Personal Touch and Stress-Free Wedding Planning

Let Laurie and our staff create all your wedding dreams from beginning to end. Whether it's just the two of you or your family and friends of 200, you will have memories for a lifetime. Your special day is as important to us as it is to you and your planning with Makena Weddings will be stress-free.

Wedding

A la Carte Wedding Planning, Day-Of Coordination, Full Service Wedding Planning, Planning

194 Kamakoi Loop, Kihei, Maui, HI (877) 879-7149

Our Maui Wedding

Reviewed on 3/23/2014 Melanie S

Laurie and her team planned my dream wedding! Everything was perfect. My now husband and I went to Maui a year ago to pick our wedding planner and venue. When we met Laurie she made me feel so comfortable and got my vision right away. We planned everything over the year with... Read More phone calls, emails, texts, and Pinterest. Laurie has great relationships with all the top vendors on Maui and everyone she chose did an incredible job! We got married at the Sugarman Estate with close to 100 of our family and friends from around the world and it was the best day of my life! The setup was even better than I envisioned...Laurie went above and beyond. From the wedding arch with a petal aisle to the clear tents with strings on lights and chandeliers...it was all executed with perfection. She even surprised my husband and I by getting us a six foot locally hand painted Seating Chart. It was so elegant and beautiful and I was so touched by her generosity. It was actually raining the day of our wedding up until I put my wedding dress on. Laurie had everything ready to set up as soon as the rain stopped and everything looked so perfect once I started walking down the aisle you would never have known it was pouring 20 minutes before. I am so thankful for the incredible wedding Laurie and her staff executed for us. IT WAS ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL AND PERFECT!! THANK YOU LAURIE!!!!

We had the best, most PERFECT wedding!!

Reviewed on 2/24/2014 Leslie N

Makena Weddings, is in our minds, the pinnacle of top wedding and event planners, they are truly the best, and it shows from their attention to detail and their genuine love for their brides and grooms and what they do. We love Laurie and Al, and haven't just had the pleasure... Read More of working with them, but have gained friends in the process, whom we will I am sure try and visit every time we go back to Maui in the future! Maybe that makes it not quite fair that I am reviewing, since, why wouldn't we give them the highest stars (though I would give them 10 stars if I could!), but I think that speaks to how great they and the team (especially Amie) at Makena Weddings conduct themselves, especially in such a stressful event such as a wedding, and all the personalities involved. Laurie was recommended to us by my fiance's family, who kept hearing about Laurie and Makena Weddings from family friends and people they met in Maui. Al was recommended to us by my fiance's uncle who used to live in Maui, and attended Hope Chapel in Kihei. The pastors there recommended Al only, they would not recommend anyone else, for a true Hawaiian-Christian-based minister. We did not want a generic officiant, we wanted someone who embued the spirit of Aloha and would bring our Christian faith into the start of our marriage, and the only one that we kept hearing about was Al. The fact that the recommended coordinator and pastor were married... made it destiny for us to not only want, but NEED to have them help us with our wedding! Al made everyone at the ceremony at ease. He made everybody laugh, cry, and have a genuinely good time at our ceremony, which I know can often have the cookie-cutter feel. I could feel everybody's love for us at the ceremony, and did not once worry that people were thinking about the cocktail hour or food/drinks after, Al kept their attention and focus on us the entire ceremony, and we thank him for that. We would recommend Al to everybody! Laurie was with me from the very beginning, planning, coordinating, organizing, contacting the vendors, and making sure all the details and big ideas came together. Through our conversations, she brought our ideas to light, and I trusted her enough to have free rein with some ideas of her own, which enhanced and added to what I imagined my wedding would be. I was completely comfortable and confident in her abilities, and I knew she always had our best interests at heart, no matter what anyone else suggested or requested. We had the perfect wedding, everything came together beautifully and I didn't have to wonder if a vendor would show up, or how everybody would work together, Laurie took care of everything behind the scenes and always had a happy smile when she came to check in on us to make sure we were happy and having the best day of our lives. My only complaint is that there wasn't enough time!! Makena Weddings made our wedding so much fun that nobody wanted to leave after 6 hours of ceremony/cocktail/reception/dancing, that's how good they were, we could have probably gone for another 4 hours and never have known what time it was!! BEST WEDDING EVER!!! Mahalo nui loa Laurie, Al, Amie, and the entire Makena Weddings ohana!! Me ke aloha, Mr. & Mrs. Danny and Leslie Ward

Laurie and Makena wedding team is amazing!!!!!

Reviewed on 10/30/2013 Yumi C

Laurie planned and delivered the fairy tale wedding that we had hoped for. In fact, she exceeded our expectations. My friends and family stated that the wedding was something that you only saw in a movie, and we were finally in one. We hired Laurie as our wedding planner for... Read More Sugarman's Estate in Maui, HI. At first we wanted to plan the wedding ourselves, but we quickly realized that we were not locals and it would be hard to connect with vendors from California. She drove us around West Maui and South Maui to pick a location. She was very insightful in terms of explaining the pros and cons of each location. Also, she gave us a quick estimate on the spot for each location. We chose our location and reserved Sugarman's one year in advance. Within that year, my husband and I began to brainstorm various ideas for the wedding. We sent these ideas to Laurie who gave us suggestions when we ran into stumps. I am a very detailed oriented person, and I wanted every aspect of the wedding to be perfect. I gave Laurie my grand dream, and she executed that plan to perfection. Imagine yourself looking at some amazing photographs online, and you think to yourself "I want this for my wedding." After you do that a few times, you think to yourself that this might not be possible because it's so amazing to plan something that beautiful. Well, it did happen. Laurie took those gorgeous photos and turned them into reality. She even added some extra finishing touches to make the dream even more memorable. We are so glad to have chosen her as our planner. One thing to note is that we live in a fast paced society where we want e-mails answered right away. We had contacted her a few times very early on. She didn't respond as fast we had liked, but remember that she has many weddings per week, so if you contact her 8 months in advance, don't expect instant responses. Just believe that your dreams will come true, and they certainly will. If you let her, Laurie will take the stress of planning off your shoulders. That's what she is there for: to make your experience amazing and at the same time unstressful. Laurie, from the bottom of hearts, Tony and I are grateful for everything you have done for us to make our wedding a fairy tale.

Reviewed on 5/20/2017 Sarah M

Laurie at Makena Weddings made our Kukahiko Wedding absolutely incredible. In fact, on their website is a short blog about our wedding and vendors and details to see for yourself! Laurie & Cindy make it happen. They ensured us that everything we wanted or needed, they would do... Read More their best to provide and figure out. They made the day of execution so comfortable as we knew they were handling every detail. Laurie is such a great person, great to talk with and share ideas and stories. Her passion is so evident and she is a joy to work with. With the Makena Weddings Team and all of the vendors that we had, we were able to have the wedding of our dreams. Thank you to Laurie and your wonderful team!

Reviewed on 4/28/2017 Bryan K

What great people to work with! My wife and I were married last week after coordinating our wedding with Makena Weddings from our home in Seattle. The whole process was easy, reasonably priced and most importantly to us, we were able to work with people who clearly care about... Read More what they do and those they help on this special day. Al, Laurie and Cindy were all amazing. You can't find a better person to marry you than Al - guaranteed! We instantly felt a connection with him. They also recommended a photographer that GREATLY exceeded our expectations (Michael Stuarts who works for Chris Evans). There was an additional charge for this higher end photographer but he was worth every penny. We didn't really have the money to add this additional cost, but I have zero regrets. What great photos. And what a great wedding. Do yourself a favor and reach out to the kind folks at Makena!

Reviewed on 1/20/2017 Dave B

We can’t say enough good things about Makena Weddings and what an incredible job that Laurie and Cindy did in making our wedding something that everyone is going to remember for a lifetime! No detail was left out and Makena Weddings was able to accommodate our budget without... Read More sacrificing the elements of our wedding that we wanted. It really made the experience as stress-free as possible with next-to-nothing to worry about! Reverend Al was wonderful and conducted the ceremony beautifully. Our venue (Olowalu Plantation House) was the perfect setting and the food provided by Café O’Lei in Kihei was beyond delicious! Many of our guests have commented on how our wedding was the best one that they have ever been to and we owe that to Laurie and her team. We would recommend Makena Weddings time and again to anyone looking to get married on Maui! Mahalo!

Reviewed on 12/17/2016 Julie W

Our wedding on the beach will always be a magical memory thanks to the Makena Weddings Team. All expectations were exceeded! The planning was easy. After the first call with Laurie, any concerns we had about a destination wedding were put to rest. The ceremony was perfect.... Read More Every detail was taken care of, and Rev. Al made it more personable than we thought possible. We look forward to working with this team again in the future for our vows renewal ceremony, and have already highly recommended them to friends considering a destination wedding. Thanks for making our perfect wedding a reality!

Reviewed on 12/12/2016 Robyn T

My husband and I are from Canada and, with the help of Laurie at Makena Weddings, we were able to plan our entire wedding from home without meeting our vendors ahead of time. I must admit that I'm 100% type A, which meant that I had a long excel spread sheet comparing 10... Read More different MAUI wedding planners AND that I had a very specific vision in mind. While many of the wedding planners that I emailed had great ideas and were able to accommodate our budget, none of them quite compared to Laurie. Laurie was kind enough to offer a phone interview to help with the decision process and after speaking to her, I instantly felt at ease. She very kindly explained that she can make any budget work for a Maui wedding and promised that she'd do her best to help my vision come to life. We had about a year of emails & phone calls back and forth- talk about patience! My questions were always answered, my ideas were always acknowledged, and any discrepancies in cost or budget were always reconciled quickly. Because she has been in the business for many years, Laurie has intimate connections with all of her vendors and so I felt comfortable trusting her suggestions. We got married at Olowalu resort and our wedding day was a magical dream! Everything turned out better than expected, and Laurie was there to keep everything running smoothly. From start to finish, Laurie handled the planning process in both a professional and genuinely-loving manner. It's obvious that she's passionate about what she does, because her heart seemed to be in it every step of the way. I would highly recommend her to future brides.

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Allison W

Several of my guests told me that our wedding was the best they've ever been to. This is certainly do to, in no short way, Laurie, Cindy, and Al. What an exceptional team! Laurie and Cindy coordinated with me for over a year and managed to give me my dream wedding in Maui. They... Read More were efficient, responsive, calming, and creative. They went above and beyond to deliver my vision and helped me deal with stressful issues (like our hotel being under construction) that did not add to their commission in the slightest. Laurie knows all the right people and the vendors they suggested were just perfect. Al was fantastic - warm, funny, and authentic. I could not have envisioned a better ceremony. Endless thanks to this outstanding team!

Reviewed on 7/26/2016 Debbie F

Absolutely Amazing! Everyone that went to our wedding has told us it was the most beautiful and amazing wedding that they have ever been to..and it was. From the beautiful venue, to Reverend Al who made the ceremony special, to the decorations, music and performers, all were... Read More exceptional. Being the bride and letting Laurie handle all the details once we made our selections made my wedding day easy. She calmed any nerves before they started. She and Cindy made the day perfect. Everyone she recommended did an outstanding job and made our day something to truly be thankful for!:) We feel blessed to have found them and worked with such wonderful people. They are truly the best and bring the best out in people. Words can't express how wonderful they are at bringing your vision to life. MAHALO

Reviewed on 4/04/2016 Justine D

Laurie is an amazing coordinator! She made the planning process for a destination wedding so easy and a breeze. She made sure everything went perfect and looked amazing on our wedding day. Reverend Al made us feel like we had known him for forever. He made our ceremony all that... Read More much more special. Anyone who is considering their wedding in Maui should definitely go with Makena Weddings, they are a great team and I couldn't thank them more for making our day a day to remember.

Reviewed on 3/09/2016 kathy k

Our wedding was the most special and and wonderful evening of our lives. Reverend Al and his lovely bride Laurie took us in and embraced us with much love and the aloha spirit. They walked us through every step to make sure it was just as we wanted it to be. We wanted simple... Read More and it was much more than we imagined. Laurie took all the photo's and captured every moment. It was a day we will always cherish and have the photo's to look back on and share with our loved ones. The best choice to begin your journey together is Makena Weddings. Al and Laurie know just what to say and how to help you put it all together . They will share the love and warmth and magic of the beautiful island of Maui Aloha and much love Kathy and James

Reviewed on 1/20/2016

Laurie Terry planned my daughter’s Maui wedding two months ago. She did a fabulous job and helped us all have a wonderful wedding and phenomenal experience. She knows Maui and the providers and which options we should explore with her. Right away she sent us a list of... Read More photographers and we chose Scott Drexler who did an incredible job. Laurie took my daughter’s rather vague description for flowers and had it executed to perfection. There are so many things involved in planning a wedding and we could always get a hold of Laurie and her excellent team to work out the details. Laurie also offered excellent suggests for pre- and post-wedding activities. Laurie has an expression she uses a lot “Don’t worry. It will be fabulous.” With Laurie on your side you won’t worry and the wedding will indeed be fabulous!

Reviewed on 9/02/2015

We cannot say enough about how Makena Weddings made our wedding day absolutely perfect. Without a doubt, choosing Makena Weddings for our destination wedding was the best decision made in our entire wedding planning process. Laurie and her team walked us through every step of... Read More the way and really took our every desire into consideration and made us feel completely comfortable and cared for. After choosing the venue (Kukahiko Estate) and the vendors, we took a more "hands off" approach with our planning and told Makena Weddings our main requests and general feel that we wanted to achieve. From there, Makena Weddings made the wedding magical for us. We knew that our wedding day was going to be special, but the amount of care that went into all of the small things that were planned out for us did not go overlooked or underappreciated. They really took the time to make every detail just right. But aside from all of the details of the wedding itself, the entire process was fun and all the stress of planning a wedding was non-existent. They made us feel completely comfortable and cared for and treated us like we were family. There is something to be said about wanting to stay in touch with our wedding coordinator even after it is all over. We can't tell you how much we enjoyed working with Makena Weddings. We wouldn't have had it any other way.

Reviewed on 7/30/2015 Christina L

My sister/maid of honour and I met Laurie by accident while waiting for another planner to show us around Kukahiko Estates - lucky for us, Laurie happened to be doing a site visit at the same time and she walked us through the property. She was lovely and helpful, and answered... Read More all my questions - it was meant to be! My now husband and I booked our wedding date with her a year in advance. The planning phase was great - she was very informative and honest, and gave us lots of options for various elements - everything from flowers and music to our marriage license and different activities and restaurants around the island. The couple days leading up to our wedding were not panicky or stressful at all - again, Laurie demonstrated her experience with wedding planning by going through all the last minute details with us and answering our final questions with confidence. I realized I didn't have a pretty hanger for my dress and she got one for me, plus she arranged a petal path for our ceremony the day before - I decided I wanted it at the last second. She also organized a mini rehearsal for our families beforehand, which isn't something she normally does but I had requested it and she made it happen. Our wedding day was incredibly humid, and Laurie was there to help get my dress on, making sure we started on time and having water/tissues/everything in between on hand for our families at the venue. I think she even managed to shoo away some passersby from the public access path around the estate! All in all, she was instrumental in making our wedding day very memorable and everything we wanted. And of course, we have nothing but wonderful things to say about Al! He performed an awesome ceremony and made it funny, heartwarming and romantic. He was great with our six-year-old nephew, who was our ring bearer - fist bumps and everything! Could not have asked for a better minister. If you are thinking about a destination wedding in Maui, definitely look up Laurie and Al at Makena Weddings. Love their work!

Reviewed on 6/01/2015 Raymond C

Laurie, Al, and Cindy made our wedding day as smooth as possible. We had a private ceremony with me and my wife and we were in constant contact with Laurie from the beginning. Whether it was paperwork that needed to be filed or options to choose from (photographer,... Read More hair/makeup, etc) they were always very prompt to respond. They were always very accommodating as we had planned our wedding during a very busy week in May but it could not have gone smoother. They always had time to answer our questions or concerns even though we had a very small wedding. As soon as we arrived on the island we got in contact with Cindy who also works on the team and she could not have been any nicer to work with. She told us exactly what we needed to do to prep for the wedding and called us to let us know how things were progressing. We ended up choosing Po'olenalena Beach in Kihei and had a sunset wedding on May 14, 2015. Since she was handling a lot of the details this allowed me and my wife to enjoy and relax in beautiful Maui as our wedding date approached. On the wedding day we finally got to meet Reverend Al, he performed a beautiful traditional ceremony including a lovely traditional hymn for us and always kept us loose and would always know to say to keep us laughing. This was truly a memorable day, and I am glad to have chosen the team at Makena Weddings to coordinate and plan our special day. They really go out of their way to make you feel comfortable and relaxed and it's really those special little touches that made our wedding day that much more memorable. Aloha!

Perfect

Reviewed on 3/26/2015 Deanna C

Reverend Al and his wife were the best. We contacted them looking to elope while in Maui, met with them in the afternoon and five hours later we were having a sweet ceremony that was perfect for us! They are very genuine people, and show they enjoy bringing people together. From... Read More a small ceremony or a large one, I would recommend them to everyone!!

Reverend Al and Laurie Terry are the best!

Reviewed on 1/18/2015 Jean F

We couldn’t have made a better choice than Makena Weddings. Reverend Al and Laurie Terry helped us throughout the entire process, from getting our marriage license to helping us select a wonderful secluded beach for our wedding ceremony. Reverend Al’s sincerity and humor... Read More created a causal and warm atmosphere. We love how he incorporated the Hawaiian traditions of the “Oli Aloha” greeting chant, and the lei exchange. We highly recommend Makena Weddings to handle your wedding too. Mahalo nui loa December 30, 2014 Doug & Jean Fulton

Amazing!

Reviewed on 1/18/2015 Shayna M

My husband and I wanted this for our wedding: sunset beach wedding with only us, Hawaiian minister, guitar player, photographer and videographer. After hearing about and bearing the cost of attending other weddings, we wanted to just show up with no stress and get married... Read More without having to please anyone or worry about anything. Laurie delivered! I couldn't have asked for a better day! I had been communicating with her from the mainland for months before we even arrived. She was always fast to respond to emails. When we got there, we met at her house/office to go over the final details. Next, we were sent down the street to get our marriage license. Laurie had everything arranged and we were able to get in and out in a matter of minutes. Other couples sent from other planners were there for at least an hour as they didn't have the correct information or documentation. We were already looking at beaches while other couples were still having a "DMV" experience. This is how Laurie operates. The day of the wedding went insanely well. Regina, my hair and makeup lady, met me in my room while my then fiancé played golf. She made me look both beautiful and natural. No nasty airbrushing or contouring. My normal seaweed on a rock hair looked full and incredible. We then drove down and attended our wedding. Everyone was there waiting for us and it was a beautiful afternoon. Her husband, Reverand Al, is a pro and even had a tissue for when I started welling up. Laurie even made us reservations for dinner at our favorite restaurant after. Our photos turned out incredible. If you want a stress free, reasonably priced wedding where you can just focus on your day, Makena Weddings is the way to go. The attention to detail and quality of vendors is amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better day.

Near Perfect Day - Couldn't ask for better memories!

Reviewed on 11/28/2014

I cannot thank Al and Laurie enough! We were married last week on November 10th, 2014, and even though we had some bumps along the road (none of them because of our coordinators) everything turned out beautifully. A co-worker worked with Makena Weddings, so I went in based on a... Read More recommendation. They handled the details, including my extra requests to bring my own minister and an all-white bouquet. I was so concerned about not having enough time with the photographer that Laurie made a call, got us extra time, and never raised the fees. When my pastor was 45 minutes late to arrive, Laurie did a great job keeping everyone calm and rolling with it to make sure we didn't miss the sunset for photos. Our guitar player was fabulous and our photographers (MeewMeww) and videographer (who will also get rave reviews) were outstanding, staying late to take pictures because we lost 45 minutes of time with the delay. Everyone went above and beyond. After reading others' horror stories of working with coordinators, I highly recommend Makena Weddings. They know their business and worked hard to make everything perfect. It was the most fun I've ever had! Thanks Al and Laurie!!!

Absolutely amazing.

Reviewed on 11/28/2014 Jeannette N

I'm not usually one to write reviews BUT Laurie and her staff definitely deserve the recognition for the AMAZING job done. My husband and I wed at Olowalu Plantation House. I was skeptical at first with even getting a planner as I'm very much a hands on person that organizes and... Read More makes almost anything from scratch. But with the wedding being in Maui and me being all the way in Canada, I knew I had to get a knowledgeable local to help me. Boy was she worth it! From beginning to end, Laurie was sincere, courteous, warm, friendly, understanding and compassionate. I feel like I've made a genuine friend! Every detail was so well organized and professional executed. From the cake cutting with the perfectly timed sunset behind us to making sure I was well hydrated and remembering to relax. The vendors that she recommended and worked with at my wedding were very much like her as well. Everyone "working" felt like they wanted to be there as opposed to just being there for a job. I couldn't believe how great our day turned out. Being very much a perfectionist in everyday life, I would even go as far as to say that the day went flawlessly. Makena Weddings was the best darn choice we made for our wedding! PS her husband Reverend Al was awesome. EVERYONE loved him.

The Best!

Reviewed on 11/25/2014 Nicole C

I can't say enough good things about Laurie and Al from Makena Weddings. When we decided to get married in Maui we were at a loss of where to start. Being from Alberta, Canada we knew nothing about potential venues, bar services etc. A friend recommended Laurie and Al and raved... Read More about them. From the first contact with Laurie I was totally confident we had made the right choice in wedding planners. She was on top of everything from the beginning and took all the stress out of planning a destination wedding. I gave Laurie a color pallet we wanted to use and let her do her magic. The table decor, outdoor decorations and bouquets were all chosen by Laurie and they were beautiful. We literally showed up on the wedding day, got married and had a fun, relaxing day/night with our friends and family. Reverend Al was amazing as well. We chose a traditional Hawaiian ceremony. Rev Al made us laugh and cry while still keeping the tone light. All of the staff that worked our wedding were so friendly and helpful.I would recommend Makena Weddings to anyone planning a special event in Maui. You will not find anyone better!! Thank you Laurie and Al for making our wedding day so special.

Best Wedding Planner!

Reviewed on 11/04/2014 Hanna E

Laurie and Al made our wedding totally perfect! We had email contact almost half a year before the wedding, and everything went on so easy. We live in Sweden, so it was a little hard for us to imagine how the wedding would look like before we got to Maui. But Laurie and Al made... Read More us calm and secure with evertyhing, they really know what they are doing. We met each other some days before the wedding at Laurie and Al's house, and went through the whole ceremony. It was just me and my husband on the wedding so it was very small, but Laurie really made us feel important and wanted to make our day perfect for just the two of us. She made us feel like we were the only couple they planned wedding for. Very proffessional. I wanted to have a bridal bouquet, but was not so sure how I wanted it to look, so I just told Laurie the colors that I wanted. We got married at Makena Surf Beach, and I really reccomend that beach!!! When we got there, Laurie and Al and the photographer, Chelsea Cheffer, was already there. And when I got to see my bouquet I knew that the wedding was going to be absolutley perfect! Laurie really knew me and my husband, for real. The wedding was the best, and the sunset was perfect! When it was over we said goodbye to Lauire and Al, and they told us that if there was something we needed help with at our vacation on Maui, we should call them and they would help us. It was so nice to know that we had someone there for us, even when the wedding was over. Thank you, Laurie and Al!

Stress Free Dream Wedding in Maui

Reviewed on 11/02/2014 Shelbie S

I cannot say enough about Laurie and Al and the perfect day they created for my husband and I. We wanted a simple wedding but as any bride there were a few details that I had my heart set on. The perfect beach and a beautiful bouquet. Laurie delivered with both, and she went... Read More above and beyond with the most beautiful plumeria bouquet, exactly like he pictures I sent her. I was worried a few months before the wedding about researching and picking our beach but Laurie reassured me we would go over that when we met the day before. It was hard to take a breath and trust....but when we met she gave us two beaches to go check out that were both so perfect that we had a hard time choosing between the two. Laurie also arranged hair and makeup to be done at my Villa as a late add on to my package and Jean was just wonderfu! Al has a very special gift and made our ceremony very intimate and personal, and even funny in some parts after just having met us the day before. From the moment we met them in person they both put us at ease. I have seen the pictures of all the different sizes and styles of wedding they do and would not hesitate to recommend them to friends, family or anyone looking for help with planning a wedding in Maui. They take the stress out of long distance planning and you will not be disappointed! Not to mention all the invaluable recommendations on local cuisine and hot spots!

wedding review

Reviewed on 10/28/2014

We were staying at the Fairmont Kea Lani and they wanted to do a wedding for a base of 6,000. Steve had found Makena weddings which was a reasonable price range for us and included our package included hair, make up, a photographer, and the actual ceremony. Al & Laurie were very... Read More accommodating and helpful. We didn't have to worry about anything. Simple & easy, thank you!