Book Your Wedding with Windmill Island Gardens

A GARDEN IN HOLLAND, MI

Windmill Island Gardens is a picturesque 30-acre park owned by the City of Holland, Michigan and serves the Greater Grand Rapids-Northern Michigan region. This historic venue is often a destination site for couples looking for a colorful, quaint backdrop where they can host an outdoor wedding in a beautiful, relaxed environment. Windmill Island Gardens can host wedding celebrations of up to 300 people on its neatly manicured grounds that sit near the shores of the Macatawa River.

The City of Holland, home to Windmill Island Gardens is known for its Dutch heritage and rich history. Couples who enjoy historical sites, regardless of their culture, will find the town to be friendly and welcoming towards out-of-town guests. Windmill Island Gardens offers two locations for ceremonies and receptions.

Wedding Gazebo. Colorful flowers and a lush, green lawn surround a vintage-inspired gazebo that makes an ideal place to exchange vows. This site also makes an excellent staging area for DJ’s or other entertainment for couples who choose to keep their entire event outside. The nearby bridge over the water looks as if it came right from the pages of a storybook and is a stunning area for photos.

Celebration Pavilion. This semi-permanent tent-style structure with its lovely draping on the interior can be turned into just about any venue that couples want. This space can go from a simple daytime country wedding to an elegant, chic nighttime setting, depending on your chosen decor and lighting. The Celebration Pavilion comes complete with ceiling fans for the added comfort of guests and the sides can be opened to allow for an event to spill out onto the grounds.

One of the big draws of Windmill Island Gardens is its curb appeal. Anywhere you go on the property; there are abundant photo opportunities. The Dutch heritage of the surrounding community of Holland is apparent at Windmill Island Gardens, especially with its authentic working Dutch windmill at the heart of the Island. The Windmill is particularly beautiful at sunset as a backdrop for romantic photos.

Of course, Windmill Island Gardens is known for having fields of cheerful tulips in spring. Many couples plan this venue as their destination spot to take advantage of the colorful background they provide. Be aware that many tourists will also be on the Island, especially during the Tulip Time Festival in May.

The rental fee at Windmill Island Gardens includes complementary entrance to Windmill Island so guests can enjoy walking the grounds while the bridal party is busy taking pictures. Also included are tables, chairs, setup and take down and a one-hour rehearsal for those holding a ceremony on-site. Couples paying with cash or check will receive a small discount on their rental.

Windmill Island Gardens has a staff dedicated to providing excellent customer service to each couple who chooses their beautiful venue to host a wedding celebration. Their attention to detail makes for a stress-free wedding planning experience—even if planning long distance. Other perks at this location include:

• Within walking distance to accommodations, restaurants and shops of the quaint city of Holland
  • Beautiful on-site dressing rooms for bride and groom
  • On-site attendant for rehearsal, ceremony and reception
  • Family-friendly: lots of room for games on the lawn while adults enjoy cocktails

Weddings at Windmill Island Gardens

Have your wedding and reception at a historic site that offers a unique and beautiful setting that is specifically suited to celebrate your wedding day. The Island offers gorgeous gardens, a romantic gazebo and an elegant pavilion. Located in the lovely lakeshore town of Holland, Michigan. Our wedding season begins mid-May and runs through September.

Garden, Historic Venue, Park, Tented

Food + Catering, Planning, Service Staff

Bow2018

1 Lincoln Avenue, Holland, MI (616) 355-1036

Reviewed on 10/28/2017 Stefanie C

Windmill Island was the most amazing venue for my wedding. We toured once and I instantly knew it was the place. The gardens are stunning and the windmill adds such charm. We heard from a lot of our guests how it was such a beautiful venue. Margaret was seriously the most... Read More helpful person ever. She answered every question I had in full detail and even thought of the things I never would have. Day of, she and her team were behind the scenes filling in all the details so I didn't have to worry. I could not have asked for a more wonderful place to have my wedding!

Reviewed on 12/09/2017 Heidi C

My wedding at Windmill Island was amazing. It was everything I hooped it would be. Margaret was wonderful to work with. She will make you feel like your the only bride she is working with because she is so good at what she does and cares so much to make your day perfect. I... Read More highly recommend Windmill Island the tent was beautiful and our wedding pictures turned out amazing. There are so many places to take pictures. Thank you Windmill Island!

Reviewed on 10/17/2017 Brinslea K

Windmill Island was amazing! We couldn't be more happy with the way our wedding day went! We loved having both wedding a ceremony at the same spot, it so nice for the guests and us so no one had to travel in between. Margaret Tamminga, one of the facility attendants on the... Read More grounds was the best to work wit to make sure our day was exactly what we wanted it to be! Our guests even loved the island! They said it was one of of the most beautiful venues they have been to. Since the grounds are so big they could utilize the whole grounds, walk around, go see the windmill hang out inside and outside the tent. Plenty of space and room for your guests to be comfortable! We are so so happy, thank you windmill island for making our day the best ever!

Reviewed on 10/16/2017 brittney t

Fantastic wedding venue! We got so many compliments on what a beautiful place it was and we had a great time :) Margaret was a wonderful person to help coordinate everything and I felt comfortable once I saw how detail oriented she was. She answered all of our questions fast... Read More even responding late at night. Everything went very smooth on the big day and I would definitely recommend this venue to anyone who asked!!

Reviewed on 10/08/2017 Kelly C

Windmill Island Gardens venue and staff were incredible! Margaret was on top of every detail to help guide us through the planning process as well as being there the day of to make sure everything was perfect! All of our guests complimented the beautiful accommodations. We... Read More could not have asked for a better place for our wedding!

Reviewed on 9/11/2017 Heidi D

We had a wedding ceremony and reception at Windmill Island Gardens on 09/03/17. After meeting with a few venues, we chose WIG primarily due to the professionalism of Margaret. We could tell from our first meeting that she managed everything in a timely and organized fashion.... Read More Our guests absolutely loved the venue and had nothing but compliments after their experience. We highly recommend this venue!

Reviewed on 9/01/2017 Elizabeth R

I could not have been happier with having both my wedding and reception at Windmill Island. It was honestly like a fairytale from a storybook- everything I could have dreamed of and more! So many people commented on how beautiful the venue and flowers were. It was the perfect... Read More outdoor venue, with the pavilion as backup incase it rained which put my mind at ease. I love that everything was in that one setting- we didn't have to go anywhere else for pictures or anything. I honestly felt like a princess. The staff there is so kind and helpful. It was very convenient to have the bride's and groom's rooms right there onsite to get ready in. My wedding day was everything I ever dreamed it would be, largely because it was at Windmill Island! I can't speak of it highly enough!

Reviewed on 8/02/2017 Madelyne A

We were lucky enough to get married during the Island's peak garden weak! Everyone thought our wedding receptions was one of the most beautiful ones they had ever attended! I loved that we could trust the staff to take care of the set up and take down for us and that we could... Read More get ready on site!

Reviewed on 7/21/2017 Carissa G

We absolutely loved having our reception at Windmill Islands. Margaret, their coordinator was great to work with and ensured that all of our vendors worked together, and that the night ran smoothly! The gardens are gorgeous and the space offers a venue where guests can roam,... Read More walk around, play games, or dance the night away. When it got to the day of the wedding we didn't have to worry about anything except for enjoying it all!

Reviewed on 7/15/2017 Taylar J

We had the perfect wedding at Windmill Island Gardens!! A huge thank you goes out to Margaret and Cheryl, as well as our caterers (Above and Beyond Catering) and DJ Greg Rios for helping everything run smoothly. The grounds are beautiful and it was the perfect location for an... Read More outdoor wedding!! All our family said we had the most beautiful, most fun wedding they had been to yet! I definitely recommend Windmill Island and their professional staff for your big day!

Reviewed on 7/05/2017 Jeremy O

We loved windmill island! Cheryl managed everything during our event and was just amazing. She was a calming influence and helped us pull everything together. Margaret was also great helping us plan everything remotely from London. The venue was so beautiful--really the perfect... Read More place to get married. I couldn't imagine getting married anywhere else.

Reviewed on 6/28/2017 Emily V

We have received so many compliments and our friends and family are still talking about how amazing our wedding was. Everyone loved being able to explore the gardens, see the windmill, and play lawn games. The tent looked so beautiful with all the decorations and people. I... Read More couldn't have imagined a better backdrop than watching the sun set over a historic windmill in a dreamy tent in the gardens. Margaret and the event staff were so easy to work with, and everything was coordinated very smoothly with the vendors and guests arrivals. Margaret and the staff were accommodating to our wishes and our vision for the big day. Margaret's attention to detail and helpful planning tips along the way were a huge factor in making our day perfect and took a lot of stress off my shoulders during the planning. She was prompt and thorough in our communications, which made planning from a long distance much, much easier. Overall, a huge part our why our day was so special was the location and the people who made it possible at Windmill Island.

Reviewed on 10/17/2016 Emily J

Windmill Island was the best possible place for our wedding. My husband and I wanted the outdoor/indoor feel all day long and that's exactly what we got. There are tons of amazing places to take pictures, and the venue size was perfect (180 guests). All of the vendors they... Read More recommended were great to work with, and the windmill island staff was always pleasant and helpful. Overall an amazing wedding day!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Amanda M

We got married at Windmill Island on the last weekend that they are open for the year and it was a great day! Margaret walked us through every detail of the planning starting with layout and she recommended great vendors as well. It poured rain when we entered and Margaret and... Read More our day of attendant were there with umbrellas so we could stay dry entering, the inside of the pavilion was perfectly dry. They made sure that our whole day went smoothly and it was awesome! We had 200+ guests seated comfortably with room for a large dance floor and bar/dj etc. We couldn't have asked for a better reception venue or team to help us plan and get through our big day!

Reviewed on 9/16/2016 Kendra H

I cannot be happier with how our wedding at Windmill Island Gardens turned out. It was absolutely perfect! Margaret was such a big help with the planning process. She would immediately respond to any questions that I sent over to her and was such a pleasure to work with. Our... Read More facility attendant, Cheryl, was also a big help. It was really nice having her there on the day of our wedding to make sure everything ran smoothly. We received so many compliments on how beautiful the venue was. It was really easy to decorate because everything is surrounded by flowers. Also, the pavilion has fabric draped from the ceiling and uplighting which made our reception absolutely gorgeous and also very unique. I would not change a thing about our wedding day at Windmill Island Gardens!

Reviewed on 9/07/2016 Erika G

I loved my wedding at Windmill Island Gardens. They were perfect and a pleasure to work with. Margaret was very helpful though the whole process. Our out of state guests could not say enough about how beautiful the Island was and what a terrific venue we had chosen. I’m... Read More really happy we did our wedding here.

Reviewed on 9/06/2016 Raiana V

We simply cannot say enough about how amazing Windmill Island Gardens and their staff were for our wedding! Throughout the whole process, Margaret was nothing but absolutely amazing. We were planning our wedding from Alaska, with a move 4 months before the wedding to Alabama... Read More and Margaret was able to completely overcome the distance and worked with us to make our wedding truly spectacular. The venue itself is gorgeous and creates such a beautiful backdrop, it is any photographers dream setting. We had an evening wedding and were able to take some fantastic sunset shots with the windmill and flowers in the background. The naturally occurring floral beauty of Windmill Island allowed us to also save some money on flower arrangements! Once you see the pictures of the venue you know you just can’t compete! So why try?! We decided to go with simple arrangements that just accented the already breathtaking flowers at the park. Being a public park we were skeptical of passersby’s and on lookers but in all honesty there were only a few couples with children that stopped to take a picture, and enjoy the ceremony. The grounds are huge and include walking trails, and on the day it didn’t bother us one bit to see people momentarily enjoying our ceremony with us. Super kid friendly! We had roughly 30 children at our wedding of varying ages, and decided to rent the Carousel. RENT THE CAROUSEL! It was great for the kids, and parents alike who often can’t find things to keep toddlers or younger kids entertained at a wedding. They all loved it! Windmill Island has a kid’s play area too, and open grass they can run and play on. Margaret and her assistant, Saige, treated us like family and helped in every way possible leading up to the big day, plus the big day itself! Saige coordinated the rehearsal the day prior and discussed and accommodated all our requests. Margaret was on point running the show behind the scenes, and literally thinks of everything! There was not a single question she didn’t have an answer to, or couldn’t find an answer for. Windmill Island was amazing! From the staff, to the location, to its natural beauty and well-kept grounds it was a dream come true. Margaret and Saige we could never thank you guys enough! -Thank you

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Patrick C

Great job. Great venue. Beautiful location. They went above and beyond!!

Reviewed on 8/06/2016 Heather B

Windmill Island was absolutely gorgeous on my wedding day. It was so nice to be able to have a picture perfect ceremony and reception all at the same location. We did not have rain on our wedding day, but if it had rained we could have had the reception in the pavilion where the... Read More reception was. It was nice to have that as a back-up option. We worked with Margaret from Windmill Island, who did an amazing job at helping us make sure we had all the details pinned down perfectly. She was there on the day of the wedding too, as well as Cheryl - another event coordinator at Windmill Island. They made sure everything went smoothly during the rehearsal the night before as well as throughout the whole wedding day. Before and after the ceremony, our guests loved being able to walk around the Island to see the Windmill, flowers, and even horses. It was a HOT day, but once we were in the pavilion for the reception, the ceiling fans along with the breeze helped everyone cool off after the hot ceremony. It was an all around beautiful day and I would absolutely recommend Windmill Island to anyone!

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Claire S

Windmill Island is an amazing venue. They were great to work with and all of my guests said it was the most fun they've had at a wedding. Wedding planning truly was a breeze when the ceremony and reception are all in the same location. We didn't have to go anywhere to take... Read More pictures either because there are so many good photo ops in the gardens. I loved the simplicity of having everything in one location - we even got ready in the bride and groom's rooms! The gardens are also convenient because they are so close to downtown that it was easy for all of our out of town guests to find accommodations nearby (even within walking distance!). Working with Margaret was great, she truly cares that your day is special. I can't say I was thrilled to have a new person be the on site coordinator for the day-of but Sage was truly wonderful as well. I recommend Windmill Island to anyone dreaming of a beautiful outdoor wedding that is easy to plan :-)

Reviewed on 6/13/2016 Rebecca H

We were truly blessed to have our wedding at Windmill Island Gardens. The venue is stunning, it requires little decor because the natural beauty dresses itself. You cannot beat the flowers, windmill, river, gorgeous white pavilion with white streaming fabric, etc. The... Read More Bride/Groom room is wonderful, with air conditioning and bathrooms. We worked with Margaret as our wedding coordinator, and she was amazing. She replied to my emails within 24 hours, and if she didn't know the answer to my email she would write me back anyway to let me know that we was working on the problem. Then I would get a second quick response with the answer. I truly appreciated the time that Margaret took to write me back, even if she didn't have an answer. Often as a Bride you are emailing so many people and stressing out... Margaret made sure that I knew what was going on at all times. She worked very hard to take the stress off my shoulders, and she did. My husband and I are very thankful for Margaret, her hard work and loving personality. Between Margaret, the venue, and the beautiful nature that surrounds it, we are incredibly happy with Windmill Island Gardens. We would absolutely change nothing about our big day!

Reviewed on 6/03/2016 Elizabeth

Wish I could add more than five stars!! I'm not from Holland or Michigan. I live in New York and planned a wedding at Windmill Island for reasons I will not explain here. I worked with Margaret, and all I can say is that I'm speechless. Our wedding was on 5/28/16 and it was... Read More more beautiful and more amazing than I could have imagined it. The venue is not only beautiful during the day, but it becomes heavenly when the sun begins to set. If you are looking for an outdoor, casual, fun, playful setting than this is it! It's sweet and colorful....I could keep going. I love this place! Every guest I had was raving about how lovely the venue was. They all kept asking me "How did you find this place!?". The town of Holland itself is so charming and quaint, but this venue is incredible. I have zero regrets having our wedding here. And to top off how amazing the venue is, the staff is also incredible. They provide everything in a set price -- talk about convenient (tables, chairs, wedding attendants, rehearsal, etc). Margaret will work with you throughout your planning on scheduling and logistics, but you will also have a day of attendant who will help with the rehearsal, as well as be there for anything you need on the day of. The entire day was seamless! Not to mention we had a perfect day for weather. I'm still dreaming of our wedding day. I cannot recommend this venue and staff more!

Reviewed on 11/14/2015 Lauren D

Not being from Holland originally, the first time I visited the Island with my husband (then-fiance) on my birthday in 2014, I fell in love with it. My husband has a strong Dutch heritage so he loved the location. Every step of the way, Alisa and Margaret were wonderful to work... Read More with. They helped keep us on track with reminder emails and quick responses to even the most ridiculous questions. They were thorough and organized throughout the entire 14 months that we planned our wedding (Sept. 19, 2015). At our final meeting, we put together a down-to-the-minute general outline of the ceremony and reception. Our master and mistress of ceremonies used it to help keep us on track day-of and we were told later that it was the smoothest-flowing reception people had been to. Our wedding day was a dream come true. The staff day-of were very kind and helpful, retrieving the wedding party and myself when it was time and guiding us through the ceremony. The reception pavilion was a dream. Our wedding colors were sangria and ivory so our reception had a beautiful magenta/purple hue in the draped white ceiling. There was so much room for dancing and a lot of fun. It has decidedly become the "best wedding" on my husband's side of the family, according to several members of my new family. The day was absolutely perfect and more than we ever could have asked for. Thank you, Windmill Island and your amazing staff, for helping make our dreams a reality! - Lauren & Chip Hallacy

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Becca G

We had our wedding on a Friday evening. Because of this, the cost was less although still somewhat expensive. Overall worth it though. The park closed around 6PM and was ours alone for the ceremony and reception. In case of rain, the ceremony could be held inside the pavilion, a... Read More semi-permanent tent, but we chose to have it outside near the gazebo. Staff were quick to grab umbrellas when it started raining during the ceremony. Lots of bathrooms for guests, well-lit at night, with plenty of space for outdoor games in fair weather. Overall a great and memorable day!

Dream wedding come true!

Reviewed on 9/28/2015 sarah l

Absolutely fabulous venue!! We did all of our pictures here and had ceremony and reception here, so convenient for us, bridal party, photographers and guests to have it all in one place. Absolutely beautiful grounds! Reception building is large and we loved having the doors open... Read More for an outdoor/tent feel. Staff is outstanding! They truly care about you and your day and help you stay organized and on schedule so that everything runs smoothly. I can't say enough good things about windmill island gardens! Thank you for making my day perfectly perfect!!

Meet The Coordinator

Margaret Tamminga

I joined the Windmill Island Gardens staff in January 2015 as the Event Specialist. I have had the honor of assisting over 100 couples, through current and past employment, along with being the, Mistress of Ceremonies for weddings of family and friends. This is something I love to do, and treasure the opportunities I have had to meet so many wonderful families along the way. I will help guide you as you plan the details for your wedding and/or reception here at Windmill Island Gardens and make your wedding planning experience a stress free and enjoyable time for all,