The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Lakeside Occasions in Topeka, Indiana, is a wedding venue located on a dairy farm that's been in the owner's family for over 100 years. Couples who love farming, couples who want a relaxing wedding and city couples who want to escape the rat race on their special day find serenity and fresh rustic style at this well-kept and fun wedding event spot. Brides, grooms and guests from South Bend, Battle Creek, Toledo and Fort Wayne can easily access the property from I-69, I-90 and US-20. Lakeside Occasions has outdoor and indoor ceremony spaces and a large barn for your banquet.

Gazebo Site. You may host your ceremony at several spots in the meadow and grounds, but this spot is the most popular outdoor site. An elegant stained wooden gazebo with decorative trim and roof is poised at the edge of Emma Lake for a serene backdrop of water, fields and trees. You may drape the gazebo in fabric in your wedding colors or use floral decorations to make the site more formal. Up to 200 guests can be seated to watch you exchange your vows.

The Guernsey. Host your banquet in a restored dairy barn originally built in 1887 by the current owners' forebears. Much of the original woodwork can still be seen inside the structure, which is heated and air-conditioned. A balcony fashioned from the old hayloft overlooks the action in the main space below and a prep kitchen has been set up where the old milk house once operated. A deck on the rear of the barn has scenic views of Emma Lake and the renovated basement can be used for backup ceremony space if it rains or as a buffet station room. Indoor and outdoor staircases provide grand entrance and exit spots or host your ceremony on the sweeping front steps.

The Coop. You have to see this little gem of a venue to believe it. A 1950s-style diner in red, white and corrugated metal with a jukebox, pool table, booths and plenty of retro decor is an awesome wedding photo backdrop for a 1950s wedding. It makes a sweet little cocktail hour, rehearsal dinner or groom's lounge too.

Bridal Suite. Farm brides adore this converted feed silo with a chandelier and it offers great getting-ready photo opportunities. A groom's dressing area is also provided.

Lakeside Occasions can offer wedding planning and coordination services, but this is also a venue for couples who want to DIY and choose their own catering and event professionals. If you choose a caterer that is not on the list of preferred vendors, there is a fee.

Ceremonies and receptions are only held from April until November due to the weather extremes in the winter months. A horse-drawn carriage is possible for the bridal arrival or the couple's getaway ride.

Lakeside Occasions set up and break down up to 200 chairs and matching tables. More tables and chairs are available for rental as are other event rentals, such as decor, lighting and signage. String lighting already in the barn is included in the rental. The venue is happy to work with you to help you create the event you envision and you may have a tent on the property.

One perk that being in Northern Indiana bestows on Lakeside Occasions is the close proximity to Shipshewana, which is only 10 miles away. This is the third largest Amish settlement in the United States and a pleasant wedding party base. Over a million visitors tour this area every year, so there is comfortable lodging in the town. You can also take part in the following activities when staying in the area, many of which may inspire ideas for your photo shoots:

• Wedding quilts and crafts shopping
  • Amish homestead and cheese-making tours
  • Hostetler Hudson Auto Museum tour
  • 1906 German-made Shipshewana carousel ride
  • Golfing, canoeing and swimming in town
  • Buggy tours of the town and country

Northern Indiana's premiere barn wedding venue

Lakeside Occasions offers a breathtaking setting for your special day. Say ‘I Do‘ beneath the gazebo with panoramic views of the lake. Then dine and dance the night away at our historic barn, The Guernsey. A 50s-style diner is available for smaller gatherings. All of our spaces are climate controlled for the comfort of our guests. Just 7 minutes from Shipshewana, IN.

Backyard, Farm + Ranch, Barn, Waterfront, Loft

Service Staff

2595 S 625 W, Topeka, IN (260) 336-0038
PINTEREST

Fabulous

Reviewed on 12/09/2013 Betty V

Our wedding at Lakeside was everything we dreamed of. I love how unique it was and would encourage any couple in the area to check it out. Janet and Darrell went out of their way to make us comfortable and fill any request or need that we asked for...They were such a great... Read More support system for us and made our day feel and be like no other!!! The barn inside was beautifully decorated with lights and a chandelier....just breathtaking. If you are contemplating a wedding in the near future....Call them FIRST!!

Reviewed on 10/23/2016 Tara Solomon S

wonderful setting

Reviewed on 6/01/2015 Jade B

The venue was beautiful and everything was set up just the way we asked. However, the owners were watching my guests like a hawk. Post-Wedding I heard various stories about several of my guests being scolded by the owners due to smoking in a supposedly non-smoking area however... Read More there were no signs anywhere designating where guests could NOT smoke. I understand their want/need to keep the property clean as well as fire hazards, but from what I understand from my guests they were not pleasant to deal with. Like I said, the wedding day was beautiful, however I don't appreciate my guests being yelled at. I think the situations could have been handled differently and with far more grace.

2015-06-02T13:17:55 Response from the vendor

Thank you for taking the time to review our facility! We do hope you enjoyed your special day and are truly grateful that you chose Lakeside Occasions for your wedding! Lakeside Occasions is our home and we spend countless hours working to provide a beautiful... Read Less Read More

Meet The Manager

Kara Byers

My background is in TV news, however, after having a baby in 2014, my husband and I decided to move to his hometown and I joined the family wedding venue business. I am having a blast working with the wonderful couples who have chosen our barn venue for the most important day of their lives. I truly enjoy helping you design the wedding of your dreams!