On-site airbrush & traditional makeup artistry

5 year winner of "Best Of" The Knot, Joy and team provide on-site airbrush or traditional makeup artistry. You want to feel your best on your wedding day, let us make your dream a reality. Making Ohio beautiful for 6 years. Lashes, airbrush, and a custom to-go lip touch-up included!

Hair + Makeup Trials Available, Airbrushed Makeup, Eyelash Extensions, Makeup Artists, On-Site Hair + Makeup, Beauty

www.stateofface.com, Columbus, OH Available for travel (614) 296-0123

The best makeup artist in Columbus

Reviewed on 7/15/2013 Mikaela H

Joy is by far the best makeup artist in Columbus. She did my makeup, 5 bridesmaids,my mother, and mother in laws makeup. She did a FANTASTIC job on everyone's face. Everyone looked different from each other which is always nice because who wants to match all the time. My... Read More makeup was beyond what I expected. I loved my trial that I had with Joy about a month before my wedding but once I kept looking at the pic it wasn't what I really wanted. The day of my wedding I let Joy know that I wanted; more drastic and a different color eye shadow. Joy listened to what I wanted and did more! Everyone at my wedding loved my makeup. They kept telling me I looked like a model in a magazine which was wonderful to hear all night. My wedding was outside and it rained right before I went out. My makeup never messed up. My face never felt greasy. It was perfect till the end of the night before I had to wash it off:(Joy is such a great makeup artist and person; she listens, takes pride in her work, and made me look like a princess!!!!

Reviewed on 2/27/2017 Hilary M

I'd worked with Joy previously for head shots at my company and knew I wanted to work with her again for my wedding day makeup. We did a consultation about a month before at her home and I had so much fun it felt like I was hanging out with one of my girlfriends. Joy listened... Read More to what I wanted and created a look that was exactly what I had in mind. When my wedding day came, I'll never forget how I felt looking in the mirror with my makeup done perfectly. Joy also did my bridesmaids, mother, and mother-in-laws makeup and listened to what they wanted and created a look that was unique to each of them. My mother-in-law doesn't typically wear a lot of makeup and was worried about not looking like herself. Joy listened to her concerns and I know my mother-in-law was thrilled with her makeup! Thank you Joy for your attention to detail and for being all around awesome at what you do!

Reviewed on 9/12/2015

I cannot say enough good things about Joy from State of Face Artistry! She is such a talented artist, very professional, kind, and it was simply a joy to have her part of our special day. I did a trial with her about 8 months before and she worked with me to give me the exact... Read More look I wanted. I do not wear very much makeup and was nervous about airbrush and false lashes and all I can say is: if Joy says it will look good, DO IT! I had a small touch-up with her before the ceremony, but other than that my makeup was flawless until 2 am! Whatever look you want for your special day, Joy can make it happen and it will look better than you ever could have imagined.

Reviewed on 5/19/2017 Simone S

I loved working with Joy. She has a great personality, is polite, professional and fun! And she made me feel absolutely beautiful for my wedding day. I was a bit worried about my wedding day makeup as on the day-to-day I hardly wear any makeup at all... and it was important to... Read More me that I feel like myself, but I also wanted to feel special and more done up! Joy took my requests and delivered exceptionally. I loved my makeup and she also listened to my bridesmaids', mother's and mother in law's requests and make them look beautiful as well. Thank you Joy!

Reviewed on 5/13/2017 Katie R

Joy was an absolute pleasure to work with. She accommodated everyone's wishes and truly made everyone look natural and stunning. I could not be happier with my choice to use her makeup services for my wedding! I highly recommend her!

Reviewed on 3/02/2017 Danielle A

Joy applied my makeup for my engagement photo session beautifully. Her personality and warmth made me feel at ease in her makeup chair. The makeup stood up to the heat of the day, the melting sunshine, and all my smiling. :)

Reviewed on 2/14/2017 Ashlee M

I hesitated to write a review, since I did not actually use her services, but I did not want her kindness to go unnoticed. I reached out to Joy for my big day, and unfortunately she was already completely booked. Not only did she respond to me immediately, but she actually... Read More continued to help me locate another artist who had my day available and put me in contact with her. EXCELLENT customer service.

Reviewed on 2/13/2017 Jessica H

Joy was so wonderful, and made me look so beautiful, both for my engagement photos, my bridal shower, AND my wedding. She is fabulous at what she does, and is so sweet and kind and bubbly. She was flexible and willing to let me add a touchup last minute to the schedule. I would... Read More definitely recommend her to anyone who needs makeup done. I know I am keeping her number handy for the future myself!

Reviewed on 2/06/2017 Maggie F

Joy did make up for my New Years Eve wedding and I can't say enough nice things about her and her company. Joy is so accommodating--she squeezed our wedding into her schedule totally last minute after a trial run with another Columbus traveling beauty team was less than... Read More impressive. She is so creative and totally got the vibe I was going for. She was great with my bridesmaids, and made my mom feel beautiful. If you're lucky enough to fit into Joy's schedule, you will be one stunning bride!

Reviewed on 12/16/2016 Haley S

Joy and her assistant were simply AMAZING to work with! From the very beginning she was incredibly responsive, professional, and accommodating. She listened to each person and individualized their makeup to their personality and requests. I felt flawless the entire night and... Read More could not have been more grateful for her time and creative hand! Above all, she truly is a magnificent person, was a breeze to work with, and is INSANELY talented!! She's your girl!

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Andrea D

This review may be biased because I feel like Joy and I are kindred spirits. As soon as I met her, I felt so comfortable. She is such a cool person! I told her I was from a small town called Enon, and she knew a band called Enon and played their music during my trial! The other... Read More artist she brought to help my bridal party get ready was also wonderful. I think her name was Jenny. We were running a bit behind schedule but Joy never made me feel rushed. On the contrary, she made me feel like a queen! She is so kind and professional. If I ever need makeup done for a special event, I will definitely be calling Joy.

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Rima K

Joy was great to work with! Once she was able to get a handle on the shape of my eye, she absolutely nailed it! I went for a makeup trial several months before my wedding and she was very receptive to my ideas or changes that I wanted to make. I had a combined Indian and... Read More American wedding, so I had 4 different outfits and 3 different makeup looks. I was so happy with every single look, but I have to say she really showed her skills the morning of the wedding when she created a look that was versatile and worked for both Indian and American ceremonies (and 2 different outfits)! Absolutely great work!!!!

2016-08-31T15:27:59 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Rima. I am so glad we did a trial, so I could look at photos and see what I wanted to adjust to suit you best. Glad you were happy with the looks! Your ceremony and reception looks were both so fun to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Christine L

Joy was the best vendor of my whole wedding day! Since I don't normally wear make up, I was hesitant about looking too overdone. I could not have been happier about how flawless and natural my face looked in person and in photos. My sister in laws were bridesmaids and they all... Read More agreed Joy was the best make up they had ever had done (including their own weddings). Thank you Joy! :-)

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Stephanie L

Joy did an amazing job with my makeup and my bridesmaid's makeup. It lasted all day through rain and humidity. She is so sweet and easy to get along with. You tell her what look you want and she nails it perfectly.

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Bianca W

Joy was the absolute best! She accommodated all of my girls perfectly, for my July wedding! Everyone was so impressed and felt fairytale beautiful!! Joy is a once in a lifetime artist! I would recommend her to everyone!!

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Lindsay J

Incredible makeup artist with a vibrant and fun personality. We worked with Joy for our May 2016 wedding and she was a joy to work with! I was nervous about my makeup application initially but Joy immediately made me feel comfortable and my makeup as well as my 5 bridesmaid's... Read More makeup looked amazing. All of my bridesmaids said this was the best wedding makeup they've ever had done. I cannot recommend Joy enough!!! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed on 5/11/2016 Jennifer M

Joy was awesome!! My bridesmaids opted not to get their makeup done but Joy was great and squeezed me in before a big wedding party that she had that day if I was able to go to her studio (which was right by my venue). My makeup looked great! I had to go pretty early in the... Read More morning and it stayed perfect all day, even with the rain. She gave me a lip kit and glue for my eyelashes which made me feel better about the early appointment. Used the lip kit a couple times and didn't need the eyelash glue at all (but was glad to have it)

Reviewed on 1/13/2016 Neil K

State of Face did an amazing job! Everyone looked great on our big day. They were professional and easy to work with and collaborated with the bride and bridesmaids to make them look how they wanted to look. We would definitely recommend them to others.

Reviewed on 12/18/2015 Lauren W

Joy is the best! BOOK her right away!! She brings out the best features and makes you look like a model. I had no idea I could look so beautiful! I read reviews on The Knot and she was also highly recommended by a great hairstylist (Shannon Goode) they are an excellent... Read More pair! I used her services for both my engagement shoot and wedding/wedding party. Everyone looked incredible!

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Amy B

When I first met Joy during my trial we quickly bonded over our love for dogs. I showed her pictures of looks I liked and through the trial I quickly realized that was not the look for me, thank goodness for trials. We tweaked the look and the end result was beautiful. All of my... Read More bridesmaids raved about their make-up and how much they liked it which says A LOT because a few of them complained about past experiences of having their make-up professionally done and not liking it. One of my bridesmaids even said the day of her wedding her make-up artist made her cry she disliked her make-up so much and had to redo it all herself, but she loved the look Joy gave her :) The airbrush make-up that she used gave me a flawless look the whole day. She also gave me extra lip color to touch up throughout the day which was amazing! I wasn’t feeling very well while getting ready that morning and was upset that I wasn’t feeling 100% on my special day. When it was my turn for my make-up things in the hotel suite were getting a bit chaotic with all of the vendors showing up and extra family around. Joy took charge and asked everyone to go into the attached room, she changed the music to something relaxing, and let me close my eyes and try to relax. I appreciated her doing this and it really helped me to feel better. My flower girl was not getting make-up done but witnessed me getting my make-up done and was really intrigued by the whole process. She is only 3 so mom did not want her having her make-up done, but Joy offered “princess lip gloss” and she just LOVED this. It was so adorable. Thank you Joy for making us all look and feel beautiful!

Reviewed on 10/25/2015 Meredith H

Joy is the most talented (and reasonably priced) makeup artist in Columbus so book her for your event NOW! I had numerous friends use Joy for their weddings so it was a no brainer for me to book her for my wedding (I actually contacted her before we even had the date nailed... Read More down). Joy is very professional and extremely gifted. She listened to what I wanted and nailed it on the first time, ensuring my makeup looked natural, which was extremely important to me as I typically don’t wear much (if any) makeup. Thank you Joy for making me look flawless on my special day…I have never felt so beautiful!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

Joy knows her stuff so well and listens to what each person is really looking for. She will make you feel comfortable and soothed and bring out your most beautiful features. It's not only about the end product but Joy makes the whole experience wonderful. She is super... Read More professional and really fun. Great energy and smile!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

Joy is AMAZING! Her work is top-notch and she is so nice to work with. She helped me with makeup for professional head shots, and I looked great and had a wonderful time. Would definitely recommend!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Sarah B

Joy has done my makeup multiple times as a bridesmaid and most recently on my wedding day! When it came to my wedding makeup there was no question who I wanted to do it! Joy has a way of making you feel so comfortable and special. She's so sweet and treats you like she's known... Read More you her life. That's just a bonus because she is so talented!!! I felt absolutely flawless on my big day and cannot thank her enough. She did my makeup as well as my mothers and 8 bridesmaids and we all looked flawless. She is professional, prepared and by far the most talented makeup artist I have ever been to!!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

Joy was easy to work with and very professional -- my whole bridal party enjoyed working with her and I'm so glad she was part of my day!

Joy Macke

With a degree in Theatre, a background in boutique cosmetics and artistry training, Joy has a passion for all things makeup. She has been an artist for over a decade and her business has grown to include much more than weddings. She teaches lessons, does commercials, video/tv, and makeup for many local photographers and production companies. Weddings remain her favorite and she attempts to do as many as 75 a year by being organized, efficient and making her business a priority.