Peabody Essex Museum

Salem, MA

Book Your Wedding with Peabody Essex Museum

A HISTORIC VENUE IN SALEM, MA

The Atrium. The Atrium dazzles with its arched glass ceiling and recessed lighting fixtures. Its interior finishing blends with the brick flooring to create a glamorous location for an intimate reception dinner. The grand nature of the atrium accommodates 125 to 300 guests for a seated dinner or up to 550 guests for a standing reception.

The Bartlett Gallery. Showcasing decorative Chinese porcelain and thus providing an artistic backdrop for the event, this gallery opens up to the Moongate patio in the Asian garden that can be used for serving drinks, cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. The Bartlett gallery has a capacity of 80 guests for plated meals or 200 guests for a cocktail reception.

The East India Marine Hall. Distinguished by its arched, floor to ceiling windows, gleaming wooden floors and beautiful artwork, this space’s interior decor offers a gorgeous backdrop for any ceremony or reception. The East India Marine Hall can comfortably accommodate 350 guests for a ceremony and 220 for a seated dinner.

At Peabody Essex Museum, all foods and beverages must be provided by the venue’s exclusive caterers. Couples are advised to make early selection of menu details for adequate planning and special considerations. On the other hand, the venue has a licensed liquor supplier who holds a liquor liability insurance, and couples are not permitted to bring their own alcoholic drinks to the venue.

Peabody Essex Museum prohibits the use of rose petals, glitters, confetti, live trees and candles with open flames. In addition, the venue does not allow chocolate fountains, ice cream bars or chocolate-covered strawberries in its indoor spaces.

As a result of ongoing renovations, exhibitions and other activities; the museums art exhibits may be changed, removed or added to the event spaces. However, guests, vendors or couples are not permitted to alter or move any piece of exhibition.

The venue provides linen-covered tables and folding chairs for the Atrium, East India Marine Hall and Bartlett Gallery. Couples can rent upgraded chairs and tents through the venue.

Peabody Essex Museum has friendly staff who cooperate with the vendors and personal event planners to ensure that everything flows smoothly on the day of the event. The venue’s event facilitator oversees the setup and after-ceremony cleanup services.

As an added bonus, couples can upgrade their wedding package to include access to two of the adjacent galleries, giving them and their guests time to browse through its renowned art collections. In addition, access to special exhibitions may be available upon request, or for a real treat, couples can purchase museum passes for all of their guests, allowing them to visit the museum anytime during regular opening hours.

distinctive| elegant | unforgettable

From a breathtaking glass Atrium to stunning halls, galleries, historic spaces and scenic gardens, the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Mass., offers unique settings ideal for your wedding.

Museum

Planning, Rentals + Equipment

161 Essex Street, Salem, MA (978) 542-1615

Reviewed on 12/29/2016 Claudia C

My daughter and her husband had their wedding at the Peabody Essex Museum in January of 2016. Although the weather outside was dreadful, the wedding and reception went without a hitch! Natalia Laskaris and her team went above and beyond their duties to have a perfectly... Read More coordinated event! The venue is spectacular to the point that it almost doesn’t need any decorations. It elevates any reception to the highest level The couple only had special lighting as decor and the place looked sophisticated and classy. The dancing space is plentiful. I highly recommend the Peabody Essex Museum to any couple looking for their perfect place!

Reviewed on 12/29/2016 Claudia C

Reviewed on 12/12/2016 Jill M

My husband and I had our reception at the PEM in December 2016, and we couldn't be more thrilled with the entire experience. From the moment we toured the facility, through every planning meeting, email and phone call, it was clear that we were in excellent hands throughout the... Read More planning process. Natalia was simply incredible in helping us prepare for our big day. She couldn't be more pleasant, calming, and knowledgeable with all aspects of planning and execution. The reception went off without a hitch, and we owe that largely in part to Natalia's amazing efforts and expertise as well as her staff's incomparable level of hospitality. Our guests were absolutely floored with the venue and the compliments haven't stopped! The atrium of the museum offers an unforgettable, unique atmosphere that promises to impress. In addition, it’s located conveniently in downtown Salem which offers a wide array of restaurants, shops, and tourist activities for your guests! This place simply cannot be beat!!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Kate L

My husband Dave and I got married at the Peabody Essex Museum in July, and we are still hearing feedback from our guests about how stunning it was! We are confident that the beautiful museum played the biggest role in how highly our family and friends regarded the experience! We... Read More took about 15 months to plan our wedding, and Natalia was with us the whole way. She made it a seamless, special and personal experience from our first conversation, allowing us to share my vision and helping us see it to fruition. The staff was very accommodating, friendly, and supportive. We wouldn't change a thing!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Meghan Z

The BEST! The event coordinator, Natalia, could not have made the process more organized, accomadating, and fun. Such a gorgeous, unique venue for our October wedding!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 David S

My wife and I got married this past August and had our reception at PEM. I want to start by saying working Natalia was an absolute pleasure ! She is truly a professional and made me and my wife very comfortable from the start. We couldn't have been happier with the service.... Read More PEM itself is the perfect place for a wedding, it's truly one of a kind. All of our guests were blown away. Not to mention the service and food was incredible!!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Maria S

The Peabody Essex Museum was the first venue my hushand and I looked at and nothing else compared. The venue itself is stunning and coordinator Natalia Laskaris is amazing! Thank you Natalia and PEM staff for making my dream wedding come true!

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Jayne C

The venue is stunning and the staff is exceptional. My wedding was what dreams are made of.

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Tory S

We got married at the PEM last December and I have nothing but the most wonderful things to say about the entire experience. The wedding venue was an absolute highlight for our guests -- especially those from out of town. I couldn't have asked for a more capable, kind, and... Read More thorough contact in Natalia. We chose to host the cocktail reception in the East India Marine Hall and the dinner and dancing in the Atrium. It was spectacular. For some background, I work in national and international event production and I knew going into the process of planning a wedding that I would want the absolute best and demand perfection. That is exactly what I got with the PEM and Natalia and I give them 5 stars... 10 if I could... believe me, you won't be disappointed on one of the most memorable days of your life.

Reviewed on 10/28/2016 Elise M

Natalia and her staff at the PEM are amazing. Not only was it absolutely stress-free, we felt like VIPs. We have had many guests tell us it was one of the best, most fun weddings they have ever been to. If you are considering the PEM, do it - you will not regret it.

Reviewed on 10/22/2016

Natalia Laskaris, Manager of Private Functions & Rentals at the Peabody Essex Museum is a class act and was a pleasure to work with. She has the wisdom and imagination to make any event perfect.

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Nina D

My husband and I had our cocktail hour in the atrium spine and our reception in the atrium. The Museum is the first place we looked at and were immediately in love with it. It makes for such a unique venue and all of our guests loved the location. Natalia Laskaris is the event... Read More coordinator and she is simply amazing, wonderful, and a delight to work with. Natalia is extremely kind and very responsive. She will spend as much time with you as you need. We used the Hawthorne as our caterer and they really work seamlessly together. Natalia and Laura from the Hawthorne were always one step ahead of me and did everything to make sure our day was just how we wanted it. I highly recommend the Peabody Essex Museum to anyone looking for a unique wedding venue in an awesome location!

Reviewed on 9/19/2016 Alexandra B

My husband and I held our cocktail hour and reception at the Peabody Essex museum. It was so amazing! Natalia was so easy to work with and she did a great job making sure everything was how we imagined and discussed! The venue itself is STUNNING! Talk about a serious wow factor,... Read More and you can have as much fun as you'd like with the up lighting! The charm of Salem combined with the unique atrium of the museum, you will definitely leave your guests with a lasting impression! Amazing, amazing! We will be suggesting the Peabody Essex Museum to friends/family members that are getting married on the North Shore, hands down. Love it!

Reviewed on 9/14/2016

My husband and I couldn’t be more pleased with our decision to have our wedding at the Peabody Essex Museum! We checked out a few different venues but upon walking into the museum, I knew instantly that this was the place - just a very unique space, with great lighting, and a... Read More lot of character. And then we met Natalia (who manages private functions for the museum) and she is just one of the most delightful people I have ever met. I honestly can’t say enough great things about her. Planning and figuring out all the details was not my forte but she was super helpful – answering emails promptly at all hours of the day, putting me at ease, and just there for anything I needed. I told my husband that if she wasn’t already going to be there, I would have wanted to invite her to our wedding! As for the actual wedding day, the museum looked amazing. The lighting in the Atrium was awesome and the dance floor was spacious. So many guests came up to us and commented on how incredible our venue was. We also had access to the Intersections Room and Spiral Staircase for pictures which was just an amazing backdrop and provided us some unique and breath-taking pictures. It was simply perfect! We just loved our wedding! Thanks again to Natalia and PEM!

Reviewed on 8/08/2016 Jennifer D

We don’t even know where to begin when explaining just how amazing the museum and Natalia were throughout the planning process, ending in what could only be described as our picture perfect wedding day. From the moment we first stepped in the museum at our initial visit, we knew... Read More it was the spot for our June reception. Once we met Natalia, any possible doubts were erased. Natalia is one of those amazing types of people who just set you at ease the minute you meet her, and our appreciation of Natalia only grew as time went on. She is a calming presence, and always made us feel like we were her top priority; even with all the couples she works with throughout the year! We had boxes upon boxes of reception details (not that they were needed with the beautiful backdrop of the museum!) and Natalia and team made sure it all went off without a hitch. Every single detail was carried out to perfection, which meant a lot to this detail-oriented perfectionist bride! From the rooms (East India for cocktail, atrium for dinner and dancing), to the lighting, to the staff, everything was just amazing. Natalia even made sure to extend our cocktail hour so we could get some amazing photos in the museum. Our guests raved about the unique venue, and we will always have such wonderful memories of our wedding night. We also have to extend a shout out to Jenn, who stuck around for the whole reception and made sure everything continued to run smoothly; she was organized, professional, and so much fun! If you are considering PEM for your wedding, or just poking around for a unique venue, don’t hesitate! Email Natalia, schedule a visit, and we are sure you will fall in love just as we did! We would not change a thing about our day, and Natalia and everyone at PEM are a huge reason for that. Thank you ALL again for everything, it was a night we will never forget! And a special thank you to Natalia for always being so graceful when working with my opinionated family :)

Best Day Ever - Nailed It!

Reviewed on 11/23/2015

We looked as several museums and libraries in the greater Boston area, but when we walked into the Peabody Essex Museum, my fiance and I looked at each other and said YES at the same time. Not only is the PEM a beautiful space and an amazing musuem, but their wedding... Read More coordinator, Natalia, and her PEM colleagues were immensely helpful. We felt that our thoughts were heard, ideas were offered, communication was easy, and the PEM made it easier for us to create our special day. Enter our wedding day - it could not have been more perfect. We were married in the East India Marine Hall, cocktail hour was in the atrium spine, and our reception was in the atrium. Every detail had been mapped out to maximize flow of people and attention, and time for food, dancing, visiting, and special moments. Our guests had a wonderful time because the PEM took such great care to make it awesome - and everyone commented that the wedding was so "us". We used the Hawthorne Hotel Caterers who worked seamlessly with the PEM, and the food was fabulous. What an amazing staff they have, too! I cannot recommend this venue enough - for both ceremony and reception. The best part is that when you have a wedding at the PEM, you have to become a member ($100 well spent!). We've already attended special events as members, and since the wedding we've been recognized and congratulated by several of the PEM staff. It feels like "our" museum in a way, in that we created a wonderful set of memories and get to walk back through them together every time we visit. You can't go wrong with the PEM. Love you guys!

Highly Recommend!

Reviewed on 10/30/2015

Hosted a fabulous event at the PEM and had a great experience working with Natalia. It’s an amazingly unique venue and the staff made planning our event so easy. Our guests raved about the location and every detail that was handled to perfection. Its also a great value and... Read More they work with terrific vendors. Highly recommend!

Wonderful night at the Museum

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Jen C

When searching for a wedding venue, my (now) husband and I knew we wanted a location that was unique. We had visited Salem previously and loved the city. It was not too far away from Boston, and provided out of town guests a nice weekend away. Also, we were both huge art... Read More fans, having got engaged at another art museum. Holding our wedding at the Peabody Essex Museum was a no brainer. The venue is truly stunning. We had our ceremony, cocktails, and reception all the museum. The ceremony was in the Atrium, cocktails in the Bartlett & Copeland galleries, and the reception in the East India Marine Hall. Each space flowed very well into the other. In addition to the beautiful location, the staff at the Peabody Essex Museum were fantastic. Natalia was great to work with. She was always available for questions, as well as multiple site visits with various family members. Also, we worked with the in-house caterer, Hawthorne Catering. Working with both the Hawthorne and the Peabody Essex Museum, made planning effortless. These two team up so well together, as the bride, I didn’t have to worry about the details. They are a class A act. Thank you to Natalia and the Peabody Essex Museum, for making our wedding a truly memorable amazing event. I couldn’t of dreamed of anything better!

Vision to reality? Check.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Emily E

While we only utilized the PEM for the ceremony venue, and that was outside, Natalia and the PEM staff were fantastic in helping to turn our vision into a reality. The experience was completely positive... and included help at 8:30 in the morning on the day of the ceremony... Read More wiping the newly fallen rain of the chairs that had just been set up. Natalia's calm and positive presence, and her effective collaboration with our other vendors, was a critical component to allowing us to simply enjoy the celebration.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Imma M

My husband and I celebrated our wedding ceremony (in the East Indian Marine Hall) and our cocktail/reception (Atrium Spine/Atrium) at the Peabody Essex Museum . The event coordinator Natalia Laskaris, and the stellar PEM staff were an absolute pleasure to work with. Natalia... Read More was so approachable and helpful. She solved any issue we had in a prompt and professional manner, and the PEM and Hawthorne Catering staff together made our dream wedding a reality.

July wedding in Salem

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Kate M

My husband and I had a wonderful wedding at the PEM this summer. Natalia couldn't have been more accommodating or easy to work with. We planned our wedding from the west coast, and she made it feel like we were planning it from just down the road. She was so knowledgeable... Read More about local vendors, and seamlessly brought our day together. I would recommend the PEM to anyone wanting an elegant wedding on the North Shore!

Reviewed on 10/22/2015

The museum and the team worked all year leading up to our wedding to make it the most spectacular night. Natalia was a dedicated and amazing coordinator. She genuinely wanted our night to be perfect. We also received a lot of feedback from our guests. Regarding the museum, we... Read More had multiple people remark on how it was the most amazing venue they have ever been in for a wedding - it also captured our personalities perfectly. We used East India Marine Hall for the ceremony, the spine for cocktail hour and the Atrium for our reception. Natalia worked very hard to accommodate our large number and in the end, it seemed a lot more spacious than we had anticipated, including the dance floor. We also worked with the electrician at the museum to make our lighting and projections perfect. Thanks Henry! The caterer/venue relationship was very noticeable because it was seamless. Communication with our photographer and DJ beforehand and during was amazing and helped the outcome to be as great as it was.

Amazing Marine Hall Wedding

Reviewed on 10/16/2015

We had an amazing wedding at the PEM. Our guests were stunned by the beauty of the East India Marine Hall for the reception. The atrium was equally breathtaking during the ceremony. This is a first class wedding venue at a reasonable cost compared to others like it. We have... Read More received so many compliments from our guests; We highly recommend it!

Best Night Ever.

Reviewed on 10/07/2015 Laura M

The PEM Is amazing and so is Natalia and her staff at the museum along with the Hawthorne's staff and catering. It was the most perfect night. Everyone was happy and all the details and planning paid off beyond my imagination. The pre wedding meeting was great and so helpful... Read More because they knew exactly what I wanted and planned it all perfectly. When I saw the East India Marine room done up for my wedding I was speechless. it was as though I had set it up myself because it was just as perfect as I wanted it to me. Natalia was so accommodating and helpful. I could go on and on but you just need to see the room to know how beautiful it is. My guests all raved about it that it was like being in a time warp and just not having to think about anything because there was so much to see and look at. I am still reliving the night and so happy!

Beautiful, fun venue and great staff!

Reviewed on 8/18/2015 Leigh

We held our wedding at PEM in August of 2015 (with Hawthorne Catering) and we were so happy with the venue and its team. The museum itself is so unique and we loved that we could have a modern look at cocktail hour in the Atrium and then a more traditional but still interesting... Read More look in East India Marine Hall for the Reception. We also took pictures in the Asian Garden which look fantastic. It's such a great venue in that it's sophisticated but not stuffy and there is lots for your guests to look at. Plus there are a number of hotels, b&bs and churches within walking distance. But even more importantly, their team is awesome. Natalia is so friendly, so organized and so helpful - I felt like I was in great hands from the start and she happily put up with my many post-it notes and directions for the day of the wedding. She was always quick to respond to my questions and coordinated everything perfectly the day of so I had nothing to worry about. Jen and the rest of her team also made sure everything ran smoothly all night and even noticed that I left my grandmother's pin on my bouquet and put it aside for me at the end of the night. Once we looked at PEM we knew it was the spot for us and we were thrilled with the way everything turned out!