Your Ceremony; Your Voice

When two people choose to join together in marriage, it’s a personal and precious decision. We craft wedding ceremonies that are just as personal. Your ceremony should be an expression of your heart and soul. Simple or elaborate, traditional or cutting-edge, formal or casual, we create and perform beautiful and meaningful experiences that you and your guests will remember for years to come. Our ceremonies emphasize your values and personalities so each one is different. We work with couples of all religions, cultures, and beliefs and also perform non-religious ceremonies. We have been have been serving the greater DC area since 2004 performing weddings, vow renewals, commitment ceremonies, handfastings, family blendings and many more. We have always been proudly gay-friendly.

Religious Affiliations

Baha'i Faith, Buddhist, Catholic, Anglican/Episcopal, Baptist, Congregationalist, Lutheran, Methodist, Nondenominational, Presbyterian, Protestant, Quaker, Christian, Hindu, Interfaith, Reform, Jewish, Muslim, Pagan, Secular, Sikh, Spiritual, Unitarian, Wiccan

Ceremony, Wedding

Reviewed on 11/02/2016 Katie B

My husband and I had a great experience working with AC on our wedding ceremony. We asked for a simple, authentic, intimate, and secular ceremony that was still full of heart, and we got exactly what we wanted. AC came to our first meeting equipped with a ton of options for... Read More ceremony structure, readings, and rituals for us to choose from, and she continued to be extremely responsive and helpful throughout the rest of the process. Our ceremony script was customized and felt very true to us. Many of our guests told us how beautiful they thought the ceremony was and how much they enjoyed AC's animated and sincere officiating. I can't recommend her enough!

Reviewed on 9/10/2016 Brian D

AC was our officiant at our wedding June 4, 2016 in Washington, DC. She is fantastic. She really helped us create a meaningful ceremony that was true to us, our families, our faiths, and our values. Very responsive, easy to work with, a consummate professional.

Reviewed on 12/08/2015 Lisa R

AC of Capital Ceremonies was delightful to work with. She was extremely professional and organized throughout all our dealings with her. During our initial interview, she spent a lot of time getting to know us. We really wanted to make our ceremony reflect our story and our... Read More values, and she did a fantastic job at capturing the vibe that we wanted, going back and forth on drafts until the language was just right and it flowed seamlessly. We could never have done it without her! We also had some fairly non-traditional ideas about how we wanted the ceremony to go, and she was great at helping us think through our options and logistics for our set up (in the round, walking in together, with all of our guests surrounding us). We had our ceremony in the DC War Memorial on the National Mall, and AC was a huge help at helping us figure out how best to use that space. She gave us the idea to do a sort of reverse receiving line, where we greeted guests as they arrived; we absolutely loved how it worked out! Our guests, particularly our parents, all had lovely things to say about her. Highly recommended!

2015-12-09T08:06:56 Response from the vendor

Wow! Thank you for putting so much time and thought into this. What lovely things to say. It was a complete delight to work with both of you and to meet your wonderful families and friends.

Reviewed on 9/20/2015 Emily

We are so glad we found AC to officiate our wedding! We wanted something non-traditional and un-religious, and she wrote the most beautiful ceremony for us. She incorporated some poignant quotes and give us a variety of ideas for traditional cultural practices based on our... Read More ancestry. We loved that it didn't sound like the traditional religious ceremonies we'd been to time and time again and that we were able to incorporate some unique and fun elements, like a wine box time capsule to be opened on our 5th anniversary (and hopefully not before!) and sharing a glass of wine to symbolize our union. ...we got married at a winery so the wine practices were fitting! She was really helpful and patient throughout the process, and we would highly recommend her to be a part of your most special day!

Reviewed on 8/10/2015

My new husband and I were very pleased with the lovely ceremony that AC helped us create. My husband found her while searching the internet for an officiant to perform a small and simple ceremony for us. We met her and she really guided us through what seemed a daunting task to... Read More us both. She created a ceremony that was personal and took into account our values as well as our backgrounds to really customize our wedding to fit us. We highly recommend her for her professional, warm and knowledgeable style!

A true Celebrant's Celebrant!

Reviewed on 4/21/2015

I had known for years that my colleague AC Warden was a gifted Celebrant, but it wasn’t until she agreed to officiate at my own wedding that I fully experienced the uniqueness of Who she is and the outstanding creative qualities she brings to this profession she truly loves.... Read More The weeks prior to Ruth’s and my wedding were filled with unexpected twists and quirks – but absolutely nothing caught AC off-guard… her instinct for problem solving before they happen is uncanny, and that is only ONE of the many talents she has tucked away in her enviable bag of tricks! I could easily say heart-felt dittos to every word of praise in the reviews on this page. Instead, I will add one more quality I consider one of her finest: She opens her gifted inner-eye and finds the deepest essence of each couple she works with; then she paints that essence on a simple but perfectly expressed canvas of words that not only touches the two hearts whose joining she has designed, but also deeply moves those in attendance. I have officiated and attended uncounted weddings in my own career as a Celebrant. But Ruth’s and my ceremony was spiritually more powerful in its elegant simplicity than any wedding I ever witnessed -- I believe the word is ‘Perfect.’ Thank you AC, colleague, friend et célébrant par excellence Sarah and Ruth

A Wonderful Ceremony

Reviewed on 4/15/2015

My wife and I choose A.C. after reviewing and speaking with a number of officiants. She came highly recommended by a friend who had attended a ceremony officiated by A.C., and she gave rave reviews. We were not disappointed. We wanted a ceremony that was traditional but at the... Read More same time incorporated our own ethnic traditions and had an obvious modern and forward touch. After the ceremony, all our guests commented on how personable, down to earth and emotional it was. Thanks to A.C., we had the ceremony of our dreams.

A Perfect Ceremony

Reviewed on 11/11/2014 Sarah W

My husband and I chose AC as our officiant because we were looking to create a unique yet traditional wedding ceremony. We loved the process of creating a ceremony with her as we went back in forth in drafts to create the perfect version. The readings that AC presented us with... Read More were heartfelt and perfect. The amount of work she put in to find the perfect pieces of text and turn our own words into a cohesive ceremony was astonishing. On our wedding day I 100% felt like she had captured us and our guests could not stop talking about what an emotional and beautiful ceremony we had. I would recommend Capital Ceremonies in a heartbeat.

Personalized, beautiful ceremony

Reviewed on 11/04/2014 Shannon P

Having AC as our celebrant was one of the best elements of our spectacular wedding. She put together a beautiful secular ceremony that was touching, meaningful, and centered on our relationship. We didn’t know what we wanted out of a ceremony when we found AC, but she helped... Read More craft something that was intimate and personal. She had us each fill out a long questionnaire about our relationship and interviewed several friends and family members for their views on our relationship. This was not only useful for incorporation into the ceremony, but it was a great way to bring our focus back to why we were getting married in the first place. With all of the details of planning a wedding, it’s easy to forget sometimes that the marriage is the most important part. In our first meeting, AC sat and talked with us for a couple of hours to really get to know us and the kind of ceremony that would fit us. She helpfully made several suggestions for incorporating traditional and non-traditional rituals and elements in the ceremony that reflected our backgrounds and beliefs. She put together the core structure with several options and recommendations and guided us through the process of finalizing it. She helped us find ways to involve several family members in the ceremony, in addition to incorporating quotes from friends who had been interviewed. The result was a ceremony that told the story of us, that celebrated our marriage and not just the concept of marriage. Our friends and family still tell us that it was the most sincere, unique ceremony they have ever witnessed. We could not recommend AC more highly.

You can't go wrong!

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Melissa O

Choosing AC as our wedding officiant is one of the best decisions we made in our planning process. From our very first meeting, AC was so warm and respectful, and truly listened and learned about us as a couple in order to create a beautiful ceremony. Correspondence was always... Read More prompt, and AC was extremely flexible in discussing what we wanted in the ceremony and making changes as needed. Our ceremony felt so deeply personalized and meaningful, and so many of our guests told us how much they enjoyed it. I feel that sometimes the importance of the ceremony gets lost in wedding planning, and working with AC is a fantastic way to ensure that your ceremony is beautiful and meaningful and really highlights the significance of your wedding day.

July Wedding 2014

Reviewed on 7/21/2014

We were fortunate to find AC through the Internet. We reached out to her; she promptly replied and we had an introductory call with her. From the first moment we spoke, she truly seemed like an honest, kind, and genuine person. We felt very at ease with her, and had a good... Read More feeling about her. We spoke to other celebrants and did not receive the same feeling from them as we did with AC. AC's fees were less than others and the payment methods were easy to accommodate. Throughout the entire process, AC was prompt whether by phone or in person. The services she provided were absolutely what we hoped to find. Being out of state, she handled everything for us. She sent us the required forms and once we returned them to her, she filed them at the courthouse for us. She conducted a prenuptial phone interview to discuss our spiritual backgrounds and ceremony expectations. From this conversation, she sent us suggested prayers, scriptures, and poems from which we could choose to include in the ceremony. She recommended and provided websites for several locations throughout the Washington, DC area where the ceremony could be held. AC is a very calm, unhurried, and articulate person..... the epitome of what a spiritual person is! Her smile and the way she looked at us during the ceremony demonstrated her sincere thoughts were with us and in the moment. The entire process went so smoothly we cannot thank her enough for helping us through the legalities and ceremonial preparations. It was truly gratifying to have her with us for the consecration of our wedding vows. We would absolutely recommend AC for weddings and/or any other spiritual events.

AC Warden was spectacular!

Reviewed on 4/13/2014 Kelsey B

Hi Newly Engaged Folks, Congrats to you. Now go and reach out to AC today. It will be one of those decisions you will never regret. My wife and I wanted to create a ceremony that was our own, something that reflected our personalities, our family's traditions, our slightly... Read More wacky nature, all of it. AC was a perfect choice to help us do that and still have a ceremony that was thoughtful and emotional and meaningful. She has a wonderful presence and added gravitas to our ceremony, along with a great sense of humor, and an ability to roll with the punches. Three things I loved about working with her. 1) She was always a calming presence and took every question thoughtfully. And we had a lot of questions. 2) She put us first. Our ideas, language, and selections for readings were always taken seriously and used in the crafting of our ceremony. She told us many times that this was our day, and whatever we decided was the right choice. And last, she was always honest and clear with us. If she needed something, she asked. If we were late on something from our timeline, she let us know. But always with a professional, soft touch. My wife and I appreciated knowing exactly what was expected and when. That clarity was a blessing in a sea of moving logistics. Basically folks, AC was meant to do this. And she's a really warm wonderful person too. Congrats on your engagement and good luck with your planning! Brett and Kelsey

Perfect

Reviewed on 3/28/2014

AC so helpful in helping us have the perfect wedding. She took a great load off of us by just handling the licensing. We talked on Skype and we worked on our ceremony. If you are looking for the perfect wedding officiant.....look no further

Wonderful!

Reviewed on 7/06/2013 Alanna H

A.C. Warden officiated our Washington, DC wedding in May and did an absolutely fantastic job! All of our guests left raving about how beautiful, and most importantly personal, our ceremony was. She took the time to customize our ceremony – interviewing our friends,... Read More incorporating surveys that we took, and listening to what we wanted to include. She has a lot of experience officiating weddings of all types and it shows through in her ability to deliver! She was able to keep our large wedding party and guests in order throughout the ceremony. We would highly recommend A.C. to anyone and everyone planning a wedding particularly if you are looking for a highly personal ceremony.

Incredible, moving, big weepy mess of a wedding!

Reviewed on 10/17/2012 Alison W

AC helped us create the most beautiful wedding ceremony! She worked with us through several drafts to cultivate the exact emotions we were looking for -- love, warmth, inclusion, humor. She suggested a diverse number of readings, recommended elements of the ceremony that spoke... Read More to both our backgrounds (we went with a memorial candle lighting, ring blessing from our guests, and wine sharing -- all of which were so moving!), and she helped us organize the ceremony to have the right flow. On the day, she executed the ceremony perfectly and with such grace. Every single guest commented after about how much they loved being a part of something so special. We couldn't agree more! The ceremony was so memorable -- still tearing up days later! Thank you so much, AC!

Got the job done

Reviewed on 10/01/2012 Diane W

Personal, Meaningful, and Beautiful Ceremony!

Reviewed on 6/07/2012 Blake H

We cannot say enough good things about A.C.! She was an absolute joy to work with—extremely professional, responsive, and kind. My husband and I didn’t even know where to begin with choosing what we wanted for our wedding ceremony, and A.C. was there to guide us every step of... Read More the way. She is extremely knowledgeable about different wedding customs and traditions, which we found invaluable. More importantly, she really took the time to get to know us and what we envisioned for our ceremony and offered suggestions accordingly. This was not a one-size-fits-all approach, and it was obvious that our wedding ceremony would be anything but cookie-cutter. In fact, A.C. really tailors her ceremonies to each bride and groom and captures their unique love story. As a result, the final product is an intensely personal, meaningful, and joyous ceremony unlike no other. Our guests agreed! We received countless compliments from our wedding guests about A.C. and the beautiful ceremony she created for us. We are so grateful to A.C. for making our wedding ceremony so special and cannot recommend her enough!

A Magical Ceremony

Reviewed on 5/08/2012 Maria S

We are so glad we chose AC Warden for our ceremony. My husband and I come from different backgrounds, and we wanted to incorporate both of our cultures into the ceremony. AC was very knowledgeable, and gave us a lot of ideas and suggestions to make our ceremony personal and... Read More unique. Our ceremony was beautiful; all of our guest loved it. We are so happy AC Warden was part of our special day.

Most memorable ceremony ever!

Reviewed on 11/26/2011 Jenny K

AC was fantastic and a joy to work with! She officiated our wedding and we couldn't be happier. She was great about sitting down with us and getting to know us. She was totally respectful of our desire to keep religious elements out of the ceremony. She suggested several... Read More meaningful elements that we thought were really interesting, and we asked her to include them in our ceremony. Some of them also had a benefit of having an aspect that would let all the guests participate in the ceremony. AC wrote a beautiful ceremony for us - she said we could go back and forth and edit the ceremony as many times as we had to, but it was so amazing the first time that very few edits were necessary. AC also did a great job of helping us (me) keep calm during the rehearsal and the wedding. It was great to have that kind of calming presence right before the wedding. The guests all agreed that the ceremony was one of the most special and most memorable ceremonies they had ever seen, and we had a great time. To sum up - I wouldn't recommend anyone except AC to do your wedding!

Fantastic ceremony

Reviewed on 11/08/2011 Sonya R

AC Warden did a beautiful job with the ceremony for our October 2011 wedding. After our initial meeting with AC, we knew she was the right person to help us write some of the most important and meaningful words two people can say to each other. Her approach to creating a... Read More personalized ceremony is fantastic and she made the process very easy for us. I received many, many compliments from guests on how personal and moving the ceremony was, I would highly recommend AC.

Profound and Beautiful

Reviewed on 10/21/2011 antonia b

Right from the start I felt that we clicked with A.C. We wanted a ceremony that had weight - that had joy, yes, but also was mindful of the road we were choosing and what marriage means. We wanted a ceremony that had symbolism in it, too - I'm quite big on ritual and its... Read More importance. When we met, A.C. went through with us ideas that we could encorporate and heard some of the ideas we had. She quickly understood the tenor of what would suit us. This is a great skill she has - and was underscored when we saw the first draft of our wedding ceremony. She had channeled the atmosphere and what we wanted! She had encorporated the ideas we'd talked about so that they were natural and had the desired effect. Not at all an easy task! On the day, she conducted the ceremony with poise, warmth, humor and gravitas. I had many of our guests tell me that it was the best wedding ceremony they'd attended and many complemented A.C. herself. One friend told me that I'd restored his faith in non-liturgical wedding ceremonies. I think that sums up A.C.'s top qualityness very nicely.

A tragedy into a wedding miracle

Reviewed on 9/10/2011 Calandra T

My transportation was late by 20 minutes picking me up and then we couldn't get the music selection downloaded to play the music I wanted for our wedding. A.C. was a miracle in the making. She has wedding music that I initially had to walk down the aisle and we just used it for... Read More the processional and the recessional. I was so pleased with her coming prepared even though we didn't have a DJ at the last minute. She was able to still do our ceremony that we planned to use, but wasn't able to do on part. It didn't matter at that point because I was so happy that she was able to pull together the rest of our ceremony. She is truly a wonderful person and really worked out at the end. I would definitely recommend her to anyone. She's great!!!

Wonderful Officiant

Reviewed on 5/10/2011 Jacqueline Amanda R

AC Warden put together a beautiful ceremony for my wife and I. Unfortunately, she had a family emergency and was unable to perform our ceremony, but she contacted a back-up officiant and handled almost all of the change over details. We could not be happier with the ceremony,... Read More though. Her writing was wonderful, and she truly created a wedding that was meaningful. I highly recommend AC Warden if you are looking for someone who can talk to you just a few times, and really pull out the core of what you are looking for in a ceremony.

Thank you for a beautiful ceremony!

Reviewed on 4/27/2011 Jennifer D

Josh and I just wanted to thank you for the wonderful job you did with our wedding. We received many compliments on the ceremony and I think the little details such as having us face the group and addressing our families/parents in the beginning really added to the personal feel... Read More and helped to create the intimate atmosphere we were hoping for. Thanks again for everything; we couldn't have asked for a better more memorable ceremony! Josh and Jennifer Rothenberg

A.C. Warden

I am A. C. Warden, a Certified Life-Cycle Celebrant® and ordained interfaith minister. I have performed over 800 customized weddings since 2004. I enjoy crafting ceremonies that truly express your values and your personalities. In my other life I am a filmmaker. and have produced, directed, and edited documentary films and videos for over 30 years.