River House Events

St. Augustine, FL

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

River House, on the Matanzas River in downtown St. Augustine, Florida, is an elegant and grand wedding venue for up to 400 of your guests. Located right on the intra-coastal waterway, this beautiful location offers spectacular water views for your ceremony. Choose from indoor and outdoor ceremony sites, dance the night away in the Grand Ballroom for your reception, stroll among River House’s beautifully appointed room and take a walk on the dock out over the water.

River House: This beautiful house enjoys elegant new and antique furnishings with hardwood flooring and carpeting, depending on the space. The color palette is sage green and muted gold.

The Grand Ballroom: This room can seat up to 240 guests or entertain up to 400 in cocktail-style reception. The ballroom has a beautiful wooden 32-foot round dance floor. Six-foot round tables can seat ten of your guests each, in gold Chiavari chairs. French doors offer views of the water and open onto the terrace. In case of inclement weather, the ceremony can be held on the dance floor.

Outdoor Terrace: This terrace with a stone-paved floor offers cover and a view of the St. Augustine Lighthouse. This is an ideal location for a wedding ceremony or cocktail hour afterward. It will accommodate 230 chairs. Seven cast-iron tables, 28 chairs and eight rocking chairs furnish the terrace as well.

Dock: The dock is lit and an ideal location for a small, intimate ceremony or can serve as a backdrop for photos.

The Conservatory: This beautiful garden room includes enormous palladium windows and matching palladium-style iron-framed mirrors, making the room appear very large. It is ideal for a rehearsal dinner with just family or, as it’s located right off the ballroom, for people to gather in before the reception. Six 37-square-inch tables offer seating and the white walls and travertine floors make this space especially elegant.

Library: The library has double French doors that open out onto the terrace overlooking the river. This room is a comfortable place to gather in prior to the wedding or to mingle in during a cocktail hour. With a fireplace, hardwood floors, wingback chairs and leather sofas, the Library offers elegant comfort.

Prior to your wedding, tour the facility, by appointment only, with your partner. You can rest assured that you will have the utmost in service on the day of your wedding, as your event will be the only one booked. You may have a one-hour rehearsal on the day before the wedding. On the day of your wedding, you will have eight hours total, with five hours event time. Anticipate an additional two hours to set up and one hour to clean up.

You will have two staff members present on the day of your wedding, but they do not direct any part of your day. The site heavily recommends that you have your own wedding coordinator to take care of all of the details for you. Except for your wedding cake, your food must be provided by an approved caterer. Additionally, you must obtain insurance coverage at least two weeks prior to the event.

On the day of your wedding, the bride and her attendants can prepare in the bridal suite, which has a private entryway. This roomy area holds six 36-inch tables with white chiavari chairs. The bride will have access to floor-to-ceiling mirrors and a private restroom. The groom and his men will get ready in the Board Room, which has a rosewood table. The men will have access to the library, cable TV, a full-length mirror and terrace views.

For your reception meal, linens are extra. The River House will rent linens and you can choose the colors and fabrics. The venue has several different size tables you can use. There are no music restrictions and you may decorate however you’d like as long as you do not damage surfaces. The grand piano must not be moved and you may not use any type of send-offs that involve fire. Additionally, confetti, streamers, tinsel, rice and birdseed are prohibited.

• Valet parking upon request
  • A steamer and CD player available to the bride in the bridal suite
  • Grand piano to play or hold your wedding cake

Events in the heart of the Ancient City

River House is located in downtown St. Augustine on the Matanzas River, with stunning views of the St. Augustine Lighthouse and the Historic Bridge of Lions. River House brings together in one location a stunning waterfront venue for weddings, civic milestones, and personal hallmark events.

Ballroom, Waterfront

Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

179 Marine St, St. Augustine, FL (904) 826-6210

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Molly S

Constance has been a pleasure to work with thus far and we cannot wait to get married at the River House in 39 days!!

Reviewed on 10/13/2016 Ashley R

The River House is such a picturesque venue with so much to offer! Our guests loved having so much space to explore and spread out, and enjoyed being able to walk down the dock to enjoy some fresh air. Constance is a consummate professional, and has so much experience in the... Read More wedding industry! She was such a pleasure to deal with, was very responsive, had answers to all our questions, and made the whole process so simple and straightforward. I would strongly recommend considering the River House if you are looking to get married in St. Augustine! There are many advantages to choosing the River House over other St. Augustine venues, and it is worth your time to take a tour! The venue sells itself and books up far in advance, so make sure you are setting up a tour as soon as possible.

Reviewed on 7/14/2016 Nicole W

Constance and her team at the River House were spectacular. My husband and I chose this venue for our destination wedding, and we absolutely loved it. Everything about this venue was outstanding.

Reviewed on 4/23/2016 Lindsey W

The River House was the perfect venue! They have a beautiful outdoor ceremony area that perfectly frames the St. Augustine Lighthouse, and a gorgeous reception area. I love the gold chandeliers in the ballroom, the circular dance floor is perfect for you first dance (and... Read More pictures), and they allow you to decorate with lights hung over the ballroom and dance floor, which made the venue feel even more magical. We were blessed with amazing weather on our wedding day and the outdoor ceremony was completely perfect. Constance and the River House team were very responsive throughout the planning process and everything went so smoothly on our wedding day. I would highly recommend checking this venue out for your wedding!

Reviewed on 3/03/2016 Stacy B

If you are looking to make St. Augustine your wedding destination, then look no further because the River House is honestly the best venue in this city. Constance and her team are such a pleasure to work with. Constance was so patient and helpful each time we came to walk... Read More through and plan. The venue is beautiful regardless, but on your actual wedding day when all the decorations and tables are set, the reception room turns majestic! My family and friends are still talking about how beautiful the venue was. I'm so thankful we chose the River House to celebrate our special day!

September Wedding

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Jessica D

From the minute we walked in to the River House we knew it was the place for us. Constance and team were a dream to work with and they went above and beyond to make our day a success! The River House is a great value (you don't have a lot of vendor restrictions) and honestly... Read More reduces a lot of headaches and stress, their packages include china, silverware, tables, linens and gold chiavari chairs so you don't have to run around and find another vendor to do this. All of our guests were raving about how beautiful the venue is. Our day was perfect and we can't thank the River House enough!

Beyond Amazing!!

Reviewed on 8/30/2015 Sherry H

I could not have been happier and can not say enough good things about The River House. The venue itself is breathtaking. We worked with Constance who was so wonderful. She responded to all of my emails right away, even when she wasn't working. It rained on the day of our... Read More wedding and the ladies of the river house were outside wiping down the chairs minutes before our wedding began. Again I cannot say enough good things about The River House and their employees.

Stunning Perfection

Reviewed on 8/23/2015 Jennifer B

For starters, the River House is one of the most picturesque venues in Saint Augustine! It was absolutely perfect, the spanning backdrop of the water and Saint Augustine Lighthouse made for a great utilization of the patio space by our Guests (and was wonderful for pictures)!... Read More Additionally, it is truly a luxury of space (especially among bustling Saint Augustine). Our guests had the luxury of parking on-site at no additional costs or stress to them, and the venue affords the WHOLE space to the dedication of your particular event! This was one of my favorite aspects, among the space and wonderful service from the staff we felt at home at the River House. We did not feel as though we were renting a room for a temporary time, but rather we were afforded the opportunity to roam freely from the main ballroom to the library, dock and beyond. We heard nothing but rave reviews from our guests about the venue selection, and we could not have been happier! I think it is also essential that I include that the River House offers more than stunning perfection in view, but a wonderfully dedicated and professional staff! We primarily worked with Constance when planning our use of the venue, and she quickly became our go to reference for all things wedding! It is evident that Constance knows the wedding and event industry. She had an ease of sharing all of our different options and professionally recommended various vendors that have excelled at the River House previously. We greatly credit Constance to laying the foundation for the perfect wedding! Additionally, the River House staff present for the event were wonderful and extremely detail-oriented! All individuals we interacted with at the River House ensured the event ran seamlessly and we so appreciated their professional and relatable interactions. I highly recommend Constance, her team and the River House to any couple looking for a Saint Augustine wedding!

Reviewed on 8/15/2015

Deciding on River House in St. Augustine as the site for our daughter’s June 2015 wedding reception was an easy decision! The location, the space, and the view are absolutely breathtaking! We wanted a venue where our guests could ‘spread out’! Cocktail hour was outside on the... Read More terrace where the guests could enjoy the beautiful view of the Intracoastal Waterway and the St. Augustine Lighthouse! The Grande Ballroom was absolutely perfect for our reception with plenty of room to seat our guests for dinner, and the ballroom dance floor is extra spacious, which was a must for our party, since our guests danced the night away! By the way, all of our vendors were thrilled to be working at River House!!! Constance (and her team) was beyond helpful from the beginning stages of planning through the end of our reception. Don’t be shy about asking her anything when planning your wedding! Constance’s expertise in planning a wedding reception was extremely valuable, and she is the reason our daughter and husband, along with our guests experienced a wonderful and fun reception!

Stunning Venue!

Reviewed on 6/28/2015 Christy J

The River House was the perfect venue for our wedding. The view overlooking the water as we said our vows was absolutely amazing. Everything went so smoothly and the River House staff were really great to work with. The only downside was that we had to bring everything in... Read More ourselves (alcohol and all of the decorations) and couldn't bring it by the day before because they had a wedding. They only allow vendors to come in a few hours beforehand, which is fine except we had to have some of our friends drop the alcohol off with not much time for them to spare to get ready for the wedding. But they ended up coming a little earlier than the official time and the staff were really nice and accommodating. Overall it was an amazing venue and I couldn't have imagined a better place to have our wedding.

Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 5/18/2015 Ashley H

When my husband and I first saw the River House, we knew right away it was the perfect venue for us. It's right on the water so the view is beautiful (and hosts sights of the lighthouse, where we happened to get engaged!) and it's close to downtown St. Augustine, yet far enough... Read More away that you can't hear the noise of the city. The reception hall is perfect for large parties, or intimate gatherings. The circular ballroom floor was so romantic during our first dance. The best thing about this place is you don't have to do much decorating because it looks great on it's own! My only complaint about The River House is the rules and restrictions are a bit extreme. (Like no sparklers for your exit? That was bummer.) And when they tell you "your wedding is the only wedding that day" they do mean that, but you only have a short amount of time to have your wedding. You have 8 hours and if you want more than that you pay (BIG) for it. People shouldn't have to pay $100 per extra hour (but they'll only give you two extra hours before your ceremony, no more than that) just so their vendors have enough time to get the venue set up. That stressed my decorator out a bit, which I understand! My coordinators and I had to BEG for me and my bridesmaids to be able to show up even just 15 minutes early just to get dressed. Eventually they caved and gave us the half hour without charging, but I thought that wasn't right. It's stressful enough planning a wedding, they shouldn't add more stress by constricting couples with the hours of their ceremony and reception. With all that said though, it's a wonderful venue and the wedding went perfectly!

Best Venue EVER!!

Reviewed on 5/12/2015 Chanell W

The River House is such a gorgeous venue!! We worked with Constance a lot and she was such a pleasure to work with. Our wedding was perfect.

River House Events - Wedding

Reviewed on 12/01/2014 Kelsey C

Constance and the team at the River House were wonderful to work with. They helped out with every detail you could possibly think of when planning a wedding. The venue was beautiful. The outdoor area is beautiful with a view of the St. Augustine lighthouse and the indoor... Read More ballroom is so extravagant with a great dance floor for the reception. This venue was everything I could have asked for!

Amazing venue

Reviewed on 7/07/2014 Kacie M

I looked at many venues and the River House took my breath away the moment I walked in. The service is also amazing. I couldn't have asked for a better venue for my wedding.

Special Day

Reviewed on 4/01/2014 Brenna V

We had a great time at the River House. The staff is amazing, and everyone said the venue was beautiful. Definitely need to book early, but it's worth the wait!

Absolutely Perfect!!!

Reviewed on 11/16/2013 Jenny O

We knew when we first saw The River House that it was the perfect setting for our October Wedding! Constance and her staff were more then helpful leading up to the day and on our wedding day, we could not be more pleased with our event here! I don't know what kind of magic they... Read More had to work to get the dolphins to jump and the double rainbow to hang, but our day could not have gone better!

River House the best venue

Reviewed on 9/25/2013

I loved everything about that place and the people who work there are wonderful and very helpful . Such a beautiful place

Wonderful!

Reviewed on 7/16/2013 kelly b

Bill and I looked at many venues and left each a little disappointed, feeling like we just may have to settle. Then we found the River House. This was the perfect venue for us as it had all of our must-haves: an outdoor area for cocktail hour with a killer view, a large, open,... Read More outdoor feeling reception room, a large dance floor, and in a great location. Constance and her crew were a joy to work with. I highly recommend visiting the River House and considering it for your event, you won't be disappointed.

Beautiful Venue and Wonderful Staff

Reviewed on 6/17/2013 Lauren G

As soon as my (then) fiance and I walked into the River House and met with Constance we knew immediately that this is the place we wanted to have our wedding ceremony and reception! We booked it as soon as we went over the details because it was so highly rated. The River House... Read More is a great value for the money and honestly reduces a lot of headaches and stress since in their packages you can use all their china, silverware, tables, linens and chiavari chairs all included in the price so you don't have to run around and find ANOTHER vendor to do this. Also, the huge beautiful circular dance floor is perfect with a backdrop of the intracoastal and lighthouse. Everyone always says "Oh don't get too stressed on your wedding day because something is bound to go wrong." Well, thanks to Constance and her staff's great help, super personalities and wonderful recommendation of vendors I can honestly say that ABSOLUTELY NOTHING went wrong on our wedding day! All the guests were raving about how beautiful the venue was. All in all if you want to have a spectacular wedding without any headaches (who doesn't?) then you should definitely consider using River House as your wedding venue because I can guarantee you and your guests will not be disappointed!

Absolutely Perfect!!!

Reviewed on 6/02/2013 Jamie W

Our experience at The River House was absolutely AMAZING!!! Not only is the venue absolutely breath taking, but the people are lovely to work with. From the moment I saw this place, I knew it was where we would be married, and when Trip saw it and met the wonderful people, he... Read More was sold as well. Throughout the entire process, Constance and her team were incredible to work with, and very responsive and helpful with ANY questions or concerns that I had. When it came down to our day at the River House, it did not go quite as planned due to the weather. Along with everything that we did on our own, the team at River House helped make our special day even more amazing than I could have asked for!!! It was truly spectacular!!

Amazing Venue!

Reviewed on 4/28/2013 Austin T

After a lot of searching in the St. Augustine area this was the most bang for your buck. The staff was the most spectauclar staff I could have asked for, they were so accomodating and made our day so special. The view is amazing, and the venue is large and offers wonderful... Read More parking (which is hard to find downtown!) I would (and have) recommended this venue to others for any event!

Best in St. Augustine

Reviewed on 4/22/2013 Sarah I

River House is a phenomenal wedding venue - beautifully elegant building with a great view! Our guests were very impressed - many of them made a point to tell us how much they loved the location. If that weren't enough, the staff here is wonderful! Constance is a pleasure to... Read More work with - she even helped answer questions that had nothing to do with the venue. If you are getting married in NE Florida - check out this venue - you are sure to fall in love!

St. Patrick's Day Wedding 3-17-13

Reviewed on 3/28/2013 Emilie A

The Riverhouse was the perfect place for our wedding! Our guests could not stop raving about how beautiful the location was and how much they enjoyed being there. What was nice was that is was so spacious, that our guests had options to hang out inside, on the patio, the dock,... Read More or even the boardwalk. The best part of having our wedding at the Riverhouse was working with Constance. From the beginning, all the way through to the wedding day, she was amazing to work with. Constance was always extremely quick to respond to e-mails and calls and never minded assisting us by giving us vendor reccomendations. She also went out of her way to add special personal touches on the wedding day and made the entire planning process so smooth. I also want to acknowledge Betsey and Elise, the staff from the Riverhouse that coordinated the wedding the day of. They were truly remarkable to work with and were extremely friendly. They were like ninjas on the day of the wedding and set everything up really quickly. I highly reccomend the Riverhouse to everyone looking to get married or host an event. The location is sensational, the staff is truly remarkable and made the entire planning process easy and enjoyable, and finally, the amount of things that are included in the package price made planning a lot simpler. It was truly the best day of my life and I couldn't be happier with how everything turned out.

Perfect from beginning to end!

Reviewed on 2/05/2013 Morgan A

We cannot say enough good things about River House!! First and foremost, Constance and her staff are an absolute pleasure to work with! She is extremely quick and efficient responding to emails and phone calls, and literally held our hands through the entire planning process. We... Read More asked so many questions while planning, and she was just such a breath of fresh air to work with! Every detail was executed exactly as we planned and discussed, and turned out exactly as I pictured it to look! This venue literally has everything you could ever want in a reception hall! From the huge wooden front doors, to the library, to the terrace, to the ballroom, and to the dock...it is just absolutely perfect! We looked at two other venues before we went to River House, and the moment we opened the front doors we knew it was exactly where we wanted our reception! The prices for River House are also very reasonable, and some of the cheapest in the area! Granted, you only get the facility for 8 hours total even though they only do one event per day, and if you want to add hours it will cost you BUT it is well worth it in the end! Find somewhere else to cut down on your budget, because every penny is worth paying for this venue! EVERYTHING is included, and I mean everything--tables, chairs, linens, china, flatware, glassware...everything! And there are also options of adding things like high-top tables for cocktail hour. We even priced out renting everything we needed invidiually instead of using their things to see if we could save a little money. The price to rent linens, china, and flatware ALONE were more than the difference of the next package up that included all of it. We received so many compliments, many that it was the most beautiful reception and venue that people had ever been to--you don't get a better compliment than that! Look no further when you are looking for a wedding venue. We can't say enough good things about River House. THANK YOU Constance and to your team for making our wedding day SO perfect! Morgan & Jeremy Lisby

The River House is Perfection!

Reviewed on 12/30/2012 Margaret B

We were elated with how everything went the day of our wedding at the River House. Not only is the venue gorgeous, but the staff is superb. Constance went over every single detail with us during our walkthrough and was always extremely helpful, prompt and pleasant when... Read More answering any questions that we had by phone or email, no matter how trivial. The day of our wedding two other staff members were there to supervise, they were also extremely professional and helpful. When we arrived, everything was well underway and setup exactly as we had discussed at the walkthrough. At one point, the clasp of my necklace came undone and dropped somewhere, one of the staff members brought it to me before I even realized it was missing! I couldn't believe that she recognized that it was mine! Our wedding went smoothly and if there were any problems, I didn't hear about them. All of our guests were talking about how perfect the venue was weeks after it was over. There is no other place in St. Augustine we would have rather had our ceremony and reception. The bay front view speaks for itself, it's breathtaking. I highly and sincerely recommend this venue, you will not be disappointed! - Andrew and Margaret Petty