Striking Photography

Let's create and capture some of the best moments of your life. Your wedding is an emotional experience, and your photographer should enhance it. Let's focus on creating your fantastic day: love, celebration, and joy. Only then can we create exceptional wedding photographs. We create images ranging from photojournalism and traditional family portraiture to stunning magazine-style images. Our style molds to fit your wedding's needs. It is not one style, but rather a mix of aesthetics that embrace everything your wedding has to offer.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

182 W Lake St , Chicago, IL Chicago Metro (312) 285-4533

Simply the Best!

Reviewed on 10/26/2012 Jaclyn D

I found Colin online and was immediately attracted to his style of photography. The photos looked both traditional and non-traditional with fashionable edge! After I booked Colin he came out to my home to review the wedding day agenda and noted all of the things that were very... Read More important to me on the "big day", great to see. It was also nice to get to know Colin personally before the wedding. He has a great personality, good sense of humor, and is fun to be around. On the day of, Colin arrived 30 minutes early, another plus, and started to shoot. Colin took so many great photos of "little things" while getting ready that I didn't even recall. We all know how stressful those moments can be! Colin and his assistant were absolutely wonderful. They took every shot that I requested and then some. He has an artistic eye and is a great photographer. I would recommend Colin to every bride out there, he is simply the best! And, I also agree with the rest, call asap for he books up fast!

Stop Looking Now....Colin is a sure thing!

Reviewed on 8/01/2013 Gina O

We worked with Colin this past November and are thrilled with how the pictures turned out! I got his name from a friend who had used him months prior and after meeting him, knew it was a match. I have a fairly large outspoken family so I needed someone who would be able to... Read More manage the crowd and not be overwhelmed in the process. Colin was perfect and remained calm and in control the entire day which allowed me to focus on being in the moment. He was diligent about making sure we got the “picture list” taken care of but more importantly he captured so many real moments and emotions throughout the day. He is truly one of the best and in the end we could not be happier with the pictures. We literally have soooo many great options (about 1,000 pictures) and now my husband gives me hard time about how many framed pictures we have in the condo from our wedding. I think it’s a good problem to have I’ve also received a ton of compliments on our pictures from friends and family over the past few months. Colin in one of the best out there so I would not hesitate to book him if he’s available. His laid back personality will keep you calm and relaxed during your busy day and trust me you will be very impressed with the end result! PS. I was also very happy with our engagement shoot which captured a bunch of fun city shots. And it allowed us the chance to get to know Colin a little better. I recommend doing this as well and Colin knows of a ton of great spots!

the best in the business!

Reviewed on 1/02/2013 Lindsay H

Colin Lyons and assistant Elena Bazini do such a wonderful job and will make your wedding photos reflect the perfection of your special day! My husband and I were lucky enough to have these two shoot our rehearsal dinner, pre wedding, ceremony and reception photos all which are... Read More as beautiful as I remember the day being. Their comfortable style and easy to work with attitudes show that Colin Lyons photography is the best in the business!

Reviewed on 12/06/2016 Erika S

We found Colin via an internet search for engagement photos. Colin spent several hours with us running around the city and taking photos at numerous locations. Colin made it so easy for us to hang out and be natural in front of the camera and it showed in our photos. I wanted to... Read More have pictures of us being natural and un-posed that would reflect how we normally look when around each other- and that is what I got. After that day and upon receiving our photos, we knew we needed to have Colin shoot our wedding day. Colin was wonderful. He kept the bridal party on time and moving even though that clearly wasn't his job. He helped ensure I didn't worry about any of that stuff. There are moments from our day that naturally I missed but have heard about from numerous guests. When I got the pictures back, those moments were all in there. I was able to relive all the fun. He also has an awesome photo booth that he can set up! The pictures are all sharp, professional, and wonderful. The only problem I have is that there are so many good ones to choose from. If you are getting married in Chicago, I definitely recommend Colin and his team!

Reviewed on 11/30/2016 Sarah G

Colin was an amazing photographer and was one of the best decisions we made while planning our wedding. A friend of mine used Colin for her wedding and I knew right away that we needed to book him because her photos were absolutely beautiful. From the first time my fiancé and I... Read More met with Colin to talk wedding logistics, I know he would capture all the best details of our big day. From the moment he walked in to take the "getting ready" photos, to capturing the fun on the dance floor, Colin caught all of my favorite moments. Colin and his crew were so friendly and personable, our entire wedding party found themselves chatting with them throughout day. We love our how our wedding photos turned out! He was able to photograph how fun our wedding day was. We constantly look back at our photos because Colin provides an online gallery that makes it easy to view, download and share all our memories. I would choose Colin again in a heart beat and will be recommending him to all my friends.

Reviewed on 11/18/2016 Jody G

Colin and his team are AMAZING. My wife and I planned our wedding from a distance. We live in Denver and got married in Chicago. We started the process about 15 months prior to our wedding and selected Colin shortly thereafter. He was more than happy to talk to us via Face... Read More Time so we could get to know him and so that he could get a feel for what we were looking for. Between that meeting and the actual day of our wedding, Colin was exceptionally responsive to all of our calls and e-mails. Additionally, Colin was instrumental is selecting Chicago city locations for our photography, including our first look and other city locations. The locations he selected were incredible, and really made Chicago part of our wedding, as we strongly desired. During the ceremony and reception, Colin and his team were remarkably both unobtrusive, yet everywhere we needed them to be at just the right time. We didn't have a long list of family formals, and they were also executed flawlessly. Somehow, as if magically, during the reception and dancing, Colin and his team were able to get photos of every guest without having to stage shots or take "old school table shots!" When it came time for delivery, we received our photography on time and as promised with easy access. Colin's service level following the event has been outstanding as well. He is never to busy to answer even the simplest of questions, like "How do I download all of my pictures at once instead of one at a time?" We believe strongly that wedding photography is an investment that we will reap the benefits of for the rest of our lives. If you look at wedding photography the same way we do - as an investment and not as a "necessary expense," you will find out that choosing Colin nets an incredible return on your investment. We had no doubts after selecting Colin that we would be pleased with our choice, but now, after viewing our photographs (all 800 of them), I can tell you that I am truly astounded by the quality of his work and the attention to detail of his entire team. Colin's value far exceeds the very fair price we paid for his services. Not only is he exceptionally professional, but he is also so friendly and engaging that our guests commented repeatedly how amazing our photographer was. We absolutely recommend Colin, without any reservation what so every. Simply, Colin was everything we had hoped he would be, and much much more. Please stop reading this review and go hire him now!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Erin K

We used Jordan Avery from Colin Lyons Photography and she was amazing. She was fun, professional, easy to work with, and helped manage our schedule throughout the day. When we got our photos back, we were shocked. Jordan captured every moment and every detail beautifully. I... Read More highly recommend Colin Lyons Photography and photographer Jordan Avery.

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Bree K

There are not enough positive words in the dictionary to describe my experience with the one and only Colin Lyons. From our initial meeting I knew that he was meant to be our wedding photog. He was super easy to talk to, paid attention to and cared about everything we said... Read More (even the non wedding related things!), communicated better than any thing I've every experienced before, was full of great ideas/suggestions, and most importantly, did exactly what we wanted, how we wanted. The day of our wedding, he was on location scoping out great photo op spots before the bride was even halfway there! My husband and I were, and continue to be, blown away by what a great experience we had with Colin. Our wedding guests raved about how wonderful he and his associate were and our entire bridal party was blown away with how easy and fun of a time they had taking a million photos! Our experience with him was the best because that's just what he is... genuinely THE BEST!!!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Katie N

Colin was absolutely fantastic to work with! He was extremely friendly, personable, professional, responsive and knowledgeable on where to photograph in Chicago. We felt so comfortable with him and he really got to know us as a couple and captured our personality in the... Read More engagement photo shoot. He had GREAT location recommendations and never made us feel pressured on time (we even went home to change and pick up our dog). He also photographed us with our puppy and he was a total pro. We highly recommend Colin; he helped make our photo shoot so fun and effortless, and we had a great time with him! He also did us a total favor by expediting our photo proofs so we would have them in time to make an engagement photo book for our wedding. THANK YOU SO MUCH COLIN!!!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Alek I

Colin is amazing!! Colin photographed our wedding in June 2016, and I can't say enough wonderful things about him and the pictures he took. My husband and I met with several photographers, but when we met Colin and saw his work, we instantly knew that he was the right... Read More photographer. From the engagement shoot to the day of the wedding, Colin put us at ease and just made everything fun. He effortlessly interacted with our guests and family and captured pictures that look natural, in the moment, and amazing. Colin also brings a photo booth to the wedding and guests can email the pictures directly to themselves. It was a huge hit, our guests loved it. Colin was so great to work with and we couldn't be happier with our wedding pictures! I Strongly recommend Colin!!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Joe D

We could not have asked for a better photographer for our wedding. Colin has an extraordinary talent for being very personable with the people that he photographs while using his technical knowledge and creativity to capture people in their best moments in a beautiful style.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Patrick D

Planning a wedding is a series of difficult choices, each one harder than the last. Let this choice be easy. Hire Colin. He's there to answer questions, go over options, help the day run smoothly, offer some planning advice (if wanted), and most importantly take phenomenal... Read More pictures. Hiring Colin was easily the best decision my wife and I made when planning our wedding. I could go on for days about why- from getting a special needs groomsman to pose for pictures- and even smile- to keeping caffeinated mints on hand for when energy levels dipped (as well as having an almost supernatural artistic eye)- but it boils down to one absolute fact. Do yourself a favor, pick Colin Lyons Wedding Photography for your wedding.

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Mandy M

Colin Lyons photography is hands down the best wedding photography I have ever seen. He shot my sister's wedding a few years ago and the results were amazing. When I got engaged in 2015 Colin was the first vendor I reached out to. I'm not kidding, I booked him before my venue,... Read More caterer, everything. I asked him for a list of dates he was available so I could plan around him. My photos were perfect. I cannot think of any other adjective to describe them..... PERFECT! I cannot tell you how often after the wedding I heard "your wedding photos were the best I've ever seen!" It is icing on the cake that Colin is so easy to get along with. He is so professional and truly listened to how I wanted my wedding shot. I will always consider him a friend and I cannot recommend him enough! Colin Lyons Photography is the perfect photographer for your big day!

Reviewed on 9/02/2016 Casey B

Colin is the absolute hands down best wedding photographer and you aren't going to get anyone better! He photographed our wedding in June 2016 and we were blown away at how well they turned out. We found Colin through some friends of mine who used him for their wedding. We loved... Read More their pics so much and his website that we gave him a call. Our top priority was to have awesome wedding photo's and we were so lucky we chose Colin! Colin is very professional but also does an extremely amazing job at keeping everything fun and makes you feel at ease. My wife and I were laughing the entire time we were with Colin, from the detailed planning over a couple beers, to the in the moment smiling for the camera. We wanted our pictures to stand out and we were not disappointed! Everything was so creative and artistic we could not be happier! If you are looking for a wedding photographer I would highly recommend Colin and his amazing team! There is a reason why all of Colin's reviews have 5 stars with nothing but amazing things to say about him. Everything he does really is second to none and the recognition for his work is very well deserved!! Not only did we love our pictures but we loved working with Colin, he made our big day even more special than it already was.

Reviewed on 9/01/2016

Being fairly new to the area, I relied heavily on vendor recommendations through sites like The Knot, Wedding Wire, and even Yelp when choosing a photographer for my wedding – and I must say, the stellar reviews on the sites were spot on! Colin was not available on my wedding... Read More day, so he suggested Jordan. Jordan did a wonderful job and was a delightful to have around on our big day. She was attentive to any shot requests we had, but also to the vision to capture shots that we didn’t. In addition, throughout the planning process Colin and Jordan were wonderful. They we both very patient in answering all my questions, and worked with me to find the package that captured what I wanted while also working within my budget. We perhaps could have used a little more direction during the engagement shoot (though I know some couples don’t need this), but the wedding pictures were everything I had hoped they would be! Overall I would definitely recommend Colin Lyons Photography.

Reviewed on 8/31/2016

Photography was one of the most important things to me for my wedding day, and I am so grateful we were able to book Colin to shoot our wedding! He really is the best photographer in the Chicago area and his work completely speaks for itself! He is incredibly talented and has... Read More such an eye for amazing photos. We were so impressed from the beginning working with Colin. He took time to get to know us and the things that were most important to us for our wedding day, he came early and stayed late to capture every moment of our most important day. He was very flexible with us to meet and go over all of our preferences. He had the most artistic ideas, plans, and suggestions for the day, but also really thrived on the spontaneity and surprises on the actual wedding day. My only suggestion to future brides would be to book him way far in advance! Someone else with snag him for your wedding day if you don't!! We were lucky enough to catch him for our day in time! :)

Reviewed on 1/18/2016 Anne S

THE BEST wedding photographer experience I have ever had!!! I was a bridesmaid 7 times before becoming a bride...so I have taken a LOT of wedding photos in my life...Colin is by far the best to work with. He is so much fun...from our engagement shoot to the last hour of our... Read More reception...and even after that. He is very professional but also has a great sense of humor which made the busy wedding day stress-free. He met with us a week before the wedding to go over our "desired" shots for the day and provided great advice on small details that made the day go that much smoother. And the photos are amazing!!!! I am picking out my album and having the HARDEST time narrowing down the shots...he and his assistant captured every moment...every detail. Then a few months later when he sent us the link to the photos, I of course had some questions here and there and he always responds right away! Overall...having Colin capture our wedding was one of the best decisions we made to date! We will definitely be using him again in the future!!!

Reviewed on 12/12/2015 Kristen H

Colin is the best! He was immediately my favorite, after looking up photographers online, based on his portfolio and I was thrilled when he was available for my wedding day. He was so wonderful to work with in addition to taking amazing photos. He met with my husband and I a... Read More few times before our wedding and my husband instantly liked him. Colin is personable but not high pressure. He doesn't try to sell you but rather lets his work speak for itself and I appreciated that. From the engagement session photo shoot to getting the links of photos after the wedding Colin has been great to work with. When my husband and I didn't want to reschedule our engagement photo session due to rain Colin made it work and we got some awesome photos. The day of the wedding Colin was wonderful. We went all around the city with him and his assistant photographer and he made it so fun (he even had hand warmers for us) while taking AMAZING photos of us. Before the wedding he even helped wipe down my dress since we had gone around the city before the wedding. This was definitely not part of his responsibilities but it was super helpful. The photo booth that he brought to the wedding was also a huge hit. Go with Colin, his photos are incredible and are a great value given the service he provides, you will not regret it!

Reviewed on 11/09/2015

Colin and his team were amazing to work for our wedding. We first had our engagement photoshoot with Colin and the pictures turned out GREAT! He has such an eye for cool ideas and makes the shoot fun. Colin and his team were with us from start to finish and we had a blast... Read More sharing our wedding day with them. They truly captured all of the key moments. If you haven't already booked with Colin, DO IT NOW. You will not regret your decision, the absolute best hands down.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 elizabeth S

Wow, best ever is right! Me (the non-photogenic bride) and my now husband (the extremely photogenic groom) quickly decided that high quality photography was one of our top wedding priorities. From the moment we first spoke to Colin, we were immediately at ease. He's the wedding... Read More photographer trifecta -- fine art background, amazing experience/portfolio, and a great personality. We currently live in LA, and Colin made coordinating the Chicago engagement session a breeze. The engagement session photos turned out fantastic, making us even more confident that we made the perfect decision for our wedding. The day of the wedding Colin and his team were on time and super organized -- they were quite amazing at keeping us and our bridal party on time for our first look and photos prior to the ceremony. For reference, our ceremony was at Holy Family and our reception was at Salvage One. While very professional, Colin was also so fun and easy-going to be around all day. He is one of those vendors that you more want as a guest at your wedding. His assistants are equally wonderful. The photos were delivered on time and were absolutely amazing! We love the "photo journalism" style that Colin and his team have mastered -- he captured so many seemingly small moments, that were actually our fondest memories of the day. I was confident before receiving the photos that we would have amazing shots of the groom (note previous reference to being photogenic) and our friends and family -- Colin definitely delivered. I was so excited to see that there were so many fantastic shots of me (note previous reference to being not photogenic). Thanks Colin! Also.... we just learned that Colin is recently engaged himself. Congrats!!! Colin, only one problem... who is going to capture your own wedding, when you are the best photographer around?!?

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Shaunté N

Colin is the best in the business! The photos were absolutely amazing! He captured every moment so perfectly.

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

I was the groom in the wedding and everything was perfect. Colin had plans in place for sun, rain, wind everything which is something that a professional plans for to remain a professional. He was willing to stay around and take a few extra pics, which was really great because... Read More some of the best ones happened at unexpected times. I refer him to all my friends as they take the next step in their life. Highly recommended.

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Hong Z

Colin is truly a great artist!! I loved his work so much that I booked my wedding date based on his availability. I want perfect pictures for the wedding day and I know Colin is the one who can deliver. We had several meeting and countless emails and phone calls before the big... Read More day. We coordinated everything from Chicago, and he arrived in New York a day early for our wedding, just so he can take a look at the church and plan out the timeline for pictures the next day. During the ceremony, I barely noticed that he was there. He captures all the important moments, and every single photo is amazing!! We got so many compliments from family and friends. I would recommend Colin to any bride.

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Rachel S

We hired Colin Lyons to shoot our engagement photos and our wedding day. And he delivered amazingly on both accounts. The engagement shoot was the perfect way for us to get to know him and vice versa. It also gave him a chance to understand the types of things we wanted from our... Read More pictures for our wedding day. During the planning process he was very responsive, always answering our questions and helping us plan our day of wedding photo schedule. Colin and his entire team were great the day of the wedding and perfectly captured every moment of the best day of my life. He helped corral our families to get the family formals done quickly so we could get back to our cocktail hour and our guests. He also made sure to capture great candid photographs of all aspects of our wedding - from cocktail hour to late night dancing. And his unique photo booth setup was a hit with all of our guests - from both the quality of the images to the fact that we had the complete set of photos the day after our wedding. We got so many compliments from our friends and family on the quality of our final photos - Colin did a great job retouching all our photos and picking out the best from thousands of photographs that he and his assistants took that day. He took time and care to deliver a great product. He was simply - the best!

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Julia F

From our first meeting with Colin Lyons we knew that we would be well taken care of and that we were in the hands of the ultimate professional. He was super responsive to all of our questions and ideas. He has truly an artistic eye and we LOVE our engagement and wedding photos... Read More as he captured our personalities and excitement. He was such a joy to have around on our big day. He seemed to be everywhere at once and caught every moment that we'll cherish forever. We received the pictures back sooner than we anticipated and they were fantastic! He is simply the best wedding photographer out there.

Colin Lyons

About my work: I grew up as a photographer and have never looked back. Photography provides me with a means to live while allowing me to explore my interests. I love my career. Being a wedding photographer allows me to be a part of the lives of you, my clients. I am happiest when I feel as though I shoot beside you as both a photographer and as a person you know. It's a perfect symbiosis; in my life, work is a word that means to create. I love to shoot my work, and attend weddings as your photographer. I look forward to hearing from you. Contact me today to check availability for your date.

Start a Conversation!