The Mill at Fine Creek

Powhatan, VA

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Located in Powhatan, Virginia, The Mill at Fine Creek is an exclusive full-service wedding venue that is unlike any other. Located in the historic Fine Creek Mills Historic District, the venue covers more than 10 acres and offers privacy in an expansive area for weddings for more than 225 guests. The area was settled in the 1730s and President Thomas Jefferson's grandfather had a house on the property. With staff and event coordinators who come highly recommended, couples can rest assured that their wedding details will be taken care of with care and professionalism. For those seeking a private oasis that is both unique and convenient, The Mill at Fine Creek is an excellent option.

Main Room. The space is ideal for wedding receptions, but can be used for indoor ceremonies. With high ceilings and inlaid lighting with cream walls, it offers a simple elegance. The space has a permanent bar, dance floor and patio. It can accommodate up to 225 guests.

Flagstones. The flagstones offer a unique outdoor ceremony venue that is enclosed by tall stone walls. There is shrubbery on the wall and along the ground, which adds pops of bright green against the tan stones. The space can be lit up at night with twinkle lights for a truly magical setting.

The Lawn. Adjacent to the flagstones, couples can opt to hold their ceremony on the lawn. With the beautiful stone structures in the background along with towering trees, the space is airy and unique.

The Patio. On the other side of the flagstones, there is a concrete patio area that can be used for outdoor weddings. With beautiful trees and shrubbery, as well as part of the flagstone as the backdrop, the space offers a memorable space to exchange your vows.

The Mill at Fine Creek offers a list of preferred vendors, but allows any outside vendors including the day-of coordinators. Catering can be provided on-site by chefs who create menus from scratch. Some of the vegetables and herbs are harvested at the venue for a farm-to-table food experience. For drinks, guests can enjoy a full bar, along with the option for outdoor bars and specialty drink stations.

The venue rental can include the following:

• Groom's cottage
  • Votives
  • Glassware
  • Dinnerware
  • Linens

The Mill at Fine Creek offers several extra perks. The space is only available to one wedding at a time, so couples and their guests can enjoy a private celebration. The venue's expansive 10 acres of space also offers many outstanding wedding photo opportunities. They offer on-site stylists as well.

An enchanting setting for your special day!

The Mill at Fine Creek is a unique reception venue meticulously designed to fulfill all the details of your wedding-day dreams. Located in an historic district on the site of an 18th-century mill, our modern facility blends new-world capabilities with old-world charm.

Ballroom, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

Bow2010

2434 Robert E Lee Road, Powhatan, VA (804) 379-8211

Reviewed on 6/10/2015 Brittany D

I can't say enough about how amazing my experience was at the Mill! During planning, Colleen and Stephanie answered every little question and thought of every fine detail about the big day. Lisa, the owner and caterer, sat with us to create a customized menu and executed it to... Read More perfection. On the day of our wedding, everything went better than I ever could've imagined- I truly don't have one, single thing to complain about. My bridal party and I stayed in the cottage onsite the night before, woke up the next day and leisurely prepared for the wedding. Carrie checked in on us all day, brought mimosas and double checked the details. When it was showtime, Stephanie made sure that the wedding party and vendors knew exactly where to be and when. Dinner service was impeccable- these guys are a well-oiled machine! Stephanie made sure the wedding party ate some appetizers between the ceremony and reception, and dinner was served quickly with no hiccups. The three things I heard over and over and over again from my guests: 1) The venue was unbelievably beautiful 2) The service was incredible 3) The food was amazing! Choosing the Mill was the best wedding choice I made (aside from the Groom, of course). I can't thank these guys enough!

Reviewed on 5/28/2015 Elizabeth S

As far as I am concerned every single bride and groom should choose The Mill for their wedding! The moment we visited the site we fell in love. In fact I cried, saying to my father that the site was perfect and I did not care what I had to do in order to have my wedding at The... Read More Mill. The team at The Mill is so professional and provides exceptional service in everything they do! Colleen and Lisa, answered e-mails extremely quick during our year plus planning process. Every step of the planning process was stress free due to their experience in the wedding process. Lisa provides an exceptional service of planning the wedding menu based on the bride an grooms wishes. The father of the bride has recently gone gluten free due to health problems. Lisa planned the entire menu to be gluten free and no one even noticed, as guests commented that the foo was exceptional. Colleen was so well organized on wedding day that as the bride, I did not have to worry about a thing! The entire property is amazing and made for amazing pictures as well as a very fun place for the guests to mingle on the entire property and not be confined to a single reception place. Please do not look any where else when planning your wedding. Booking The Mill at Fine Creek is the best decision I ever made, well except for finding the perfect husband!

Reviewed on 5/11/2015 Kappie F

We could not be more grateful to the Mill at Fine Creek for making our daughter’s wedding day everything we hoped it would be. We had 217 guests set for an April 25th sunny low 70’s outdoor wedding but instead it rained all day and night and the temperature was 46 degrees. The... Read More bride and 9 bridesmaids arrived as early as 10am for a 5:00 wedding and were treated like royalty as they had their stylist’s prepare them for the wedding. Without missing a beat the staff moved the wedding indoors and arranged seating for all 217 guests. The venue was beautiful and intimate. The minute the ceremony ended, drinks were served as the staff moved the seating and transitioned the venue back to the original space. They had heaters on the covered porch, which could seat 25 to 30 guests. The food was spectacular and the service team was fast, friendly, accommodating and just seemed to have fun with us. We could not have asked for more and would strongly and without reservation recommend the Mill and their entire team to anyone considering the venue.

Reviewed on 4/28/2017 Hannah S

Cannot say enough good things about the Mill and their staff. Everything went flawlessly and they are the height of professionalism. I used many of their "preferred vendors" and we had zero issues. The day of went perfectly and we have gotten rave reviews on the food and overall... Read More experience. Added bonus that they have multiple ceremony sites and a rainy-day back up plan for minimal stress. We used their day-of coordinator services and they were fantastic. Zero stress, beautiful day, great wedding!

Reviewed on 3/18/2017 Kristal W

Where do we even begin? The team at The Mill is absolutely outstanding. Planning a wedding is a huge job (especially in less than three months) but The Mill makes it a piece of cake. Not only did they guide us through every detail and keep lines of communications open with... Read More all of our vendors but every recommendation they made was spot on. From the very first visit to the last minute of our reception, we felt like everything was well taken care of and didn't have a single worry. The natural grounds and setting is absolutely breathtaking. We loved the opportunity to sneak in some private photos down by the creek at sunset. Oh and let's not forget the cuisine. Our guests are still raving about how tasty the food was. The customized menu was a nice touch and everything from the signature cocktail to the flatbreads to the tiramisu was delightful! Even our gluten free guests were extremely pleased with not only their meals but the care that the team took to serve them something similar without making a big deal out of it. If you are looking for a beautiful setting that allows great flexibility for your ceremony/reception with a staff that "gets it" and will take the stress out of your wedding day - look no further!

Reviewed on 12/19/2016 Heather W

My husband and our families cannot thank The Mill at Fine Creek enough for everything on our wedding day! It truly was the best day ever! Our friends and families since attending our wedding have described our wedding to us as an enchanted, historic venue and I couldn't agree... Read More more. One of my favorite things about The Mill at Fine Creek is how different and unique the wedding venue truly is, I didn't want to be the same as every other bride. Beautiful OUTDOOR wedding ceremony and venue location. I LOVED having the ceremony and reception in the same location. As a wedding attendee many times, I know it is typically a hassle when your guests have to travel between locations and it was so convenient to have everything together. Lisa and team are absolutely amazing and the FOOD IS AMAZING!!! Love the farm to table concept and that all beer/wine is local was huge for my husband and as we love trying local items. We had friends after the wedding share with us that they specially ordered the Rappahannock Cellars wine that was served during our wedding from VA to Fl. Overall was very easy to work with The Mill from a far as well since we were not a local bride and groom. We highly recommend The Mill at Fine Creek for any bride and grooms to be!!

Reviewed on 11/12/2016 Charlie N

Overall, the venue was fantastic. It was beautiful for our ceremony and having everything onsite was incredibly convenient.

Reviewed on 11/08/2016 Sarah P

When we found The Mill, we were immediately sold. We then started getting nervous that The Mill wouldn’t be able to live up to the hype. Everyone we came across who knew of The Mill gave rave reviews about Colleen and Lisa, the food and the atmosphere. We were not at all... Read More disappointed. The wedding was beautiful, Colleen made sure it went so smoothly. The food was AMAZING and definitely lived up to the hype. Between Colleen sitting down with us on multiple occasions to make sure our vision was realized and Lisa personally crafting our menu to include some of our favorite homemade recipes, they made sure our wedding was personal and perfect. We got so many compliments on the venue and the food and cannot imagine our wedding taking place in another location. We even had some recently married friends tell us they wish they had found this venue AND not-so-recently married friends talk about renewing their vows here! I would absolutely recommend!

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Rachel N

I just got married here over the weekend. When we started planning, my spouse and I researched a bunch of venues online. The Mill was the first one we visited, and we didn't bother looking anywhere else because we knew nothing could beat it. It is gorgeous, and the staff are... Read More helpful (day of, I forgot to turn the lights on in my centerpieces because I was doing 8 million things, and they without bothering me just did it for me!). My guests have just raved to me about how delicious the food was (I'm super sad I missed cocktail hour! Word of advice: ask them to set aside a plate of appetizers for you because they are phenomenal!) and how beautiful and perfect the site was. I love that food is done on site, that the bride(s) and groom(s) can stay on site overnight, and it's great that the other cottages are coming soon. We were blown away by the wine/beer selection. It was all well organized, and not only were the planning staff helpful, but the day-of serving staff were amazing and wonderful. I hope people thank them as well, because we deeply appreciated them! A somewhat pricey venue, but we knew that going in, and it was absolutely worth it for all you get and all they offer you and do to help you. I loved it.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Paulie F

I recently was married at this gorgeous venue. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this magical place. The entire wedding planning process was as easy as possible due to the creativity and thoughtfulness of every single employee here. My emails and questions were all... Read More answered quickly and any additional questions were usually answered without me asking. Unfortunately, it rained our entire wedding day, (causing some stress, needless to say), and the staff could not have been more helpful and patient with my family, friends and guests. Although we had the option to have the reception indoors on time, we were able to coordinate pushing the ceremony back 30 minutes, we gave our guests an unplanned mini cocktail hour and the rain stopped! The entire day went by so smoothly and I couldn't be more grateful. Our family, friends and guests raved about the location, the venue and the food! Everything was incredible. HIGHLY RECOMMEND!

Reviewed on 10/07/2016 Erica M

My husband and I got married at the Mill this September and it was absolutely perfect! The venue is beautiful, the food was wonderful and the staff is fantastic! It was a like a dream. I would highly recommend the Mill!

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Stephanie A

I recently got married at the Mill on Aug 28 and every moment was amazing. Everyone was extremely helpful in making sure everything went smoothly before the wedding and on the actual day. Everyone was incredibly accommodating. The venue itself is gorgeous and made for amazing... Read More pictures. Our guests gave us so many compliments on the venue and how great the food was. Colleen and Stephanie and the rest of the team truly made everything perfect for our special day. The moment we saw this place we fell in love and I'm so happy we went with our gut. Couldn't have asked for a better venue or experience! -Stephanie Beck

Reviewed on 9/21/2016 christy b

If anyone is getting married, go look at The mill! everything is there you don't have to do anything but plan your date. Everyone at the mill bent over backwards for my daughter. They thought of little details we didn't. The day was perfect. we had so many of our guests... Read More tell us want a beautiful celebration it was. Thank you Colleen and staff for making the day so much more special !!

Reviewed on 9/12/2016 Amanda C

I can't even put into words appropriately how LOVELY my wedding was on 8.27.16! From the staff while getting ready, to the coordinator (Colleen & Stephanie!), the food, the bartenders & the absolute beauty of the venue, it was just a PERFECT day! The scenery sets the vibe & you... Read More just can't help but smile the entire time you're there. The experience and knowledge is obvious with the staff & owners. They know what you want before you even realize. It was so easy and fun planning this wedding with Lisa. I wish I could do it again and again! PS. Get the Chicken & Waffle appetizer!

Reviewed on 9/06/2016 Rita M

The Mill at Fine Creek in Powhatan, VA, more than exceeded our expectations (and we had very high expectations)! Our daughter's wedding was held at the Mill at Fine Creek on Thursday, 18 August 2016. When we first met with Lisa , the proprietor and chef, in February 2016, we... Read More were impressed with her style and what the venue offered. My daughter and her fiance had visited other venues in VA prior to The Mill, and none of them held a candle to The Mill. From the minute we walked in the door, we knew that The Mill was going to be the one. The tasting we attended shortly thereafter sealed the deal. Without the luxury of too much time to plan our daughter's wedding (plus we live out of state in NC), it was a relief knowing that we were dealing with pros who are very knowledgeable and accommodating - from food choices (guests who are gluten-free, vegetarian), to organization. Our Wedding Coordinator, Colleen, was phenomenal. She was very organized and quickly addressed any questions we would have during the planning process. On the wedding day, Colleen, Stephanie, and other staff were there to make sure everything ran smoothly. They even helped me gather up all of our decorations after the reception ended - up through Midnight! We were fortunate to have good weather, so the ceremony was held in the lovely "ruins," which is a former gristmill. The extensive grounds were a wonderful backdrop for all the photos and for guests to wander through. The entire experience was magical! About the food ... my husband and I are native-born Italians, so food is extremely important to us and to our family. Not only is the taste important, the way it is prepared and presented are just as important. Lisa, who is the head chef, delivered as promised! Everyone raved about the appetizers and dinner course. You could tell that the food was prepared by individuals who truly love their profession and care about their clientele. I only wish I had another child who is getting married so that we could do it all over again at The Mill!

Reviewed on 9/04/2016 Brittany H

I cannot say enough good things about The Mill at Fine Creek. Everything with them was smooth and easy and it was the most perfect day ever! I cannot imagine working with anyone else! This venue goes above and beyond to make your day perfect! They are amazing with planning and... Read More very accommodating to any special requests. They make you feel like you are right at home! I cannot recommend them enough!! LOVE THE MILL!

Reviewed on 8/24/2016 Melanie L

The Mill at Fine Creek was the most amazing venue and gave us the best day we could have asked for! The staff at the Mill from Lisa, Stephanie, and Colleen to the rest of the staff on the day of the wedding were great and so helpful. They helped keep everything organized with... Read More the rest of our vendors from the minute we reserved our date through the night of the wedding. The venue was beautiful and required so little additional decor from us. My guests haven't stopped raving about the beautiful lawn, interesting deck/gardens, and the amazing food. Thank you all for making the wedding of our dreams!

Reviewed on 8/03/2016

Truly the entire staff of The Mill really out-did themselves. From the moment we first toured the venue we just knew it was the correct choice. It was the first place we visited and we had several on our list to check out, but we just knew we had found our perfect place and... Read More the list went into the wastebasket. Everyone was so easy to work with, flexible and absolutely put what few concerns we had to rest. The place is gorgeous inside and out with lots of options for the ceremony, the food delicious, and the assistance we got during every meeting was incredible. All follow-up emails were quickly answered. The rehearsal went great, and on the day of the wedding we all felt like royalty. I knew we were "just the next wedding on the calendar," but in reality the entire staff made us feel like we were the only wedding they had to do. We just felt so loved and pampered and cared for in every regard all day long. The personal touches were unbelievable. Up until the the day of the wedding we had only met with the owner/caterer or coordinator, but on the day of we were fully accommodated beginning early in the day (a Saturday). And as the time for the ceremony drew near, we began to see all the staff appear and everything just come together - we felt like we were in a dream. The fine details they attended to were truly wonderful. Our guests were made comfortable despite the warm temperature, and every single thing was on their radar and done perfectly. Not a single detail was left undone. The groom's mom told me afterwards that friends of theirs said they go to a lot of weddings but that this was the nicest they had ever been to. And, many other guests expressed similar compliments. I just can't say enough good things about The Mill at Fine Creek. Their kind and gracious hospitality got the marriage off to a wonderful start. It was actually meloncholy to know that with the wedding being overwith, we wouldn't be working with them any longer. But then I was reminded they are building the brewery and overnight lodging accommodations, so that is something to look forward to and to be able to keep in touch with them. Anyone choosing this venue for their wedding will not be disappointed in any way.

Reviewed on 7/16/2016

I recently had my wedding and reception at The Mill at Fine Creek and cannot say enough about this incredible venue. The grounds, facilities and staff are nothing short of stellar and first rate. Lisa, Colleen and Stephanie were so helpful throughout the entire planning... Read More process as well as the day of. We planned to have our ceremony in the ruins, but it rained off and on throughout our wedding day. At the very last minute, we decided to move our ceremony inside. The team didn't bat an eye at our request and flipped the room within minutes - I could not be more grateful for their flexibility. Our guests are still raving about the amazing food (the mini chicken and waffle passed appetizers were a runaway hit) and the service by the entire staff. I was totally blown away by everything and everyone at The Mill and I thank them so much for making our day so amazing.

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Emily Z

I cant say enough good things about the mill at fine creek. We selected this venue because it is beautiful and unique and had amazing reviews online. The venue itself is gorgeous and the building and grounds are so well maintained. The service was beyond my expectations; there... Read More was always someone to answer my questions. Colleen was our day of coordinator and she took care of everything, making sure that I didn't have to worry about a thing on the day of. The food was amazing, we loved getting to create our own menu with Lisa. Guests kept telling us all night how great the food was. Our wedding at the mill exceeded all of me expectations. They paid attention to every detail, and you could tell throughout the process not only how professional and knowledgeable each member of the staff is, but also how much they enjoy their jobs. We were so happy with our wedding at the mill, and would do it all over again, exactly the same!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Kristen L

This place was magical, and I had the best night of my life. They take care of almost everything so you have less to worry about. You couldn't ask for a better place to start the rest of your life!

Reviewed on 5/31/2016 Lauren K

In addition to the unbeatably lovely scenery, the Mill also has the most amazing staff you could ask for. Every email I sent was answered within hours or at most a day, they worked hard to accommodate our theme (Harry Potter) and even came up with some fun ideas we hadn't... Read More thought of. I never felt like I was bothering them or asking stupid questions and their professionalism and experience made the week prior nearly stress-free. If I had it to do over again, I would choose the Mill every time for the most beautiful setting you could ask for, and the staff who really take your wedding personally and work so hard to make it perfect!

Reviewed on 5/19/2016 Kathrin J

The Mill at Fine Creek was a beautiful setting for our daughter's recent wedding reception. The staff is exceptional. They pay attention to every detail. The food was delicious, and beautifully presented. Thank you to everyone for a lovely day. We were so pleased.

Reviewed on 5/18/2016 Jamie H

Absolutely stunning venue and great people to work with! All of my guests were wowed by this place and I couldn't have been happier with how everything turned out. Stephanie did an excellent job as coordinator! Made everything flow smoothly and in a timely fashion. I didn't have... Read More to worry about a thing. The food was fantastic! Their baker made my cutting cake and cupcakes - so delicious! Everyone was so accommodating and I got nothing but great comments from my family and friends. SO incredibly glad that I booked this venue for my big day!

Reviewed on 5/01/2016 Jessica S

Choosing The Mill at Fine Creek was the best decision of our wedding planning. Everything from the food to the gorgeous grounds to the staff was absolutely perfect, and allowed us to have the most stress-free wedding day and planning process. Every question we had while planning... Read More our wedding was answered very quickly and with great attention to detail. We were also lucky to have The Mill's list of preferred vendors which led us to choosing an amazing team that worked together seamlessly, again making our big day so relaxing since we knew everything was taken care of. Be sure to take advantage of their day-of coordination services, as Stephanie and Colleen are the best at caring for every detail and made the day run flawlessly. We haven't stopped receiving compliments on the delicious food and unbeatable beauty of The Mill at Fine Creek, and couldn't be happier with our decision to get married there. Our day was nothing short of perfect thanks to everyone at The Mill at Fine Creek, and I only wish every bride and groom could experience it as well!