Ohio Statehouse

Columbus, OH

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Few Columbus venues have the majesty and historic impact of the Ohio Statehouse. As a flawless example of Greek Revival architecture, the statehouse is an ideal choice for both an elegant vintage wedding and a modern wedding ceremony. Guests immediate appreciate the unique beauty of the statehouse as they walk through the colonnade into the sun-filled atrium lined with graceful columns.

Ceremonies are conducted in the stunning black and white tiled Rotunda, with its domed ceiling and elaborate molding, arches and columns. Guests are arranged in a circle and the bride makes a dramatic entrance as she descends the massive stone staircase with its ornate balustrade before walking down the aisle. This regal, cavernous space has plenty of room for a string quartet or other live music options.

Receptions take place in the Atrium, which is especially romantic at night when stars are visible through the glass-paned ceiling. Statehouse staff arrange round banquet tables and rectangular wedding party tables around the center space, which can be used for dancing. This regal venue is truly one of a kind and the perfect backdrop for exquisite wedding photos.

The statehouse can be rented for ceremonies only, receptions only or both. There is only one wedding scheduled per day. The number of available days is limited, so couples are encouraged to book well in advance.

All ceremonies and reception packages include:

• One hour for rehearsal the night before
  • Two hours set-up time and one hour take-down time
  • White padded chairs and tables
  • Ivory podium and structure for ceremony
  • Services of the wedding planner
  • Space for catering equipment
  • Sound system and microphones
  • Platform risers
  • Projector, screens and other A/V equipment
  • Staff for set-up and tear-down

A photography permit is required before any photos can be taken of the event; applications are due 90 days prior to the event. Catering must be provided by an approved vendor and there is only one vendor permitted to provide alcoholic beverages. If additional tables, chairs or other similar items are necessary beyond the inventory, they must be rented from an approved vendor.

There is a single all-inclusive fee for the ceremony package and for the reception package. Couples who wish to hold their Columbus wedding at the Ohio Statehouse must submit an application for a wedding permit along with a 10 percent deposit before their request will be considered. Couples need an approved application and permit before they can contact the vendors approved by staff.

Because of the strict guidelines and requirements for using the Ohio Statehouse for a wedding venue, all ceremony and reception packages are identical and cannot be altered. However, some perks include:

• The Statehouse Gift Shop with a wide variety of memorable gift items
  • Event security by state highway patrol
  • Free use of the State Room and the Ladies Gallery

A Historical Downtown Location

The Ohio Statehouse, with its obvious grandeur, is available to serve as your perfect wedding location – an experience that will be unparalleled. The Ohio Statehouse is available for your ceremony, reception or both!

Museum, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

1 Capitol Square, Columbus, OH (614) 752-9777

Reviewed on 8/09/2016 Lindsay R

We had our wedding reception at the Ohio Statehouse in June of 2016, and I honestly could not have asked for a better venue or experience throughout the entire planning process and the wedding day itself. The Statehouse is absolutely GORGEOUS, so not much needed to be done to... Read More the space to really impress our guests. Cocktail hour was hosted in the rotunda and the reception was in the atrium; both spaces are unique yet extremely beautiful and grand. Our guests were impressed from the start! I could go on and on about the venue itself and how truly impressive it is, but what really made it special was working with Sophie, the Statehouse's wedding coordinator. She was ALWAYS so quick to respond to all of my emails (and there were a lot) and was always so patient, kind, understanding, and thorough with her responses. There is literally no need to hire your own wedding planner because Sophie is that good. Sophie made sure to contact all of our other vendors prior to our wedding so my husband and I didn't need to worry about a thing that day. Because of Sophie, all of our vendors worked extremely well together, making our entire reception extremely seamless for my husband, myself, and our guests. There are truly not enough positive things I can say about the Ohio Statehouse or Sophie. I've been to my fair share of weddings, and the Statehouse is by far the best venue in Columbus... Heart of downtown, unique, and breathtakingly beautiful. What more could you want?!

Reviewed on 6/24/2016 Kelly B

Words can't describe the amazing experience we had at The Ohio Statehouse for our wedding. We couldn't give a stronger recommendation to have your wedding here! The planning process was so smooth with Sophie, the Wedding & Special Events Coordinator at The Statehouse. We met her... Read More and toured, and instantly knew we loved the venue and all that came with. The Rotunda is so grand for a ceremony, and the options for cocktail hour (both outside and inside) are beautiful. And who could ask for a better reception hall than the Atrium, where the marble and pillars are SO stunning. It has the perfect amount of space/capacity for medium to large weddings. You don't need a ton of decor because the building speaks for itself! We held multiple meetings leading into the wedding (a 90 day and 30 day, plus countless email in between), where we were always so impressed with how smooth the process went. Sophie was so accommodating, paid attention to every detail, and gave us great advice when we asked and needed it! You are in great hands! When you do tour the Statehouse, keep in mind that- while there is a fee to rent the venue there is no service charge on the back end, so when all is said and done, the rental charge essentially cancels out-- because at any other venue you are paying 20-25% on the back end(and you don't even know where it goes!). Again, we can't express enough how much the venue meant to us and truly made our day. Gorgeous! DO IT!

Reviewed on 11/02/2015 Rachel A

Sophisticated, Glamorous and Extremely Exclusive Venue and Wonderful Staff! After seeing around 8 other venues in the downtown area I thought we were ready to chose our location. I just wasn't 100% in love with anything we saw but knew they were nice. I was on the internet... Read More searching for "unique wedding videos downtown Columbus" when a vimeo for a couple married at the Statehouse appeared. As I watched the video I said to my fiancé if this place looks anything in person as it does in the video then we have found our place! The next morning we went to the Statehouse and as soon as we walked in we knew this was it! It is very exclusive to have your wedding at the Statehouse. You are guaranteed to have some gorgeous wedding photos taken inside and around the grounds. My walk down the isle was very dramatic and special as I started at the top of the beautiful staircase and made my way down to the Rotunda. All of this was possible due to the amazing Sophie Chase. She is one of the best wedding events coordinators that I have ever worked with and I actually work in the industry. She was knowledgeable about everything and extremely helpful with executing all of the details. We had a lot of moving parts since we had the ceremony, cocktail hour and the reception there. My business even provided 2 dessert tables with she helped manage seamlessly. The Statehouse is so luck to have such and kind, professional and dedicated employee. If you chose to have your wedding at The Ohio Statehouse not only will it be the best day of your life but you will surely WOW all of your guest with this stunning and intense historical building.

Reviewed on 1/28/2017 Ann S

RUN, don't walk, to book your reception at the Statehouse!!! We were searching high and low for the best reception spot. We had no idea the Statehoue was an option. A wedding planner I interviewed mentioned it offhand and one day my then fiancé and I were driving by and decided... Read More I stop in on a whim. The second we were inside we knew it was the spot. They were super easy to work with to go through all details. If you don't have a wedding planner, they will basically provide that service for you, we had happy hour in the Rotunda which is amazing. We used their chairs which were included in the price to save $$. For a very small fee, we were able to offer our guests tours in between the wedding and the reception. The space was just awesome. And what a great location the atrium is for the party. The tall ceilings make for a glamorous look. There are also so many amazing photo opportunities. Take a climb up to ybr top of the cupola with your new husband, stand overhead with your wedding party and get great pictures on the grand staircase. The steps outside the statehouse are also to die for. All of our guests were enamored by it and still talk about the wedding whenever they drive by! HIGHLY RECOMMEND

Reviewed on 10/20/2016 Sarah K

Simply put, the Ohio Statehouse is stunning. Everything about our wedding day was just perfect and more than we could have ever asked for. We got married on September 10th and had the most memorable wedding experience thanks to so many of our vendors and especially the Ohio... Read More Statehouse and Sophie. I can't believe it has already been over a month since our special day, but there is not a day that goes by that we don't think about an additional detail that made up our prefect day. We had both our ceremony and reception at the Statehouse and fell in love with the venue from the moment we saw it. Most of our family was from out of state/town and we wanted to truly showcase Columbus! The Statehouse was the first venue we looked at and fell in love. We looked at two others after the Statehouse, just to be sure and we knew the Statehouse was for us. It is a classic, stunning downtown venue that most don't seem to know about yet! It has character, history and elegance that is timeless. Along with the beautiful venue, the staff (specifically Sophie) was incredible! Sophie was beyond helpful during the entire process - she accommodated our every need and gave us all that we could ask for. Sophie was honest, genuine, kind, thoughtful, talented, detail-oriented and truly had our vision in mind. She was just a great person to get to know though all of this. Both Kyle and I would highly recommend the Ohio Statehouse - it was the most incredible day filled with love that we will hold close to our hearts forever. Thank you, Sophie! We couldn't have asked for a better experience!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Andrea R

We just got married Oct. 1st and the statehouse was more amazing than we could have dreamed. First off, you cannot beat the beauty of the building. My husband loved the history and I could not get over the gorgeous space. Then there is Sophie. I can not brag enough about how... Read More amazing she was throughout the whole process. I told everyone she was my wedding planner. :) Sophie is the Statehouse coordinator who was on top of every detail. I needed a lot of help in making decisions and she helped me in a way that did not stress me out (which happens a lot when wedding planning). Sophie helped coordinate with all of our vendors, making sure they knew exactly what to do and when. She organized the meetings and sent us detailed lists each time. I love when people are organized, and Sophie is on it! Picking a venue is hard, but you truly can not go wrong with the Statehouse. Our reception was perfect!!

Reviewed on 9/30/2016 Patty D

My husband and I were married in August, and had our wedding reception at the Ohio Statehouse. I can't believe that it's already been over a month now and that I'm just now sitting down to write this review. Simply put, it was the most magical day of my life and it's hard to... Read More know where to begin to express my gratitude for that perfect day! Sophie is beyond talented at her job and I knew upon meeting her that she is passionate and caring with every single one of her couples. We booked the Statehouse 17 months out from our wedding date, and Sophie made us feel welcomed from day one! Through coffee and wedding planning dates, to the countless detailed emails and communication leading up to the wedding... It's hard to walk away from these 17 months and not feel like you've gained a friend. Our cocktail hour was in the Rotunda and reception in the Atrium room. Both were equally breathtaking and allowed for such a timeless and romantic night in such an impressively historic building. The night played out seamlessly, as Sophie never skipped a beat (even ran back to our hotel across the street to grab a letter that my husband forgot!) and she already built the best relationships with our other vendors. From our Scottish family wandering the halls of the Statehouse in their kilts and drinks in hand, to the beautiful decor and layout of the evening, to the endless dancing and party that no one wanted to end - it was perfect! Our family and friends are STILL calling us to reminisce stories and wanting to relive the unforgettable night. Thank you, Sophie!

Reviewed on 9/24/2016 Chrissy S

We absolutely loved spending our wedding day at the Ohio Statehouse! The building is gorgeous inside and out. We had a lot of out of town guests who loved having everything in one place, and they enjoyed getting to visit such a historical building. Sophie was an invaluable... Read More asset to the wedding planning process, from making vendor and decor recommendations, to ensuring we didn't worry about a single thing on the day of the wedding. Everything went perfectly, and we are still getting compliments from our guests about this amazing venue and how organized everything was.

Reviewed on 9/21/2016 Priya N

From the moment we stepped in for our tour to lights out at the reception, Sophie Chase was there! When making a decision about the venue we added her to our "pros for the statehouse" list and we're so glad we did! She is super organized, helpful and was loving to all of us. She... Read More thought of things that my family never would have and made sure the day ran smoothly from start to finish. Her high energy and heart for the business truly shows when working with us - we really couldn't be more greatful. We are so thankful for Sophie and her gift of event coordinating!! I would 100% recommend the gorgeous Ohio Statehouse and talented Sophie for your next event :)

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Lauren B

Our wedding at the Ohio Statehouse on July 30th 2016 was beyond my wildest dreams. I am originally from New York and moved to Ohio a little over 2 years ago so when someone suggested to me that I look at the Ohio Statehouse as a wedding venue I had my doubts. Those doubts... Read More quickly turned into excitement when I toured the building. I knew that I had to get married at this stunning venue that nothing in Columbus came close to. I loved working with their wedding coordinator Sophie. She is extremely professional, organized, and just an all around sweet and friendly person. All of our meetings went so smoothly before the wedding at the statehouse. We had a 90 day and a 30 day and Sophie was always available when we had any questions or concerns. When our wedding arrived our guests were blown away at how beautiful and unique our wedding venue was. I am so happy I chose to have my wedding at the statehouse and I recommend this venue to other brides who are looking for a place with historic ambience and proximity to downtown.

Reviewed on 7/22/2016 Ashley W

Our wedding day was incredible! I had the best day in what I believe to be one of the most beautiful places in Columbus, Ohio! The cocktail hour and reception were decorated immaculately. Every detail requested was executed perfectly. The entire night ran so smoothly, my husband... Read More and I , my bridal party, family and friends were so impressed with the professional staff and attention to detail. Sophie Chase, the wedding and special event coordinator was great to work with. She brought all of my ideas to life flawlessly. We could not have put on the wedding we did with out her skills! Thank you!

Reviewed on 6/19/2016 Stephanie B

I could go on for days about what an amazing venue the Statehouse is and how phenomenal the event coordinator, Sophie was! She was so organized and had great suggestions on what to do/what not to do. She went above and beyond the weekend of the wedding, even filling in for the... Read More officiant that couldn't make the rehearsal! Her positive attitude made me so calm the day of the wedding knowing that I couldn't trust her with everything. The day went off without a hitch and I owe it all to Sophie! The venues is so stunning that I would recommend it to anyone in a heartbeat!

Reviewed on 6/13/2016 Christina P

It was the perfect venue for us. We were so happy with how everything turned out. We could not have picked a more beautiful place to get married. Sophie was great to work with and kept us in line and on time! It was wonderful to be able to have one venue for ceremony and... Read More reception so we didn't need to worry about transportation to multiple venues.

Reviewed on 6/11/2016 Alexis T

WOW! The Statehouse was literally the most amazing place to have my wedding. One of the reasons I was originally drawn to the Statehouse was the uniqueness of it. I wanted to get married somewhere that was original. Sophie Chase was AMAZING. She was very organized and answered... Read More any questions I had. She was very responsive and hands on. She was willing to go the extra mile to help out. She is even ran back down to the room to get my veil and put it on my head before I walked down the aisle. I had my ceremony in the rotunda, cocktail hour in the museum gallery and the reception in the atrium. One of the coolest things about having your ceremony in the rotunda is you don’t have to have a traditional set up! My guests sat in a circle and we were married in the middle of it! We (bridal party & myself) also descended down the grand staircase to make our entrance! It was so cool, many guests commented on how neat and different our ceremony was. Cocktail was down stairs; it was neat place full of facts and information about Ohio. We also had tours of the Statehouse going on during this time. Our reception was awesome in the atrium. There was plenty of room for everyone to talk, dance and mingle! If I could get married every weekend at the Statehouse I would!

Beautiful. LOVED the Statehouse.

Reviewed on 1/23/2016 Kelsy N

I am SO grateful to have had the opportunity to host our guests at the Ohio Statehouse for our wedding. Sophie was incredible. She was organized, supportive, professional, creative, and walked the talked. She delivered every detail she promised - I don't think she ever said... Read More 'no' to a request from us or our guests. And the venue is incredible. We had our ceremony in the rotunda, cocktail hour in the museum, and reception in the Atrium - each piece was beautiful and unique. We received countless compliments on the space. It was also the perfect location for creative pictures. I am in meeting and events professionally, my expectations were high. I did not have to worry about ONE thing throughout the entire planning process. Sophie's report with our other vendors was also impressive. She partnered, but also lead the group so all pieces came together. Thank you Sophie! You made our wedding a wonderful, worry free memory :)

Reviewed on 12/19/2015 Anna P

Fantastic venue!

Reviewed on 10/13/2015

The Statehouse is one of the best kept secrets in Columbus for special events. And, believe it or not, it's one of the most reasonably priced venues downtown. We had our 200+ person wedding reception there and it was fantastic (cocktails in the Rotunda and plated dinner in the... Read More Atrium). Outside of the obviously gorgeous setting, one of the best things about the Statehouse is the partnership that they have with Milo's Catering, which operates the on-site cafeteria. The combination is a sure hit. Another bonus is the built-in wedding coordinator who is there for you every step of the way. We worked with Sophie, who was wonderful and went above and beyond day-of. She gathered all of our cards and gifts, worked with the catering staff to pack up our centerpieces and made sure that we didn't have to lift a finger.

Reviewed on 9/01/2015 Whitney H

Our wedding at The Ohio Statehouse in August 2015 was perfect. This is such a wonderful venue that truly "wows" guests and provides a stunning atmosphere that hardly needs any decor. Sophie was a delight to work with and helped everything run smoothly throughout the entire... Read More planning process. I would highly recommend having your wedding reception at The Ohio Statehouse. It is a dream come true to get married in such a gorgeous venue.

Reviewed on 7/29/2015 Jaclyn H

We had our wedding reception at the Ohio Statehouse in June, 2015, and I couldn't be more pleased with the day. Sophie and the Statehouse staff were absolutely amazing during the planning phase, making sure all of the details were taken care of and they were so committed to... Read More making sure that our guests had the best possible day. Our brunch wedding in the Rotunda and the Atrium was breathtakingly beautiful and so well executed. I would recommend it to ANYONE who wants to plan a wedding there. They are the utmost professionals and the space is amazing.

Mrs.D

Reviewed on 7/16/2014 Caitlin D

Absolutly beautiful, everything was perfect!

Outstanding Venue

Reviewed on 6/25/2014 Catherine S

We used The Ohio Statehouse for our May wedding. It was absolutely fantastic! If you are looking for a place to have stunning pictures, this is the place for you. The grandeur and history of this building can’t be beat. The staff at the Ohio Statehouse was wonderful and very... Read More easy to work with. Amanda, the wedding coordinator, will guide you through your planning process. She knows the ins and outs of the building and rules and regulations. I could not say enough positive things about her work ethic and personality. We had multiple meetings with her and the caterer and she always kept the meeting on track and offered ideas for the big day. She was there the entire time on the wedding day and made sure every detail was attended to. Our 2 favorite features, besides the staff and building, was the covered parking garage underneath the building and state troopers they provided. We could not be happier with our pictures from the Ohio Statehouse. It’s the perfect place to have a Columbus wedding.

My wedding at the Statehouse

Reviewed on 5/27/2014 Caroline C

The Statehouse was amazing. the location and venue itself are breathtaking. the staff was extremely helpful; Amanda was the coordinator. she was there every step of the way and really made the day run smoothly.

Stunning Venue

Reviewed on 5/06/2014 Rachel W

The Ohio Statehouse is unlike any venue in Ohio... every inch of it is stunning and filled with history. My guests enjoyed a tour of the Statehouse after our ceremony and before the reception. We used the gorgeous Rotunda for cocktail hour and hosted the reception in the... Read More Atrium. The staff was great and we had a perfect reception there with pictures outside on the grounds. A few negatives: There are a ton of rules with the Statehouse, and loading in and out isn't easy for vendors. Also, I had THREE day of coordinators during my wedding process. One that I had been working with for months leading up to my wedding told me a week before she wasn't going to be able to make my wedding. This caused SO much undue stress the week before my wedding, and isn't what I expected after the hefty fee paid for just using the building. I would of course book the Statehouse again, I think it's the most beautiful building for a wedding in Ohio, I just wish they could get staffing under control!

Beautiful venue

Reviewed on 9/17/2013 Sundus B

The statehouse is beautiful but very costly.

Drop-dead gorgeous

Reviewed on 7/07/2013 Brittany K

We had just our ceremony here -- and it was perfect. Got SO many comments from people who didn't know you could have a wedding at the Statehouse & were wowed. Loved the setting and the chance to take photos all over the grounds (which many couples pay to do on their big day... Read More anyway). Sherri was great to work with. We offered tours of the building to our guests after the ceremony, and many took advantage.