La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club

La Jolla, CA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

If a bride and groom's dream wedding includes sun, sand and ocean views, La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club is the place to be. Located on 14 lush acres, just outside of San Diego, California, this wedding venue offers event spaces for everything from a bridal shower to wedding reception. The club offers 90 guest rooms, from standard to beachfront suites, to accommodate a wedding party and guests.

The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club offers five different areas to host wedding celebrations:

Walnut Lounge. This room offers ocean views and 1,300 square feet of space for a wedding reception. The room can comfortably seat up to 100 guests. The room has an old English charm and is finished off with a stately fireplace.

La Sala. With about 2,000 square feet of space, this event space can host about 150 seated guests. The room has the ability to be sectioned off into two separate areas.

Poolside Patio. For couples looking for an outdoor venue for their wedding reception, the Poolside Patio is located in the middle of the club and is beautifully lit up at night. This area can hold up to 200 guests.

Private Beach. This ocean side area can be used for both the ceremony and reception. The private beach area measures 10,000 square feet and can accommodate around 300 guests.

Duck Pond Area. This area offers accommodations for up to 250 guests. The landscape is beautiful, overlooking a pond and lush green trees. The pond area can be set up for an outdoor ceremony and a reception with tented coverage.

Hosting a wedding event at the La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club requires the bride or groom to-be to have a membership at the club or to be sponsored by a member of the club. The exception to this a hotel guest, who can host an event, but it is subject to approval and based upon the number of guests attending. A couple can inquire on a wedding venue space by completing the Request for Proposal form found on the club's website.

The La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club provides a catering staff to assist with the reception preparation. The newlywed's to-be can take comfort in the experience of the staff when choosing this venue. After all, the club has been hosting memorable wedding events for more than 80 years. Wedding packages are tailored to the precise needs of the bride and groom from the ceremony to the decorating to the cleanup.

When an engaged couple makes the decision to host their wedding event at La Jolla Beach and Tennis Club, they, as well as their guests, can also take advantage of the following extra perks:

• Catering for wedding events is directed by award-winning Executive Chef Bernard Guillas
  • A multitude of unique background sceneries for photographs
  • Daily tennis clinics and lessons
  • Private beach

San Diego's Landmark Beach Resort

The La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club offers a truly unique setting for your wedding celebration. Nestled along one of Southern California's only private beaches, this year-round resort destination features 90 guest rooms, award-winning dining and a variety of activities.

• Outdoor - Covered

Ballroom, Waterfront, Country Club, Hotel, Restaurant, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

2000 Spindrift Dr., La Jolla, CA (866) 392-8593

Beautiful Venue, hoops to jump through...

Reviewed on 10/30/2012 Lindsay G

The LJBTC is a private club, with a private beach on La Jolla Shores. This was GREAT for a beach wedding because they rope off a whole section of the beach for you, and you don't have to worry about city permits, etc. Also, you can have the reception right inside and your guests... Read More can all stay at the hotel, so everything is all in one spot! The cons: If you are not a member or don't know a member, you have to pay extra for every single one of your guests. Also, to even have the wedding there at all, you have to be/know a member, or book a certain number of hotel rooms! If you have above a certain number of guests you must pay for valet car service; they don't have a room for the bride to get ready in; and the reception must be over by 10 unless you get special permission. Also, I wasn't always very impressed with the staff- they give an air of being very classy with 5 star service (and you're paying for it), but then seem to hire young people without much experience, and at times we got conflicting information from all of them. Bottom line: if you MUST have a beach wedding and don't want to deal with park permits, etc. and money is not a huge concern for you (as there are a lot of random fees with the tennis club), and you're good at reading fine print to see how much it will really cost you, then check them out!

Don't waste your time

Reviewed on 10/20/2014 Andrea H

I stayed here at the resort before I decided to explore the possibility of having a wedding here. The rooms are REALLY outdated and the food is not good... The staff is very rude. The only positive from this place is the front desk staff... Finally if your thinking about... Read More planning a wedding here I highly recommend you don't waste your time as they will waste yours. The catering department scheduled a meeting with me to go over my event and then stood me up and sent their assistant whom told me everything that was the opposite of what her boss told me after the fact. Overall the catering director was very rude and obnoxious. The catering director told me that they were declining my party. Please note that my party was a party of 80 and the room I was requesting only seats 120. I asked the catering director if she could talk with the general manager and ask him what food and beverage minimum would he like to place on my party as I am willing to agree on a minimum that he is comfortable with that is separate from the guest count. I told her that let's say I only have 80 people but to treat my party as a "larger party" and to place a minimum that suits. The catering director NEVER called me back with this number and overall played a ridiculous childish game with me and wasted my time!!! Who does business like this? I shared with my parents how I was treated and they termed the overall experience as obnoxious which it was. My family recently bought out the Pebble Beach Golf Course for my sisters wedding and they are a much higher level than ljbtc and the experience was night and day. To be treated and talked too how I was by the ljbtc was totally disgusting. Also know that the catering assistant went as far to talk to email me regarding the optimal dates for my wedding and even the sales manager emailed me room choices and rates.... To be called by the catering director a week later after the fact and told we were denied due to the size of our party and they were waiting for someone larger to book. She also threw in some crude comments that were obnoxious!!!I am a local La Jollan and after talking with people in La Jolla regarding my frustration I was told that the club is not a good place to throw ANY event as the catering staff is unhelpful and rude and if you or your party are not vacated from the banquet rooms by 10pm they call security. They are VERY strict on this policy. Things happen for a reason and at least they showed their true colors before contracts were drawn up as I would not want to have my wedding here with their negative energy.

2014-10-23T18:35:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the feedback regarding your recent interactions with our staff. We have held many wonderful events at the La Jolla Beach & Tennis Club over the years and work diligently to provide outstanding service at all levels. I apologize that your experience did... Read Less Read More