Massachusetts Justice of the Peace Stoddard Melhado

Serving Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire

Personalized Marriage Ceremonies

As a Massachusetts Justice of the Peace, I specialize in personalized marriage ceremonies tailored to your needs. Together we will create a meaningful, memorable wedding with dignity, style, and grace. Services: Secular, Interfaith, same gender ceremonies. Premarital counseling. Vows renewal.

Civil Union, Commitment Ceremony, Elopement, Non-Religious Ceremony, Same Sex Ceremony, Second Wedding , Vow Renewal Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Buddhist, Anglican/Episcopal, Christian, Interfaith, Spiritual

Premarital Counseling, Ceremony, Wedding

32 Oak Hill Rd, Littleton, MA Serving Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire (978) 857-9698

Reviewed on 7/30/2017 Renee H

Stoddard was a fantastic JP. From our first consultation with him, we immediately knew he would be a great choice. At the rehearsal the day before our wedding, he was knowledgeable, professional, and made us feel completely at ease. On our wedding day, we knew he was going to be... Read More good, but we were absolutely floored with how incredible he was. He told our story to our guests with the perfect combination of sincerity, compassion, and humor. He let us create the perfect ceremony that was unique to us, and offered us the ideal amount of guidance. He was extremely responsive throughout the whole process. We could not have asked for anyone better. Our guests have been coming up to us since the wedding and asking us where we found Stoddard because they felt as though it was the most impressive ceremony they've ever seen. If Stoddard is available on your wedding day, do not make a mistake and pass up the opportunity to work with him. Five plus stars.

5+ stars for Stoddard Melhado

Reviewed on 9/02/2015 Cordelia H

Stoddard is AMAZING! I wish it was possible to give him more than 5 stars :) Before meeting with Stoddard, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and unsure of what elements should be included in our ceremony. (I am from MA and the groom is from Germany, so we wanted a mix of... Read More traditions from both of our backgrounds, while keeping it personal for ourselves & fun for our guests.) From the first phone call with Stoddard, I immediately began to feel confident & at ease working with him to create our ceremony. He was very quick to respond to emails & flexible to schedule meeting times. We were planning our MA wedding from Europe, so this was a huge help to have a vendor who was so easy to communicate with. In a very simple, clear & thorough way, Stoddard explained all the standard elements involved in a ceremony - he then worked closely with us to make sure all the words & readings were personal & meaningful to us. He had very thoughtful recommendations to help make the ceremony enjoyable & engaging for all of our guests. He also had a great list of sample readings that were much more unique & interesting than any of the "ceremony reading lists" I found searching wedding blogs online. He had people laughing & crying - Guests of all ages came up to us after the ceremony telling us it was one of the best they had ever been to! Our wedding was in August 2015 at The Crane Estate in Ipswich, MA. We could not have been happier with our wedding ceremony & the entire process of creating it with Stoddard. We are so thankful to Stoddard for making our "big day" even more special! We highly recommend Stoddard to anyone starting to plan their wedding! :)

2015-09-02T12:27:09 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Cory. I had a wonderful time working with Markus and you and truly enjoyed being a part of your beautiful wedding.

Fabulous Find!!!

Reviewed on 11/15/2014 Kendra L

My husband and I were so lucky to find Stoddard and have him officiate our wedding! Before we found Stoddard we knew that we wanted to write our own vows and create our own ceremony but we had no idea where to start. Stoddard make the process so easy by providing us with all the... Read More help and resources we needed to make our wedding ceremony perfect and personalized for us! He even was super helpful when it came to writing our vows! Writing our vows was my husband's idea. I was open to it but nervous and unsure how to begin. Stoddard again provided direction and helped me customize exactly what I wanted to say. When our wedding day came, Stoddard arrived early and advised the bridal party on a few last minute details before he delivered a wonderful ceremony! He made our guest feel active in the ceremony and through story telling, readings, tears and laughter we had the perfect ceremony. After our ceremony, many of our guest commented on how much they enjoyed the ceremony and how they thought Stoddard did such a wonderful job! We would highly recommend Stoddard to any couple! He was an amazing find and really helped to make one of the bigger parts of wedding planning easy and enjoyable!

Reviewed on 10/20/2017 Sarena J

If there was one part of our wedding that went flawlessly, it was the officiant. Stoddard was confident, comforting and simply put… Wise. He made the process of choosing vows, selecting the proper verbiage, what to include, what not to include… All so very… Easy. He has a... Read More soft, caring, eloquent speech. We could not have asked for more. I would and will continue to recommend Stoddard for any and all officiant needs. He is truly the best.

Reviewed on 10/13/2017 Christine S

From our first meeting with Stoddard, we knew he was going to be a perfect fit for our wedding. He walked us through a typical ceremony, explained things to us, why he does things this way or that way and then got to know us as a couple. We immediately felt comfortable talking... Read More to him, asking questions and telling stories. We really wanted an outdoor ceremony, and when the day arrived with wind and rain, Stoddard was still open to an outdoor ceremony. Lucky for us it was only a light mist by ceremony time, we got our outdoor ceremony and I wouldn't change a thing. We have gotten so many compliments on the ceremony Stoddard created for us and can't thank him enough for his time and thoughtfulness in putting it together.

Reviewed on 10/06/2017 Adrienne E

It was such a pleasure working with Stoddard. He truly made our ceremony beautiful and so special. He provided us the material so we were able to put our personal touch in every vow, reading and blessing. What we loved most was his own twist of our story that he read and we... Read More heard for the first time the day of our wedding. Not only did he provide services on our special day, but he was there to guide us and council us the days leading up to the wedding. I would recommend him to anyone who is getting married in the future, he is the perfect touch to making your wedding day unique, memorable and all your own.

Reviewed on 10/06/2017 Allison E

Stoddard made sure our ceremony fit us both as a couple, he was caring and patient when it came to planning the ceremony. We are glad we went with him; he really made our day special.

Reviewed on 9/25/2017 Brittany W

Absolutely loved by all my family and friends and of course my husband and I!! Couldn't ask for any better.

Reviewed on 9/24/2017 Kelly N

Stoddard was all we hoped for in an officiant for our wedding day. When we met him in advance of the ceremony, he took the time to get to really know us, and he helped us to tailor our ceremony to be a reflection of our relationship. We were so pleased with his professionalism,... Read More kindness, counsel, and organization. We couldn't have found anyone more perfect for our special day.

Reviewed on 9/08/2017 Shayla B

Stoddard is an amazing Justice. I originally got his name from looking at reviews of JP's near me. We met with him at his home a few months before the wedding and he got a detailed history of our relationship and what we were looking for in the ceremony. My husband and I had... Read More both never attended a wedding before so we were not sure what to expect, but Stoddard guided us to many materials to help us choose what readings we wanted and how we would like our ceremony to proceed. For a few weeks before the wedding Stoddard corresponded with us via email to help us with our vows and to put together a preliminary draft of our ceremony. On our wedding day Stoddard was timely and handsomely dressed in his robes. He is a beautiful speaker and really made our ceremony everything we wanted it to be! I would highly highly recommend Stoddard to anyone looking for a JP!

Reviewed on 9/06/2017 Danielle M

My husband and I feel so fortunate to have found Stoddard; we could not have had a better person officiate our wedding. As soon as we met him, we knew that we wanted him to play a central role in our ceremony. He is kind, compassionate, and thoughtful, and these traits carried... Read More through in everything that he did. Stoddard was very thorough when explaining the process to us, and more importantly, he helped us develop a ceremony that was true to us, as a couple. He presented us with many different readings, blessings, vows to help us craft something that was both meaningful and unique. On the day of the wedding, he officiated an absolutely beautiful ceremony, one that had the perfect blend of his own personal advice, our story, readings, and blessings. I would highly recommend Stoddard to any of my family members and friends.

Reviewed on 9/05/2017 Daniel C

Stoddard has a wonderful character. He is easy to work with and so very creative. He wrote a beautiful speech about how my wife and I met. All of my guests were so touched by his words. He even added a bit of humor to brighten the ceremony. He makes every couple feel comfortable... Read More and he gives good advice and opinions. He's an excellent choice.

Reviewed on 8/31/2017 Lyndsey Y

We were very happy that we chose Stoddard to officiate our wedding. We appreciated all of his help selecting our passages and readings to craft our very own ceremony. He also shared some personal remarks about the story of our relationship which was so nice! He made sure that we... Read More stayed calm and each focused on our partner during the ceremony which made it feel much more intimate in front of the crowd (we were nervous in the spotlight!). We would highly recommend Stoddard to anyone, especially dog lovers!

Reviewed on 8/30/2017 Josephine M

Stoddard did a fantastic job officiating our wedding. He helped us put together a lovely ceremony that suited us very well. All our guests commented on how good the ceremony was. We are very happy and would recommend Stoddard for your wedding!

Reviewed on 8/30/2017 Stephanie P

I cannot even dream of a better Justice of the Peace! Stoddard has been such an amazing person to work with. He made sure to get to know us as much as possible, and then he created the perfect ceremony around who we are. I would recommend him to anyone! You can tell that he does... Read More this, not as a job, but because he truly enjoys doing this. He is wonderful!

Reviewed on 8/28/2017 Tess D

I cannot recommend Stoddard enough if you are looking for an officiant who will help you create a unique and personal ceremony. It was very important to my husband and me that we have a ceremony which actually reflected who we are as a couple, and Stoddard understood that from... Read More the get go. He was so easy to work with and made the process of creating our ceremony feel fun, relaxing, and meaningful. Stoddard really cares about helping couples create the ceremony that is perfect for them, and he has so much guidance and wisdom about how to make sure the ceremony is truly special. He did such an amazing job - we had family and friends coming up to us all night at the reception to rave about him! He was able to be funny, poignant, and soulful, all well perfectly capturing who we are as a couple. We will never forget how wonderful our ceremony was, and are so appreciative of the role that Stoddard played in our wedding!

Reviewed on 8/24/2017 Elaine R

If you are looking for a Justice of the Peace look no further and reach out to Stoddard. From our first meeting Stoddard made the whole ceremony process personal and painless. He talked us through our options and gave us plenty of opportunity to personalize our ceremony from his... Read More vast arsenal of vow options, ceremony readings, and even Celtic Hand-Fasting. Hands down one of the best parts was Stoddard's personal remarks about my husband and I. He told our family and friends the 'story of us" with clarity, humor, and love. Hearing our story repeated front of all our family and friends was one of my favorite parts of the day. I cannot put into words how special he made our ceremony, it was as if he was a long time family friend marrying the two of us. He did such an amazing job, my sister is using him for her wedding next year! I cannot recommend him highly enough!

Reviewed on 8/21/2017 Daliena S

We cannot thank Stoddard enough for the beautiful ceremony he created and for making the process as stress-free and straightforward as possible. Immediately after meeting with him, at his home in Littleton, my husband and I knew we wanted him to be a part of our day. He... Read More genuinely wanted to know our story and had overwhelming amounts of experience. We wanted a personalized ceremony, that felt like us, and that is exactly what we got. Stoddard let us mix and match from an extensive list of ceremony readings, ring exchanges, and special add-ons, which he curated through the years. This was perfect because we had no idea where to start and didn’t have to spend hours combing through internet searches. Stoddard cannot be summed us a resource for ceremony wording though, he was also a support system. While I was panicking at our rehearsal, Stoddard comforted me with thoughtful words I needed to hear and he immediately put me at ease. He truly cared from start to finish and that is hard to find. We cannot recommend him enough! If you are getting married and want a personalized ceremony and a JoP whose heart is just overflowing with care, look no further! Stoddard will make the entire process a breeze!

Reviewed on 8/12/2017 Calvin K

Stoddard officiated our wedding in June. He met with us before when we got engaged and spent over an hour learning about our relationship and story. The ceremony felt incredible personal and very much "us". He also knew how to set up the audio system very nicely for our venue.... Read More Very reasonable rates as well. So happy he helped us celebrate the big day.

Reviewed on 7/20/2017 Jesse D

Do yourself a favor and, before messaging any other Justice of the Peace, ask Stoddard if he's available. This is your wedding and you've got approximately a million things to concern yourself with so make the ceremony one less thing to worry about. We met with Stoddard at his... Read More home a few months before our ceremony where he outlined different ideas and divided the wedding ceremony into different segments, making it so simple to get an idea of how it would all flow together. We also told him a little about ourselves so he could personalize our ceremony to us. After some exchanges via email we had our ceremony customized to what we wanted and then Stoddard went to work creating our personalized script. At the rehearsal Stoddard ran the show; walking everyone in the wedding through the entire ceremony. The day of the wedding he came about an hour before to set himself up and make sure everyone knew what they were supposed to be doing. Unsurprisingly, everything went exactly according to plan. Dealing with professionals is a great feeling.

Reviewed on 6/29/2017 Andrea S

Stoddard was absolutely wonderful to work with! He tailors your ceremony to exactly what you want and is open to any ideas you have. We thoroughly enjoyed sitting down and talking with him before planning the ceremony to get to know each other. It was also very easy to plan our... Read More ceremony because he provided us with documents and guidelines as to how to plan it. The only reason we didn't give him 5 stars is because he mispronounced my husbands name during the ceremony a couple of times. His name is Kieran and it was pronounced as KierNan. Which wouldn't be a big deal normally but it happens to my husband all the time so he was upset it wasn't right on his wedding day. Otherwise, absolutely great from the start!

Reviewed on 6/29/2017 Jennifer R

We are so happy that we chose Stodd to be the JP for our wedding! Our ceremony was beautiful and he made it so easy for us to choose the vows! I highly recommend using Stodd for your wedding!

Reviewed on 6/13/2017 Mary R

We were very happy working with Stoddard all through the process of getting to know each other, forming the details of the ceremony and the actual day of the event. We greatly appreciated his flexibility and all the options he provided in terms of parts of the ceremony. He... Read More added impressions of his own that were candid and brought forth a smile and laugh from all! I highly recommend Stoddard, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed on 6/07/2017 Vicki E

My fiancé and I initially had a difficult time finding the right officiant for our non-denominational ceremony but as soon as we found Stoddard, any worries about the flow or structure of our ceremony were abated. Stoddard has a way with words. He took the time to meet with us... Read More in person to get to know us, which allowed him to add his own remarks that made our ceremony all the more personal. He recommended beautiful readings, giving us many choices, and provided options for the structure of the ceremony that were much appreciated (we had no clue what we were doing). I really appreciated his responsiveness and suggestions throughout. His delivery on our wedding day was perfect, including his own advice from his marriage of 30+ years, and as with many other couples that have Stoddard as their officiant, we received many compliments from guests about how touching our ceremony was. Thank you Stoddard!

Reviewed on 5/31/2017 Emily H

Wow! Stoddard was truly amazing. He does this because he has a passion for it and it shows. The ceremony he prepared for us was beautiful. He had everyone in tears but also made each person laugh. He noticed at our rehearsal that I was struggling with nerves. He pulled my... Read More husband and myself aside privately and told me he could sense it. He told me to please let it all go because it is important to be in the moment together. It will only be the 3 of us he told me. He is such an incredible man. I highly recommend him to everyone. My ceremony was not like everyone else's. It was special. I cannot thank him enough for that. Truly amazing.

2017-06-01T07:32:01 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the kind words, Emily. I had a great time at your wedding.

Stoddard H. Melhado

After a 38 year career in education, as a high school English teacher and most recently, as a School Counselor, I retired in June 2007. I became a Justice of the Peace after being asked to perform marriage ceremonies for the children of many of my friends. Officiating at their weddings truly allowed me to understand the magic that occurs on these special occasions, magic that I want to have happen for you. My goal for your wedding is the same for the more than 400 weddings that I have done -- that after I have left, your guests will come up to you and say, "That was absolutely beautiful."