Artistic, Classic, Documentary, Dramatic, Lifestyle, Modern, Vintage

182 W Lake St , Chicago, IL
Chicago Metro

Simply the Best!

Reviewed on 10/26/2012 Jaclyn D

I found Colin online and was immediately attracted to his style of photography. The photos looked both traditional and non-traditional with fashionable edge! After I booked Colin he came out to my home to review the wedding day agenda and noted all of the things that were very... Read More important to me on the "big day", great to see. It was also nice to get to know Colin personally before the wedding. He has a great personality, good sense of humor, and is fun to be around. On the day of, Colin arrived 30 minutes early, another plus, and started to shoot. Colin took so many great photos of "little things" while getting ready that I didn't even recall. We all know how stressful those moments can be! Colin and his assistant were absolutely wonderful. They took every shot that I requested and then some. He has an artistic eye and is a great photographer. I would recommend Colin to every bride out there, he is simply the best! And, I also agree with the rest, call asap for he books up fast!

Stop Looking Now....Colin is a sure thing!

Reviewed on 8/01/2013 Gina O

We worked with Colin this past November and are thrilled with how the pictures turned out! I got his name from a friend who had used him months prior and after meeting him, knew it was a match. I have a fairly large outspoken family so I needed someone who would be able to... Read More manage the crowd and not be overwhelmed in the process. Colin was perfect and remained calm and in control the entire day which allowed me to focus on being in the moment. He was diligent about making sure we got the “picture list” taken care of but more importantly he captured so many real moments and emotions throughout the day. He is truly one of the best and in the end we could not be happier with the pictures. We literally have soooo many great options (about 1,000 pictures) and now my husband gives me hard time about how many framed pictures we have in the condo from our wedding. I think it’s a good problem to have I’ve also received a ton of compliments on our pictures from friends and family over the past few months. Colin in one of the best out there so I would not hesitate to book him if he’s available. His laid back personality will keep you calm and relaxed during your busy day and trust me you will be very impressed with the end result! PS. I was also very happy with our engagement shoot which captured a bunch of fun city shots. And it allowed us the chance to get to know Colin a little better. I recommend doing this as well and Colin knows of a ton of great spots!

the best in the business!

Reviewed on 1/02/2013 Lindsay H

Colin Lyons and assistant Elena Bazini do such a wonderful job and will make your wedding photos reflect the perfection of your special day! My husband and I were lucky enough to have these two shoot our rehearsal dinner, pre wedding, ceremony and reception photos all which are... Read More as beautiful as I remember the day being. Their comfortable style and easy to work with attitudes show that Colin Lyons photography is the best in the business!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Bree K

There are not enough positive words in the dictionary to describe my experience with the one and only Colin Lyons. From our initial meeting I knew that he was meant to be our wedding photog. He was super easy to talk to, paid attention to and cared about everything we said... Read More (even the non wedding related things!), communicated better than any thing I've every experienced before, was full of great ideas/suggestions, and most importantly, did exactly what we wanted, how we wanted. The day of our wedding, he was on location scoping out great photo op spots before the bride was even halfway there! My husband and I were, and continue to be, blown away by what a great experience we had with Colin. Our wedding guests raved about how wonderful he and his associate were and our entire bridal party was blown away with how easy and fun of a time they had taking a million photos! Our experience with him was the best because that's just what he is... genuinely THE BEST!!!

Reviewed on 10/21/2016 Katie N

Colin was absolutely fantastic to work with! He was extremely friendly, personable, professional, responsive and knowledgeable on where to photograph in Chicago. We felt so comfortable with him and he really got to know us as a couple and captured our personality in the... Read More engagement photo shoot. He had GREAT location recommendations and never made us feel pressured on time (we even went home to change and pick up our dog). He also photographed us with our puppy and he was a total pro. We highly recommend Colin; he helped make our photo shoot so fun and effortless, and we had a great time with him! He also did us a total favor by expediting our photo proofs so we would have them in time to make an engagement photo book for our wedding. THANK YOU SO MUCH COLIN!!!

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Alek I

Colin is amazing!! Colin photographed our wedding in June 2016, and I can't say enough wonderful things about him and the pictures he took. My husband and I met with several photographers, but when we met Colin and saw his work, we instantly knew that he was the right... Read More photographer. From the engagement shoot to the day of the wedding, Colin put us at ease and just made everything fun. He effortlessly interacted with our guests and family and captured pictures that look natural, in the moment, and amazing. Colin also brings a photo booth to the wedding and guests can email the pictures directly to themselves. It was a huge hit, our guests loved it. Colin was so great to work with and we couldn't be happier with our wedding pictures! I Strongly recommend Colin!!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Joe D

We could not have asked for a better photographer for our wedding. Colin has an extraordinary talent for being very personable with the people that he photographs while using his technical knowledge and creativity to capture people in their best moments in a beautiful style.

Reviewed on 10/11/2016 Patrick D

Planning a wedding is a series of difficult choices, each one harder than the last. Let this choice be easy. Hire Colin. He's there to answer questions, go over options, help the day run smoothly, offer some planning advice (if wanted), and most importantly take phenomenal... Read More pictures. Hiring Colin was easily the best decision my wife and I made when planning our wedding. I could go on for days about why- from getting a special needs groomsman to pose for pictures- and even smile- to keeping caffeinated mints on hand for when energy levels dipped (as well as having an almost supernatural artistic eye)- but it boils down to one absolute fact. Do yourself a favor, pick Colin Lyons Wedding Photography for your wedding.

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Mandy M

Colin Lyons photography is hands down the best wedding photography I have ever seen. He shot my sister's wedding a few years ago and the results were amazing. When I got engaged in 2015 Colin was the first vendor I reached out to. I'm not kidding, I booked him before my venue,... Read More caterer, everything. I asked him for a list of dates he was available so I could plan around him. My photos were perfect. I cannot think of any other adjective to describe them..... PERFECT! I cannot tell you how often after the wedding I heard "your wedding photos were the best I've ever seen!" It is icing on the cake that Colin is so easy to get along with. He is so professional and truly listened to how I wanted my wedding shot. I will always consider him a friend and I cannot recommend him enough! Colin Lyons Photography is the perfect photographer for your big day!

Reviewed on 9/02/2016 Casey B

Colin is the absolute hands down best wedding photographer and you aren't going to get anyone better! He photographed our wedding in June 2016 and we were blown away at how well they turned out. We found Colin through some friends of mine who used him for their wedding. We loved... Read More their pics so much and his website that we gave him a call. Our top priority was to have awesome wedding photo's and we were so lucky we chose Colin! Colin is very professional but also does an extremely amazing job at keeping everything fun and makes you feel at ease. My wife and I were laughing the entire time we were with Colin, from the detailed planning over a couple beers, to the in the moment smiling for the camera. We wanted our pictures to stand out and we were not disappointed! Everything was so creative and artistic we could not be happier! If you are looking for a wedding photographer I would highly recommend Colin and his amazing team! There is a reason why all of Colin's reviews have 5 stars with nothing but amazing things to say about him. Everything he does really is second to none and the recognition for his work is very well deserved!! Not only did we love our pictures but we loved working with Colin, he made our big day even more special than it already was.

Reviewed on 9/01/2016

Being fairly new to the area, I relied heavily on vendor recommendations through sites like The Knot, Wedding Wire, and even Yelp when choosing a photographer for my wedding – and I must say, the stellar reviews on the sites were spot on! Colin was not available on my wedding... Read More day, so he suggested Jordan. Jordan did a wonderful job and was a delightful to have around on our big day. She was attentive to any shot requests we had, but also to the vision to capture shots that we didn’t. In addition, throughout the planning process Colin and Jordan were wonderful. They we both very patient in answering all my questions, and worked with me to find the package that captured what I wanted while also working within my budget. We perhaps could have used a little more direction during the engagement shoot (though I know some couples don’t need this), but the wedding pictures were everything I had hoped they would be! Overall I would definitely recommend Colin Lyons Photography.

Reviewed on 8/31/2016

Photography was one of the most important things to me for my wedding day, and I am so grateful we were able to book Colin to shoot our wedding! He really is the best photographer in the Chicago area and his work completely speaks for itself! He is incredibly talented and has... Read More such an eye for amazing photos. We were so impressed from the beginning working with Colin. He took time to get to know us and the things that were most important to us for our wedding day, he came early and stayed late to capture every moment of our most important day. He was very flexible with us to meet and go over all of our preferences. He had the most artistic ideas, plans, and suggestions for the day, but also really thrived on the spontaneity and surprises on the actual wedding day. My only suggestion to future brides would be to book him way far in advance! Someone else with snag him for your wedding day if you don't!! We were lucky enough to catch him for our day in time! :)

Reviewed on 1/18/2016 Anne S

THE BEST wedding photographer experience I have ever had!!! I was a bridesmaid 7 times before becoming a I have taken a LOT of wedding photos in my life...Colin is by far the best to work with. He is so much fun...from our engagement shoot to the last hour of our... Read More reception...and even after that. He is very professional but also has a great sense of humor which made the busy wedding day stress-free. He met with us a week before the wedding to go over our "desired" shots for the day and provided great advice on small details that made the day go that much smoother. And the photos are amazing!!!! I am picking out my album and having the HARDEST time narrowing down the shots...he and his assistant captured every moment...every detail. Then a few months later when he sent us the link to the photos, I of course had some questions here and there and he always responds right away! Overall...having Colin capture our wedding was one of the best decisions we made to date! We will definitely be using him again in the future!!!

Reviewed on 12/12/2015 Kristen H

Colin is the best! He was immediately my favorite, after looking up photographers online, based on his portfolio and I was thrilled when he was available for my wedding day. He was so wonderful to work with in addition to taking amazing photos. He met with my husband and I a... Read More few times before our wedding and my husband instantly liked him. Colin is personable but not high pressure. He doesn't try to sell you but rather lets his work speak for itself and I appreciated that. From the engagement session photo shoot to getting the links of photos after the wedding Colin has been great to work with. When my husband and I didn't want to reschedule our engagement photo session due to rain Colin made it work and we got some awesome photos. The day of the wedding Colin was wonderful. We went all around the city with him and his assistant photographer and he made it so fun (he even had hand warmers for us) while taking AMAZING photos of us. Before the wedding he even helped wipe down my dress since we had gone around the city before the wedding. This was definitely not part of his responsibilities but it was super helpful. The photo booth that he brought to the wedding was also a huge hit. Go with Colin, his photos are incredible and are a great value given the service he provides, you will not regret it!

Reviewed on 11/09/2015

Colin and his team were amazing to work for our wedding. We first had our engagement photoshoot with Colin and the pictures turned out GREAT! He has such an eye for cool ideas and makes the shoot fun. Colin and his team were with us from start to finish and we had a blast... Read More sharing our wedding day with them. They truly captured all of the key moments. If you haven't already booked with Colin, DO IT NOW. You will not regret your decision, the absolute best hands down.

Reviewed on 10/26/2015 elizabeth S

Wow, best ever is right! Me (the non-photogenic bride) and my now husband (the extremely photogenic groom) quickly decided that high quality photography was one of our top wedding priorities. From the moment we first spoke to Colin, we were immediately at ease. He's the wedding... Read More photographer trifecta -- fine art background, amazing experience/portfolio, and a great personality. We currently live in LA, and Colin made coordinating the Chicago engagement session a breeze. The engagement session photos turned out fantastic, making us even more confident that we made the perfect decision for our wedding. The day of the wedding Colin and his team were on time and super organized -- they were quite amazing at keeping us and our bridal party on time for our first look and photos prior to the ceremony. For reference, our ceremony was at Holy Family and our reception was at Salvage One. While very professional, Colin was also so fun and easy-going to be around all day. He is one of those vendors that you more want as a guest at your wedding. His assistants are equally wonderful. The photos were delivered on time and were absolutely amazing! We love the "photo journalism" style that Colin and his team have mastered -- he captured so many seemingly small moments, that were actually our fondest memories of the day. I was confident before receiving the photos that we would have amazing shots of the groom (note previous reference to being photogenic) and our friends and family -- Colin definitely delivered. I was so excited to see that there were so many fantastic shots of me (note previous reference to being not photogenic). Thanks Colin! Also.... we just learned that Colin is recently engaged himself. Congrats!!! Colin, only one problem... who is going to capture your own wedding, when you are the best photographer around?!?

Reviewed on 10/21/2015 Shaunté N

Colin is the best in the business! The photos were absolutely amazing! He captured every moment so perfectly.

Reviewed on 10/21/2015

I was the groom in the wedding and everything was perfect. Colin had plans in place for sun, rain, wind everything which is something that a professional plans for to remain a professional. He was willing to stay around and take a few extra pics, which was really great because... Read More some of the best ones happened at unexpected times. I refer him to all my friends as they take the next step in their life. Highly recommended.

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Hong Z

Colin is truly a great artist!! I loved his work so much that I booked my wedding date based on his availability. I want perfect pictures for the wedding day and I know Colin is the one who can deliver. We had several meeting and countless emails and phone calls before the big... Read More day. We coordinated everything from Chicago, and he arrived in New York a day early for our wedding, just so he can take a look at the church and plan out the timeline for pictures the next day. During the ceremony, I barely noticed that he was there. He captures all the important moments, and every single photo is amazing!! We got so many compliments from family and friends. I would recommend Colin to any bride.

Reviewed on 10/19/2015 Rachel S

We hired Colin Lyons to shoot our engagement photos and our wedding day. And he delivered amazingly on both accounts. The engagement shoot was the perfect way for us to get to know him and vice versa. It also gave him a chance to understand the types of things we wanted from our... Read More pictures for our wedding day. During the planning process he was very responsive, always answering our questions and helping us plan our day of wedding photo schedule. Colin and his entire team were great the day of the wedding and perfectly captured every moment of the best day of my life. He helped corral our families to get the family formals done quickly so we could get back to our cocktail hour and our guests. He also made sure to capture great candid photographs of all aspects of our wedding - from cocktail hour to late night dancing. And his unique photo booth setup was a hit with all of our guests - from both the quality of the images to the fact that we had the complete set of photos the day after our wedding. We got so many compliments from our friends and family on the quality of our final photos - Colin did a great job retouching all our photos and picking out the best from thousands of photographs that he and his assistants took that day. He took time and care to deliver a great product. He was simply - the best!

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Julia F

From our first meeting with Colin Lyons we knew that we would be well taken care of and that we were in the hands of the ultimate professional. He was super responsive to all of our questions and ideas. He has truly an artistic eye and we LOVE our engagement and wedding photos... Read More as he captured our personalities and excitement. He was such a joy to have around on our big day. He seemed to be everywhere at once and caught every moment that we'll cherish forever. We received the pictures back sooner than we anticipated and they were fantastic! He is simply the best wedding photographer out there.

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Darcy P

Colin Lyons is the best! My husband and I both agree that choosing Colin and his team to shoot out wedding was the best decision we made while planning our wedding. And let me point out that my husband is a photographer, so he is extra picky about these things. Colin was... Read More punctual, classy, and a joy to be around all day. We have nothing but good things to say about him. Two of our bridesmaids were so impressed they are having him fly out to Florida to shoot their destination wedding.

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Cammy R

Colin Lyons was absolutely wonderful! We received so many compliments on the stunning pictures he took! We have already recommended him to all of our engaged friends!

Reviewed on 10/18/2015 Kelly B

Colin Lyons Photography is AWESOME!!!!! When beginning the search for a wedding photographer, I remembered that I loved someone's wedding pictures that I saw on facebook a couple years ago. I messaged that person and got a glowing recommendation. I immediately set up a meeting... Read More with Colin. From the beginning, Colin was laid-back, open-minded, and flexible. He gave us a winter discount since our wedding was in December. Throughout the planning process, Colin was easy to reach for the random question and squeezed us in for an engagement session when we changed our minds and decided we wanted to do it. He reached out to us to have a meeting a couple weeks before the wedding to discuss logistics and picture requests. Colin was super calm and fun during our engagement session and wedding day. We got our engagement pictures back after 30 days and received SO many compliments on our save-the-dates. We received a wedding preview 30 days after the event and received all the pictures 60 days after the event. We had a slideshow and an awesome website we could send to family and friends where Colin had all the pictures nicely organized into categories. Colin took the best formal and candid pictures!! Colin set up a super fun photo booth at the wedding where guests could plug their email addresses into his iPad and get all the pictures emailed to them that night!!! It was a huge hit! Overall, Colin was super easy (and really fun) to work with, he was professional, and our pictures are amazing!!! I would highly recommend you hire him!

Simply the BEST in the biz!

Reviewed on 10/14/2015 Tye H

Choosing Colin Lyons as our photographer was by far the best decision we made throughout our wedding planning process! Colin was more than just a wedding vendor; he was a supportive, professional, and encouraging part of our special day. His talent is by far one of the best... Read More among the saturated Chicago photography market. The best thing about him is the value - because let's be honest, weddings are created on a budget. Yes, Colin might not be the least expensive option but he is certainly not the most. And we found that the amazing quality of our photos are above and beyond his price!! His photos, his creativity, and editing capabilities are definitely the best we've ever seen. 8 months later, I am still getting compliments about our wedding photos! One of Colin's greatest skills is his ability to capture the "joy" of the day. Upon meeting Colin, he mentioned this to me but I had no idea what that would actually translate to. Now I do. Our wedding photos literally transport you back to the day and time, and bring all of emotions with it - the happy tears, the joy, the excitement. It's truly incredibly. In addition, Colin's flexibility and patience is unmatched. I had a lot of requests and he was able to exactly replicate the vision I was looking for. He demonstrated openness to my feedback and opinions and made the process feel collaborative. Colin is someone I respect tremendously and am incredibly grateful I've met through this process. Thank you for documenting the greatest day of our lives in the best way possible! We couldn't have dreamed for a better outcome.

Colin Lyons

About my work: I grew up as a photographer and have never looked back. Photography provides me with a means to live while allowing me to explore my interests. I love my career. Being a wedding photographer allows me to be a part of the lives of you, my clients. I am happiest when I feel as though I shoot beside you as both a photographer and as a person you know. It's a perfect symbiosis; in my life, work is a word that means to create. I love to shoot my work, and attend weddings as your photographer. I look forward to hearing from you. Contact me today to check availability for your date.

Start a Conversation!