Bells & Whistles at the Flower Field

Kitty Hawk, NC

Inspired by Nature...Designed with Love...

Bells & Whistles at The Flower Field is a fresh flower boutique that specializes in creating a naturally organic flow in their designs. Their incredible vision, true artistry, and attention to detail will capture your personality, style and most importantly, your heart. Their passion is to lovingly cultivate their fields, nurture creativity and inspire beauty to all. Their unique designs incorporate a variety of color combinations, textures and flowers freshly harvested from their fields, locally and American grown and outsourced when needed. Their heart and soul connect with nature, creating garden-style designs that we will remember in our dreams. The Boutique offers full service floral design.

Aisle Decorations, Centerpieces, Flower Girl Baskets, Pedestals, Plants, Vases, Chuppah, Wedding Arch, Wedding Decoration Delivery, Wedding Decoration Setup, Decorations + Accents, Flower Crowns, Hair Accessories, Bouquet Wraps, Bouquets, Boutonnieres, Corsages, Flower Delivery + Setup, Flower Arrangements

500 Sand Dune Dr, Kitty Hawk, NC (252) 441-9310

Absolutely stunning flowers and decor!

Reviewed on 10/06/2014 Krista P

Dorothy and the entire Bells and Whistles team did an incredible job of making our venue absolutely stunning. We met a year before the wedding and talked about ideas for what kind of flowers and decor we were looking for. She had a ton of awesome ideas, and she instantly... Read More understood the type of event we wanted, and ran with it. When we had our final consultation six weeks out, we discussed the original design and both decided to go in a slightly different direction, and I couldn't be happier that we did. We had a family style dinner, and so we needed to consider downsizing the table decor to make space for the platters of food. She had lots of great ideas and after brainstorming, she came up with a perfect design plan. Our reception was at Jennette's Pier, and she did a great job of making that huge room feel a little smaller and more like home. We used some of her farm house tables, with a mix of round tables, and all of her mix matched rustic chairs, which really made the space feel rustic but classy. I'm so happy we did that. All of the little details her and her team incorporated really were the perfect mix of rustic and beachy with a touch of preppy complementing our navy and yellow colors. My bouquet was an absolutely stunning bright yellow mix of gorgeous blooms. I could go on and on, but overall I'm so happy I trusted her to do what she does best and make the space glow. Our guests are still raving, and I can't wait to see all the photos! Thanks Dorothy and the entire Bells and Whistles Team!

Incredible Flowers and Nautical Themed Decorations

Reviewed on 12/17/2014 Kirsten

Dorothy and her team at Bells and Whistles are miracle workers. Somehow they are able to turn a drab, blank room into a work of art. My husband and I got married at the Sanderling Inn in Duck, NC in mid October. We had the most gorgeous day you could imagine (75 sunny, not a... Read More cloud in the sky), but there was a hurricane off the coast. The swell was so high, we weren't able to have our wedding on the beach like we planned, but the back-up plan was even better. Dorothy's husband was able to put our driftwood arch in the dunes behind the observation deck, so we could get married overlooking the beach. It was picture perfect. What I loved most about Bells and Whistles was the organic flowers. I wanted a bouquet with in-season flowers, very organic with greens and whites. Dorothy brought my dream to life. She has her own flower field, so she was able to pick her own flowers and put together the exact vision I had. Our reception was nautical themed (my husband and I met while sailing). Bells and Whistles was able to create our nautical theme without being tacky. The decorations were subtle and gorgeous. Many of my friends and family asked if they could take home the centerpieces so they could use them again. In the end Dorothy was professional, artistic, and extremely friendly. She was able to work with us on a theme which would fit our budget and give us piece of mind during the whole crazy planning process. I would recommend Bells and Whistles to anyone getting married in the Outer Banks.

Amazing Flowers and Centerpieces!

Reviewed on 9/04/2014

Dorothy at Bells and Whistles did an amazing job for the flowers and décor at our wedding. I had some pictures in my head of the colors I wanted and what I wanted the centerpieces to look like. We discussed them during a phone consultation and I sent a few small Pinterest... Read More pictures – she created centerpieces and bouquets that exactly matched what I envisioned (but probably didn’t do the best job describing). The flowers were absolutely beautiful, and the tables looked amazing. I couldn’t have asked for anything better! Thanks Bells and Whistles!

Reviewed on 11/11/2017 Jacquelyn D

We absolutely LOVED working with Bells and Whistles for our September wedding! Joanna was so easy and fun to work with, and I had a blast planning out all the details with her for making our dream wedding come true. The greenery chandelier was stunning, and all the... Read More centerpieces were killer! My bridal bouquet was incredible, and exactly what I'd hoped for. I would highly recommend Bells and Whistles- we were so pleased with the way everything turned out!!!

Reviewed on 8/16/2017 Katherine Z

Bells and Whistles did a fantastic job installing Italian string lights over the dance floor at our August 5th wedding reception. The lighting was romantic and beautiful. And, it added that extra little "pop" to the overall decor. They were timely and efficient in both set up... Read More and take down, which helped my husband and I to stay stress free on the big day! Thank you Bells and Whistles!

Wedding

Reviewed on 8/18/2015 Sara B

Also was in charge of decor. Probably could have done it myself for a 3rd of the price.

2015-08-18T16:46:59 Response from the vendor

hi sara, thanks for taking the time to review us! we haven't heard from you since the wedding and are sad to hear of your displeasure on public forum instead of personally. we thrive on making our clients over the moon and are just as... Read Less Read More

Wedding day

Reviewed on 7/12/2015 Angela M

Bells and whistles provided me with bouquets for the wedding , they were absolutely stunning. They were exactly what I imagined. They also did the ceiling decor and I allowed them to use their skills and I couldn't of asked for more beautiful decor!

Reviewed on 5/31/2015 Katie M

Dorothy and her team are the absolute best! My husband and I were married at the Sanderling Resort in Duck, N.C.; the ceremony was on the event lawn and the reception in the pavilion. Choosing Dorothy and her team to create our dream wedding was a no-brainer - Dorothy is so... Read More talented and makes your wedding her priority. This may sound a bit hokey, but Bells and Whistles did not just decorate our space, they created an experience for our guests that matched exactly with our vision for the wedding - only better! The flowers for my bouquet were so fresh - because Dorothy picked them from her own garden! We had so many compliments on how beautiful, classic, and romantic the design was - I highly recommend Dorothy and her team to any bride getting married in the Outer Banks!

Reviewed on 5/03/2015 Amanda B

Dorothy did an amazing job for our wedding. She made our tent look amazing and did a great job with the flowers.

Flowers and SO Much More

Reviewed on 2/21/2015 CC W

Planning a destination wedding comes with a few challenges along the way, however, this was NOT the case when working with Dorothy and her ultra-creative team at Bells & Whistles at the Flower Field. From our very first phone consultation, she basically articulated my vision of... Read More the perfect wedding day (almost as if she was clairvoyant!) It’s important to note that although the "Flower Field" evokes images of bouquets and centerpieces (which were truly unique and absolutely stunning) this company also manages to exceed expectations with the "Bells & Whistles" aspect of design; essentially creating the theme/décor beginning with the outdoor ceremony and cocktail hour and culminating with an elegant reception; white lights, farm tables, hanging lanterns/branches, floating candles, plus a variety of props personally tailored and expressive towards my husband and I. From that initial phone call forward, I felt incredibly secure and optimistic that I was entrusting one of the most critical components of our wedding day to the right person. Again, this peace of mind is invaluable when planning a wedding from 400+ miles away. Dorothy was flexible, insightful and I cannot compliment her enough on her creativity. Quite simply, I am convinced that there is no better option than Bells & Whistles in the Outer Banks. Thank you, Dorothy!

Bells and Whistles

Reviewed on 10/10/2014 Becky P

Dorothy was great. She captured my style and worked with me on changes at the end.

Did not deliver...

Reviewed on 9/25/2014 Michael H

Sadly, the floral and event design services from Bells & Whistles at the Flower Field were very disappointing. Unreturned phone calls, week-long email response times, and an argumentative tone when we tried to rein in a proposal that nearly doubled our budget were among the many... Read More challenges we faced in the months leading up to our wedding. Working with owner Dorothy proved to be the most stressful part of our wedding planning process. Unfortunately, we also had several issues with the quality and safety of Bells & Whistle's work. 1) While the wedding bouquets were beautiful, they didn't match what we had requested - the main type of flowers that were supposed to make up the bouquets were simply not there. Our contract indicated that they reserved the right to adjust the bouquets based on flower availability. This would have made sense except for the fact that the missing flowers were plentiful in the arrangements at the reception. 2) The corsages for the mothers arrived wilted and one of them started to fall apart during the cocktail hour. 3) Several elements of the reception ceiling decor were poorly installed (taped with duck tape) and fell during the evening. This was particularly dangerous as the tables were filled with candles. 4) Many of the design elements of our wedding (e.g., altar decor, cocktail hour furniture arrangement) were not installed as described and sketched during the planning process. 5) Dorothy's team was still installing some of the cocktail hour decor as guests walked by on their way to the ceremony. 6) On the day of our wedding we were surprised that we never saw Dorothy. This didn't match the months of "the best part of my job is seeing the excitement on your face when you see the pavilion for the first time" that we had heard from her repeatedly for many months. Just before our final payment... when we only stood to lose $500 we discussed terminating our work with Dorothy and scrambling to work with another designer. To avoid craziness in the month before our big day, we decided not to do this. This was a mistake. We had a wonderful, joyous day celebrating with family and friends. EVERY other Outer Banks vendor exceeded our expectations which made working with Dorothy and Bells & Whistle's all the more difficult and disappointing.

2014-12-19T14:24:10 Response from the vendor

It has taken me a bit of time to gather my thoughts and feelings in order to respond to this review. As you see this review was the first I had heard of any of these feelings and opinions. Two days after their wedding we... Read Less Read More

Fantastic

Reviewed on 7/16/2014 Ariel A

They were wonderful. I just sent her pictures of things that I liked and she nailed it! I know very little about flowers, and she took care of it all.

Exceeded all my expectations!

Reviewed on 10/09/2013 Annie G

I have to say, I was a little nervous about the flowers and decorations going in to my wedding. Dorothy and I had had a number of conversations but she seemed so laid back that I wasn't sure how everything was going to shake out. But when I walked down the gazebo at my ceremony... Read More and saw the incredible driftwood arch and then in to the reception and saw the tent decor with hanging chandeliers and fabric and each table with its individualized, creative, gorgeous centerpieces, I realized what pros Dorothy and her team are. And the flowers! I asked Dorothy to use a lot of succulents and blues with a beach-y, natural vibe. I almost started crying when I saw my bouquet. Even better than what I had imagined despite me only giving Dorothy some vague direction! She really took my vision and ran with it. Could not have been happier with the outcome. My only negative is that it was difficult to stay in budget. I wish Dorothy had been a bit more upfront with costs when we were throwing around ideas. (She had suggested extra lighting and tent decorations that I only found out after our conversation would add $1000 extra dollars. I had to then cut back). In the end, though, I was thrilled with the results and felt the prices were generally fair.

Incredible experience

Reviewed on 7/15/2013 Christina P

We stumbled upon Bells and Whistles on a planning trip to the OBX and went in without an appt. Dorothy sat with us for an hour trying to help build a vision and design and we had not even hired her yet! Needless to say we did and were so happy with the result. She did funky... Read More centerpieces for our rehearsal dinner and gorgeous flowers and decor for the wedding ceremony and reception. We probably met with her 3-4 times more after the initial meeting to iron out all the details. She has a great vision and is able to see it through to the end.

AMAZING!! They Made Our Wedding!!

Reviewed on 7/08/2013 MaryEllis d

Oh my gosh, I cannot say enough about how wonderful they were!! Dorothy and her team took my random ideas and put them to life in a whole new way. Guests and myself were amazed at their decor, ideas, flowers, centerpieces, you name it! Some ideas didnt seem like what I would... Read More have thought, but putting my trust in her and going with her word was the best decision. Once we had our first convo, I knew to search no further. After just a few pictures and key words, she totally knew what we wanted and how to do it. From the guys flowers to the table centerpieces and the details on the boquets for the bridesmaids, she made flowers look more than picture perfect. Specialty linens were found and a chandelier hung, she truly made the night unforgettable!!

Beautiful Mixture

Reviewed on 6/17/2013 Kristin V

Bells & Whistles provided my bridal bouquet, the corsages and the boutonnieres. They were beautiful! I was very happy with the quality, service and giving me exactly what I asked for!

Wonderful OBX Event Designer

Reviewed on 6/11/2013 Sanaa A

Our experience with Dorothy was superb! After choosing out color scheme, and showing her a few photos of floral arrangements she started to put our vision together. We met twice prior to the wedding to go over details and add finishing touches. I was so excited to see the final... Read More results. When we walked into our reception it was beautiful. Couldn't have asked for more- Dorothy and her team were great and I would highly recommend them!

Michelle Smith

Reviewed on 5/28/2013 Michelle S

I changed what I wanted a couple of times during the course of the wedding planning. Dorothy was accommodating and supportive throughout. She is really a pleasure to work with. On the day of the wedding she couldn't be there, but her awesome team showed up. They put... Read More together the most amazing centerpieces of flowers, shells and candles. The centerpieces were soft and beautiful which is exactly what I wanted. The bouquets were extremely pretty and exceeded my expectations. Dorothy and her team helped make my dream a reality. My experience with Bells & Whistles was wonderful and I would recommend Dorothy and her team to any bride!

Perfect Flowers

Reviewed on 10/01/2012 Christine B

I ordered flowers from Bells & Whistles for DIY bouquets and reception decor. They were delivered in perfect condition and were absolutely lovely! I also hired them to install some lighting at the reception space, and it created to perfect romantic ambiance. Dorothy and... Read More her husband were helpful and professional! Thanks for everything!

DYI Flowers

Reviewed on 7/02/2012 Karin M

We used the flowers that they grew on OBX and the design studio to put together our centerpieces, which was amazing! It was great to have a local, low environmental impact option for flowers and I love the memories of working with my mother, MIL, and sisters in law to create the... Read More centerpieces for our wedding! Dorothy made the boutineer for the groom and it was 100% perfect! We had a few pictures of things we liked, and then gave her a few descriptors of what we were looking for and we had the most perfect flowers ever! She is definitely a creative mind and not a business major! I had to make sure I called and emailed and confirmed and reconfirmed as there were a few lapses in communication, but everything happened as discussed and promised!

Perfect

Reviewed on 5/30/2012 Christine S

This team was amazing to work with and my flowers came out perfect! Everything was exactly as I envisioned.

Wedding Photographer

Reviewed on 11/06/2011 megan d

Bells & Whistles was a wonderful team to work with. They helped me figure out my alter, center pieces, and bouquets. Everything looked amazing and beyond my expectations.

Perfect!

Reviewed on 10/11/2011 Heather M

Bells & Whistles did such a great job on the bouquets! When I seen them I was soo happy! I had no idea what they would actually look like. You took what I told you i liked and made the most perfect bouquets! Everyone loved them and your work is amazing!

No Refund!? At all!?!?

Reviewed on 10/09/2011 Melissa A

I contracted with Bells & Whistles for our ceremony and reception flowers. Everyone I spoke with before signing the contract was really sweet. Our contract included bouquets, corsages, bouts, two small arrangements for the church altar, & fourteen centerpieces of varying... Read More composition. As my local wedding planner had planned, I contracted with the florist fifteen days before the wedding as she had assured me that was standard for the outer banks. Upon signing the contract, I paid Bells & Whistles in full and therefore had not had a "deposit." Three days before the wedding the mandatory evacuation was announced because of Hurricane Irene and our wedding was cancelled. Our wedding planner contacted all our vendors on our behalf. A week later, I contacted Bells & Whistles to find out what refund we would be getting from our contract. Our contract I signed noted "the contract is automatically void in case of ... Hurricanes.. and mandatory evacuations... Deposits will not be refunded." so I was hopeful that everything except a "deposit" would be returned. When I asked, I was told in writing that, "In reference to our contract you will note "deposits" is plural and refers to all deposits made to bring your balance paid in full." I was told we would not be getting a dime. So, I don't know if it was the fact that we didn't contract with them early enough to have a "deposit" or if they should just amend the contract to saying "whatever you've paid us you won't be getting back" but I was told I was out of luck. I understand the costs involved and that Bells & Whistles had bought the flowers and rented items, they had put in some time and should be paid for their work; I was not expecting anything close to a full refund. But I received nothing. No centerpieces were made, no bouts made, no corsages, and I received no refund; I wasn't refunded the $50 delivery charge, or the $180 "set up and breakdown" charge. They kept my money and I didn't have a single stem of a flower to show for it. When contracting for wedding flowers, it isn't a time you want to necessarily be pinching pennies, but if I ever have to deal with Bells & Whistles again, you can be sure I will have a much tighter hold on all my pennies.