Onteora, The Mountain House

Boiceville, NY

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The Onteora Mountain House is both a bed-and-breakfast and one of the premier wedding locations in the Catskill Mountains. Located in Boiceville, New York, eight miles form the famous town of Woodstock and approximately two hours from New York City, The Onteora Mountain House was the summer home of Richard Hellman of mayonnaise fame. The house is set on a ridge in a 250-acre mountain preserve overlooking the Esopus Valley. There are two main wedding venues are offered at The Onteora Mountain House.

The Great Room of the home has a beautiful chancel ceiling and an imposing stone fireplace. The Great Room measures 40-by-20 feet and has large windows that capture the view of the valley below and surrounding ridges.

The Outdoor Covered Dining Deck is a 40-foot dining deck that wraps around the Great Room and provides stunning views of the mountains and valley. The deck is set with Adirondack-style furnishings and uses rustic log supports as the foundation for the deck.

The Great Room and The Dining Deck are offered together as a package. A covered pavilion is also included in the package. The minimum guest limit is 100 and the maximum recommended guest limit for the home and its venues is 200 guests.

Other smaller sites on the property would be ideal for an intimate ceremony including a charming twig gazebo, a terrace and a balcony. A lower-level game room offers a site for guests to lounge and relax. Paths wander throughout the estate providing beautiful backdrops for wedding photos.

Two basic wedding packages exist at The Onteora Mountain House: the Saturday Package and the Sunday Package. Catering services including food, alcohol, equipment and staff, for both of the wedding packages is provided by the venue. The bride and groom provide a wedding manager, floral arrangements, band or DJ, decor for tables and a photographer.

The Saturday Wedding Package consists of time from Friday afternoon until Sunday Afternoon. The entire house with seven bedrooms is included in this option. This wedding and reception package requires a minimum of 100 guests and comes with a six-hour block of time on Saturday. Breakfast is included on both Saturday and Sunday mornings.

The Sunday Wedding Package is similar in content to the Saturday option, except for time. The estate belongs to the couple from 1 p.m. on Sunday for a six-hour time block. Room reservations for the evening may be arranged as required. The bridal suite is included for the day. The minimum count for this option is 80 guests.

If the couple has additional family or guests that require overnight accommodations, several bed-and-breakfast houses are available in the area. Weekday weddings are a possibility, however, no weddings are scheduled on Fridays. Only one wedding at a time is held at the estate. The Onteora Mountain House hosts weddings from May through October.

Of special note at The Onteora Mountain House are the following:

• A sauna is included
  • A professional pool table is in the game room
  • A koi pond is located on the grounds
  • Woodstock offers entertainment options
  • Nearby golf courses
  • Farmers' markets are within easy access

Mountain

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

96 Piney Point Rd., Boiceville, NY (845) 657-6233

My dream wedding in the woods!

Reviewed on 8/08/2013 jesika h

Onteora Mountain House was a dream location for my husband and I. Not only are they extremely professional and buttoned up but the place is absolutely gorgeous! It's pricy but they are so lovely to work with and it's a wonderful place to stay for a wedding weekend. You can't... Read More go wrong if you love nature and want a spectacular location for your wedding.

People are still talking about it.....

Reviewed on 1/09/2013 Caroline B

My husband & I were married at the Onteora Mountain House in Sept. 2012 and it was an amazing time. It's been over 3 months and guests are still sending me messages about how beautiful it was. The views of the mountains are breath taking, the pavilion was beautiful and perfect... Read More for our reception. Our entire wedding experience was not only gorgeous & amazing, but completely painless. The staff really know how to run a wedding. It really was a perfect day. Jeremy, who assisted Bob, the owner, took care of us the whole weekend. He helped us set up, helped put together all my little DYI projects on Friday, and had us packed up and cleaned up the next day. It was such an amazing surprise to see all of our stuff so neatly packed up. Everyone was so cooperative and helpful every step of the way. It really was a joy to be in the care of such professionals. Between the staff and the mountains, I was the most relaxed morning of bride. I highly recommend Onteora Mountain house whether you are looking for a wedding venue or a weekend getaway

Exceeded my expectations

Reviewed on 7/19/2012 Sarah G

I got married at the end of June 2012 at Onteora. Bob and Jeremy are serious professionals who ensured the whole thing went off without a hitch. The place is so gorgeous and the venue is incredibly well run. I heard from many guests that it was the best wedding they've ever been... Read More to. Throughout the planning process, Bob and Jeremy were quite good and responsive to my requests. We met with them three separate times (once to see the venue, once for the tasting, and once for the final meeting to discuss the final details). One thing to note: if you use this place, you most likely will need to hire buses. You will need to provide this logistical information to your guests - I'd recommend including that information in the invitations. We used Tonche Transit who were accomodating and fun (I have pictures of the singalong on the bus on the way home from the after party to prove it!). We started the weekend on Friday with the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner held on site. Despite my large and slightly unruly wedding party, Bob made sure everyone knew what to do and when to do it. The dinner was catered by Hickory Smokehouse and was delicious (especially the blackened catfish). On Saturday, Jeremy worked to make sure everything was coming together smoothly. We brought in hair stylists and got ready in the cottage. Jeremy and Bob coordinated with our vendors who were setting up while we got ready. Throughout the night, Bob and Jeremy worked to make sure all key events happened at the agreed upon times, and that we were present. (I was so excited, more than once Bob had to remind me that something was happening and I needed to return to my seat or the dance floor). We extended the party by an hour which was totally worth it. The food was excellent. Even though we did first look photos, we missed most of the cocktail hour. I'd recommend asking someone to make a plate for the bride and groom - both for appetizers and entrees. I didn't have one bite of either entree because I was so busy. We did hear that the entrees were out of this world from guests who raved about their dinners. We used the band Saints of Swing for the cocktail hour and first dance (very classy!), and then transitioned to Dave Leonard of JTD Productions (another seriously awesome professional who kept the dance floor jumping). Flowers were done by Dennis at the Green Cottage (beautiful) and photos by Kim Coccagnia (which are gorgeous!). All of our vendors worked together really well, which we appreciated. I would not have changed a thing.

Reviewed on 10/26/2016 Sandi D

We had the wedding of our dreams at Onteora Mountain House. We wanted a place that was different from your typical ballroom and reflective of my husband and I. Onteora just speaks for itself. The view is unlike any other! Bob is a bit quirky but good at responding quickly to... Read More emails. Jeremy is the best! He was so helpful for anything that we needed for our wedding weekend. They make a great team. They have a lot of experience doing weddings at Onteora and are very organized. We were not the only ones that were blown away by how great things were, many of our guests said it was one of the best weddings they had ever been to! The guest rooms were gorgeous our family loved staying at Onteora for the weekend. The food through Blue Mountain Bistro was delicious.

Wedding in the Catskill Mountains

Reviewed on 9/17/2015 Tia G

My husband and I had the most incredible wedding at Onteora Mountain House over Labor Day weekend this year. It was the first and only venue we visited, we were sold on the mountain views at first site. This location is absolutely breathtaking. The food was delicious, the... Read More ceremony backdrop is beautiful and the guest rooms in the mountain house and cottage are wonderful. Bob & Jeremy were very helpful and easy to work with throughout the planning process. On the day of, they took care of all decoration set up, coordinated with the vendors and made sure we didn't have to stress over anything. The venue is a little pricey, but completely worth it in the end. If you're looking for a woodsy, romantic wedding in the mountains, look no further.

Reviewed on 8/04/2015

I had my wedding at Onteora in the early summer of 2015. We chose Onteora because of the obvious natural beauty of the area—the stunning views are just incomparable. We were also encouraged by the fact that the facility provided a caterer and necessities such as tables/chairs... Read More set-up. Also, the rooms in the B&B were fantastic—it made us and our wedding party feel like we were on a vacation. We decided to have our rehearsal dinner at the house as well, which worked out really well. The owners helped direct the ceremony rehearsal and then cocktails/hors d’oevres were provided. We worked out a custom-made menu with the caterer (Bistro To Go, which also provided food for the wedding). We were very pleased with everything: The food was great and the table setup was perfect. The wedding day went very smoothly as well and we luckily had perfect weather. The breakfast that was served was delicious. My hair/makeup team was pretty slow-moving, so we were down to the wire to get the bridesmaids/mothers/myself ready in time, but the owners were very in tuned to our timeline and made sure to get everyone set to go as close to the start time as possible. The ceremony went perfectly without a hitch, and I’ve been told that the cocktail hour was enjoyable (we were taking photos with our wedding party at that time). We thought the reception was fantastic—lots of great music and dancing and chatting, it was a really, really fun experience overall. The owners were aware of how the evening was progressing and made sure to stick to a schedule for when the meal/cake was served and when the speeches took place. At one point we needed to adjust the volume of the music and the big fan, which was easily done. The staff was great and very accommodating. They set the tables just as we’d asked—even trimming sprigs of rosemary for each plate—and the card box/place cards were presented beautifully. There were a few details missed in the setup, however: For example, flowers were supposed to be in the bathrooms with lit candles; our rooms/beds were not tidied during our stay; the brunch was supposed to be held in the main house but was instead in the reception hall). The overall experience was extremely positive though I wish that the owners had been a little easier to work with. There was some tension in coming to agreements on certain details of the course of events and it became stressful at times. One example: We were not told that we needed to find out if our guests were eating beef or fish until after the invitations were sent out, so we had to scramble to find out peoples’ orders 3 weeks before the wedding. It seemed the caterer should have been able to provide enough of each, as we’ve experienced when attending other peoples’ weddings. But all in all, we would not hesitate to recommend the Onteora Mountain House for a wedding. It’s a beautiful venue and the owners/staff will be sure to give you the mountain wedding of your dreams!

Reviewed on 8/03/2015 Kiki T

Onteora is one of the most beautiful places on earth, and we still can't get over how gorgeous our wedding was. We got married during a light mist of rain, and the grounds took on a dreamy, intimate quality that made for gorgeous photos and cool, comfortable guests. We were... Read More so happy and busy that we forgot to eat, and the staff were kind enough to make us a plate of entrees. The appetizers, main course, cake and desserts were all superb - we haven't stopped thinking about it. Throughout the process, Bob and Jeremy were pleasures to work with. They are smart and dry-witted and relaxed because they know what they are doing. It was nice to be in such capable hands for the best day of our lives.

Reviewed on 8/03/2015 Kiki T

Reviewed on 7/20/2015 Gabbie S

What can I possibly add here that hasn't already been said? This venue is fantastic. Bob and Jeremy handled every hiccup and every detail with care and professionalism. I felt confident the whole way through the planning process that they would keep everything running smoothly.... Read More Even when it rained, they put the rain plan into motion seamlessly and I didn't worry for a moment. Putting my event in the hands of these gentlemen was the best wedding choice I made short of my groom.

TIME OF OUR LIVES..BEST WEDDING VENUE BY FAR

Reviewed on 10/20/2011 Jessica B

If you want the most amazing weekend of your life..RENT out Onteora Mountain House for the 3 days. Getting to stay with your family and friends in the mountain house all weekend and right after your reception is worth every dime. Jeremy is amazing as a host and Bob was great... Read More to work with the entire time. They are class all the way, something you can't put a price on these days. This venue is a bit expensive for some, but if you can make it work in your budget DO IT!! You will not be disappointed. Every detail from cocktail hour, through the reception was amazing. We did the Sunday brunch overlooking the beautiful mountain side and our guests could not stop commenting on what an amazing wedding we had. LOVED IT!!

Exceptional Location!!

Reviewed on 8/11/2011 Holly E

This is a very beautiful location - nestled in the Catskill Mountains. The outdoor wedding site is set against the background of the mountains and surrounded by huge pine trees. The reception pavillion is absolutely gorious too - a large wooden building that opens to the... Read More outdoors and the spectacular view also. We chose this location also because in case of rain, the wedding could be moved into the pavillion and still be spectacular! The food was great including the wedding cake. But most of all, the staff was incredible. They have done so many wedding here that they know exactly how it should all flow. They coordinated the rehearsal and the wedding with the professionalism of any experienced wedding coordinator! I can't say enough good things about this location!

A dream come true!

Reviewed on 11/18/2010 Simone K

Onteora was the most perfect place to have our wedding. I could not ask for anything more. We had the entire house for from 12noon Friday to 12 noon Sunday. This was a great thing because we had everything there. No one had to go down the mountain for anything. We had the... Read More rehearsal dinner there, the hair stylist came to my room, and we took pictures there. This made like so easy and simple. One place - done. The best was going to bed with a fireplace going one both nights and walking up to a wonderful view. It was completely surreal. I felt like a princess and onteora was my castle. Even if it was just 2 days. The breakfasts were excellent! Most of all Jeremy and Bob made it so easy and simple. We arrived, they took everything that was needed and it was all set for us the day of the wedding. Everything was seamless and perfect! I could not ask for a better backdrop for our wedding! We will visit every year on our anniversary. The work part was driving down the mountain to go back home. Thank you the most perfect wedding weekend I could have ever imagined!

AMAZING

Reviewed on 11/01/2010 Yasmine I

Onteora Mountain House is the most amazing place to have gotten married! I'm so happy that we could do it there - the backdrop of the mountain valley is unbelievable, and the managers made sure everything was perfect and elegant - it was absolutely the most amazing wedding that... Read More I could have ever imagined. SO beautiful!