Personalized Wedding Dance Lessons

Maybe you want a fully choreographed dance. Maybe you just want to take your sway to the next level. Or maybe you have no clue what you want! Regardless, we’re excited to help you prepare for your wedding and make sure you have fun in the process. Get started by messaging us to begin a conversation about your first dance and schedule your first lesson.

Classical, Country, Dance, Disco, Folk, Hip-Hop, Jazz, Pop, R&B, Rock, Latin, World Music

4039 B N Ravenswood Ave, Chicago, IL (312) 504-5866

Reviewed on 10/27/2015 Kinsley E

You know you've got a great dance instructor when she crashes your wedding in a cat costume ... that did not actually happen, but it was a long-running joke at our lessons with instructor Rachael Fromkin. And you really do know you've got a great dance instructor when you... Read More invite her to your wedding! (That did actually happen.) We had so much fun with Rachael her at our lessons that we invited her and her beau, Colin, to our wedding, and they were lovely guests. We genuinely loved dancing with Rachael. She is, of course, an excellent dancer herself, but also a great teacher - thorough and extremely patient with our clod-hopping tendencies. And she's just plain fun to hang out with - gracious, warm, and hilarious (see "cat costume" reference above). We were new to ballroom dancing and my husband had some qualms about "this whole dance thing" (he already had one signature dance move which he felt should have been entertainment enough for our guests), but Rachael won him over in a single lesson. We learned a ton and had a blast doing it. Rachael also has amazing choreography skills - she helped us pick a first-dance song and then customized choreography for us - we wound up doing a combination of Fox Trot and Swing, with a lot of fun spins and even a few lifts. She built the dance to suit the song, our personalities, and our skill level - and she refined and tweaked it for us as we progressed. For the record, our skill level is somewhere near zero, but she made us feel like 10's! At the wedding, our photographer made a point of telling me that she thought it was one of the best wedding dances she had seen. While that was extremely gratifying for us to hear, I think it really speaks to Rachael's creative choreography skills, which gave us a fun and elegant first dance and tailored to us in a way that didn't make fools out of us in the process. We highly recommend BDC for your wedding dance lessons! They make the process of learning fun - it's low-key and low-pressure while still being very effective. They offer a convenient variety of packages and pricing options. They have multiple locations - we worked with Rachael at the Ravenswood location. It's a lovely studio - a big open space with hardwood floors and funky art. There were never more than two other couples present during our lesson (each working with a different instructor), so we never felt crowded. The staff are all very welcoming and friendly - they spend time chatting with students and seem genuinely interested in getting to know a little something about you beyond the steps you want to learn. They are also very liberal with the complimentary wine, beer, water, and - most importantly - the jelly beans. Another perk is that they host occasional parties for their students that include free group lessons and the chance to try out your new-found moves in front of other people before the wedding (we weren't able to take advantage of this ourselves, but I think it's a brilliant idea - especially if you're at all nervous about dancing in front of others). You know you've got a great dance instructor when you immediately sign up for more lessons right after your wedding. We're now dancing with Rachael again - learning the Salsa and Samba for some upcoming trips we'll be taking. We're having just as much fun as before! Although we haven't seen that cat costume yet ...

Reviewed on 5/30/2016 Stephanie E

There is a reason Ballroom Dance Chicago has such high reviews from so many couples. As many previous reviews mentioned, the space is very inviting and the instructors are awesome. We were fortunate enough to work with Cathy to learn steps for our 1st dance at our wedding.... Read More We hardly knew anything about dancing but Cathy made each session so much fun for us and her patience is incredible. We would leave each session with huge smiles on our faces and with new moves to practice. We looked forward to each and every lesson (about 10 total). Our 1st dance was amazing and such a crowd-pleaser, thanks to Cathy. It was such a great experience at Ballroom Dance Chicago and we are already discussing when we should take our next lesson!

Reviewed on 4/21/2016 Emily H

My husband and I had THE. BEST. TIME. taking dance lessons at Ballroom Dance Chicago. Our main goal was to learn a first dance for our wedding, but we ended up scheduling several more sessions - we always found our time in the studio to be special and different from our normal... Read More routine of life. The staff is fantastic! We worked with Lydia, but every other instructor made a point to get to know us and make us feel special. Lydia was a total blast; our lessons felt easy and light- we laughed a ton with her! The night of our wedding, we were so nervous for the dance, but we nailed it. Both my husband and I agreed that having friends and family cheering us on around the dance floor while we danced something that we had been practicing for so long was a true highlight of the night and a moment we'll always treasure.

Reviewed on 10/18/2017 Kimm T

Ballroom Dance Chicago was exactly what we needed to be prepared for our first dance! I went into the whole experience with some anxiety, and my husband went in with dance experience, but also expecting perfection of himself. After a few lessons with Lydia, we felt much more... Read More at ease. While our dance itself wasn't "perfect" as far as technical elements go, it was perfect for us. It was a moment we enjoyed, and will remember forever, I know without our lessons it would have been a stressful moment. We just got our pictures back and our expressions reflect that. Nothing but smiles and laughter (and I'm looking into my husband's eyes instead of at my feet). As a point of comparison, I took a lesson with my dad to prepare for our dance as well (in another city, completely separately) and it wasn't nearly as comfortable or fun as dancing with Lydia.

Reviewed on 10/15/2017 Stephanie G

Thank you Lydia for helping us create a memorable wedding first dance! My husband actually had the idea of taking a few dance lessons so that we would both feel more comfortable and would have "moves" to show at our wedding. We actually enjoyed taking the lessons and it ended up... Read More being a nice date night and time for us to spend together during the craziness of wedding planning. Lydia was very kind and easy to work with and she put together a great dance for us! We enjoyed working with her and are so glad for the experience!

Reviewed on 10/11/2017 Alexis F

We would like to thank everyone at Ballroom Dance Chicago for the amazing experience that we had learning to dance for our up coming wedding. Special thanks to Matthew for running an incredible business and creating an environment where we felt welcomed every time we walked... Read More through the door. Most sincere thanks to the most awesome instructor, John. John was a pleasure to work with and his teaching style was perfect for us. His skills as an instructor are exemplary but he also created an atmosphere that was so much fun! We looked forward to our dance lesson every week. Because of John, we are very confident about our first dance as a married couple. We would strongly recommend Ballroom Dance Chicago to anyone looking to learn or enhance their skills in dancing. We couldn’t have wished for a better place to prepare us to dance on our wedding day.

Reviewed on 9/19/2017 Stephanie S

Although my groom-to-be was a pretty good dancer already, I hate dancing and was so nervous for our wedding. We started taking dance lessons a few months before our wedding, and every week for 10 weeks, Matthew greeted us with patience and a smile. Plus, he even gave us drinks... Read More to calm our nerves before class! He pushed us just the right amount, and we were able to do just enough to get our first dance down with the right timing to our first dance song. It ended up being such a fun thing for us to do as part of the planning process. Everyone was really impressed, and we felt so accomplished! Meeting times were really flexible so we could go consistently and at either location.

Reviewed on 9/17/2017 Karen A

My husband and I really enjoyed Ballroom Dance Chicago. They taught us at our skill level and made sure we were ready for the big day. The icing on the cake was the extra group class that comes with a private lesson and the wine and beer. But more than that, we were actually... Read More considering not doing a first dance before we signed up for the lesson. Being in the spotlight was a lot of pressure. BDC gave us the confidence and skills we needed to do the first dance successfully and to make it a meaningful, intimate part of an otherwise hectic day. We're even considering taking a few group classes because BDC is so much fun.

Reviewed on 7/24/2017 Valerie D

We worked with Lydia on our first dance for our wedding and could not be more impressed!! Lydia (and everyone at BDC) made dancing each week so much fun and the final product was absolutely perfect! I cannot recommend BDC enough!!

Reviewed on 1/16/2017 Eric P

Cathy is the absolute best. I am not what I would call naturally graceful, and she made our first dance at our wedding incredible! She helped us work through song choices, she completely choreographed our dance and had us looking like pros on the dance floor. Cathy got to know... Read More us individually and built us a routine that just worked. I'm significantly taller than my wife and I really feel like Cathy turned that fact into an asset with our dancing, taking advantage of the height differential rather then letting it be a limiting factor. The local beer and wine during practices was pretty cool too :p Thanks for everything Cathy and team!

Reviewed on 1/15/2017 Kristi A

A first dance was not even something that was being entertained as a possibility for the first 9 months of our engagement - I am FAR from being a natural on the dance floor, and had actually made it my personal mission to avoid the dance floor at every wedding/bar/club/gala/you... Read More name it I'd ever attended. That said, the thought of changing that, much less doing so with 100+ sets of eyes looking at us, actually made me sick to think about. My now wife had finally accepted that a first dance wasn't going to happen but I knew how much it meant to her so started looking around and ended up surprising her with a package of private lessons from Ball Room Dance Chicago. In retrospect, doing so was one of the best decisions I've ever made. We started out with a package of 5 lessons, but enjoyed them so much and found them to be so helpful that we ended up buying 5 more lessons after that. With all of the other expenses involved in a Chicago wedding, I was initially reluctant about cost - but it absolutely ended up being worth it in the end. We worked directly with Lydia who was truly AWESOME. I'm still not sure how she did it, but she (along with the entire BDC team) managed to make us feel totally comfortable from day 1. She was extremely patient, took the time to understand our personalities, and listened to what we wanted (and didn't want), even when we weren't exactly sure what that was. She's very knowledgeable, and had an exceptional ability to articulate things in a way that made sense to both my wife and me, despite the fact that we learn very differently. She also has a great sense of humor, which we really enjoyed and appreciated, especially in the heat of the wedding planning process. I could keep going, but will just sum it up by saying that Lydia and the BDC team are amazing..I'd even go as far as calling them miracle workers. We ended up with a beautiful first-dance, choreographed to Missy Higgin's 'The Way You Are Tonight", with multiple spins, and a dip at the end to boot! In the end, Lydia and the entire Ballroom Dance Chicago team took something that I literally dreaded going in, and turned it into our favorite part of the wedding prep process. They made the seemingly impossible, possible, and gave us memories that we will cherish forever. We are so grateful to have worked with and highly recommend Ballroom Dance Chicago! -Kristi & Jaclyn

Reviewed on 11/17/2016 Sarah C

My husband and I had 5 lessons with Lydia to prepare our first dance to "What is Life." Combined we have a grand total of...zero dance experience. Lydia worked with us when we forgot the moves every time, she was patient and encouraging and creative. On the big day our friends... Read More and family were so impressed and we had a blast showing off our moves. Thanks Lydia!

Reviewed on 10/30/2016 Margaret F

We're indebted to Lydia and the group at Ballroom Dance Chicago for both proficiency and good times at our wedding. Taking lessons was a great break from the more humdrum tasks leading up to the event, and Lydia made learning really fun! We were able to choreograph our first... Read More dance, learn some extra fun things for generally showing off at the wedding (and elsewhere), and get tips on how to make everything look more fluid and natural. It was a highly personalized experience, and well worth the cost -- we got a lot of comments about how "professional" we looked doing our first dance. (A favorite comment: "You actually knew what you were doing!" Most people don't know how to dance "real" steps nowadays, and it's fun to be "a cut above." ) We went to a wedding showcase and some group classes during the course of our wedding training -- both were fun and worthwhile. We'll be back for some group classes in future! Highly recommended.

Reviewed on 10/25/2016 Danielle D

Ballroom Dance Chicago was the best investment we made for our wedding. Not only were we able to stun our guests with our timeless foxtrot, but we found a fun, stress-relieving activity that we could enjoy together even in the midst of hectic wedding planning. My husband and I... Read More are lucky enough to work with Lydia (who is absolutely awesome), but have found the same kind and welcoming personality in all of the instructors. You cannot walk into BDC without one of the instructors rushing up to welcome you, ask how you day has been and offer you a snack or beverage. Our wedding was over 6 months ago, but we have continued dancing with Lydia each week as we work to master the Waltz and Salsa. I would recommend BDC to anyone getting married, but also anyone who is looking for a fun new activity to share with their partner or friends.

Reviewed on 10/14/2016 Jill D

Ballroom Dance Chicago is amazing, especially Cathy! My fiance are not at all dancers, and we wanted to feel more comfortable during our first dance, so I made an appointment for an introductory consultation after seeing all the rave reviews online. We met Cathy, and she made us... Read More feel comfortable from the moment she said hello. We talked a bit about ourselves and our vision for our first dance, and she showed us some basic moves. We were sold after that, and ended up taking 10 more lessons with her, each one was being better than the last. She was so patient with us, choreographing a dance that matched our song perfectly, literally leading us every step of the way through, and making us feel confident. She even took videos and posted them on a private blog so we could see our progress. Our dance really turned out to be a highlight at our wedding - something we never would have thought possible before our lessons! We had so many guests come up to us at the wedding after it was done complimenting us! I couldn’t recommend it more. Cathy even followed up with us after our wedding asking how we did. We were genuinely sad when our last lesson was over, and have been looking for an excuse to get in there and dance ever since. We miss Cathy! She’s the best!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Lacey S

So many decisions to make when planning for a wedding - and taking dance lessons with Lydia at Ballroom Dance Chicago was one of the best! When planning for our big day, my husband and I both agreed that we were most nervous about having the spotlight on us for our first dance... Read More so after doing some research, we went in for a consultation - when we arrived, we knew very little about dance and had to practice walking together just to find our rhythm! With a great sense of humor, enormous patience and excellent communication skills, Lydia won us over and helped us dance beautifully at our wedding. With all the chaos and excitement of planning a wedding, we looked forward to our "date nights" at Ballroom Dance Chicago and would highly recommend them to other couples! Many thanks to Lydia and Ballroom Dance Chicago.

Reviewed on 9/18/2016 Breonna S

We had an absolutely great experience at Ballroom Dance Chicago. Lydia made us very comfortable and helped us work out our first dance. We knew we wanted a special first dance that would impress our guests and she definitely delivered. The dance was beautiful and she made it so... Read More simple to learn...even for my rhythmically challenged husband! We would definitely recommend using them for any special dance you have coming up.

Reviewed on 9/17/2016 Kristine S

"Over and Over Again" was the song we danced to for the first time as husband and wife, and thanks to Cathy at Ballroom Dance Chicago, it was one of our favorite memories from our wedding day. Cathy was amazing with the choreography; it was elegant and romantic. She made... Read More learning to dance so much fun and we looked forward to our weekly dance date night. Cathy was incredibly patient and helped break down each step so my husband with two left feet (self admitted) could learn the sequence. Cathy always made us feel special and at home - greeting us each time with a hug. Dancing started for us because of our wedding, but we could dance "over and over again" thanks to such a great experience. We plan to start back up again this fall - salsa may be next for us. Thank you Cathy and Ballroom Dance Chicago.

Reviewed on 8/28/2016 Kristin B

My favorite part of wedding planning was dance lessons. My now husband and I were lucky enough to work with Lydia on our first dance and she is amazing. Not only does she know what she is doing on the dance floor, she is a phenomenal teacher and a great person. Our time at... Read More the dance studio always involves laughter, some hard work, and a lot of fun. We got more compliments on our first dance than we could have dreamed, and are currently continuing dance lessons with Lydia every two weeks just because it is so much fun!

Reviewed on 8/12/2016 Colleen R

My husband and I knew we wanted to impress our guests with our first dance, simply by not falling on our faces which lead us to pursue dance lessons at Ballroom Dance Chicago. Slowly, we went from just wanting to learn the basics, to a full out choreographed dance! Rachael was... Read More our instructor and she was amazing! The hour lesson went by incredibly fast each week because we were having so much fun. She had the perfect balance of listening to us about what we envisioned our dance being, and pushing us to try more advanced moves to make the dance even more special. Everyone is so nice at BDC; you're greeted with a smile and a friendly hello- as well as an offer for some beer, wine and snacks! The atmosphere is light and fun which is encouraging when you've never danced before! Our guests were so impressed with the dance and for both my husband and I, it was one of the highlights of our wedding day. I would recommend BDC to anyone looking to spice up their wedding reception! Also, dance lessons were a really fun way for my husband and I to take a break from the day to day wedding craziness leading up to the big day and we were able to relax, laugh and enjoy ourselves!

Reviewed on 7/10/2016 Courtney B

We cannot say enough great things about Ballroom Dance Chicago. My wife and I were hesitant about creating a first dance for our wedding, but are so glad that we stopped in at BDC. Matthew and the team won us over from day one and our dance nights were by far the most enjoyable... Read More activity leading into the wedding. We worked with Matthew who partnered with us to create a dance unique to us that we both loved and which also stylistically matched our song choice. We went 2x per week for about 2-3 months and we're ready and prepared for wedding day. The atmosphere is really friendly, welcoming to all dance abilities (I have two left feet), and they even offer snacks (pretzels/jelly beans) and/or adult beverage to put the cherry on top. They offer wedding showcases to practice dancing in front of others (was really helpful) and always are planning/doing fun social events for their clients. Matthew even went above and beyond by suggesting a local wedding boutique to my wife when she was struggling to find her shoes and jewelry – which she then went to and found everything she needed! We loved it so much we have continued classes after the wedding! Highly recommended for any couples nervous about their first dance and are looking for amazing teachers in a low stress/fun place!

Reviewed on 7/08/2016 Elizabeth E

Our favorite part of the pre-wedding experience was by far our dance lessons at BDC. The owner, Matthew was a constant, encouraging and mind presence and our instructor, Racahel somehow made us feel constantly at ease and laughing. My husband never thought he'd actually like to... Read More dance (and be pretty good at it too!).

Reviewed on 4/21/2016

Ballroom Dance Chicago was such a great experience. We worked with Lydia on the first dance for our wedding, and over the course of five sessions she made us (mostly me) feel much more comfortable about everything. I loved that we were able to learn a lot of basic steps that we... Read More could even apply outside of the song we had practiced. We've even now been back for the Friday Night socials - each time we've come it's been a lot of fun.

Reviewed on 11/05/2015 Brooke H

With only about a month to go until our wedding, our husband and I realized we were going to need some serious help with our first dance. After reading some online reviews, we called up Ballroom Dance Chicago and our dance crash course ended up being one of our favorite parts of... Read More the whole wedding process. Rachael made us feel comfortable and confident with some basic steps and an easy to learn routine. We looked forward to each lesson and felt nostalgic when the process was over. I'd recommend Ballroom Dance Chicago to any couple looking for a stress-free activity in the craze of wedding planning, whether you need an introduction to the basics or a full choreographed routine. I'm so glad we made this decision!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Kate G

This place is great! Rachael was a lot of fun and full of energy. She choreographed a dance that met our style and abilities (we could still make a splash without making a fool). Plus this place gives you JellyBellies and beers when you walk in the door. If your partner also... Read More responds well to Pavlovian rewards, well this is the place for you, my friend.

Matthew

When he was a kid, Matthew's mother told him that dance has a power to communicate, beyond that of spoken and written languages, and he believed her. With pots boiling on the stove and music streaming from the under-the-counter radio, she’d sweep him onto the kitchen floor and teach him about the playfulness of partner dancing and the joy of moving with another person. Since those formative years, Matthew never stopped dancing and has formally studied ballroom, Latin and modern dance. Matthew is the founder of BDC and a Master Dance Instructor.