Merion Tribute House

Merion Station, PA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Located in the suburbs on Philadelphia's Main Line in Merion, Pennsylvania, the Merion Tribute House has been hosting weddings since 1924. The house was built by Eldridge Johnson, founder of the Victor Talking Machine Company, as a tribute to the local men who had served in World War I. The Merion Tribute House was built as a community center and the architects at Katcher and Smith Company were instructed to build, "the most beautiful structure of its kind in this locality." The Gothic style building is made of locally sourced stone. The grand building is a stately setting for wedding ceremonies and receptions.

The House. Indoors, guests can make use of the Merion Tribute House's front rooms for cocktails. Some of the front rooms have stone walls and have a castle like feel. Other rooms have comfortable couches and chairs to relax in. The main hall feels particularly Gothic, with its triple height ceilings that end in a peaked ceiling. Brides can toss their bouquets from the Juliet balcony in the main hall. The balcony also makes a striking spot for portraits and an excellent vantage point to shoot a group photo of the wedding guests. Couples may have their ceremony or reception in the ballroom, which can seat up to 175 people. The carpeted ballroom has high arched ceilings, a dance floor and a stage. Smaller receptions may choose one of the front rooms for the reception.

The Grounds. Couples may also choose to have their ceremony outside on the grounds of the Merion Tribute House. The bride and groom may make use of the house's stone terrace, which may be tented if the couple chooses. Couples may also choose a site anywhere on the Merion Tribute House's eight manicured acres to hold their ceremony. The front lawn is a popular spot for ceremonies, as the wedding party can make a grand entrance from the house through the pointed arch wooden doors.

The Merion Tribute House is a beautiful space but it is also a tribute to those who served in World War I. This can be seen throughout the house, with mentions of battles and military symbols throughout the space.

The Merion Tribute House provides white chairs for wedding ceremonies and will set them up for the wedding. There is a separate ceremony fee. Rehearsals may be scheduled to take place the day before the wedding and are included in the ceremony fee. Rental includes use of tables and gold chiavari chairs. A party supervisor is provided by the venue. A parking attendant and coat room attendant are also provided by the venue.

Pricing varies by day and season. The rental fee includes five hours of use. Couples who have their ceremony at the Merion Tribute House will be given an extra half hour of time. This time does not include setup or breakdown time. Additional hours are available for an extra cost. Friday and Saturday weddings must end by midnight. Weddings on other days must end at 10 p.m. Couples must choose a caterer from the Merion Tribute House list of vendors.

• Fireplace nooks
  • Stained glass
  • Two on-site parking lots
  • Grandfather clock

Make Your Grand Entrance!

Come in and picture your wedding reception in this remarkable facility. Inside and out, it reflects the arts and crafts tradition of the early 20th century with wood- beamed ceilings, stained glass, slate floors, a walk-in fireplace and a wedding balcony perfect for the toss of a bridal bouquet.

Historic Venue

Planning

625 Hazelhurst Ave, Merion Station, PA (610) 664-1267

Reviewed on 11/04/2016 Devan R

The entire staff at the Tribute House was fantastic in making sure everything was perfect for our wedding. They were willing to wait out the rain so I could have my outdoor ceremony. Planning with them was effortless!

Reviewed on 8/09/2016 Katie N

Using Merion Tribute House as our venue was an AMAZING experience. I could not have been happier with every aspect they handled. Their staff was lovely, the grounds were immaculate, and all of my guests spoke about how amazing MTH is. Beautiful location, knowledgeable and... Read More friendly staff, affordable.

Reviewed on 8/06/2016 Meghan S

The Merion Tribute House was a dream venue, it makes me giddy just thinking about the fact that I got to get married in such a magical place. Picking a venue and planning a wedding in the Philadelphia Area when you live in California is not an easy task, and I couldn't be... Read More happier that I went with Merion Tribute House - it was the PERFECT place for our day and set a vibe that was truly unique and wonderful. The building and grounds are breathtakingly beautiful and made our guests swoon - even my early pictures in front of the beautiful red doors are amazing! The grounds look gorgeous at all times of the year - and what is great about the space is it has it's own gothic vibe, but it can also be transformed to fit your personality. We felt like we were getting married in a castle, and it totally fit the romantic feeling we were going for. The beauty of the building speaks for itself, but it was the flexibility and kindness of the staff that really took this venue to the next level. Colette and team were so flexible about letting me stop by the venue when I was in town from CA any time I needed to, and the venue worked so well with all of my vendors. When a freak summer downpour rolled in 15 minutes before my outdoor ceremony (the weather report said 0% chance of rain!), the team at Merion Tribute House was AMAZING - they helped run all the flowers inside and set up a beautiful, intimate standing room only ceremony in front of their gorgeous fireplace in the foyer in no time - I actually think the ceremony ended up being more perfect than if we had had it outside. By the time the ceremony was done the rain had stopped and we had cocktails on the gorgeous terrace and did our picture outside in the romantic, dewy twilight. I can't imagine another venue handling this freak situation like such pros, and making us feel so at ease throughout. This is a wonderful, special, unique venue for your wedding - highly recommended!!!

Reviewed on 7/16/2016 Elizabeth W

My wife and I had our wedding reception at the Merion Tribute House just over a month ago. It is, without question, one of the most beautiful venues I have ever seen. Collette was our contact there, and right from the start, she made things so comforting for us. She was very... Read More easy going, incredibly nice, very organized, and very knowledgeable. She definitely made any stress about picking wedding venues disappear as soon as we sat down with her. I always appreciate history and character, and the Tribute House has both in spades. An absolutely beautiful stone constructed building, Merion Tribute House was built to commemorate the local soldiers who served in WWI. To help pay tribute, military emblems are embedded in stunning stained glass, and there are hand carved decorative figures and division patches all along the walls. All of this intricate and detailed work was such a nice backdrop to have throughout the evening. There was also a huge stone terrace and beautifully manicured front lawn and gardens right out front where we enjoyed our cocktail hour. My wife and I were even able to have lawn games out on front lawn, which was a big winner amongst our guests! The dinning area was more than large enough to fit our total number of guests (just around 150). No one was confined to tight spaces, and everyone was able to move around without problems. Our DJ was up on a stage looking down on the guests, and dance floor, which made for a very organized set up all around. My wife and I are so happy our wedding was at The Merion Tribute House, thanks again to Collette and everyone for making it possible!

Reviewed on 5/02/2016 Genevieve R

If I could give this venue more than 5 stars I would. This venue was amazing. We had our wedding there on April 29th, 2016 and it was so beautiful. We have gotten so many compliments on the venue, all the vendors and guests loved it and it was incredible. It was cold and... Read More rainy so we had to have the ceremony inside even though I had my heart set on having it outside. However, Colette and Terri were able to make it happen inside and be just as beautiful as I had ever imagined. They let you borrow their decorations free of charge and are extremely helpful. If you are questioning choosing your this as your venue, I would like to encourage you to pick this location. You will not regret it. You will have an amazing day. Thank you Merion Tribute House for making our day so much more special!!!!

Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 10/25/2015 Hind G

The Merion Tribute House was very flexible and helpful with whatever I wanted to do. They let me bring my own food and decorations and everything. Not to mention that the place is beautiful and so memorable for my guests.

Reviewed on 8/19/2015

we hosted our wedding at the Merion tribute house on Sunday august 16th 2015 This was the perfect venue for our Sunday afternoon wedding. The Merion Tribute house set in a beautifully matured garden like area, with a long driveway that blew guests minds as they approached. We... Read More had our ceremony of the front lawn, We didn't need any décor at all. The venue has such beautiful gardens and planters that it sets the tone for any affair. Our cocktail hour took place between the stone patio, legion room, lounge area and main hall.. all beautifully decorated areas!!!! Photos do not do the Merion Tribute house justice, you have to see it in person to appreciate its beauty and elegance. We worked directly with Colette thru out the planning process..... She was so patient, kind, understating and extremely helpful!!! Colette made great suggestions that made our wedding day even more special.... She responds to emails and phone calls so quickly, which is very important when planning a wedding and makes the process seem stress free.... I would refer any couple looking for a great venue to the Merion Tribute House ( ask for Colette)

Reviewed on 8/19/2015

Reviewed on 7/31/2015 Jennifer G

Our wedding was May 2, 2015 and all of our guests and us enjoyed a beautiful day at this venue. Photos on the grounds as well as in the front sitting rooms are beautiful. We were able to bring alcohol and decorations to the venue and store them securely about 5 days before our... Read More wedding. The staff was helpful for preparations, however, I think additional time in person or on the phone would have made our rehearsal run more smoothly. Instead I had to meet with staff for almost 30 minutes while everyone else had already arrived for the rehearsal. The rehearsal fee is quite competitive and all setup and takedown of chairs outside went very smoothly. Suites for both bridal and groom's party are big enough and very comfortable for getting ready. The venue comfortably holds 130-150 to allow enough dance floor space; I could not imagine 175 guests and tables fitting well. End-of-event logistics became stressful for me as the bride because the staff person was overly concerned about all items being removed, which we were already doing. Overall, the venue speaks for itself and the staff will ensure that your wedding runs smoothly.

Reviewed on 7/25/2015 Eleanor W

These guys know weddings. They have everything ready to go for you, and work well with the vendors to get everything set-up and running smoothly. It is the most gorgeous location, and it will awe your guests with its beauty. Our guests said it was the best wedding location they... Read More had every been to. The front rooms are perfect for cocktail hour, as well as the porch, and the ballroom is just the right size for a mid-size wedding. If you are looking for a traditional, yet unique, venue, this is definitely the place.

Gorgeous and Helpful

Reviewed on 8/19/2014 Dana B

The venue is gorgeous and the staff is helpful, accommodating, and flexible. Loved it.

Perfect Venue for a Fairytale Wedding

Reviewed on 8/01/2014 Angela H

My now husband discovered Merion Tribute House through an Internet search when our previously booked reception venue fell through. Luckily we had plenty of time. This was the BEST thing that could have happened in our wedding planning as it was a true blessing to find this... Read More exceptionally unique venue. My husband was very clear that he wanted a UNIQUE space--no hotels, no country clubs--so we didn't have many options. I also wanted a venue that was close to our ceremony site AND was nice enough to take our pictures so we wouldn't have a separate photo stop. Merion had it all and more! I cannot describe in words what a beautiful backdrop it provided for our wedding. All of our guests commented on its beauty and asked where we found it. The venue speaks for itself, but what really made planning a pleasure was the Merion staff. We were so relieved that they didn't have crazy restrictions and were available to answer all of our questions and concerns. We were allowed to make appointments to walk through the venue multiple times as we wanted to show our parents and photographer. Every time we did a walk through, I could picture our wedding day more clearly! Discovering this castle-like venue was meant to be! Merion really made our wedding a true fairytale.

Perfect venue for 75-150 guests

Reviewed on 7/05/2014 Jessica P

This venue is so perfect for a medium-sized wedding. The photos speak for themselves, it's a gorgeous building with gorgeous grounds. But the other main reason we picked it was the size. You have the place all to yourself, no other weddings or guests or recreationalists... Read More walking around or near your reception. But it was still small enough that with 100 guests it felt intimate. There were separate spaces for the cocktail hour and the reception. We used the patio throughout the whole night, enjoying the beautiful views and nice May weather. Collette and her staff were superb. They responded immediately to every question. They were incredibly professional, but also willing to accommodate us any time they could. For example, our wedding was on a Friday and there was no event scheduled the day before. So they let us use the large basement to make the flower arrangements and store them in their huge refrigerators. A lot of places would've said that's against the rules or an extra fee or just a hassle, but Collette said "Sure, no problem." I can't recommend them highly enough.

Fairytale Come True

Reviewed on 6/18/2014 Katie C

Merion Tribute House was the perfect venue for my wedding. I always imagined feeling like a princess on my wedding day, and Merion Tribute House helped make my dream come true! The venue looks like a castle! It has beautiful decor and the front lawn was perfect for our ceremony.... Read More Though I recommend getting married later in the day so the sun isn't blazing on your guests because there is no shade on the front lawn. However, there is shade on the side of the building which is a separate spot for a ceremony. Our cocktail hour was in the legion room and on the terrace. And our reception was in the ballroom. The ballroom was recently updated and designed to fit any color scheme. And the dance floor looks small compared to the room, but it was the perfect size. The size of the floor was actually mathematically calculated to fit the average number of guests to the amount of people who actually dance. Also, I really liked how the venue gave us a list of recommended vendors that have come to that venue before. As far as the caterer, you can pick from there list or you can choose your own, but you will have to pay a fee to pick someone that isn't from their list (but it's a pretty good sized list). Lastly, the communication with the venue was excellent. They always got back to us right away and they even stayed late one day so I could stop by to show my mom the venue. Everyone there is really nice, helpful, and will answer any questions you may have. They are also there for the rehearsal which is free of charge. The coordinator and our officiate walked us through the logistics of everything. Be aware that your coordinator of the rehearsal may not be the same person who is there on your wedding day. However, that was not an issue for us because each person made the wedding run smoothly from start to finish. I would recommend this venue to anyone who want a fairytale style wedding.

Fairy tale come true.

Reviewed on 4/29/2014 Jessica L

MTH is an absolutely gorgeous hall. I could not have chosen a better location for my wedding. My only complaint is that you have to use one of their caterers (I unfortunately chose Tuxedo Caterers and was not happy with my end result but that had nothing at all to do with MTH.)... Read More If I had to get married all over again, I would chose MTH - it was like a fairy tale come true.

A True Winter Wonderland

Reviewed on 3/03/2014 Adrian C

I got married on 1/25/14 and the Tribute House was the best and most beautiful venue ever. The old charm of this historical mansion made my wedding come to life. The huge century doors and beautiful balcony to take pictures on. Everything was wonderful from the staff and every... Read More moment of planning. I would highly recommend for both indoor and outdoor weddings

Fabulous!

Reviewed on 1/10/2014 Liz C

I just got married there on 12/27/13. The venue is stunning and the staff were fabulous! They were so helpful and accommodating to everyone at the event! They reay helped this frazzled bride and helped the whole affair run without a hitch! I could not have been more pleased!!!... Read More Thank you all so very much for making our day truly special!!

Happily Ever After Began Here

Reviewed on 11/03/2013 Carole B

When my daughter and her fiance decided to have an Alice in Wonderland themed wedding the choice of venue became evident from the start. Living only a few blocks from the Merion Tribute House we have attended and previously hosted an event at this neighborhood treasure.... Read More Colette and her entire staff (Thank you Suzette, Katie and Jeff) could not have been more accommodating to all of our many queries and to our unconventional decorating scheme. The grounds are just exquisite and the building offers your guests so much room in just beautiful surroundings. We cannot thank the staff enough for their courtesy, enthusiasm and sound professional advice. Our daughter’s wedding was everything we had hoped for and more and we cannot begin to thank everyone at the Tribute House for their assistance not only to us but to our vendors throughout our long planning process.

Worth every penny

Reviewed on 10/29/2013 Stephanie S

The staff at the MTH was amazing. They worked above and beyond to make my wedding day everything I imagined it would be even with the weather being horrible for days prior to the big day. The space is absolutely gorgeous and I would recommend them to anyone.

Magical Wedding Day

Reviewed on 10/16/2013 Rachel D

This venue is beyond amazing. Great service, beautiful setting and a memorable experience for both you and your guests. Your wedding will definitely stand out in the best way possible.

Fun & Flexible

Reviewed on 5/25/2013 Kelly M

A beautiful location with an amazing, helpful staff. Loved the flexibility to plan for an outdoor ceremony knowing that it could become an indoor ceremony if needed.

Beautiful Venue and Wonderful Staff!

Reviewed on 4/16/2013 Rachel H

The Merion Tribute House was the perfect venue for our wedding! The building and grounds looked spectacular! Collette, the general manager, was extremely helpful and responsive to all of my questions. Our day-of coordinator made sure everything ran smoothly. Everyone was... Read More extremely helpful and accommodating! They even took the time to set up the chairs for our ceremony in a perfect circle inside the grand ballroom. We could not have asked for a better place to hold our ceremony and reception.

Unique and memorable

Reviewed on 12/08/2012 Melissa H

We fell in love with the Merion Tribute House as soon as we visited. It's such an amazing space, with so much character. So many of our guests commented on how beautiful it was. It was intimate and cozy with the fireplaces. I hope we get invited to a wedding there!

Beautiful

Reviewed on 11/30/2012 Saleemah B

I got married on November 11, 2012 and my wedding reception at the Merion Tribute house was amazing. All communication with staff was prompt and efficient. I was able to visit the venue on any day there was not an event going on there. I chose many vendors off their "preffered"... Read More list and I was pleased with those selctions also. Only gripe I have was the hostess and coatroom attendant never introduced themselves to me upon arrival so half way theough the reception I asked who they were thinking they were wedding crashers. But overall excellent facility.

Wedding at the MTH

Reviewed on 9/14/2012 Dallas R

We had our wedding at the MTH on August 31st. We had a garden ceremony around 5:00 p.m. and it was absolutley gorgeous. The tribute house is beauiful and if you get married in the summer, they have gorgeous flowers in potted stone planters around the venue and it makes for an... Read More abosloute perfect garden wedding. They also offer free chivari chairs that you can use for reception!