Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum

Ballroom, Museum

Food + Catering

4141 5th Ave, Pittsburgh, PA (412) 621-4253

Reviewed on 4/03/2017 Melissa J

I cannot say enough about how perfect this venue was for our wedding, and how much I appreciated having Amber and Aly there to help with everything! Our day was so much fun for us (the bride & groom) because we didn't have to worry about anything! Our guest were raving about how... Read More beautiful the ballroom was, as well as being able to enjoy the museum prior to the reception. We stayed right across the street at the Wyndham, which made things even more convenient. I can not recommend this venue enough for any Pittsburgh bride!!!!

Reviewed on 12/31/2016 Christina B

I don't have enough good things to say about Soldiers and Sailors. The venue is absolutely incredible. The beauty of the building inside and out is so beautiful. I've only seen a handful of our pictures, but wow the building just made our pictures that much more beautiful. We... Read More just got married 3 weeks ago, and Amber and Ally truly made it the best night of our lives. We had the ceremony in the ballroom, they escorted everyone out to the foyer for cocktail hour, and within fifteen minutes the team transformed the ballroom into our incredible reception space. Soldiers was the perfect place for a wedding and reception! Please please check this place out, you will not be disappointed!

Reviewed on 10/29/2016 Christina H

The ballroom at Soldiers and Sailors is such a hidden gem!!! It was a gorgeous venue for our fall wedding! Our guests couldn't believe how beautiful it was! They said it was like being on the Titanic!!! Amber was incredibly helpful in making sure that everything was perfect for... Read More us. There is no matching the beauty and elegance of this room!!!

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Michelle B

We had such a great experience working with Soldiers & Sailors. Ally and Amber were fantastic. I worked mostly with Ally and she was quick to respond to all of my questions and never once made me feel obnoxious despite the number of one of emails I sent in the weeks leading up... Read More to the day. The ability to get in early day of was fantastic for setup and everything ran so smoothly. It was the perfect place for us to have the reception and we have had so many compliments on how beautiful everything there was.

Reviewed on 7/12/2016 Melissa V

Soldiers and Sailors was the perfect location for our wedding! Amber and Aly were amazing and wonderful to work with and really allowed me to enjoy the planning process! The ceremony on the patio was beautiful and the ballroom was gorgeous! It was wonderful having everything... Read More in one location. Guests were amazed at how beautiful and large the ballroom was and shocked because no one knew it was there! Highly recommend having your wedding here!!!

Reviewed on 6/21/2016 Kelsey R

I am so glad I found Soldiers and Sailors. Not only is it a beautiful and convenient location, but Amber and Aly are FABULOUS. We knew we wanted a location within the city itself and were having trouble finding affordable and unique, interesting options. The minute we walked... Read More into Soldiers & Sailors we knew it was the right place. We had our ceremony and reception there, which was great for our guests. We planned on having the ceremony outside, but moved it inside because of heat. I loved how many options and the flexibility we had. And Amber and Aly are literally the greatest. I didn't have a wedding planner and was nervous about how the day of would actually go. It was FLAWLESS. Amber and Aly are true professionals and I had such a blast at my wedding - thanks to them. They were also great at communicating and answering questions leading up to the wedding. We could not be happier with our decision to get married at Soldiers & Sailors!

A truly beautiful place

Reviewed on 10/09/2015 Charnele Z

The ballroom reception area is a must-see for people considering soldiers and sailors for their reception. Pictures do not do it justice. It provides so much beauty that you can do without all that extra decorating. Plus, your guests get to enjoy the displays during cocktail... Read More hour/ waiting for reception to begin.

Reviewed on 9/22/2015 Sarah W

Soldiers and Sailors was absolutely fantastic. They worked with us untiringly to create the wedding of our dreams. The Grand Ballroom is just spectacular. Even without any decorations or centerpieces, the wedding would have been beautiful because the space is gorgeous. The... Read More balcony on the next floor circles around the entire ballroom and is a perfect addition to an already beautiful space. Amber worked with us untiringly. I'm very specific in my details and Amber was so accommodating and friendly. She went above and beyond to help me with everything I needed. The hall was set up exactly as we had discussed, everything we needed (down to a trash can for wet wipes) was placed where it was supposed to be. She made up alcohol sheets for our open bar (which I just thought was a lovely, unique touch) and made sure we had access to everything we needed to make our day special. We thought the price of the hall was very reasonable in comparison to other venues in the area, especially when you factor in the history and architecture. Soldiers and Sailors is, first and foremost, a museum. They left the exhibits open for our guests so that they could peruse them during cocktail hour, which was wonderful. It rained on our wedding day, but it didn't matter - Soldiers and Sailors is SO beautiful that all of our pictures were taken indoors and they turned out stunning. I would definitely recommend Soldiers and Sailors for your wedding! You won't be disappointed!

Such a classy location!

Reviewed on 11/24/2014 Amy Z

My husband and I were going for a "simple and classy" wedding theme and Soldier and Sailors really helped solidify it! They even gave us our name in a brick on their walkway!!! We had our cocktail hour and reception on the third floor ballroom. Working with Amber at S&S was... Read More such a nice experience! She worked closely with us right until the end to make sure the night was perfect! The ballroom there is absolutely beautiful!!

Perfect Wedding

Reviewed on 7/31/2014 Jennifer A

I have to say after looking at many different venues in and around the city. Soldiers and Sailors was by far the most beautiful, accommodating destination around. We had both the ceremony and reception at Soldiers and Sailors. The ceremony on the patio couldn't have been more... Read More perfect! We thought it may be noisy outside due to traffic but it definitely was not. The atmosphere, seating and organization were all perfect. As for the reception, I couldn't have asked for a better location! It is the most beautiful location for a wedding and the fact that guests could look around the museum is just a bonus. There was definitely no need to spend a lot on decorations because it is not needed. This is by far the best hidden gem around.

Flawless

Reviewed on 6/30/2013 Emily N

I could not have been happier with our selection of Soldiers and Sailors to host our wedding reception. Amber was amazing to work with throughout the process. The venue offered a unique atmosphere, that was important to us. Everyone was super helpful and friendly. Would... Read More recommend soldiers and sailors to anyone!

Stunningly beautiful

Reviewed on 4/29/2013 Nicole M

Soldiers & Sailors is by far one of the most beautiful landmarks in Pittsburgh. To be able to have our wedding there was a dream come true. Details: You pay for the rental of the space, you pay them for the bar, and then you have to choose from their list of caterers (there are... Read More 4 to choose from) This ended up being okay, because their caterers offer a nice range of budgets to choose from. We went with The Chef and I Catering who were AWESOME (they were the "value" caterer; but you wouldn't have known it by how great they were). You also have to use their preferred vendors for linens, lighting, chairs etc. (the caterer can also provide linens for a much more affordable price) We had to rebook our date and we did find that some things that we had agreed to on our first date "changed" once we rebooked. Bummer, but somewhat expected in the wedding business. My biggest complaint about the venue was the slowness in responses. We understood that they aren't exclusively a wedding venue (museum, concert venue, much more); and due to this, they probably don't work normal business days/hours... however it would take multiple days at a time to get simple answers for things. The caterer ended up being much more helpful in answering a lot of our questions. Some of the issues with changes and responsiveness left a bad taste in our mouth, however when push came to shove... this venue is beyond words in terms of beauty. We wanted a place that was reminiscent of the 20s and 30s; a backdrop that needed simple/elegant decor; a place that felt like you were stepping back in time. This is THE place. It was STUNNING. As one guest put it "I feel like I'm on the Titanic" (a good thing!) The days before the wedding, the SS team stepped up and we turned it out. They also were flexible on a few points and were extremely kind. The day of the wedding was perfection, which is what matters in the end!

Fantastic Pittsburgh Venue & Wonderful Location

Reviewed on 1/09/2013 Katy W

My wife and I loved our wedding at Soldiers and Sailors! It was top notch, the staff was fantastic, and we'd recommend them to anyone looking for a beautiful, well coordinated event. After the wedding, we even got a commemorative brick with our names on it placed in the... Read More walkway outside of the museum. First class all the way.

Beautiful Reception Venue

Reviewed on 10/14/2012 Darcy P

We hosted our wedding reception at Soldiers and Sailors on September 29th. Everything was beautiful there and Marjorie and Amber were very easy to work with. Marjorie responded to my emails quickly and were helpful in deciding caterers. We had a beautiful wedding there, I... Read More wouldn't have changed a thing.

fantastic

Reviewed on 9/25/2012 hillary h

working with soldiers and sailors was fantastic. From the very first meeting we had with Marjorie Henderson all the way up to the final days of the wedding, we really couldn't of asked for anything better. They were so helpful and very accommodating with pretty much everything... Read More that we needed. i would def recommend this venue for others in the future!

Beautiful location for wedding reception

Reviewed on 7/20/2012 Lori H

My daughter chose Soldiers and Sailors for her wedding reception and the venue was absolutely gorgeous and perfect!! Majorie and Amber are fabulous to work with and ensure that every detail is taken care of which makes for a worry free environment. They were very accomodating... Read More and exceeded all of our expectations.

Awesome!

Reviewed on 7/03/2012 Stephanie S

Soldiers and Sailors was a beautiful and wonderful venue for our reception. Amber was GREAT and very helpful!! She made sure everything was in order and was so easy to work with! She even switched shifts with someone to make sure she was there during our reception! I would... Read More definitely recommend Soldiers and Sailors to anyone!!

Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 10/06/2011 Breanne L

S&S Hall is beautiful inside and out and provided beautiful pictures. The rental fee is pretty pricey but you do get a Brick outside in the walkway as a gift. I was disappointed that the bartenders did not do a last call and just closed the bar with no notice. We brought our... Read More own alcohol but either way we should have been notified so we could have the DJ announce it to our guests. I bumped up the service to a 4 from a 3, due to the bar, becasue Marjorie and Amber at the hall were extremely nice and helpful.

Beware - Malfunctioning Air Conditioner

Reviewed on 8/10/2011 Ashley M

We held our wedding reception in late May 2011 at this location and were extremely disappointed with the lack of air conditioning and service of the bartenders. When looking for potential venues, we asked every facility if they had air conditioning. Soldiers and Sailors said... Read More they did and never mentioned there being any recent problems. However, the air conditioner was broken for the entire reception. My parents noticed right away before cocktail hour even began and brought it to the staff's attention. The staff had from 4:30 until 11:00pm to fix the problem and nothing was done to resolve the malfunctioning air conditioner. They kept saying they were "making some calls" or "working on it", but sure enough, we didn't have any A/C all night. Several of our guests kept asking about the A/C, especially when the dancing began. Watching our guests fan themselves all night and look uncomfortably hot and sweaty was greatly upsetting to us. We paid for a facility with air conditioning and that's exactly what we expected to have. We were also disappointed that they did not have more fans as a backup plan. They only had 1 small fan, which did nothing to cool down the large space. After our wedding, we began to talk to others about the A/C problem at Soldiers and Sailors, and sure enough, several people told us they had heard of similar stories where the A/C was not working properly during events held at Soldiers and Sailors throughout the past few years. We only wish we would have done that sooner, because we would have never selected them as our vendor. Clearly, other people had bad experiences with their lack of A/C, yet the staff never mentioned that during our initial visit. When asked point blank if they had air conditioning, they should have fessed up and explained that there had been issues in the past with different events. We felt it was very unprofessional to withhold this important detail of information. With the bartenders, we specifically asked that no shots be served at anytime to anyone and that the bars should be closed during dinner. Neither of these requests were followed. We found out later from Soldiers and Sailors that they had fired the one bartender because of her lack of following instructions. We wrote a formal letter complaining to Soldiers and Sailors about the various issues. We asked for a full refund, because of our extreme dissatisfaction and for feeling like they lied to us. They weren't very sympathetic and only refunded half of our facility rental fee. They didn't refund anything on the bartender fees. When you are paying a lot of money to host an event and then have to watch your guests squirm, leave early due to being overheated, or repeatedly inquire about the lack of air conditioning, it is frustrating and embarrassing. I would not recommend using Soldiers and Sailors for anything!

Awesome

Reviewed on 8/08/2011 Kerri B

Marjorie is amazing and will accomodate any needs. Reasonably priced too!

Beautiful venue!

Reviewed on 11/17/2010 Julie H

Soldiers and Sailors is an absolutely amazing venue... historical details, huge ballroom, just a really neat place overall! I absolutely loved it for our reception and would pick it again in an instant! A few points just to be aware of... There are older reviews that say... Read More everything is included - this is no longer the case. They have 4 caterers for you to choose from, and you get your alcohol from S&S. I found the people there to be helpful, but a tad disorganized at times (none of this came through at our actual event, thankfully). I was frustrated with a few details regarding the bar (they ran out of one type of wine during our cocktail hour!!!! we had paid for a 4.5 hour bar!!!). However they did take care of this and actually upgraded us to a better wine to replace the one that had run out. Their coordinator is soooo nice, but sometimes doesn't return phone calls or emails, so just stay on top of them. Again, the benefits outweigh the negatives, and it was just such a gorgeous, unique place!!!!

Perfect

Reviewed on 11/14/2010 Diana O

Absolutely perfect

Review for Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum

Reviewed on 5/10/2010 Stephanie Z

Soldiers and Sailors is such a beautiful location with character. We loved that it didn't look like a generic hotel ballroom. The huge floor made have a very large dance floor easy.

Review for Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum

Reviewed on 9/25/2007 Rachelle B

A planner is included in the cost, along with the caterer. Both were fabulous in helping plan. The food and service were impecable, it was catered by the Common Plea restaurant and I have yet to have better food at a wedding. Not to mention the venue is absolutely... Read More beautiful.;Beware of the hours...because it's a museum, security must be hired. So if you want to add time to your reception, you pay extra security by the hour.