PHILIP THOMAS PHOTOGRAPHY

San Antonio, Hill Country & Destination Weddings

No wedding clichés. I capture the life of your day

Forget wedding photography clichés! Hi! I'm Philip Thomas, a Brit in Texas. I photograph unobtrusively anticipating beautiful moments. A former press photographer, photography has been my lifelong PASSION and dream. I capture the art of storytelling. The incredible emotion and 'LIFE 'of your wedding day in a discreet documentary style. Check my website out to see more.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Modern

Bridal Portraits, Engagement

Rehearsals + Parties, Wedding

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Film Photography, Printed Enlargements, Printed Proofs, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing, Photo + Video

San Antonio, Hill Country & Destination Weddings (210) 833-1168

Reviewed on 8/10/2017 Rebecca T

Philip Thomas was absolutely AMAZING! My husband and I were drawn to his candid style, and felt that was the best way to capture our wedding day - and he definitely delivered. He was very responsive and helpful with the questions that we had, and he and his 2nd photographer... Read More arrived on time. He made us feel relaxed in front of the camera. Philip captured the best moments and the photos exude all of the happiness and love from our day! We also liked that he kept in touch with us after and sent sneak peaks, and put photos on his blog, and updated us on when we would receive all of the photos. We highly recommend Philip Thomas - you won't regret it!

Reviewed on 8/09/2017 Jessica V

Photography was one of the most important decisions during my planning process. My husband and I are both very adverse to traditional, posed, stuffy wedding photos. We wanted to make sure that we captured the day with an eye for the artistic, as well as a candid look at the day... Read More itself. I have to say that the photographs turned out even more stunning than I could have imagined. I absolutely loved his use of geometry, black and white, framing, and most importantly - capturing my friends and family in their natural loveliness. This was one of the more expensive choices I made during the planning process, but I believe it was absolutely worth EVERY penny. Not to mention, Philip was a great person to have nearby. He blended seamlessly with my friends and family, was quirky, funny and a pleasure to be around. I would absolutely request his services for other Texas events and I highly recommend him to others who are looking for more art and elegance in their wedding photos. Additionally, he came to Houston from San Antonio without any additional charges, he spent the entire day with us, without any timing limitations. He even offered to join us the night before at the rehearsal dinner. Such a great experience!

2017-08-17T19:33:46 Response from the vendor

Thank you very much, Jessica. So kind taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed on 7/07/2017 Claire W

When my wife looked into all the photographers available in the San Antonio area she was so excited to tell me about discovering Philip Thomas and his work. I have a keen interest in photography and was very concerned about an investment into "professional" photos a family... Read More friend with a nice camera could have taken. Many people can take nice photos. I'm picky about what I consider "fine art" photography compared to typical "snap-shots". After looking at all his personal work on his website, I was excited to see what Philip would capture on our wedding day. His amazing ability to capture the "decisive moment" sets him apart. Other than saying how much we love the magical photographs we now have, and how grateful we are to him for capturing them, go look at his website and blog to see for yourself at how talented he is at what he does.

2017-07-09T12:36:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Kevin and Claire. You're so kind and I was so honored to photograph your wedding.

Reviewed on 5/12/2017 Bri A

One of the best experiences ever and an amazing part of our wedding celebration we won't forget! Philip is absolutely wonderful. When planning our celebration our greatest concern was finding a photographer we loved, and Philip hit off the chart on everything. We met with 10... Read More photographers and emailed back and forth with about 30 more, and Philip was heads above the rest in absolutely every category. He creates art and we will always look at our wedding photos with joy. Very grateful to have Philip share our day with us.

Reviewed on 4/30/2017 Shelley S

Philip is truly an amazing photographer. Not only do our photos look absolutely beautiful, he did an incredible job at capturing the spirit of us and our special day. Myself being not so comfortable in front of a camera, I really appreciate how he never made us feel like we were... Read More being "photographed". Thank you so much for everything, Philip - you sincerely are the best!

Reviewed on 4/12/2017 Erich S

Phillip is amazing; start to finish. From our initial conversation via Skype, my wife and I knew he was our guy. On the business side, he is the perfect mix of professional, comforting, funny and attentive. On the photography side, he is simply a genius. His photojournalism... Read More background shows in spades with every picture. As I look through our albums I forget it was my wedding and unconsiously begin to feel like I am looking at movie stills or a Time magazine spread. It's not wedding pictures, it's art. In addition to the candid, in the moment shots, Phillip does a great job with the "normal" wedding pictures too. And if that wasn't enough he uses his street photography skills to take pictures of the surrounding areas. He took some amazing pictures of downtown Houston that we will frame and put around the house as (once again), art. I do not know what your wedding budget is, but find a way to make Phillip a part of your wedding; his photography is priceless. The wedding goes by so fast... I don't remember off the top of my head what the flowers looked like, how the tables were decorated, or how good the food was, but I will look at Phillip's pictures and be reminded of that special day for the rest of my life.

2017-04-13T10:25:28 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Erich and Kelley - so kind. Truly wonderful working with you and congrats again on tying the knot. - Philip

Reviewed on 3/07/2017 Cassie R

Philip was the most wonderful photographer we could have ever imagined for our wedding day! He captured moments that we didn't even know were happening and all his shots have such beautiful meaning! He makes you feel really comfortable from the get go and most of the time you... Read More don't even notice that he is taking pictures. I would absolutely recommend him to anyone looking for a photographer for any special moment.

2017-03-08T10:46:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Cassie. So kind and humbled.

Reviewed on 1/22/2017 Melissa A

Having Philip Thomas as our photographer was truly amazing. He captured our day perfectly. After following his work and seeing other albums I knew he would be perfect for our wedding. I love every photo from Philip and it helped me re-live every single moment of that glorious... Read More day. He captures moments that will last a lifetime. The day of the wedding he was on time and ready to work. He was never in the way or bothersome. He was a pleasure to work with and is a great person. I would recommend Philip Thomas to everyone!

2017-01-23T17:19:54 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kindness. - Philip Thomas

Reviewed on 1/14/2017 Leslie G

I can't say enough wonderful things about Philip! He did both our engagement and wedding photos and they were all amazing. His style of avoiding cliches and capturing genuine moments is exactly what we wanted, and every single shot is beautiful. We just received our wedding... Read More photos this week and they exceeded all our expectations. Just wonderful!

2017-01-23T17:19:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kindness. - Philip Thomas

Reviewed on 1/05/2017 Kathryn E

Philip was by far one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. His photos are truly art and in my opinion, he is under-priced for the quality of his product. Philip also was very easy to work with - he responds to emails quickly, is flexible, and put Jonathan and I (and... Read More our friends and families) at ease while he was shooting. Like another reviewer said, Philip helped us relive our day. The wedding day went by so quickly, and each time we look at the photos, we feel like we catch little sweet details all over again. We plan to have him photograph our family regularly, once we start having kids. We can't stand the idea of only having one event documented by him!

2017-01-06T08:57:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you Kathryn! So kind to write and sincerely appreciative of your review. Wishing you a Happy New year!

Reviewed on 12/05/2016 Dan H

Philip is an artist, plain and simple. I agonized over choosing a photographer, since their job is to provide you the means for reliving your wedding day for the rest of your life. With the uptick in affordable digital photography equipment, there are a lot of photographers... Read More out there able to demand several thousand dollar price tags for their services with little to differentiate them from their peers. And all too often, they deliver the same poorly-composed, clichéd frames. This is where photographers like Philip separate themselves from the crowd. His talent for composing pictures, while seamlessly blending into the background, resulted in hundreds of truly captivating images. An eye for moments also produced photographs of the most emotional bits from the day. Philip's ability, professionalism, humor, directness and passion combine to make him an impeccable choice to photograph your wedding. Look over his portfolio and you'll see for yourself. If you're on the hunt for your wedding photographer like I was, look no further.

2016-12-06T10:34:21 Response from the vendor

Dan - Thank you so much for lovely review.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Jaynesh S

Philip truly went above and beyond for our proposal. I proposed this past summer, and I had originally contacted Philip in early spring after searching for photographers to capture the special occasion. I'm so glad I found him because our proposal would not have been the same... Read More without him. Philip is the most talented photographer I've met. Philip wanted to take the time to get to know me and make sure his style would be a good fit. This sort of professionalism was reflected throughout the planning process leading up to the proposal. Philip arrived at the Oak Valley Vineyards promptly on the evening of the occasion. While there was a finite number of hours I had agreed to as part of the contract, Philip never kept track. This was something that really stood out to me. He was more interested in taking the time to capture the right moments. He graciously accommodated all our requests including amazing photographs involving our Aggie rings. He went above and beyond throughout the entire evening. Initially I had narrowed my search down to 3 local area photographers including Philip but his work is truly unparalleled in its quality. After conferring with my best friend, my best friend let me know that I would be insane to go with anybody else outside of Philip. His unobtrusive approach allows him to capture those candid moments that you may not recollect without him capturing them. Every time I scroll through our pictures, I recall a new memory of that evening that just makes it even more special. Ultimately, what sets Philip apart is his unique combination of being dedicated to his work and craft and unparalleled talent in capturing the candid moments. Tina and I are truly thankful that we were able to work with Philip for our proposal.

2016-10-19T07:56:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you Jaynesh - Congrats again and I appreciate leaving your feedback.

Reviewed on 10/15/2016 sydney r

We used Philip Thomas for our engagement photos, my bridal portraits, and the rehearsal dinner + wedding. We were very happy with the photos! Engagement photos were a good "warm up" for us since we were pretty uncomfortable in front of the camera initially. Philip really made us... Read More feel calm and relaxed, and he managed to get some beautiful shots. I absolutely loved my bridal portraits. Philip really works with you to determine your individual style when picking location which makes the photos so much more special and meaningful. He also put in the time to get a variety of shots, all of which turned out so well! My husband and I both loved the wedding photos-all very candid and unique photos. I think that is something very special about Philip's style. Wedding photos can get pretty typical and boring. His photos are very unique, interesting, and artistic, which was very refreshing! We purchased a middle range package and then bought so many photos, I would maybe suggest buying a smaller package and then purchasing more photos to be more cost effective. Overall, we loved working with Philip and were very satisfied! We love re-living the night through all the photos.

2016-10-17T08:18:46 Response from the vendor

Dear Sydney, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I loved working with you both.

Reviewed on 10/14/2016 Julie R

If you are searching for a photographer to create memories for your special day, let me tell you, you can stop your search! Philip Thomas will make your photos nothing less than magical. Shortly after becoming engaged, I spent a lot of time researching photographers and their... Read More work to find "the one". After meeting with Philip Thomas and seeing completed work in his studio, I fell in love. The same day, we signed the contract! I am beyond happy with his work on my own photos and those of others. His style is unique and absolutely stunning. He captured unforgettable moments that still make me tear up when I view my wedding pictures. We've received several compliments on him and his work. I highly recommend using Philip Thomas!

2016-10-17T08:21:53 Response from the vendor

Thank you Julie and Michael for your very flattering review. Much appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed on 10/05/2016 Jessica D

We had an excellent experience working with Philip as our wedding photographer. Philip shot our engagement photos, bridal portrait, and wedding. We could not be happier with his photos. The photos are beautiful and perfectly captured each moment. Furthermore, the photo book he... Read More compiled is gorgeous! He is very responsive to emails and calls. He is professional. He made my guests feel at ease. I cannot say enough good things about him! I look forward to throwing another event in which I can hire Philip as our photographer.

2016-10-17T08:24:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you Jessica and Colin. I very much appreciate your time providing your feedback and review.

Reviewed on 8/03/2016 Jennifer D

Philip was such an integral part of our wedding process from start to finish that it is impossible to give him anything but five stars! He is quick to reply to emails and has an excellent website explaining his philosophy and showcasing his work. From the very beginning when... Read More we were researching photographers, Philip was so personal and interested in what we were planning. My husband and I live in Houston and he is super knowledgeable about venues all around Texas. Philip worked with us as we sorted out wedding details and proposed ideas concerning engagement picture locations that worked seamlessly with the story we were trying to tell. On our wedding day, Philip and his second shooter were nothing but superstars! They not only captured so many of the moments that are important but also the lighter moments in between that really make the day special. He is pretty much invisible as he captures moments but at the same time, his personality and calming demeanor put everyone to ease in front of the camera. The quality of prints and wedding albums he offers are top notch and are curated to perfection with his guidance and expertise. Photography is such an important part of the entire wedding process and with Philip it was never anything but a pleasure and a real treat!

2016-08-04T13:59:20 Response from the vendor

Dear Jennifer- Gosh - Thank you so much for your kind words. Truly lovely working with you both.

Reviewed on 7/25/2016 Barbara M

Philip Thomas is the BEST wedding photographer and I am so greateful a friend refered him. If you are looking for a true artist and for magazine like pictures he is the one to go to. He knows how to capture the moments of your wedding and will leave you with an album full of... Read More beautiful pictures for your life time. He is very professional, artistic, creative and he's work is unique and top notch. He has a friendly personality and he is just pure quality. He's work is true art and he's pictures seem to even be alive. simply WONDERFUL!

2016-07-27T08:10:33 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Barbara. I sincerely appreciate your review.

Reviewed on 7/11/2016 Dana R

Philip captured our wedding day with a very personal non-boilerplate style. We're not the type to ham for the camera, and Philip was great at unobtrusively snapping candids while we enjoyed the wedding. We are very happy with the photos.

2016-08-04T14:01:03 Response from the vendor

Dear Dana and Will - Thank you so much for taking the time to write your feedback. Much appreciated.

Reviewed on 4/24/2016 Erin C

If he's available, hire him!!! I cannot say enough about Philip. He is laid back and kind, genuine and genius. He is an absolute delight to work with and will capture moments of your wedding that you didn't know happened. He is truly an artist and you will be amazed with the... Read More end result. Not much in the way of posed or staged shots, so if that's your thing either pick someone else or come with a list of shots you want. I am so glad he was able to photograph our day, we will cherish these images forever. Thank you, Philip!

2016-08-04T14:02:30 Response from the vendor

Dear Erin - Thank you so much for providing your review. I'm humbled and very flattered.

Reviewed on 2/08/2016 Anna F

Would give a hundred stars if I could! Philip Thomas is a true artist and wonderful person. He just did an incredible engagement session for us and, after seeing the preview, we cannot WAIT for him to do our wedding! He sees the world with a unique, beautiful, and haunting... Read More vision; he captures the lively energy of celebration, sweet moments that you think no one else sees, joyful tears on your emotional day, the happiness of being with your loved ones, and everything in between! And he is simply a delight to be around (which is so important when you’re asking someone to capture such special, intimate moments); he is humble, unassuming, and gracious. I saw it said over and over in his reviews that he will be the best decision we make for our wedding, and we couldn’t agree more! One of my friends even said the rest of her afternoon will be shot as she gawks over his portfolios after seeing our engagement shots :) Thank you Philip for blessing us with your gift and for going above and beyond with our engagement photos!! Philip Thomas captures images that you will cherish forever! <3

Reviewed on 12/25/2015

I was lucky enough to have Philip photograph my November 2015 wedding and I could not be happier! The whole process was so stress-free, from initially talking with him via Skype to the day of the wedding. Philip is not only a true professional but he is also fun to be around. My... Read More husband and I were so thrilled with his relaxed demeanor as it made what can be a stressful day anything but! He took the most beautiful photos - photos that make me cry, photos that make me laugh, and photos that make me do both! Both my husband and I are not the most comfortable in front of a camera but Philip made it feel like the easiest thing. I am forever grateful to Philip for the wonderful job he did and would recommend him in a heartbeat to anyone looking for an excellent photographer who captures the essence of your wedding!

2015-12-29T22:25:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your gracious comments. So kind.

Wedding photographer

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Bernie S

Philip was our wedding photographer. We saw his online website and blog and just fell in love with his work. His documentary and non intrusive style just fit our personality. After meeting with him at his studio, we just knew that he would be the photographer that we would hire... Read More to capture our special day. Philip did an amazing job. We love our engagement and wedding photos. Philip exceeded our expectations. Thank you, Philip Thomas.

2015-12-29T22:25:49 Response from the vendor

Bernie - Thank you so much for your kind comments - so gracious and wonderful.

Best Wedding Photographer!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Kelly T

Philip was a joy to work with. He won my family over immediately the first time we met. Philip did our engagement pictures (which were fabulous) and the day of. His friend did our rehearsal dinner and he was also a pleasure to work with. Philip is extremely talented and we loved... Read More that he captured "in the moment" photos and not all were so posed and planned. A few friends have used him since our wedding in November 2014 and I am so glad they did! He is always running around and he never once felt intruding the day of and when we were all on the dance floor. We will use him in the future for family portraits, etc when the time comes!

2015-10-31T09:51:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you Kelly. So kind to write a review.

The best decision we made

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 N M

It's not often that I take the time to write reviews. But, Philip truly went above and beyond for our wedding. We got married this past summer, and we had originally contacted Philip in December after I googled my way to his blog. I'm so glad I stumbled upon it because our... Read More wedding would not have been the same without him. In short, Philip is the most patient, thoughtful, and talented photographer I've met. When you're researching vendors for your wedding, it's rare to come across vendors that do not act like perfunctory service providers. With Philip, this was never the case. Even though we were largely sold on his portfolio, before we could hire him, Philip insisted on having a video chat with us (we don't live in his home state Texas). He wanted to take the time to get to know us and make sure his style would be a good fit. This sort of thoughtfulness was reflected throughout the planning process leading up to the wedding. But, it really took shape during the wedding weekend. Philip had arrived a day early, and when we came by to introduce ourselves, he promptly reached for his camera and spent the next hour photographing our event with our family (even though this was not in the contract). He accompanied us to our rehearsal and spent time taking beautiful photos there as well (even though this was not in the contract). While there was a finite number of hours we had agreed to as part of the contract, Philip never kept track. He was more interested in taking the time to capture the right story, rather than just be a mercenary. He graciously accommodated all requests and gracefully handled even the most absurd photography requests from our family. Simply, he went above and beyond throughout our entire weekend. Beyond his approach to working with couples, his work is truly unparalleled in its quality. He has this incredible ability to really bring your day back to life with his photos. His unobtrusive approach allows him to capture those candid moments that you will always cherish. Ultimately, what sets Philip apart is his unique combination of being dedicated to his work and craft and unparalleled talent in capturing the candid moments that are part of your special day. We are truly thankful that we were able to work with Philip for our wedding.

2015-10-31T09:53:17 Response from the vendor

Nehal - Thank you for writing a review. I'm overwhelmed with your kindness and trust. I loved working with you, Deepa and your family.

Photos that capture the soul of your wedding

Reviewed on 10/26/2015

Philip’s striking photos speak for themselves, but they’re just the beginning of what sets him apart. He puts everyone at ease and he’s flexible and patient--during our engagement shoot, he wasn’t fazed by my somewhat crazy idea of hanging upside down from a tree. Between my leg... Read More muscles giving out and my fiancé cracking up (gently, so as not to fall off the tree himself), it was no small feat. But Philip got the shot in the end, reflecting our personalities the way no other shot could. At our wedding, he managed to be everywhere without us noticing him. With an eye for everything from the critical moments to the smallest detail, he’s also light on his feet and quick to react. He captured so many of our fleeting expressions and tiny gestures. Being able to relive our wedding through Philip’s lens was such a gift to us—seeing my friends leaning forward in their chairs during our vows, my parents beaming with my tiny niece in between them, my husband calming me with a kiss before going out to our ceremony, the way I unconsciously hook my fingers around his first two fingers, my 91-year-old grandma and I laughing and crying together (as we do), and the bond between my husband and his best friend for two decades. As his photos show, Philip is not only a brilliant photographer, but also a gifted storyteller. We’re so grateful to him, and we recommend him wholeheartedly for your wedding!

2015-10-31T09:55:58 Response from the vendor

Lisa - Thank you for taking the time to write a review all the way from Paris. I will always remember the dam tree!! Ha. Seriously, please keep in touch whenever you pop into town and I'll always be grateful for meeting and working with... Read Less Read More

Philip Thomas

A Brit from just south of London, England, I have lived in San Antonio since 2006, when I moved to marry my best friend, a Texas native. Before my move to America, I was a newspaper photographer covering local stories and sports, managed a portrait studio and traveled the world. A life long photographer, I've spent an unhealthy amount of time in darkrooms developing rolls of film and learning from amazing mentors.