Documentary, Lifestyle

Trash The Dress

Boston, MA (617) 651-0207

Reviewed on 11/21/2017 Roseann S

Extremely professional and easy to work with. He knows the shots that will look the best and can make anything look amazing. I have only seen a few "teasers" so far but what I have seen has been incredible. I can't wait to see all of the final photos from our special day!

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Kristen B

Our wedding was amazing and Shawn was such an important part of our day! From his advice on getting ready for the big day to very personal moments he helped with. He really is more than a photographer...he was like an honorary maid of honor! He made the day so smooth and less... Read More stressful. Not to mention the beautiful pieces of art he captured! My husband and I both agree he was the best decision we made planning our wedding! Thank you from the bottom of my heart! Our pictures are absolutely breath taking!

Reviewed on 8/06/2017 Cara G

People who have seen my photos (those that were at my wedding as well as those who were not) are so enamored with what what was captured. The people at my wedding were speaking for days about "the photographers climbing fire escapes and rolling around to get the shot like they... Read More were in an action movie" We are so please with the way our photos came out!

Reviewed on 3/09/2017 Shara C

Shawn was first introduced to us by a friend of mine, who raved about Shawn's amazing photography from her own wedding. We are so happy that we booked him as our wedding photographer because we can't imagine our pictures being any better. Shawn has such an amazing talent for... Read More capturing moments and unique images, which is exactly what you want on your wedding day. His contagious energy and passion for photography are obvious in his photos. He is able to blend in so well that your guests will literally have no idea they’re being photographed. He is truly a jack of all wedding trades, going above and beyond what you would typically expect a wedding photographer to do. Literally...he was a wedding day coordinator, advocate, seamstress ( Yes-seamstress. He fixed the broken bustle on my gown in the middle of our wedding reception) and friend. I also have to mention that my husband does not smile much for the camera, and Shawn caught the most amazing pictures of him smiling. He seriously looks like a GQ model. We couldn't be happier with our decision to book him and highly recommend his services for your own wedding. You won't regret it.

Reviewed on 9/15/2016 Melissa W

Shawn Black is exactly what you need for your wedding. From our first meeting with him, to our engagement pictures to our wedding day - he was absolutely amazing. His pictures are stunning and he knows exactly what to do and how to stand in order to get the best shot. My wedding... Read More day was very chaotic until Shawn showed up and was able to bring me back down to earth. He is very calming and isn't afraid to speak up to anyone who may be making your special day anything less than perfect. We got our pictures back about 3 months later and they were SO worth the wait. They are better than I could have ever imagined. I wish I could post one here to show you all!!! Shawn is worth every penny. My husband and I couldn't be happier with our pictures and I know we will treasure them forever!

Reviewed on 6/27/2016 Katharine P

Shawn is wonderful to work with and I'm confident we'll have some gorgeous photos to look back on for the rest of our lives. We loved our engagement shots and the previews of our wedding photos - which we used for thank you notes after the wedding. Our guests appreciated and... Read More complimented us on them as well. I can't wait to see them all!! Working with Shawn you feel like you're in great hands - he's professional, kind, calming, knowledgeable, and fun to boot! He's great at communicating everything ahead of time, putting you at ease during the preparation and on one of the most stressful - and wonderful - days of your life. That's what you want and need on your wedding day - to be surrounded by pros, so you can simply enjoy every moment! Here’s more information about what it’s like working with Shawn: He makes sure that he's capturing all of the traditional shots, as well being open to accommodating any special requests that you have (ahead of time, and on the day-of). Shawn has a great eye for creating wonderful shots that highlight both the couple and the beautiful scenery - which is a recipe for some really unique photographs. He's very intuitive: for example, as we were doing family portraits the day-of, he could tell I wanted to add another family member into a shot without my having to say anything... and he proactively asked me if I wanted to add that person in. He was on top of it! He was also great about making sure we stayed on schedule as we ran around from place to place. The bottom line, he's a very skilled photographer at a very reasonable price. I highly recommend Shawn for your wedding, engagement, and any portrait photography.

Reviewed on 3/03/2016

Phenomenal to say the least! It would be a truly difficult task to sum up our experience in just a few shorts phrases. Yes, Shawn Black is that AMAZING! The quality and precision of the shots were incredible! My husband and I were on a tighter budget for our wedding however... Read More photography was one of our only splurges and we were only willing to do so with the best of the best! Shawn was that person for us! Our engagement pictures were included in our packages and we were blown away with those pictures as well. We had such flexibility, we were able to chose the location and Shawn worked his magic! We could not wait for the big day knowing that he would capture it just as well if not better! On the day of my wedding if there was something I needed Shawn had it in his emergency bag- something every Bride can appreciate! There was nothing confusing about working with Shawn, he explains everything, he keeps in touch quite periodically throughout it all. He gives suggestions and took our input and wants and helped to make sure that with his knowledge and expertize it was all met to the best of his ability! The day of your wedding is almost a blur when its all said and done, it goes by in the blink of an eye. I can honestly say that when my Husband and I sat down in Shawn's office for the reveal it was like being brought right back to that day. All the memories came flooding back and all those happy emotions filled my heart again. We were blown away by the pictures. Every other word out of our mouths were I love this picture, OMG this is awesome, WOW, This is AMAZING..... and so on and so forth. If we had to do it all over again we would only change one thing, we would have saved up more $ so that we could have had Shawn longer to get more beautiful pictures. The wait of the reveal is more then worth the wait! I would recommend Shawn Black to everyone and anyone and well, we do! WE can not rave enough about him and his incredible work. My husband has an eye and a passion for photography and he knew from seeing just a few of Shawn's pictures that he was the one. We cannot thank him enough and cannot wait to find a reason to use him for something else :)

Reviewed on 2/17/2016 Julie D

It’s very difficult for me to write this review, as I had a positive experience utilizing this vendor but the finished product was not what I expected and left me very unhappy. On our wedding day we took photos before our wedding and during cocktail hour. During cocktail hour we... Read More took formals with my husband and I standing center, adding people in as they were called. These photos were all very basic. We did not get any “fun” or candid photos with our bridal party. We received our images 4 ½ months after our wedding via in person meeting. We were given 740 images (2 photographers for 10 hours). The next day I scanned through the photos via online gallery and realized there were many photos missing (photo of my parents, my grandfather, candid photos of our wedding guests enjoying our day, solos of bride/groom, photo with grandparent, and only ONE photo of my entire bridal party). It was upsetting. To see the look on my Mother’s face when she realized there was NO photo of her and my father broke me inside. I reached out to Shawn a few days later via email to express my unsatisfactory. He was very professional and nice, however I felt he didn’t really answer my questions of why the photos were missing. He explained weather, transportation, event coordinators, not locatable guests, etc. all of which I don’t see as a reason why a photo of my parents especially could not be taken. After all, they are in photos with me, which means they were present. There wasn’t even a photo of them dancing together during our first dance. This was also on our wedding worksheet as our first dance was coincidentally the same song as my parents and my husband’s parents wedding songs. All of which Shawn was aware of. He did offer me an album at 50% off, but for personal reasons I did not want to present more money to him. About two weeks later, my mother in law on her own telephoned Shawn to discuss my displeasure again. Again he said he would give an album at 50% off, but that was it. She requested additional photos, but he stated he did not have any worth giving as there were people not looking, eyes closed etc. All in all, it’s hard for me to say this but I would not recommend Shawn again to future brides. During the process I recommended him to two brides and hope they love their results more than I did. Don’t get me wrong, the photos I do have are very beautiful and I say that to everyone who asks. But displeasure comes from a place of hurt and sadness. I met with Shawn for two hours a month before my wedding day and went over all of the things I wished to have from him. I filled out a wedding worksheet he requested that included 85 questions about our wedding day and “must have” photos. It’s tough to feel like you paid a lot of money for services that you did not like the result of, but you still had to pay for them. If I could give one piece of advice to future brides it would be to ensure you review as many photos as possible from the photographer you are set to choose. Ensure you outline when you’re looking for on your wedding day BEFORE you hire/sign a contract. There are so many friends of mine that were recently married and I wish I had the photos they have. I am thankful I have some, but saddened there were so many missing.

Amazing Pictures

Reviewed on 2/04/2015 Catherine T

In addition to absolutely loving the final product of my pictures - Shawn was such a calming force amidst my crazy family and friends. He somehow wrangled 23 of us to take incredible bridal party pictures. He does not disappoint and I highly recommend his services.

Phenomenal Photographer

Reviewed on 7/02/2014

Shawn Black was amazing at our wedding! The shots he took came out great and he knew exactly how to capture the perfect lighting of the different times of the day. He not only took fabulous pictures of the entire day but he also gave great advice for everything throughout the... Read More day to make it go smoothly! I did not even need to go to my bridal emergency kit with the extra safety pins for my bustle of my dress, Shawn had everything right with him so it didn't take time away getting all of that stuff. Shawn is the best photographer and we would highly recommend him for any event. He also has a great personality. Myself, my husband, and my entire bridal party consider him as a friend.

Best possible wedding photographer + the most amazing photo album!

Reviewed on 6/15/2014

I work in the visual art field and my husband is an amateur photographer. We were super picky in finding the best possible and most artistic photographer for our wedding. Till this day, we can't believe we found Shawn! He is truly exceptional! His photos are true art:... Read More cinematically visual and beautiful. They are also personal. Shawn's artistic sensibilities also mean he's quite an observer -- he got us and our taste right away! that was pretty incredible! At our wedding, we saw him work in every possible position and angle (high up near the ceiling, lying on the ground), no wonder he caught all the magical moments of everyone (all the guests!) and some of the most uniquely framed shots. Not only is he a most professional photographer, he's also probably the most personable one you would find! So incredibly friendly, enthusiastic and passionate about his work! We felt a connection with him after our first meeting. Such a great guy! Now to my favorite surprise of the whole process: THE PHOTO ALBUM, which completely blew me and my husband away!!! We saw the sample albums at his office, but until it is yours, you would not know the impact! We thought we had seen the images (which were superb) and the sample album, we knew what to expect. But NO! From the presentation to the actual album (the exceptional quality of print and paper and lamination, not to mention the most spectacular cover), it really added quite an exclamation point to a process that was already beyond our highest expectation! Get the photo album (the one with the glass cover) -- it makes those beautiful memories tangible and permanent! It is a worthwhile investment!!!! Hands down. Shawn IS the best!!!!!!!!

Exceeded Expectations That Were Alreay HIGH!

Reviewed on 2/15/2014 Joanna C

From the first meeting to after we received our final pictures, Shawn was professional, a perfectionist and helpful! We planned our wedding in a little less than 2 months and after seeing the beautiful pictures that Shawn gave my cousin, I knew he would be a key part of being... Read More able to pull it off as flawless as possible. Not once was I ever worried that the pictures would turn out less than perfect and Shawn exceeded my expectations. For many brides, the pictures are very important and I was no exception. Shawn even went so far as to pass on helpful wedding day tips that he has picked up along the way on what to do or not do leading up to and on the wedding day. He wore many hats and wore them well - wedding planner, wrangler, photographer and artist. I will cherish his photo's for the rest of my life!

BEST PHOTOGRAPHER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed on 10/10/2013 Laura C

Where do I begin? SHAWN BLACK IS AMAZING! He is seriously the BEST photographer a bride and groom could hope for! We met Shawn because he photographed my cousins and my husband’s cousins wedding the year before ours! Once we saw his photos we were hooked! When we first met with... Read More Shawn he was so easy to talk to and had great ideas! We talked for over two hours and we knew that he was our photographer! My husband was skeptical about an engagement session, but when we arrived Shawn made the whole experience SO fun! They talked sports and he made us laugh. I felt like we were best friends with him by the end of that day! The best part was that my husband told me that he had FUN and ENJOYED the experience! Ladies that's a great feeling let me tell you! During our final meeting with Shawn he told us everything we needed to know for the day of, He told my husband to use extra shaving cream and a new blade, he told us to make sure to drink lots of water, to eat, and to most importantly enjoy every moment. Shawn is not just a photographer he also acts as a coordinator! The day of our wedding, as every bride I was beyond excited and not thinking of everything, Shawn literally thought of EVERYTHING! It was a little windy and when I got out of the car my veil came out...Shawn said "don't panic I have bobby pins, blonde ones" Also my beautiful dyed HOT PINK wedding shoes got water spilled on them (by me of course) and were dripping all over my hands, BUT no worries Shawn had a wedding kit full of everything needed and saved the day by drying my shoes and getting the pink off my hands. And most importantly when my zipper on my dress was stuck, and my girls were slightly panicked....Shawn stepped in and saved the day! All night at our wedding people said to us "WOW your photographer is AMAZING!" They had not even seen our photos yet they were just judging by his professionalism and watching him work around us. Shawn Black is by far one of the best things we spent our money on, he is worth it I can promise you that!!!! I recommend him with my highest regard and hope that every bride and groom get to experience what we did!

Shawn is absolutely amazing!!!!

Reviewed on 9/09/2013 Amanda M

As soon as I looked at Shawn's portfolio I knew I didn't have to look any further! We did an engagement session with him a few months before our wedding. We were on the waterfront in Boston and it was so windy but he did everything he could to position us so my hair wasn't... Read More blowing in my face! You have to have a lot of trust in someone when you hire them to capture all those special moments on your big day because there is a lot of things you won't see that day, but you will see them in your photos. Shawn pays lots of attention to detail and listens to what you want but is also there to offer advice. He called me 2 nights before my wedding just to chat and also to make sure he had everything in order. He told me what I should, and more importantly, what I shouldn't do on my end to make sure my photos would be perfect. The morning of the wedding, he came to take photos of me and my girls getting ready before the ceremony. He kept asking me if I had eaten anything (I hadn't) and finally made me sit down and eat something small because he knew I needed it! Our 5 year old son was also part of our wedding and Shawn was great with him which was very important to me. The last thing a 5 year old boy wants to do is stand around and take formal photos for an hour but Shawn made it fun for him and he got some amazing shots, which just happen to be some of my favorites!! I honestly couldn't have asked for anyone better!! He wasn't just our photographer, he was the person that calmed me down in the morning, told me to smile and now I consider him a friend. I could go on and on about how great he is! I highly recommend Shawn and if you decide to take the time to meet him, you will know why!

Timeless Photographs; Consumate Professional

Reviewed on 7/30/2013 Laura B

We selected Shawn Black as our wedding photographer based on the outstanding photographs we had seen in his portfolio . . . we'd recommend him to others for that reason and many, many more. Shawn made the entire experience special while still managing to put us at ease. From... Read More scheduling the first meeting and the engagement shoot through the end of the wedding day,Shawn was always quick to respond and available to answer questions for us. He gave us brilliant ideas for photographs and advice for approaching the logistics of the day . . . He helped craft the right schedule of photography events for us in advance of the wedding day so that we felt prepared, and he followed-up days before to confirm. He was prompt on the wedding day, and even when I was a bundle of nerves minutes before the ceremony he was able to calm me down, get me to laugh, and get amazing photos. The wedding day was a blur, and like you'd want in a great wedding photographer Shawn blended into the background -- I can't say I remember seeing him much as I buzzed around in a dream! But the photos we received said everything I needed to know -- he was everywhere that day, paying attention to the special moments and capturing things I didn't even know where going on. The photographs are spectacular, and I cannot imagine anyone having done any better. We simply cannot recommend Shawn enough.

Shawn Black is the best!

Reviewed on 7/23/2013

I cannot say enough about how wonderful my experience was having Shawn Black as my wedding photographer! Shawn has mastered the balance of being the consummate professional, having the perfect eye for photography and thinking outside of the box. Our engagement pictures were... Read More unbelievable and the session was so much fun. We shot outside of Fenway Park and Shawn totally captured the true "us" with the rich backgrounds of the Green Monster and fenway brick. We loved them so much that had them made into a book that we used as a guest book at the wedding. Everyone raved about them! The day of wedding Shawn was so much more than our photographer. He totally kept us on time as we were getting ready at my mother's house all while keeping me completely relaxed. He even ended up helping my sister tie up the corset back of my dress! He captured all of my formal shots in a timely manner and after that if felt like we hardly saw him.....he managed to capture every moment of the wedding while blending in with the background and without sticking out in the crowd. We got all of the important shots (cake cutting, first dance, etc) but more importantly Shawn captured the emotion and excitement of the night with his candid shots. We will cherish these pictures the most and feel as though we re-live the wedding each time we look at them. We recommend Shawn Black to everyone who wants any event captured on film...he is the absolute best!

Professional, personable, and excellent photographs

Reviewed on 7/19/2013 Haley B

We hired Shawn Black to capture our wedding day, and he did such an amazing job. Not only did our photos come out fantastic, but he was more than just a photographer! From giving pre-wedding day advice and helping me pick out my jewelery, to re-bustling my dress when the bustle... Read More broke after the ceremony, you could tell that he really cares about helping create your perfect wedding day. We HIGHLY recommend Shawn to anyone looking for a quality wedding photographer!!

Shawn's the best!

Reviewed on 7/18/2013 Crystal B

Shawn did our engagement session as well as our wedding day and we had a great experience with him both times. We wandered around Boston in the freezing cold for our engagement session and he had no problem crawling around on the ground to get a couple of shots we wanted.... Read More For the wedding he beat us to the venue and called me since I was stuck in traffic and got right to work with all of the dress, accessory and setup shots he could while he was waiting for our arrival. Once we go there he got everything else and we rushed down for the ceremony keeping everything right on time. Shawn and his second shooter did a great job at catching everything and we put them to the test with motorcycles, climbing a ladder and getting a few shots on the boat we were taking on our honeymoon. Shawn will definitely get the shots you're looking for and is really easy to get a hold of if you have any questions or concerns.

Lucky Find in Boston!

Reviewed on 7/18/2013 Danielle B

Being new to the area I consider it a stroke of luck that my fiancé and I wound up with Shawn as our photographer for our engagement pictures. I'll start with saying that I am pretty comfortable in front of a camera... my fiancé not so much. However, Shawn was very quick to put... Read More us both entirely at ease and make the session such an enjoyable one that we decided to do a second. He came up with entirely original shots that I could have never possibly thought to suggest and that managed to capture both of our personalities perfectly. As previously stated, the first session was so much fun and we (and everyone else who saw them) were so pleased with the pictures that we opted to do a second. All of his photos are being used for our save the dates and I everyone in our family is ordering some. Additionally, the amount of compliments I have received is insane... everyone loves the pictures and has stated that they're so much better than the typical "cookie cutter" engagement pictures they always see. SO, if anyone is looking for an awesome photographer, I would contact Shawn! He is truly awesome and I know I will be looking him up for any future photography needs in the area.

Shawn exceeds every expectation of a wedding photographer!

Reviewed on 7/18/2013 Jennah C

To say it simply, Shawn exceeded every expectation we ever had. From our first conversation, he was professional, responsive and you could tell he was knowledgeable in what he is doing. The day we met Shawn he made it clear he would be far more than our photographer and he was... Read More right. He is now a friend to both my husband and I. He was there to calm my nerves, make sure our wedding day went perfectly and to capture every cherished moment he could. I cannot recommend him enough. His work is flawless and magical, he has a wonderful personality and truly cares about his clients and what he does. He is the best of the best and will make your special day much more than you expect.

Amazing

Reviewed on 6/18/2013 Phylicia B

the photos were great and he was very knowledgable in where and how to take the best photos

BEST wedding photographer.

Reviewed on 6/11/2013 Laurie O

We can not say enough good things about Shawn. He was absolutely the very best match for us for photography, from our engagement shoot to our wedding day. On our wedding day, Shawn was incredible! He was so so helpful and wonderful. One of my bridesmaids dresses broke, and he... Read More had all the right things in his kit to help her! AND he even helped with my gown! (A corset back, and he made it fit so perfectly!) I wish I could tell every bride I know that if they didn't hire Shawn they were really missing out on a great photographer on their wedding day!

Shawn Black

Reviewed on 6/06/2013 Alexandra R

Shawn was an AMAZING photographer. He did both our engagement session and our wedding. He used the engagement session to gauge how we were as a couple and geared our shots appropriately. He also met with us on several occasions and was always available by phone or email to... Read More answer any questions before the big day. During the wedding, I became very anxious (it was a little over a week after the Marathon bombings and I hadn't really recovered) and he was honestly the one who made me feel comfortable and stable and beautiful throughout the day. I would recommend Shawn to everyone!

Great photographer!!

Reviewed on 1/07/2013 Jackie C

Shawn did a great job covering our event! He was super easy to work with and got some great candid photos throughout the day. We have hundreds of pictures to pick from after the wedding - couldn't be happier!!