Michelle Amarillo Event Planning

Hampton Roads, Virginia and Beyond

Event Planning + Design for Coastal Virginia

Michelle Amarillo Event Planning (MAEP) is an event planning boutique specializing in personalized parties that celebrate life and love! MAEP offers Full Planning + Design and Partial Planning. | Serving Coastal Virginia and beyond!

After Party, Rehearsal Dinner, Welcome Party, Ceremony, Cocktail Hour, Day After Brunch, Reception, Rehearsal, Wedding

Destination Weddings, Full Service Wedding Planning, RSVP Tracking, Planning

Hampton Roads, Virginia and Beyond

Reviewed on 4/10/2017 Meredith L

Todd and I were so happy that Michelle was able to work with us. My mom was very involved in the wedding planning process as well, and we all loved Michelle. She was easy going, but very attentive to details, crafty, and able to wrangle a large wedding party come time for the... Read More rehearsal! Even better, she recommended fantastic vendors, which really pulled the entire night together. From the start, I felt more like I was working with a friend rather than someone we had hired, which speaks a lot to Michelle's character. I would not change a thing about the planning process or our amazing wedding, which wouldn't have happened without Michelle!

Best Wedding Planner Ever!

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Bernadette E

We can honestly say that choosing Michelle Amarillo was one of the best decisions we made while planning our wedding. When we decided to start planning, we were so overwhelmed and had no idea where to begin in the process. Our initial meeting with Michelle immediately put us at... Read More ease and lifted the wedding stress from our shoulders. Michelle was very professional and easy to work with. She worked around our busy schedules to set up phone calls and was always available when we had questions for her. She had wonderful suggestions for vendors and offered good advice based on her experiences. She was always open to our ideas or concerns and did an amazing job of executing our vision. On our wedding day, Michelle took care of every little detail. She organized all of the vendors, helped set up the reception, and made sure the timeline ran smoothly. It was such an amazing feeling to truly enjoy the day, without any worries. I would highly suggest anyone looking for an experienced wedding planner at an affordable price to use Michelle Amarillo Event Planning. We could not have done it without her and we are so grateful for her service!

Reviewed on 5/04/2015 Paulette J

I cannot say enough great things about Michelle. She and my husband had been friends for years and when we had our initial meeting, I knew that I didn't want anyone else planning our wedding. Unfortunately, she had a scheduling conflict with the date we initially picked, but I... Read More was so set on her, we changed our date. From our first meetings, she understood exactly the type of event we wanted. We wanted something elegant, but also something fun and exciting. This was exactly the type of wedding we had. Michelle was never afraid to say no to me and while the idea I had was cute, it was not going to tie into the theme of our wedding. Michelle is very well connected to vendors in the area and if we ever had any questions about which videographer to use or which florist to use, she always had suggestions for us. She also responded in a very timely manner to any emails we sent her and is very up to date with technology. My husband loves his spreadsheets so she created a whole wedding folder for us on Google Docs where we could share budget updates, receipts, to-do lists. Michelle definitely kept us organized and on time when it came to booking vendors and vendor payments. There were definitely a few breakdowns during the process, but Michelle was always there to calm me down and reassure me that everything was going to be fine. The fact that I was at 0% stress the day of my wedding is a true testament to Michelle's wedding planning skills. I had zero worries that morning. We even had a last minute guest that my husband found out about the day of the wedding and she took care of it with no problem. I didn't even find out about it until it came time for the reception! I kept telling people that I didn't want to do anything on my wedding day except attend my own wedding and that's exactly what I did. I don't know what I would have done without Michelle throughout the wedding planning process, but I am definitely glad she was with us every step of the way!

Reviewed on 11/18/2017 Leigh Ann S

Michelle was recommended by a few of our friends and I definitely understand why. As soon as my husband and I had our first meeting with Michelle, I knew we found our planner. I saw how much hard work she put into all the planning and it definitely showed on our big day. She was... Read More there every step of the way. I can’t thank her enough for all she’s done for us!

Reviewed on 11/06/2017 Richelle C

I have always loved Michelle's work with past weddings and I told my fiancé if we ever needed to hire a wedding planner for our big day then it would have to be Michelle. We started planning by ourselves with the help of our family until life events caught up to us and we... Read More realized that the time was now to get in touch with Michelle. We had a vision for what our day would be like and working with Michelle to make it come true had been an absolute joy! By the end of our wedding planning journey, out of all the stressful not so fun moments Michelle brought such a positive light and was there for us every step of the way. She not only made everything easier with keeping us track with to do lists, she helped with ideas, day of obstacles and communicating with vendors when I didn't know the answers. She was my shoulder to cry on when I had a wedding dress emergency, I don't know how much I can thank her for being there for me. Our wedding day was everything we wanted it to be and so much more. We wouldn't be able to experience such a magical night with out Michelle.

Reviewed on 6/08/2017 Anne N

My husband and I can't thank Michelle enough for helping to make our wedding day stress free and gorgeous! We had a year and a half long engagement and we were in contact with Michelle from the very beginning. We hired her for full planning and design services, so we could... Read More just sit back and relax. Her designs were awesome and exactly like my minimalist home decor style. I really didn’t need to make a pinterest board. She kept us organized with every detail and came to every vendor meeting with us. We thoroughly enjoyed the planning process because of her. When our wedding day finally came, everyone around me kept commenting on how calm I was and how beautiful the reception looked. Our guests had so much fun dancing, winning the table centerpieces, taking photos/videos in the photobooth, eating Westin’s blueberry cheesecake and drinking boba tea! Yeah that’s right, we’re the first to bring out the boba lol. Thanks to Michelle for executing and coordinating the delivery of Jelly Ball. I definitely overestimated the food with too much sugar because we basically took home our 4-tier cake. Our alcohol tab is a different story… but those types of things are so unpredictable and everything else was definitely under control of Michelle and her team. Michelle will make your planning process so much easier. It can be a big expense to your wedding budget, but it was worth every penny to us. I will truly miss working with her.

Reviewed on 5/27/2017 Abigail C

I think I could plan a wedding for myself, but when you add everything else in life - I doubt I could do it without losing my sanity. That's what Michelle is... peace of mind to say the least. We picked Michelle since some of the best weddings we've been to were coordinated by... Read More her. Finally, it was our turn to have her! My husband and I both have busy jobs and it doesn't help that I work crazy hours as a health professional. Michelle is very accommodating to meet with us to the point that when our schedules weren't matching to meet in person, we met by video conference. Michelle is also very flexible in helping a couple find what they want. I say this because I had a vision in how I wanted my flowers to look, but the initial quote at one florist had me worried that it wouldn't happen. Instead, Michelle gave us options on what we would be comfortable with and it turned out even better than I could have imagined. I also love how organized Michelle is. There is this awesome master google doc she makes that keeps everything in one place for both my husband and I to see. I also love that she keeps all our contracts and details in one spot to easily reference. Other than organization, Michelle helps couples see the big picture. It's easy to get lost in the details, especially when my husband can be nit picky as a graphic designer. If ever there was a debate about design or protocol, Michelle would be the verdict on what was right. What I value the most about Michelle is that she really becomes your family throughout the process. There were some issues that came up and Michelle would be the one that handled it so we would not have to worry. She was always our advocate throughout the process whether if a vendor was running behind or just keeping us in line for our budget. I am truly going to miss all the time we got to spend with her!

Reviewed on 4/26/2017 Janet L

Michelle was absolutely wonderful to work with! As mother of the bride, I sincerely appreciated Michelle's ambitions and extra efforts to help us create a magical wedding event. Michelle put together the best team of vendors possible and followed through on every detail with... Read More each of them. Michelle is very personable, creating a relaxed and enjoyable working relationship. At the same time, she is creative, organized and efficient and did an excellent job maintaining a timeline for all the details that go into planning an event such as this. I would recommend Michelle without hesitation to help plan your next special occasion.

Reviewed on 11/07/2016 Laura C

I cannot say enough about Michelle! She is one of the best people I've met and is an AMAZING planner! I felt so comfortable on my big day with her there. Everything went perfectly!!! We met with her 3 or 4 times before the big day at the venue and she was so helpful! She would... Read More then follow up with me to make sure everything was done before the next meeting. She was so responsive whenever I contacted her! I HIGHLY recommend her!! If you want a hard working, lovely lady working next to you on your day, please pick Michelle!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Kathryn S

We absolutely loved working with Michelle! After seeing my two sisters plan a wedding without additional support, my husband and I knew that for our sanity, and my mother's, we needed to hire a wedding planner. It was very important to us that our parents enjoy the ceremony and... Read More reception as the honored guests they were without any added responsibilities. In fact, my mother was so impressed with Michelle's work, that she said, "Michelle was your gift to me, she took care of everything!" I agree—we really made a great choice with Michelle; she was prompt and helpful with an easy going personality. She understood our quirky personalities and never tried to push us in a direction we didn't want to go. In the days leading up the ceremony, my husband and I were worry-free knowing that Michelle was handling all the vendors, set-up, and last-minute details. It goes without saying that we highly recommend Michelle for event planning.

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Chaz H

We got married in Sandbridge and had to plan our wedding remotely from our home in Chicago. Michelle was a HUGE help throughout the process. She was very amenable to evening calls so we had time to get home from work and call her from our Central Time Zone. She visited our... Read More wedding venue to take photos and measurements when we needed. We knew we could count on her to respond thoughtfully and promptly to any of our inquiries. To top it all off she was a wonderful person to work with and it was a joy getting to know her. Although we only hired her as a partial planner Michelle continually checked in on us as our wedding date grew closer to make sure we were on track. We had a lot of last minute requests and a number of DIY decor projects and Michelle did a great job keeping everything organized. She kept us on our timeline and we even arranged for her assistant to pick up a large order of Taco Bell for a late night snack. I can honestly say the wedding day went perfectly and if there was a problem we had no idea. We were able to relax and focus on getting married without having to worry about a thing.

Rockstar Wedding Planner

Reviewed on 11/04/2015 Jessica G

As an out of town bride, Michelle was there to make sure every element of our vision came to fruition for our big day. She kept me calm despite the countless challenges (mostly with my conflicting ideas) and was always ready with creative solutions. She kept all of our vendors,... Read More family, bridal party, and peanut gallery focused and did so in the most sweet and kind way I have ever seen. In many cases her assistance was outside the scope of her duties as our partial planner. Even when things were completely out of her control she found a way to get it all back on track. We had the best night of our lives, her team was amazing, and most importantly our guests have not stopped raving that our wedding was the best they've ever attended. We were not only so grateful to work with such a talented professional but are so thankful to have gained a friend. MAEP is the best around; don't waste your time going to anyone else!

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Kristen B

Investing in Michelle Amarillo Event Planning was the best thing I could have done. Although I am originally from the Hampton Roads Area I lived ands still do in Charlotte, NC. Having Michelle as an extra pair of eyes and hands helped me out tremendously during my wedding... Read More planning process. Michelle treats you like family and never tried to force any ideas or suggestions. She continues to be a great friend of the family to this day and I would recommend MAEP to any future bride in the and out of the 757 area :)

Amazing Planner

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Chandra M

I hired Michelle Amarillo as a partial event planner to help us plan my daughter's wedding in 5 weeks. Yes you heard correctly! First I was impressed with Michelle’s professional yet friendly demeanor. Secondly, that she would even attempt to tackle a wedding on such a short... Read More notice. Choosing Michelle was one of the best decisions we made and helped relieve the stress I was under. She did a phenomenal job stepping in working with some of the ideas we already had in place. Yet offering her ideas and expertise that we so readily accepted. The wedding was held out of state in Pennsylvania. Michelle arrived a day early to begin the preliminaries and hit the ground running the morning of the wedding. She took care of every detail of the wedding & reception. I didn’t have to worry about a thing and could focus on my daughter on her special day. It is evident Michelle loves what she does. She is incredible and a joy to work with! I highly recommend Michelle as an outstanding wedding planner!

A Dream Come True! :o)

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Ashley M

Michelle is: Beautiful Reliable Professional Reasonably Priced Relatable Attention to Detail Precise I used Michelle's partial planning to plan my wedding in 5 weeks. I have dreamt of my wedding since I was 8 years old and now I'm 30 and everything I ever imagined... Read More and more came true to life! I highly recommend her! :o)

CHOOSE MICHELLE!

Reviewed on 9/12/2015 Candace F

I originally didn't want a wedding coordinator but my now husband talked me into it. Honestly, it was the best decision I made during the wedding planning process! Michelle was very responsive, professional, creative, and has an eye for detail. She went above and beyond with her... Read More services. I can't thank her enough for taking the stress out of the planning process and my wedding day! The day of our wedding was a breeze and not to mention beautiful! I HIGHLY recommend Michelle!

You need to hire MAEP!

Reviewed on 6/09/2015 Riz M

Our special day went without a hitch, thanks to Michelle! She made everything so easy for us and we couldn't have gotten through it without her guidance, preparation, and patience!! We are so happy to have used her planning services, and will always count her as one of our... Read More friends!

Invaluable professional for my wedding

Reviewed on 3/19/2015 Monica J

I did not originally plan on having a planner for my wedding. It was not in the budget, and I thought I could do it on my own or just have an organized friend help out on wedding weekend. I ended up hiring Michelle for her partial planning services for day-of coordination, and... Read More I can tell you my wedding would NOT have come off anywhere near as beautifully if she hadn't been there. She ran my ceremony rehearsal; none of us would have known what to do if she had not been there coaching us. She did all the decorations, coordinated with my other vendors, got everybody where they needed to be when they needed to be there, and coordinated things after the wedding, too. I had described to Michelle and given her photos for my ideas for the wedding, but it's more like she was actually in my head and could see the same vision I had. I was amazed and so glad when I got to my reception and EVERYTHING was EXACTLY how I had imagined it. That is all thanks to Michelle and her creativity, her ability to listen to the bride, communicate with others, coordinate and execute an event. She is truly a professional, and writing a review hardly gives her credit for what an important part of my wedding she was. She'll become more than just your planner, though; I'm keeping her as a friend!

Would of eloped without her

Reviewed on 9/18/2014 Becky m

I knew right from the beginning that Michelle was the planner for us. She was so insightful, creative, and such a peach to work with. She was also tech savvy, which helped us since we were planning a long distance wedding. We gave her our budget, ideas, vision and she went to... Read More work to find vendors that fit. I'm not a phone person so Michelle was also great with communicating with me through emails and texts. The day of the wedding, I was stress free thanks to Michelle and her fantastic assistant. I knew everything was taken care of and just enjoyed the prep time with friends and family. The wedding went smoothly and the reception was a party like no other. So many people came up and told us it was the best wedding they'd been to and complimented our wedding planner for doing a fantastic job. Throughout the whole planning process I told people 'We couldn't do this without our wedding planner' and I meant it every time! It's a small fee for such great service!

Incredible Service!

Reviewed on 9/15/2014 Heather

Michelle was incredible! I cannot sing her praises enough. Michelle was recommended to me by a friend who's wedding she had recently planned. While I had seen the details and checked out her blog for other events, what really drew me in was her personality- it didn't feel like... Read More an interview the way some initial vendor meetings can...it felt like I was meeting a good friend for coffee and pastries! She was very responsive and so supportive. My mother and sister live out of state so she was part wedding planner part therapist at times... She was always ready with some new ideas to help my vision come to life and it was more than I ever expected. The venue allowed us to see the space before we were introduced and Michelle took my vision and made it better...it was incredible. More than the design, Michelle kept our rehearsal and wedding day running smoothly, rain or shine (we had both!)Our priest had agreed to do a later ceremony than he normally would but still had to get back to perform evening Mass-Michelle made it happen, the timing was perfect. My husband commented after the wedding that he knew Michelle was there to help things run smoothly, but he didn't realize it would be absolute perfection! This review really doesn't even cover half of the service that Michelle provided to us. She truly takes the most joy from knowing she has made her couple happy (ecstatic in our case). Her heart and soul goes into each wedding she does and yet I never once felt like anything less than her absolutely focus of attention.

Thank you, Michelle!

Reviewed on 8/31/2014 Annie S

First of all, I am trilled that I decided to hire a planner. Second, I am so lucky that I found Michelle! I couldn't have asked for a better experience with her. She is friendly, efficient, responsive, and detail-oriented. During the several months and multiple meetings before... Read More my wedding day, Michelle gave me tips and advice which helped keep my mind at ease. I can't even recall how many times my fiance said to me, "ask Michelle." My mother and I prepared a bunch of DIY decor for the reception, and I knew I needed Michelle's vision to execute it on the big day. When I walked into the reception, I was in awe! It couldn't have been more perfect. I had zero stress before or during the wedding and reception, and I owe it all to Michelle. Book her while you can! You won't regret it!

The most ninja of all wedding planners

Reviewed on 7/30/2014 Leah K

Nothing about our wedding would have been possible without Michelle. She handled our insane work schedules and habitual procrastination. Everything about the wedding was perfect, and she took all of the pressure off of us. Anytime anything came up, the answer was always to "Call... Read More Michelle" and she would take care of it. For weeks after the wedding, I still wanted to call her if a problem came up in my life. If it had been left up to me, we would have had an empty room with booze and an ipod shuffle. She thinks of everything and then goes out and makes it happen. I was probably the worst bride because I have absolutely no aesthetic abilities, nor did I have a definite idea of what I wanted, but somehow she made it into everything I had pictured in my head. And she kept me sane through the whole process.

I love MAEP!

Reviewed on 6/13/2014

I have attended several weddings where Michelle was the wedding planner and experienced her exceptional service firsthand when she helped plan my best friend's wedding where I was the maid of honor. Michelle worked closely with the bride and myself to work out every detail from... Read More the timeline of booking vendors to the timeline of the actual big day. Michelle made sure that nothing was left out and did it with such care and creativity. She truly loves what she does and it is evident in all that she does for her clients. I highly recommend her for those brides who are looking for a creative, classy, and organized individual to help them showcase their love on their wedding day.

Amazing Planner!

Reviewed on 6/07/2014 Stephanie

After I got engaged, I thought wedding planning would be a breeze but when I realized it wasn't and that I needed help ASAP, I contacted Michelle and I couldn't be happier with my decision! Michelle was so easy to work with and really kept me on track. Every time I would speak... Read More with or meet with her, I would leave with invaluable ideas and advice. On our wedding day, I was able to relax and enjoy the day because I knew Michelle would have everything taken care of and she would handle anything unexpected with ease. I know that my wedding would not have gone as smoothly without her and I'm so glad we chose her!

Book Michelle while you can!

Reviewed on 5/30/2014 Shanley I

Let me start off by saying, having Michelle Amarillo as my wedding planner was by far the best decision I could have made for my wedding. Michelle is the perfect balance between creativity and control. She takes the time to understand the vision you have for your wedding,... Read More incorporating the most important details while contributing her own touches to enhance the artistry, to keep things consistent with the theme as well as keeping things within budget. Michelle went to great lengths to work with vendors and the competitors to get me the best deal and ultimately saving me hundreds of dollars! She used many of her own personal supplies of beautiful vintage frames, chalkboards, and baskets to decorate my venue, which also saved me from having to purchase all these items myself. From the beginning Michelle was always in contact with me, making sure I was on time with save the dates, invitations, dress fittings, scheduling meetings with vendors etc. Michelle has many wonderful and talented vendors that she works with, and works with often, however if you would like to incorporate other vendors she is exceptionally accommodating, making new contacts and getting them up to speed effortlessly. On the day of my wedding, I couldn’t have been more stress free! Any concern, question, problem, went straight to Michelle, saving me the headache, and allowing me to relish the time with the love of my life, family and friends. I cannot say enough great things about Michelle and would, happily, book her all over again!!!