Winterthur Museum & Country Estate

Winterthur, DE

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Say I do...

Winterthur Museum & Country Estate is nestled in the heart of the Brandywine Valley, halfway between New York City and Washington DC. Winterthur is known for its prized gardens in spring, summer and fall and evokes a warm, inviting atmosphere for your wedding in the winter.

Ballroom, Garden, Historic Venue, Mansion + Estate, Museum, Park, Tented

Food + Catering

D5539e19 8bbd 4a86 b4c8 d7be04c6c773~rs 100
7504f472 fbdf 4115 a317 0a8fdec1b4a5~rs 100

5105 Kennett Pike, Winterthur, DE (302) 888-4910

Beautiful wedding went off without a hitch.

Reviewed on 5/08/2013 Katie H

When you walk around Winterthur it is like being in a dream. It is beautiful and almost magical. I knew it was my dream location for an outdoor wedding and indoor reception. The selling point, however, was that this was the only rain plan that didn't feel like a back up. I knew... Read More I would be happy either way. The staff is competent and really knows what they are doing. They made us feel so comfortable and confident and we were not even nervous about things going well. I didn't worry about anything except getting down the aisle without tripping! Everything was extremely well planned and made easy for us. I was so happy with this location and received so many compliments on the venue. It was worth the money to feel assured that things would go off without a hitch and to have the most beautiful wedding possible. As some of the reviews on here mentioned, the event coordinator was often very hard to get in touch with as the wedding approached. More than once I had to call random people at Winterthur and have them find her and make her call me as she would not respond to emails or voicemails. I just think that they have their timeline and they know they will get to your questions and concerns as they go and they will be taken care of- but it was scary at times to not have that response. In the end I found that all was taken care of very much to my satisfaction and it was great.

Elegant Wedding

Reviewed on 12/06/2010 Catherine B

"Simple yet Elegant" was the theme to our wedding. Having our wedding at Winterthur took it up and beyond that. The setting is gorgeous and the staff is amazing. There is not much need for added decor because Winterthur's grounds, gardens, and museums make the decor. The staff... Read More puts all your planning and details together so my wedding day was truly stress free. My fiance and I didn't have to do anything the day of our wedding except enjoy our guests! Everyone is still raving, two months later, about how it was the best wedding they've ever attended.

Reviewed on 11/24/2017 Sandra D

My husband and I got married a few weeks ago and our experience at Winterthur was top notch amazing!!! We had our ceremony by the reflecting pool which was a picturesque scene and one I will never forget. Our reception and cocktail hour was held at the Visitors Center with... Read More amazing appetizers (recommend the sliders) and a delicious meal as well. Another thing that made our day great was the staff and Melissa Sapio. She is amazing at her job and made my day seamless and the best day of my life. You highly recommend Winterthur!!!

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Ivy A

Most romantic venue ever! My husband and I got married at Winterthur Oct.14th 2017. The manager Mellissa is the best venue manager I ever met. She’s very professional, patient, and focus on every single detail. All the vendors she recommended are absolutely awesome. The food is... Read More amazing! I have been to more than 20 weddings during the past 2 years and tried so many “wedding dinners”. I have to say the filet mignon with scallop from Winterthur is the best wedding dish. Of course the cocktail d’Oeuvres is amazing too. For the venue, we had ceremony at the reflecting pool. Walking down the aisle is a big challenge. Totally 52 steps from the very top step to the pool. But it absolutely worth. It’s so romantic. Gallery, we had cocktail hour at the gallery. The marble room is elegant. Visitor center, we had reception at the visitor center. It can hold 10-people band, def more than 160 people. Big dancing floor will make your night. Highly recommend Winterthur venue if you love garden, romantic. PS, we booked a whole year ahead, and only few Saturdays left during sep and oct.

Reviewed on 10/17/2017 Olivia C

Melissa and the team at Winterthur/ Restaurant Associates were amazing! Melissa was extremely reponsive, helpful, professional and sweet throughout the entire process. She helped with several last minute changes, including the day of, and made the night go extremely smoothly.... Read More Winterthur was a BEAUTIFUL location to get married and I loved every minute of it. I cannot speak highly enough of the team there - you will not regret it!

Reviewed on 9/27/2017 Tre S

All I can say is this was absolutely fantastic! The perfect place for a wedding. I was slightly concerned about having it at the Visitors Center but it turned into a beautiful, sophisticated wedding palace The cocktail reception outside was fantastic and the inside venue... Read More was beautiful. It was simply elegant. Melissa, our Winterthur coordinator, couldn't have been more wonderful. She was engaging, detail oriented, fun, enthusiastic and most of all gave our evening a great sense of peace. I highly recommend using Winterthur for your wedding venue

Reviewed on 9/13/2017 Julie R

Had a total dream wedding here. Literally searched far and wide between D.C. and N.Y.C. and could not find a more beautiful venue (gorgeous architecture, rolling hills with beautiful flowers, tall, glorious trees... there is so much land that this venue is its own zip code). Was... Read More the perfect backdrop for a complete enchanted/secret garden/English/French countryside wedding. And if its stunning views were not enough, the food is delicious and the people are great to work with! Melissa is gem and recommended excellent other vendors to work with as well. We live in San Diego but have family on the East Coast but it was totally worth the schlep to Winterthur. Just...perfect. I want to get married there once a month.

Reviewed on 8/20/2017 Colleen C

It was a dream to have our wedding at Winterthur and I cannot recommend it highly enough. They were incredibly accommodating to work with; because they only have 1 wedding a day, they are very flexible. It was great to have the whole place to ourselves that day. Melissa, the... Read More events planner, was so helpful, responsive, and tolerant of my many, many questions. The grounds are gorgeous and the architecture is stunning. The food was delicious and the staff was very professional. It was beyond anything that I could have imagined; we had a dream wedding.

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 Megan R

By far the best wedding venue in Delaware with best wedding coordinator! Melissa was absolutely amazing to work with! From the very beginning, Melissa responded to all of my emails in a timely matter and went out of her way to do everything I asked! She was so easy to work with... Read More and personally made sure everything was perfect on my wedding day! You will not regret going with Winterthur for your wedding venue!!!

Reviewed on 9/02/2016 Jessica H

Melissa and her team were amazing!!! I would highly recommend the venue to any bride! Thank you for making our day amazing.

Beautiful Location

Reviewed on 11/17/2014 Tara M

I fell in love with the venue upon my first visit. It was a great facility and was exactly what my husband and I were looking for. We loved the different packages and places within the venue that were available. We decided to have our ceremony at the reflecting pool, which was a... Read More little dark but was beautiful. Our reception was at the visitors center and was completely transformed from our previous visits. The staff was great to work with. At the beginning of my planning the responsiveness was a little slow but as the date drew closer they were on top of things and gave me a huge sense of relief. We had 250 guests and the venue was large enough to hold everyone without feeling like it was stuffy. I would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a garden wedding that is customization to your taste.

Gorgeous Estate; Terrible Staff

Reviewed on 2/14/2013 Robyn M

I fell in love with this place from my very first visit. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that all of their promotions about how they "handle everything for you" are flat-out lies. For months I called and I e-mailed. My coordinator was Jen Lamb and it was like pulling teeth... Read More the whole time. I was interested in purchasing several upgrades, but eventually I had to give up on all of that because it was never going to happen. I thought I might be able to finally get more information as my wedding date approached, but still nothing. Right up to the night of my rehearsal, I had so much mental anguish caused by their negligence. Then things got really rough. The night of the rehearsal Jen makes a VERY embarrassing announcement that our ceremony location will be changed without ever saying a word to me or my fiancé. Obviously, I went to pieces. Eventually my dad was able to work the problem out, but I was up the whole night before my wedding having nightmares about what would happen if we couldn't work it out. We had gone to a tasting months before the wedding to customize our menu. Well I guess that they lost those notes because all of our customizations were ignored. Most importantly, my (now) husband is dairy-intollerant and so we had asked for an all non-dairy menu. It turned out that he couldn't eat half of the food! Their cake baker was also a disaster. Again calls and e-mails for months trying to get her to do a sketch of what she was planning for the cake and no luck. Finally, my fiancé got one from her (two days before the wedding) and it turned out that, instead of the all-white buttercream cake we wanted, she was planning on a fondant cake with all BLACK decorations. What's more morbid than a black wedding cake? She switched to white at the last second but the cake still turned out to be fondant. It also was leaning so badly that I thought it would fall over. Not great. The day of the wedding everyone raved about how beautiful this venue was. We had our ceremony at the reflecting pool, our cocktail hour in the galleries, and our reception in the visitor's center. I got mixed reports about Jen on the day of. My aunt had a pretty bad run in while she was trying to help make sure that everything ran smoothly. There was a really sweet assistant that was there to help us (I can't remember her name), but she seemed to get steamrolled. Our band was supposed to have permission to do one encore song (something that I even paid extra for), but they were pretty much told that they would be banned for doing the last song. Oh, and they were supposed to put favors at everyone's seat so that they would be taken, but they were thrown into a basket somewhere and no one got one. Another several hundred dollars down the drain, I guess. Wintherthur service is important! I see that another reviewer on here had the same experience with the service and I urge you to stop ignoring your paying brides! When I look back, I still love how beautiful the scenery was, but all of those months of worrying and being ignored really took their toll. Think hard before you sign that contract.

Winterthur Wedding

Reviewed on 11/02/2012 Jessica C

Winterthur Museum is a beautiful estate which is the reason I chose this venue to hold my wedding. As soon as I took a tour, my heart was set on it. The beauty of the venue itself will not disappoint you (no matter which options/locations you choose). The food was great- all... Read More of my guests had great things to say. I will say that the cost is high, so keep this in mind. Straying from their basic package will definitely result in cost much higher than you anticipated. The service was okay- I was always the one who had to contact the employees there rather than them checking on me, asking if I had questions, etc. which made the process more difficult for me. Finally, I would advise that you add on an hour to the wedding reception if you have a wedding on any day other than a Saturday. We really felt the extra hour would have been beneficial- it went by so quickly. In addition, I was surprised that the bar did not have some (standard) items that I was anticipating such as pineapple juice for mixed drinks, rose wine, etc. Make sure you check your package to see what kind of alcohol will be available to you! Overall, it is a great place to hold a wedding- just pay attention to those extra details and be ready to pay for additional personalized items that you may want to include.

Beautiful estate but unresponsive team

Reviewed on 9/14/2012 Amanda B

Gorgeous place to get married. We didn't have to do too much with the outdoor ceremony space since the estate is so pretty already. We did have some issues in the process. Staff was not responsive to calls or emails. Came through on day of which was much appreciated. They need... Read More more staff to handle a venue of that size and price. Our vegetarians were also not served their meals.

great

Reviewed on 9/02/2011 Christie c

This place is very beautiful, especially if you have an outdoor wedding. My wedding coordinator Jen was great,easy to work with and definitely knew what she was doing. Place is pricey, and they try to get you to only use their recommended vendors and try to get you to pay extra... Read More if you don't. Don't let them. Also don't let your guests before strangely walk their grounds before the ceremony.

Perfectly Romantic and Sophisticated

Reviewed on 11/03/2010 Mary R

A very warm and intimate setting for family and friends!