Callanwolde Fine Arts Center

Atlanta, GA

Book Your Wedding with Callanwolde Fine Arts Center

A BALLROOM IN ATLANTA, GA

Located inside of a 1920 Tudor Revival-style mansion in the Druid Hills neighborhood in Atlanta, Georgia, the Callanwolde Fine Arts Center makes quite an impression. The mansion has many spots for first-look photographs, from the grand staircase to the stained glass windows. It also sits on 12.5 acres of land that provide photo opportunities as well. Take unique first-look photos among the landscaped gardens and wooded grounds or get fun pictures with the entire wedding party. The indoor and outdoor space also offers various options for ceremony and reception sites.

Mansion. The 27,000-square-foot mansion has a grand staircase, lush walnut paneling and rich decor. It also has two unique event spaces. The Great Hall seats up to 160 guests, while the Indoor Courtyard holds up to 300 people.

Retreat. Built in the 1920's, this recently restored retreat features vaulted ceilings, granite floors, wood trim and a stone fireplace. It seats up to 60 people.

Gardens and Grounds. There are various spots on the garden and grounds for a ceremony and reception. Choose from the formal gardens, terraced lawn area, wooded arbor or other areas.

When you use the Callanwolde Fine Arts Center, you're only booking the space. You're responsible for hiring your vendors. You don't have to pick vendors from a list, but you do need to select vendors who are licensed and insured.

You're allowed to bring your own alcohol into the venue for your reception, but you need to have a licensed bartender on site. Drop the alcohol off the day before if you want the staff to store it for you. In addition, your vendors are allowed to drop items off the day before the event as well.

The indoor space is opulently decorated. While some couples choose to bring in decorations, it isn't necessary. Many couples let the decor speak for itself.

If you need to warm up your food for your event, there are kitchens available in the mansion and the Retreat. You'll also have access to a freezer, refrigerator, ice maker and sink to use during your reception.

The venue also provides some other items for you to use during your event. You'll have access to rectangular and round tables, along with folding chairs. In addition, an upright and grand piano are available for rent.

The Callanwolde Fine Arts Center has a historic, fully restored Aeolian Organ available for rent. To rent this organ, you must arrange an organist through the venue's staff.

Majestic Gothic-Tudor Style Mansion

Nestled in the heart of Atlanta's Druid Hills neighborhood, the former home of Coca-Cola's Charles Howard Candler family. Details include leaded-glass windows, rich walnut paneling, Tiffany chandeliers, elegant rooms and magnificant grand staircase. Surrounded by woodlands and formal gardens.

Ballroom, Estate, Historic Venue

Rentals + Equipment

980 Briarcliff Rd, Atlanta, GA (404) 872-5338

Venue

Reviewed on 2/04/2014 Meg M

This venue was absolutely perfect and had a great location!

Wonderful to work with

Reviewed on 4/25/2013 Amy C

Callanwolde was an amazing venue to have my wedding at. Charlotte and Mike were extremely helpful throughout the planning and the event itself. Since we were from out of town, they worked with us to let us drop off some decor, the alcohol, and the mixers early, which gave us... Read More extra time on Friday for other errands. Not only are they easy to work with, but the grounds were beautiful and I couldn't image having my wedding anywhere else.

Callanwolde is Classy

Reviewed on 12/14/2011 Tarvis T

For many, Callanwolde is a hidden jewel. It's location is ideal because it's just close enough to Downtown and Buckhead without all of the hustle and bustle. The historic mansion and well-manicured grounds are the perfect backdrop to a romantic wedding that reminds you of days... Read More gone by. Our ceremony took place in the Grand Hall, and the reception took place in the Courtyard. We also had our rehearsal dinner in the Retreat the night before. A great one stop venue. We loved it and so did our guests.

Reviewed on 3/04/2017 Kayla-Danielle K

My dream wedding venue and it was absolutely the perfect place for our special day. All of our guests loved the location, its beauty, and history. The Callanwolde event planning staff are also wonderful to work with. Everyone there is warm and obliging. Love this place!

Reviewed on 10/01/2016 Annie S

Really great venue! Worked with Caitlin King and she was wonderful! They really turned what could have been a bad situation (double-booked my wedding with a Christmas light show) into an amazing experience and helped my day to be magical!

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Nicole G

My wedding isn't until September 2016 but I have just had the best experience working with Caitlin so far! She has been more than accommodating and flexible with my requests, and has been very helpful with answering my many questions. :) This venue was a little pricier than I... Read More originally wanted to pay, but it is absolutely gorgeous and you have the freedom to bring in our own vendors and decor to really customize your wedding. Other venues I looked at all had a cookie-cutter approach to every wedding and would not allow you to work with outside vendors. I'm happy to have selected Callanwolde for my special day. I will be sure to update my review after the wedding takes place to comment on how everything went! UPDATE: I just had my wedding this past weekend, so I wanted to send an update on how things went. Wow - it was spectacular. I had a lot of out of town guests for my wedding and they couldn't stop talking about how beautiful the venue was and how fun that we were getting married in the historic Coca Cola home! Everyone that I have had the pleasure of working with from the venue was pleasant and did a great job setting up and with any last minute requests. I couldn't have had a more seamless wedding day (and as an event planner myself, that says a lot)! A big thanks to Caitlin King and team for doing a great job!

Reviewed on 7/03/2016 DIANA S

While the garden and mansion are absolutely gorgeous and we were able to take beautiful pictures on our wedding day, the entire frustrating ordeal of dealing with the staff made me regret booking it. We were an out-of-state couple with a tiny guest count looking for a venue... Read More that had a lot of experience with doing weddings to make it as seamless as possible. The biggest issue we had was that we were not aware that they DOUBLE-BOOKED the Gardens for our date. We signed the contract for the Retreat and Gardens, knowing that another wedding was happening in the Mansion. But months after signing the contract, we were told the other party would be doing in their ceremony in the Gardens too! This was a terrible situation to be put into and led to headaches trying to schedule our own wedding day but also ensure that the other extremely large party would not disrupt us. Finally, two weeks before the date, we were highly pressured by Caitlin to push back our ceremony time as to not disrupt the other party. In the end, the other wedding party interrupted us while we were setting up, took our decorations and we could hear them making noise during our reception. While it is not their fault for the way the other wedding party acted, Callanwolde could have prevented this by not double-booking their location. The contract was very vague overall and when we inquired about details, (email)communication was strained.

2016-08-17T12:22:57 Response from the vendor

Hi Diana -- Thanks for your feedback, but I wanted to point out some discrepancies. Please see the below email where I told Mark about the other event in December of 2015. “To: Mark Cc: Diana Hi Mark! Okay, so the Mansion is already booked... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 5/18/2016 Jessica M

I would give it zero stars if I could. It was our top option, and I went to view it and we were met with the rudest reception. We could never get ahold of Caitlin to set up an appointment, so we dropped by and I truly can't believe how we were treated. Could not imagine planning... Read More a wedding with that run around. Stay away

Reviewed on 10/08/2015 Whitney W

I fell in love with Callanwolde from the moment I set foot on the property. My husband and I had two main requirements in a venue, 1. it had to be ITP and 2. it had to have a garden. Callanwolde is tucked away in a little forest nook off Briarcliff Road, near the trendy... Read More Virginia Highlands neighborhood. It is an absolutely stunning house, with pristine gardens. The rental fee may initially seem a bit high but if you're planning on having a smaller wedding, you can actually save by booking Callanwolde. They let you bring in all your own vendors and you aren't trapped with 100 person minimums like some of the other major wedding venues in Atlanta. We also saved on décor and flowers because the mansion and property don't need anything else to make it look gorgeous. We did initially book with Alfred, their own Operations Manager, who did leave during the process. That being said, Callanwolde didn't skip a beat. When the role was filled, we received an update call and they honored everything that Alfred had promised us. The staff there are spectacular, friendly and good at what they do. While I can understand how the transition may have ruffled a few feathers, I can ensure any bride to be that a wedding at Callanwolde is an excellent choice! My wedding was beautiful, executed perfectly and the best day I could ask for. Please note, they book up wayyyy in advance. I was engaged 2/14/14 and wanted a spring 2015 wedding. I visited in June 2014 and they were booked until August 2015. I settled on a September 2015 date and it was worth the wait.

Amazing venue and service

Reviewed on 10/14/2014 Elaine W

Our reception was at Callanwolde almost by accident, after a huge debacle with our original venue. However, it must have been meant to be, because I know our wedding day was even better than planned, thanks in part to Callanwolde and its amazing staff. Yes, it is PRICEY, but... Read More for what you are getting, check it out. We had the entire main house for the ENTIRE day (from my arrival at 930am until we and the caterers left at 10pm), and no one said anything to me other than, "What do you need? How can I help?" You can bring your own alcohol, and they will store it for you from the day before, as well as anything your vendors need to deliver the day before. We had the rooms upstairs for guys' and girls' changing/dressing areas, and we were able to take photographs all over the entire property. Pick a caterer that has worked Callanwolde before (I recommend Figs and Honey Catering), and you will not have to worry about a thing. This place books up well in advance, but spots can open up, so call and see what dates they have available.

Best outdoor gardens venue in an urban setting

Reviewed on 10/08/2014 Ally S

Callanwolde was my first choice after visiting 6 possible venues for our wedding. Both my now-husband and I are from Decatur, so our families are familiar with the site and organization, so it made it very special to have our wedding there. I love the mission behind... Read More Callanwolde as they are a non-profit striving to better the Atlanta community through the visual and performing arts. Not only do they have multiple areas on the grounds for your ceremony, but if it rains and you planned to hold the ceremony outside, the backup plan is perfect: inside the Great Hall with that beautiful staircase! I didn't have to use it since our weather worked out wonderfully, but I wasn't nervous at all when I saw a cloud or two. The setting is amazing for photos--you can't find a place that won't photograph well! The staff at Callanwolde was flawless--they host hundreds of weddings and other events throughout the year, so they know the drill. Alfred Alarcon was our site manager that we worked with the year leading up to our wedding and he was nothing but professional--and fun! I wouldn't have wished any other place for our wedding. They are a fabulous venue at a good cost--go with them for your special day! You won't regret it!

Amazing venue with great service

Reviewed on 7/22/2014 Rachel

I fell in love with this venue immediately. The grounds are stunning as is the mansion. My favorite part is the grand staircase with the stained glass windows, however, it was challenging for me to pick the places I wanted our pictures to be taken at because there are so many... Read More wonderful locations in the house and around the grounds. Mike is very personable and easy to work with. He was able to answer all of our questions with ease and provided excellent service to myself and my family/vendors before and on the day of my wedding. They really work hard to make you feel special and important. We had an outdoor wedding on the grounds with the reception inside the atrium and everything was set up in a very timely manner. While Callanwolde is one of the more expensive venues in Atlanta, to me it's worth every penny. My wedding was on a Sunday and we had the house and grounds for over 12 hours that day and were even able to get it at a discounted rate due to it being on a Sunday. There was also no ceremony fee, which was great. Callanwolde will also let you use any vendors that you like and does not make you pay a fee if you choose not to go with someone on their preferred list (however, we did go with a caterer from their list, Figs and Honey, and they were very good). This allowed us to save money in areas where we already had contacts or just weren't as important to us. The one thing that did go wrong was that their bathrooms were out of order. However, they brought in a trailer with bathrooms in it that were very nice and even big enough for me to take my huge ballgown into. I was extremely pleased with my experience here and would recommend this location to any bride getting married in the Atlanta area!

Perfect Setting for a Perfect Day

Reviewed on 7/22/2014 Julianne C

I highly recommend getting married at Callanwolde. The staff members that I encountered throughout the whole process (notably Mike and Chip) were willing to answer any questions I had about the ceremony/reception logistics but could also give me some nice historical facts about... Read More the beautiful home. The house is so amazingly beautiful that I felt like I needed minimal decoration...the house's beauty speaks for itself in so many ways. I had both my ceremony and reception at the venue, and the transition between the two was seamless. Many of my vendors had already worked at Callanwolde and were happy to hear that was where they would be for my wedding. The home has a number of beautiful spots for pictures, and plenty of parking for your guests (which is important because parking can be SUCH a pain in Atlanta). If you are waffling between Callanwolde and another venue, just take the time to look at the beautiful staircase. That staircase will make your decision for you.

Perfect Southern Setting

Reviewed on 9/11/2013 Cory T

Callanwolde stole our hearts from the first visit we made to tour the venue. We loved the gardens, the courtyard room for the reception, the many settings for picture opportunities and the open layout that would easily accommodate our ~140 guests without feeling cramped. The... Read More event director, who is no longer with the venue, was a pain to work with, gave away our wedding date, and then was difficult to reach and communicate with throughout the process. The main attraction for us was the fact that you could bring in your own vendors and alcohol. The courtyard ceiling previously had no décor to cover the old ceiling tiles, but a few months before our wedding date, we found out that they were permanently adding drapery to the ceiling. This addition did not affect my rental cost and greatly improved the aesthetic appearance of this room - such a nice surprise. All in all, it was a fabulous venue to offer the perfect southern setting we were after.

AMAZING

Reviewed on 11/01/2011 Erica H

Callanwolde is a beautiful location where a wedding ceremony AND reception can be held. The gothic tudor style home, gardens and amphitheater give your wedding a vintage look and feel. The rental price seems expensive, but you get to bring in all of your own vendors -... Read More including alcohol, catering, cake, etc. This means there are no minimums for food and beverage, and you can save on costs here if you find the right vendors.

Expensive but Gorgeous!

Reviewed on 6/25/2011 Nicole M

I loved having my wedding at Callanwolde! It was gorgeous, provided a little history for our out of town guests, and had a great layout. Callanwolde has so many fabulous settings for an outdoor ceremony and a perfect indoor space for a wonderful reception. Though expensive,... Read More they allow you to bring in your own alcohol and choose any wedding vendors you prefer (no preferred vendor list required), so you can really balance out the costs. We spent less money overall than we would have at a place with lower rental costs by buying our own alcohol and choosing an independent caterer. And we got a prettier backdrop. I cannot wait to see the photos!

Beautiful Facility!

Reviewed on 5/18/2011 Laura P

I used the Callanwolde Mansion as my reception site, and it was wonderful! Our wedding was also at Christmastime, so the Mansion was decorated with their annual Christmas at Callanwolde. It was amazing!

Amazingly Romantic :)

Reviewed on 10/19/2010 Jo W

Callanwolde was so beautiful for my wedding. The detailing throughout the house is magnificent. It really set the tone for my romantic themed wedding.

Beautiful Portraits and Photos

Reviewed on 6/28/2010 Grace M

This was the perfect setting. Magical.