Red Shutter Studio

Charleston, all of South Carolina and beyond

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle

Bridal Portraits, Engagement

Rehearsals + Parties, Wedding

Destination Weddings, Online Proofing, Digital Files, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available, Social Media Sharing

Charleston, all of South Carolina and beyond (843) 453-7828

Reviewed on 5/14/2017 Nancy L

Tara and Rod are the best. Their photography is unique and beautiful. They were professional and lots of fun. Thanks for capturing the precious and beautiful moments of our Daniel Island wedding.

Reviewed on 1/09/2017 Jaime D

LOVED THEM!! We don't live in Charleston so trying to find any vendor was a challenge. We had to rely heavily on recommendations and reviews. We didn't have a great experience with our engagement photos so I was determined to get amazing wedding pictures, but we didn't have a... Read More ton of money to spend. A childhood friend recommended Red Shutter and from the first time we spoke to Tara on the phone, we just felt at ease. She was able to guide us through what to expect and ask the right questions to help us narrow down how the timeline should go. The day of the wedding, her and Rod were there from start to finish and made us both feel at ease. We never once worried that they weren't getting the shots. I honestly don’t remember seeing them during the ceremony but the pictures show that they were everywhere. Even during the reception, they got so many candid shots without people realizing they were there (huge plus in my book!). They were both so easy to work with and so much fun to be around! One of our groomsman is even very shy and they were able to bring him out of his shell. We also got our pictures back VERY quickly! And most importantly, we love them all!! We couldn't have asked for a better experience for photos for our wedding day. I highly recommend using Rod & Tara if you want the best photos to capture your big day.

Reviewed on 11/01/2016 Shreya P

BEAUTIFUL PHOTOS & GREAT TO WORK WITH. Rod and Tara are a fantastic couple who really enjoy the wedding photography craft! When looking for a wedding photographer, it was really important that we went with someone who would not only capture our special day, but also would be... Read More able to work with us through some unique logistic challenges with our double-venue and ethnic wedding. Right from the start, Tara was on top of all the logistics, reading through the details of our timeline, making sure we had a good list of items we wanted, guiding us with questions to make sure we didn't forget anything in the prep, and most importantly, making recommendations on how to get all the shots we wanted in the (very short) amount of time we had. On our big day, Rod was with us through all our moments -- remember that your photographer is there with you for EVERY MOMENT on an EMOTIONAL day. He saw the tears, the frustrations, the worry about the weather... and captured all the right emotions while saying all the reassuring things when it got to be too much. They stayed longer than we expected, got some beautiful shots through our reception and we would highly recommend them!

Reviewed on 10/05/2016 Ryan S

Rod and Tara were truly God sent through the wedding planning process. Not only were they extremely easy to work with, but they truly care about your big day just as much as you do. We had approached them as long-time family friends about a year out from the wedding date. My... Read More now-wife and I were lost as to what to expect, which wedding shots to request and what style we wanted to go with. They put us at ease immediately with their knowledge and were always prepared to answer our questions, no matter the hour. If you have questions, they will literally walk you through the process with poise and patience. Not to mention, they've done dozens of weddings and can give you expert advice on what makes a fun/great wedding - this was such a help in our time of need. We truly cannot thank them enough for their expertise through the planning process. They had treated us like family the entire time and we will forever be grateful for friends like these. Look no farther for your photographers, Rod and Tara will blow your expectations out of the water. We LOVE you guys

Reviewed on 8/24/2016

My husband and I so enjoyed working with Rod and Tara. They are both so personable, professional and fun! I was drawn to Red Shutter when looking at photographers because some of the images I saw had a magical, mystical feel, which I loved. They are great at their craft. Our... Read More pictures are absolutely beautiful! We love them!!! There were so many great ones to choose from, it was a challenge to narrow down for the wedding album! They are both very attentive, precise and answer promptly to any questions, suggestions and or emails. From start to finish we had a great working relationship with Red Shutter and the results were amazing! I am convinced they are the best wedding photographers in Charleston.:)

Reviewed on 4/10/2016 Morgan B

We are convinced, Red Shutter Studio is the best in the business. You won't find a more organized, creative, and above all- kind duo than Tara and Rod. They are SO MUCH more than photographers. Because they know the city of Charleston so well, they know all the nooks and special... Read More places. Because they know events and weddings so well, Tara is a great resource and will even help guide you in your planning process. They are seriously the whole package. Not only was the planning easy and organized, so was the actual day of our ceremony. Tara and Rod were easy to work with, relaxed, yet efficient and incredibly hard working. You can tell they love what they do. Many of our guests commented on how impressed they were with our photographers and how if they ever married in Charleston, they would use Red Shutter Studio as well. Then of course you see our wedding photos... And they are magic. I have been told several times that we have the most beautiful wedding photos people have ever seen. The day looks as if it was sprinkled with fairy dust. Rod has this incredible gift, he can actually capture emotion in his work. Each photo showed genuine moments of happiness and love. I have never seen anything like it.

AMAZING pictures!

Reviewed on 10/25/2015 Allison F

Rod and Tara at Red Shutter Studio are simply the best in the business! From the moment we started our engagement session we were hooked! My fiancé and I were nervous and felt awkward in front of the camera but Rod and Tara made us feel so at ease! The pictures from that session... Read More came out great but man, the wedding pictures came out even better!! From the still shots they took of all the wedding details to the family pictures to the pictures of just my husband and I, we couldn't have been more pleased with how they turned out. I can't wait to get them printed and hang all over my house!! Also, I have to comment on how FAST they get the pictures back to you. Within two weeks of the wedding Rod had posted the highlight pictures (probably 200 pictures or more) which is pretty unheard of from what I gather from other friends recently married. I promise if you go with Red Shutter Studio you will be SO happy you did!!!

Amazing Photography!!!

Reviewed on 4/03/2014 Kerin S

I cannot thank Tara and Rod for everything they did for our wedding. From the moment we met Tara we knew she knew the wedding photography business. Red Shutters portfolio was beautiful and impressive and they are so reasonably priced! We told Tara exactly what we were looking... Read More for and they delivered! My husband and I are not big fans of staged photos, we wanted more action shots of the wedding day and that’s exactly what we got. They captured our sunset ceremony in such a beautiful manner and their attention to detail is impeccable! I cannot wait to frame our wedding photos! Not only were they professional, they are also a fun couple and they made the whole experience amazing. We received our images quickly (before we got back from our honeymoon) and I can’t stop looking the photos!! I would recommend Red Shutter to any couple looking for a perfect wedding photographer!!!

More.than.just.photography--Red.Shutter.Studio

Reviewed on 5/19/2013 Alice C

We purchased an extra hour, which was plenty, but I do wish we had done a little more--some more shots on land, bridal, in with Captain Bob & my Hubby in the bridge of the boat, weather prevented some amazing shots (Charleston bridge), I wonder how we would be able to use them... Read More again for special moments in our lives?? (We are in TN. Married in SC.) Overall, Tara & 'blanking on his name' (awful of me), were super! Made everyone feel comfortable, were quick & give you what you tell them you want, the traditional images, & their creative images--what a great experience! Check out all the galleries on their site! It's best to email Tara & just get info on what ya'll can set up. They captured true emotion, pictures that will really bring back memories for all who were there. I can't wait to see all of the images on the disc!! Meet with Tara before anyone else in South Carolina!(they.do.great.bridal,maternity,family,baby/child(ren), etc..photos.as.well!

AMAZING!!

Reviewed on 11/11/2012 Jennifer M

My photographers were AMAZING!!! They captured our day beautifully!!

Would recommend 100X over!!!

Reviewed on 9/16/2012 Melissa P

You cannot get two BETTER photographers than Tara and Rod with Red Shutter Studio!! My fiancé and I were running out of time to find and book a photographer so we called the very first photographer recommended to us and booked a “get to know you session”. After that we were... Read More hooked! We didn’t even bother to call another person…and it was the best decision ever! On review of their website http://www.redshutterstudio.com/ , you will see exactly what I am talking about. Their prices are listed directly and honestly on the website, so you don’t spend a lot of time sorting thru any PR business. When we met with Tara to discuss what they had to offer, she showed a genuine interest in us and what was going on in our lives. She took the time to answer every single question in detail and ask us questions in order to direct her services to suit our personality and preferences. She has a very professional attitude and “the customer knows best” approach. She answered every email and phone call promptly, and worked with us on making changes to their photo package to suit the interests of me the bride, which reassured my feeling that we were picking the best in the business! On rehearsal night I met Rod… Can I say hysterical! This guy will make you laugh and put every care and worry at ease. He knows how to work with your guests and get the best pictures of your family possible. He also is a wizard of Photoshop and will turn every picture into a piece of art. My fiancé and I wanted to do something fun with our pictures, so we brainstormed with Rod and his creative wheels took it and ran with it! When it was raining on the big day, he recommended we head to the college laundry mat to take pictures in lieu of getting soaked outside. Instead of taking pictures of memories…we made memories while taking pictures! It was a blast and a nice little secret get away to unveil to our guests and on facebook. We received so many positive comments back regarding these “not so traditional” pictures. Now my husband and I plan on going back every ten years to the laundry mat to get anniversary pics…I can’t wait!!! Hopefully, Tara and Rod will be there with us to capture the moment. The best thing was Rod and Tara got our pictures to us within a week!!! I hear so many people complain that months later they are still waiting on pictures, well not us!! I highly recommend Tara and Rod for your wedding day or any memory of life you want to capture! I have chosen my photographers for life!

Blown Away

Reviewed on 9/29/2011 Courtney B

If I could give them 10 stars I would. I can not say enough good things about Rod and Tara from Red Shutter Studio. Not only are their pictures absolutely stunning, they were a dream to work with. It was beyond a pleasure to spend the day with Rod, we had the best time. I've... Read More never laughed so much or so hard as I did all day that day. They were accommodating from the very beginning. Since we were planning from 800 miles away we could only get to Charleston a few times before the wedding and on one of these occasions we wanted to do our engagement session, but they were booked solid. Rod took off his volunteer position at The Citadel to shoot them for us. They both have an eye that just can not be matched. If you do nothing else for your wedding in Charleston hire Red Shutter Studio for your photographers. I swear you won't regret it.

Awesome photography duo!

Reviewed on 6/08/2011 Tara W

Absolutely great experience working with Tara & Rod. They promptly returned any emails/phone calls and gave suggestions throughout the process. They have different packages that they offer which is great for all budgets. Also, you get full rights to all your photos, which... Read More is FANTASTIC. The pictures turned out better than I could have ever expected and they were such a blast to have with us during our special day!

Perfect!

Reviewed on 1/25/2011 Ashton P

I'm so pleased with Rod and Tara's work. They are wonderful!

The BEST!

Reviewed on 11/22/2010 Tara H

Rod & Tara were amazing! So helpful throughout my entire wedding planning process - even helped me find other vendors and recommeded hotels and salons (I'm not from Charleston)! They stayed with me the from start to finish on the wedding day, and all my guests raved about... Read More how awesome they were! You get so much more than you pay for with them!!!

Awesome!

Reviewed on 10/22/2010 Janine G

I stumbled upon the Red Stutter Studio website in an internet search for photographers in the Charleston, SC area and thank goodness I found them. Rod and Tara are awesome! They captured our special day perfectly in their photography. We also used them for our engagement... Read More pictures and Rod was so much fun! We loved their work so much that we plan on using them for future family photos and some of our wedding guests are also planning on making the trip to have family photo shoots with them very soon! They're just that great!

Review for Red Shutter Studio

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Gretchen S

They're a couple who love people so they're extremely fun to work with. We became friends after working together. They're so talented. They catch these incredible moments some that we didn't remember ourselves. The pictures have been the most special to us of... Read More anything from the wedding day.;Don't expect traditional photography because they're very candid. But you won't be disappointed. They're incredible.