The William Aiken House

Charleston, SC

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Landmark Historic Home in Downtown Charleston, SC

"The Premier Wedding Venue in SC" - Martha Stewart Weddings + BRIDES Magazine. The William Aiken House has been meticulously restored to its 1810 design, complete with period antiques and artwork. The house boasts both indoor and outdoor entertaining spaces, including two ballrooms, two sitting rooms, two dining rooms, double piazzas overlooking a garden and courtyards.

• Outdoor - Covered

Ballroom, Garden, Historic Venue, Mansion + Estate, Tented, Trees

Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Rentals + Equipment

771ca283 cad1 47cb 9d5f 94e8c360e3be~rs 100
D5539e19 8bbd 4a86 b4c8 d7be04c6c773~rs 100

456 King St, Charleston, SC (843) 853-1810

Reviewed on 9/20/2016 Kimberly P

Thank you to Amber, Tabitha, and the entire staff at the William Aiken House for giving me the fairytale wedding of my dreams! My husband and I are from Detroit and had a destination wedding in Charleston this May. From the moment I saw the William Aiken House it was love at... Read More first site. The WAH had EVERYTHING I was looking for in a wedding venue for 150 guests: a fabulous location in the historic district close to our hotel, space for an outdoor ceremony on a beautifully manicured lawn and indoor ballrooms for dinner and mingling that rivaled any historic mansion I'd ever seen. From the moment my wedding planners and I started working with Amber and Tabitha, we knew we were in good hands. They were so organized and responsive and most importantly sweet! As an out-of-town bride there was so much to coordinate including numerous rentals for the venue, but the WAH ladies put me at ease and helped me stay within my budget. Beyond the sheer beauty of the house and grounds and the impeccable southern hospitality the staff provides, book this venue if you want the most delicious wedding catering you've ever tasted! I'm not joking when I say that the tasting was my husband's favorite part of the whole process. The food at our wedding and farewell brunch (at Patrick Property's Fish Restaurant) was absolutely divine. Our guests are still raving about it! We opted for strolling stations to give our guests more of a variety. You must try their duck confit appetizer, fried chicken and biscuits, mushroom pasta sauce and insanely amazing wedding cake! The best part is that the chefs work with you to build custom dishes if you desire, which included chocolate chip cookie sandwiches with homemade cookie dough ice cream for me. Also, if the Carriage Suites are available the night of your wedding, consider renting them for lodging! The suites are large and gorgeously decorated and it was so special to stay on the WAH grounds where we were married. If you are lucky enough to book a date at this 5-star venue, you will not regret it for a minute. It's truly one of the most exquisite wedding venues in the country. I continue to tell my husband that our wedding was the best day of my life and more perfect than I could have ever imagined.

Once in a Lifetime Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 7/06/2015 Caitlin G

From my very first day living in Charleston, I have been in awe of the William Aiken House and its magnificent beauty. When it came time to pick a wedding venue, it was an obvious choice that it had to be here. From the very beginning the staff was exceptional and always a... Read More pleasure to work with! They were incredibly helpful at working with a more reasonable budget and offering ways to cut costs and help us have the wedding of our dreams within our budget. The day of was an experience I and every single person attending my wedding will never forget. The food was fantastic, the ceremony and grounds are stunning - believe me - guests will not stop talking about it! This is the BEST wedding venue in Charleston and the staff at Patrick Properties went above and beyond to make sure it was the BEST day of my life :)

Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 2/13/2014 Melissa F

As an out of town bride, my husband and I wanted to plan a historic Charleston wedding. We searched for a historic venue and the William Aiken House was perfect. The Patrick Properties Team worked hard to ensure that we understood the process of renting a historic property... Read More since you have to rent everything to fill the property and bring in everything from soup to nuts. This can drive up costs, so we decided on a February wedding. This saved up a considerable amount of money. The weather and venue was stunning. Our guests were thrilled! The food at the William Aiken House is catered by a local restaurant, Fish. It is amazing! We received many compliments from guests about this. We enjoyed the tasting most of all! The William Aiken House will pose the perfect back drop for your pictures and perfect wedding. The staff will work hard to make it a wonderful experience for you.

Reviewed on 11/19/2017 Laurel D

The staff were amazing throughout the entire process of planning my wedding day. The location was beautiful! The staff help to accommodate me with a number of changes and were very proactive the day of to help make the event the best day of my life! The food was wonderful. We... Read More considered a number of locations but were thrilled with The William Aiken House!

Reviewed on 3/28/2017 Hayley B

We booked our wedding with William Aiken House and we couldn't be happier we did! We fell in love with the property from the moment we had our first tour with Jackie, and her accommodations throughout the entire process, and our event manager Abigail could not have been more... Read More responsive, helpful, and over-all awesome. Our guests LOVED the uniqueness and location of the venue. The layout was so perfect and made for a fun and memorable night. The food was phenomenal!! We have received so many compliments on the food, and one of my husband and I's favorite memories from our engagement was doing the tasting for the wedding because the food is incredible!! You will not regret having your wedding here!! They will work with your budget and ensure that you have the best wedding you could ever imagine!

Reviewed on 4/12/2016 Taylor K

What can I say, The William Aiken House was our dream venue!! I had given up on antebellum style homes as a venue when I saw The WAH and absolutely fell head over heels! It's fantastic for any guest range, even our small 80. The staff works tirelessly to keep the grounds... Read More stunning in every aspect! Aside from the beauty of the venue, my husband and I still can't get over the staff!! Working with the ladies at PPHG (Patrick Properties Hospitality Group) was absolutely fabulous! It made our entire wedding process so much easier. I was blown away by their service on our big day, they made sure that my husband and I were taken care of in every single way possible from cocktails to pre-made plates of our dinner selections. The staff at PPHG and The WAH truly go above and beyond to make your big day everything you've planned, hoped, and dreamed of!

Reviewed on 1/30/2016

I'm embarrassed for your establishment! Shaming a nursing mother into pumping in a disgusting bathroom. Especially when she called ahead of time for special accommodations for a private room to express milk in and then when it came time to collect "Megan" the women who was... Read More suppose to be helpful basically laughed in her face. And then seemed very put out at this request. Shame on you! Apparently breastfeeding mothers are not welcome!

Reviewed on 1/30/2016 karissa b

Don't book here if you are a breastfeeding mom or if any of your guests are!! This establishment ought to be ashamed of itself!

Reviewed on 11/17/2015 jordan d

Just dreamy. Searched all the venues in Charleston and this took our breath away!

Reviewed on 7/06/2015 Jesse L

The William Aiken House is simply the most beautiful and historic place to get married in downtown Charleston. You do not need a ton of flower arrangements or other decorations, because the house and property are breathtaking. The staff is very professional and efficient and... Read More our wedding day was a dream!

Dream Venue. Highly Recommend!

Reviewed on 1/25/2015 Stephanie W

We knew from the moment we first stepped foot on the property that we were going to have our wedding at the William Aiken House. The ceremony and reception were above and beyond our admittedly very high expectations. Dealing with Patrick Properties was wonderful; they made the... Read More full process from the first visit through the tasting to the "day of" coordination a breeze. Some of the highlights: - Excellent organization of the tasting and site visit. - The pastry chef did a wonderful job with the cake, and delivered exactly what we were looking for. - The food at the wedding was amazing. Not "amazing for wedding food", but amazing even by the high standards of the surrounding restaurants in Charleston. Overall,this venue could not have been more perfect; both the William Aiken House and Patrick Properties are highly recommended.

Beautiful But Cold

Reviewed on 1/19/2015 Vanessa D

Without a doubt, The William Aiken House was a beautiful setting for our wedding. The home has been magnificently restored, and the grounds are impeccable. The service staff were kind people. For the most part the service was good, however a bowl of soup was spilled on/next... Read More to a guest at the wedding, and the bartenders neglected to put the custom stirrers in the drinks and give out the custom cocktail napkins. We have nearly full boxes of each of these special touches at our house now. The bar packages are of lesser quality than you would expect at a venue of this caliber. Unfortunately during the entire planning process it felt like we were just another couple, and it was just another day to Patrick Properties. Our sales coordinator Amber, did everything within her power to accommodate our requests, however it was clear that she was representing a company that has incredibly strict policies. She made exceptions where she was able, but unfortunately the Patrick Properties policies are not often malleable. Patrick Properties' contracts are rigid, to put it mildly. It is clear that they are more interested in the bottom line than creating relationships with clients. Our banquet captain, whom we had worked with to craft the menu during the entire planning process, never came to say hello on the day of the big event. Beautiful setting, reasonable food, reasonable service, difficult planning process due to the company.

Great Venue!

Reviewed on 12/29/2014 Jenny R

We picked the William Aiken House for our venue because it was located right in the heart of Charleston, SC. There was really minimum decor needed since this venue has so much character! The only piece that we were not so pleased with was the fact that our contact/sales... Read More coordinator kept getting changed. I also did not feel like the William Aiken staff paid attention to detail. They would misspell our last name and forgot to put our engagement announcement (that we paid for) up on their marque. There were just small things along the way that were frustrating. I felt like for the amount of money we were paying for the venue that the staff should have made a better effort with us. However,on the day of the event everything went perfectly and I really could not be more pleased!

Gorgeous Set-up!

Reviewed on 5/12/2014 Jessica S

The William Aiken House was an incredible place to host our wedding and reception! The grounds are stunning and the staff is very attentive. They were easy to keep in contact with and they were happy to help us with any special requests we had!!

Most Amazing Wedding Planning Experience Ever

Reviewed on 3/10/2014 Jennifer D

Ever since the day we decided to have our wedding reception at The William Aiken House, we've known we were in the BEST possible hands when it came to wedding planning and all of the services that go along with having an event. Every aspect of working with the talented and... Read More caring individuals at The William Aiken House went way above any expectation I had. I know there were a lot of individuals that took part in making our wedding day so amazing, but I would never have been able to do any of the tedious planning without their in-house coordinator, Jackie Willis. She went above and beyond when it came to every single detail. Jackie made sure that every detail of every detail was perfect. She was receptive to all of my requests and ideas. Now that our wedding day has passed, I can look back fondly and know that Jackie was always so reassuring about everything and had everything under control (even when I would stress out about who knows every bride does at some point). Having a coordinator who works at the property has SO many advantages. She knows every layout possible and has so many ideas for different ways the space can work with your event. I'll move onto the overall service and food! My wedding was already a few weeks ago, and the deliciousness of the food and the professionalism of the service is still topic of conversation. Guests who were from out of town were in awe at the smoothness of the entire event and the beyond amazing service from the staff. The food provided by FISH was out of this world delicious. I could seriously go on and on about the service, food, coordination, and overall magical evening that would never have been able to happen if it weren't for the talented staff of PPHG. They are people who really care about making each special day unique and wonderful. I can't thank everyone who was part of our day enough. Thank you.

Beautiful location, terrific staff!

Reviewed on 8/21/2013 Rachelle H

I was married there on August 2, 2013 and it was just perfect!!

Rehearsal Dinner & Welcome Party

Reviewed on 8/15/2013

I couldn't decide on whether to use Lowndes Grove or the William Aiken House for my wedding reception - ultimately I decided to go with Lowndes Grove (only because of the water) and utilize William Aiken House for my rehearsal dinner and welcome party. The staff at WAH were... Read More willing to work with me on having a small rehearsal dinner for 40 guests and then a larger party (around 150) come in for a welcome reception after dinner. We offered yummy dessert options, some late night food and Bailey's milkshakes as guests arrived for the welcome reception! It was so great to hold all of my parties with PPHG because they could really help with menu selections and I felt comfortable all weekend long. I even held an after party at Fish restaurant after my wedding reception - this is a great idea and I highly recommend it!!! Our rehearsal dinner was very intimate in the upstairs ballroom and the food was impeccable. My guests are still raving over the short ribs and mac and cheese!! William Aiken House is also great because it is right on King Street and you don't have to provide any transportation for your guests. I will definitely be sending friends and family to William Aiken House!!

Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 5/23/2013 Meg C

The venue was absolutely beautiful and THE most perfect location. The reason I cannot give a glowing, 5 star review is the fact that the sales team pushes a WAY too hard to upsell you at every corner - treating your money as if it was of no value...just paper. If I hear the... Read More phrase "you haven't met your minimums yet", I might scream. (We went well over our minimums.) The William Aiken house has an event team lead that we worked with, and she was great and smoothed out the bumps the sales team created. Beware, when they say NOTHING comes with the venue, no plates, napkins, tables, chairs, glasses...they are not exaggerating. Even said, it was THE most beautiful wedding reception...

The best wedding venue we've ever seen...

Reviewed on 3/13/2013 Anand C

We already knew we were getting our dream venue in William Aiken House, but on our wedding day we were still surprised by the beauty of the William Aiken House and all the little touches. Why did we pick it? Location, functionality, and beauty. It is in the heart of... Read More Charleston and walking distance from hotels. With use of the mansion and the grounds, we could set up four venues in one: the outdoor ceremony area, the open DJ tent, the lounge in front of the carriage house, and the inside of the mansion itself. When you walk in off the street, you forget you're in the downtown area. Stunning. Part of the deal is that if you use the William Aiken House, you have to use their caterer. This is a very, very good thing. The food blew our guests away...the Indian food station using my Mom's recipes was really well done (the eggplant dish was sooo spicy...excellent!)...other food highlights included the late night chicken on a biscuit, the pimiento cheese (better than Magnolia's), and the beef carving station. As a bonus, we had no idea the delicious s'mores station would have a fire pit! We heard oohs and ahhs from friends and family all night. Most telling, the moms no longer seemed to care that the ceremony wasn't at a church. Our main contact, Amber Cote, was a pro throughout the whole process. When she said something or gave your opinion on what we should do, we could take it to the bank. She knew what we wanted before we did! To make a long story longer, it was the best wedding venue we've ever been to and the best wedding food we've ever eaten -- by far.

Stunning venue and amazing staff

Reviewed on 8/14/2012 Rowena P

I could go on and on about how beautiful the William Aiken House is, but you already knew that from looking at the pictures. I could also tell you that the house and grounds are even more stunning when you see it in person, but you could probably figure that out too. So why... Read More don’t I tell you about the amazing people, the ridiculously yummy food and the excellent level of service that I received throughout my wedding planning process. I lucked out in having a wedding for July in Charleston because WAH was doing a summer promotion with 50% off the location fee. So, a big bonus to start. And sure, in order to book at WAH, you have to use their in-house caterer Fish Restaurant. But that is a WONDERFUL thing. Not only will you have one less vendor to worry about, the food is incredible. We did the Lowcountry Buffet and it was simply perfection. It’s been 2 weeks since my wedding and my guests are still raving about how amazing everything tasted. Sarah and Margaret, and everyone behind the scenes at WAH made the whole process just so easy. From choosing the date to the proposal/contract to the tasting to finalizing the wedding day details, they were always just on top of it all, and super fun to work with. We booked the Carriage House suite for the day/night of the wedding – and it was (as expected) beautifully appointed and exactly what we needed. The William Aiken House is a spectacular location for a Charleston wedding, and the people behind the scenes made it a dream wedding for me.

Beautiful Venue and Excellent Staff

Reviewed on 3/28/2012 Tiffany H

I recently got married in February at The William Aiken House. It was very affordable during this month as we saved thousands of dollars. There is no need to spend much on decorating as it posses its own charm. I honestly, cannot say anything but positive about our experience.... Read More However, I will say that they provide NOTHING AT ALL... So, be careful with your rentals and headcount as it can quickly add up if you are trying to stick to a budget. The venue was perfect for us and we couldn't have asked for a better event coordinator!

William Aiken House Reception

Reviewed on 1/18/2012 Kelley B

We had our reception at The William Aiken House and loved everything about it! The house itself is exquisite and the grounds are also gorgeous! We got married in December and were very pleased with how easy it was to have tents and heaters brought in. We were very pleased with... Read More how much room there was for people to get around. People are still raving to us about the wonderful food! FISH also handled our cake, which turned out beautiful and very tasty. The service was great and the staff were there every step of the way making sure you didn't need anything. Very happy bride!! Kelley Barnes Myrick

William Aiken House

Reviewed on 12/13/2011 Lara G

Beautiful reception site!

Perfect Venue

Reviewed on 11/29/2011 melissa R

I booked this venue after only seeing it in a magazine and online and it was everything that I had hoped for!!

Perfect place in Charleston to have a wedding

Reviewed on 7/20/2011 Anna D

The William Aiken House is simply a beautiful, antebellum style house in the middle of downtown Charleston. From the antique style rooms to the lush courtyard, it provided a breathtaking setting for our July wedding. Everyone that we worked with was so organized, helpful, and on... Read More top of it which made the wedding day flow very well. The food provided by Fish catering had people drooling (def. get the grill station with swordfish). The house itself needed no addition to decorating and we did minimal floral arrangements outside since the courtyard already is very green and floral. You do have to do all of your rentals through an outside company, but we had a wedding coordinator help us with all of that. I would definitely recommend using the frame of a tent with bulb lights and draping instead of the top of the tent. It allows you to see the sky and enjoy the night under the stars rather than under a tent. You can go all out at this place, or you can do as we did and just use the house and its surroundings and have a pretty laid back, fun, and still beautiful reception. If you want a wedding to remember, this is definitely a special place!