Capturing the life of your wedding day

Congratulations on your engagement. I’m an Englishman capturing weddings in San Antonio and Hill Country, Texas. Primarily, I anticipate moments. I capture all the authentic in-between moments. My style is artistic and unobtrusive with a hands-off approach. I use mostly available light with the emphasis on you and your loved ones. Weddings are a celebration, an emotional roller coaster and I'm there to capture it all. I want to hear your story. Let me tell it. Telling your story is my goal and above all, your wedding day should be FUN!

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Lifestyle, Modern

Bridal Portraits, Engagement

Rehearsals + Parties, Wedding

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Film Photography, Printed Enlargements, Printed Proofs, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing, Photo + Video

Reviewed on 12/05/2016 Dan H

Philip is an artist, plain and simple. I agonized over choosing a photographer, since their job is to provide you the means for reliving your wedding day for the rest of your life. With the uptick in affordable digital photography equipment, there are a lot of photographers... Read More out there able to demand several thousand dollar price tags for their services with little to differentiate them from their peers. And all too often, they deliver the same poorly-composed, clichéd frames. This is where photographers like Philip separate themselves from the crowd. His talent for composing pictures, while seamlessly blending into the background, resulted in hundreds of truly captivating images. An eye for moments also produced photographs of the most emotional bits from the day. Philip's ability, professionalism, humor, directness and passion combine to make him an impeccable choice to photograph your wedding. Look over his portfolio and you'll see for yourself. If you're on the hunt for your wedding photographer like I was, look no further.

2016-12-06T10:34:21 Response from the vendor

Dan - Thank you so much for lovely review.

Reviewed on 4/12/2017 Erich S

Phillip is amazing; start to finish. From our initial conversation via Skype, my wife and I knew he was our guy. On the business side, he is the perfect mix of professional, comforting, funny and attentive. On the photography side, he is simply a genius. His photojournalism... Read More background shows in spades with every picture. As I look through our albums I forget it was my wedding and unconsiously begin to feel like I am looking at movie stills or a Time magazine spread. It's not wedding pictures, it's art. In addition to the candid, in the moment shots, Phillip does a great job with the "normal" wedding pictures too. And if that wasn't enough he uses his street photography skills to take pictures of the surrounding areas. He took some amazing pictures of downtown Houston that we will frame and put around the house as (once again), art. I do not know what your wedding budget is, but find a way to make Phillip a part of your wedding; his photography is priceless. The wedding goes by so fast... I don't remember off the top of my head what the flowers looked like, how the tables were decorated, or how good the food was, but I will look at Phillip's pictures and be reminded of that special day for the rest of my life.

2017-04-13T10:25:28 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Erich and Kelley - so kind. Truly wonderful working with you and congrats again on tying the knot. - Philip

Reviewed on 3/07/2017 Cassie R

Philip was the most wonderful photographer we could have ever imagined for our wedding day! He captured moments that we didn't even know were happening and all his shots have such beautiful meaning! He makes you feel really comfortable from the get go and most of the time you... Read More don't even notice that he is taking pictures. I would absolutely recommend him to anyone looking for a photographer for any special moment.

2017-03-08T10:46:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Cassie. So kind and humbled.

Reviewed on 1/22/2017 Melissa A

Having Philip Thomas as our photographer was truly amazing. He captured our day perfectly. After following his work and seeing other albums I knew he would be perfect for our wedding. I love every photo from Philip and it helped me re-live every single moment of that glorious... Read More day. He captures moments that will last a lifetime. The day of the wedding he was on time and ready to work. He was never in the way or bothersome. He was a pleasure to work with and is a great person. I would recommend Philip Thomas to everyone!

2017-01-23T17:19:54 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kindness. - Philip Thomas

Reviewed on 1/14/2017 Leslie G

I can't say enough wonderful things about Philip! He did both our engagement and wedding photos and they were all amazing. His style of avoiding cliches and capturing genuine moments is exactly what we wanted, and every single shot is beautiful. We just received our wedding... Read More photos this week and they exceeded all our expectations. Just wonderful!

2017-01-23T17:19:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kindness. - Philip Thomas

Reviewed on 1/05/2017 Kathryn E

Philip was by far one of the best decisions we made for our wedding. His photos are truly art and in my opinion, he is under-priced for the quality of his product. Philip also was very easy to work with - he responds to emails quickly, is flexible, and put Jonathan and I (and... Read More our friends and families) at ease while he was shooting. Like another reviewer said, Philip helped us relive our day. The wedding day went by so quickly, and each time we look at the photos, we feel like we catch little sweet details all over again. We plan to have him photograph our family regularly, once we start having kids. We can't stand the idea of only having one event documented by him!

2017-01-06T08:57:06 Response from the vendor

Thank you Kathryn! So kind to write and sincerely appreciative of your review. Wishing you a Happy New year!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Jaynesh S

Philip truly went above and beyond for our proposal. I proposed this past summer, and I had originally contacted Philip in early spring after searching for photographers to capture the special occasion. I'm so glad I found him because our proposal would not have been the same... Read More without him. Philip is the most talented photographer I've met. Philip wanted to take the time to get to know me and make sure his style would be a good fit. This sort of professionalism was reflected throughout the planning process leading up to the proposal. Philip arrived at the Oak Valley Vineyards promptly on the evening of the occasion. While there was a finite number of hours I had agreed to as part of the contract, Philip never kept track. This was something that really stood out to me. He was more interested in taking the time to capture the right moments. He graciously accommodated all our requests including amazing photographs involving our Aggie rings. He went above and beyond throughout the entire evening. Initially I had narrowed my search down to 3 local area photographers including Philip but his work is truly unparalleled in its quality. After conferring with my best friend, my best friend let me know that I would be insane to go with anybody else outside of Philip. His unobtrusive approach allows him to capture those candid moments that you may not recollect without him capturing them. Every time I scroll through our pictures, I recall a new memory of that evening that just makes it even more special. Ultimately, what sets Philip apart is his unique combination of being dedicated to his work and craft and unparalleled talent in capturing the candid moments. Tina and I are truly thankful that we were able to work with Philip for our proposal.

2016-10-19T07:56:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you Jaynesh - Congrats again and I appreciate leaving your feedback.

Reviewed on 10/15/2016 sydney r

We used Philip Thomas for our engagement photos, my bridal portraits, and the rehearsal dinner + wedding. We were very happy with the photos! Engagement photos were a good "warm up" for us since we were pretty uncomfortable in front of the camera initially. Philip really made us... Read More feel calm and relaxed, and he managed to get some beautiful shots. I absolutely loved my bridal portraits. Philip really works with you to determine your individual style when picking location which makes the photos so much more special and meaningful. He also put in the time to get a variety of shots, all of which turned out so well! My husband and I both loved the wedding photos-all very candid and unique photos. I think that is something very special about Philip's style. Wedding photos can get pretty typical and boring. His photos are very unique, interesting, and artistic, which was very refreshing! We purchased a middle range package and then bought so many photos, I would maybe suggest buying a smaller package and then purchasing more photos to be more cost effective. Overall, we loved working with Philip and were very satisfied! We love re-living the night through all the photos.

2016-10-17T08:18:46 Response from the vendor

Dear Sydney, Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I loved working with you both.

Reviewed on 10/14/2016 Julie R

If you are searching for a photographer to create memories for your special day, let me tell you, you can stop your search! Philip Thomas will make your photos nothing less than magical. Shortly after becoming engaged, I spent a lot of time researching photographers and their... Read More work to find "the one". After meeting with Philip Thomas and seeing completed work in his studio, I fell in love. The same day, we signed the contract! I am beyond happy with his work on my own photos and those of others. His style is unique and absolutely stunning. He captured unforgettable moments that still make me tear up when I view my wedding pictures. We've received several compliments on him and his work. I highly recommend using Philip Thomas!

2016-10-17T08:21:53 Response from the vendor

Thank you Julie and Michael for your very flattering review. Much appreciate your feedback.

Reviewed on 10/05/2016 Jessica D

We had an excellent experience working with Philip as our wedding photographer. Philip shot our engagement photos, bridal portrait, and wedding. We could not be happier with his photos. The photos are beautiful and perfectly captured each moment. Furthermore, the photo book he... Read More compiled is gorgeous! He is very responsive to emails and calls. He is professional. He made my guests feel at ease. I cannot say enough good things about him! I look forward to throwing another event in which I can hire Philip as our photographer.

2016-10-17T08:24:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you Jessica and Colin. I very much appreciate your time providing your feedback and review.

Reviewed on 8/03/2016 Jennifer D

Philip was such an integral part of our wedding process from start to finish that it is impossible to give him anything but five stars! He is quick to reply to emails and has an excellent website explaining his philosophy and showcasing his work. From the very beginning when... Read More we were researching photographers, Philip was so personal and interested in what we were planning. My husband and I live in Houston and he is super knowledgeable about venues all around Texas. Philip worked with us as we sorted out wedding details and proposed ideas concerning engagement picture locations that worked seamlessly with the story we were trying to tell. On our wedding day, Philip and his second shooter were nothing but superstars! They not only captured so many of the moments that are important but also the lighter moments in between that really make the day special. He is pretty much invisible as he captures moments but at the same time, his personality and calming demeanor put everyone to ease in front of the camera. The quality of prints and wedding albums he offers are top notch and are curated to perfection with his guidance and expertise. Photography is such an important part of the entire wedding process and with Philip it was never anything but a pleasure and a real treat!

2016-08-04T13:59:20 Response from the vendor

Dear Jennifer- Gosh - Thank you so much for your kind words. Truly lovely working with you both.

Reviewed on 7/25/2016 Barbara M

Philip Thomas is the BEST wedding photographer and I am so greateful a friend refered him. If you are looking for a true artist and for magazine like pictures he is the one to go to. He knows how to capture the moments of your wedding and will leave you with an album full of... Read More beautiful pictures for your life time. He is very professional, artistic, creative and he's work is unique and top notch. He has a friendly personality and he is just pure quality. He's work is true art and he's pictures seem to even be alive. simply WONDERFUL!

2016-07-27T08:10:33 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Barbara. I sincerely appreciate your review.

Reviewed on 7/11/2016 Dana R

Philip captured our wedding day with a very personal non-boilerplate style. We're not the type to ham for the camera, and Philip was great at unobtrusively snapping candids while we enjoyed the wedding. We are very happy with the photos.

2016-08-04T14:01:03 Response from the vendor

Dear Dana and Will - Thank you so much for taking the time to write your feedback. Much appreciated.

Reviewed on 4/24/2016 Erin C

If he's available, hire him!!! I cannot say enough about Philip. He is laid back and kind, genuine and genius. He is an absolute delight to work with and will capture moments of your wedding that you didn't know happened. He is truly an artist and you will be amazed with the... Read More end result. Not much in the way of posed or staged shots, so if that's your thing either pick someone else or come with a list of shots you want. I am so glad he was able to photograph our day, we will cherish these images forever. Thank you, Philip!

2016-08-04T14:02:30 Response from the vendor

Dear Erin - Thank you so much for providing your review. I'm humbled and very flattered.

Reviewed on 2/08/2016 Anna F

Would give a hundred stars if I could! Philip Thomas is a true artist and wonderful person. He just did an incredible engagement session for us and, after seeing the preview, we cannot WAIT for him to do our wedding! He sees the world with a unique, beautiful, and haunting... Read More vision; he captures the lively energy of celebration, sweet moments that you think no one else sees, joyful tears on your emotional day, the happiness of being with your loved ones, and everything in between! And he is simply a delight to be around (which is so important when you’re asking someone to capture such special, intimate moments); he is humble, unassuming, and gracious. I saw it said over and over in his reviews that he will be the best decision we make for our wedding, and we couldn’t agree more! One of my friends even said the rest of her afternoon will be shot as she gawks over his portfolios after seeing our engagement shots :) Thank you Philip for blessing us with your gift and for going above and beyond with our engagement photos!! Philip Thomas captures images that you will cherish forever! <3

Reviewed on 12/25/2015

I was lucky enough to have Philip photograph my November 2015 wedding and I could not be happier! The whole process was so stress-free, from initially talking with him via Skype to the day of the wedding. Philip is not only a true professional but he is also fun to be around. My... Read More husband and I were so thrilled with his relaxed demeanor as it made what can be a stressful day anything but! He took the most beautiful photos - photos that make me cry, photos that make me laugh, and photos that make me do both! Both my husband and I are not the most comfortable in front of a camera but Philip made it feel like the easiest thing. I am forever grateful to Philip for the wonderful job he did and would recommend him in a heartbeat to anyone looking for an excellent photographer who captures the essence of your wedding!

2015-12-29T22:25:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your gracious comments. So kind.

Wedding photographer

Reviewed on 10/31/2015 Bernie S

Philip was our wedding photographer. We saw his online website and blog and just fell in love with his work. His documentary and non intrusive style just fit our personality. After meeting with him at his studio, we just knew that he would be the photographer that we would hire... Read More to capture our special day. Philip did an amazing job. We love our engagement and wedding photos. Philip exceeded our expectations. Thank you, Philip Thomas.

2015-12-29T22:25:49 Response from the vendor

Bernie - Thank you so much for your kind comments - so gracious and wonderful.

Best Wedding Photographer!

Reviewed on 10/28/2015 Kelly T

Philip was a joy to work with. He won my family over immediately the first time we met. Philip did our engagement pictures (which were fabulous) and the day of. His friend did our rehearsal dinner and he was also a pleasure to work with. Philip is extremely talented and we loved... Read More that he captured "in the moment" photos and not all were so posed and planned. A few friends have used him since our wedding in November 2014 and I am so glad they did! He is always running around and he never once felt intruding the day of and when we were all on the dance floor. We will use him in the future for family portraits, etc when the time comes!

2015-10-31T09:51:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you Kelly. So kind to write a review.

The best decision we made

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 N M

It's not often that I take the time to write reviews. But, Philip truly went above and beyond for our wedding. We got married this past summer, and we had originally contacted Philip in December after I googled my way to his blog. I'm so glad I stumbled upon it because our... Read More wedding would not have been the same without him. In short, Philip is the most patient, thoughtful, and talented photographer I've met. When you're researching vendors for your wedding, it's rare to come across vendors that do not act like perfunctory service providers. With Philip, this was never the case. Even though we were largely sold on his portfolio, before we could hire him, Philip insisted on having a video chat with us (we don't live in his home state Texas). He wanted to take the time to get to know us and make sure his style would be a good fit. This sort of thoughtfulness was reflected throughout the planning process leading up to the wedding. But, it really took shape during the wedding weekend. Philip had arrived a day early, and when we came by to introduce ourselves, he promptly reached for his camera and spent the next hour photographing our event with our family (even though this was not in the contract). He accompanied us to our rehearsal and spent time taking beautiful photos there as well (even though this was not in the contract). While there was a finite number of hours we had agreed to as part of the contract, Philip never kept track. He was more interested in taking the time to capture the right story, rather than just be a mercenary. He graciously accommodated all requests and gracefully handled even the most absurd photography requests from our family. Simply, he went above and beyond throughout our entire weekend. Beyond his approach to working with couples, his work is truly unparalleled in its quality. He has this incredible ability to really bring your day back to life with his photos. His unobtrusive approach allows him to capture those candid moments that you will always cherish. Ultimately, what sets Philip apart is his unique combination of being dedicated to his work and craft and unparalleled talent in capturing the candid moments that are part of your special day. We are truly thankful that we were able to work with Philip for our wedding.

2015-10-31T09:53:17 Response from the vendor

Nehal - Thank you for writing a review. I'm overwhelmed with your kindness and trust. I loved working with you, Deepa and your family.

Photos that capture the soul of your wedding

Reviewed on 10/26/2015

Philip’s striking photos speak for themselves, but they’re just the beginning of what sets him apart. He puts everyone at ease and he’s flexible and patient--during our engagement shoot, he wasn’t fazed by my somewhat crazy idea of hanging upside down from a tree. Between my leg... Read More muscles giving out and my fiancé cracking up (gently, so as not to fall off the tree himself), it was no small feat. But Philip got the shot in the end, reflecting our personalities the way no other shot could. At our wedding, he managed to be everywhere without us noticing him. With an eye for everything from the critical moments to the smallest detail, he’s also light on his feet and quick to react. He captured so many of our fleeting expressions and tiny gestures. Being able to relive our wedding through Philip’s lens was such a gift to us—seeing my friends leaning forward in their chairs during our vows, my parents beaming with my tiny niece in between them, my husband calming me with a kiss before going out to our ceremony, the way I unconsciously hook my fingers around his first two fingers, my 91-year-old grandma and I laughing and crying together (as we do), and the bond between my husband and his best friend for two decades. As his photos show, Philip is not only a brilliant photographer, but also a gifted storyteller. We’re so grateful to him, and we recommend him wholeheartedly for your wedding!

2015-10-31T09:55:58 Response from the vendor

Lisa - Thank you for taking the time to write a review all the way from Paris. I will always remember the dam tree!! Ha. Seriously, please keep in touch whenever you pop into town and I'll always be grateful for meeting and working with... Read Less Read More

Loved Philip Thomas!!

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 Melissa R

Philip Thomas is extremely talented and will capture every natural and beautiful moment (especially the ones most people miss). He is extremely professional and genuinely kind and makes you feel very comfortable in his company. Our wedding photos look like they should be on... Read More display at a museum... For reals. If you can afford his fees you should make it happen, you will not regret it!

2015-10-31T09:57:29 Response from the vendor

Hi Melissa and Obi - Thank you so much. I cannot wait to see pics of the new baby coming up soon. I'm very grateful that you took time to write a review and I'm looking forward to seeing a growing family.

Picture Perfect Photos

Reviewed on 9/30/2015 Jennifer S

We've been married almost a year now and Philip has been incredibly patient as I'm still trying to put albums together for my parents, but as we reflect on the first year of marriage, we keep going back to our photos. While our wedding was a dream come true, we were on a tight... Read More budget so opted not to go for a lot of the "extras," including a videographer. Thank goodness we did choose Philip, though, because without his gorgeous photos, our memories would be so much more difficult to capture and revisit as frequently as we do. His photos still bring a smile to my face (in fact, I'm staring at one of our wedding photos as I type this review, as it's the background on my computer) and it's not just the finished product that makes Philip such a wonderful photographer. His process is so authentic. He really captured the special, one-of-a-kind moments that we never would have seen had it not been for his eye for true emotions. Additionally, I really felt that Philip and his team were guests at our wedding. They cared about my husband and I and seemed just as concerned about our happiness the day of the wedding as our bridesmaids, groomsmen and wedding planner were. I honestly cannot recommend Philip Thomas highly enough. I felt that I received an exceptional value; Philip even agreed to come out the evening before to shoot our rehearsal dinner, which my in-laws were thrilled about. My friends still mention how my wedding photos are some of the best they've ever seen. In fact, Philip's photos are so beautiful, that he is frequently published in wedding magazines and on wedding blogs. We even worked together to submit my wedding to a site, Junebug Weddings, which was so much fun! Don't just take it from me; visit Philip's website and you'll see that he is literally an award-winning photographer, and I truly believe it's because he captures magical moments - emotional, behind-the-scenes, impossible-to-get moments. I am so grateful to have found Philip and I'll cherish our photos for life.

2015-10-23T11:43:55 Response from the vendor

Thank you , Jennifer- So so kind to write and respond. Many thanks.

Best Decision

Reviewed on 9/26/2015 Arlene W

Hiring Philip Thomas was one of the best decisions we made concerning our wedding. Philip was so easy to work with and we are so excited about our pictures. Neither one of us is too fond of having our pictures taken, and Philip was a perfect choice. We wanted candid shots of... Read More the moments from our wedding day, and that’s exactly what we got. He was seamlessly part of the ceremony and reception, without commanding attention. His photographs are stunning! Thank you Philip for helping us capture the memories of our wedding day!

2015-09-28T11:46:19 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your review. I very much enjoyed working with you both and your family.

Great Experience with Philip Thomas

Reviewed on 8/29/2015 Monica S

Our experience with Philip, from our first meeting to the day of the wedding, was fantastic. He is both incredibly personable and professional, and his photography style was exactly what we were looking for. We were willing to budget more towards a photographer for our wedding,... Read More and we have no regrets in that regard. If you are looking for someone who goes out of their way to capture the little moments of your wedding that make it special, look no further than Philip.

Best choice I made

Reviewed on 4/30/2015 Nadia I

Philip was probably the best choice we made for our wedding. I didn't want posed photos, I wanted him to capture moments that as bride and groom we would miss. He did exactly that, and every picture I have seen so far has allowed me to relive our special night, and get a glimpse... Read More into our guests' experiences. He also managed to blend in and not be intimidating at all, did not interrupt anything during the wedding, we hardly knew he was there!

Philip Thomas

A Brit from just south of London, England, Philip Thomas has lived in San Antonio since 2006, when he moved to marry his best friend, a Texas native. Before his move to America, Thomas was a news photographer covering local stories and sports, managed a portrait studio and traveled the world. A life long photographer, Philip spent an unhealthy amount of time in darkrooms developing rolls of film and learning from amazing mentors.