Windmill Island Gardens

Holland, MI

Weddings at Windmill Island Gardens

Have your wedding and reception at a historic site that offers a unique and beautiful setting that is specifically suited to celebrate your wedding day. The Island offers gorgeous gardens, a romantic gazebo and an elegant pavilion. Located in the lovely lakeshore town of Holland, Michigan.

Guest Capacity

Waterfront, Garden, Historic Venue, Park, Tented

Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

270 South River Avenue, Holland, MI

Dream wedding come true!

Reviewed on 9/28/2015 sarah l

Absolutely fabulous venue!! We did all of our pictures here and had ceremony and reception here, so convenient for us, bridal party, photographers and guests to have it all in one place. Absolutely beautiful grounds! Reception building is large and we loved having the doors open... Read More for an outdoor/tent feel. Staff is outstanding! They truly care about you and your day and help you stay organized and on schedule so that everything runs smoothly. I can't say enough good things about windmill island gardens! Thank you for making my day perfectly perfect!!

Wedding Ceremony and Reception

Reviewed on 8/18/2015

Windmill Island was a fabulous place for a wedding. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is helpful, timely, organized, and present, and as a bonus, we had a beautiful day. We got so many comments from guests that it was such a beautiful setting for a wedding.

Dream Wedding Day

Reviewed on 9/23/2015 Christian W

Windmill Island Gardens was the absolute dream location for our wedding! Our guests raved that this was the most beautiful wedding they had been to - all thanks to everything Windmill had to offer. We had both our ceremony & reception here (thankfully a 0% chance of rain!) The... Read More staff was very accommodating and attentive to detail/your needs. They are very knowledgeable having hosted many weddings there before, bringing your attention to things you may not have thought of. The main reason I chose this location was for the gorgeous permanent tent - you feel like you are in a fairytale once inside! We had 230 guests and plenty of room for a bar, welcome table, gift table, cake display, slideshow and 2 double-sided buffet lines. Also - your photographer will be in love with all of the shooting spots and options on the grounds - your pictures are guaranteed to be amazing. The only thing that could potentially bother someone is that Windmill is a tourist location - visitors were walking around while we were taking pictures and since our ceremony started at 5:30, tourists technically had until 6 to leave the Island - but, it did not bother us at all since you are so consumed with the wedding day & having googly eyes for your spouse. Bottom line is; if we had to do it all over, my husband and I would not change a thing :)

Incredible Venue and Value

Reviewed on 7/28/2015 Lauralee R

I could not be happier that I chose to have my wedding ceremony/reception at Windmill! The venue is absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful gardens and unique buildings. Not only was the venue amazing, but the value was impeccable. Our guests enjoyed the grounds, the carousel, and... Read More the scenery. In addition, the coordinators assisted me throughout the entire planning process, and I was amazed at how organized and helpful they were. Another great bonus was that there was a Day Of Coordinator to help with the logistics of the rehearsal and wedding. My stress level was greatly reduced thanks to the staff at Windmill. I would highly recommend this gorgeous venue to anyone looking to have an outside wedding!

Tailored Venue

Reviewed on 10/31/2014 Andrea

Windmill Island is a gorgeous venue that compliments many themes, from rustic with a wood fence and horses, or unique escapes with the mini dutch village, or outdoor with the beautiful flowers and landscape, all without the worry of determining a rain plan as the permanent... Read More pavilion can keep guests out of inclement weather. Not only does this venue flex to fit multiple styles, but the staff is incredible flexible and interested in helping you making your ideas happen and your day to be one for the books!

September Wedding.

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Nicole P

I recently had my wedding reception at Windmill Island and was so grateful to have worked with Alisa and her team. Because I live on the East Coast, I had limited time to meet while in town, but they always made it work and were extremely accommodating in letting my mom and the... Read More creative team helping with the wedding visit WI multiple times to scope out the area, take measurements, etc. We had quite a bit of setup, with two lounge areas, a fire pit area, a lemonade + water bar, lots of decor, etc., and Alisa was SO helpful in working on the layout with us. She's incredibly calm and thorough, which was very helpful in meetings that included other vendors. The wedding was in late September, and we actually had perfect weather, so don't be afraid of a fall MI wedding. If the weather had not been cooperative, there are rental places that offer heaters that would heat the pavillion (we had this on hold until the week of). I would highly recommend Windmill Island. You can see our day here:

Great Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Katrice G

Windmill Island is a beautiful venue! We had our wedding in the end of August and could not be happier with our venue choice. The gardens were amazing, the reception tent was spacious, and the staff went above and beyond expectation. This venue was a little more expensive than... Read More what we had initially wanted to pay but after looking at multiple other venues, we decided that it was well worth the money. I really can't say enough about this place! We had a great wedding there and owe much of that to the professional staff at Windmill Island. Would highly recommend this venue!

My Daughters Vision

Reviewed on 10/25/2014

My daughter had a vision and the Windmill Island venue and staff made it all possible. They were accommodating and very helpful. It was a beautiful day but even if the weather had not cooperated, I felt very comfortable with their backup plans for an indoor ceremony. Our... Read More guests loved the gardens and the "tent" was beautiful. True professionals with a romantic side. :)

The venue is perfect

Reviewed on 9/14/2014 Brenda H

Having our wedding ceremony and reception in Windmill Island was one of the best decision we had for our wedding. The grounds and pavilion looked fantastic. Having both our families flying from outside of Holland and outside of US, this venue was perfect. The guests loved the... Read More place. Alisa and her staff were fantastic. Alisa helped us from the very beginning and gave us tips and reminders before the wedding. I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding.

Gorgeous Venue

Reviewed on 9/12/2014 louisa s

My husband and I chose to have our wedding reception at Windmill Island this past August. We could not have been more pleased with how it turned out! The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, filled with flowers and greenery. Our guests could not stop raving about how classy and... Read More beautiful it was. I was looking for a venue that was unique and different than a normal "country club" reception, yet still providing space for a dance floor, dj, and 200+ guests. It was a perfect balance and all of my guests were so pleased with the venue as well. Alisa was very easy and organized to work with!! The colourful tent lighting during the dancing was also a fun addition. Being able to have an outdoor reception (smoke cigars outside the tent, have guests explore the grounds, take pictures near the gorgeous landscaping) and yet be covered by a permanent tent in case of poor weather was such a bonus. Another positive is the venue is close to dt holland providing your guests an option of bars or hotels following your wedding. One small warning, you are in charge of choosing your vendors and coordinating them with Windmill Island. Although, Alisa is very helpful, providing you with a list of recommended vendors and helping with day of coordination. I also liked the idea of choosing my own vendors as it allows you to make your wedding unique and personal! I would recommend this venue to anyone in a heartbeat!

Reviewed on 7/16/2014 Lindsay H

I recently was lucky enough to get married at Windmill Island in May 2014 and I could not have asked for a better place! We knew when we began searching for venues we wanted something outdoors (risky, I know, but-bonus-Windmill Island has a great plan B if the weather doesn't... Read More cooperate). We found Windmill Island by searching online and as soon as we visited and met with Alisa we knew we had found the place. Alisa and the obvious beauty of the grounds were what sold us. Alisa is going to be your favorite person if you book here - she keeps you on track and organized (even sending a reminder 'to do' list a few months before the wedding which I really appreciated)! On the day of the wedding (and even still after) our guests could not stop talking about how beautiful the tulips were and loved being able to walk around and take pictures. The pavilion was perfect and gave that perfect outdoor, garden party feel we were going for. HIGHLY recommend this venue for both wedding ceremony and reception-it will be no stress for you (Alisa will be sure of that) and your guests will rave about it!!!

Windmill Island Holland, Michigan

Reviewed on 6/27/2014 michelle f

Windmill Island is amazing venue if you want something a little different. Our guest loved that they could walk around the grounds. Its was not like your typical wedding. The staff was great! Every part of my day was so great! I would highly recommend Windmill Island to anyone... Read More getting married. Windmill Island will hold a special place in our hearts forever. We plan on visiting often

Wonderful Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 6/20/2014 Mel C

Windmill Island is a great place to get married. They take care of the chairs and tables, and you already have the gazebo and the pavilion there which is all beautiful. Alisa is wonderful to work with; she works with you to understand what you want and help you achieve it. As... Read More an out of town bride, finding Windmill Island and Alisa were key to my low-wedding stress. The only reason I gave 4 stars for service was because the day-of coordinator called me a different name during the entire rehearsal, was fairly bossy even though the minister had the rehearsal under control....the big thing though was on my wedding day a tourist on the island decided to photograph my entire wedding, and she didn't say anything to him and his wife until the entire ceremony was done and then acted like I should thank her...fairly annoying. Now its a funny story about how I had a second photographer, who was a little old man and his wife. I would still highly recommend as I said above...just something to keep in mind.

Windmill Island Holland MI

Reviewed on 10/08/2013

Windmill Island surpassed all of our expectations. The grounds were beautiful. The pavilion was perfect. The staff was extremely helpful throughout the entire process. Our guests were able to walk around the island and enjoy the lovely gardens and windmill at their leisure.... Read More The setting sun behind the windmill made for fabulous pictures. It was perfect.

Windmill Island Wedding - Perfect!

Reviewed on 9/29/2013 Anna N

Windmill Island Gardens was the perfect place to have our Labor Day weekend wedding! We had both our ceremony and reception there, which was so nice and easy for us and our guests. The staff are very experienced, knowledgeable, and great to work with. They helped us with the... Read More planning and execution. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, we could not have asked for a better setting. I would highly recommend this venue as a place to celebrate your wedding day! Many thanks to them for such an amazing day/night!

Reviewed on 9/20/2013 Samantha S

We had our ceremony and reception here. Everything was beautiful! We worked with Alisa leading up to the wedding. She was professional, patient, and kind. We really enjoyed working with her. All of our guests raved about how beautiful the gardens were. Highly recommend.

Windmill Island Gardens Was PERFECT!

Reviewed on 9/19/2013 Sarah V

I had my wedding here on August 10, 2013. Alisa, the wedding coordinator, was perfect to work with. She answered all 1,000 questions I had. They made my dream become a reality!

Beautiful Wedding Location!

Reviewed on 8/26/2013 Caryn S

When I visited Windmill Island for when searching for wedding venues I knew right away that this was the place. The staff was so incredibly knowledgeable and helpful from the very beginning of the planning process. We got married on May 18th and the Tulips were in full... Read More bloom! Couldn't have asked for a better day. Our guest still keep commenting on how beautiful the grounds were.

Thank you for an amazing reception!

Reviewed on 8/15/2013 Kersten B

We had our reception at Windmill Island on August 3rd and it was perfect! Such a great outdoor venue! Alisa did a fabulous job of helping us prepare. She thought of things we had totally over looked! The price was amazing! We couldn't have found a better place for a more... Read More reasonable price. The photographer had so many great backgrounds to work with and sunset was in perfect view. There was enough space for yard games for the cocktail hour and reception. The vendors they partner with are fabulous. We worked with Hope College's Creative Dinning for food and D. Schuler's for drinks. We received compliments all night about how beautiful the reception was and are still receiving compliments. Thank you to the staff at Windmill Island! You made a our big day perfect!

Perfect outdoor wedding!

Reviewed on 8/05/2013 Debbi T

Windmill Island was EXACTLY what we were looking for when planning our wedding and the day went off without a hitch! Everything was set up and ready for our ceremony and went according to our plan, after an easy rehearsal the night before. 2 weeks prior to our wedding, we sat... Read More down with our coordinator from Windmill Island to map and plan out the event. The meeting was VERY thorough and made both myself and my parents feel at ease and very pleased with our decision to have the wedding at Windmill Island. The layout of Windmill Island was such a treat to our guests, as they played games on the lawn during cocktail hour, walked around the grounds and over to the Windmill and overall just enjoyed the beauty of the place. I would HIGHLY recommend Windmill Island to anyone who is looking for a summer Michigan outdoor wedding.

Couldn't have been better!!

Reviewed on 8/03/2013 Samantha H

Mother of Bride

Reviewed on 8/01/2013

Where do I begin, everything was perfect. This event was the highlight of our life. We really did not have to worry about anything. The gardens and windmill were a perfect background for pictures. The gazebo ideal for the wedding ceremony. Alisa, the wedding coordinator,... Read More was very helpful giving us many suggestions to make the wedding run smoothly. She gave us tips on what would make our guests comfortable. Sheryl the wedding supervisor was amazing also, very calm and helpful. The tent looked wonderful, Hope College catering had everything set up and decorated just as we had hoped for. At the end of the evening everyone had smiles on their faces. We never had to worry about set up or clean up. We could not have picked a better venue. The brides room was very nice, it was great to have a spot to hang out. My only complaint would be a hook to hang the wedding dress with a long train. The grooms room was not air conditioned, it was cool the day of the wedding and it was still stuffy in the grooms room. The venue was perfect for bride and dad to arrive in a horse and carriage for the dramatic entrance. The bride and groom jumped in the carriage after the wedding ceremony and had a private ride around the windmill, also another great photo moment. The outdoor wedding was beautiful with the windmill in the background. Plenty of parking. Our guests loved the idea of having everything in one spot and not having to travel or wait between wedding and reception. I am so pleased we decided to have our daughters wedding at Windmill Island.

Best Day Ever!

Reviewed on 7/31/2013 Anne F

Having my wedding at Windmill was so amazing. It was amazing because of the actual wedding day - everything was beautiful and ran smoothly. It was also amazing and fun to work with the wedding coordinator, Aleesa. She was very pleasant to work with and made our wedding day the... Read More best day ever!!!

Amazing place for reasonable price

Reviewed on 6/25/2013 Michelle H

This location was great to capture both ceremony and reception. There are bride and groom rooms so that you have plenty of space to prepare the day of. The grounds are maintained very well and there are so many places for photo opportunities. There were a few restrictions by... Read More the city of holland for having approved caterers and beverage providers but they only allow the best. They are more than willing to help out in any way they can. The staff at the island was very in-tune with advising what kinds of things worked well, what didn't work, etc. The tent on the grounds is very large and allows a ton of space. The sides are able to come up or drop down for inclement weather, while still maintaing the beauty of it all. I would strongly recommend this location to any bride looking for just teh right place.

Reviewed on 10/29/2012 Kristine M

Everyone gave us so many compliments about this venue. It was the perfect fit for us. It did end up raining about 5 mins before the ceremony started but everything quickly got moved inside (sadly my guests had to help with this) and the event went on wonderfully. We did the... Read More pictures before the ceremony, which I am very happy with now. I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone and everyone; it is beautiful!!

TO Windmill Island Gardens