Sacred Heart Cultural Center

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Sacred Heart Cultural Center in Augusta, Georgia, is an uncommon and larger-than-life wedding venue in the Northeast Georgia area that's conveniently reached by guests from Atlanta, Macon, Athens, Savannah and Charleston, South Carolina. The center began life in 1900 as an ornate Catholic Church. The last mass was held in 1971 and the building was abandoned to time and the elements. Caring people lovingly restored the old church and it was reopened as the Sacred Heart Cultural Center in 1987, offering couples a stunning and majestic event venue that is open to all and ready to thrill your guests.

The exterior of Sacred Heart Cultural Center features grand entrance arches, towering twin spires and 15 types of brickwork. Inside the restored church are Italian marble altars and barrel-vaulted ceilings that lift the ceiling and the spirits.

Event spaces you may use for your ceremony or banquet include:

Great Hall. The Great Hall has 7,000 sq. ft. of space with the aesthetics of a massive cathedral, including tall columns along the sides and amazing architectural embellishments and accents. Classy pendant lamps and hardwood floors give the space a timeless, yet up-to-date feeling. You can walk down the aisle in a traditional-style ceremony and host your banquet in the hall, with all of the floor space available. Up to 240 guests may be seated at round tables, 500 will fit standing and 600 can be accommodated with theater seating.

The Great Hall has a number of floor plan possibilities from large buffet tables to cocktail-only setups with butler-passed appetizers. The interior walls feature neutral terracotta and sand-colored walls that will match any color scheme and the ornate moldings and trim in the building mean only a minimal amount of decorating will make the space look like a castle or a grand palace.

Courtyard. Adjacent to the center is a lush courtyard that may be tented or left uncovered for a ceremony, banquet or photo shoot. Up to 150 guests may be seated for dinner here in the midst of surrounding trees and shrubs. Use of the Courtyard is included with rental of the Great Hall.

Sacred Heart Cultural Center is a DIY wedding venue. You will be responsible for sourcing your caterer, florist and other wedding professionals. Hiring an Augusta-area wedding coordinator who is familiar with the venue may be the best plan if you are arranging your wedding celebration from out of town.

There is a full working kitchen behind the Great Hall for your caterer and the Sacred Heart Cultural Center furnishes you with enough round tables and chairs for 300 guests. If you want specialty tables and chairs, you will need to rent them.

A formal agreement must be signed, spelling out all of the rules for the venue, which include limitations on decorations that may be placed on sensitive areas of the old church. Local ordinances stipulate that you will need to hire both a fireman and policeman for your event. You should make those arrangements at least a month in advance of your wedding day.

Sacred Heart Cultural Center wants your wedding to be everything you hope for, so they include those extra perks that save you money and add to your enjoyment of the day. These perks include:

• A total of 94 stained-glass windows
  • Separate dressing rooms for bride and groom
  • A 36-ft. x 25-ft. stage is included with rental
  • Baby Grand may be used by pianist
  • 190 parking spaces on site, with 100 more nearby

Nothing Less Than Unforgettable

Sacred Heart Cultural Center is the premier venue for intimate gatherings or large celebrations providing a magnificent historic setting with numerous modern amenities. An exquisite interior, lush courtyard and unsurpassed personal attention make your occasion memorable.

Ballroom, Historic Venue

1301 Greene St, Augusta, GA (706) 826-4700

Two Nights at Sacred Heart Cultrual Center

Reviewed on 1/02/2015

This venue was initally chosen so we would have access to the same venue for two nights, rehearsal dinner and wedding reception. It was a great choice as we were able to use all of the table decorations/flower arrangments for both events. We could not have asked for a more... Read More beautiful venue. We will continue to be in awe of the photograpy taken in this church, it's simply breath taking! With the backdrop of it's architectural beauty and all of the well thought out decorations, as well as the Bride and Groom and their family and guests, it was a perfect evening! I will put a plug in for Clyde Farr, our wedding planner. He recommends this venue for many of his events and really knows how to "work it". He works well with the center with no stone unturned. Couldn't ask for a better combination. Perfection is what he strives for and you'll get nothing less. Kevin and Lyn Harrison

Mrs. Suzanne Eiseman

Reviewed on 12/11/2013

Our daughter, Catherine Eiseman, and new son-in-law, Jeff Henry, had a wonderful evening at Sacred Heart. We could not have found a more beautiful place to celebrate their wedding reception. Everything was perfect and the staff was most accommodating.

Wedding & Reception Venue

Reviewed on 6/03/2013 Joselyn L

We absolutely LOVE the Sacred Heart Cultural Center!!! Rachael (& the others) were pleasant to work with. They answered all of my questions promptly and she accommodated my schedule for rehearsal. The building is breathtaking and any BRIDE would love the aisle which is at... Read More least 100 ft!!! The Pros:-Beautiful building and historic-Bride & Groom 'Waiting' rooms -Beautiful LandscapeThe Cons:-Only 1 hr of Rehearsal Time Included -One bathroom upstairs for guests

Reviewed on 12/11/2016 Chelsea L

I've always dreamed of getting married in a gorgeous Catholic Church so the day I got engaged I knew where I would say "I Do". I got engaged October 9,2015 and booked Sacred Heart two days later to get married November 12, 2016. The place is gorgeous in and of itself so decor... Read More isn't even needed to be honest. I had my ceremony inside while the outside courtyard was set up for cocktail hour, while they flipped the ceremony area to become the reception area. The people there are so kind and do anything they can to make your day absolutely special.

Reviewed on 5/16/2016 Dynasty T

I went to visit this venue this past weekend for my wedding in summer 2017. I was to meet with the property manager Raymond. When my family and I arrived he kept us waiting at the door and yelled at us because he "wasn't aware" there was a tour scheduled for us. He proceeded to... Read More show us the venue but was very rude while answering questions. My Fiance' was disgusted by the UN professionalism.

Reviewed on 2/21/2016 Geni S

From the moment I saw this place I knew i wanted to be married here. It is beautiful and the architecture is extraordinary. I can't even describe all the details. They no longer operate as a church so the building is available for both ceremonies and receptions! I strongly... Read More recommend Sacred Heart.

Beautiful Ceremony and Reception Venue

Reviewed on 1/29/2014 Tiffany B

I live in Augusta, Georgia so I've driven past Sacred Heart often but never thought much about it. My husband suggested Sacred Heart when we began planning our wedding. The staff was friendly but because we were both working out of town during the planning process, we did not... Read More actually get to view the inside of the venue in person until 2 weeks before the wedding. When we did stop by, my husband and I didn't quite get a warm and fuzzy feeling though because we weren't formally shown around, just told that we could go upstairs to see it. Other than that, we had a good experience. The day of the wedding they had someone to help with the floor plan and someone in the office for any help needed. In regards to the venue, it was beautiful. We had both our ceremony and reception there and it was large enough to set up the chairs for the ceremony in the front and the tables for the ceremony in the back. During the cocktail hour, the tables were spread out and the chairs moved to be placed around the guest tables. The outside of the building is beautiful and wonderful for photos. The only complaint that we had about the venue were the acoustics. The music and speech didn't really sound that clear. All in all, we had a wonderful experience and would recommend them.

Elegant

Reviewed on 3/26/2013 Ms. L

Beautiful venue that requires minimum decor. If you are doing banquet seating for a fairly large wedding you will have to use both rectangular and circle tables. I was initially hesitant, but it actually worked out great!

Stunning Venue

Reviewed on 7/24/2012 Sarah W

This venue is perfect for both the ceremony and reception. The staff is very friendly and the space is well worth it. LOVE Sacred Heart!

A Classy Location

Reviewed on 9/19/2011 Marguerite W

Sacred Heart Cultural Center in Augusta GA is the Perfect Place for a Classy wedding. The buildling is over 100 years old however is a good condition. It is breath taking everything I think about how gorgeous it is! If i could do it all over again, I would STILL choose Sacred... Read More Heart as my wedding venue and wouldn't change a THING! It was under $2000 to book the venue and I even had my reception there!! The staff there is extremely friendly and helpful!

Reception

Reviewed on 9/08/2011 Jaimee W

Sacred Heart is a beautiful building and the reception was very elegant. My only complaints were acoustics- I felt at times it was hard to understand what the band was saying when making announcements and when speeches were made. Also if you have a wedding/reception earlier in... Read More the afternoon, you don't get much time for set up, especially if you were intending for a longer reception. Other than that, no complaints.

Review for Sacred Heart Cultural Center

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 melanie c

At Sacred Heart, you have the option of having your ceremony and reception in the same place. Not only was the atmosphere amazing, but you save time, money, and work by only needing to decorate one place for the entire event.;May not be large enough for any ceremony and... Read More reception involving more than 200 guests.