Book Your Wedding with The Thaxton

A BALLROOM IN ST. LOUIS, MO

With a restored art deco theme in an authentic 1920s building, the Thaxton in St. Louis, Missouri, is an excellent choice for a vintage-style wedding. Its capacity of up to 225 for cocktail-style events and 125 for sit-down dinners, makes this venue well suited for intimate weddings and receptions. The historic ballroom setting can be as simple and elegant or as lavish and extravagant as the couple desires.

Also known as the Thaxton Speakeasy, this space, with room for up to 120 guests, has an relaxed, underground vibe with its low-level colored lighting.

This striking space is decorated with vibrant colors and artwork from the Jazz Age. With room for up to 180 guests, the Grand Hall is ideal for those seeking a more opulent atmosphere.

The Mezzanine Area comes with a satellite bar and overlooks the Grand Hall. This is a great space for a more intimate celebration, accommodating up to 60.

The Thaxton charges flat fees for the ceremony, reception or a combination of the two. Ceremony only without reception must be booked between noon and 2 p.m. Unlike some venues, the Thaxton keeps the same flat fees for Fridays, Saturdays and Sundays.

Bar services are available for a per-person fee. The most basic package includes domestic beer bottles and wine, and pricier options can include draft and craft beers, premium wine, premium liquors and cocktails. All bar services run for a four-hour period.

Couples must select from the venue's list of preferred caterers, which, fortunately, is diverse, ranging from steaks cooked at Pappy's Smokehouse to brunch buffets and sumptuous desserts at the Butler's Pantry. The Thaxton also provides a list of other recommended wedding experts, including vintage transport providers, photographers, florists and candy buffet providers.

Among the amenities available at the Thaxton includes:

• Moonshine cocktails with some bar packages
  • Personalized boutique for the reception
  • Chairs, tables and rehearsal fees included in the reception fee
  • Handicap accessible
  • Liability insurance covered
  • Choice of 11 local catering providers
  • Package options for drinks

Elegant. Unique. Unforgettable.

Constructed in 1928 and restored to its Art Deco splendor, the historic Thaxton building is unsurpassed in elegance. This unique, multi-level space is perfect for your intimate function. Our opulent surroundings and superior service are sure to make your day one that is not forgotten.

Ballroom, Museum, Historic Venue

Bar + Drinks, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment

1009 Olive Street, St. Louis, MO (314) 323-3146

Reviewed on 10/17/2017 Emily W

Everything about our wedding at the Thaxton was perfect! The staff went out of their way to make sure everything was taken care of from the rehearsal to the end of the reception! Plus, it is an amazingly gorgeous venue. The pictures we took there are unbelievable!

2017-10-18T10:05:30 Response from the vendor

That makes our hearts happy to hear! Thank you for choosing The Thaxton!

Reviewed on 7/05/2017 Erin G

Our wedding was 2 weeks ago at the Thaxton and it was just perfect! My guests were so impressed with the building's old world flair and artwork, it was unique, fun, and kinda of a magical place for such a big life event. Peter and Mad Dog were so easy to work with and helped me... Read More with every request during planning. They always responded promptly and worked with me when I had a special request. My husband and I like to have a good time, so they made sure to stick to our timeline in order to get to the dance floor on time. The Thaxton's downstairs speakeasy was perfect for dancing the night away, and all of the bars scattered around the event were perfect for our large crowd. Mad Dog made sure that we were taken up and down on the elevator to help me with my dress. For the bride and groom who wants an classy St. Louis wedding that is actually fun and not uptight...the Thaxton is the way to go. Our guests said it was the best wedding venue they had ever seen. The Thaxton's prices are also so reasonable compared to other venues in St. Louis that don't even hold a candle to this place. Do yourself a favor and tour this place for your wedding...you will not be disappointed. Also, our wedding picture are even more gorgeous with the 1920's art decor art behind us, you couldn't pay for that type of backdrop.

2017-08-10T10:03:48 Response from the vendor

So many kind words! We are humbled. Thank you so much. You review means the world to us!

Reviewed on 5/21/2017 Nicole G

My husband and I had our wedding and reception at the Thaxton on 5/6/17. The day could not have gone more smoothly and that is due largely in part to the wonderful staff at the Thaxton. During the planning phase, I was blown away with how organized Peter (the owner) was. He... Read More knew exactly how our evening would flow the best and made great suggestions based on our needs. He was also always extremely responsive and helpful via email during this time. He was present to lead our rehearsal at the venue the day before the event, which as a nervous bride, put my mind at ease that everything was under control. On the day, we were able to access the venue early to take photographs, which was ideal due to our timeline. Throughout the evening him and his staff, notably Mad Dog, lead the evening flawlessly. Mad Dog's attention to detail was remarkable, including ensuring my husband and I were happy and being taken care of throughout the evening. We received nothing but praise from our guests on their experience at our event. The venue is absolutely unique and gorgeous. Our photos came out amazing. I could not be more happy with our experience here and would absolutely recommend this venue for not only weddings, but any larger event. We cannot begin to express our thanks to the venue staff!

2017-05-22T10:59:42 Response from the vendor

Sometimes your reviews make us blush. This would be one of those times. Thank you!!

Reviewed on 10/20/2017 Angelique S

My husband and I had the most amazing wedding/reception at The Thaxton on 9/30/17. Kim, Peter, Mad Dog and the crew exceeded our expectations in every way. The venue is absolutely stunning and unique! Our guests are still raving about how much fun they had, it truly was a... Read More memorable night for everyone.

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 Ada P

There aren't enough nice words to describe this venue and staff! They all went above and beyond to make our crazy Halloween themed wedding perfect..and I mean perfect. Mad Dog is the man! And I highly recommend DJ Uptown for this venue as well. You will not find a more gorgeous... Read More and well run venue with the most amazing staff!!

2017-10-18T10:10:35 Response from the vendor

We appreciate your kind words. We love the creativity that makes each event special. And we especially love being a part of it! Thank you.

Reviewed on 9/18/2017 Sarah D

Once Bruce and I found The Thaxton, we knew this is where we wanted to get married. From day one, Peter provided me with answers to all my questions and eased any concerns I may have had. His knowledge and expertise created a sense of calm during the planning process and I was... Read More confident in him and the services The Thaxton provides! Peter and Kim provided an amazing atmosphere on the day of that was fun and relaxed. My guests were complimenting not only how beautiful and unique the venue was, but how attentive and wonderful all the staff were! I can't thank them enough for how wonderful everything turned out!!!!

2017-10-18T10:18:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you for sharing your wedding day with us! It is an honor and a pleasure.

Reviewed on 7/30/2017 Lara K

There are so many wonderful things about the Thaxton, I'm not sure where to start. My husband and I had our ceremony and reception there on 7/22/17. Before and throughout the event Peter, Mad Dog and Kim answered every question, considered every detail, and guided us through the... Read More evening. The venue itself was unique, beautiful, clean and accessible to everyone in our family (even the older and younger members). As someone who wasn't really into the whole "wedding thing", the Thaxton was perfect as little decor was needed due to the immense beauty of the building. In addition, minimal planning was necessary due to Mad Dog's excellent schedule. Highly recommended!

2017-08-10T10:00:21 Response from the vendor

Thank you for sharing! We are thrilled to hear you were pleased. Thank you for choosing The Thaxton.

Reviewed on 4/04/2017 Jessie H

We got married at The Thaxton on St. Patrick's Day, and it was everything we had imagined and more. The planning process was simple and fun--Peter made everything easy, and was incredibly accommodating in letting us see the space multiple times and coordinating with our vendors.... Read More Peter and Mr. Mad Dog ran the event flawlessly--we didn't have to worry about ANYTHING during the night, and it all flowed perfectly. The space was spectacular, all of our guests loved it, and we could not be happier with our choice.

2017-04-06T11:47:35 Response from the vendor

Well that is lovely to hear! Thank you so much for choosing The Thaxton!

Reviewed on 11/17/2016 Olivia B

We had our wedding at The Thaxton and everything was awesome! Mad Dog, Kim, and Peter all did a great job of making the day perfect. Request a tour and as you walk through the building you will instantly fall in the love with the charm!

2017-04-06T11:48:17 Response from the vendor

Thank you! We are charmed as well!

Reviewed on 11/15/2016 Katie M

LOVE the Thaxton. Such a unique venue and amazing people to work with. Peter and Mad Dog took care of everything the day of and really listened to what we wanted. It's such a great wedding venue with different levels and spaces. It's so well decorated you don't really need to... Read More worry about additional decor.

2017-04-06T11:50:33 Response from the vendor

Thank you! We appreciate you and your review.

Reviewed on 11/03/2016 Katie K

My husband and I recently had our rehearsal dinner here and had THE BEST experience. Peter was so great to work with. We decided on a 1920s themed event with live music with a true Prohibition era feel. He went above and beyond to make this night one our friends still keep... Read More talking about! Peter was prompt to respond to our needs, took a great deal of time to meet with us in person about details, and truly invested himself into our experience. I would HIGHLY recommend the Thaxton for any special event, rehearsal dinner, or wedding reception. You will not be sorry. I wish I could relive our experience 100 times over again! Peter and his staff are amazing!

2016-11-15T10:48:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for sharing your experience and your wedding celebrations with us!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Corey B

We absolutely loved this venue and the owners. Peter and Kim far exceeded our expectations. The service was like no other. They are true masters of their art. They were able to read the event and act quickly and appropriately to fill any roll that needed to be filled. When the... Read More guest book polaroid camera stopped working, Peter filled in to make sure the job was done. I would be talking with a group of people for a long period of time, and he was watching for when I needed more drinks, and would come up and ask what I needed. They were also very intuitive when it comes to... interesting family dynamics. He is 110% about the hapiness of the bride and groom, and those come first - however, he's a master at making people feel calm and comfortable and can make awkward situations happy situations. The venue itself is absolutely beautiful and unforgettable. We had the best night and didn't want to leave. There was the one downside to the night ; it had to end! Bottom line, if you are reading this and considering The Thaxton - just go for it. You will have the best night of your life.

2016-11-01T14:49:24 Response from the vendor

The best night of your life is exactly what we strive for. Thank you so much for your review!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Katie W

I attended a wedding reception at The Thaxton when I was in high school and I told my mom The Thaxton is what I want for my wedding...and I kept my promise! I didn't even tour other venues. If the opulence of the building isn't enticing enough, just wait until you meet Peter,... Read More Kim, or Mad Dog! Peter always replied to my emails within a day...sometimes within minutes! He constantly reassured me how beautiful my reception would be, and he kept me stress free! During the reception, Mad Dog was our guide. He let us know what to do next and when...and thank god because otherwise I would have been so lost! All of my guests loved him, too. The Thaxton is a seriously unique package, and you will not regret celebrating your wedding here!

2016-11-01T14:51:50 Response from the vendor

That is so cool! We are both flattered and honored. Thank you.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Lauren S

We just had our wedding this past weekend at The Thaxton and I can honestly say it was the best day of our lives! Peter, Kim, Mad Dog, Jerry (DJ Uptown) and the entire staff are exceptional. From the day we first looked at the venue they were always available to answer any... Read More question no matter if it was a big issue or small. The day of our wedding could not have gone smoother and Justin & I did not have to worry about a thing during the event because they had everything taken care of. Many of our guests were from out of town and have attended several weddings, and they said this was the best wedding they have ever been to! I highly recommend DJ Uptown, he had people on the dance floor all night and played anything we wanted!! I am SO happy we chose the Thaxton for our special day and I can't even imagine having it anywhere else. Thank you so much for making the day so wonderful!!

2016-10-19T09:26:34 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the exceptionally nice review! We are honored that you chose The Thaxton.

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Julie H

My husband and I had our ceremony and reception at The Thaxton last weekend. From the moment we walked in, we knew this was the place! It was the first and only venue we even toured. We knew we wanted a spot that would accommodate the ceremony and reception all in one, that also... Read More had availability to do food stations. Peter had a vision for us immediately - he drew a mock up floor plan, walked us through the schedule for the evening, told us how the dance floor would work - and this was all on our first tour! From then until the day of, he answered my countless question and gave me comfort in our decisions. On our wedding day, Peter and Kim collaborated with my vendors to turn the facility into the most magical place we could imagine. The ceremony was warm, romantic and whimsical. They flipped to the reception, and the room was buzzing with excitement from all our guests. I can't even imagine how many times I had guests come up to us and compliment the venue. We even heard that it was the most beautiful wedding some had ever attended. To top it all off, Mr. Mad Dog swept us off our feet. He was attentive to us, provided us guidance throughout the night for where we should be, and even brought us drinks when we needed them. He was touched by our vows, and we could tell from the start that our night truly mattered to him. The Thaxton turned our dreams into reality. If we could live in that moment forever, we would. There is not one thing we would change, and we owe it all to Peter, Kim and Mad Dog!!

2016-09-27T16:07:34 Response from the vendor

We were honored. And we are proud! Thank you for such kind words.

Reviewed on 9/18/2016 Morgan P

My husband and I were lucky enough to book the Thaxton as our reception venue for our wedding day! I can honestly say that the day could not have been anymore perfect. The staff at the Thaxton were kind and helpful. Mad Dog helped the evening run so smoothly. Our guests were... Read More obsessed with the building itself. It is something special that can't even be explained without seeing it! The drinks and infused moonshine were delicious. The bartenders were fun and interactive and the music had every person dancing until the lights came on! I would not change a thing about our special day and it is all thanks to Peter, Kim, Mad Dog, and the rest of the Thaxton crew. I would recommend this venue to anyone looking to have a memorable reception that leaves a lasting impression. I am still getting texts about how amazing ours was!

2016-09-27T16:01:11 Response from the vendor

We were the lucky ones. Thank you for choosing The Thaxton!

Reviewed on 8/30/2016 Kate S

My husband and I were recently married (ceremony and reception) at The Thaxton, and we absolutely LOVED our experience there! From the very beginning, Peter helped us to coordinate our wedding day at the venue. He was always available to answer any questions we had and was... Read More incredibly helpful with suggestions. The day of the wedding went off without a hitch. Mad Dog did a fantastic job keeping the night flowing from one event to the next, and he was with us at every key event to make sure my husband and I knew exactly where we needed to be at what time. Peter, Kim, and the rest of the staff kept everything running smoothly the entire night. The night was totally stress free for us and our guests. Everyone could not stop talking about how gorgeous and unique The Thaxton was and how smoothly everything ran. We truly had a perfect evening, and we will never forget our absolutely wonderful experience there. We are so happy we booked The Thaxton- there is no other venue like it! Thank you for giving us an amazing, unforgettable wedding!!

2016-09-27T15:59:43 Response from the vendor

Thank you! Amazing and unforgettable is what we strive for!

Reviewed on 7/28/2016 Jacqueline V

Perfection! My ceremony and reception took place at the thaxton a few weeks ago and I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Peter and Kim are so kind and so helpful! The day went off without any problems and they allowed us to visit the location a number of times before... Read More the big day. They coordinated with all of our vendors and even made all of the arrangements for the linens and with DJ Uptown (who was amazingly courteous and professional). The change over between ceremony and reception was so quick and clean that I missed the whole thing and the staff working the bar were quick, kind, and friendly. Highly, highly, highly recommend hosting your event here. Also, the place is gorgeous, pictures don't do it justice, you must see it to believe it.

2016-07-29T10:21:28 Response from the vendor

Perfection? Yay!!! You have no idea how happy that makes us. Many thanks for sharing your day with us!

Reviewed on 6/23/2016 Nicole G

My husband found this and one other venue (which happened to be the #1 rated location on Wedding Wire) to review for our wedding, and we knew from the second Peter met us at the door of The Thaxton, this was where we needed to have our reception. This venue is absolutely... Read More beautiful and Peter and Kim were so accommodating and wonderful. A bonus is that The Thaxton is already so beautifully decorated, it's not really necessary to go overboard on any additional decorations. We had around 160 guests and used all four floors of the venue, which made for an interesting experience and also gave the older guests more quiet spaces to enjoy the evening. Not only that, but I was a little overwhelmed when it came to picking other vendors for our various needs and Peter totally came through with some fantastic recommendations. Kim was lovely to work with and extremely calm throughout the set up and evening of the event... she made me feel sane. And last, but definitely not least, we had the wonderful Mad Dog helping us through the night of the reception. He kept us on track, provided fantastic advice and suggestions, and he helped us expertly dodge through the crowd of well-wishers as we moved from cutting the cake, to our first dance, to partying the night away in the Speakeasy. Mad Dog made sure we had fun! I cannot recommend any other venue more than I do The Thaxton, for any event!

2016-07-29T10:28:57 Response from the vendor

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. Your recommendation and review are gold to us!

Reviewed on 6/08/2016

My wife and I had our wedding reception here, and it was as phenomenal as expected! We love the staff; everyone is accommodating and helpful, from the planning to the night of. We could plan the night a million times and I don't think we'd ever think of choosing another place... Read More because of the people and its decor. In fact, I had a birthday bash last year at The Thaxton and the wedding reception still felt fancy and special as ever! Plus, every guest has raved about it!!! The Thaxton is definitely LGBT friendly, too. I'm a lesbian transgender woman - so I'm part of two of those letters - and I have never felt uncomfortable or unwelcome. I've felt the nothing but positivity and therefore find the staff simply wonderful! Basically, The Thaxton is wonderfully run and the pictures show how amazing its flare and style are. If your guest list fits, I can't imagine anyone ever having a bad experience it. A+ and a million stars for The Thaxton!!! <3

2016-06-09T12:40:11 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking to time to share your experience! We are beyond honored that you chose The Thaxton more than once for such special events. Much gratitude!

Reviewed on 4/30/2016 Brian Z

The Thaxton is an amazing place to have a wedding! The decor and ambiance are incredible and really adds to the wedding vibe. Peter made sure everything went off without a hitch and Mad Dog was always there to make sure my wife and I were taken care of and stress free. They... Read More kept the flow going smooth all night. It was so fun!!! Thank you for helping us have such an incredible wedding!!!

2016-05-02T20:00:54 Response from the vendor

That is amazing! Thanks for your review and for choosing The Thaxton!

Reviewed on 4/04/2016

It's hard to believe all of the good reviews that you read about the Thaxton when you are doing a venue search. We just had our wedding last night. Peter, Kim and Mad Dog run an unbelievable venue. Even without their hospitality the venue itself is elegant, unique and brings a... Read More completely different atmosphere than typical weddings. But what makes this absolutely stunning and gorgeous location for a wedding even better is are the staff that make the evening an easy, stress free moment for the Bride and Groom. Peter is wonderful leading up to the event, providing ideas and insights to what works well at the Thaxton. Anything from music to perfect picture locations. Once your evening is underway both Peter and Mad Dog make sure you and you Bride/Groom want for nothing. Mad Dog will usher you through the night with a calm and collective attitude. You will be able to enjoy yourself and not have to worry about anything. If there Is ANY downside to the venue, it is that you'll be to busy taking pictures with your bride/groom and not downstairs in the lounge after the reception dinner. The lounge is only something I can describe as a scene out of a Tim Burton's Batman Movie, and is easily my most favorite part of the venue. If I could only make one recommendation is that you start your event early, and end it late. It is truly a once in a lifetime experience if you are considering this location for a wedding venue. If this is even a "maybe" on your list you have to see peter and get the tour. Thank you Peter, Kim and Mad Dog for such and unforgettable evening.

2016-04-05T09:13:11 Response from the vendor

We are humbled and thankful that you think so highly of us. And of course, we LOVE to hear it! Words can not express our gratitude for your review. Thank you much.

Reviewed on 2/16/2016 Kristen P

Our wedding was as beautiful as the decor of this building. When I was looking for a wedding venue, all I knew is that I wanted it to be unique and this place fulfilled every expectation I had and more. Peter, Terry (Mad Dog), and the rest of the staff were amazing, attentive... Read More and very supportive of my crazy ideas. They took everything that I had in mind, which consisted of burlesque performers, circus acts, and ballerinas and made it all into a reality. Also, knowing I was very persistent on keeping to a timed schedule, made sure that everything ran smoothly and that my guests were always entertained and taken care of. A truly incredible experience that I wish I could relive every day. This place is a hidden gem in St. Louis that everyone should at least visit just to bask in how stunning the building and the artwork is. Any event here would be truly one to remember.

2016-02-22T16:19:36 Response from the vendor

Thank you for sharing such a creative and beautiful wedding with us! We appreciate your review.

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Lauren M

My husband and I got married here in March of 2013. From the minute I stepped into the door to check the place out to clean up after the wedding every single aspect was taken care of! I didn't have to worry about a thing when it came to my venue and coordination the day of my... Read More ceremony. Peter was really the BEST thing a bride could ask for. It truly is a gorgeous place and we still get compliments to this day over a year later!

2015-10-30T09:27:26 Response from the vendor

Yay! A stress free wedding is a thing of beauty. Many thanks for your review!

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Megan D