Ballroom Dance Chicago

Chicago, IL

Personalized Wedding Dance Lessons

We are experts at making you confident, impressive dancers. Our wedding specialists work with you to customize and polish the first dance you envision. Whether you are looking for basic steps or full choreography, the patient and encouraging instructors at BDC ensure you’ll enjoy learning together.

4039 B N Ravenswood Ave, Chicago, IL

lot of fun

Reviewed on 10/30/2012 Kasia N

Wanted a decent first dance with my wife and found this on Have a free 30 minute assessment so we gave it a try. We worked with the co-owner, Matt. He was a lot of fun and made the lessons enjoyable and set the pace to match our skill level. Very patient.... Read More Lessons usually started with a few glasses of wine to help me out. the other instructors seemed to have a great time too working with their students. He structured our wedding dance in line to how many lessons we were taking and by how fast we picked up new moves to get a dance prepared in time for our wedding. It went awesome! as of our last lesson they were getting ready to move literally across the wall from their current place to a much bigger location. We look forward to taking future dance lessons there. Only downside is dance lessons are not cheap but you are paying for an hour for you and your partner with a private instructor.

Dancing Crash Course!

Reviewed on 10/29/2012 Elizabeth C

My fiance and I arrived for our first dance lesson unprepared without a wedding song, minimal prior dance instruction, and only 8 weeks to go before our wedding. Szewai and the entire BDC team could not have been more helpful. Rather than having a rehearsed choreographed first... Read More dance, Szewai taught us some basic steps and transitions that could be used for a number of our songs. She was always patient and encouraging, but also not afraid to give accurate feedback to help us improve. As a result, we had a lot of confidence going into our first dance and received tons of compliments on it. In addition, the entire BDC team was always very welcoming and friendly when we arrived or left.

A Wedding Must!

Reviewed on 11/04/2011 Gina Z

We took lessons from Szewai (and a some from Matthew) to prepare for our wedding. I can’t say enough awesome things about this studio and the teachers. I could seriously write 2000 words about how much I love BDC if I had the time. Not only are the teachers great at teaching you... Read More how to dance, but they are fabulous people who I love seeing every week. My husband and I studied the rumba and smooth swing for 4 months prior to our wedding. The lessons were totally worth it, we looked AMAZING during our first dance… standing ovation amazing. Szewai not only taught us dance technique and lead & follow skills, but brought out a love of dance that both my husband I didn’t know we had. We’ve used our dance abilities for more than just our first dance, we now hit the dance floor at all social functions. We have continued lessons after our wedding and there are two reasons why: 1) The teachers are fantastic at teaching dance. We’ve learned so much and seen incredible progress in the last 9 months, neither of us thought it was possible to reach the point we are at today. We could not dance when we started lessons and we now hold our own on the dance floor. I never thought I would say I can dance the fox trot, smooth swing, single step swing, rumba and salsa! 2) The atmosphere in the studio also keeps us coming back. Wedding planning gets stressful! The atmosphere at BDC is laid back and fun. The lesson always started with a glass of wine and I quickly forgot whatever was bothering me once my husband and I started dancing. I found myself looking forward to class as a time to de-stress, spend quality time with my husband and socialize. Swewai and Matthew do a spectacular job of creating a fun vibe that keeps us coming back for lessons.

Reviewed on 11/05/2015 Brooke H

With only about a month to go until our wedding, our husband and I realized we were going to need some serious help with our first dance. After reading some online reviews, we called up Ballroom Dance Chicago and our dance crash course ended up being one of our favorite parts of... Read More the whole wedding process. Rachael made us feel comfortable and confident with some basic steps and an easy to learn routine. We looked forward to each lesson and felt nostalgic when the process was over. I'd recommend Ballroom Dance Chicago to any couple looking for a stress-free activity in the craze of wedding planning, whether you need an introduction to the basics or a full choreographed routine. I'm so glad we made this decision!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Kate G

This place is great! Rachael was a lot of fun and full of energy. She choreographed a dance that met our style and abilities (we could still make a splash without making a fool). Plus this place gives you JellyBellies and beers when you walk in the door. If your partner also... Read More responds well to Pavlovian rewards, well this is the place for you, my friend.

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Jenny F

BDC was professional, effective, and fun-- basically everything a dopey, inexperienced couple could want in a private dance company. Our instructor, Lydia, was phenomenal. She emailed us every week to remind us of upcoming lessons, and always included some personal details we'd... Read More discussed-- I never felt like we were just another couple running through the dance mill, but that each of the instructors really cared about getting to know us. Lydia helped us pick a song for our wedding and tailor it to our wedding's vibe and our physical ability-- at one point, a difficult lift move was hurting my leg, and she helped us rework the move into a more doable one. Despite my and my now-husband's infrequent practicing, Lydia still helped us learn and perform a dance that we were proud of and that impressed everyone at our wedding. Also, they have free beer and Jelly Bellies! Go there and be thrilled.

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Andrea G

While I humbly say all of our wedding was awesome, Ballroom Dance Chicago really created an *extra* awesome experience for my husband and I. We signed up for a package of lessons so that we could go twice a week for a few months to figure out how to do a choreographed number to... Read More our, ahem, unique first dance song. And it rocked! First, it was great fun and a good stress reliever to have the lessons, providing incredible bonding for my husband and I, and proving that we were indeed a good pair, even while stepping on each other's toes. Second, our dance at the reception was awesome. Full stop. Maybe that second point is the main one to some, and god knows everyone at Ballroom Dance Chicago can absolutely make that happen, but for us, the process was so much more important and Lydia and Rachael (and everyone else!) really made us feel welcome, confident, and excited to dance. We are so excited to continue taking lessons with them (yes, *after* our wedding- they are that great!) and taking advantage of their super fun dance events! Highly recommend!

Reviewed on 10/12/2015 Amanda D

Ballroom Dance Chicago is amazing! From the first trial lesson through the final practice, the Ballroom Dance Chicago team kept things fun and met us at our level. My husband understands dance direction through words, and I’m much more visual. Our incredible teacher Rachael... Read More adjusted to each of our styles. Importantly, she kept us focused on enjoying the experience together, instead of obsessing over getting every detail exactly right. Our dance lessons were by far the best (and most fun) part of the planning process, and the actual dance at our wedding was a blast. Of all of the investments we made in the wedding, this is one where we actually had a new skill at the end of the process! Dancing at other people’s weddings since we started lessons has become exponentially more fun! It’s important to mention that BDC holds wedding showcases once a month where you get to practice your dance in a supportive environment, in front of other couples who are also learning their first dances. This is an incredible opportunity to work out some of the nerves. I highly recommend taking advantage of this! They also have really fun seasonal dance parties and group outings. If you want, BDC can be an incredible community to be a part of! We have decided to continue on with lessons now that the wedding is over to keep learning more sweet moves. Incredibly professional, always fun, and never intimidating, the BDC team is the absolute best!

Reviewed on 10/10/2015 Craig M

My wife and I went with ballroom dance Chicago because of the reviews. We had 2 months left before the big day and a very complex dance that we wanted. Cathy helped us out big time! And Lydia helps us out some days as well. They prepared us completely before the big day and... Read More their schedules were very flexible. I would go with ballroom dance Chicago again and I tell all of my friends to go to them for a great first wedding dance. Thanks again guys! You all rock!!

Reviewed on 10/03/2015 Kristen S

Wow! Ballroom Dance Chicago (BDC) was one of the most enjoyable aspects of our wedding planning journey. My husband and I were married this past May (2015) here in Chicago. Being transplants we planned our entire wedding on our own. Wedding planning can be stressful and... Read More without a doubt going to our weekly dance lesson at BDC offered us such a special time to unwind, to laugh, to learn something new together, and to reconnect. Neither of us had taken a ballroom dance lesson before and we were honestly nervous about how embarrassing it may feel. Our worries were completely unwarranted. The staff at BDC creates such a warm, welcoming, and exciting environment. Our instructor, Rachael, was funny, receptive to our feedback, and SUCH a good teacher. We went from never having danced together before to having a fully choreographed dance (with a lift) in just 15 lessons!! If you have any interest in learning a dance for your wedding – with experience or without it – Ballroom Dance Chicago is the place to go!!

Reviewed on 10/01/2015 Brian S

My wife and I have had a fantastic experience with Ballroom Dance Chicago. We began taking lessons with Rachael in the fall of 2014 for our wedding which just happened in June. I was not super excited to take dance lessons when my then-fiancé proposed the idea, however,... Read More Ballroom Dance Chicago made the environment and experience as enjoyable as possible. The entire team at BDC is incredibly friendly, funny, and outgoing. Rachael is an excellent teacher who knows how to demonstrate and teach the most novice of dancers (i.e. me) in a way that really enables learning. She is also a good judge of how to push her students to become better, whether that means executing moves that have already been learned more crisply or moving on to more advanced and difficult moves. She is able to do this while cracking jokes and making you laugh the whole time. Matthew and his team have also made the facility a warm, and welcoming environment. The studio is very nicely renovated and appointed, there is an entire wall of cards and photos from others who have come before you in learning to dance for their weddings from BDC (and they're all glowing in their praise), and the rotating draft selection on the kegerator is always new and impressive and sometimes just the pick me up you need when headed right to dance class after a long workday (there's wine too!). Most of all, BDC provided an environment that allowed my wife and I to spend a full hour on a weeknight every week just focusing on each other, which can be difficult when you're both working all week.

Reviewed on 9/30/2015 Caitlin P

Our lessons dancing with Cathy were so much fun. She helped us choreograph an amazing first dance for our wedding. We looked forward to our weekly lessons, and in the end, they paid off! Our first dance went off perfectly, and we totally wowed all of our guests. I HIGHLY... Read More recommend using BDC to prepare for your first dance!

Reviewed on 9/29/2015

Our dance lessons with Cathy were one of the very best things about planning our wedding. I never thought my husband would enjoy dance lessons, but he looked forward to them just as much as I did! Cathy was so upbeat and friendly, and really met us where we were (which was... Read More completely unskilled). We left feeling confident about dancing in front of a group and having learned how to swing and do the fox trot! I will never forget how much FUN we had dancing at our wedding. So many people came up to us afterward and in the weeks after the wedding to compliment us on the dance and to give us the biggest compliment of all - to tell us how happy we looked dancing together. We really were just over the moon excited to dance together on our wedding night - and was one of the moments I was most dreading! A testament to how much we loved Ballroom Dance Chicago is that we still move the furniture out of the way to dance together and "practice" our dance on the occasional Sunday night :). We're definitely going to be returning to Cathy sometime soon and want her to know that we've still got the moves! I really can't say enough wonderful things about Ballroom Dance Chicago. Everyone on staff was welcoming, friendly, and put us at ease. And of course, I can't forget to mention that every dance lesson, we were offered water, wine or craft beer and limitless jelly beans! Perfect end to those the occasional stress of days spent wedding planning. Don't hesitate! One of the best wedding decisions we made!

Four My Left Feet

Reviewed on 9/02/2015 Melissa R

We are not good dancers and very self conscious on the dance floor. We wanted lessons to make us more comfortable and have some moves to work with. We worked with Lydia! We learned a dance with some repetitive moves, but it was not choreographed. I think we danced great at our... Read More wedding and had fun doing it!

Such a great place to learn how to dance

Reviewed on 2/11/2015 Sarah H

Can't say enough good things about BDC. In about six weeks, Lydia was able to help my husband and I create a first dance that was both memorable and fun despite the fact I have absolutely no sense of rhythm. She is a wonderful teacher, patient and funny, making us laugh all... Read More the time and making sure we were comfortable with each part before moving on to the next thing. We've decided to continue our lessons because we enjoy them so much and they are a guaranteed date night each week. Everyone at BDC is warm and welcoming, making it a great place to spend at least an hour a week.

Great Lessons!

Reviewed on 11/10/2014

My fiance and I had a wonderful experience at BDC! We worked with Lydia and loved her! She is super sweet and we had a blast working with her. We were always laughing and having a great time throughout our lesson. Taking breaks in between turns to sip on complimentary wine :)... Read More BDC has incredible customer service and they personalize your entire experience. They send reminder emails about each dance lesson that are personal not just a computer generated email. The week of our wedding we got two emails wishing us good luck on our dance. After our wedding, we also received a few congratulatory email as well as a hand written note from Lydia. BDC also offers free showcases for you to go and practice with your partner pre-wedding or just for fun. The space is also a beautiful loft space that was very cozy. We couldn't have asked for a better dancing experience. We plan to keep coming back now that our wedding is over to see Lydia because we had so much fun!

From Broken Toenails to Twinkle Toes

Reviewed on 10/28/2014 Cheryl H

The entire team at the studio makes you feel relaxed and welcome from the first time you walk through the door. Cathy has been an **amazing** instructor, taking the time to get to know us and find what teaching method works best for us. We took lessons for our wedding, and... Read More really appreciated the effort/attention given to the individualized lessons. We feel so much more comfortable and learned a lot within a short time. Highly recommend the studio - ask for Cathy!

Wedding Savior!

Reviewed on 10/15/2014 Brittany S

My husband and I strolled into BDC a few short months before our wedding and were hoping we could pull something together that didn't consist of dancing in a circle. We both enjoy dancing, but neither of us had any significant training. Matthew took us under his wing and used... Read More our 10 week time span to create wedding dance we never imagined. My husband and I soon found ourselves practicing EVERY night (with a lot of fighting about who was right about the dance routine) because we didn't want to embarrass ourselves at our wedding, but mostly because we didn't want to embarrass ourselves in front of Matthew. He put so much thought and effort into our dance and gave us some wonderful wow factors. We never thought we would have several lifts in our dance...We still have friends who come up to us to tell us how wonderful and touching our wedding dance was. Thanks to BDC, we felt very prepared going into the wedding dance on the day of. BDC offered a lot of opportunities for us to practice in front of other dancers taking classes. When it came time to dance in front of our wedding guests, it wasn't quite so overwhelming. My husband and I will never forget our wedding for many reasons, but now our wedding song has so much more meaning and memories attached to it. We can't thank BDC enough for making our special day even more amazing and for making the wedding planning process more bearable knowing we could relax and have fun during our weekly dance lessons! We LOVE Matthew and all of the other amazing dance instructors!

The best experience ever!!!

Reviewed on 10/14/2014

I took lessons with Mathew, twice a week! We had an amazing time because staff in a studio is great, very professional and helpful! I couldn't ask for a better team to get us ready for our first dance! It came out to be so beautiful and what I heard fun to watch. Ballroom Dance... Read More Chicago is the best studio to go to if you want to make sure that everyone on your wedding will be impressed by your first dance!!! I love all the staff and that's why we are continuing taking lessons even after our wedding!!! It's just soooo much fun!!!!

Favorite Part of Wedding Planning!

Reviewed on 10/14/2014 Emily M

My husband and I knew that if left to our own devices, our first dance at our 300 person plus wedding would look like a middle school dance gone wrong, so we signed up for weekly lessons at Ballroom Dance Chicago. We took classes for about four months prior to the wedding, which... Read More turned out to be more than enough time for them to whip us into shape. Our instructor Rachael taught us swing and foxtrot basics so that in general we looked like adults when dancing, and also helped us choreograph an amazing dance to our song "Be My Baby," complete with dips, fancy spins, and footwork. Thanks to Ballroom Dance Chicago, we killed it at our wedding. We got a standing ovation with people cheering. My mom said that after seeing us dance, everyone wanted to get up on the dance floor immediately after dinner so that they could be like us. I was also even able to keep up reasonably well when the old Italian men in the family and young Cuban cousins from Miami wanted to dance with me later on on the dance floor. In addition to having a great payout at the the actual wedding, this was by far the funnest part of the planning process for us. It was really relaxing and a nice break from arguing about linen colors and dahlias versus peonies in the rest of the planning process. Rachael is super cool, funny, and authentic, so we really enjoyed the actual dance classes as well. I would definitely recommend investing in dancing classes as part of the wedding process - it's one of the few things you'll take with you after the day is over. And I would definitely recommend Ballroom Dance Chicago to help get you ready to kill it on the dance floor at your own wedding!

The most fun ever

Reviewed on 9/30/2014 Sherry M

From our very first lesson we fell in love with Matthew. He made us feel comfortable and relieved (my) shyness at not being a very good dancer. He helped us choreograph a special number and I know we will have a blast performing it for our family/friends. We so looked forward... Read More to our weekly lessons. The studio is gorgeous and the other dance instructors are so very sweet and friendly. I hope that in the future we have special date nights and splurge with a lesson and dinner.

Dancing Made Easy!

Reviewed on 9/26/2014

Ballroom Dance Chicago has a beautiful studio with an amazing staff. For years I had wanted to take dance lessons so I would be encouraged to step out on the dance floor without the fear of looking (or feeling) awkward. Fortunately, my fiancee had some previous experience with... Read More ballroom dancing and was excited at the opportunity to locate a dance studio. Our initial consultation at BDC was with Matthew. Although excited at the idea of finally learning more structured dance, it also had me a little nervous. Surprisingly, all those nerves faded away once we finished the initial information segment of the consultation and started dancing. Although initially somewhat apprehensive, once I saw Matthew demonstrate some basic moves with my fiancee I realized the potential. Unlike being intimidated by watching two professionals dancing, I was able to watch my fiancee move around the floor and picture how the two of us could look. For starters, Matthew's approach to dancing focuses more on functional/practical dancing. By this I mean the practical application of different dances. This made a lot of sense, considering most times while dancing you have limited floor space to use. Although you are taught how to dance on a large, open floor, you also learn how to modify those moves to work on a more crowded dance floor. Another great feature of BDC are their dance events. These events provide additional group lessons, allow you to practice dancing on a more crowded dance floor and provide a great opportunity to mingle with other students. I've been extremely thankful for these events as they've helped me build confidence in my ability. Although Matthew has been our instructor from the beginning, we've had the opportunity to interact with the other instructors at BDC during our lessons and also during the dance events. It's very apparent that BDC is like a big family that loves to dance. The very friendly and helpful staff also creates a great energy in the dance studio. When we started taking lessons we weren't sure what direction we wanted to take with our first dance so we decided to try different dances to determine our best options. Of course the more we learned, the more we wanted to learn. What began as a decision to work on a dance for our wedding has grown into our ability to dance to various types of music with a decent selection of moves. BDC has been amazing place to learn how to dance - relaxed environment, friendly and professional staff, large, bright and open studio space. The best part, as my fiancee can attest to, is my willingness to actually go out on the dance floor now.

The Absolute Best

Reviewed on 9/14/2014 Kelli D

Whether you have dance experience or not, CBD is the absolute best place to be when it comes to preparing for your wedding dance! Every person on staff is warm, friendly, welcoming, and most importantly, talented. It's beyond clear that each instructor invests time and... Read More energy getting to know you as a couple so that the choreograph fits the your personalities and style. Lessons go by fast because of how fun they make it. We had such a wonderful experience working with them that we continue to spend time at the studio learning dances.

Personalized Dance Lessons - Highly recommended

Reviewed on 9/14/2014 Chrissy S

First of all, I think doing dance lessons to prepare for your wedding is essential. We had so much fun including a weekly lesson in the preparation and now we have a new activity to do together at every wedding and event that we will go to in the future. It is a romantic break... Read More from the potential stress of wedding planning and regular life. Second, if you do dance lessons in the Chicago area, you should definitely use Ballroom Dance Chicago. We bought 20 lessons and it was worth every penny. Lessons are personalized and one-on-one. The instructors are personable, fun and professional. We used Lydia for all but one of our lessons, but you can tell that the other instructors are just as friendly, energetic, and patient. I don't think we would have had the same experience at another studio. Third, we nailed our first dance! You should know, we were very inexperienced at first. At my cousin's wedding (two weeks before ours) we were complimented on our dancing. At our wedding, we had so many cheers it was magical. We were confident and not nervous. It made it so much fun. I can't recommend the studio more highly, it was one of the best experiences of our wedding.

Top-notch lessons & instructors!

Reviewed on 9/12/2014 Amanda M

My husband and I used Ballroom Dance Chicago to learn the basics for our wedding. Our instructor, Cathy, was a gem! She helped us narrow down our song, taught us various styles of dancing, and never ridiculed us for not having practiced. Every lesson was filled with laughter and... Read More encouragement – which is what we really needed. Not only did we have a lot of fun dancing every week, the studio is extremely inviting and everyone there is beyond friendly. Even though our wedding has past, we're contemplating going back just for fun!