128 South

Wilmington, NC

Capacity: Up to 250 | WEBSITE | PHONE

Historic charm…meets modern elegance.

Located on the banks of the Cape Fear River in downtown Wilmington, 128 South offers the premier indoor/outdoor venue with spectacular views from the 128 South River View Deck. Ideal for all your wedding needs. Adjoining accommodations are well-suited for you or your guests.

• Indoor Ceremony Area

• Valet Parking

• Wheelchair Accessible

$$$ - Moderate

Style

Banquet/Reception Hall, Hotel/Resort, Mansion/Historic Site, Unusual/Alternative

128 South Front Street, Wilmington, NC

Perfection

Reviewed on 5/19/2015 Fran S

128 South was the venue for my wedding ceremony and reception. I couldn't have been more pleased. The second story deck overlooking the river and downtown Wilmington created a perfect backdrop for the ceremony and the reception. The custom menu was delicious and got rave reviews from our guests. Even my Aunt Grace, the matriarch of my family, who is hard to please, talked about how well done everything was. The staff was super attentive and executed flawlessly. On the front end, Chere said "yes" to everything and always did so with a smile. 128 South is one of the primere wedding venues in Wilmington and their reputation is well deserved.

Wedding Ceremony and Reception at 128 South 11.08.14

Reviewed on 12/15/2014 Emily H

We got married at 128 South on 11.08.14 and it was absolutely perfect. After we got engaged we made appointments to look at several venues but, after seeing 128 South first we booked it immediately and cancelled all other tours. It was such an easy decision to make! We had our ceremony and cocktails/apps on the rooftop deck, dinner inside, and dancing back on the deck. The team at 128 South was so professional and everything went off without a hitch. The venue makes for the most beautiful photos and all of our guests were raving about the food and location. Our second most favorite venue option is Bakery 105 (right across the street and owned by the same people as 128 South). Definitely worth looking there as well!

128 South is the best!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014

I just had my wedding here last week and it was the most wonderful experience ever! Everyone goes above and beyond to help you with anything you need. They are on top of their game every step of the way. The service, food.....everything is spectacular!!! I couldn't have gotten any luckier finding this place in Wilmington. It's such a beautiful, intimate setting inside and outside on the deck is gorgeous and spacious. Chere' was my wedding coordinator, not only is she a doll but she is fabulous at what she does. She took care of everything and always responded back to my calls/emails promptly. My wedding was a dream come true and they made everything so easy. There's no place better to have your event!

Very Pleased

Reviewed on 11/14/2014 Theresa D

128 South did an excellent job the day of the wedding. Everyone raved about the food and the employees (bartenders, coordinators, servers) were very nice and accommodating. I must say throughout the process it was a little hectic coordinating with them; however, I would not have changed anything as they made it all happen on the only day it mattered. I could not have been more pleased at how everything looked and how smooth the night went. Thank you 128 South.

Wonderful Experience!

Reviewed on 10/04/2014 Suzanne F

My wedding at 128 South was more than I could have imagined! Katherine was amazing to work with and made sure everything was perfect. Her professionalism and patience shined through the entire process. It actually felt like working with a friend rather than a vendor. The food was excellent and all of our guests raved about it. It truly was a perfect evening!

128 South Recommendation

Reviewed on 9/12/2014 Melissa V

We booked 128 South for our wedding and couldn't be happier. Janna was our contact there, as well as our Day of Coordinator. She was very helpful, attentive, and most of all professional. The staff on the day of the event was great and the place was decorated perfectly (all they had to go on were some boxes I dropped off and few scribbled instructions). I highly recommend this venue, and Janna in particular, to anyone planning their next big event! PS- The amount listed under 'Total Cost' is literally the final tally for the whole wedding (tent, linens, music, cake, etc). The venue alone- just entrance, food, and bar package was about $16,000.

Rustic Meets Elegance

Reviewed on 7/29/2014 Hilary J

I fell in love with 128 South from the moment I saw it, didn't even look at other venues! The venue fit perfectly with our wedding theme, kind of rustic yet elegant. We had our hearts set on a brunch wedding, therefore our ceremony started at 11:30AM outside on the deck with the reception to follow inside. Both the deck and the inside of the venue are absolutely beautiful! We had about 120 people at the wedding, which is about the max the venue can hold. It was very comfortable and cozy though, not cramped or anything. All of the guests loved the venue because it so unique with the upstairs loft and the beautiful windows and brick wall. People also loved the food, which was incredible! We used 128's brunch menu (scrambled eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, fruit/yogurt, frittata) and it was delicious! We hired Janna and Chere to be our Wedding Day Coordinators and they were amazing! We met with Janna a few times in the months before the wedding to go over ideas and what we wanted, and then the day before the wedding we dropped off our decorations for the walls and the mantels (picture frames, etc). The morning of the wedding, Janna and Chere took care of everything and it was beautiful! Better than I even imagined! They also made sure the wedding timeline went perfectly and I didn't have to worry about anything the day of, which was truly a blessing. If I could do it all over again (which I honestly wish I could!) I wouldn't change a thing! I'm so thankful to have found this amazing venue and to have worked with Janna and Chere to make the wedding of my dreams come to life!

World-Class Service & Staff

Reviewed on 7/14/2014 Courtney R

From the beginning, we loved 128 South! JJ won us over with our tour. If you go, make sure it's when they're setting up for an event; this way you can really see the space in full effect! 128 staff were amazing, especially Chere. She is ON HER GAME! She recently got married & can completely empathize with the wedding craziness. She was always there with suggestions, open to last minute changes, & stopped at nothing to make your day special. She found ways to make things work instead of saying no. Here's a small example: we bought these little blue tea lights we wanted on the tables. Well, I didn't know they weren't allowed under our tent so Chere suggested to just cut off the wick so no one light them & we could still use them! They have quick communication & are very flexible to your wishes. We were able to create a custom menu & cocktails. They even agreed to stay an hour later for our reception. I would highly recommend the bar package; it was a great price & selection. The space itself is great! We utilized the whole space with cocktails inside, dinner outside, & dancing inside. Our guests raved about the location, which was 1 block from the River! The upper deck actually over looks the river & the USS NC Battleship. I highly recommend 128 South!!!!

Wedding at 128 South

Reviewed on 7/02/2014 Kasey M

Jana and Chere' at 128 South were amazing people to work with to get my wedding day planned and executed! My husband and I were planning our wedding via email, fax, and phone calls from Los Angeles, CA and when any issue or conflict came up, both Jana and Chere' responded immediately. On the day of, Chere' worked with our wedding coordinator to help our wedding go off without a hitch. Apparently a few things went wrong that I didn't know about until the next day, and Chere' quickly stepped in to fix everything up perfectly, including fixing us up with a cup cake stand because ours was too wobbly to hold the topper and top cake. Every guest that attended raved about our choice of venue in that it was super convenient to have the ceremony outside on the deck and then go inside to have dinner and dancing. 128 catered our event and the food was delicious! I'd recommend having the mac and cheese (not just for any kid guests) because it was fantastic and was my favorite dish there. We used their house system for the pre-ceremony, ceremony, and cocktail/dinner music and it worked beautifully. There was an attendant ready to fade down the music and fade it back up for each cue. Matt, the bartender, was very friendly to my guests and helped make the night wonderful! It was like a mini boot camp in that every one working knew exactly where they needed to be and what time things were getting done. Every time I went back to my table, my water goblet was full of cold water and they brought out two glasses of toasting champagne for myself and my husband. All in all, 128 is a great venue and the employees are fantastic! I will recommend it to anyone looking to get married in downtown Wilmington!

Just fabulous!

Reviewed on 4/22/2014 Julie

The food, wait staff, venue were all just wonderful! I planned my wedding from out of town and the staff was awesome at communicating via e-mail and being flexible with me when I was in town for meeting and viewing the venue. The food got rave reviews from our guests. I'm not sure that there was a single favorite item! We had the pulled pork bbq and fried chicken as entrees and everyone loved it! Chere was leading the team and made sure we were taken care of all night... she had a plate made for us each as soon as we sat down for the dinner and was always watching out for us. I cannot say enough nice things about this venue-- it is such a charming, unique, intimate venue and the only thing I wish is that I could attend a wedding at 128 South in the future so I could really sit back and enjoy it... such an awesome venue!

Great Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 11/10/2013 Lauren B

128 south is beautiful venue if you plan on keeping your guest list at 100 or so and less. We had 100 and it was perfect. We got married on the back deck, had cocktail hour inside, dinner back outside, and dancing inside. The venue is a nice semi blank canvas that can be versatile based on your design scheme. The only reason I would not give them five stars is that many of the things I was promised in the beginning that made me choose the space were not possible later on for our event. Overall it was a lovely wedding venue. (We even planned our wedding for riverfest weekend and got a free fireworks display out of it!)

Breathtaking

Reviewed on 10/22/2013 Lee Ann S

We couldn't have imagined having our recpetion anywhere else beside 128 South. Food, service and venue is absolutely spectacular! Thank you for making our recpetion so special!

Best Party Ever

Reviewed on 10/16/2013 Valerie S

Great food, drinks and value. Everything went very smoothly. Janna our wedding coordinator and her staff were very helpful without over doing it. We felt quite taken care of. In the past couple days, we have gotten so many compliments from friends and family about the service and food. It was the party we have ever had and we had an amazing wedding. All I had to do was say, "I do"!

Reception Site

Reviewed on 10/08/2013 Matthew D

Awesome rustic site with amazing service! Very easy to work with and made our day one to remember.

September Wedding

Reviewed on 10/06/2013 Meredith L

The staff was lovely and seemed to really enjoy their job. Everyone who attended our wedding had a great time and commented on what a great job 128 did. The venue is beautiful and made a large group of people feel like a small family gathering. Thank you!

Karie Cavallaro Davis

Reviewed on 8/19/2013 Karie C

Unbelievable evening! Excellent service, exceptional food, professional and gracious staff! Everyone at 128 South made our evening a night to remember!

128 South, Wilmington, NC

Reviewed on 7/30/2013

I planned a wedding within 2 1/2 months, my husband and I made a rush decision to get married before our first child. I was concerned with time but thought I would try to do my best. I have to say hands down, 128 South helped with our budget in every way and steered us in all the right directions. If we had more money or time I wouldn't change one thing. Perfection!! I would highly recommend their services/catering company. We did not try the food before hand, but after reading all the previous reviews took away any fears. FANTASTIC, our guests are still telling us how amazing the food was. Janna, the coordinator took care of the day for us, we did not want for anything. It was such a pleasure to work with her and the team. Knowing what I know now, I would do it over again. The best day of my life, the day was truly beautiful.

Venue

Reviewed on 6/25/2013 tracy s

Awesome

Perfection

Reviewed on 6/23/2013 Aleksandra D

128 South was absolutely amazing from beginning to end. Not only was the venue gorgeous, but the staff did an incredible job and the reception was everything we wanted and more. The staff at 128 was able to work around our budget and did whatever they could to make our wedding day perfect. Janna, the day of coordinator, was wonderful to work with. She knows what she’s doing, is very organized, and goes way above and beyond the call of duty to make sure everything runs smoothly. She made everything so easy and stress free. I wish everyone could have someone like that to work with on their wedding day, she was truly a blessing. The food was also amazing. We had a sit down dinner for 130 on the deck. Everything was absolutely delicious. The beef tenderloin was cooked to perfection and the crab cakes were out of this world, so meaty (no filler). They even helped us incorporate some traditionally polish food into the appetizers that were served. The chef was also able to accommodate numerous food allergies, including one guest who was allergic to both garlic and onions. The service was also outstanding. All the servers were extremely attentive and friendly. They were just so on top of it! To sum up, I would never choose anywhere else for my wedding!

Ceremony & Reception Venue

Reviewed on 5/20/2013 Christina P

All I had to do when booking my ceremony and reception location is just see pictures of 128 South and I was sold. As the wedding approached and I'd tell other hired vendors where I chose, I heard nothing but rave reviews. After working with the people of 128 South and having my wedding there, I can completely understand why! They are incredibly professional and organized. They take a legitimate interest into your day and give you complete confidence that they will ensure it will be amazing. The food is AMAZING! All of my guests are still talking about how good the food was and I've been been told that it's the best food they've had at a wedding.. even better than a lot of restaurants they have been to. They allow you to hire another restaurant to cater, but I have no idea why you would. The food is honestly amazing! The style of the building is just gorgeous too. It provides an excellent feel to your day. I honestly could not be happier with my decision on 128 South and I trust you won't either!

The perfect place for our wedding

Reviewed on 5/19/2013 Rachel G

We could not have picked a better venue for our wedding ceremony and reception. The rooftop deck was perfect for a ceremony overlooking the river and great for our size wedding (fewer than 100 guests). The reception was held inside a beautiful, historic hall on the inside. It definitely had the elegant, old Wilmington feel we were going for. We had our food catered by 128 South, and it was amazing. Because we no longer live in Wilmington, we relied on my bridesmaid for the tasting and everything she recommended was perfect. Our entrees were the blackened flank steak and the Easter & Western N.C. barbecue. Both were phenomenal. We also rented chivari chairs from 128 South. They were not part of our contract, but absolutely worth the extra cost ($4.50 per chair). They were beautiful. Janna, JJ and the whole staff at 128 South are phenomenal. Janna, especially, was responsive as I had questions throughout the process. She and our coordinator made sure the day went off smoothly without a hitch. They're truly great people, and we could not have asked for anywhere more perfect for our wedding. I cannot recommend 128 South highly enough.

Eubanks/Arcieri Wedding

Reviewed on 5/06/2013 Jessica E

I have been married a week and have already recommended 128 South Events to two friends for upcoming weddings! From the start, you are in good hands with this establishment. Not only did they provide excellent advice, guidance, and service on their end- they also helped me to find the best coordinator, DJ, and party supply services. Despite many personal obstacles on our end due to family illness, 128 South made our road to "I Do" incredibly smooth and our BIG DAY was perfect!!!! Well done 128! The Arcieri's are forever grateful for your help and service!

128 South, Wilmington NC - Reception

Reviewed on 3/15/2013 Janet R

What a delight to work with the staff of 128 South. Our daughter's early March wedding was planned from California which was quite a challenge, but wonderfully executed by Janna (at 128 South) and our coordinator, Jill White. 128 South has a charming ambiance with so many opportunities for creativity—from elegant to artsy chic. So even from 3,000 miles away, everything we thought of, made and brought looked lovely. Our vision was for a Tuscan, alfresco, family-style meal and the results were wonderful. We left our decorations at the venue the day before and were delighted at how well the staff used everything since we weren’t available to provide supervision. We started with a cocktail hour on the first floor with tasty and nicely displayed hors d'oeuvers. We opted for the lounge furniture which worked nicely as an intimate spot for conversations. I felt the acoustics were very good considering we had about 100 guests. Dinner was on the tented deck and every member of the staff was conscientious about our comfort since the weather was quite cool and windy. The menu created by the chef was excellent and received raves and even requests for the recipes! The only mishap was my fault since I either misunderstood or had not read the contract carefully—real candles were not allowed on the deck per fire code. On the "day of" we got a call and almost panicked! But thankfully, Janna asked us to provide a pack of batteries and 128 South used their own faux candles instead. How accommodating is that? Everything was accounted for with so much attention to our comfort and enjoyment. We couldn't have asked for a nicer reception or nicer people to work with. I know the memories will last a lifetime for our daughter and new son-in-law. Wilmington exemplifies the gentility and charm of the South and will have a special place in our hearts.

FABULOUS

Reviewed on 12/16/2012 Erin M

From the second we walked in the door to the moment we walked out after our reception, the team at 128 South was attentive, responsive, caring, and all around AWESOME. They are so EASY to work with--accomodating, thoughtful, and professional. The food was DELICIOUS--we heard from multiple guests after our reception that it was "the best wedding food" they'd ever had, and some said it was some of the best FOOD they've had! JJ and Janna were quick to respond to emails, condusive to all of our requests, and just a pleasure to work with. The afternoon of our reception they had a plate of appetizers set aside for my husband and I, and were sure to keep our glasses full and were there at every turn to make sure we had what we needed. The location and venue speak for themselves--I will speak on behalf of the staff--they are AMAZING and exactly they type of professionals you want to deal with for your wedding. Thank you, 128 South!

Mother of the Bride

Reviewed on 11/25/2012 Laura H

We love 128 South! Last year on 9-10 -11 my son was married and held his reception there--This year on 11-10-12 his twin sister had her wedding reception there. Because her brother had had such a terrific experience at 128, she and her fiance decided on the same venue. JJ Christy and Janna are just great to work with and the space has such charm--The food is so good and now the outdoor deck adds another dimension to 128 South. Both wedding receptions which were held there were just outstanding and we could not have been happier--

TO 128 South