The Mill at Fine Creek

Powhatan, VA

Book Your Wedding with The Mill at Fine Creek

A BALLROOM IN POWHATAN, VA

Located in Powhatan, Virginia, The Mill at Fine Creek is an exclusive full-service wedding venue that is unlike any other. Located in the historic Fine Creek Mills Historic District, the venue covers more than 10 acres and offers privacy in an expansive area for weddings for more than 225 guests. The area was settled in the 1730s and President Thomas Jefferson's grandfather had a house on the property. With staff and event coordinators who come highly recommended, couples can rest assured that their wedding details will be taken care of with care and professionalism. For those seeking a private oasis that is both unique and convenient, The Mill at Fine Creek is an excellent option.

Main Room. The space is ideal for wedding receptions, but can be used for indoor ceremonies. With high ceilings and inlaid lighting with cream walls, it offers a simple elegance. The space has a permanent bar, dance floor and patio. It can accommodate up to 225 guests.

Flagstones. The flagstones offer a unique outdoor ceremony venue that is enclosed by tall stone walls. There is shrubbery on the wall and along the ground, which adds pops of bright green against the tan stones. The space can be lit up at night with twinkle lights for a truly magical setting.

The Lawn. Adjacent to the flagstones, couples can opt to hold their ceremony on the lawn. With the beautiful stone structures in the background along with towering trees, the space is airy and unique.

The Patio. On the other side of the flagstones, there is a concrete patio area that can be used for outdoor weddings. With beautiful trees and shrubbery, as well as part of the flagstone as the backdrop, the space offers a memorable space to exchange your vows.

The Mill at Fine Creek offers a list of preferred vendors, but allows any outside vendors including the day-of coordinators. Catering can be provided on-site by chefs who create menus from scratch. Some of the vegetables and herbs are harvested at the venue for a farm-to-table food experience. For drinks, guests can enjoy a full bar, along with the option for outdoor bars and specialty drink stations.

The venue rental can include the following:

• Groom's cottage
  • Votives
  • Glassware
  • Dinnerware
  • Linens

The Mill at Fine Creek offers several extra perks. The space is only available to one wedding at a time, so couples and their guests can enjoy a private celebration. The venue's expansive 10 acres of space also offers many outstanding wedding photo opportunities. They offer on-site stylists as well.

An enchanting setting for your special day!

The Mill at Fine Creek is a unique reception venue meticulously designed to fulfill all the details of your wedding-day dreams. Located in an historic district on the site of an 18th-century mill, our modern facility blends new-world capabilities with old-world charm. The Mill's Guest Cottages also provide nearby overnight accommodations for wedding party, family, and guests attending your wedding ceremony and reception.

Ballroom, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment, Service Staff

Bow2010

2434 Robert E Lee Road, Powhatan, VA (804) 379-8211

Reviewed on 6/13/2017 Leah A

My husband and I recently had our June Wedding at The Mill, although our experience with them started over a year ago when we booked our venue. I had done extensive research in the Washington D.C. and surrounding areas looking for a venue that gave 10+ hours of time at the... Read More venue and had the ability to also have an outdoor ceremony, was all-inclusive, and had a certain je ne sais quoi factor. I decided to only tour those places, and The Mill was the first venue we went to. When we toured, there was another wedding upstairs (private access starts at 11am) and I met with one of the coordinators who toured me around the venue. I remember we booked right away because we loved the grounds, the ceremony sites (they will completely turn the inside around for "Plan D" rain plan) which was very important to us. We loved that there were cottages on site that my parents and I stayed in the night before the wedding, and several of or wedding guests appreciated the no shuttling! Our guests also took advantage of the new brewery up the street, and it was a great way to keep people and family entertained prior to the wedding itself. The day of the wedding, everything was seamless. I proceeded to the upstairs bridal suite, where there were cookies and mimosas waiting! The boys got ready in the Miller's cottage. The ability to start our day early was crucial for pictures. The coordinators Stephanie and Colleen helped our other vendors (dessert, photo booth, photography, videography) set up and took care of them all day. The coordinators were so amazing, welcoming and directing guests to the ceremony and herding the bridal party. We were thankfully blessed with amazing weather and had the most perfect ceremony! Following, the venue passed out sangria to all our guests and they meandered to cocktail hour and the bar while we took our pictures. My father, who is gluten-free and hard to impress, was approached by multiple staff members with gluten-free options of the passed hors d'oeuvres. Two of our other GF guests reported similar experiences. Not to mention that the food was amazing, even better than what I remember eating at our tasting! Yet perhaps the best review I can give is the fact that our day went by way too fast... we and our guests had so much fun and wanted for nothing. By our send-off we wanted to keep it going! My husband and I retired to the Miller's cottage which is next door to the venue, which was an easy way to put all the decorations from the wedding so you did not need to clean immediately after the ceremony. Then, we opened a bottle of prosecco from the venue. You will not be dissatisfied with The Mill! Everything is first class and done with attention to detail. Thank you, Mill, for giving us the wedding of our dreams!

Reviewed on 3/18/2017 Kristal W

Where do we even begin? The team at The Mill is absolutely outstanding. Planning a wedding is a huge job (especially in less than three months) but The Mill makes it a piece of cake. Not only did they guide us through every detail and keep lines of communications open with... Read More all of our vendors but every recommendation they made was spot on. From the very first visit to the last minute of our reception, we felt like everything was well taken care of and didn't have a single worry. The natural grounds and setting is absolutely breathtaking. We loved the opportunity to sneak in some private photos down by the creek at sunset. Oh and let's not forget the cuisine. Our guests are still raving about how tasty the food was. The customized menu was a nice touch and everything from the signature cocktail to the flatbreads to the tiramisu was delightful! Even our gluten free guests were extremely pleased with not only their meals but the care that the team took to serve them something similar without making a big deal out of it. If you are looking for a beautiful setting that allows great flexibility for your ceremony/reception with a staff that "gets it" and will take the stress out of your wedding day - look no further!

Reviewed on 9/06/2016 Rita M

The Mill at Fine Creek in Powhatan, VA, more than exceeded our expectations (and we had very high expectations)! Our daughter's wedding was held at the Mill at Fine Creek on Thursday, 18 August 2016. When we first met with Lisa , the proprietor and chef, in February 2016, we... Read More were impressed with her style and what the venue offered. My daughter and her fiance had visited other venues in VA prior to The Mill, and none of them held a candle to The Mill. From the minute we walked in the door, we knew that The Mill was going to be the one. The tasting we attended shortly thereafter sealed the deal. Without the luxury of too much time to plan our daughter's wedding (plus we live out of state in NC), it was a relief knowing that we were dealing with pros who are very knowledgeable and accommodating - from food choices (guests who are gluten-free, vegetarian), to organization. Our Wedding Coordinator, Colleen, was phenomenal. She was very organized and quickly addressed any questions we would have during the planning process. On the wedding day, Colleen, Stephanie, and other staff were there to make sure everything ran smoothly. They even helped me gather up all of our decorations after the reception ended - up through Midnight! We were fortunate to have good weather, so the ceremony was held in the lovely "ruins," which is a former gristmill. The extensive grounds were a wonderful backdrop for all the photos and for guests to wander through. The entire experience was magical! About the food ... my husband and I are native-born Italians, so food is extremely important to us and to our family. Not only is the taste important, the way it is prepared and presented are just as important. Lisa, who is the head chef, delivered as promised! Everyone raved about the appetizers and dinner course. You could tell that the food was prepared by individuals who truly love their profession and care about their clientele. I only wish I had another child who is getting married so that we could do it all over again at The Mill!

Reviewed on 11/21/2017 Brooke R

The Mill at Fine Creek is an absolutely breathtaking venue that provides couples everything they could possibly need on their wedding day. We fell in love with the venue the first time we stepped foot on the grounds. The ruins are romantic and the grounds provide a timeless... Read More background for all of your pictures. While the food is pricey, it is incredible!! After our wedding, several guests contacted us raving about the food and even shared that they have tried to create the dishes at home. The best part about this venue is that everything you could possibly need is one place. Our guests were able to stay in the beautiful cottages (think Fixer-Upper adorable) and enjoy the brewery while being only steps away from the venue. This was perfect for our heavy drinkers and out-of-town guests. In addition, it was so nice being able to have several rooms to get ready in, while having a vantage point of the reception space. The cottage for the groomsmen is wonderful as well! The on-site coordinating is also extremely helpful. While it is a bit pricey, I did find Colleen to be an invaluable resource the day of the wedding and the weeks leading up to it as well. Even when our officiant fell ill the day before, Colleen graciously stepped-up and made sure our rehearsal went smoothly. She easily navigated tricky family dynamics and eased my anxiety over our extremely humid and rainy weather. The only reason I wouldn't give the Mill 5 stars is because of the cost. While the venue does provide everything you could need, I do think it is overpriced. The food, drink, and coordinating taxes alone may make you swoon. And while I loved getting married in the ruins, the venue fee is a bit too steep in my opinion. That being said, you will NOT find a venue that comes close to the Mill!

Reviewed on 11/14/2017 Tara B

I honestly cannot say enough good things about the Mill. From the first minute we visited, Colleen, Lisa, and Stephanie were 100% on top of everything. They were accommodating and communicative and extremely pleasant and receptive to our ideas and questions. Our guests RAVED... Read More about the food and at least 90% of our guests made a point of telling us that it was hands down the best wedding food they had ever had. Not only was everything delicious, it was different from the wedding food norm - Lisa sits down with the bride and groom and hand selects each item and cultivates the menu personally, so it is unique and reflects each couple's personal tastes. Our guests also raved about the location - I don't think anybody had been to the property before and they were blown away with how distinct and beautiful it was. I keep using the word unique because it is honestly the best way to describe the Mill. The property is extremely unique and so different from any other venue I have ever been to. There are tons of cute places for guests to explore and the property makes for great photos. We also lucked out because the cottages on property were ready for our wedding. They were AMAZING - each is super cute and beautiful and so much more special than a hotel. There are only 13, but they range from 1 to 3 bedroom cottages, so there is room for a lot of guests. It was so nice to be able to walk over to the cottages after the wedding and be able to spend some extra time with our friends in such a gorgeous environment. To top it off, breakfast in the morning at the cottages is amazing, all of our guests were blown away. The general store provides adorable picnic baskets filled with delicious breakfast. It was honestly the perfect wedding. The last thing to reiterate and really drive home is how great the service was. Our wedding party was sort of a mess. As our photographer said, it was like he was herding cats, and that is an honest and appropriate description. it would have been easy to be annoyed with us, but the staff remained calm and patient and unruffled by us. They helped keep things on track when they should have gone off the rails on more than a dozen occasions. Colleen was great throughout the planning process and was extremely responsive and helpful. Stephanie was our day of coordinator and was honestly immaculate. She was helpful and upbeat and positive, but also kept everything on track and remained focused and attentive. She was friendly and personable and we really felt like we could not have asked for a better person to help facilitate things on our wedding day. She is genuinely the most amazing wedding coordinator I could have asked for and no independent wedding planner out there could have done even a quarter of as good a job as she did. And Lisa's food alone makes the whole venue worthwhile, but she herself is friendly and open and warm and is the most amazing chef in the world. The entire day was magic and we loved every minute of it. Every detail was planned out and they thought of everything, including making sure we ate and having plates ready for us in the groom's cottage after the wedding. The entire operation is flawless, honestly.

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Sarah C

We got married at the Mill last week and it couldn't have been more perfect. It was a dreamy, effortless wedding and a day we'll treasure for the rest of our lives. This team is sharp!! Everything ran smoothly from start to finish. The guests are still raving about the venue,... Read More food and atmosphere. I can't say enough positive things about this place- you're in for THE perfect wedding day at The Mill at Fine Creek.

Reviewed on 10/06/2017 Melissa R

What an incredible venue! My daughter had her wedding here in September 2017. The ruins and reception venue were so beautiful. The entire Mill team was just amazing. They are so organized and have all aspects- from the planning, tasting event, rehearsal, to the ceremony- down... Read More to perfection. The cottage for the men and upstairs prep room for the ladies were a great bonus and worked so well for us. They offer an extensive menu selection and work with the bride and groom to develop a menu that is a reflection of their personalities. The food was absolutely delicious! (I am still getting remarks from our guests that the Seabass was so die for.) The staff connects well with the other vendors and brings it all together. What wonderful memories we have of such a perfect day! Thank you to all at The Mill!!

Reviewed on 10/03/2017 Jennifer D

I could not have asked for a better wedding experience. My favorite thing about the Mill is the grounds itself. I would have been happy if everything else was just mediocre. Fortunately the staff went above and beyond to ensure the food and accommodations were perfect as... Read More well. The Mill at Fine Creek was the first venue I toured and I fell in love with it right away. The venue itself is beautiful. I love the woodsy vibe and I especially love the rustic look of the ruins. The sound of the creek flowing in the background provides a calming ambiance. Having the whole area to ourselves on our wedding day made our wedding so much more personal. Even driving to the Mill is a pleasant experience, traveling through country roads full of natural beauty. Walking onto the grounds feels like walking into another world. It is a small, wooded oasis that is not too far from civilization. Despite the heavy outdoor vibe, there is a lot of indoor space as well. The reception area is inside and is nicely decorated. There are also cottages available for the bridal parties right next to the reception area along with 11 additional cottages on site for wedding guests to rent. I looked at a couple other venues after touring the Mill but it didn't take me long to circle back. At first I wanted something a little cheaper. Instead I found myself touring a venue I didn't even like that would have cost us double. I think that was what made the sale for me. The staff at the Mill was very helpful and professional. They kept to their promises and did everything they could to make our day as perfect as possible. My friends and family are still raving about the wedding. A few guests told me it was the best wedding they had ever attended. Thank you for a wonderful experience.

Reviewed on 9/21/2017 Jordan W

I cannot say enough good things about The Mill at Fine Creek. Colleen and her staff were fantastic, very accommodating and communicative. We never had a question go unanswered, and all questions were answered promptly. The food was amazing, I couldn't imagine having our wedding... Read More anywhere else. We didn't worry about one thing the day of the wedding, due to Colleen and her staff being so attentive. I highly suggest The Mill at Fine Creek for your wedding!

Reviewed on 9/20/2017 Erika J

What a FANTASTIC venue! We absolutely loved our experience working with the staff at The Mill at Fine Creek. The venue itself is incredible, no matter the season. We visited many times in the year leading up to our wedding and the views and alluring landscape never failed to... Read More take my breath away. We were looking for a venue that really encompassed everything, and The Mill did just that and more. To say the food was gourmet, is the understatement of the year. Although simple and not overdone each item was 'the best I ever had' good. Lisa and her staff are so passionate about what they do and it shows in every fine detail they have created. Listening to Lisa talk about the process she went through just to pick out the right sheets for the cottages will tell you everything you need to know about what careful thought and consideration has gone into every element. 100% recommend!

Reviewed on 9/11/2017 Christin N

I recommend The Mill to anyone and everyone! They were UNBELIEVABLE. Their coordinators are so professional and know what they are doing. They will make sure they cover everything with you. For brides who don't know everything, this is EXTREMELY helpful. Also, the venue is... Read More gorgeous! All of our guests were in love with it. And stay in the cottages! It will make your day after so much fun! Thank you to Colleen, Stephanie, Lisa and the whole gang! Unbelievable!

Reviewed on 8/29/2017 Kate F

Worst venue tour ever! Went for a tour at the Mill this past weekend! Our tour was scheduled at 11:00 and when we got there, there was no one to greet us . My fiancé had to finally go and find someone in the kitchen to tell them we had an appointment. There were other couples... Read More also waiting! Then we were rushed around in 20 minutes and the woman didn't even show us the ceremony site! Really?? Worst customer service ever! I told everyone I know that they were so unprofessional.

2017-09-05T14:24:52 Response from the vendor

We sincerely apologize for the rushed tour that you recently experienced. We strive to make certain that each person leaves having all of their questions answered after viewing the property. We realize that we failed you in this regard during your visit. It's very infrequent... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/17/2017 Terry J

Excellent, professional venue. So smooth. Everything went perfectly. Their on-site wedding coordinator was professional, organized, friendly, and perfectly suited for the task at hand. She really made things run smoothly and on time, without being pushy. We loved the Miller's... Read More Cottage, which was supposed to have been for the groomsmen, but was taken by the bride! :) The groomsmen spent their time at the brand new brewery on site. The site is beautiful and historic, and the indoor reception area held all 175 of our guests perfectly. The ceremony took place in the Ruins, and the rain that was supposed to fall only fell first thing in the morning, and for a few minutes prior to the ceremony. We could not have asked for a better day. The Mill staff also provided us with a list of preferred vendors (cake, dj, etc.) , which helped immensely; they were used to working together, and it was a hand-in-glove relationship. The bride and groom and several of the groomsmen and bridesmaids stayed on site in the cottages (including myself, mother of the bride) and it was convenient, well designed, homey, clean and fun. Breakfast from the General Store, which we carried back to our cottages in the baskets provided, was delicious and convenient. My only, very minor complaint, was not having filled water glasses on the tables at the reception. We had to stand in line at the bar for water. :( Even so, I just can't say enough about how happy we are to have chosen this venue.

Reviewed on 8/08/2017 Gianna A

The Mill at Fine Creek was the perfect location for our wedding! The venue is absolutely beautiful, the food is amazing, and the staff is helpful. They make sure that everything is exactly the way you want it. So happy we chose The Mill!

Reviewed on 6/17/2017 Susan C

As soon as I went for a tour, I knew that The Mill at Fine Creek was the perfect venue. Not only because it is absolutely beautiful, but because they are wedding pros and know how to make the day go perfectly smooth (thanks to Colleen and Stephanie, the in-house wedding... Read More coordinators). The food was delicious and a good time was had by all. We also stayed in the new cottages, which was perfect. I can't recommend them enough!!

Reviewed on 5/06/2017 Caitlin M

I have got to say The Mill at Fine Creek is the best venue I could have asked for to have my wedding at. They make sure everything is to how you want it, and they make you feel like family. Every moment of my wedding was incredible. The atmosphere and grounds of the venue helped... Read More create my dream wedding. When it came to the food I have to say I wish I could eat it every single day! The staff was very professional, and were ready for everything. I used the onsite coordinator Colleen, and she made me feel relaxed and calm. I knew she had everything under control. I could not have been as happy with my wedding if we had it somewhere else. We loved the venue, and our guests loved the venue too. They are still raving about it a month later. We are so thankful with how the wedding went, and they were a big part of that.

Reviewed on 5/02/2017 Laura N

The absolute dream venue. Stunning natural setting, beautiful indoor area for the reception, amazing food, and the most amazing staff ever to help your big day go smoothly.

Reviewed on 4/28/2017 Hannah S

Cannot say enough good things about the Mill and their staff. Everything went flawlessly and they are the height of professionalism. I used many of their "preferred vendors" and we had zero issues. The day of went perfectly and we have gotten rave reviews on the food and overall... Read More experience. Added bonus that they have multiple ceremony sites and a rainy-day back up plan for minimal stress. We used their day-of coordinator services and they were fantastic. Zero stress, beautiful day, great wedding!

Reviewed on 12/19/2016 Heather W

My husband and our families cannot thank The Mill at Fine Creek enough for everything on our wedding day! It truly was the best day ever! Our friends and families since attending our wedding have described our wedding to us as an enchanted, historic venue and I couldn't agree... Read More more. One of my favorite things about The Mill at Fine Creek is how different and unique the wedding venue truly is, I didn't want to be the same as every other bride. Beautiful OUTDOOR wedding ceremony and venue location. I LOVED having the ceremony and reception in the same location. As a wedding attendee many times, I know it is typically a hassle when your guests have to travel between locations and it was so convenient to have everything together. Lisa and team are absolutely amazing and the FOOD IS AMAZING!!! Love the farm to table concept and that all beer/wine is local was huge for my husband and as we love trying local items. We had friends after the wedding share with us that they specially ordered the Rappahannock Cellars wine that was served during our wedding from VA to Fl. Overall was very easy to work with The Mill from a far as well since we were not a local bride and groom. We highly recommend The Mill at Fine Creek for any bride and grooms to be!!

Reviewed on 11/12/2016 Charlie N

Overall, the venue was fantastic. It was beautiful for our ceremony and having everything onsite was incredibly convenient.

Reviewed on 11/08/2016 Sarah P

When we found The Mill, we were immediately sold. We then started getting nervous that The Mill wouldn’t be able to live up to the hype. Everyone we came across who knew of The Mill gave rave reviews about Colleen and Lisa, the food and the atmosphere. We were not at all... Read More disappointed. The wedding was beautiful, Colleen made sure it went so smoothly. The food was AMAZING and definitely lived up to the hype. Between Colleen sitting down with us on multiple occasions to make sure our vision was realized and Lisa personally crafting our menu to include some of our favorite homemade recipes, they made sure our wedding was personal and perfect. We got so many compliments on the venue and the food and cannot imagine our wedding taking place in another location. We even had some recently married friends tell us they wish they had found this venue AND not-so-recently married friends talk about renewing their vows here! I would absolutely recommend!

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Rachel N

I just got married here over the weekend. When we started planning, my spouse and I researched a bunch of venues online. The Mill was the first one we visited, and we didn't bother looking anywhere else because we knew nothing could beat it. It is gorgeous, and the staff are... Read More helpful (day of, I forgot to turn the lights on in my centerpieces because I was doing 8 million things, and they without bothering me just did it for me!). My guests have just raved to me about how delicious the food was (I'm super sad I missed cocktail hour! Word of advice: ask them to set aside a plate of appetizers for you because they are phenomenal!) and how beautiful and perfect the site was. I love that food is done on site, that the bride(s) and groom(s) can stay on site overnight, and it's great that the other cottages are coming soon. We were blown away by the wine/beer selection. It was all well organized, and not only were the planning staff helpful, but the day-of serving staff were amazing and wonderful. I hope people thank them as well, because we deeply appreciated them! A somewhat pricey venue, but we knew that going in, and it was absolutely worth it for all you get and all they offer you and do to help you. I loved it.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Paulie F

I recently was married at this gorgeous venue. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this magical place. The entire wedding planning process was as easy as possible due to the creativity and thoughtfulness of every single employee here. My emails and questions were all... Read More answered quickly and any additional questions were usually answered without me asking. Unfortunately, it rained our entire wedding day, (causing some stress, needless to say), and the staff could not have been more helpful and patient with my family, friends and guests. Although we had the option to have the reception indoors on time, we were able to coordinate pushing the ceremony back 30 minutes, we gave our guests an unplanned mini cocktail hour and the rain stopped! The entire day went by so smoothly and I couldn't be more grateful. Our family, friends and guests raved about the location, the venue and the food! Everything was incredible. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Erica M

My husband and I got married at the Mill this September and it was absolutely perfect! The venue is beautiful, the food was wonderful and the staff is fantastic! It was a like a dream. I would highly recommend the Mill!

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Stephanie A

I recently got married at the Mill on Aug 28 and every moment was amazing. Everyone was extremely helpful in making sure everything went smoothly before the wedding and on the actual day. Everyone was incredibly accommodating. The venue itself is gorgeous and made for amazing... Read More pictures. Our guests gave us so many compliments on the venue and how great the food was. Colleen and Stephanie and the rest of the team truly made everything perfect for our special day. The moment we saw this place we fell in love and I'm so happy we went with our gut. Couldn't have asked for a better venue or experience! -Stephanie Beck