Massachusetts Justice of the Peace Stoddard Melhado

Serving Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire

Personalized Marriage Ceremonies

As a Massachusetts Justice of the Peace, I specialize in personalized marriage ceremonies tailored to your needs. Together we will create a meaningful, memorable wedding with dignity, style, and grace. Services: Secular, Interfaith, same gender ceremonies. Premarital counseling. Vows renewal.

Civil Union, Commitment Ceremony, Elopement, Non-Religious Ceremony, Same Sex Ceremony, Second Wedding , Vow Renewal Ceremony

Religious Affiliations

Buddhist, Anglican/Episcopal, Christian, Interfaith, Spiritual

Premarital Counseling, Ceremony, Wedding

Cf805d40 a376 487a b64d 0a02ca20f736~rs 100
8e37b91d 2fde 4bb6 b113 3e53ec30901d~rs 100

32 Oak Hill Rd, Littleton, MA Serving Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire (978) 857-9698

Reviewed on 7/30/2017 Renee H

Stoddard was a fantastic JP. From our first consultation with him, we immediately knew he would be a great choice. At the rehearsal the day before our wedding, he was knowledgeable, professional, and made us feel completely at ease. On our wedding day, we knew he was going to be... Read More good, but we were absolutely floored with how incredible he was. He told our story to our guests with the perfect combination of sincerity, compassion, and humor. He let us create the perfect ceremony that was unique to us, and offered us the ideal amount of guidance. He was extremely responsive throughout the whole process. We could not have asked for anyone better. Our guests have been coming up to us since the wedding and asking us where we found Stoddard because they felt as though it was the most impressive ceremony they've ever seen. If Stoddard is available on your wedding day, do not make a mistake and pass up the opportunity to work with him. Five plus stars.

5+ stars for Stoddard Melhado

Reviewed on 9/02/2015 Cordelia H

Stoddard is AMAZING! I wish it was possible to give him more than 5 stars :) Before meeting with Stoddard, I was feeling a bit overwhelmed and unsure of what elements should be included in our ceremony. (I am from MA and the groom is from Germany, so we wanted a mix of... Read More traditions from both of our backgrounds, while keeping it personal for ourselves & fun for our guests.) From the first phone call with Stoddard, I immediately began to feel confident & at ease working with him to create our ceremony. He was very quick to respond to emails & flexible to schedule meeting times. We were planning our MA wedding from Europe, so this was a huge help to have a vendor who was so easy to communicate with. In a very simple, clear & thorough way, Stoddard explained all the standard elements involved in a ceremony - he then worked closely with us to make sure all the words & readings were personal & meaningful to us. He had very thoughtful recommendations to help make the ceremony enjoyable & engaging for all of our guests. He also had a great list of sample readings that were much more unique & interesting than any of the "ceremony reading lists" I found searching wedding blogs online. He had people laughing & crying - Guests of all ages came up to us after the ceremony telling us it was one of the best they had ever been to! Our wedding was in August 2015 at The Crane Estate in Ipswich, MA. We could not have been happier with our wedding ceremony & the entire process of creating it with Stoddard. We are so thankful to Stoddard for making our "big day" even more special! We highly recommend Stoddard to anyone starting to plan their wedding! :)

2015-09-02T12:27:09 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Cory. I had a wonderful time working with Markus and you and truly enjoyed being a part of your beautiful wedding.

Fabulous Find!!!

Reviewed on 11/15/2014 Kendra L

My husband and I were so lucky to find Stoddard and have him officiate our wedding! Before we found Stoddard we knew that we wanted to write our own vows and create our own ceremony but we had no idea where to start. Stoddard make the process so easy by providing us with all the... Read More help and resources we needed to make our wedding ceremony perfect and personalized for us! He even was super helpful when it came to writing our vows! Writing our vows was my husband's idea. I was open to it but nervous and unsure how to begin. Stoddard again provided direction and helped me customize exactly what I wanted to say. When our wedding day came, Stoddard arrived early and advised the bridal party on a few last minute details before he delivered a wonderful ceremony! He made our guest feel active in the ceremony and through story telling, readings, tears and laughter we had the perfect ceremony. After our ceremony, many of our guest commented on how much they enjoyed the ceremony and how they thought Stoddard did such a wonderful job! We would highly recommend Stoddard to any couple! He was an amazing find and really helped to make one of the bigger parts of wedding planning easy and enjoyable!

Reviewed on 3/13/2018 Rachel B

My husband and I thought long and hard about who we wanted to officiate our wedding but we wanted to make sure it was done professionally and smoothly, therefore we wanted somebody experienced. I looked for JP’s who had some of the highest reviews and most experience, and... Read More Stoddard Melhado was at the top of the list. What sealed the deal for hiring Stoddard, was when we visited his website we learned he was an avid dog lover (and rescuer) as well as a retired educator (specifically, school counselor like myself!). We went to meet Stoddard at his home back in October and were blown away with his attention to detail, specific options we were able to choose from, and of course, adorable grey hound dogs we got to meet after our meeting. Stoddard personalized our entire ceremony and made sure it was exactly what we wanted for our wedding day.

Reviewed on 3/07/2018 Eva R

Stoddard was simply outstanding and orchestrated a beautiful wedding ceremony. He was professional, reliable, prompt, and very flexible in ensuring the ceremony was exactly what we wanted. From our initial consultation he learned about our relationship and incorporated anecdotes... Read More into the ceremony which made for a unique and personalized ceremony. We would recommend Stoddard to any one of our friends.

Reviewed on 3/01/2018 Dawn H

Stoddard is so sweet and professional. We loved him. His ceremony was amazing, he wrote a beautiful service and had a beautiful story with it. We highly recommend him to everyone!!’

Reviewed on 2/11/2018 Jonathan C

My wife and I felt it most important that our ceremony felt personal and intimate. Family, close friends, and a private environment were sure to meet our expectations. Who we chose to officiate our wedding was just as important. From the minute we met Stoddard, we knew that he... Read More would accommodate our personal style. We could tell immediately that Stoddard was genuine and dedicated to his expertise. We were offered plenty of information and suggestions to guide us through the ceremonial process. Furthermore, Stoddard was communicative and personable thgouhout the weeks approaching the ceremony. His performance on the day of was exactly what we could have hoped for. We heard nothing but good comments from our guest regarding his delivery and presentation. We couldn't have been happier with our choice and would recommend Stoddard to any of our friends and family in the future!

Reviewed on 2/01/2018 Brianna S

Stoddard made our wedding ceremony more beautiful than I thought it could ever be. He invited us into his home and got to know us which he then shared during our ceremony. This was such a wonderful personal touch and a surprise to us! I emailed back and forth with Stoddard to... Read More get his opinion on things such as what to write on the programs and he was happy to help. Stoddard also helped me write a beautiful statement to my new stepdaughter. There was not a dry eye. I highly recommend working with Stoddard!

Reviewed on 1/12/2018 Rachel B

Stoddard was absolutely fantastic. He gave us the ceremony of our dreams even though we had no idea what we wanted at first. He was very helpful and took time to learn about us as a couple s our ceremony fit exactly our style. He was very professional, but comfortable which was... Read More exactly our style.

Reviewed on 1/11/2018 Becky C

Stoddard was amazing. I got married on NYE this year and people are still telling me how awesome he was and how the ceremony was so personalized. He goes above and beyond and I would recommend him to anyone!!

Reviewed on 12/29/2017 Gabriela M

Stoddard was a great Justice of the Peace and we would recommend him to anyone! He created a beautiful ceremony for us and let us have plenty of input. He connected with us and our guests naturally and had everyone laughing on a very cold November day. He helped ease our stress... Read More leading up to that day and the ceremony was absolutely seamless!

Reviewed on 12/07/2017 Amy R

It was such a pleasure working with Stoddard. He was very helpful throughout the planning process and made it so easy for us. He had all of the guests attention at the ceremony. We had multiple people come up to us after, saying how perfect it was. Lets be honest, they can get... Read More a little boring or dragged on. But we had people say that they listened to every word Stoddard had to say and how he made it so personal, that it seemed like he knew us for a while. He also eased my fears of being the center of attention and speaking in front of a crowd. He made me feel so comfortable standing there and it felt like it was just us three. Stoddard made our special day even more special. We highly recommend him.

Reviewed on 12/05/2017 Morgan H

Stoddard was an absolutely amazing Justice of the Peace, and I would recommend him to anyone looking for an officiant. He took so much time to get to know us, our stories, our taste and preferences- the resulting ceremony was incredibly personal and brought lots of tears and... Read More laughs. I really appreciated that Stoddard took the time to understand our motivations and preferences, and he was able to suggest various readings and blessings to us that fit our personalities perfectly. I am so glad Stoddard was part of our day- thank you Stoddard!

Reviewed on 11/22/2017 Susie K

Stoddard was one of the best decisions we made when it came to our wedding – from the first meeting where he welcomed us into his home to the day of, when he told our love story as though he were an insightful relative. (Literally, people kept asking us if he was an uncle!) We... Read More were so appreciative of his ceremony planning guidance and the plethora of resources he shared to help create a meaningful, one-of-a-kind experience for both ourselves and our guests. Don't think twice... if you're getting married in the central MA area, go for it! He will be one of the most memorable parts of your big day.

Reviewed on 11/20/2017 Katie B

Stoddard was an absolute joy to work with. He remembered small details we had told him a year and a half prior to our actual wedding day and incorporated them into our ceremony. He remembered things about us that I'm not even sure WE remembered! He was excellent in preparing us... Read More for how the ceremony would go and what would happen with paperwork after that. Meetings at his lovely home were always very efficient and inviting (he has greyhounds!!!).

Reviewed on 11/09/2017 Sarah G

Stoddard did an excellent job with the ceremony!! It went perfectly! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 11/09/2017 Sarah G

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Amy P

I'm so glad that we worked with Stoddard to officiate our wedding. We met initially at his home and talked about our wedding plans and ideas, our relationship, his experience and insight, and more. It was comfortable, informative, and left us with no doubt about who should... Read More officiate our wedding. Stoddard provided documents for every portion of the ceremony that were SUPER comprehensive and helpful, especially to someone like me who hasn't actually been to many wedding and didn't know all the separate parts of the ceremony. I was a little nervous about everything going smoothly (just regular wedding nerves!) but felt completely at ease after the rehearsal. Stoddard lets you know exactly what you need to do and what to expect. Overall he is kind, experienced, and committed to helping you have the perfect ceremony for your relationship. Everything went perfectly during our ceremony and we couldn't have asked for better!

Reviewed on 10/28/2017 Johnna I

We are so happy that we chose Stoddard to officiate our wedding, and we are truly lucky that we found him. Stoddard is incredibly easy to work with and was an amazing officiant for our wedding. Our ceremony was incredible, and we had so many guests comment on how fitting it... Read More was for us. We are an out of state couple who had our wedding in Massachusetts, and though we met with him in person for our initial meeting, he was happy to work with us through email if we had any questions or concerns. He did a fantastic job crafting “our story” for our wedding ceremony, and the ceremony was both funny and touching, and definitely captured the essence of us as a couple. Stoddard provided a huge amount of resources for us to customize our ceremony however we wished (readings, vows, blessing, etc.), which made it very easy as we wouldn’t have known where to start otherwise! He was there for our rehearsal and provided a lot of tips for pictures/etc. during the ceremony that we hadn’t thought of. Also, for those of you with a fear of public speaking, Stoddard made that part as easy as he could for us, and he certainly put us at ease when it came to that part of the ceremony. Do not hesitate to work with Stoddard for your wedding, we are so happy that we were able to work with him, and are so thankful for his help throughout the process. We were also able to meet his Greyhound dogs when we visited him at his home to go over our ceremony, so cute! We definitely recommend Stoddard to anyone who is planning their wedding, you will not be disappointed in your choice.

Reviewed on 10/23/2017 LynnMarie P

Stoddard was utterly fantastic! He led us every step of the way, including a couple visits to his lovely home, and made us comfortable about everything. We never felt iffy about a single detail. He had solid and wise ideas for the ceremony but was also open to trying new... Read More things. We'll forever be in debt for his service!

Reviewed on 10/22/2017 Michelle S

I can't express how amazing Stoddard is! Our ceremony was so perfect and more than I ever could have imagined. Stoddard was able to balance beautiful words mixed in with some humor and it flowed perfectly. He is so genuine and showed through his words. I highly recommend... Read More choosing this wonderful man to be a part of your special day.

Reviewed on 10/20/2017 Sarena J

If there was one part of our wedding that went flawlessly, it was the officiant. Stoddard was confident, comforting and simply put… Wise. He made the process of choosing vows, selecting the proper verbiage, what to include, what not to include… All so very… Easy. He has a... Read More soft, caring, eloquent speech. We could not have asked for more. I would and will continue to recommend Stoddard for any and all officiant needs. He is truly the best.

Reviewed on 10/13/2017 Christine S

From our first meeting with Stoddard, we knew he was going to be a perfect fit for our wedding. He walked us through a typical ceremony, explained things to us, why he does things this way or that way and then got to know us as a couple. We immediately felt comfortable talking... Read More to him, asking questions and telling stories. We really wanted an outdoor ceremony, and when the day arrived with wind and rain, Stoddard was still open to an outdoor ceremony. Lucky for us it was only a light mist by ceremony time, we got our outdoor ceremony and I wouldn't change a thing. We have gotten so many compliments on the ceremony Stoddard created for us and can't thank him enough for his time and thoughtfulness in putting it together.

Reviewed on 10/06/2017 Adrienne E

It was such a pleasure working with Stoddard. He truly made our ceremony beautiful and so special. He provided us the material so we were able to put our personal touch in every vow, reading and blessing. What we loved most was his own twist of our story that he read and we... Read More heard for the first time the day of our wedding. Not only did he provide services on our special day, but he was there to guide us and council us the days leading up to the wedding. I would recommend him to anyone who is getting married in the future, he is the perfect touch to making your wedding day unique, memorable and all your own.

Reviewed on 10/06/2017 Allison E

Stoddard made sure our ceremony fit us both as a couple, he was caring and patient when it came to planning the ceremony. We are glad we went with him; he really made our day special.

Stoddard H. Melhado

After a 38 year career in education, as a high school English teacher and most recently, as a School Counselor, I retired in June 2007. I became a Justice of the Peace after being asked to perform marriage ceremonies for the children of many of my friends. Officiating at their weddings truly allowed me to understand the magic that occurs on these special occasions, magic that I want to have happen for you. My goal for your wedding is the same for the more than 400 weddings that I have done -- that after I have left, your guests will come up to you and say, "That was absolutely beautiful."