Book Your Wedding with 1840s Plaza

A BALLROOM IN BALTIMORE, MD

Located in the Jonestown area of Baltimore's Inner Harbor, 1840s Plaza offers a historic place to hold a wedding and reception inside of the Fava Building. The entire event space has several venues with unique architecture that can handle weddings of all sizes. The bride and groom can also book suites in the 1840s Carrollton Inn for themselves and guests for an all-inclusive wedding package.

1840s Ballroom. Located on the fourth floor of the 1840s Plaza, the Ballroom overlooks the Courtyard Garden and is ideal for both receptions and ceremonies. The 1840s Ballroom is on the fourth floor of the Fava Building. It holds 230 people seated and 350 standing.

1840s City Lites. Located on the second floor of the Fava Building, this room features more of a lounge-like atmosphere for pre-reception cocktail parties. It also features the White Tower Diner from when the building was part of the Baltimore City Life Museum. It holds 150 guests banquet style or 250 theater style.

1840s Cabaret. This space holds 110 guests seated or 230 standing. This room features a Latin-style decor, which was originally designed for a tango club and restaurant. It is now a dedicated space for a wedding reception with dinner and dancing.

Courtyard Gardens. 1840s plaza offers two lush gardens for outdoor ceremonies and receptions. These gardens connect the Fava Building with the Carroll Mansion and Carrollton Inn for easy access to all amenities. A cobblestone path leads up to the gardens from Front Street, while a wrought-iron gatehouse adds to the charm.

1840s Carrollton Inn. This is a boutique bed and breakfast made of interconnected rowhomes that were built in the 19th Century. The Carrollton Inn features 13 different suites, decorated with antique furnishings and providing a luxurious breakfast. It connects to the Courtyard Gardens.

The 1840s Plaza has a list of preferred caterers and vendors with who it works with and you can hire. These caterers are skilled in creating all kinds of cuisine to fit a wide range of dietary requirements and cultures.

The venue also works with vendors for audio and visual needs, pre-wedding beauty, musicians, photographers, libations and officiants, among other necessary professionals. When booking a venue, the couple receives the help of a dedicated event team that helps coordinate everything with the wedding vendors, makes sure the event is set up properly and walks the couple through everything.

When a couple books one of the venues at 1840s Plaza, their rental includes furnishings of a set amount of chiavari chairs and round tables. Additional furnishings are available for a fee. 1840s Plaza also offers ceremony-only packages, including a package that includes just the ceremony and an all-inclusive package that includes dinner for the couple and accommodations.

A few additional perks of holding a ceremony and reception at 1840s Plaza include:

• Professional security for guests
  • Complimentary valet parking on Friday and Saturday
  • Close proximity to Little Italy portion of Baltimore

The venue is also close to several Baltimore attractions, including:

• Baltimore Museum of Art
  • Jonestown Heritage Walk
  • Port Discovery Children's Museum
  • Edgar Allen Poe Museum
  • Maryland Science Center

Charm City Elegance, Unforgettable Events!

Explore three floors of authentic Baltimore event space for wedding ceremonies and receptions! Choose from the Latin-inspired first floor Cabaret, second floor with historic diner and city vignettes and the elegant ballroom with hand-painted murals, a hand-carved bar and stunning city views.

Ballroom, Garden, Historic Venue

Service Staff

29 South Front St, Baltimore, MD (410) 385-1840
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Alyssa R

Couldn't have been happier with 1840's Plaza for our wedding ceremony & reception! I already knew how much I loved the space (upper courtyard-ceremony, lower courtyard-cocktail hour, and City Lights floor-reception) but the staff was above & beyond what I'd hoped for (and needed... Read More for) the whole weekend. Everything from the venue just went so smoothly, including coordination with our outside vendors, and I'm surprised to say nothing at ALL went wrong during our entire wedding weekend. Stasia was clearly a very experienced & knowledgeable wedding planner/coordinator, and helped me (a quite clueless bride) figure out so many small details and the best flow for everything from start to finish. Dianna was also so helpful in planning some of our pre-wedding meetings and plans. Additionally, I stayed in the 1840's Carroll Suite the night before to have as my bridal suite to get ready in the day of the wedding, with my fiance and I staying there that night after our reception. I loved every part of my wedding and wouldn't have changed a thing, and all our guests told us how much they loved the City Lights space. And most of all - its location was so convenient to the nearby hotels and some other restaurants/bars, it was very convenient for our mostly out-of-town guests to not have to travel or figure out any complicated logistics. From ceremony rehearsal Friday night to checking out Sunday morning, I honestly have no complaints whatsoever and highly recommend the 1840's Plaza complex for any Baltimore wedding.

Reviewed on 7/20/2015 Laura P

1840's was an amazing place to have our wedding! The staff is so friendly and really willing to work with you. The venue itself has such character and is so beautiful. The staff goes above in beyond on your wedding day. Stasia was our event coordinator there and she was... Read More amazing!My bridesmaids were having trouble bustling my dress and she stepped in and helped. So grateful! She also got us food during the cocktail hour to make sure we got chance to eat.The staff there are very detailed oriented and made sure things run smoothly throughout the night. Would recommend 1840's to all my friends who are getting married!

Not your typical ballroom

Reviewed on 11/30/2014 Sarah H

We loved this venue because it wasn't your "typical ballroom". The exposed wooden beam ceilings and murals on the walls give it a unique feel. I originally wanted the ceremony to be outside in the courtyard but had to move it inside because of inclement weather. We had a back up... Read More plan for an indoor ceremony all along but I was amazed at how well they were able to transform ballroom into a beautiful ceremony space and then quickly turn it over into the reception space. Everyone I worked with was pleasant and willing to make my day a dream come true : )

Reviewed on 6/26/2017 Lindsey N

Not only was 1840's Plaza a beautiful venue but their team went above and beyond to make our wedding day perfect. Their team served as the point person for all our vendors so we didn't have to worry about anything the day of!

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Suzan M

The 1840s Carrollton Inn is in a nice location centrally located in Baltimore City, with valet parking and security included with the wedding packages. The venue offers four optional ballrooms to host a wedding. We took the top floor, most expensive option in prime time,... Read More Saturday, and during wedding season, September 2016. There was plenty of space for the guests to mill about comfortably and the atmosphere is relaxing. The staff and owner need improvement. Dianna Levin, assistant manager, gave us a tour of the facility and we liked it right away. We looked at a couple of other venues and Dianna was the not the most snobby and aloof of venue tour guides, but quite off-putting for the price we paid. Pretension is a big turn off when trying to close a big deal. Stasia Cruz, the general manager and owner was not snobby, which was good, but I when I requested to pay by credit card balances due, she wanted to add surcharges to the already large bill for using a credit card. I decided to pay by check with no surcharges. In the end Stasia was accommodating as she allowed us to park our cars in the private lot since we also stayed at the Inn after the wedding. What was poor form was the staff at the front desk accused us of losing the plastic re-programmable room key and wanted to charge us $25 for the lost key. Unfortunately, we never received a key in the first place and accessed our room because the door was left open all night. 1840s Plaza, nice place, poor management.

Reviewed on 1/07/2016

1840's is a gorgeous venue, but it stops at that. I got married here in November and had a nightmare of an experience with 1840's Plaza and their staff. I would never recommend anyone to get married and/or hold an event here. You will go through the ringer with their staff. Upon... Read More signing the contract I was promised the moon, for example, the ceremony and reception can all take place in one room; they had pipe and draping for everything that we needed; I wouldn't need a wedding planner because they provide those services. This, as well as many other "promises" were not "kept." I went from renting one room, to having to rent the ENTIRE building in order to have our wedding there, which was unbelievably costly. Stassi and Dianna were absolute nightmares to work with. Our wedding still ended up being stunningly gorgeous but that was because of our private wedding planner we hired and all the outside vendors. In addition, when we went through our final walk through of the venue, there were rats IN the actual venue running around. Save yourself the headache and do NOT get married here. Baltimore has several other gorgeous venues to offer, check those out.

A gorgeous place to be married

Reviewed on 10/09/2014

My son and new daughter-in-law were just married here. The physical venue is so spectacular, reflecting Baltimore history and it has a view of the harbor area from the 4th floor Ballroom. I was impressed with the personnel and their professional ability to take charge of our... Read More large wedding party. It was a stress-free day. We used a total of three separate floors and all movement of bridal party and guests (150) was smoothly handled. I would highly recommend the venue and those who work here.

Gorgeous venue and great service

Reviewed on 10/20/2013 Marquita H

The venue was just perfect for our wedding. We had our ceremony in the upper courtyard, a receiving line in the lower courtyard, and the reception in the 4th floor ballroom. Everything was beautiful and the staff was wonderful. I don't know how we would have gotten through... Read More our big day without Stasia. We did not have a wedding planner and she made sure everything ran smoothly.

What a beautiful place to have a wedding

Reviewed on 10/02/2013 Yvette S

I can't say enough about this place. I held my wedding ceremony here as an outdoor ceremony in the courtyard and my reception on the City Lites floor. The staff here heaven sent. Stasia and Diana were there for me every step of the way from the first day I came to see the... Read More venue til the last minute of the wedding. There is none like them. The place is full of fun and color and offers a different variety of style and elegance. The outside decor offers a beautiful garden . If you some to this venue you will immediately fall in love with it.

Perfect location for our unique wedding!

Reviewed on 9/18/2013 Robbie H

We fell in love with the 1840's Plaza the moment we walked in! We figured out our wedding size, and have a few options of venue that could hold a wedding our size, and as it happened, 1840's was the first place we looked at on a day of touring venues. Once we got to the City... Read More Lites level, we were totally sold. We wanted something a little more unique that a big rectangular ballroom, and this venue was perfect for our needs. At that point all of the other venues we toured, though lovely, just couldn't compare. All aspects of planning were a breeze with Stasia and Dianna, and when possible, the team was totally flexible! As it turned out, we had our ceremony in the courtyard, cocktail hour in the Cabaret, and reception in the City Lites. We had a cocktail reception, so we didn't have to worry about seating for everyone, so City Lites was the perfect fit for the reception of our dreams. We didn't have any significant problems to speak of, and we're happy to sing the praises of a fabulous venue!

Looked but did plug

Reviewed on 9/17/2013 Jackie R

We did check this venue out and it was a little pricey but beautiful!

beautiful place

Reviewed on 9/12/2013 Myisha C

The place was very beautiful and i loved the service. they were very nice and welcoming and knowledgeable about every aspect of the venue. When i asked a question they had a answer and the only reason i did not choose this place was because i wanted a beach type of wedding. if i... Read More every have a party or another event they are at the top of my list!

Beautiful garden space right downtown!

Reviewed on 7/24/2013 Courtney S

1840s was the perfect spot for my wedding! I was looking to get married outside in a garden setting (which they have) but still be close to city amenities since we had lots of out of town guests. The 1840s is perfectly located downtown but is quietly secluded away from the busy... Read More city. Stasia and everyone else at the 1840s were amazing and helped make this day perfect. Everything about the venue was beautiful including the outdoor gardens and the 4th floor ballroom (where we had the reception).

Loved City Lites

Reviewed on 6/13/2013 Mary B

Great venue, loved everything about city lites. Dealing with Sasha was a delight!

Beautiful & Unique Venue

Reviewed on 5/20/2013 Sara M

The 1840s Plaza was the perfect venue for my wedding ceremony and reception. We held the ceremony in the upper courtyard and the reception in the City Lites venue on the 2nd floor of the Fava Building. It's such a beautiful and unique venue and The 1840s staff were wonderful to... Read More work with and very accommodating. I highly recommend this venue.

Great Venue!

Reviewed on 11/27/2012 Alyson S

We really enjoyed using the city lites room for our wedding ceremony and reception (cocktail hour was on first floor). The venue was unique! It was also very convenient to an affordable hotel (Fairfield Inn).

Best venue EVER

Reviewed on 10/30/2012 Katie W

The 1840s plaza was the perfect spot for our October wedding! The staff went above and beyond to cater to our every need and request! We had our ceremony in the courtyard and our reception in the 2nd floor city lites ballroom. Valet was included, which made it very convenient... Read More for our non city dwelling guests! I highly recommend this venue, as well as the suites at the Carrollton Inn (adjacent to the courtyard and venue). They are fantastic!

Pretty Awesome, with a big suggestion

Reviewed on 8/21/2012 Katie T

1840s did a magnificent job of taking care of the vendors the day of. They were very attentive to our needs as a couple, and made sure that the day went extremely smoothly. It really was and is such a wonderful event location!! For that, I am extremely grateful. However, it... Read More seems like this year in particular, the 1840s underwent some very significant changes to the their processes. Unfortunately, they did not relay those changes to us, which caused a bit of confusion on several different occasions. My suggestion would be that, for every bride who decides to have her wedding here, there should be a dedicated consultant who is responsible for giving the bride up-to-date, current information on changes as they occur.

nice but noisy

Reviewed on 6/12/2012 stacy m

we went to this venue when we were deciding where to hold our wedding and while the venue has a nice layout its in the city of baltimore and therefore noisy

AMAZING!!!

Reviewed on 4/30/2012 ashley n

this was the perfect place for our Baltimore wedding! the staff is very attentive and did a perfect job at making sure our night was perfect which it was! they work very well with the catering and other vendors that are brought in!

Whole staff was wonderful to work with!

Reviewed on 11/14/2011 Kara C

Stasia, Megan, and the whole 1840s staff were excellent to work with! They went out of their way to accomodate all of our requests and special needs.

wedding venue

Reviewed on 11/09/2011 Jenna D

We had our wedding in the 4th Floor Ballroom, and many of our guests stayed at the Carrolton Inn. The venue was beautiful and the staff was very accommodating, allowing us to deliver the alcohol early and setting up for our rehearsal the night before. The manager in charge... Read More walked us to the ceremony and back to our room. My only complaint is that it sometimes took several days or several attempts at contact to hear back from the manager if I had a question or request. That being said, when we had her attention, she was extremely helpful and made us top priority the weekend of the wedding. The rooms at the Carrolton Inn are beautiful, and that is where we stayed the night of our wedding. Overall, I had a wonderful experience and would definitely recommend them to a Baltimore bride.

Beautiful Setting!

Reviewed on 10/31/2011 Medora B

We had our cocktail hour in the first floor area and then the reception on the third floor. Both areas are gorgeous. The event manager was a little slow to respond to emails and calls, which was a bit frustrating during the planning process. Overall, we were happy with the site... Read More and our reception went off without a hitch.

Courtyard ceremony, cocktail hour, reception

Reviewed on 9/06/2011 Matthew M

All I have to say is this venue did it all for us. We used the courtyard for our ceremony, the upper courtyard for our cocktail hour, and the 4th floor ballroom for our reception. It was absolutely gorgeous, and the staff was amazing. Our guests could not get over how beautiful... Read More everything was. It is located in a great place near the inner harbor, and our guests had a wonderful time visiting the area. I highly recommend this venue if you are looking for an elegant location that can handle one fun party.

City Light's Room

Reviewed on 8/16/2011 Karen C

Our ceremony was held in the courtyard of the Carrollton Inn Bed and Breakfast and was beautiful. The weather was very hot though and although we had originally planned on having the cocktail hour in the plaza, the ballroom staff seamlessly reorganzied at the last minute so... Read More that we could have the cocktail hour inside. The reception was in the city lights room and we received so many compliments on the fun ambiance. Our goal was to have a traditional outside romantic ceremony, classy cocktail hour, and get the party started reception. The one drawback was that the neighborhood can be sort of sketch (one of our guests had her car broken into). We arranged for security for our guests and would recommend that others do the same. Great venue overall.

Meet The Events Director

Kelsey Spriggs

Kelsey Spriggs is the Events Manager at 1840s Corporation. She is a Baltimore native and is very passionate about her position at 1840s Plaza. She loves working with different couples and is ready to help you plan your dream wedding!