Cakes + Desserts

422 Franklin Ave., Hartford, CT (860) 296-7628

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Natasha P

We cannot thank Modern Pastry enough for doing such an incredible job with our wedding cake! They were so nice and accommodating. We actually bought a crystal stand that they were nice enough to help assemble. It looked spectacular and tasted delicio0us! Would highly... Read More recommend!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Lauren A

Beautiful Cake and everyone loved the mini cupcakes! Delicious cake!

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Brittany E

Our wedding cake was perfect! We looked through sample books they provided and we combined two looks from two different cakes. It came out beautiful and elegant!

Reviewed on 3/30/2016 Lauren G

I absolutely love my cake! Not only was it delicious but it was exactly what I wanted. I showed Lisa a picture of my cake and it came out just like the picture!

Reviewed on 12/15/2015

Modern Pastry did an amazing job with our cake! We wanted something that was pretty but not too formal or overdone. At our tasting, which was really fun, we went through all the books and got to meet the owner to discuss what we were looking for. They were really helpful with... Read More suggestions for a simple design with some little touches that matched the colors of our wedding. The cake was beautiful, they attached the cake "topper" which also went down the side of our cake perfectly and it was really delicious. I would highly recommend modern pastry for your wedding cake!

Best cake ever!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Seana M

Modern Pastry created this red pick up truck grooms cake for our rehearsal dinner. Words cannot describe how great of a job they did on this cake. The detailing was incredible, all the way down to the license plate on the truck and the stitching on the golf bag in the bed of the... Read More truck. They even created a fondant version of our dog in the bed of the truck! The cake itself was also incredible! Very moist and perfectly cooked. I will order all of my cakes from Modern Pastry from now on. The look on my husband face when he saw it was priceless. They are extremely talented and it was easily one of the best cakes I have ever eaten.

Fantastic service and cake!

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Kristin L

We got our cake at Modern Pastry as part of our package through our venue (Marquee Events & Catering) which provided us with the option for "basic decorations". When we got to the tasting the woman who helped us was so sweet, laying out all of the flavor options for us and then... Read More making suggestions based on popularity, she even offered a free espresso to hubby (who could barely contain his excitement at just being in a traditional old-school Italian bakery!). Once we got into the decorations I was amazed at the range that was included in the "basics." We found what we were looking for in the sample book and she was able to customize to our colors. The experience was incredibly easy as the venue handled everything else for there but the cake was phenomenal (alternating layers of chocolate and vanilla with strawberry-ricotta filling). Highly recommended!!

Amazing to Work With

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Lynsey E

Modern pastry was wonderful to work with. They listened to all of our ideas and turned them into an amazing piece of art. The cake was not only beautiful, but delicious too. My husband and I definitely recommend Modern pastry for all of your wedding cake needs.

Great Local place!

Reviewed on 9/17/2014 Melissa Olympia L

Family owned Modern has been a pastry and cake staple in the Hartford area. I was so excited to have them make lemon filled cupcakes for my wedding. The cup cake tower and top tier cake with little yellow flowers were fantastic and their staff was great to work with! Thank... Read More you!

Amazing wedding cake!

Reviewed on 7/16/2014 Katie B

We had such a great experience at Modern Pastry! It took us a while to decide but they were so patient and let us try any combination we wanted! The cake was absolutely amazing too! So delicious! And they designed it perfectly to what I had requested. I highly recommend them!

Just 4 me!

Reviewed on 7/04/2014 Terra J

I picked my cake out and it was delicious! They also did my groom cake, plus the father's day cake!

Easiest part of wedding planning!

Reviewed on 2/20/2014 Nicole P

Modern Pastry was awesome - completely worked with my fiance and I on what we wanted - and when we loved more than one of their flavors they recommended doing every other layer different - which we did and LOVED it! The cake came out beautiful. I'd highly recommend this bakery!

Delicious Cake

Reviewed on 11/25/2013 Sara L

We used Modern Pastry Shop for our wedding cake. My mother and I went for the cake testing, as my husband is not a sweets person. They let us choose whatever flavor cakes and frosting that we wanted, ran in the back, and next thing we know we each have a plate full of cake... Read More samples....absolutely delicious! We had a hard time choosing because they were all so good, so we went with each layer a different flavor cake and filling. Staff is all super friendly too, definitely recommend Modern Pastry Shop.

Amazing cake!

Reviewed on 8/06/2013 Megan C

Our cake from Modern Pastry was UNBELIEVABLY amazing! It looked beautiful, and tasted so delicious. I usually expect wedding cakes to be dry and boring, but ours was moist and the frosting was so good. I couldn't wait til our anniversary to eat the top layer, so my husband and I... Read More have been enjoying it all week!

Delicious!

Reviewed on 7/10/2013 michelle m

So tasty and added customized design on cake!

Delicious!

Reviewed on 6/25/2013 Lindsey S

Modern Pastry provided our cake for our wedding at Maneeley's. It was very convenient to work with them because the cake was included with our wedding package. All we had to do was go to the bakery to pick out what we wanted and they took care of the rest. When we went for our... Read More tasting, they offered to prepare us as many samples and flavors as we wanted. We ended up going with chocolate cake/raspberry mousse and vanilla cake/strawberry mousse. It was phenomenal. So many people commented on how good it was. We had some leftovers to take home, and we gobbled it up the next day. We can't wait for our one year anniversary so we can eat the top layer! The decorations came out beautiful too. They got the colors of the sugar flowers just right. Lisa and Carla were great and really fun to work with. Whenever I mention this place, people have already heard of them, so you know its good!

Beautiful Cake

Reviewed on 6/15/2013 Nicole M

Our cake was beautiful and delicious. Only problem we had was when we got to the reception, the cake was a little slanted so they had to leave the top tier in front of the cake and put it on top when it was time to cut it. They said it was because of the separations with fresh... Read More flowers. The flavors were amazing!

Delicious cupcakes and easy delivery

Reviewed on 1/09/2013 Maggie l

Modern worked with our venue, A Villa Louisa, so all we had to do was go in for a tasting and pick the cake – they took care of getting the final headcount, delivery and set up without us having to worry about a thing. When we went in for our tasting, I think we tried every... Read More combination of cake / filling available, and went with carrot cake (no nuts, no raisins, so almost more like a spice cake) with cream cheese frosting. We did cupcakes and a small top tier for us to cut. The cupcakes were included in our package, but I believe it’s about $2 / guest which is pretty affordable for the size and quality cupcakes we received. For our small cake, we had an idea of what we wanted and they worked with us to do the topper exactly how we wanted. We had to pay for this part separately but I thought it was very reasonable for a wedding cake ($45 for a 10”, two layer round, with fondant and detail work ) They do tastings any time they are open without an appointment, which is pretty convenient. Parking can be challenging if they're busy but is worth the walk (go during the day if you're concerned about that section of Hartford.) I also recommend picking up a few pastries to go if you go in for a tasting. I haven’t had Italian pastries that perfect outside of Italy.

Wedding Cake + Desserts

Reviewed on 10/18/2012 Jamie M

We used Modern for our wedding cake - which they did a fabulous job on! We also ordered mini pastries and cookies which our guests really enjoyed. The desserts were setup with a espresso machine for an added touch!

Perfect!

Reviewed on 10/08/2012 Renae L

Modern is well known for their great tasting pastries. But I brought in a picture of a cake I wanted them to do for my wedding. Not only did they make the cake perfectly but they also helped to save me money by offering an alternative to fondant.

The most delicious cake I've ever eaten...

Reviewed on 10/06/2012 Samantha C

Modern Pastry did a fantastic job making our cake exactly the way we wanted it! My husband and I don't have much of a sweet tooth, but we ordered a marble cake with ricotta and chocolate chip filling and buttercream frosting and it was to die for! We got so many comments on... Read More how delicious and unique the cake was. We couldn't have picked a better cake maker!

cake

Reviewed on 10/02/2012 Crystal H

Yummy cake and i cant wait to eat the top of the cake next year. Worth the money all the way.

Modern Pastry is the BEST!

Reviewed on 9/23/2012 Jennifer P

My family has been going to Modern for cakes and pastries for as long as I can remember. I knew I wanted a unique cake that included cannolis, so Modern Pastry Shop was the first place I decided to talk to about my creation. Carla was great to work with us to make sure we got... Read More what we wanted and was super flexible when we had to make some last minute changes. The cake was absolutely delicious and was decorated beautifully. I would recommend them to anyone who needs a cake, pastries, cookies, or any other desserts. They are amazing!

Great choice

Reviewed on 9/14/2012 Katelyn B

Our wedding cake was delicious! Very personable and had a lot of great suggestions.. Our cake came out exactly as we wanted!

Yum!

Reviewed on 8/22/2012 Lorene F

The cake looked great and tasted wonderful. Guests were upset that there wasn't more to go around.