The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

With a restored art deco theme in an authentic 1920s building, the Thaxton in St. Louis, Missouri, is an excellent choice for a vintage-style wedding. Its capacity of up to 225 for cocktail-style events and 125 for sit-down dinners, makes this venue well suited for intimate weddings and receptions. The historic ballroom setting can be as simple and elegant or as lavish and extravagant as the couple desires.

Also known as the Thaxton Speakeasy, this space, with room for up to 120 guests, has an relaxed, underground vibe with its low-level colored lighting.

This striking space is decorated with vibrant colors and artwork from the Jazz Age. With room for up to 180 guests, the Grand Hall is ideal for those seeking a more opulent atmosphere.

The Mezzanine Area comes with a satellite bar and overlooks the Grand Hall. This is a great space for a more intimate celebration, accommodating up to 60.

The Thaxton charges flat fees for the ceremony, reception or a combination of the two. Ceremonies must be booked between noon and 2 p.m. Unlike some venues, the Thaxton keeps the same flat fees for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Bar services are available for a per-person fee. The most basic package includes domestic beer bottles and wine, and pricier options can include draft and craft beers, premium wine, premium liquors and cocktails. All bar services run for a four-hour period.

Couples must select from the venue's list of preferred caterers, which, fortunately, is diverse, ranging from steaks cooked at Pappy's Smokehouse to brunch buffets and sumptuous desserts at the Butler's Pantry. The Thaxton also provides a list of other recommended wedding experts, including vintage transport providers, photographers, florists and candy buffet providers.

Among the amenities available at the Thaxton includes:

• Moonshine cocktails with some bar packages
  • Personalized boutique for the reception
  • Chairs, tables and rehearsal fees included in the reception fee
  • Handicap accessible
  • Liability insurance covered
  • Choice of 11 local catering providers
  • Package options for drinks

Elegant. Unique. Unforgettable.

Constructed in 1928 and restored to its Art Deco splendor, the historic Thaxton building is unsurpassed in elegance. This unique, multi-level space is perfect for your intimate function. Our opulent surroundings and superior service are sure to make your day one that is not forgotten.

Ballroom, Museum, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment

1009 Olive Street, St. Louis, MO (314) 323-3146

Reviewed on 6/08/2016

My wife and I had our wedding reception here, and it was as phenomenal as expected! We love the staff; everyone is accommodating and helpful, from the planning to the night of. We could plan the night a million times and I don't think we'd ever think of choosing another place... Read More because of the people and its decor. In fact, I had a birthday bash last year at The Thaxton and the wedding reception still felt fancy and special as ever! Plus, every guest has raved about it!!! The Thaxton is definitely LGBT friendly, too. I'm a lesbian transgender woman - so I'm part of two of those letters - and I have never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome. I've felt the nothing but positivity and therefore find the staff simply wonderful! Basically, The Thaxton is wonderfully run and the pictures show how amazing its flare and style are. If your guest list fits, I can't imagine anyone ever having a bad experience it. A+ and a million stars for The Thaxton!!! <3

2016-06-09T12:40:11 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking to time to share your experience! We are beyond honored that you chose The Thaxton more than once for such special events. Much gratitude!

Reviewed on 4/04/2016

It's hard to believe all of the good reviews that you read about the Thaxton when you are doing a venue search. We just had our wedding last night. Peter, Kim and Mad Dog run an unbelievable venue. Even without their hospitality the venue itself is elegant, unique and brings a... Read More completely different atmosphere than typical weddings. But what makes this absolutely stunning and gorgeous location for a wedding even better is are the staff that make the evening an easy, stress free moment for the Bride and Groom. Peter is wonderful leading up to the event, providing ideas and insights to what works well at the Thaxton. Anything from music to perfect picture locations. Once your evening is underway both Peter and Mad Dog make sure you and you Bride/Groom want for nothing. Mad Dog will usher you through the night with a calm and collective attitude. You will be able to enjoy yourself and not have to worry about anything. If there Is ANY downside to the venue, it is that you'll be to busy taking pictures with your bride/groom and not downstairs in the lounge after the reception dinner. The lounge is only something I can describe as a scene out of a Tim Burton's Batman Movie, and is easily my most favorite part of the venue. If I could only make one recommendation is that you start your event early, and end it late. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience if you are considering this location for a wedding venue. If this is even a "maybe" on your list you have to see peter and get the tour. Thank you Peter, Kim and Mad Dog for such and unforgettable evening.

2016-04-05T09:13:11 Response from the vendor

We are humbled and thankful that you think so highly of us. And of course, we LOVE to hear it! Words can not express our gratitude for your review. Thank you much.

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Megan K

My husband and I got married at The Thaxton in 2010. Of all the venues we considered, it was by far the most beautiful and unique and we knew instantly it was the perfect place for us. Planning our wedding here could not have been easier or less stressful. Our wedding ceremony... Read More was beautiful, and the reception was the best celebration that we could have imagined. After all this time, we still have wedding guests that tell us that our wedding was one of the best they have ever been to. We knew it would be one of our most memorable days, but we are so happy to know that it is also such a great memory for the people we love.

2015-10-30T09:23:34 Response from the vendor

That is so touching! We are truly honored that you have such fond memories of The Thaxton. Thank you so much for the review.

Reviewed on 11/17/2016 Olivia B

We had our wedding at The Thaxton and everything was awesome! Mad Dog, Kim, and Peter all did a great job of making the day perfect. Request a tour and as you walk through the building you will instantly fall in the love with the charm!

Reviewed on 11/15/2016 Katie M

LOVE the Thaxton. Such a unique venue and amazing people to work with. Peter and Mad Dog took care of everything the day of and really listened to what we wanted. It's such a great wedding venue with different levels and spaces. It's so well decorated you don't really need to... Read More worry about additional decor.

Reviewed on 11/03/2016 Katie K

My husband and I recently had our rehearsal dinner here and had THE BEST experience. Peter was so great to work with. We decided on a 1920s themed event with live music with a true Prohibition era feel. He went above and beyond to make this night one our friends still keep... Read More talking about! Peter was prompt to respond to our needs, took a great deal of time to meet with us in person about details, and truly invested himself into our experience. I would HIGHLY recommend the Thaxton for any special event, rehearsal dinner, or wedding reception. You will not be sorry. I wish I could relive our experience 100 times over again! Peter and his staff are amazing!

2016-11-15T10:48:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your wedding celebrations with us!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Corey B

We absolutely loved this venue and the owners. Peter and Kim far exceeded our expectations. The service was like no other. They are true masters of their art. They were able to read the event and act quickly and appropriately to fill any roll that needed to be filled. When the... Read More guest book polaroid camera stopped working, Peter filled in to make sure the job was done. I would be talking with a group of people for a long period of time, and he was watching for when I needed more drinks, and would come up and ask what I needed. They were also very intuitive when it comes to... interesting family dynamics. He is 110% about the hapiness of the bride and groom, and those come first - however, he's a master at making people feel calm and comfortable and can make awkward situations happy situations. The venue itself is absolutely beautiful and unforgettable. We had the best night and didn't want to leave. There was the one downside to the night ; it had to end! Bottom line, if you are reading this and considering The Thaxton - just go for it. You will have the best night of your life.

2016-11-01T14:49:24 Response from the vendor

The best night of your life is exactly what we strive for. Thank you so much for your review!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Katie W

I attended a wedding reception at The Thaxton when I was in high school and I told my mom The Thaxton is what I want for my wedding...and I kept my promise! I didn't even tour other venues. If the opulence of the building isn't enticing enough, just wait until you meet Peter,... Read More Kim, or Mad Dog! Peter always replied to my emails within a day...sometimes within minutes! He constantly reassured me how beautiful my reception would be, and he kept me stress free! During the reception, Mad Dog was our guide. He let us know what to do next and when...and thank god because otherwise I would have been so lost! All of my guests loved him, too. The Thaxton is a seriously unique package, and you will not regret celebrating your wedding here!

2016-11-01T14:51:50 Response from the vendor

That is so cool! We are both flattered and honored. Thank you.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Lauren S

We just had our wedding this past weekend at The Thaxton and I can honestly say it was the best day of our lives! Peter, Kim, Mad Dog, Jerry (DJ Uptown) and the entire staff are exceptional. From the day we first looked at the venue they were always available to answer any... Read More question no matter if it was a big issue or small. The day of our wedding could not have gone smoother and Justin & I did not have to worry about a thing during the event because they had everything taken care of. Many of our guests were from out of town and have attended several weddings, and they said this was the best wedding they have ever been to! I highly recommend DJ Uptown, he had people on the dance floor all night and played anything we wanted!! I am SO happy we chose the Thaxton for our special day and I can't even imagine having it anywhere else. Thank you so much for making the day so wonderful!!

2016-10-19T09:26:34 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the exceptionally nice review! We are honored that you chose The Thaxton.

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Julie H

My husband and I had our ceremony and reception at The Thaxton last weekend. From the moment we walked in, we knew this was the place! It was the first and only venue we even toured. We knew we wanted a spot that would accommodate the ceremony and reception all in one, that also... Read More had availability to do food stations. Peter had a vision for us immediately - he drew a mock up floor plan, walked us through the schedule for the evening, told us how the dance floor would work - and this was all on our first tour! From then until the day of, he answered my countless question and gave me comfort in our decisions. On our wedding day, Peter and Kim collaborated with my vendors to turn the facility into the most magical place we could imagine. The ceremony was warm, romantic and whimsical. They flipped to the reception, and the room was buzzing with excitement from all our guests. I can't even imagine how many times I had guests come up to us and compliment the venue. We even heard that it was the most beautiful wedding some had ever attended. To top it all off, Mr. Mad Dog swept us off our feet. He was attentive to us, provided us guidance throughout the night for where we should be, and even brought us drinks when we needed them. He was touched by our vows, and we could tell from the start that our night truly mattered to him. The Thaxton turned our dreams into reality. If we could live in that moment forever, we would. There is not one thing we would change, and we owe it all to Peter, Kim and Mad Dog!!

2016-09-27T16:07:34 Response from the vendor

We were honored. And we are proud! Thank you for such kind words.

Reviewed on 9/18/2016 Morgan P

My husband and I were lucky enough to book the Thaxton as our reception venue for our wedding day! I can honestly say that the day could not have been anymore perfect. The staff at the Thaxton were kind and helpful. Mad Dog helped the evening run so smoothly. Our guests were... Read More obsessed with the building itself. It is something special that can't even be explained without seeing it! The drinks and infused moonshine were delicious. The bartenders were fun and interactive and the music had every person dancing until the lights came on! I would not change a thing about our special day and it is all thanks to Peter, Kim, Mad Dog, and the rest of the Thaxton crew. I would recommend this venue to anyone looking to have a memorable reception that leaves a lasting impression. I am still getting texts about how amazing ours was!

2016-09-27T16:01:11 Response from the vendor

We were the lucky ones. Thank you for choosing The Thaxton!

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Kate S

My husband and I were recently married (ceremony and reception) at The Thaxton, and we absolutely LOVED our experience there! From the very beginning, Peter helped us to coordinate our wedding day at the venue. He was always available to answer any questions we had and was... Read More incredibly helpful with suggestions. The day of the wedding went off without a hitch. Mad Dog did a fantastic job keeping the night flowing from one event to the next, and he was with us at every key event to make sure my husband and I knew exactly where we needed to be at what time. Peter, Kim, and the rest of the staff kept everything running smoothly the entire night. The night was totally stress free for us and our guests. Everyone could not stop talking about how gorgeous and unique The Thaxton was and how smoothly everything ran. We truly had a perfect evening, and we will never forget our absolutely wonderful experience there. We are so happy we booked The Thaxton- there is no other venue like it! Thank you for giving us an amazing, unforgettable wedding!!

2016-09-27T15:59:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you! Amazing and unforgettable is what we strive for!

Reviewed on 7/28/2016 Jacqueline V

Perfection! My ceremony and reception took place at the thaxton a few weeks ago and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Peter and Kim are so kind and so helpful! The day went off without any problems and they allowed us to visit the location a number of times before... Read More the big day. They coordinated with all of our vendors and even made all of the arrangements for the linens and with DJ Uptown (who was amazingly courteous and professional). The change over between ceremony and reception was so quick and clean that I missed the whole thing and the staff working the bar were quick, kind, and friendly. Highly, highly, highly recommend hosting your event here. Also, the place is gorgeous, pictures don't do it justice, you must see it to believe it.

2016-07-29T10:21:28 Response from the vendor

Perfection? Yay!!! You have no idea how happy that makes us. Many thanks for sharing your day with us!

Reviewed on 6/23/2016 Nicole G

My husband found this and one other venue (which happened to be the #1 rated location on Wedding Wire) to review for our wedding, and we knew from the second Peter met us at the door of The Thaxton, this was where we needed to have our reception. This venue is absolutely... Read More beautiful and Peter and Kim were so accommodating and wonderful. A bonus is that The Thaxton is already so beautifully decorated, it's not really necessary to go overboard on any additional decorations. We had around 160 guests and used all four floors of the venue, which made for an interesting experience and also gave the older guests more quiet spaces to enjoy the evening. Not only that, but I was a little overwhelmed when it came to picking other vendors for our various needs and Peter totally came through with some fantastic recommendations. Kim was lovely to work with and extremely calm throughout the set up and evening of the event... she made me feel sane. And last, but definitely not least, we had the wonderful Mad Dog helping us through the night of the reception. He kept us on track, provided fantastic advice and suggestions, and he helped us expertly dodge through the crowd of well-wishers as we moved from cutting the cake, to our first dance, to partying the night away in the Speakeasy. Mad Dog made sure we had fun! I cannot recommend any other venue more than I do The Thaxton, for any event!

2016-07-29T10:28:57 Response from the vendor

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your recommendation and review are gold to us!

Reviewed on 4/30/2016 Brian Z

The Thaxton is an amazing place to have a wedding! The decor and ambiance are incredible and really adds to the wedding vibe. Peter made sure everything went off without a hitch and Mad Dog was always there to make sure my wife and I were taken care of and stress free. They... Read More kept the flow going smooth all night. It was so fun!!! Thank you for helping us have such an incredible wedding!!!

2016-05-02T20:00:54 Response from the vendor

That is amazing! Thanks for your review and for choosing The Thaxton!

Reviewed on 2/16/2016 Kristen P

Our wedding was as beautiful as the decor of this building. When I was looking for a wedding venue, all I knew is that I wanted it to be unique and this place fulfilled every expectation I had and more. Peter, Terry (Mad Dog), and the rest of the staff were amazing, attentive... Read More and very supportive of my crazy ideas. They took everything that I had in mind, which consisted of burlesque performers, circus acts, and ballerinas and made it all into a reality. Also, knowing I was very persistent on keeping to a timed schedule, made sure that everything ran smoothly and that my guests were always entertained and taken care of. A truly incredible experience that I wish I could relive every day. This place is a hidden gem in St. Louis that everyone should at least visit just to bask in how stunning the building and the artwork is. Any event here would be truly one to remember.

2016-02-22T16:19:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you for sharing such a creative and beautiful wedding with us! We appreciate your review.

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Lauren M

My husband and I got married here in March of 2013. From the minute I stepped into the door to check the place out to clean up after the wedding every single aspect was taken care of! I didn't have to worry about a thing when it came to my venue and coordination the day of my... Read More ceremony. Peter was really the BEST thing a bride could ask for. It truly is a gorgeous place and we still get compliments to this day over a year later!

2015-10-30T09:27:26 Response from the vendor

Yay! A stress free wedding is a thing of beauty. Many thanks for your review!

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Megan B

Amazing!

2015-10-30T09:27:52 Response from the vendor

Yipee!

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Nicole E

Amazing. Absolutely stunning building. Absolutely incredible staff. We had our rehearsal dinner here and we could not have had a better experience, it was perfect. From the moment I saw the space, my jaw dropped, they did an incredible job. I met with Peter and from the... Read More beginning he was kind, accommodating and interesting ;-). He met with the moms and I first and then again with Kevin and I months later. He made it affordable for us to have my dream rehearsal dinner! The food was soooo good and all made upstairs, the croissants were fresh made and there is such a beautiful pride about where they get their ingredients and how it is made. Props to the Chef. Peter let us come early to the event to shoot some photos. The Lemon Drop (that I was hand delivered during our little photo session) was the best I've ever had! After the event, we had forgotten our parents' gifts and Peter was efficient the next day to come downtown and make sure we had the gifts for our wedding day. We had an open bar, then dinner upstairs an then open bar again until 9:30 when the rest of our guests and public guests were then invited. Our guests came earlier than9:30 (they were excited!) and Peter was kind enough to let a few of them in before the open bar was over. We were lucky enough to have Miss Jubilee and her band sing live... OMG, it was incredible! Everyone was having a blast dancing and laughing. It was so great. I cannot say enough about this gorgeous venue, or the beautiful hearts of Peter and his partner Kim. When it was time for me to go home and attempt sleep, I was SOOO sad to leave, (though a lot of our guests stayed.) We had a lovely heart to heart with Peter and his kindness, again reminded me of why we will DEFINITELY be having an event here in the future. We will have to come up with some excuse, because it was well worth it! If you are thinking of this venue. Do it. Absolutely do it. Thank you Peter and Kim! Weeeee! Photos to come!

2015-10-19T21:47:14 Response from the vendor

Wow. Thank you, beautiful girl, a million times, for your kind and heartfelt words! We look forward to your return! And your photos!

Reviewed on 9/25/2015 Ann G

Just had our wedding here, so wanted to review while it was all fresh in our minds. Of all the choices we made for our wedding, booking the Thaxton for our reception was the easiest and best! Kim was our main contact, and she answered (tons) of emails about big things and... Read More little things, and even thought of details that we hadn't. Kim, Peter, Mad Dog, and the Thaxton staff made sure the night went smoothly. Mad Dog directed us during the reception, letting us know what was going on without stressing out so we could actually ENJOY being with our guests! The venue is beautiful and unique and FUN and our guests raved about it during and afterward. Truly a unique space with unique people. You won't regret choosing the Thaxton!

2015-09-26T10:05:55 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the very kind words. And we are so happy to know you are pleased with your decision to book the The Thaxton for your wedding day!!

Reviewed on 9/09/2015

A Perfect Decision!!! My husband and I were looking for a venue to host a second reception for our son and his new bride. We wanted a place that was a fun, but very unique atmosphere to entertain our many out of town guests. I also wanted a venue that allowed Butler's Pantry... Read More (our favorite caterer) to cater our event. We found that and more in The Thaxton! Kim and Peter were hands on during all the planning and the night of the event and things went off without a hitch! Their in-house DJ was fabulous, Kim and Peter felt like family and made sure everything was perfect!!! Having our event at The Thaxton was indeed "A Perfect Decision"!!! We want to say Thank You in every way! Lori & Ken

2015-09-10T10:36:28 Response from the vendor

It was an honor and a pleasure. Many, many thanks for choosing The Thaxton!

Reviewed on 7/26/2015 Alyssa S

We absolutely love the style of the The Thaxton Building! Unfortunately, our guest list was a little large for the venue, so, we made a great decision to host our rehearsal dinner at The Thaxton Building. Our guests were amazed by the space as well as the delicious food and... Read More drinks. We felt the evening worked out so well in that guests mingled in the Speak Easy area, came upstairs to enjoy dinner, and then returned to the Speak Easy space to continue the fun into the night. The staff was so friendly and easy to work with including Kim, Peter, and "Mad Dog." We would highly recommend The Thaxton for your Wedding!

2015-09-08T16:32:22 Response from the vendor

We are so thrilled to have been part of wedding celebrations! Many thanks for the review and recommendation.

Reviewed on 5/12/2015

We hosted The Night Before rehearsal party for our son and soon-to-be daughter-in-law's wedding in May, 2015. From the very beginning, we had a clear idea of the type of experience we wanted to create for our guests. Peter and his staff met our high expectations and we were... Read More thrilled with every aspect of the party. Our guests loved it all, especially the food (catered in house by Chef Pierre) and the fabulous, meticulously-restored decor. We received countless compliments and thanks for such a perfect kick-off for the wedding weekend.

2015-05-18T10:53:07 Response from the vendor

That is quite lovely to hear! Thank you for the kind review!

Reviewed on 5/07/2015

My Husband (as of 5 days ago!) and I attended a NYE party/surprise wedding at the Thaxton two years ago. It was my first time in St. Louis and I was blown away by the venue. The food was amazing, the ambiance was perfect... the architecture of the building was SO impressive. I... Read More loved it! Fast forward a few years and it was our turn to plan a wedding. We tried really hard to avoid the Thaxton because we didn't want to "copy" our friends. I searched high and low for the perfect venue that would satisfy what I was looking for and I just couldn't. There is NOTHING like the Thaxton! We caved, and booked it anyway! :) Kim was AMAZING to work with. It was easy & stress free. Not only is Kim super sweet & friendly, but her response time is ridiculously fast which made planning SO easy. She stayed on top of things so I didn't have to. On the day of, I really cannot say enough good things about the entire staff. I have received compliment after compliment about our wedding, the quality of the food & decor, and the friendliness of everyone we encountered that night. The layout of this building really caters to an intimate setting without feeling suffocating. It's beautiful and there are so many different levels and areas for guests to find a place to get comfortable. We also worked with DJ Matt Pruett who is very familiar with working with the Thaxton. He worked closely with us on our style and personality so the music flowed perfectly with what we had envisioned for our night. A large chunk of our guest list was from Texas & the East Coast. But even a lot of our St. Louis guests couldn't believe they had never seen this place. Our guests were in awe of the uniqueness of this venue. If you are looking to impress your guests, you will absolutely accomplish that with the Thaxton. I really couldn't have imagined a more picture perfect wedding and we have the Thaxton to thank for it! For a Bride that's looking for a venue that speaks for itself.... this is it. I can't think of a single thing that went wrong (during planning or the actual wedding evening) or anything that I would even attempt to change. It really was perfect :) The pictures you see are awesome, but they don't do this venue justice. Go check it out for yourself!

2015-05-08T13:46:38 Response from the vendor

Wow. We are speechless and proud! Thank you for such a nice review. The pleasure was all ours!

Unique Wedding Experience

Reviewed on 12/28/2014 Jennifer S

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception at The Thaxton in October of 2014. We were looking for a unique venue that was different from the normal cookie-cutter banquet hall and had a very intimate feel, and after researching different venues in STL The Thaxton... Read More really stood above the rest. It is such a great space for a reception, but was also a beautiful setting for the ceremony (We had about 100 people and the space didn't feel too crowded or too empty). Throughout the planning and all the way up until the party was over, the staff (specifically Peter) was very accommodating to ensure we got everything we wanted, and that everything ran smoothly. Our guests are still raving about The Thaxton and how unique and great the wedding was. From the service, to the ambience, to the food (we used their in-house chef Chef Pierre), to their moonshine cocktails, and the DJ (I highly suggest using their recommended DJ, DJ Uptown), my husband and I could not be happier with how the day turned out!

2015-03-04T14:01:37 Response from the vendor

Wow! That is such great news! Thank you for taking the time to review us.