Windmill Island Gardens

Holland, MI

Weddings at Windmill Island Gardens

Have your wedding and reception at a historic site that offers a unique and beautiful setting that is specifically suited to celebrate your wedding day. The Island offers gorgeous gardens, a romantic gazebo and an elegant pavilion. Located in the lovely lakeshore town of Holland, Michigan.

Guest Capacity

Waterfront, Garden, Historic Venue, Park, Tented

Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

270 South River Avenue, Holland, MI

Reviewed on 6/03/2016 Elizabeth

Wish I could add more than five stars!! I'm not from Holland or Michigan. I live in New York and planned a wedding at Windmill Island for reasons I will not explain here. I worked with Margaret, and all I can say is that I'm speechless. Our wedding was on 5/28/16 and it was... Read More more beautiful and more amazing than I could have imagined it. The venue is not only beautiful during the day, but it becomes heavenly when the sun begins to set. If you are looking for an outdoor, casual, fun, playful setting than this is it! It's sweet and colorful....I could keep going. I love this place! Every guest I had was raving about how lovely the venue was. They all kept asking me "How did you find this place!?". The town of Holland itself is so charming and quaint, but this venue is incredible. I have zero regrets having our wedding here. And to top off how amazing the venue is, the staff is also incredible. They provide everything in a set price -- talk about convenient (tables, chairs, wedding attendants, rehearsal, etc). Margaret will work with you throughout your planning on scheduling and logistics, but you will also have a day of attendant who will help with the rehearsal, as well as be there for anything you need on the day of. The entire day was seamless! Not to mention we had a perfect day for weather. I'm still dreaming of our wedding day. I cannot recommend this venue and staff more!

Reviewed on 6/13/2016 Rebecca H

We were truly blessed to have our wedding at Windmill Island Gardens. The venue is stunning, it requires little decor because the natural beauty dresses itself. You cannot beat the flowers, windmill, river, gorgeous white pavilion with white streaming fabric, etc. The... Read More Bride/Groom room is wonderful, with air conditioning and bathrooms. We worked with Margaret as our wedding coordinator, and she was amazing. She replied to my emails within 24 hours, and if she didn't know the answer to my email she would write me back anyway to let me know that we was working on the problem. Then I would get a second quick response with the answer. I truly appreciated the time that Margaret took to write me back, even if she didn't have an answer. Often as a Bride you are emailing so many people and stressing out... Margaret made sure that I knew what was going on at all times. She worked very hard to take the stress off my shoulders, and she did. My husband and I are very thankful for Margaret, her hard work and loving personality. Between Margaret, the venue, and the beautiful nature that surrounds it, we are incredibly happy with Windmill Island Gardens. We would absolutely change nothing about our big day!

Reviewed on 8/06/2016 Heather B

Windmill Island was absolutely gorgeous on my wedding day. It was so nice to be able to have a picture perfect ceremony and reception all at the same location. We did not have rain on our wedding day, but if it had rained we could have had the reception in the pavilion where the... Read More reception was. It was nice to have that as a back-up option. We worked with Margaret from Windmill Island, who did an amazing job at helping us make sure we had all the details pinned down perfectly. She was there on the day of the wedding too, as well as Cheryl - another event coordinator at Windmill Island. They made sure everything went smoothly during the rehearsal the night before as well as throughout the whole wedding day. Before and after the ceremony, our guests loved being able to walk around the Island to see the Windmill, flowers, and even horses. It was a HOT day, but once we were in the pavilion for the reception, the ceiling fans along with the breeze helped everyone cool off after the hot ceremony. It was an all around beautiful day and I would absolutely recommend Windmill Island to anyone!

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Claire S

Windmill Island is an amazing venue. They were great to work with and all of my guests said it was the most fun they've had at a wedding. Wedding planning truly was a breeze when the ceremony and reception are all in the same location. We didn't have to go anywhere to take... Read More pictures either because there are so many good photo ops in the gardens. I loved the simplicity of having everything in one location - we even got ready in the bride and groom's rooms! The gardens are also convenient because they are so close to downtown that it was easy for all of our out of town guests to find accommodations nearby (even within walking distance!). Working with Margaret was great, she truly cares that your day is special. I can't say I was thrilled to have a new person be the on site coordinator for the day-of but Sage was truly wonderful as well. I recommend Windmill Island to anyone dreaming of a beautiful outdoor wedding that is easy to plan :-)

Reviewed on 11/14/2015 Lauren D

Not being from Holland originally, the first time I visited the Island with my husband (then-fiance) on my birthday in 2014, I fell in love with it. My husband has a strong Dutch heritage so he loved the location. Every step of the way, Alisa and Margaret were wonderful to work... Read More with. They helped keep us on track with reminder emails and quick responses to even the most ridiculous questions. They were thorough and organized throughout the entire 14 months that we planned our wedding (Sept. 19, 2015). At our final meeting, we put together a down-to-the-minute general outline of the ceremony and reception. Our master and mistress of ceremonies used it to help keep us on track day-of and we were told later that it was the smoothest-flowing reception people had been to. Our wedding day was a dream come true. The staff day-of were very kind and helpful, retrieving the wedding party and myself when it was time and guiding us through the ceremony. The reception pavilion was a dream. Our wedding colors were sangria and ivory so our reception had a beautiful magenta/purple hue in the draped white ceiling. There was so much room for dancing and a lot of fun. It has decidedly become the "best wedding" on my husband's side of the family, according to several members of my new family. The day was absolutely perfect and more than we ever could have asked for. Thank you, Windmill Island and your amazing staff, for helping make our dreams a reality! - Lauren & Chip Hallacy

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Becca G

We had our wedding on a Friday evening. Because of this, the cost was less although still somewhat expensive. Overall worth it though. The park closed around 6PM and was ours alone for the ceremony and reception. In case of rain, the ceremony could be held inside the pavilion, a... Read More semi-permanent tent, but we chose to have it outside near the gazebo. Staff were quick to grab umbrellas when it started raining during the ceremony. Lots of bathrooms for guests, well-lit at night, with plenty of space for outdoor games in fair weather. Overall a great and memorable day!

Dream wedding come true!

Reviewed on 9/28/2015 sarah l

Absolutely fabulous venue!! We did all of our pictures here and had ceremony and reception here, so convenient for us, bridal party, photographers and guests to have it all in one place. Absolutely beautiful grounds! Reception building is large and we loved having the doors open... Read More for an outdoor/tent feel. Staff is outstanding! They truly care about you and your day and help you stay organized and on schedule so that everything runs smoothly. I can't say enough good things about windmill island gardens! Thank you for making my day perfectly perfect!!

Dream Wedding Day

Reviewed on 9/23/2015 Christian W

Windmill Island Gardens was the absolute dream location for our wedding! Our guests raved that this was the most beautiful wedding they had been to - all thanks to everything Windmill had to offer. We had both our ceremony & reception here (thankfully a 0% chance of rain!) The... Read More staff was very accommodating and attentive to detail/your needs. They are very knowledgeable having hosted many weddings there before, bringing your attention to things you may not have thought of. The main reason I chose this location was for the gorgeous permanent tent - you feel like you are in a fairytale once inside! We had 230 guests and plenty of room for a bar, welcome table, gift table, cake display, slideshow and 2 double-sided buffet lines. Also - your photographer will be in love with all of the shooting spots and options on the grounds - your pictures are guaranteed to be amazing. The only thing that could potentially bother someone is that Windmill is a tourist location - visitors were walking around while we were taking pictures and since our ceremony started at 5:30, tourists technically had until 6 to leave the Island - but, it did not bother us at all since you are so consumed with the wedding day & having googly eyes for your spouse. Bottom line is; if we had to do it all over, my husband and I would not change a thing :)

Wedding Ceremony and Reception

Reviewed on 8/18/2015

Windmill Island was a fabulous place for a wedding. The grounds are beautiful, the staff is helpful, timely, organized, and present, and as a bonus, we had a beautiful day. We got so many comments from guests that it was such a beautiful setting for a wedding.

Incredible Venue and Value

Reviewed on 7/28/2015 Lauralee R

I could not be happier that I chose to have my wedding ceremony/reception at Windmill! The venue is absolutely gorgeous, with beautiful gardens and unique buildings. Not only was the venue amazing, but the value was impeccable. Our guests enjoyed the grounds, the carousel, and... Read More the scenery. In addition, the coordinators assisted me throughout the entire planning process, and I was amazed at how organized and helpful they were. Another great bonus was that there was a Day Of Coordinator to help with the logistics of the rehearsal and wedding. My stress level was greatly reduced thanks to the staff at Windmill. I would highly recommend this gorgeous venue to anyone looking to have an outside wedding!

Tailored Venue

Reviewed on 10/31/2014 Andrea

Windmill Island is a gorgeous venue that compliments many themes, from rustic with a wood fence and horses, or unique escapes with the mini dutch village, or outdoor with the beautiful flowers and landscape, all without the worry of determining a rain plan as the permanent... Read More pavilion can keep guests out of inclement weather. Not only does this venue flex to fit multiple styles, but the staff is incredible flexible and interested in helping you making your ideas happen and your day to be one for the books!

September Wedding.

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Nicole P

I recently had my wedding reception at Windmill Island and was so grateful to have worked with Alisa and her team. Because I live on the East Coast, I had limited time to meet while in town, but they always made it work and were extremely accommodating in letting my mom and the... Read More creative team helping with the wedding visit WI multiple times to scope out the area, take measurements, etc. We had quite a bit of setup, with two lounge areas, a fire pit area, a lemonade + water bar, lots of decor, etc., and Alisa was SO helpful in working on the layout with us. She's incredibly calm and thorough, which was very helpful in meetings that included other vendors. The wedding was in late September, and we actually had perfect weather, so don't be afraid of a fall MI wedding. If the weather had not been cooperative, there are rental places that offer heaters that would heat the pavillion (we had this on hold until the week of). I would highly recommend Windmill Island. You can see our day here: http://www.davinlindwall.com/blog/tim-nicole-wedding-video

Great Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 10/29/2014 Katrice G

Windmill Island is a beautiful venue! We had our wedding in the end of August and could not be happier with our venue choice. The gardens were amazing, the reception tent was spacious, and the staff went above and beyond expectation. This venue was a little more expensive than... Read More what we had initially wanted to pay but after looking at multiple other venues, we decided that it was well worth the money. I really can't say enough about this place! We had a great wedding there and owe much of that to the professional staff at Windmill Island. Would highly recommend this venue!

My Daughters Vision

Reviewed on 10/25/2014

My daughter had a vision and the Windmill Island venue and staff made it all possible. They were accommodating and very helpful. It was a beautiful day but even if the weather had not cooperated, I felt very comfortable with their backup plans for an indoor ceremony. Our... Read More guests loved the gardens and the "tent" was beautiful. True professionals with a romantic side. :)

The venue is perfect

Reviewed on 9/14/2014 Brenda H

Having our wedding ceremony and reception in Windmill Island was one of the best decision we had for our wedding. The grounds and pavilion looked fantastic. Having both our families flying from outside of Holland and outside of US, this venue was perfect. The guests loved the... Read More place. Alisa and her staff were fantastic. Alisa helped us from the very beginning and gave us tips and reminders before the wedding. I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding.

Gorgeous Venue

Reviewed on 9/12/2014 louisa s

My husband and I chose to have our wedding reception at Windmill Island this past August. We could not have been more pleased with how it turned out! The grounds are absolutely gorgeous, filled with flowers and greenery. Our guests could not stop raving about how classy and... Read More beautiful it was. I was looking for a venue that was unique and different than a normal "country club" reception, yet still providing space for a dance floor, dj, and 200+ guests. It was a perfect balance and all of my guests were so pleased with the venue as well. Alisa was very easy and organized to work with!! The colourful tent lighting during the dancing was also a fun addition. Being able to have an outdoor reception (smoke cigars outside the tent, have guests explore the grounds, take pictures near the gorgeous landscaping) and yet be covered by a permanent tent in case of poor weather was such a bonus. Another positive is the venue is close to dt holland providing your guests an option of bars or hotels following your wedding. One small warning, you are in charge of choosing your vendors and coordinating them with Windmill Island. Although, Alisa is very helpful, providing you with a list of recommended vendors and helping with day of coordination. I also liked the idea of choosing my own vendors as it allows you to make your wedding unique and personal! I would recommend this venue to anyone in a heartbeat!

BEST, MOST UNIQUE VENUE!

Reviewed on 7/16/2014 Lindsay H

I recently was lucky enough to get married at Windmill Island in May 2014 and I could not have asked for a better place! We knew when we began searching for venues we wanted something outdoors (risky, I know, but-bonus-Windmill Island has a great plan B if the weather doesn't... Read More cooperate). We found Windmill Island by searching online and as soon as we visited and met with Alisa we knew we had found the place. Alisa and the obvious beauty of the grounds were what sold us. Alisa is going to be your favorite person if you book here - she keeps you on track and organized (even sending a reminder 'to do' list a few months before the wedding which I really appreciated)! On the day of the wedding (and even still after) our guests could not stop talking about how beautiful the tulips were and loved being able to walk around and take pictures. The pavilion was perfect and gave that perfect outdoor, garden party feel we were going for. HIGHLY recommend this venue for both wedding ceremony and reception-it will be no stress for you (Alisa will be sure of that) and your guests will rave about it!!!

Windmill Island Holland, Michigan

Reviewed on 6/27/2014 michelle f

Windmill Island is amazing venue if you want something a little different. Our guest loved that they could walk around the grounds. Its was not like your typical wedding. The staff was great! Every part of my day was so great! I would highly recommend Windmill Island to anyone... Read More getting married. Windmill Island will hold a special place in our hearts forever. We plan on visiting often

Wonderful Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 6/20/2014 Mel C

Windmill Island is a great place to get married. They take care of the chairs and tables, and you already have the gazebo and the pavilion there which is all beautiful. Alisa is wonderful to work with; she works with you to understand what you want and help you achieve it. As... Read More an out of town bride, finding Windmill Island and Alisa were key to my low-wedding stress. The only reason I gave 4 stars for service was because the day-of coordinator called me a different name during the entire rehearsal, was fairly bossy even though the minister had the rehearsal under control....the big thing though was on my wedding day a tourist on the island decided to photograph my entire wedding, and she didn't say anything to him and his wife until the entire ceremony was done and then acted like I should thank her...fairly annoying. Now its a funny story about how I had a second photographer, who was a little old man and his wife. I would still highly recommend as I said above...just something to keep in mind.

Windmill Island Holland MI

Reviewed on 10/08/2013

Windmill Island surpassed all of our expectations. The grounds were beautiful. The pavilion was perfect. The staff was extremely helpful throughout the entire process. Our guests were able to walk around the island and enjoy the lovely gardens and windmill at their leisure.... Read More The setting sun behind the windmill made for fabulous pictures. It was perfect.

Windmill Island Wedding - Perfect!

Reviewed on 9/29/2013 Anna N

Windmill Island Gardens was the perfect place to have our Labor Day weekend wedding! We had both our ceremony and reception there, which was so nice and easy for us and our guests. The staff are very experienced, knowledgeable, and great to work with. They helped us with the... Read More planning and execution. The grounds are beautiful and well kept, we could not have asked for a better setting. I would highly recommend this venue as a place to celebrate your wedding day! Many thanks to them for such an amazing day/night!

Beautiful

Reviewed on 9/20/2013 Samantha S

We had our ceremony and reception here. Everything was beautiful! We worked with Alisa leading up to the wedding. She was professional, patient, and kind. We really enjoyed working with her. All of our guests raved about how beautiful the gardens were. Highly recommend.

Windmill Island Gardens Was PERFECT!

Reviewed on 9/19/2013 Sarah V

I had my wedding here on August 10, 2013. Alisa, the wedding coordinator, was perfect to work with. She answered all 1,000 questions I had. They made my dream become a reality!

Beautiful Wedding Location!

Reviewed on 8/26/2013 Caryn S

When I visited Windmill Island for when searching for wedding venues I knew right away that this was the place. The staff was so incredibly knowledgeable and helpful from the very beginning of the planning process. We got married on May 18th and the Tulips were in full... Read More bloom! Couldn't have asked for a better day. Our guest still keep commenting on how beautiful the grounds were.

Thank you for an amazing reception!

Reviewed on 8/15/2013 Kersten B

We had our reception at Windmill Island on August 3rd and it was perfect! Such a great outdoor venue! Alisa did a fabulous job of helping us prepare. She thought of things we had totally over looked! The price was amazing! We couldn't have found a better place for a more... Read More reasonable price. The photographer had so many great backgrounds to work with and sunset was in perfect view. There was enough space for yard games for the cocktail hour and reception. The vendors they partner with are fabulous. We worked with Hope College's Creative Dinning for food and D. Schuler's for drinks. We received compliments all night about how beautiful the reception was and are still receiving compliments. Thank you to the staff at Windmill Island! You made a our big day perfect!