Winterthur Museum & Country Estate

Winterthur, DE

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Book Your Wedding with Winterthur Museum & Country Estate

A BALLROOM IN WINTERTHUR, DE

Winterthur Museum & Country Estate was built in the early twentieth century by Henry Francis du Pont, a well-known antiques collector and horticulturist. The mansion, situated on a 979-acre estate in the Brandywine Valley in Delaware, was designed in the spirit of eighteenth and nineteenth century European country houses. The 175 period rooms in the mansion house one of the most prestigious collections of Americana in the United States. The venue hosts weddings and receptions as well as other wedding events.

The Visitor Center Pavilion. The Visitor Center Pavilion is a great place to dance the night away, no extra dance floor is needed. A patio, which can be tented during colder months, enlarges the space which accommodates up to 300 people.

The Galleries Reception Atrium. The Galleries Reception Atrium is a naturally-lit, spacious area with a contemporary decor. The space accommodates up to 150 people for wedding ceremonies and up to 80 people for dinner and dancing.

T

he Reflecting Pool. The Reflecting Pool, a romantic location for an intimate wedding ceremony, is surrounded by 100 year old trees, overflowing florals and lush gardens. The bride is escorted down a long cobble staircase to the ceremony space which accommodates up to 200 people.

Brown's Woods Meadow. Brown's Woods Meadow is a woodland setting complete with birds, wild flowers, natural landscaping and a unique winding path to follow. The outdoor space accommodates up to 350 people for a sit-down dinner or 1,000 people for a cocktail reception.

The Meadow Lot. The Meadow Lot provides views of estate ponds with flowering trees in the spring and wild sunflowers in the summer. The space accommodates up to 600 people.

Sundial Garden. Guests are welcome to meander along the Sundial Garden's various paths to uncover different food and beverages around each bend. The location accommodates up to 200 people.

Cottage Terrace Lawn and Clenny Run. The Cottage was the home of H. F. du Pont after the museum opened. Cottage Terrace Lawn is a tranquil location for an outdoor reception next to Clenny Run. A tent can be set up in the space that accommodates up to 300 people.

The venue offers wedding packages or couples can work with the in-house caterer, Restaurant Associates, to customize a menu. Winterthur Premier Package is a served dinner package which includes butlered hors d’oeuvres, a premium open bar, delicious entrees, wedding cakes, passes for guests and a bridal attendant. Winterthur Wedding Package includes a full open bar, butlered hors d'oeuvres, a two course meal and a wedding cake. Winterthur Stations Package is designed to have many food options and to give guests a chance to mingle. Packages are for a minimum of 100 people.

The venue affords many amenities, such as Winterthur photo opportunities and a team of wedding professionals are available to make wedding planning simple and easy. Couples are offered a complimentary cake tasting and meeting with the executive chef. Wedding advisers assist with hotel reservations, linens and all other coordinating details as needed and a Bridal Attendant takes care of all of a bride's needs on her wedding day. In addition, couples are welcome to enlist the services of a wedding planner, if desired.

The museum's 175 period rooms display about 85,000 objects and In the 1990s, museum galleries, that feature special rotating and permanent exhibits, were opened in a new building that is adjacent to the mansion. All visitors are encouraged to enjoy the estate's amenities, including:

• All wedding guests receive Gallery Passes, giving them an opportunity to enjoy the exhibits
  • All wedding guests receive Garden passes. They can stroll through the 60-acre naturalistic garden or enjoy a narrated garden tram tour

A Perfect Place for your Dream Wedding.

Winterthur Museum & Country Estate is nestled in the heart of the Brandywine Valley, halfway between New York City and Washington DC. Winterthur is known for its prized gardens in spring, summer and fall and evokes a warm, inviting atmosphere for your wedding in the winter.

Ballroom, Garden, Estate, Museum, Historic Venue, Park, Tented

Food + Catering

Route 52 Kennett Pike, Winterthur, DE (302) 888-4910

Beautiful wedding went off without a hitch.

Reviewed on 5/08/2013 Katie H

When you walk around Winterthur it is like being in a dream. It is beautiful and almost magical. I knew it was my dream location for an outdoor wedding and indoor reception. The selling point, however, was that this was the only rain plan that didn't feel like a back up. I knew... Read More I would be happy either way. The staff is competent and really knows what they are doing. They made us feel so comfortable and confident and we were not even nervous about things going well. I didn't worry about anything except getting down the aisle without tripping! Everything was extremely well planned and made easy for us. I was so happy with this location and received so many compliments on the venue. It was worth the money to feel assured that things would go off without a hitch and to have the most beautiful wedding possible. As some of the reviews on here mentioned, the event coordinator was often very hard to get in touch with as the wedding approached. More than once I had to call random people at Winterthur and have them find her and make her call me as she would not respond to emails or voicemails. I just think that they have their timeline and they know they will get to your questions and concerns as they go and they will be taken care of- but it was scary at times to not have that response. In the end I found that all was taken care of very much to my satisfaction and it was great.

Elegant Wedding

Reviewed on 12/06/2010 Catherine B

"Simple yet Elegant" was the theme to our wedding. Having our wedding at Winterthur took it up and beyond that. The setting is gorgeous and the staff is amazing. There is not much need for added decor because Winterthur's grounds, gardens, and museums make the decor. The staff... Read More puts all your planning and details together so my wedding day was truly stress free. My fiance and I didn't have to do anything the day of our wedding except enjoy our guests! Everyone is still raving, two months later, about how it was the best wedding they've ever attended.

Reviewed on 9/13/2017 Julie R

Had a total dream wedding here. Literally searched far and wide between D.C. and N.Y.C. and could not find a more beautiful venue (gorgeous architecture, rolling hills with beautiful flowers, tall, glorious trees... there is so much land that this venue is its own zip code). Was... Read More the perfect backdrop for a complete enchanted/secret garden/English/French countryside wedding. And if its stunning views were not enough, the food is delicious and the people are great to work with! Melissa is gem and recommended excellent other vendors to work with as well. We live in San Diego but have family on the East Coast but it was totally worth the schlep to Winterthur. Just...perfect. I want to get married there once a month.

Reviewed on 8/20/2017 Colleen C

It was a dream to have our wedding at Winterthur and I cannot recommend it highly enough. They were incredibly accommodating to work with; because they only have 1 wedding a day, they are very flexible. It was great to have the whole place to ourselves that day. Melissa, the... Read More events planner, was so helpful, responsive, and tolerant of my many, many questions. The grounds are gorgeous and the architecture is stunning. The food was delicious and the staff was very professional. It was beyond anything that I could have imagined; we had a dream wedding.

Reviewed on 9/11/2016 Megan R

By far the best wedding venue in Delaware with best wedding coordinator! Melissa was absolutely amazing to work with! From the very beginning, Melissa responded to all of my emails in a timely matter and went out of her way to do everything I asked! She was so easy to work with... Read More and personally made sure everything was perfect on my wedding day! You will not regret going with Winterthur for your wedding venue!!!

Reviewed on 9/02/2016 Jessica H

Melissa and her team were amazing!!! I would highly recommend the venue to any bride! Thank you for making our day amazing.

Beautiful Location

Reviewed on 11/17/2014 Tara M

I fell in love with the venue upon my first visit. It was a great facility and was exactly what my husband and I were looking for. We loved the different packages and places within the venue that were available. We decided to have our ceremony at the reflecting pool, which was a... Read More little dark but was beautiful. Our reception was at the visitors center and was completely transformed from our previous visits. The staff was great to work with. At the beginning of my planning the responsiveness was a little slow but as the date drew closer they were on top of things and gave me a huge sense of relief. We had 250 guests and the venue was large enough to hold everyone without feeling like it was stuffy. I would recommend this venue to anyone looking for a garden wedding that is customization to your taste.

Gorgeous Estate; Terrible Staff

Reviewed on 2/14/2013 Robyn M

I fell in love with this place from my very first visit. Unfortunately, I learned the hard way that all of their promotions about how they "handle everything for you" are flat-out lies. For months I called and I e-mailed. My coordinator was Jen Lamb and it was like pulling teeth... Read More the whole time. I was interested in purchasing several upgrades, but eventually I had to give up on all of that because it was never going to happen. I thought I might be able to finally get more information as my wedding date approached, but still nothing. Right up to the night of my rehearsal, I had so much mental anguish caused by their negligence. Then things got really rough. The night of the rehearsal Jen makes a VERY embarrassing announcement that our ceremony location will be changed without ever saying a word to me or my fiancé. Obviously, I went to pieces. Eventually my dad was able to work the problem out, but I was up the whole night before my wedding having nightmares about what would happen if we couldn't work it out. We had gone to a tasting months before the wedding to customize our menu. Well I guess that they lost those notes because all of our customizations were ignored. Most importantly, my (now) husband is dairy-intollerant and so we had asked for an all non-dairy menu. It turned out that he couldn't eat half of the food! Their cake baker was also a disaster. Again calls and e-mails for months trying to get her to do a sketch of what she was planning for the cake and no luck. Finally, my fiancé got one from her (two days before the wedding) and it turned out that, instead of the all-white buttercream cake we wanted, she was planning on a fondant cake with all BLACK decorations. What's more morbid than a black wedding cake? She switched to white at the last second but the cake still turned out to be fondant. It also was leaning so badly that I thought it would fall over. Not great. The day of the wedding everyone raved about how beautiful this venue was. We had our ceremony at the reflecting pool, our cocktail hour in the galleries, and our reception in the visitor's center. I got mixed reports about Jen on the day of. My aunt had a pretty bad run in while she was trying to help make sure that everything ran smoothly. There was a really sweet assistant that was there to help us (I can't remember her name), but she seemed to get steamrolled. Our band was supposed to have permission to do one encore song (something that I even paid extra for), but they were pretty much told that they would be banned for doing the last song. Oh, and they were supposed to put favors at everyone's seat so that they would be taken, but they were thrown into a basket somewhere and no one got one. Another several hundred dollars down the drain, I guess. Wintherthur service is important! I see that another reviewer on here had the same experience with the service and I urge you to stop ignoring your paying brides! When I look back, I still love how beautiful the scenery was, but all of those months of worrying and being ignored really took their toll. Think hard before you sign that contract.

Winterthur Wedding

Reviewed on 11/02/2012 Jessica C

Winterthur Museum is a beautiful estate which is the reason I chose this venue to hold my wedding. As soon as I took a tour, my heart was set on it. The beauty of the venue itself will not disappoint you (no matter which options/locations you choose). The food was great- all... Read More of my guests had great things to say. I will say that the cost is high, so keep this in mind. Straying from their basic package will definitely result in cost much higher than you anticipated. The service was okay- I was always the one who had to contact the employees there rather than them checking on me, asking if I had questions, etc. which made the process more difficult for me. Finally, I would advise that you add on an hour to the wedding reception if you have a wedding on any day other than a Saturday. We really felt the extra hour would have been beneficial- it went by so quickly. In addition, I was surprised that the bar did not have some (standard) items that I was anticipating such as pineapple juice for mixed drinks, rose wine, etc. Make sure you check your package to see what kind of alcohol will be available to you! Overall, it is a great place to hold a wedding- just pay attention to those extra details and be ready to pay for additional personalized items that you may want to include.

Beautiful estate but unresponsive team

Reviewed on 9/14/2012 Amanda B

Gorgeous place to get married. We didn't have to do too much with the outdoor ceremony space since the estate is so pretty already. We did have some issues in the process. Staff was not responsive to calls or emails. Came through on day of which was much appreciated. They need... Read More more staff to handle a venue of that size and price. Our vegetarians were also not served their meals.

great

Reviewed on 9/02/2011 Christie c

This place is very beautiful, especially if you have an outdoor wedding. My wedding coordinator Jen was great,easy to work with and definitely knew what she was doing. Place is pricey, and they try to get you to only use their recommended vendors and try to get you to pay extra... Read More if you don't. Don't let them. Also don't let your guests before strangely walk their grounds before the ceremony.

Perfectly Romantic and Sophisticated

Reviewed on 11/03/2010 Mary R

A very warm and intimate setting for family and friends!