"No Macarena" DJ & Custom Music Service

Philadelphia and surrounding areas, NJ and DE

Smart music for your special day

An alternative to the typical wedding DJ experience. You won’t hear “The Macarena”, “Electric Slide”, “Hokey Pokey”, “Chicken Dance,” etc. We’re known for providing a custom music mix that reflects your taste and personality, while appealing to your guests and creating a fun, memorable event.

Wedding

MC Services, Recorded Music, Sound Equipment, Music

Philadelphia, PA Philadelphia and surrounding areas, NJ and DE (267) 428-5804

Reviewed on 8/14/2017 Christina G

Easy to book with and quick to reply to emails! Competitive pricing! Played everything we wanted! Handled requests from guests appropriately. Had people dancing all night. Seriously, I don't know what else you would want in a DJ company. Kim is super professional and... Read More Darrel, our DJ, was a lot of fun. Highly recommend.

2017-08-24T10:33:28 Response from the vendor

Thanks for the kind words, it was our pleasure!

Reviewed on 7/22/2017 Julia E

My husband and I love indie, ska and alternative - which is just about the opposite of what you typically hear at weddings - and we wanted a more relaxed vibe, not one with a thumping bass and blasting speakers. An acquaintance recommended No Macarena and I could not be happier... Read More with the service we received. Josh was the DJ for our event and he was phenomenal. He listened to every request we made and ensured that he had our wish list - and our very specific of what we didn't want - down to a 'T.' He played every song we requested and made sure that the music he selected fit right in with our tastes. He was courteous and funny and genuinely seemed happy to be DJ-ing our reception. We would absolutely recommend No Macarena to anyone!

2017-08-24T10:34:09 Response from the vendor

We love these types of events. Thanks for posing and congrats!

Reviewed on 6/27/2017 Kara K

No Macarena was reccommended to me by a friend and I'm so glad I booked them for our wedding! Danny Madonna was our designated DJ for the day. He reached out before the wedding to get some details straightened away, including some things I hadn't really thought about. He was... Read More super helpful bouncing ideas back and forth! When wedding day rolled around, everything was spot on, my guests loved the music selection! Thanks again, Danny!

Reviewed on 10/29/2017 Alli D

We had such a good feeling about Kim from our first meeting, and she did not disappoint. She took our playlist and ran with it. No flash, just good music, and that's exactly what we wanted. We kept saying, Kim just "gets it"! Our dance floor was packed all night!

Reviewed on 10/28/2017 Natalie T

Originally my husband and I were going to diy our music and have a spotify playlist. One week before our wedding my husband freaked out and said "wait, who's going to manage this???" We looked around for a DJ that could book last minute, wouldn't cost as much as the hall, and... Read More would do the job RIGHT. "No Macarena" accommodate connecting us with Darrell who did a fantastic job! He used my playlist as a template fitting in more songs, songs I would have never thought of and most importantly kept the night flowing without anyone at the wedding having to deal with our playlist. Not to mention, as the name suggests, there was no macarena anywhere in the night!

Reviewed on 10/24/2017 Ben A

Leading up to the wedding, Kim and Darrel were both super helpful and easy to work with. Darrel absolutely killed it on the wedding night. We gave him some playlists for inspiration and he made it his own and had everybody up on their feet the whole night. Could not recommend... Read More more highly!

Reviewed on 10/23/2017 Mary Catherine M

Easy, great DJ experience for our wedding in September of 2017. It was a simple and pleasant experience to book our wedding DJ through Kim who set us up with Dave Beck. Our guests were on the dance floor the whole night and we only had great reviews from them. A variety of... Read More music was played that appealed to our guests aged from 21-89. Dave was accommodating in handling our wedding specific songs (first dance/parent dances) and easily worked in the songs we requested to be played. The price was reasonable and the results were fantastic. Would definitely recommend.

Reviewed on 10/23/2017 Lisa F

We could not have been happier with No Macarena on our wedding day! Kim was so easy to get along with, at one point, she even helped calm me down when another vendor had upset me. Leading up to the wedding, she was great to communicate with - answered emails promptly and... Read More entertained all of my silly questions. The music was incredible, she knew exactly what to play to make everyone dance - old and young alike! We got compliments on the music all night, and for months after the wedding. Multiple people have even asked me for her contact info! They say that good music makes a wedding, and we couldn't agree more. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!!

Reviewed on 10/22/2017 Caitlin M

We hired "No Macarena" DJ & Custom Music Service for our recent wedding, and we could not have had a better experience. Our wedding planner (an alum from the live music production industry) recommended Kim at "No Macarena" to us, and we were so happy with her services. After all... Read More the more traditional wedding elements, we wanted a great dance party where all of our guests would have a great time, and that's exactly what we got. All communication with Kim was punctual, friendly and professional, and she was able to adeptly incorporate all (seriously, all) of our song requests, even the ones that were somewhat obscure or unusual. She took the time to have a detailed conversation with us and our planner ahead of time to clarify the genres of music we were going for, and she made sure to discuss any specific song requests that needed a place in the flow of the dancing. We landed on a mix of '70s disco and '80s-'90s hip hop, with some current dance hits mixed in, based on the age ranges of our guests and our preferences. She nailed this mixture perfectly and every song had a combination of the younger and older guests all dancing and singing along. She avoided all the stereotypical wedding songs we thought were overplayed, and of course avoided all the line dancing songs we didn't want, too. Even though I was the bride and probably should have been visiting with guests more throughout the night, I was on the dance floor all night instead. I couldn't get over the song selection and how she knew to play certain songs that we hadn't even necessarily discussed in our phone conversation, especially those that had personal meaning to us even if they were kind of strange for the general public to dance to (there were a couple of songs special to my sister and me, in particular, that I was so thankful she played, even though they weren't necessarily crowd favorites). Her selection throughout dinner service was also spot on, and again, included the best of the many songs we had listed on our initial sheet, but hadn't necessarily discussed over the phone. Kim also provided microphones and sound systems we used during the rest of the evening that made a big difference in ensuring all guests could properly hear our ceremony and music throughout the venue. We have recommended Kim and "No Macarena" to several friends and family members, and those who were in attendance at our wedding have already booked her. "No Macarena" truly made our wedding special to us and a ton of fun for our guests - we highly recommend Kim and her team to anyone in the Philly area looking for a DJ. We can't thank you enough, Kim!

Reviewed on 10/08/2017 Claire A

We are so glad we went with No Macarena for our wedding. Kim was super easy to deal with and our DJ for the night, Dave Beck, was the best. We had a last minute request for him to handle the sound for our outdoor ceremony and he managed it flawlessly. He also was wonderful... Read More during the reception and we had a lot of guests commenting on how much they enjoyed our DJ. He played a nice mix of music (motown, classic pop) and folks were dancing all night. The entire experience with No Macarena was great.

Reviewed on 9/29/2017 Mallory P

In 2003 I was at a wedding and heard a Bjork song during the cocktail hour and thought, "Wow, who is this DJ!?" I went to the DJ table and took the business card. It was No Macarena and I was 19 years old. Ten years later, my best friend got married and the DJ was really on... Read More the mark, so I asked my friend who the DJ was and she said No Macarena! So I didn't really shop around for a wedding DJ. My husband and I had had fun making a playlist of music we thought would be fun to hear at a wedding. I shared it with Kim so that she could get a read on us, and she wound up playing a lot of it, which was great. We had entertained the idea of just using that playlist on an iPod and foregoing having a DJ, but we're so glad we had Kim there to keep the party going. The price was very reasonable, and we were so happy with the whole event.

Reviewed on 9/03/2017 Missy T

My wife and I have some interesting musical tastes. Think: Michael McDonald, ABBA and the Spice Girls. Kim found a way to blend together our 'must-haves' with similar songs in the genre and when we gave her our "no play" list, we could feel the high-five through the phone as we... Read More could tell she was tired of playing them too. So many guests remarked how our set list was incredible. At a typical wedding, the music hits and misses with a few solid dance songs that get people out there, a few groaners that people begrudgingly dance to and some "huh?" songs that people use as an excuse to nibble their dessert or grab another drink. At our wedding, it was non-stop dancing and fun and our guests let us know how awesome it was. Thank you Kim!

Reviewed on 7/06/2017 Andrea M

Kim from No Macarena DJed at our wedding last June and did a fantastic job! The playlist run down for the ceremony and reception really went off without a hitch. She played every song we had requested and then some. It was so nice not having to worry about this aspect of the... Read More wedding on top of everything else. I would recommend No Macarena to anyone in that area!

Reviewed on 5/28/2017 Kathryn S

I've been to plenty of weddings where I didn't like the music, the transitions were bad, and no one stayed on the dance floor. Thanks to Dave Beck from No Macarena my dance floor was packed (and stayed that way). I'm a control freak and probably would have made up my own... Read More playlist for the whole night but didn't have time but he took the songs I wanted during different parts and built them into the perfect playlist. Moreover, my wedding coordinator bounced right before the ceremony started (Ahh!) but he did a great job of stepping up and making sure everything ran smoothly so I didn't even have a chance to panic! Loving this guy!!

Reviewed on 11/29/2016 Prisca S

Kim was an outstanding DJ for our wedding on 11/11/16. My husband and I could not have been happier with choosing to go with No Macarena for our special day. We had some pretty unique songs and Kim was able to play/transition them seamlessly. My husband and I later talked about... Read More how surprised we were regarding how many people were up and dancing and that was due to Kim! my guests loved the music and told me so numerous times. This may be a little thing but she also practiced and announced all of the names correctly of our wedding party for introductions which I thought was very professional and important to us. We loved working with Kim. She was incredibly responsive and easy to work with. She listened to us and really brought our vision to life in terms of music. Thank you, No Macerana!

Reviewed on 11/03/2016 Yasaman K

No Macarena was amazing! Our DJ was Joe Pizzio and he was incredible from beginning to end. Me and my husband started making couple of long playlists months before the wedding. we gather all the songs that we really loved and the ones we had good memories with growing up: for... Read More dancing, slow dancing, reception, happy hour ... We gave Joe those lists a week before the wedding. He was so great at receiving that huge list. I am Iranian and mu husband is American so there was a lot of International music there as well. Joe actually owned most of the music I sent him! He has a huge collection of diverse musics. we talked on the phone about what we really didn't want and what we did want and he was so great at listening to all our needs and helping us through. On the day of wedding, he showed up dressed in a beautiful suit although it was a verrry hot day in September. He was absolutely professional. He played everything as it was planned. He had a great sense on seemlessly mixing all these different genres that we have given him. Everyone was on the dance floor having fun. He could feel the energy so well. He coordinated with the caterers and the photographer for every single detail that was needed in the back. We didn't really want a loud DJ and Joe absolutely respected our wish. I would work with him again and again. Thank you so much for your incredible service!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Chris S

Josh Landow was the DJ for our wedding and he was awesome. We discussed the timeline and music the weekend before and he had a number of helpful suggestions. On the night, everything flowed very nicely and Josh did a great job at checking in with us at key points on the... Read More schedule (introductions, speeches, first dances, etc). Guests were giving him tons of compliments during the dancing. Overall, extremely professional and kept everyone on the dance floor. Couldn't ask for anything more!

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Kiki K

Kim was fantastic and had great taste in music! We gave her a lot of leeway for song selection, and we got so many compliments on the music we had to tell our guests we didn't pick them! :) Kim was also very helpful with setting up the microphone system for our ceremony.... Read More This wasn't part of her own system, but we didn't know how to set it up ourselves, so she stepped up and went above and beyond what we'd originally asked. We LOVED our experience with Kim!!

Reviewed on 10/24/2016 Emily S

Jonas was great and everyone loved the music! I would not have asked for him to do anything differently. I have very high standards - especially for my wedding - and I had zero complaints. I was very prescriptive with the songs I wanted played and during which times and he did... Read More phenomenally well. He did what I asked, took my direction and was flexible with the timing of the day. I will most certainly recommend

Reviewed on 10/13/2016 Sara K

No Macarena was great! We had our wedding on 9/24/16. Jonas was our DJ and he was very professional. We sent him a list of songs we wanted to hear and we also had a call with him a week before the wedding to make sure we were all on the same page. Everything went smoothly and we... Read More had numerous people tell us that the music was phenomenal! And you cant beat the price. I highly recommend them. Also, Kim was very easy to work with and very responsive when we were booking them.

Reviewed on 10/08/2016 Angela P

DJ Dave did a great job. All the timed music for ceremony and introductions went off with out a hitch. The mics for the ceremony were easy to use and all the spoken parts were heard very clearly. Our guests had a great time!

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Naomi M

I was honestly sold on No Macarena the minute I saw the name (I'm not one for dances with directions like the Macarena or YMCA), and I'm so happy I went with my first instinct on this. Kim responded quickly and clearly to any and all questions, and our DJ Dave Beck knocked it... Read More out of the park. I left most of the actual song selection up to him, beyond the obvious no-play list, and he did an amazing job of reading the crowd and playing music that got people dancing all night long! Dave was really instrumental in creating the party vibe we were hoping for. I really can't recommend No Macarena enough!

Reviewed on 8/26/2016 Kari R

Josh did an amazing job! Before the wedding, he helped us with ideas for how to make the reception events run really smoothly. He played everything we asked for and also paced the evening really well - everything was perfectly timed. We have gotten so many compliments on how... Read More great the music was, from the pre-ceremony time to dinner to the dance party. The dance floor was literally packed all night! We couldn't have asked for a better experience, thanks!

Reviewed on 8/25/2016

No Macarena was exceptional and I recommend them to everyone and anyone. Their DJ was professional with great people skills/customer service skills. I have no complaint other than I wish my wedding was longer to enjoy the music and dance! Also- the price is just right!

Reviewed on 7/25/2016 Devon S

DJ Darrel did an amazing job at our wedding! People were up and dancing before the salads were served, and stayed up until the last song of the night. Thanks to No Macarena for making our wedding the party we were looking for.

Kim Alexander

I’ve been a DJ my entire career. In my radio days, I was afternoon DJ & Program Director at Philly's WXPN, home of the World Café. I started “No Macarena” in 1998 and have been in the wedding business ever since. I love what I do. I get to DJ and make people happy on one of the biggest days of their life. Other things I like: singing with the band Hank’s Cadillac, biking the Schuylkill River Trail and trolling BuzzFeed for dinner ideas. I’m finally learning to play piano. Maybe one day I’ll be good enough to play your cocktail hour, but not yet!