Welcome to The Wedding Dress

The Wedding Dress is a quaint boutique centrally located by the Connecticut River on Main Street in Portland. Award winning designer, Shelley Bailey, has personally selected a collection of striking gowns and beautiful accessories just for you! Call for your appointment today. 860-342-5361

Bridesmaid Dresses, Flower Girl Dresses, Mother of the Bride Dresses, Wedding Dresses, Dresses, Alterations, Custom Designs, Private Appointments Available, Fashion

222 Main St, Portland, CT (860) 342-5361

LOVED THEM!!!

Reviewed on 11/18/2014 Kristen D

I cannot say enough about the Wedding Dress in Portland and would recommend them to any bride. This is a smaller shop that provides a very personable experience with a fantastic selection, amazing service and great pricing. Lisa was my consultant and she nailed it!!! although... Read More Shelley, and all of the staff were all extraordinary. I wasn't quite sure what I was looking for and she made all the right suggestions and had invaluable advice. I couldn't believe the flexibility the store provided, they even had a seamstress available on the spot to show me what type of alterations could be made ... "pick ups here, imaging with this extra jewel here, try this belt..." I have been to several larger shops that could not hold a candle to their selection, expertise and overall fun experience. When my car battery died at the end of our visit, they even jumped it for me . . . before I even bought anything. This is a must stop for any bride!!!!

2014-11-19T19:25:47 Response from the vendor

Thanks for the kind words, Kristen. We loved working with you! So glad you enjoyed your experience...looking forward to seeing you again. Best regards, Shelley :)

Stress Free Experience!

Reviewed on 8/28/2014 Diana L

I can't thank The Wedding Dress enough for all they did to make my day perfect! Lisa, Shelly and Dora were super patient and helpful. I ordered a customized dress when I wasn't able to find exactly what I wanted on the rack...and I had a short time line from dress order to... Read More wedding day. No issues whatsoever. Great selection and pricing was very fair. They're amazing!

One of a Kind Experience!

Reviewed on 10/21/2010 Jessica S

Lisa and Shelley at The Wedding Dress were totally awesome! I had the best experience there out of the 4 shops I went to. It is an adorable boutique with a large selection of dresses that fit my budget. And I got 1 on 1 attention without feeling rushed or pressured into making a... Read More decision. I highly recommend checking out The Wedding Dress!

Reviewed on 6/14/2017 Jennifer Q

I highly recommend The Wedding Dress. I went to a few different places in the area and wasn't impressed by the service. Once I found my dress at The Wedding Dress, I knew I didn't need to look anywhere else. Shelley is so sweet, I love that they make appointments to give you... Read More the one on one experience. She makes you feel like a princess. The dresses are gorgeous, I found my dream dress and the prices are reasonable. She has quality designers that are beautiful and well made. Do not waste your time going to a David's Bridal or a big box shop, shop small business! You will not be disappointed!

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Ashley C

Shelley and the rest of her team at The Wedding Dress are AMAZING!! After a failed appointment at another boutique close by, my friends and I discovered TWD. I am so glad we did!! I only had TWO MONTHS until I needed the dress in my possession, and they made it happen! Even... Read More though they were very busy, and I was a walk in, they still made sure I felt special. I recommend them to anyone and everyone!

Reviewed on 1/30/2017 Heather O

I had a great experience buying my dress at The Wedding Dress. Lisa was so wonderful to work with and really helped me make the right decision. I would highly recommend The Wedding Dress!

Reviewed on 11/05/2016 Alicia A

Shelley and the rest of The Wedding Dress staff have been absolutely amazing during my search for a wedding dress and bridesmaids dresses. Before my bridal appointment at The Wedding Dress, I had thought I found my wedding gown already, but I was pleasantly surprised with what... Read More we found at The Wedding Dress. The dresses there are stunning and my mom, friends, and I had such a great time picking one out. There is only one appointment at a time, so of all the attention is on you. They helped me try on dresses within my budget and Shelley and Lisa basically made a miracle happen with the dress of my dreams. I cannot wait to wear it on my wedding day! After searching many boutiques and websites, I decided to have my bridesmaids order their dresses with Shelley as well. The bridesmaids receive 10% off their order when the bride gets her dress there. Shelley has been patient and gone above and beyond in my search for dresses in the correct color. We found exactly what I was hoping for!! I am looking forward to our appointment this winter when all of the girls are going to pick out which dress they want to wear. Shelley and her staff will make you feel like family. I am so glad she has been a part of my wedding planning process. I will be forever grateful for her help!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Christine C

I came here looking for a formal dress as a guest of a wedding. They had an amazing selection of dresses and the staff was so kind and welcoming. They immediately pulled dresses based on my body type and I looked through as well and chose a few. They were very knowledgeable and... Read More had great genuine feedback for me on every dress. I will be returning again for any other event I have!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Madison M

If you want to feel comfortable, welcome and have fun with your weddding dress experience, this is the place for you! These ladies are amazing and know what looks good on every body type. Out of all the shops I visited they were the best experience. Very down to earth and... Read More sweet ladies, never once made me feel pressured to buy. If I could give 10 stars I would! I found a beautiful formal gown for an event from them, left extremely happy!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Linzee C

Amazing experience! I went looking and did not buy on my first visit. The customer service was excellent and these girls made me feel so welcome. I never felt pressured to buy, they were sincerely trying to help me find my dream gown! Their knowledge and recommendations made... Read More the process so smooth. I ended up going back and buying my gown from them. Best boutique in CT hands down!

Reviewed on 8/05/2016 Barbara W

There are not enough kind words for the ladies at The Wedding Dress! My sister in law, sister, and a couple of friends had gotten their dresses there so I was hopeful to find the perfect dress there. However, it was the second bridal shop I went to, the first one being an... Read More absolute nightmare. I was discouraged walking in, but in minutes Lisa was able to turn everything around and I couldn't wait to start trying dresses on. She made me feel comfortable and encouraged me to try anything and everything even if it was not something I would have picked out myself. Which was great advice, since the only dress I personally picked out was one of my least favorites when it was on. Lisa is super experienced and after trying on just 1 dress and picking out the couple of things I liked about it she was able to pick out the perfect dress for me. I still tried on at least 10 dresses to be sure, but she really nailed it. The Wedding Dress was also super accommodating to setting up fittings with my travel schedule (We got married in CT but live out of state). They even were able to schedule two fittings within a week during my last trip to CT before the wedding. They made me feel like a beautiful bride on every visit to the shop. I could not have asked for a better wedding dress experience.

Reviewed on 6/28/2016 Angela D

My experience with The Wedding Dress was wonderful . From beginning to end, the staff were a joy to with with! I loved my wedding dress but wanted some adjustments to the look of back . Lisa and Shelley worked so hard to bring this vision to reality. They kept me up to date on... Read More their work with the designer and ensured I felt comfortable with each step in the process. I absolutely love final product and am very appreciative of all their hard work, professionalism and kindness. I highly recommend The Wedding Dress for not only bridal dresses but also bridesmaids' dresses - they did an excellent job with those as well for my wedding. Dora, the seamstress they work with, is also fantastic . Truly a wonderful experience all around!

Reviewed on 10/24/2015 Elizabeth P

I cannot say enough great things about this shop! The people, vibe and girls working there are amazing. They are all attentive, helpful and truly care about finding the perfect dress for you. The shop feels homey and is very cute! They have a fabulous selection of gowns and... Read More designers, there is something for everyone. Can't go wrong here.

Reviewed on 10/01/2015 Jessie C

The Ladies at The Wedding Dress are terrific! From my first appointment where I wasn't able to pinpoint a dress I loved, but felt soo pampered compared to other shops I had visited, to my second appointment (which I went into with an exact budget and style) and found the perfect... Read More dress! They were nothing but attentive and helpful with ideas on belts, jewelry and hair pieces. I never felt pressured or rushed to make a decision, and always felt like I was their main priority. Alterations were a breeze! So much dedication and joy from the team there, you can tell it truly makes them happy! Would recommend this little boutique shop to anyone looking for a wedding dress!

Jill and Jeff wedding

Reviewed on 9/15/2015 Jill K

The service at the wedding dress was incredible. The staff were right there helping me try on dresses and finding the perfect one(even though it was kind at the last minute) They were attentive and I would recommend them to anyone looking for a wedding dress/bridesmaid dress

Reviewed on 7/01/2015 Katie B

I had a great experience looking for a dress here! The staff was very kind and helpful, and you could tell that they really enjoyed their jobs. The Wedding Dress had a wide variety of dresses in all styles, and colors! It is a small store so you truly get a personal experience... Read More and the opportunity to find what you want. I did not find my dress here and there was no pressure to buy or to spend more than I wanted.

Great service!

Reviewed on 2/21/2015 Chelsea B

I had an excellent experience here! Lisa and Shelly are both super experienced and wonderful ladies to work with. I found a beautiful dress here, but when I experienced doubts, Lisa was very understanding, talked with me for a long time and set up an another full bridal... Read More appointment just so I could make sure it was THE one. After several months of planning, we experienced a minor wedding crisis and both ladies were flexible and accommodating. They have a wonderful selection of dresses ranging from simple to couture and were able to recommend nearby vendors and cafes to make it a full experience! I couldn't have made it through the past few months if they hadn't been so wonderful!

Great wedding dress boutique

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Amanda C

The Wedding Dress was the first (and last) place I looked for my dress. I was so impressed with the high quality of the service and with the selection of dresses in various styles and prices. When I went in with my family to look for dresses, I honestly hadn't expected to... Read More find something. I thought I'd be much pickier and I was shopping pretty early (about a year and half before the wedding). Still, I went in prepared to buy if I found THE dress. The dress I ultimately bought was probably the fifth one I'd tried on, but I wasn't sure at that point. I thought I should try more. After three hours of trying on dresses, I went back to two from the beginning and switched in and out of them several times. I'd more than exceeded the time that an appointment should have taken, and the shop was supposed to have closed, but I never felt rushed by the staff. They really seemed like they cared about whether I found a dress I loved. I did finally decide and I bought my dress that day. Throughout the process of fittings, the staff was again very helpful, and the dress fit absolutely perfectly by my wedding day. The alterations were done extremely well and I have no complaints. I definitely recommend The Wedding Dress! They helped make my wedding perfect and stress-free.

my dress

Reviewed on 10/07/2013 sabrina s

I loved my dress, some of the alterations could have been better. The girls were very nice and helpful.

The Easiest Part of my Wedding

Reviewed on 7/23/2013 Stephanie P

Everyone at this store was perfect. They specialize in affordable high quality dresses. Their tailor is amazing. Nobody should go anywhere else to look! A wonderful dress shopping experience from start to finish.

thrilled with them

Reviewed on 12/05/2012 SABRINA A

I got my dress here on Black Friday last year. I called them about a week prior asking for there hours and price range because I was going to stop down and the woman on the phone told me they were going to have a HUGE sample sale black friday. I got an appoint and went there and... Read More it was amazing. The place is tiny but they crammed an unbelievable amount of dresses in there. I tried on a bunch of dress, the girl was friendly and helpful. I found my dress on the rack for less than 10% what the ticket said because it was a sample leftover. It was gorgeous!

found my dream dress!

Reviewed on 11/03/2012 C M

I went to other shops and none can compare to the service I received at the Wedding Dress. I tried on over 50 dresses before I found "the one" and none of the wonderful women that work there lost their patience when I was indecisive. They made me feel so welcome and really... Read More seemed to want to make me happy. Got the entire bridal party's dresses and jewelry here. My alterations were first rate. If you want great personal service and beautiful dresses this is the place to go!

Give yourself as much time as possible to order

Reviewed on 10/17/2012 Julia D

I loved my wedding dress! The service was great and I didn't feel pressured to order something I didn't want. (I think that it helped I picked the designer (Essence of Australia) and had an idea what I was looking for before I went) My only complant is that I ordered my... Read More dress in March for a September wedding. I was told it would come in the end of July, but instead it arrived the end of August 2 weeks before my wedding. (I think it's a little ridiculous that 6 months is considered 'later than ideal')

beautiful dress

Reviewed on 10/16/2012 Andrea B

For a small shop,they had a great selection of dresses. My dress was absolutely stunning and I got compliments even from the guys. I felt wonderful and couldn't have asked for a better dress and such outstanding service from the staff.

Great Value!

Reviewed on 10/03/2012 Caity C

I found my wedding dress upon my first visit to The Wedding Dress. They had an excellent selection, fabulous prices, and even better service! I would absolutely recommend buying your dress here!