On-site airbrush & traditional makeup artistry

5 year winner of "Best Of" The Knot, Joy and team provide on-site airbrush or traditional makeup artistry. You want to feel your best on your wedding day, let us make your dream a reality. Making Ohio beautiful for 6 years. Lashes, airbrush, and a custom to-go lip touch-up included!

Hair + Makeup Trials Available, Airbrushed Makeup, Eyelash Extensions, Makeup Artists, On-Site Hair + Makeup, Beauty

www.stateofface.com, Columbus, OH Available for travel (614) 296-0123

The best makeup artist in Columbus

Reviewed on 7/15/2013 Mikaela H

Joy is by far the best makeup artist in Columbus. She did my makeup, 5 bridesmaids,my mother, and mother in laws makeup. She did a FANTASTIC job on everyone's face. Everyone looked different from each other which is always nice because who wants to match all the time. My... Read More makeup was beyond what I expected. I loved my trial that I had with Joy about a month before my wedding but once I kept looking at the pic it wasn't what I really wanted. The day of my wedding I let Joy know that I wanted; more drastic and a different color eye shadow. Joy listened to what I wanted and did more! Everyone at my wedding loved my makeup. They kept telling me I looked like a model in a magazine which was wonderful to hear all night. My wedding was outside and it rained right before I went out. My makeup never messed up. My face never felt greasy. It was perfect till the end of the night before I had to wash it off:(Joy is such a great makeup artist and person; she listens, takes pride in her work, and made me look like a princess!!!!

Reviewed on 2/27/2017 Hilary M

I'd worked with Joy previously for head shots at my company and knew I wanted to work with her again for my wedding day makeup. We did a consultation about a month before at her home and I had so much fun it felt like I was hanging out with one of my girlfriends. Joy listened... Read More to what I wanted and created a look that was exactly what I had in mind. When my wedding day came, I'll never forget how I felt looking in the mirror with my makeup done perfectly. Joy also did my bridesmaids, mother, and mother-in-laws makeup and listened to what they wanted and created a look that was unique to each of them. My mother-in-law doesn't typically wear a lot of makeup and was worried about not looking like herself. Joy listened to her concerns and I know my mother-in-law was thrilled with her makeup! Thank you Joy for your attention to detail and for being all around awesome at what you do!

Reviewed on 9/12/2015

I cannot say enough good things about Joy from State of Face Artistry! She is such a talented artist, very professional, kind, and it was simply a joy to have her part of our special day. I did a trial with her about 8 months before and she worked with me to give me the exact... Read More look I wanted. I do not wear very much makeup and was nervous about airbrush and false lashes and all I can say is: if Joy says it will look good, DO IT! I had a small touch-up with her before the ceremony, but other than that my makeup was flawless until 2 am! Whatever look you want for your special day, Joy can make it happen and it will look better than you ever could have imagined.

Reviewed on 9/17/2017 Jordan D

Joy was so awesome to work with. She made my bridesmaids and I look flawless. The makeup just popped in all of our pictures. She was even kind enough to let us add on two extra girls last minute. Getting professional makeup done with the right artist is so worth the money for... Read More your wedding day.

Reviewed on 8/12/2017 Julie Z

Joy was so much fun to work with! She responded so quickly to all emails and questions and was willing to travel to our location and help us get ready in a hotel. She is so good at what she does and all of my bridesmaids looked so stunning in their makeup! She is a true... Read More professional and so nice and fun. She helped make our morning getting ready to be very relaxing and a lot of fun! I would strongly recommend Joy and State of Face Artistry!

Reviewed on 7/22/2017 Teddi J

Joy is an amazing makeup artist. I absolutely loved how my makeup turned out on the day of my wedding, and the bridesmaids were stunning. Joy is so nice and listened to everything I wanted. I would recommend doing the trial too - I never knew false eye lashes came in different... Read More sizes (and that I would be an extra small), so was very glad to have done the trial prior to the big day! I would highly recommend Joy, she is wonderful!

Reviewed on 7/22/2017 Gina V

Joy was a pleasure to work with for my wedding in July. She completed 3 looks and brought a second artist (by request due to time allotted) to complete the other 3 looks. Everyone looked fantastic with their natural beauty highlighted! Both artists were really great and I... Read More would use them again in a heartbeat.

Reviewed on 7/13/2017 Kelly L

Joy was great! She came to our hotel the morning of the wedding, she finished everyone's makeup before our photographer arrived, and everyone looked great. Even after some tears and sweat, my makeup still looked great at the end of the night. Thanks so much, Joy!

Reviewed on 6/21/2017 Emilee B

Joy was amazing throughout the whole process. I knew I wanted her to be my makeup artist after she did my sister-in-laws makeup on her wedding day, 3 years before mine! She did not disappoint. She knew my crew would take a while so she had another artist come with her to help.... Read More My makeup was perfect and lasted the whole night, even through all the dancing!! Joy, thank you for contributing to my "best day ever."

Reviewed on 6/18/2017 Georgianne M

Joy did an amazing job on the day of! She came on time and worked straight for several hours to get all 10 guests in my party done before the time we had to head to the venue. She was so friendly and willing to fix, adjust or help with makeup in anyway she can! It was an... Read More added bonus that she was able to come to us and make the day run more smoothly.

Reviewed on 5/31/2017 Samantha R

Joy was an absolute dream! I initially had a trial session for my engagement photos last spring and loved it! Joy provided makeup services for myself and my bridesmaids on 5/13/17 and everyone LOVED how they looked! So much in fact that my sister booked her for her Cleveland... Read More wedding next June! I would recommend Joy in a heartbeat. Thank you so much for making me feel so wonderful on our wedding day. Looking forward to seeing you in the future!

Reviewed on 5/19/2017 Simone S

I loved working with Joy. She has a great personality, is polite, professional and fun! And she made me feel absolutely beautiful for my wedding day. I was a bit worried about my wedding day makeup as on the day-to-day I hardly wear any makeup at all... and it was important to... Read More me that I feel like myself, but I also wanted to feel special and more done up! Joy took my requests and delivered exceptionally. I loved my makeup and she also listened to my bridesmaids', mother's and mother in law's requests and make them look beautiful as well. Thank you Joy!

Reviewed on 5/13/2017 Katie R

Joy was an absolute pleasure to work with. She accommodated everyone's wishes and truly made everyone look natural and stunning. I could not be happier with my choice to use her makeup services for my wedding! I highly recommend her!

Reviewed on 3/02/2017 Danielle A

Joy applied my makeup for my engagement photo session beautifully. Her personality and warmth made me feel at ease in her makeup chair. The makeup stood up to the heat of the day, the melting sunshine, and all my smiling. :)

Reviewed on 2/14/2017 Ashlee M

I hesitated to write a review, since I did not actually use her services, but I did not want her kindness to go unnoticed. I reached out to Joy for my big day, and unfortunately she was already completely booked. Not only did she respond to me immediately, but she actually... Read More continued to help me locate another artist who had my day available and put me in contact with her. EXCELLENT customer service.

Reviewed on 2/13/2017 Jessica H

Joy was so wonderful, and made me look so beautiful, both for my engagement photos, my bridal shower, AND my wedding. She is fabulous at what she does, and is so sweet and kind and bubbly. She was flexible and willing to let me add a touchup last minute to the schedule. I would... Read More definitely recommend her to anyone who needs makeup done. I know I am keeping her number handy for the future myself!

Reviewed on 2/06/2017 Maggie F

Joy did make up for my New Years Eve wedding and I can't say enough nice things about her and her company. Joy is so accommodating--she squeezed our wedding into her schedule totally last minute after a trial run with another Columbus traveling beauty team was less than... Read More impressive. She is so creative and totally got the vibe I was going for. She was great with my bridesmaids, and made my mom feel beautiful. If you're lucky enough to fit into Joy's schedule, you will be one stunning bride!

Reviewed on 12/16/2016 Haley S

Joy and her assistant were simply AMAZING to work with! From the very beginning she was incredibly responsive, professional, and accommodating. She listened to each person and individualized their makeup to their personality and requests. I felt flawless the entire night and... Read More could not have been more grateful for her time and creative hand! Above all, she truly is a magnificent person, was a breeze to work with, and is INSANELY talented!! She's your girl!

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Andrea D

This review may be biased because I feel like Joy and I are kindred spirits. As soon as I met her, I felt so comfortable. She is such a cool person! I told her I was from a small town called Enon, and she knew a band called Enon and played their music during my trial! The other... Read More artist she brought to help my bridal party get ready was also wonderful. I think her name was Jenny. We were running a bit behind schedule but Joy never made me feel rushed. On the contrary, she made me feel like a queen! She is so kind and professional. If I ever need makeup done for a special event, I will definitely be calling Joy.

Reviewed on 8/31/2016 Rima K

Joy was great to work with! Once she was able to get a handle on the shape of my eye, she absolutely nailed it! I went for a makeup trial several months before my wedding and she was very receptive to my ideas or changes that I wanted to make. I had a combined Indian and... Read More American wedding, so I had 4 different outfits and 3 different makeup looks. I was so happy with every single look, but I have to say she really showed her skills the morning of the wedding when she created a look that was versatile and worked for both Indian and American ceremonies (and 2 different outfits)! Absolutely great work!!!!

2016-08-31T15:27:59 Response from the vendor

Thank you, Rima. I am so glad we did a trial, so I could look at photos and see what I wanted to adjust to suit you best. Glad you were happy with the looks! Your ceremony and reception looks were both so fun to... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Christine L

Joy was the best vendor of my whole wedding day! Since I don't normally wear make up, I was hesitant about looking too overdone. I could not have been happier about how flawless and natural my face looked in person and in photos. My sister in laws were bridesmaids and they all... Read More agreed Joy was the best make up they had ever had done (including their own weddings). Thank you Joy! :-)

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Stephanie L

Joy did an amazing job with my makeup and my bridesmaid's makeup. It lasted all day through rain and humidity. She is so sweet and easy to get along with. You tell her what look you want and she nails it perfectly.

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Bianca W

Joy was the absolute best! She accommodated all of my girls perfectly, for my July wedding! Everyone was so impressed and felt fairytale beautiful!! Joy is a once in a lifetime artist! I would recommend her to everyone!!

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Lindsay J

Incredible makeup artist with a vibrant and fun personality. We worked with Joy for our May 2016 wedding and she was a joy to work with! I was nervous about my makeup application initially but Joy immediately made me feel comfortable and my makeup as well as my 5 bridesmaid's... Read More makeup looked amazing. All of my bridesmaids said this was the best wedding makeup they've ever had done. I cannot recommend Joy enough!!! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed on 5/11/2016 Jennifer M

Joy was awesome!! My bridesmaids opted not to get their makeup done but Joy was great and squeezed me in before a big wedding party that she had that day if I was able to go to her studio (which was right by my venue). My makeup looked great! I had to go pretty early in the... Read More morning and it stayed perfect all day, even with the rain. She gave me a lip kit and glue for my eyelashes which made me feel better about the early appointment. Used the lip kit a couple times and didn't need the eyelash glue at all (but was glad to have it)

Joy Macke

With a degree in Theatre, a background in boutique cosmetics and artistry training, Joy has a passion for all things makeup. She has been an artist for over a decade and her business has grown to include much more than weddings. She teaches lessons, does commercials, video/tv, and makeup for many local photographers and production companies. Weddings remain her favorite and she attempts to do as many as 75 a year by being organized, efficient and making her business a priority.