friend's pictures on social media. We loved the casual style and how they captured the real moments of the day. Before even meeting them Karyn talked to me on the phone for over an hour. She was friendly, informative and had a... Read More genuine interest in me and my wedding plans. When meeting with them, my husband and I fell in love with they photography and their personalities. They had so many examples of their work to show us and we loved all of it. Their pricing was very good for what was provided and the quality of their photographs. They have a few different tier packages which allows brides to find one that is just right for them and their budget. The free engagement session was awesome. They spent the entire day with us and captured some of the best photos of us. They were so comfortable to be around that day and on the wedding day when there is a lot going on. My husband and I come from big and involved families and they got along with every single family member. Our moms loved them and we barely noticed they were taking pictures. They worked great with our venue coordinators and our Catholic Parish. HIGHLY HIGHLY recommend! Seriously...no one better out there!

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 LiAnh N

AMAZING PHOTOGRAPHERS!!! Karyn and Joe have got to be two of the sweetest people I have ever met! These two deserve more than 5 stars! Their passion and love for what they do is what makes them such great photographers. My husband broke his arm the night before our... Read More engagement photo session but we still decided to hop on the plane and fly back to Michigan for it! We were both extremely nervous as it was our first time ever having professional pictures taken together and now dealing with a broken arm. Let me just say...even with a huge cast on his arm the photos turned out so great that most people didn't even notice the cast until I mentioned it to them. We had such a fun and enjoyable time that we knew our wedding day would be just as great. Karyn and Joe were loved by our families and all of our guests on our big day. We were lucky to have been able to have photos taken at two different sites; which they had visited prior to the wedding day to make sure it was what I had wanted. Their fun personalities made picture taking so enjoyable not just for us but our entire wedding party as well. We have gotten so many compliments from our friends here in Texas on how great our wedding photos were....but the best part is THEY TRAVEL!! I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THEM! YOU WILL BE GLAD YOU DID!

Amazing experience with Karyn May!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Michelle D

We had the most fantastic experience with Karyn May Photography for our wedding. Karyn and Joe were a delight to work with - they put my husband and I right at ease. Prior to our engagement shoot, Karyn reached out and really took the time to chat with me, and get a sense of the... Read More style and aesthetic of our wedding. It was by no means a cookie-cutter experience and I really appreciated the personal touch. On our wedding day they were incredibly professional and focussed, but also so fun to be around. You can tell they genuinely love what they do and it shows in their work. They are truly a dynamic duo - cannot recommend them highly enough!

AMAZING photographers!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Stacia G

Karyn and Joe were absolutely amazing to work with. We had several events with many requests and they were so flexible and willing to do anything to make us happy. They are extremely patient and professional. I would HIGHLY recommend them!!

Say YES to Karyn May!

Reviewed on 10/11/2015 Jacilyn M

Every bride has her number one most important and valued detail for the biggest day of her life. For me, that was my photographer. I knew that the moments captured by our photographer would last a lifetime. I began my search and came across Karyn May's blog and immediately fell... Read More in love. There wasn't another photographer that matched her ability to take the perfect photo. Once my husband and I met Karyn and Joe, that was it! Done deal. They are not only professional, but they are so down to earth, caring, and beyond creative. Karyn and Joe arrived at our wedding venue ready to work, but made us feel so comfortable that we could be ourselves, be silly, tell them our mouth hurt from smiling, and that the sun was hurting our eyes! Their flexibility meant so much to us as the weather changed from bright and sunny to perfectly overcast. We could go on and on about why Karyn and Joe are the perfect choice. Check out their blog. Meet them. It's the best decision you will make for your special day. Say YES!

Best in Grand Rapids

Reviewed on 7/16/2015 Marissa H

When I first started looking for a photographer, I knew that who ever I chose had to be AMAZING. After all, for me, one of the most important vendors was the photographer (I'm sure I'm not alone in saying this). I came across Karyn's website from a simple online search, set... Read More up a meeting with her and her husband, Joe, and instantly fell in love! Her work was fabulous and they were just the nicest people ever! I booked a package with her that also included our engagement session. Karyn worked with us and made sure we were happy with everything. She scouted out locations and let me tell you, they were absolutely perfect!! Karyn and her team paid extra close attention to all of the important details at my wedding and I couldn't be more thrilled to have had such a wonderful experience. The photos turned out absolutely stunning and I wouldn't dream of recommending anyone. If your number one vendor priority is photography then you MUST have Karyn May Photography! Thank you again, Karyn and Joe! Much love!

Excellent Photographers!!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Alexis f

I was married on 8/2/14 and were thrilled with the service and quality we received from Karyn May Photography. Karyn and Joe are fantastic and easy to work with. They made our engagement photo sessions so much fun that we invited them out to dinner afterwards. They are truly... Read More down to earth and are willing to help make your day special. Their communication was top notch and the quality of product we received for the wedding and engagement photos were excellent. We would not recommend anyone else and would hire them again in the future!

Awesome Photos!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Lauren S

Karyn and Joe May were so amazing! We loved our photos and time with them! They are both so nice and made us completely comfortable. It was really fun and I would highly recommend them for your wedding.

Amazing Duo and the Nicest People You'll Ever Meet!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Kim W

Karyn and Joe will go above and beyond to fulfill your every wish for photos. Their dedication and expertise is unrivaled. We're so happy they were available to shoot my daughter's engagement session and we also booked them for the wedding. You won't find a more down-to-earth,... Read More genuine, caring couple and they just happen to be top-notch photographers too! We were impressed with how many times they've won Best of Weddings, but after meeting and working with them it's easy to see why! You absolutely can't go wrong with them!

Great Photographers!!

Reviewed on 10/27/2014 Brittany D

Karyn May Photography did an amazing job for us! From the first day we spoke to Karyn on the phone, she was so good at listening and then adding her ideas to complement what we wanted. Karyn and her husband, Joe, were so fun to work with for our engagement session we knew the... Read More wedding would be great! Karyn and Joe got all of the shots we wanted on our big day! They are so fun to work with! One of the best things to hear was from our families the next day when they told us how much they had loved meeting and working with Karyn and Joe all day. A fun, professional, and talented team!

BEST West Michigan Photogs!

Reviewed on 10/23/2014 Kristen F

We got married August 16th in Grand Rapids, Michigan. Our journey with Karyn and Joe began a year prior. We first met them for our engagement shoot Labor Day weekend and instantly felt a connection with them. Karyn and Joe work so well together and make you feel extremely... Read More comfortable. Their strategy of having Karyn as the first shooter with Joe shooting behind the scenes works amazing. You get portrait like photos as well as natural, in the moment photos. We were thrilled with our engagement shoot, (http://www.karynmay.com/kristen-chris-engagement-karyn-may-photography-spring-lake-engagement-photographers/) and our experience with Karyn and Joe only got better on our wedding day! Karyn shot us girls getting ready, while Joe was with the boys. We then had our full ceremony, family portraits, wedding party, reception all photographed. Not one moment was missed and there is not one photo we don't absolutely love! All of our friends who have been in weddings or recently got married also raved about Karyn and Joe and how AWESOME they were the entire day. We feel so lucky to have worked with them and had our most special day captured by two professional and passionate photographers!

Lucky Bride and Groom

Reviewed on 10/21/2014

Karyn and Joe May at Karyn May Photography were incredible. The minute I spoke with Karyn on the phone I knew I was going to love her. She makes you feel like you've known her your whole life. As anyone planning a wedding knows, it's a crazy time. Karyn and Joe made everything... Read More so much simpler. Karyn always was available to answer questions and put my mind at ease. When I got to meet them in person at our engagement photos it confirmed everything I already thought of them. When our pictures came back we were THRILLED to say the least. My husband (fiance at the time) was laughing at me because I had one of our engagement pictures in every room. On our wedding day, they were amazing as well. The got every shot I could have ever wanted and more. Everyone has come up to me and told me how beautiful my wedding photos are. I owe that to Karyn and Joe. They have my highest recommendation. I promise you would not regret them being a part of such an important day.

Reviewed on 10/21/2014

Karyn and Joe were a great team. They helped my husband and I feel at ease. By allowing us to enjoy our day, they captured very special moments. Great quality and unique shots!

The Best Around!

Reviewed on 10/18/2014 Amanda L

Karyn May and her husband (and partner-in-crime), Joe, are hands-down the best photographers in the West Michigan area and you would be a fool not to inquire with them for your special day! Not only were they extremely responsive, intuitive, creative, and professional, but they... Read More created a layer of warmth and a comfortable atmosphere both for my husband and I, and our entire bridal party on the day of our wedding. They have a magical way of capturing all of the important details of the day that you may have missed in the craziness of the day otherwise. Her photos are edited in a very natural manner, and have a very clean and clear composition. I can't wait to share all of the gorgeous pictures and memories with all of our family and friends. We will make sure that Karyn and Joe will be a part of all our future celebrations. Thank you a million times over!

Wedding Photography

Reviewed on 10/08/2014 Sarah N

We chose to use Karyn & Joe for our wedding this past September and as soon as we met them for our engagement picture session we knew it was the perfect match! Karyn and Joe were unbelievably helpful from day one. They listened to us and what we wanted in our wedding pictures... Read More and made sure that all the decisions we made were ones that would stay true to our taste and vision! We got so many compliments on our engagement pictures and had a hard time narrowing it down to just one for our save the date, so we were certain we were in good hands for our wedding day pics. The day of our wedding Karyn & Joe were above and beyond anything we could have asked for. We had planned for an outdoor ceremony and reception, but as the wedding approached we realized the weather wasn't looking like it was going to cooperate. Karyn worked with me to come up with a Plan B for photos if it did rain so that we would be able to get beautiful pictures and not get us or our bridal party soaking wet (our venue did not have many covered places)! The day of the wedding her and Joe patiently monitored the storm forecast for us and were in constant contact with our vendors at the venue to get their opinion on what the weather looked like there. They patiently listened to all my concerns and answered my questions to help me decide what the best game plan would be for me and my husband. Ultimately, their patience calm demeanor set the tone and everyone followed their lead. During our reception they were always one step ahead, any time I would ask to make sure they got a picture, they would either already have gotten it done or have a fabulous idea on some way to improve the picture. When we were blessed with a few moments of sunlight and a double rainbow right before dinner, Karyn & Joe didn't skip a beat, but went running with us outside onto the golf course to take advantage of the light! The few "sneakpeeks" I saw of these images with the sun, were truly breathtaking and made the rain completely worth it! Beyond being the most extremely gifted and talented photographers there are, Karyn & Joe are amazing people and you could not find better wedding photographers!!

Reviewed on 9/09/2014 Olivia B

My husband and I can not even place into words how incredible Joe and Karyn were. From our engagement sessions, my boudoir session and our wedding, they were absolutely on POINT. Lets start with communication, not only did I receive numerous emails from Karyn, but I never... Read More once had a question as to what was going on. They were so professional and knew exactly what they were doing A all the way to Z. THEY KNOW WHAT THEY ARE DOING!! I was the type of bride that didn't want to deal with all the nitty gritty details, I wanted to show up and have an amazing time with my husband and because of this duo and the wonderful Modern Day Floral team we got to do just that. Karyn spent numerous hours with me on the phone giving me ideas for timeline, as well as, other little things that I don't feel any other photographer would have taken the time to do. The May's are some of the most "real" people I have ever met. I felt right away I could be myself in front of the camera. Even my husband (who isn't exactly that comfortable in front of the camera) was incredibly photogenic because he felt so as ease. I feel like it really helped my husband having Karyn AND Joe there. He could relate to Joe and they instantly hit it off. It was wonderful for the day of the actual wedding too, because Joe shot the guys all day and Karyn was with us doing "girly things". :) BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS!!! I have NEVER i mean NEVER felt more beautiful in my life than I do when I look at the photos they took. From our engagement photos to our wedding photos they really captured the true beauty of us individually and as a couple. If you are like me, I was pretty skeptical of doing a "boudoir shoot" for the sheer fact that I don't feel I have a "sexy bone" in my body. Karyn assured me that you don't have to be "sexy" to do these photos. I walked in feeling a little uneasy (my own issues not hers), but I knew my husband would cherish these photos forever. All I can say is "WOW!" The photos she took were SO tasteful, classic, classy, and caught every ounce of my personality. I am so happy I decided to do a shoot because I know I would have regretted it. I am rating Karyn May Photography a 5 Star, but I would times that by 1000 if I could. They have amazing communication, they take beautiful photos and they are some of the most genuine people I know. You would be silly to consider anyone else! XO Olivia and Adam Kipen

Always professional, gorgeous photography!

Reviewed on 10/24/2013 Jessica G

Karyn and Joe are by far the best wedding photographers! I first met Karyn and Joe in 2010 at my best friend's sister's wedding in Grand Haven. Since then, Karyn and Joe have been the photographers in 3 other friend's weddings and now mine! Karyn and Joe are SO nice and they... Read More capture the most beautiful photos. They were very quick to respond to any questions I had and were very professional from the start to the end. I highly recommend using Karyn and Joe if you want the best photos EVER!

Wedding Photography- Karyn May Photography

Reviewed on 10/06/2013

Let me start out by saying- HIRE KARYN MAY PHOTOGRAPHY! They will, without a doubt, give you everything you are looking for in capturing the best day of your life. Karyn & Joe are a pleasure to work with. They made my husband (who isn't the biggest fan of getting his picture... Read More taken) and I so comfortable. Our pictures turned out absolutely beautiful. Karyn & Joe know how to capture the special moments of the day without flaw, and, in turn, create a story that is uniquely YOU! They are such an excellent team. When you book with Karyn May Photography, you are getting two photographers that are supremely talented and love what they do. Go with Karyn & Joe- it will be the easiest and best decision you will make for your perfect day!

We Loved Working with Karyn and Joe!

Reviewed on 10/06/2013

We received a referral from a friend (who's pictures were absolutely gorgeous) and were super excited that Karyn was available on our wedding day. Because we live out of town we didn't get to do an engagement session, but we were able to meet Karyn and Joe for coffee before the... Read More wedding to go over the final details and get to know each other a bit. They really wanted to understand what was important to us, what we envisioned for our wedding day and photos and had great suggestions and advice for us from their vast experience. When the big day arrived everything went wonderfully. They had great locations picked out for us and kept the pictures moving along without missing any details. We couldn't have asked for better photographers to spend our entire day with, they were true professionals and wonderful people to be around. We highly recommend them to anyone looking for a photographer.