Traverse the Tides

Long Island, NYC, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley & International

Bring us along on the start of your journey!

We believe your wedding day is a day you will want to relive a million times over and we want to be the ones who capture every moment. That’s why we will not do overly-posed cheesy stuff or put you in corny situations. The best way to document your relationship is to let it unfold naturally-with us there of course! Our work isn't traditional- we love couples that want something different and trust our vision and creativity in capturing their day.

Artistic, Documentary, Lifestyle

Bridal Portraits, Day After Session, Engagement

Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Weddings, Digital Files, Wedding Albums, Photo, Second Shooter Available

Long Island, NYC, Brooklyn, Hudson Valley & International (516) 662-3445

Reviewed on 12/23/2016 Christine C

AJ and Jennie gave us everything we wanted in a wedding photographer and more. In a long planning process, filled with many difficult decisions, choosing to work with AJ was by far the easiest one to make. His photos are undeniably amazing. His galleries really do speak for... Read More themselves. He is so talented at capturing moments that can be either beautiful and emotional or candid and fun. He really knows how to capture all of the essential parts of a wedding, while still finding a way to make your photos feel unique and special. They were both so great to work with. From the lead up, right through the big day, AJ and Jennie were professional, informative, and easy to work with. We told them that it was like working with two of our friends. They were able to give us direction and guide us through process, while still making the day feel casual and cozy. AJ’s excitement and passion was a huge boost of energy throughout the long day. He knows how to get the shots you want and give you the freedom to just be yourselves. All the little things that you inevitably worry about with a vendor, AJ and Jennie put them all to rest. They captured each moment and detail that we wanted, in a way that made the photos just as incredible as the real thing. We cannot recommend them highly enough and we hope to work with them again soon.

2016-12-23T20:43:45 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for the review Christine! You and Joe are such great people and we seriously loved capturing your wedding day. You guys made it easy for us- we couldn't ask for better clients and totally agree that we felt like we were working... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 12/22/2016 Abby J

AJ and Jennie captured our wedding in the best way. They are both amazing photographers and had the uncanny ability of catching all of our family and friends having the Best Time Ever at our wedding, over and over again. AJ really delivered when we expressed our desire to keep... Read More the formal portraits to a minimum and focus on the candid moments. They braved the rain and cold with us to get some truly unbelievable shots, and they were patient and creative when we insisted on getting both sides of our massive extended families all together for one big group shot (I don't recommend trying this if you value your sanity but AJ was all over it, and it came out perfectly). AJ is one of the most responsive vendors I've ever worked with-- he answered emails day or night within a couple of hours and proactively reached out to us at the various milestones leading up to the wedding. I look forward to booking AJ and Jennie for all of my future weddings!! (just kidding, Mike).

2016-12-22T18:57:36 Response from the vendor

Abby- thanks so much for all the kind words! We loved capturing your wedding- you guys were a blast to work with! We will totally shoot all of your future weddings.... hahaha.... how about vow renewals a few years down the road? :)

Reviewed on 12/22/2016 Brianne G

I was drawn immediately to AJ and Jennie's photos on their website. They have this incredible ability to capture a candid moment where you are able to feel the emotion from the photograph. The use of color and black and white is so tastefully done that it was a no brainer to... Read More book them for our wedding. Everything from the planning and time line to the day of was so easy with them. They were always coming up with creative ideas for photographs, and were helpful giving us tips and telling us what to do while letting us know what we were doing was working. Everytime I look at my wedding photos I am put back into that moment they were taken and can feel everything about it - that is what great photography is. It's hard to choose which images to photograph because I love them all.

2016-12-22T14:55:24 Response from the vendor

Brianne- it was such an honor to work with you guys and to capture your day! You were both so willing to go along with our ideas and we're so proud of the photos we created together! Thanks so much for the kind words!

Reviewed on 8/02/2017 Tatyana D

After a ton of research, my fiance and I selected Traverse the Tides and we are so glad that we did! AJ and Jennie went above and beyond and met us in Central Park at 5:30am! With the park all to ourselves, the pictures turned out amazing! Thank you!

2017-08-02T17:47:03 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Tatyana- we had a great time with you and Zak! Love how these photos turned out and so glad you guys do too!

Reviewed on 8/02/2017 Tatyana D

Reviewed on 6/14/2017 Julia G

AJ and his wife Jennie are awesome! Their style of photography is exactly what we were looking for (more editorial). They did our engagement photos and wedding photos and we had so many "usable" shots we were overwhelmed with choices which is a great place to be in! They are... Read More super friendly and have a way of setting you at ease--giving just enough direction so that you feel comfortable in your own skin; the makings of a great photo! They work well off of each other and were barely noticeable during our ceremony and reception, but still managed to capture so many wonderful pics! AJ and Jennie have great, easy-going personalities to boot! They were a fantastic addition to our day and were a pleasure to work with!

2017-06-14T10:59:38 Response from the vendor

Julia- you and Mike are the best! We had so much fun with you guys, both on your engagement session and wedding day. We really appreciate all the kind words- thank you so much!

Reviewed on 6/01/2017 Emma A

The experience was wonderful! From the beginning, AJ and Jennie worked with me and my now husband to curate an experience and investment that worked for us. They were willing to be flexible with us in creating a timeline as well, which was great! The quality of the pictures were... Read More amazing. So many beautiful and unconventional shots that really captured our day and our personalities. The results were certainly worth it. They were hands down one of the easiest and most positive vendors we worked with the entirety of wedding planning. If I have any friends getting married in the area, I am certainly recommending them.

2017-06-01T08:31:01 Response from the vendor

Emma!! You & Ian were amazing to work with- we had such a blast capturing so many moments with you guys! Thanks so, so much for having us be there for all of it!

Reviewed on 5/11/2017 Krista P

From the minute I spoke to AJ on the phone I knew he was the right fit for my wedding -- all about capturing meaningful moments instead of forced / posed portraits. He understood what I was going for and clearly communicated his philosophy and style to me. Also, his portfolio... Read More speaks for itself. Every step of the way in my planning AJ was responsive and helpful and an absolute pleasure to work with. He was on time, organized, and flexible with us on the day of the wedding. I never imagined we'd feel so comfortable being photographed but AJ made it easy and fun. I can't say enough about him and his work, I highly recommend him as a responsible and awesome person to work with and an amazingly talented photographer.

2017-05-11T14:57:55 Response from the vendor

Krista!!! You and Gerard are amazing- I honestly can't say enough good things about you both & how great it was to be part of your day. Thank you so, so much for having me there to capture it!

Reviewed on 3/17/2017 Christina D

In planning our wedding, I knew that the photographer would be one of the most important decisions we made--the pictures are what would we have long after the day was over. I met with several photographers and upon meeting AJ and Jennie, I knew immediately that they were the... Read More right fit for us. I am type A with many questions and my husband is very laid back and calm-AJ and Jennie saw this right away. They "got" us as a couple and made us both feel comfortable and worry free. We had a small, intimate wedding of 50 people and the photos from our wedding day so accurately reflect the vibe, feeling and memories of the day. Our photos are STUNNING and anyone who has seen them has raved; our candid shots are amazing, our posed pictures are gorgeous. The pictures were literally everything we could have hoped for-organic, natural and real. AJ and Jennie were such an important part of our very special day and the memories they captured will be with us forever. Thank you AJ and Jennie!

2017-03-20T19:40:39 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Christina & Phil! We're SO honored to have been able to capture your day. You guys are amazing- it feels like we made two new friends in working with you guys. Thanks again and talk to you soon!

Reviewed on 3/12/2017 Siobhan E

In a dream world, AJ and Jennie would be my personal photographers for all life events no matter how small. I found these two gems when google image searching my venue. I immediately loved their work, specifically the lighting in the photos. I really wanted to avoid bright... Read More cheesy wedding pictures. I wanted something different and modern. I reached out to a few companies just for good measure and I thought the pricing Traverse the Tides offered was very reasonable. Whenever I would reach out to AJ with a neurotic question he politely answered immediately. Which let me tell you, when your working full time, in grad school and planning a wedding - its fills your heart and eases the anxiety. My husband and I met AJ and Jennie for the first time for our engagement photos, which were intimidating at first but they were so amazing and friendly- really confirmed our decision to go with them. They were also so calm and accommodating on the big day which was so helpful/necessary. AJ had me fill out a questionnaire prior to the big day so they were organized and prepared. Our wedding reception was a crazy party (understatement) and AJ and Jennie captured it ALL! From the beautiful pictures at the church to the dramatic dance moves and everything in between - our pictures were THE BEST!!! They also compiled a BEAUTIFUL leather bound book that we will cherish forever. I highly recommend them to everyone and anyone and hope to work with them again !!!

2017-03-12T16:50:41 Response from the vendor

Sioban & Joe- you guys are amazing! We will always remember how much of a blast it was capturing photos of you amazing day (along with your engagement session)! We really appreciate all the kind words!!!

Reviewed on 2/11/2017 Meg W

Thank you for our AMAZING engagement and wedding pictures!! They really are so beautiful and even better then we could have imagined. You guys truly captured our day the way we wanted and we are so excited to have these pictures to look back on. Our family and friends are blown... Read More away by the pictures, too. In addition to the great pictures, you two were so wonderful to work with and helped make our day so enjoyable. I don't know what we would have done without the hand warmers!

2017-02-11T12:08:09 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Meg & Chris! You guys were so great to work with and we are thrilled that you guys love your photos! Haha- we knew the hand warmers would go over well. :)

Reviewed on 1/02/2017 Meghan P

Wow, just wow. My husband and I are SO THANKFUL we found AJ! We knew we liked him from the moment we met him. He and his wife Jenny shot our engagement photos and our wedding and made us feel like complete models. They were so easy to shoot with and made us feel very comfortable... Read More in front of the camera-something we were a bit shy about. When we received our engagement pictures we were totally blown away. I've never felt so beautiful in my entire life, plus he perfectly captured the essence of my husband and I. As far as shooting the wedding, it was the HOTTEST day of the year, and AJ was more than willing to run all over our venue to capture the most perfect pictures. My brother-in-law has severe special needs and can be tough to photograph, but AJ managed to get some wonderful shots with him, and gave us some very precious family photos. We shot at several locations and AJ was great at shooting both posed shots as well as candid shots (which were our favorites). I cannot recommend him enough. Shooting with him and his wife was a complete dream and I would do it all again if I could! WE LOVE YOU AJ!!

2017-01-02T22:06:52 Response from the vendor

Meg & Tom- thank you guys so much for the amazing review! You were both a dream to work with and we are so happy with the photos that we made together!

Reviewed on 12/21/2016 Andrew S

Simply put, AJ was phenomenal. As a photographer, he approaches the wedding with a signature narrative style. All of his photos appear candid and unforced. He did an amazing job working with lighting, composition and setting-in particularly with our portraits. He has a great... Read More eye, and I would say his approach is progressive and contemporary. In terms of deliverables, he goes above and beyond. Our package included 3 hours of his time, along with a full online gallery containing every single photo with post-production work at low, medium, high and original resolutions. Every photo is downloadable and the gallery link can be easily shared with anyone you wish to do so with. The post-production on the photos are spectacular, and he doesn't leave a single photo untouched with enhancements. Within 3 weeks of our wedding, we received the entire online gallery, and were blown away with how quick he completed the post-production work. Granted, we had a very intimate ceremony and assumedly didn't have as many photos taken as a typically larger event. But nevertheless, AJ was always prompt with his responses as we periodically checked in with him. He even released a few "teaser" images to us the first few days after the wedding. We thought that was a great touch. During the entire event, he was always in the right place at the right time, and we never once felt like he was in the way. In terms of who he is as a person, we felt as if we made a new friend. He arrived earlier and stayed later than our contract stated, just so he could capture moments outside of our agreed upon time frame. He likes to engage the couple and ask them to try different things when taking photos, and isn't afraid to try new things (so long as the couple is obliged to do so). There is a tangible warmness about him, and you can tell that his passion for photography goes beyond simply documenting an event. He really has a passion for documenting the love of two people and this couldn't have been made any more clear based on how he interacted with us on our wedding day. Bottom line, you will not be disappointed if you go with AJ. I would count anyone lucky to have him shoot their wedding.

2016-12-22T14:56:37 Response from the vendor

Andrew!! Thanks so much for your review! I think back often to your wedding and how much of a pleasure it was to work with you guys. I'm so proud of the photos we made that day and so honored to have been part of... Read Less Read More

AJ & Jennie

We are AJ & Jennie. Husband & wife, travel partners, best friends and lovers. Two halves to one crazy whole. We grew up within blocks of each other but didn’t meet until 10 years ago in a grocery store. Our journey into photography started after our own wedding while honeymooning in the oh-so romantic Hawaiian islands. Since then, we have had a passion for photography and documenting the best day of your life. We are obsessed with each other and get really excited when we meet other couples who are crazy in love just like us.