Striking Photography

Let's create and capture some of the best moments of your life. Your wedding is an emotional experience, and your photographer should enhance it. Let's focus on creating your fantastic day: love, celebration, and joy. Only then can we create exceptional wedding photographs. We create images ranging from photojournalism and traditional family portraiture to stunning magazine-style images. Our style molds to fit your wedding's needs. It is not one style, but rather a mix of aesthetics that embrace everything your wedding has to offer.

Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

182 W Lake St , Chicago, IL Chicago Metro (312) 285-4533

Simply the Best!

Reviewed on 10/26/2012 Jaclyn D

I found Colin online and was immediately attracted to his style of photography. The photos looked both traditional and non-traditional with fashionable edge! After I booked Colin he came out to my home to review the wedding day agenda and noted all of the things that were very... Read More important to me on the "big day", great to see. It was also nice to get to know Colin personally before the wedding. He has a great personality, good sense of humor, and is fun to be around. On the day of, Colin arrived 30 minutes early, another plus, and started to shoot. Colin took so many great photos of "little things" while getting ready that I didn't even recall. We all know how stressful those moments can be! Colin and his assistant were absolutely wonderful. They took every shot that I requested and then some. He has an artistic eye and is a great photographer. I would recommend Colin to every bride out there, he is simply the best! And, I also agree with the rest, call asap for he books up fast!

Stop Looking Now....Colin is a sure thing!

Reviewed on 8/01/2013 Gina O

We worked with Colin this past November and are thrilled with how the pictures turned out! I got his name from a friend who had used him months prior and after meeting him, knew it was a match. I have a fairly large outspoken family so I needed someone who would be able to... Read More manage the crowd and not be overwhelmed in the process. Colin was perfect and remained calm and in control the entire day which allowed me to focus on being in the moment. He was diligent about making sure we got the “picture list” taken care of but more importantly he captured so many real moments and emotions throughout the day. He is truly one of the best and in the end we could not be happier with the pictures. We literally have soooo many great options (about 1,000 pictures) and now my husband gives me hard time about how many framed pictures we have in the condo from our wedding. I think it’s a good problem to have I’ve also received a ton of compliments on our pictures from friends and family over the past few months. Colin in one of the best out there so I would not hesitate to book him if he’s available. His laid back personality will keep you calm and relaxed during your busy day and trust me you will be very impressed with the end result! PS. I was also very happy with our engagement shoot which captured a bunch of fun city shots. And it allowed us the chance to get to know Colin a little better. I recommend doing this as well and Colin knows of a ton of great spots!

the best in the business!

Reviewed on 1/02/2013 Lindsay H

Colin Lyons and assistant Elena Bazini do such a wonderful job and will make your wedding photos reflect the perfection of your special day! My husband and I were lucky enough to have these two shoot our rehearsal dinner, pre wedding, ceremony and reception photos all which are... Read More as beautiful as I remember the day being. Their comfortable style and easy to work with attitudes show that Colin Lyons photography is the best in the business!

Reviewed on 11/16/2017 Kate M

We can't even begin to describe how wonderful Colin, Jordan, Clay, and Ian were for our wedding! If you are looking for photographers who know how to capture those special 'in the moment' split second expressions of happiness, this is your crew. Very attentive to our interests... Read More while also giving expert suggestions to capture our wedding day. Thanks again! Kate & Paul

Reviewed on 10/27/2017 Jake N

Colin was great to work with before, during, and after our wedding. Definitely one of the best decisions we made! Colin and his team were very flexible, accommodating, and fit right in with our wedding party. The pictures are great as well. Thanks!

Reviewed on 10/26/2017 Jennie E

One of the best decisions we made in planning our wedding was choosing Colin as our wedding photographer. As other reviewers have said, he not only took amazing images of the day, he was a pleasure to work with. He was very helpful in planning and was a calm, enjoyable, but... Read More unobtrusive presence the day of the wedding. He also knew how to work around problems. The day of our engagement shoot was cold and rainy. He found a way to take wonderful indoor shots and then get us outside between raindrops for some incredible photos. So when it poured rain our entire wedding day, I had no worries; Colin could handle it. And he did! Colin is a true artist, but knows that this is YOUR wedding and he is going to help get the images that mean the most to you. He also has helpful tips, as someone who has seen many, many weddings. He truly loves what he does and that shines through in every aspect of his business. Jordan was also there for our wedding day and was a pleasure to work with. As it happens, Colin's other associate, Clay, shot my sister's wedding just months earlier and her photos are equally wonderful and personal. Colin Lyons Wedding Photography is one of the best around.

Reviewed on 10/26/2017 Colleen A

A family friend referred Colin to me and when I saw her photos I was blown away and knew I needed to work with him! We loved working with Colin for our engagement photos and wedding. I hadn't planned on doing engagement photos, but ended up changing my mind and Colin was so... Read More accommodating and we had such a great time taking them. He really listens to what you are looking for and they turned out beautiful. The day of the wedding he was calm, cool and collected which is something I really appreciated. He got all the shots we were hoping for and the pictures turned out absolutely beautiful. I would definitely recommend using Colin he is certainly the best!!

Reviewed on 10/25/2017 Sally H

Colin was the best decision we made with our wedding planning! He did an amazing job making us feel comfortable and capturing those candid, special moments among our family and friends. We have gorgeous engagement, rehearsal dinner, and wedding day photos to show for it. He even... Read More curated beautiful wedding albums for us that literally bring tears of joy to my eyes whenever I look at them. We couldn't be happier with his work! :)

Reviewed on 10/24/2017 Sara W

My husband and I loved working with Colin and his team, and we are just so thrilled with how our photos turned out from our wedding. They were the best! We picked Colin because of how well he photographs color and light, the pricepoint was right what we were looking for, and we... Read More also liked his style with candids, which was something that was important to us but not a dealbreaker. We could not be more pleased. Some of my all-time favorite shots are actually the black and white portraits, and I absolutely loved the sense of humor Colin and his team had with capturing some memorable moments on the dancefloor. Every time I look through our photos, the candids and action shots take me right back. We got married on New Year's and in the gallery you can tell the minute the clock struck midnight bc of there is a cluster of smiles, hugs, cheers, and kisses and it's like we're back in the moment. Colin and his team were on their game the whole night. The pictures were just amazing from day to night, indoor to outdoors, family formals to bridal party to photo booth. Pro. Tip: If Colin has shot a wedding in your venue, which is likely, he will share a gallery with you so you can get an idea of how he shoots in that space, it's so helpful! In terms of the package - I highly recommend including the engagement shoot, it's so helpful to get to know Colin's style, become comfortable in front of the camera and with Colin, as well as give him feedback before the wedding. I also FIVE STAR HIGHLY RECOMMEND the photo booth - that lighting makes everyone glow! Price point wise, we were very happy. It's nervewrecking picking a photographer and if I can save a couple even a little bit of worry, I will say to just pick Colin. Colin was both affordable and worth every penny. We were a LONG wedding (12 hrs), and the quality of photos remained excellent throughout the day. Lastly, working with Colin was a pleasure. He goes out of his way to get to know you as a couple, including casual meetups for coffee or drinks leading up to the wedding, and he's very attentive. He checked in frequently in the weeks leading up to the wedding and his team was on their game - they even helped keep us on schedule the day of. Go with Colin, he's the best!

Reviewed on 10/24/2017 Judy H

I cannot say enough good things about Colin. He was by far my favorite vendor to work with for our wedding and the easiest to work with as well. He was so personable, professional, and flexible with everything. For our engagement photos, he brought a second photographer and... Read More they went all around the city with us to make sure we had as many gorgeous pictures as we could get. He gave advice along the wedding planning journey: recommendations of other vendors, how to create a timeline for the day, how to get the perfect sparkler picture, etc. A few days before the wedding, we met in person to discuss all of the details for the day of the wedding. When that day came, he showed up with two additional photographers, Clay and Dan (I was only supposed to have one additional). All three of them were amazing. They fit right in with the wedding, discretely taking pictures while getting along so well with our guests. Everyone was asking me about them and complimenting how great they were. His pictures are beautiful. I honestly don’t think I have seen better. He does a mix of candid and posed, but I personally love the candid shots more because he captures the moment so perfectly. He also gets you your pictures back quickly – it was about a month for our engagement photos and two months for our wedding photos. I have absolutely no regrets working with Colin and would not hesitate to do so again. I HIGHLY recommend him to others.

Reviewed on 10/24/2017 Kelley G

Colin and his team were absolutely amazing!! Definitely one of the BEST vendor choices we made for our wedding (June 2017). Not only were literally all of the photos absolutely gorgeous, but he was so fun and pleasant to work with. Somehow he managed to capture over 1500 photos... Read More of us and our guests, however we never felt like he or the other photographer were imposing on any special moments. We used him for our engagement photos which was a nice way to get to know him beforehand. He was always very responsive. We also did the photo both which our guests had SO much fun with! Thank you Colin for capturing our special day with gorgeous pictures that will last forever!!!

Reviewed on 10/24/2017 Lyndsey P

Colin was absolutely wonderful to work with for our wedding. Colin had done the photography for my best friends wedding 4 years ago, and after seeing the beautiful photos he created/captured for her, I knew I wanted him for my wedding too! From the first time we spoke when we... Read More were just looking for a photographer, he was easy to talk to, professional, flexible, and knowledgeable. Colin consistently was in contact with us as our wedding approached, and met with us multiple times to make sure that he understood exactly what type of photography we were looking for (which he also helped us figure out). Colin and his team were amazing to work with throughout our wedding day. From helping calm down an anxious bride when then bridesmaids were running late, to helping the groom tighten his vest, they went above and beyond what a photographer typically does. Colin knew our venue and the city so well that he was able to help us capture fun and unique photos with amazing lighting. Colin and his team captured the most special and beautiful moments from our wedding day/night. They were able to get candids that captured the pure joy and love that was felt throughout our wedding. They also helped create opportunities for fun and amazing photos (for example the sparkler exit). The photo booth was so much fun, and helped create some of our most fun photos. When we received our photos, we were amazed on how all of the photos truly told the story of our wedding and were stunning. The editing that was done made all of the lights and colors look exactly how they did then day of the wedding. It is also amazing that we can have access to our photos forever and share them with any of our family and friends. I could go on forever about how Colin and his team were the absolute best photographers to have at our wedding AND provided us with the most beautiful photos that were now will have forever to remember our wedding.

Reviewed on 10/23/2017 Marissa C

So so happy that Colin and his crew photographed our wedding. They were so organized, professional, and made me and my wedding party feel so welcome. He captured every moment of our wedding and was even able to get an aerial view of the reception. Well done!

Reviewed on 8/31/2017 Joe S

Colin was incredible on all levels. First, he was very responsive to my wife and me throughout the entire process and clear about what his services cost and what he would deliver. Second, Colin was extremely flexible and willing to do whatever he could to accommodate our... Read More preferences. For example, one of the other photo vendors we spoke with said that she would not do our wedding if my wife refused to do a first look before the wedding because there wouldn't be enough time. My wife really didn't want to do a first look beforehand, so this was a deal-breaker. When we asked Colin about the time issue, he said that he would simply make do with whatever time he had and that it wouldn't be an issue. And it wasn't. Third, Colin was a breeze to work with during the actual photo sessions. He is very laid back and made my wife and me feel at ease -- resulting in great pics. One of my wife's bridesmaids had been in several (10+) wedding parties, and she said that Colin was by far the easiest photographer she ever worked with. Finally -- and most importantly -- Colin's pictures were absolutely incredible! From our engagement photos to the wedding pics, all of our friends and family were amazed at the quality and variety of Colin's photos. My wife and I really couldn't recommend Colin highly enough. Our wedding was incredible and we had several amazing vendors, but Colin was the one that we will always recommend to our friends and family!

Reviewed on 5/30/2017 Olivia M

Cannot say enough positive things about Colin both as a photographer and as a person. He was AWESOME to work with...always quick to respond to emails and beyond helpful in assuring he would capture our wedding with the vision we had in mind. He's incredibly funny and has a... Read More great aura about him that makes you feel at ease, making pictures fun and natural. Beyond his amazing personality, he is SO incredibly talented. I feel like the photos he took of our wedding were perfectly customized to us and our vision. He really captures the essence of each couple he shoots! I cannot wait to receive the rest!!!!! One of my most favorite vendors to work with!

Reviewed on 2/11/2017 Jennifer L

Colin is an artist in which you can feel safe letting him do his job. Which means you don't have to be a model and pose to have a great picture. Instead you can enjoy your wedding as he captures the story throughout. Our story started with our engagement shoot. I love... Read More photography unfortunately my husband hates getting his picture taken. Colin has the persona to make people feel comfortable. He took his time and knew just the right places to take the city shots. He gets to know the couple which I appreciate as everyone is interested in something different. I happen to love architecture of Chicago and Colin incorporated that in our pictures. Our engagement pictures were stunning and I chose several pictures for our save the date as one just wasn't enough. We added the rehearsal dinner to our package as I knew I would be getting pulled in all directions the day of the wedding. He sent a team member as he couldn't make it and my guests loved him and invited him down for dinner with us. Although only 2 hours he captured the love and happiness of the weekend. No detail was missed from the menus to the food served and the guests enjoying themselves. It was important that my pictures told a story. Our wedding was in October 2016 which happened to be the World Series and game day here in Chicago with our Cubbies. Although the city was crazy busy Colin took us around town and we felt we were the only ones in the city. Capturing some great shots without the crowds. And the final product looked awesome! I was beyond excited when we received our pictures. It made it very tough to pick just one picture for the thank you card. If you want edgy, professional, stunning photojournalism at its best look know further, Colin Lyons to the rescue! He is a true delight to work with as he captures the moment in his pictures!

Reviewed on 1/29/2017 Rachel R

I should have written this long ago, but better late than never :-) Rob did our wedding back in September and he did an amazing job! I knew he would be great to work with, however, from the moment we first spoke with him. Rob is such a warm, kind, and genuine person. He really... Read More listens to what you want for your big day and is very responsive. Despite our wedding being on a Sunday, Rob had everyone out on the dance floor, having a great time! So many people came up to my husband and I during the wedding to compliment us on our DJ and rave about the music. I would recommend Rob for any wedding. Not only is his pricing fair and affordable, he's such a pleasure to work with!

Reviewed on 12/06/2016 Erika S

We found Colin via an internet search for engagement photos. Colin spent several hours with us running around the city and taking photos at numerous locations. Colin made it so easy for us to hang out and be natural in front of the camera and it showed in our photos. I wanted to... Read More have pictures of us being natural and un-posed that would reflect how we normally look when around each other- and that is what I got. After that day and upon receiving our photos, we knew we needed to have Colin shoot our wedding day. Colin was wonderful. He kept the bridal party on time and moving even though that clearly wasn't his job. He helped ensure I didn't worry about any of that stuff. There are moments from our day that naturally I missed but have heard about from numerous guests. When I got the pictures back, those moments were all in there. I was able to relive all the fun. He also has an awesome photo booth that he can set up! The pictures are all sharp, professional, and wonderful. The only problem I have is that there are so many good ones to choose from. If you are getting married in Chicago, I definitely recommend Colin and his team!

Reviewed on 11/30/2016 Sarah G

Colin was an amazing photographer and was one of the best decisions we made while planning our wedding. A friend of mine used Colin for her wedding and I knew right away that we needed to book him because her photos were absolutely beautiful. From the first time my fiancé and I... Read More met with Colin to talk wedding logistics, I know he would capture all the best details of our big day. From the moment he walked in to take the "getting ready" photos, to capturing the fun on the dance floor, Colin caught all of my favorite moments. Colin and his crew were so friendly and personable, our entire wedding party found themselves chatting with them throughout day. We love our how our wedding photos turned out! He was able to photograph how fun our wedding day was. We constantly look back at our photos because Colin provides an online gallery that makes it easy to view, download and share all our memories. I would choose Colin again in a heart beat and will be recommending him to all my friends.

Reviewed on 11/18/2016 Jody G

Colin and his team are AMAZING. My wife and I planned our wedding from a distance. We live in Denver and got married in Chicago. We started the process about 15 months prior to our wedding and selected Colin shortly thereafter. He was more than happy to talk to us via Face... Read More Time so we could get to know him and so that he could get a feel for what we were looking for. Between that meeting and the actual day of our wedding, Colin was exceptionally responsive to all of our calls and e-mails. Additionally, Colin was instrumental is selecting Chicago city locations for our photography, including our first look and other city locations. The locations he selected were incredible, and really made Chicago part of our wedding, as we strongly desired. During the ceremony and reception, Colin and his team were remarkably both unobtrusive, yet everywhere we needed them to be at just the right time. We didn't have a long list of family formals, and they were also executed flawlessly. Somehow, as if magically, during the reception and dancing, Colin and his team were able to get photos of every guest without having to stage shots or take "old school table shots!" When it came time for delivery, we received our photography on time and as promised with easy access. Colin's service level following the event has been outstanding as well. He is never to busy to answer even the simplest of questions, like "How do I download all of my pictures at once instead of one at a time?" We believe strongly that wedding photography is an investment that we will reap the benefits of for the rest of our lives. If you look at wedding photography the same way we do - as an investment and not as a "necessary expense," you will find out that choosing Colin nets an incredible return on your investment. We had no doubts after selecting Colin that we would be pleased with our choice, but now, after viewing our photographs (all 800 of them), I can tell you that I am truly astounded by the quality of his work and the attention to detail of his entire team. Colin's value far exceeds the very fair price we paid for his services. Not only is he exceptionally professional, but he is also so friendly and engaging that our guests commented repeatedly how amazing our photographer was. We absolutely recommend Colin, without any reservation what so every. Simply, Colin was everything we had hoped he would be, and much much more. Please stop reading this review and go hire him now!

Reviewed on 10/31/2016 Erin K

We used Jordan Avery from Colin Lyons Photography and she was amazing. She was fun, professional, easy to work with, and helped manage our schedule throughout the day. When we got our photos back, we were shocked. Jordan captured every moment and every detail beautifully. I... Read More highly recommend Colin Lyons Photography and photographer Jordan Avery.

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Bree K

There are not enough positive words in the dictionary to describe my experience with the one and only Colin Lyons. From our initial meeting I knew that he was meant to be our wedding photog. He was super easy to talk to, paid attention to and cared about everything we said... Read More (even the non wedding related things!), communicated better than any thing I've every experienced before, was full of great ideas/suggestions, and most importantly, did exactly what we wanted, how we wanted. The day of our wedding, he was on location scoping out great photo op spots before the bride was even halfway there! My husband and I were, and continue to be, blown away by what a great experience we had with Colin. Our wedding guests raved about how wonderful he and his associate were and our entire bridal party was blown away with how easy and fun of a time they had taking a million photos! Our experience with him was the best because that's just what he is... genuinely THE BEST!!!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Katie N

Colin was absolutely fantastic to work with! He was extremely friendly, personable, professional, responsive and knowledgeable on where to photograph in Chicago. We felt so comfortable with him and he really got to know us as a couple and captured our personality in the... Read More engagement photo shoot. He had GREAT location recommendations and never made us feel pressured on time (we even went home to change and pick up our dog). He also photographed us with our puppy and he was a total pro. We highly recommend Colin; he helped make our photo shoot so fun and effortless, and we had a great time with him! He also did us a total favor by expediting our photo proofs so we would have them in time to make an engagement photo book for our wedding. THANK YOU SO MUCH COLIN!!!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Alek I

Colin is amazing!! Colin photographed our wedding in June 2016, and I can't say enough wonderful things about him and the pictures he took. My husband and I met with several photographers, but when we met Colin and saw his work, we instantly knew that he was the right... Read More photographer. From the engagement shoot to the day of the wedding, Colin put us at ease and just made everything fun. He effortlessly interacted with our guests and family and captured pictures that look natural, in the moment, and amazing. Colin also brings a photo booth to the wedding and guests can email the pictures directly to themselves. It was a huge hit, our guests loved it. Colin was so great to work with and we couldn't be happier with our wedding pictures! I Strongly recommend Colin!!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Joe D

We could not have asked for a better photographer for our wedding. Colin has an extraordinary talent for being very personable with the people that he photographs while using his technical knowledge and creativity to capture people in their best moments in a beautiful style.

Colin Lyons

About my work: I grew up as a photographer and have never looked back. Photography provides me with a means to live while allowing me to explore my interests. I love my career. Being a wedding photographer allows me to be a part of the lives of you, my clients. I am happiest when I feel as though I shoot beside you as both a photographer and as a person you know. It's a perfect symbiosis; in my life, work is a word that means to create. I love to shoot my work, and attend weddings as your photographer. I look forward to hearing from you. Contact me today to check availability for your date.