Bringing Your Events to Life!

CATERED BY DESIGN brings your wedding to life with sumptuous food presented in spectacular fashion. Our creative & friendly team of wedding planners will be with you every step of the way. You can enjoy your special day with total confidence and peace of mind.

Cuisine

American, Italian, Fusion

Dietary Options

Vegetarian

Buffet, Catering Delivery + Setup, Passed Appetizers, Seated Meal, Servers, Food + Catering

9204 Waukegan Rd., Morton Grove, IL serving Chicago Metro Area (847) 965-4094
PINTEREST

Reviewed on 6/15/2017 Julie B

My daughter had her ceremony and reception at The Redfield Estate in Glenview, and CBD provided the food and beverage service. Everything was just spectacular. The food was delicious- probably the best cheese ravioli I have ever had. My daughter chose a vegetarian menu, and... Read More the choices were terrific. Even the meat eating guests were satisfied with the luncheon selections. The staff were courteous, timely, and the presentation was beautiful.

2017-06-15T11:04:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words. It was a pleasure working with your daughter! All the happiness!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Shawna G

We can not say enough great things about this catering company. We worked closely with Nikee. Nikee was such a pleasure to work with! She was so personable and easy to work with it felt more like planning a wedding with a friend! She helped customize every bit of our wedding!... Read More She was so attentive and responsive to our every need! And the food + service at our wedding.... WOW! We felt like kings and queens! The food was out of this world we got so many compliments about how great it was and how people have never had such great food at a wedding before. Everything was so seamless and perfect! We highly recommend Catered by Design for a personalized, unique wedding!

2016-11-16T09:27:33 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words! We appreciate you and wish you nothing but the best! The best is yet to come, cheers!

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 K W

Catered by Design made planning our wedding so much easier and smoother than I thought it would be! We worked with Nikee Fellows and her team at Catered by Design for our wedding in September at the Winnetka Community House. From the very first meeting all the way through to the... Read More event itself, everyone we worked with with organized, detail-oriented, responsive, very flexible, and genuinely excited for us! The food was delicious and displayed beautifully (with lots of unique options to pick from), and the staff working at our wedding was so friendly and professional. With this group on board, you don't need a wedding coordinator! Nikee and our day-of contact, Laura, happily coordinated and directed our other vendors for set up, take down, and answered any questions they had directly. They helped my fiance and I draw up with a realistic timeline for the day, gave us various options for furniture set up in the space, stored decorations we wanted to drop off early (and set them up however we wanted), and kept things running smoothly and on time. They even thought of the really little things too - like saving some extra hors d'oeuvres from cocktail hour for us to snack on at the head table during toasts. Honestly, this team made the entire difference when it came to wedding planning. Catered by Design was an easy and really pleasant to work with one-stop shop for our food, bar, cake, and venue coordination. I'll recommend them to all of my friends getting married in the Chicago area! Thanks again, Nikee and team for making our wedding day so great!

2016-11-16T09:28:41 Response from the vendor

You're much too kind! Thank you for such lovely words, we really appreciate it. We want nothing but love and happiness for you and yours for many years to come :)

Reviewed on 4/19/2017 Marissa O

We absolutely loved working with Catered by Design for our wedding in March 2017. We were lucky enough to work closely with Sam throughout the process, and he made sure everything ran smoothly. The food and the presentation were perfection. We got tons of compliments and people... Read More saying it was the best wedding food they had ever had! Their cookies were a big hit too! We were approached throughout the night by the staff manager and bartenders to make sure everything was correct and to see if we needed anything. I highly recommend going with Catered by Design for any event, especially a wedding!

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Andrea O

We had our wedding in October in Glenview, IL and Catered by Design did an amazing job hosting our wedding reception. We worked with Sam as we planned our wedding from California, he was extremely helpful, knowledgeable, genuine, and a great communicator. Everyone thought the... Read More food was amazing and the service and staff were always on top of things. Everything turned out really beautiful, we would definitely recommend the venue, the food, the staff and its exceptional service!

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Beth S

We used Catered By Design for our October 2016 backyard wedding and I would highly recommend them for any type of event. We had a wonderful experience from start to finish. The food was excellent and we had many compliments from our guests. The quality was great, the... Read More presentation was even very nice, and most importantly, the food was super tasty. Even leftovers were still so delicious. The chicken mascarpone and redskin mashed potatoes were amazing! It definitely wasn't your typical wedding food. The staff was very professional and easy to work with. They were very helpful throughout the whole planning process. Catered By Design helped make our day special and gave us an unforgettable experience!

2016-10-11T18:06:20 Response from the vendor

THANK YOU! We love when people can truly see and taste the love that comes from our company. Thank you, it truly was an honor to be a part of your special day!

Reviewed on 10/09/2016 Ivy R

We had our wedding on September 18, 2016 at the Winnetka Community House and used Catered by Design. Nikee and her team were very professional and treated us very well. The process went smoothly and they were very responsive and accommodating to any questions and requests. We... Read More didn't find any difficulties planning our wedding from out of state. They coordinated everything so well! The day of came out perfect and the quality of the food were awesome! Our guests really enjoyed themselves and kept complimenting the wedding.

2016-10-11T18:09:01 Response from the vendor

THANK YOU! Sometimes, it just takes a little bit of sunshine, loved ones, and delicious food to take special moments and transform them into forever events. Keep love alive! We wish you nothing but the best <3

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Susie M

My husband and I only had four months to plan our August wedding. We happened by chance to consider renting the affordable Glenview Park District building to use the lake as a backdrop for our ceremony. Catered by Design is their exclusive caterer but we couldn’t have chosen... Read More better. We were lucky to work with owner Sam Gray, who kindly met with us a couple times to ensure we could have the wedding we wanted. He was cordial, helpful, and patient from the beginning. He listened to our preferences and never tried to steer us in any other direction or to “up sell” anything. His integrity and pride in his company made us feel safe and happy in our choice of venue and caterer. Our wedding day turned out to be rainy and stormy but as it cleared up in the afternoon, Sam worked with my husband to help us keep the outdoor ceremony we preferred. It was splendid and I was truly in awe when I arrived. His service staff was also excellent. Of course my groom and I were kind of stunned and not paying attention to the timing of things, so server captain Laura gently reminded us to cut cake, start dancing, etc., so we wouldn’t fall too far behind. She even helped to keep an eye on my dog who was outside the wedding on the patio. Our families were really impressed by her professional and helpful manner. The servers were also attentive but unobtrusive, quietly keeping things running smoothly. The bar was ready for great service throughout cocktail hour and reception. The food was beautiful and came out at just the right times, and they even saved hors d'oeuvres from the cocktail hour for the busy bridal party! What can I say? Sam and his staff truly catered to the design of what we wanted for our wedding day. We did not hire a wedding planner but thanks to CBD we didn’t really need to. It speaks volume of the staff that there really isn’t a thing we would change about the day that we had and I’m so thankful to have worked with such a great catering team!

2016-10-11T18:11:28 Response from the vendor

THANK YOU! Your words have touched our hearts and have awaken the soul of our company. We love what we do and this is why we keep doing it, from every little detail to the big ones. We had a blast! Sending you lots of... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 8/27/2016 Galina G

Very professional, easy to communicate team. The food was delicious, we got so many complements from our guests about the food and especially the desserts

2016-11-16T09:29:45 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much. Yes, we are so lucky to have our bakery/ sweets team who can pump out delicious treats! We wish you nothing but the best!

Reviewed on 8/14/2016 Chelsea R

We were absolutely thrilled with our service from Catered by Design! The owner, Sam, was so accommodating and responsive. Our wedding was in my backyard (down a big hill) which could have been very challenging for a catering company, but he came to my house twice to assess... Read More everything we would need to pull it off. We also wanted to serve Shrimp n' Grits- which they had never served before- but they went above and beyond to make sure it tasted exactly the way we wanted. The servers and bartenders were excellent and very professional. Sam's responsiveness to all of my questions assured me that we were in great hands. I absolutely recommend Catered by Design!!

Reviewed on 7/30/2016 Spencer C

When we were reviewing catering options over 6 months ago, Catered By Design stood out as our top choice due to the variety of what they were able to offer, as well as the professional contact we had with them, and the quick responses. This was true the entire time leading up... Read More to the wedding, as Nikee was constantly checking in with us, ensuring everything needed to be prepped beforehand was ready. The day-of there was a bit of bad weather, and I'm a bit of a control-freak, but our main caterer Jorge was very accomodating, finding me between events to update on the weather, and whether we could use our outdoor (but covered) seating or move things indoors. Everything turned out amazing, and the time flew by. Honestly my biggest regret is that we didn't realize how quickly dinner would pass, as everything was delicious (we had carved Roast Beef, Roasted Chicken, and Risotto Cakes on a buffet) and by the time I was ready for seconds, our cake was being brought out. If I hadn't specifically asked to be consulted at every turn, I have full confidence the Catered By Design Team could have run a fantastic evening without any of my input (I basically only agreed with what they suggested anyway). Truly a great experience and well worth it! A quick photo of the place setting they did for us: https://goo.gl/photos/KTxFmY4M89XTrtyRA

Reviewed on 7/26/2016 Lauren J

Catered By Design not only was the most affordable of our 3 choices, but it was also the only one that could accommodate a plated option at our price point. Nikee is an angel- truly taking on more than we expected. Her and her team take care of everything. We did a fair deal... Read More of DIY and their team went into our storage locker and put everything out for us, perfectly. And the food??? Absolutely amazing. Our wedding guests thought the menu was fun and delicious-a few highlights: mini tacos, sliders, risotto cakes... Everything was top notch. One of my favorite vendors I worked with during my wedding planning process.

Reviewed on 6/30/2016 Rosalba C

We could not be happier with Catered by Design!!! We got married at the Winnetka Community House in June of 2016 and Catered by Design is their exclusive caterer. Nikee and the entire team were great to work with. Nikee in particular could not be more pleasant to work with.... Read More They were so responsive to our many questions throughout the planning process and gave us great guidance when were making decisions. They truly helped us have the most beautiful wedding and a night to remember! A month later and our guests are still talking about the great food, amazing venue, and overall experience. I highly recommend them! .

Reviewed on 11/16/2015 Shannon Z

So impressed with Catered by Design! They take care of everything from the silverware to the meals. The food is delicious and the service is impeccable. We worked primarily with Nikee and she could not have been more helpful, accommodating and professional. The day came together... Read More beautifully and everyone raved about the food. I would highly recommend Catered by Design to any bride :)

Reviewed on 11/04/2015 Samantha B

Sam and his team were incredible throughout the entire planning process. As soon as we completed the tasting, we knew our wedding food was going to blow our guests away. They listened to our wishes and help create a menu that was perfectly catered to us (no pun intended). Now,... Read More months later, we still talk about how delicious all the food was! Catered By Design was a pleasure to work with and did fabulous work. It's a win-win!

Reviewed on 11/04/2015 Samantha B

Sam and his team are incredible. They made our special day so perfect. And the food was outstanding. We still talk about how delicious everything was!

Candid review of our wedding caterer - Catered by Design

Reviewed on 11/02/2015 Cassie A

We got married in June 2015 & could not have been more pleased that we chose Catered by Design (CBD) to cater our wedding. They did so much more than just provide the food at our wedding. Our venue gave us the option between 4 different caterers. After some initial research, we... Read More immediately ruled out one, which left 3 remaining. We scheduled tastings with 2 of the 3. Our 1st tasting was with CBD & they set the bar very high. Not to sound cheesy, but the experience we magical. They have a separate room where the tasting is held, which is very quaint, & leave you to eat & critique the food on your own, b/c let’s be honest, who really wants to tell someone to their face that you hate their food! Well luckily this wouldn’t of been a problem b/c everything we tasted was absolutely delicious & the presentation was exquisite. Everything was so good that we had a really difficult time deciding which items to pick for our menu. Also, we fell in love with, & it wasn’t just because we consumed a few glasses of wine during our tasting, Nikee & Mallory (aka the dynamic duo that make the magic happen). So on to the next tasting, now while the food was also delicious, we had our tasting with owner of the company, talk about not wanting to critique the food in front of them! Now while the other caterer’s food was also delicious, ultimately, we choose CBD, not only because we were impressed with the food, attention to detail, service, experience, & the list goes on & on, but also because we loved Nikee & Malloy & felt confident working with them on, let’s be honest folks, the biggest, most expensive, extravagant, detail oriented, stressful, intense, roller coaster of a ride, party that is called a WEDDING would be a great experience! Fast forward a year later, but actually I shouldn’t fast forward, b/c it’s that year & hundreds of emails/calls/2nd tastings/myriad of countless details later, these ladies did nothing but put my mind at ease, provide me information, recommendations, different napkin color swatches to ensure I pick my absolute favorite (I mean, come on, they went above & beyond). Then, the day of, aka best day of my life, unfolds seamlessly to the naked eye of those who don’t know all that goes into a wedding, but for me who knows that there are people behind the scenes making everything happen so me, my hubby, & all of our guests can have the time of their lives. Let’s not forget the little things, lemon in the glasses of water, the way the napkins were folded, table settings, coordinating with the florist & every other vendor known to man, & the list goes on & on, and don’t get me started on the champagne tree. The guests loved it; such a unique & elegant touch. Also, we had numerous guests tell us that our food was the best wedding food they’ve ever had! Talk about a ringing endorsement! Well that’s my spiel, sorry for the rant & run on sentences, but I cannot express how much I loved working with this company & especially these amazing women. It took me months to write this review b/c I wanted it to be absolutely perfect to illustrate the awesomeness that is CBD. I don’t know that it’s perfect, but I sure do hope it helps that lovable, slightly neurotic soon to be bride, who loves organizing all of her wedding planning in multiple spreadsheets, PowerPoints, & cares about every last detail, I understand your pain & I highly recommend CBD to help keep you sane!

Reviewed on 10/26/2015

"Catered By Design had a huge role in creating our joyful and enjoyable wedding! We had a great time! The venue we selected had CBD on their list of preferred providers, and having worked with them in planning the food, beverages and layout/look of our event, we know why they... Read More are "preferred." After our guests had left and we were driving away to go on our honeymoon, we were floating on a cloud because everything went SO well. What a fantastic feeling to know that you have chosen to collaborate with a group of people who will do their very best to make your vision come to life. Nikee and Mallory were great to work with...very responsive, very patient (I ask a lot of questions and need detailed answers), very thorough AND very confident in their colleagues' professionalism, adaptability, and pleasant demeanor. They made it clear, by their behavior toward us and their obvious interest in making things happen as we hoped, that we could leave it in their hands once we had asked the last question and planned the last plan, and it would turn out great. And it did! This company really knows its business. We had a lovely buffet luncheon with delicious food presented beautifully, including an array of passed appetizers in the preceding cocktail hour. There were, happily, no food surprises on the wedding day, as we had had a wonderful tasting experience months before, and all turned out as expected, which put us at our ease. The staff for the event was unobtrusive, efficient, good-natured and welcoming...couldn't have asked for better. Their adaptability and preparedness helped us get around a weather issue in the morning, and our outdoor ceremony moved successfully indoors at the last moment. All day, we could enjoy our guests and our experience without "attending" to anything. They just made it happen around us, which really made the day. Thank you to everyone at Catered By Design who participated in our wedding event. You are great!"

Excellent Food and Service at our Wedding on top of the World!

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 Jessica C

My husband and I had our wedding reception on the 99th floor of the Willis Tower in June 2015. We had a choice of catering companies for our event, but picking Catered By Design was the obvious and one of the best choices we made for our wedding! Catered By Design was... Read More extremely professional, hands on, flexible and truly helped us to personalize our event. We had a lot of fun at our tasting and walkthroughs of our event space. My fiancé and I always felt filled in about all of our options and listened to. It was such a great experience. Our wedding day was full of guests complimenting us about the amazing event space, which Catered By Design is only one of two companies that can cater on the 99th floor of Willis Tower. Everyone raved about our hors d'oeuvres, which included bacon wrapped dates, lobster mac and cheese and mini grilled cheeses with tomato soup. The bars were beautifully set up with wine trees that allowed wine and champagne glasses to be magically suspended, so that guests could simply walk up to the tree and pick up the wine/champagne. Guests loved this! The room was exactly set up as I imagined, perfectly established. Dinner ran smoothly and timely. We chose to have a dessert bar set up, which was gorgeous and guests reported very impressive- as well as tasty! The deconstructed cannoli in cups were perfect! A huge thanks to Catered By Design for giving us and our guests such a wonderful and delicious evening. I greatly appreciate their expertise, professionalism and creativity. It really made a great impression with our guests, who were raving about the food and the decor set up by Catered By Design. We would 100% recommend them to any of our friends for their weddings and we will definitely go to them for any of our future catered celebrations!

Reviewed on 10/23/2015 Shelby W

I can't say enough about catered by design. I worked with Nikee Fellows and she was amazing. The food was top notch, the service was amazing. I got married at one of their venues, the winnekta community house and it was spectacular. It is a hidden garden gem in the north shore... Read More of Chicago. All of my ideas, details and plans went off without a hitch thanks to their team. I met with Nikee several times during the months leading up to my wedding and she was nothing short of amazing. Every little detail from hand painted toss across sets to hand painted signs and hand sewn pillows were incorporated by her team. I was put in touch with several vendors (my videographer & production agency) through them and can't say enough about them either. The wedding process can be overwhelming and stressful, but thanks to Catered By Design all of my plans and dreams about my perfect day came together beautifully. From their champagne & wine trees to the quality of their food it was all above expectations. My guests raved about the food and the small detail touches that were everywhere. They are a design company that does amazing catering. They truly make their events about the experience and lasting impressions with the small details and the way in which they allow you to make the event anything you can dream up. I had an amazing experience and a wedding I will never forget thanks to them!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

Our daughter’s was wedding on September 12, 2015 in the Skyline Room at the Bridgeport Art Center. We met Sam Gray and his Catered By Design group personally a year before the wedding. We loved the full-course meal tasting--father of the bride, mother of the bride and groom to... Read More be. The bride, of course, wanted to try a few more tastings before deciding. Sam was extremely flexible holding our date and giving us more time than we deserved in making the decision. We acquiesced and attended additional higher end tastings in what would be considered more of a “foodie” experience, but in the end, we felt that Sam’s entire meal and presentation were flawless. Sam had been recommended to us by another Hinsdale family who raved about the food at their wedding. I checked with several of the guests from that wedding who agreed the food was fabulous. The price point still bested the other two caterers who in the end rushed in with last minute concessions. But that’s the point. Sam had been honest and upfront on the pricing from the first day we met. He is an honorable man and passionate about what he does and provides good food and is easy to work with. What more could you ask for? We gratefully appreciated him being personally on site the evening of our wedding. Our main choices for the night were filet mignon and chicken marsala. It may sound mundane, but every one of my friends and many guests commented and complimented us on the meal and experience. CBD’s detail, enthusiasm, service and delicious food made them the most memorable vendor. Both my husband and I would hire him again in a heartbeat. Our daughter chose to work with several key vendors who had never hosted or worked a wedding at the Bridgeport Art Center. Sam’s confidence and demeanor gave me the peace of mind that I needed, knowing he had the knowledge and experience at our venue to make sure it was a perfect evening. And it was. Thank you Sam!

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

Hats off to Catered By Design!

Reviewed on 10/16/2015 Stephanie C

Simply put, you will NOT be disappointed if you go with Catered By Design. I had the pleasure of working with Nikee. She is as sweet in person as she sounds on the phone. Top notch customer service, high-end quality and appearance and more than fair prices. They were so... Read More flexible with our requests and more than accommodating when we needed to make changes. Out of all the vendors we worked with, Catered By Design was absolutely the BEST! They just don’t have that “hustle you” attitude that so many other caterers have. Their staff was professional, nicely dressed and the presentation of their dishes is AMAZING. Everyone RAVED about the food at our wedding. I’m a very type A personality but with Nikee I felt so confident that everything was taken care of and that I didn’t need to “babysit” them to make sure things got done. We even ended up using them for the day after brunch we hosted for out of town guests! I hope I have the opportunity to work with them again in the future.

Reviewed on 8/24/2015

Working with Sam and Matt Gray was one of the best decisions my wife and I made during the planning process of our wedding. Sam Gray has been in the restaurant and catering business for so long that his experience was what helped us make our decision. Our wedding was at The... Read More Chicago Cultural Center on June 20th, 2015. With the final count at 235 people, it seemed like we were in over our head with all the planning and what not which would need to go into this. Sam and Matt made it so much easier, especially with their past experience at the Cultural Center. The food was amazing. We allowed our guests to have an option between beef, chicken, salmon, and veggie. I think beef was the overall top choice by everyone, but it seemed like the panko-stuffed chicken was the fan favorite for the night. In reality, you couldn't go wrong with any of them. The sweet tower is also amazing as it's set up on floating buffets and just has such a cool look to it. The staff was very attentive and responded to any request in a timely manner. The switch from cocktail hour to the actual reception was flawless and no one noticed it happening at all. All in all, I would highly recommend Catered by Design and the work that Sam Gray does. He's the ultimate professional and will do everything he can to make the day special for you.

Reviewed on 8/08/2015

There are caterers, and there are good caterers, and then there is Catered By Design. Catered By Design is head and shoulders above all others. I cannot recommend them highly enough! They were easy to deal with, had great consultative ideas, food that was awesome, portions... Read More that were huge, and service that was impeccable. Sam, the owner, had great ideas to make the presentations beautiful and serving flow so smoothly we didn't have to give it a thought. Laura was in charge of the food service (outdoor wedding in our backyard for 155 people) and she was amazing and her attention to detail was perfect. It was a flawless performance and oh ya, did I forget to mention the food flavors? They were spot on, mouthwatering, and delicious. We had many people say to us (we are the parents of the bride) it was the best wedding food they had ever had. Desserts were outstanding and I could have eaten them all night long. I highly recommend you call them for your wedding (or events) if you live in the Chicago area. Simply Magnificent!