Crystal Mountain

Thompsonville, MI

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

Northern Michigan's Wedding Destination

Crystal Mountain has carefully combined the Midwest's finest accommodations, the style and elegance of a first-class destination and the beauty of northern Michigan. From mountain-top ceremonies to receptions for up to 350, we'll ensure that every detail matches your vision for the perfect day.

• Outdoor - Covered

Guest Capacity

Ballroom, Garden, Hotel, Mountain, Restaurant, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning

12500 Crystal Mountain Dr., Thompsonville, MI

Reviewed on 6/01/2016

We just had our wedding there on May 14, 2016 and had an amazing experience at Crystal Mountain. It rained and snowed on our day and the staff was amazing at moving the event indoors and making sure everything went smoothly. The food tasted amazing! I'm a picky eater and they... Read More catered to all the food changes I requested. David Sparks is awesome and was the best coordinator! Carmen was also super helpful right from my first phone call to my 100th!

2016-06-07T13:18:22 Response from the vendor

Crystal- Thank you so much for taking the time to review our venue! Our team loved working with you and making your day as smooth as possible! We hope that you visit us soon, Congratulations! -Crystal Mountain Wedding Team

Perfect for a Winter Wedding Wonderland

Reviewed on 6/26/2015 Katherine D

We had our January 2015 wedding - both ceremony and reception - at Crystal Mountain Resort, and it was MAGIC. My husband and I have attended work conferences there and have always enjoyed them. When we decided on a winter wedding, we decided to do winter all the way, and... Read More Crystal was the obvious choice. We could not possibly write enough glowing things about the wedding & reception team, the entire Crystal staff across the resort, the accommodations, the food & drink, the restaurants, the ceremony & reception sites, and the spa. Everyone and everything about a Crystal wedding is exceptional. Amanda Milarch and Megan Campbell-Slade were so helpful in making our event happen. Every special request we had (decorations, special beer for the reception, etc) was met with an "Absolutely, we can make that happen!" The cabin we stayed in, where I got ready, was so cute and perfectly situated for winter photos (someone knew what they were doing when they put us in Cherry Blossom!). Our rehearsal dinner was outstanding - our special menu, the staff, the location (Lake Harbor & Hudson Bay). Our ceremony in Northern Lights was magical, and our reception in Northwest Territories was the best celebration. Breakfast the following morning at the Thistle was just what we hoped for. Twelve to fourteen inches of snow fell from the time our rehearsal started until the next day before the wedding. Crystal offered our guests discounted rates on rooms to come up the night before and beat the storm. Our porch and steps and sidewalks were shoveled before we could even ask. The snow unfortunately kept some guests from attending, but it made for a beautiful setting, and the Crystal staff made a challenging situation so much better. We attended a meeting for work at Crystal Mountain just three weeks after our wedding, and we were greeted by so many staff members who worked to make our wedding wonderful. It felt like seeing family again. We would, without a doubt, recommend Crystal Mountain resort to any bride and groom, whether planning a winter or summer wedding. We can't wait to go back again and again to that beautiful place and to see everyone there.

2015-06-27T08:46:21 Response from the vendor

Kate, thank you so much for such a thoughtful review. Your winter wedding was one that we will never forget, and the day was truly magical! Thank you again, we hope to see you soon! Cheers to you and Bob!!

My Dream Wedding!!

Reviewed on 6/17/2015 Katie W

Crystal Mountain is gorgeous! We loved the whole resort and there were so many fun things for our guests to do there before attending our evening wedding! We were able to have a "destination wedding" without having to go too far. We made a whole weekend out of it and had our... Read More rehearsal right at Crystal Mountain the day before. We had a mountain top ceremony and our reception was right there as well. Our ceremony was SO beautiful, all of our guests loved riding the chairlift! No one had to worry about driving after our reception because there were so many different room options and prices available that most everyone stayed there. The Crystal Mountain staff did an amazing job and they were very flexible and accommodating for all of our requests throughout the whole planning process. Julie made our whole planning period so much better because she handled everything, answered all of our questions and planned things with us down to a very detailed time schedule of our wedding day. It was wonderful to work with her and she definitely made things much easier for us!

2015-06-17T12:46:12 Response from the vendor

Hi Katie! Thank you so much for allowing us to be a part of your special day! We loved every moment as well, celebrating with you and your family. Please come see us soon!! Cheers!! - The Crystal Mountain Wedding Team

Reviewed on 7/25/2016 Samantha B

Overall, we had a fairytale wedding at Crystal Mountain. Everything was set up to look amazing and we had the best weekend. Throughout the whole weekend, the staff was very knowledgeable, kind, and caring towards my husband and I, we felt very loved! The venue itself is... Read More beautiful and our guests loved riding the chairlift as an additional gift from Crystal Mountain. We had our ceremony at the Art Park, which was exactly the fairytale setting we were looking for. Our reception was at the MountainView Lodge Tent and fit our guests perfectly. We did run into a few situations along the way with Crystal Mountain. Many of our guests began booking rooms/condos in advance, including my Dad. However, when the wedding weekend came he was not given the condo that he initially booked to sleep 15. Instead our family had to be split up among two houses which was very disappointing and not the way we wanted it, so unfortunately make sure you call them many times to check and make sure your reservations are correct if you booked them over the phone. There was also a situation with our rehearsal time. We weren't told that there was an event taking place in the Art Park on that day, but instead were told we could have our rehearsal at 5:00, so that is what we told our guests months in advance so they could book flights and lodging options. About 2 weeks before the wedding, we were told we needed to move our rehearsal time up to 4:00, which meant our guests would not have any time to get ready once they checked in their rooms. We hoped for early check-ins, but many of them were not able to get in their rooms early or had problems with their rooms keys. It all ended up working out fine, but many of our guests were frustrated with rushing around Friday evening. Crystal Mountain comes with a coordinator, which I thought would be great because we were planning our wedding from where we live in Texas. We booked Crystal Mountain a year in advance and throughout the year we were juggled between 3 different coordinators. There seems to be a high turn-over rate, which is typical with the industry, but a little stressful for a bride. We hired Chelsea Chapin, separate from Crystal Mountain, as our day-of planner and she was AMAZING and helped with the communication between Crystal Mountain. David Sparks ended up being our coordinator for Crystal and he did a great job and was super friendly, so we're very happy with who we ended up working with! Carmen Howard also did a wonderful job helping to coordinate makeup appointments for 12 of my bridal party girls. Our guests loved the appetizers (coconut shrimp and stuffed mushrooms) and we had semi-good to good reviews for the chicken and beef plated entrees that were served. There was a slight problem with food during our reception -- a few of our guests were not served with the rest of the wedding due to a delay in the kitchen. Our guests loved the bartenders throughout the weekend and Crystal Mountain has a great selection for alcohol choices. David even got us our favorite beer that was not on the list :).

Reviewed on 6/21/2016 Sophie L

We had our wedding here on June 11th, 2016. We had the ceremony and reception outside as well as the rehearsal dinner. We worked with David the past two months before our wedding because the other wedding coordinator left. David went above and beyond for us. We made requests... Read More that Crystal had done previosuly and he made sure everything went without a hitch. The ceremony and reception were both beautiful. Our friends and family traveled from across the US and everyone loved Crystal. It was the perfect location for our wedding :) We couldn't have been happier.

Reviewed on 5/28/2016

My daughter's Crystal Mountain wedding and reception was a "Fairytale" come true! From the moment we arrived for spa treatments to the very last dance at the reception our every need was met by the Crystal Mt. staff. The venue is absolutely beautiful and the staff is so... Read More friendly and helpful. Most of our guests were out of town so it was a perfect destination wedding spot. The pond lawn was a perfect spot for her outdoor wedding. Crystal Mt. allowed us to bring in wine barrels to decorate to go along with her wine theme wedding. The wedding coordinator David took extra special care of our elderly guests who needed assistance. Our banquet captain Stephanie made sure everything was perfect at the reception. I did not have to worry about anything and could sit back and enjoy! A big thank you to everyone at Crystal Mountain for a wonderful wedding and beautiful memories!

2016-06-07T13:39:16 Response from the vendor

Thank you for taking the time to review your daughter's wedding. You're so right, it was a gorgeous day for a beautiful couple. We are happy to hear that our staff was helpful and provided excellent service the remainder of your event.You were a joy... Read Less Read More

Great Experience (Except for the Coordinator)

Reviewed on 1/11/2016 Trisha V

Throughout the process of planning a wedding here, we had great moments and not-so-great moments. There were times that our wedding coordinator was very responsive to my questions/requests, flexible, and went above-and-beyond expectations; however, there were moments during this... Read More process that weren't as smooth. I had times when the wedding coordinator sent delayed responses, gave us wrong information, and wasn't very helpful. In particular, for our rehearsal, we had trusted her to advise on how the logistics of the event would go - where we enter, when would the next bridesmaid/groomsman walk down, how we transition to the cocktail hour, etc. Throughout most of the rehearsal, she wasn't much help and I felt the need to take charge without know what to do. Eventually, after asking question after question, she took lead and made several suggestions without further prompting. Overall, the rehearsal felt disorganized and confusing for all. As for our wedding day, they had forgotten to put the table numbers out on the tables, so nobody knew where they were seating! Luckily, that was the only hitch and it was resolved quickly by our best man. THE REMAING STAFF MEMBERS WERE EXCELLENT! The staff that was in charge of the reception area were very helpful. When we were decorating the night before, they had dimmed the lights for us to "get the full effect." The staff at the spa were very friendly! The hotel staff had taken the liberty to personally deliver our guest bags to anybody who had checked in before we were able to drop off the guest bags to the front desk. The employees in charge of transitioning our chairs from ceremony to reception did a great job and reused our decorations throughout the ceremony area.

2016-02-06T14:56:59 Response from the vendor

Hi Trisha, Thank you for posting a review on The Knot. It is always our hope that your experience is nothing less than amazing at our resort. I apologize that you and your coordinator did not align and that there was miscommunication. You specifically requested... Read Less Read More

Great All Around Venue

Reviewed on 7/15/2015 Natalie H

We held our wedding weekend here. They did our rehearsal dinner (adorable decor and delicious food, outdoor setting, was perfect), our ceremony venue was the mountaintop and guests took the chairlift to the top. I cannot say enough how much everyone enjoyed this! People loved... Read More it! It was one of my favorite parts of the wedding day. We also held our cocktail hour and reception at the base of the mountain in large pavilion tents. Crystal catered the food and went above and beyond to help accommodate our vegan guests-something other venues would not do. Not only that but the food was truly fantastic all weekend. The service is incredibly high quality. If you want an "all inclusive" wedding experience where you can do it all in one place and work with a great team in Megan and Amanda then this is the place for you. The value was great considering I had to work with nearly one vendor and they did it all. Guests thoroughly enjoyed our wedding-it was a beautiful event thanks to Crystal.

2016-01-23T15:35:42 Response from the vendor

Thank you from all our staff! We know how important your meal is to your guests, and it is our main focus to provide what is expected and beyond! We are thrilled that you enjoyed your wedding weekend with us, please visit us soon! :)

Ceremony Location

Reviewed on 9/29/2015 Katie B

We were married at the Art Park located at Crystal Mountain. It is a beautiful location in the woods with a wooden amphitheater. I had so many compliments from our guest. They loved the unique and beautiful setting!

2016-01-23T15:33:34 Response from the vendor

The Art Park is a fairy tale wedding venue, that we are so fortunate to be able to offer our couples! Thank you!

My Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 10/05/2015 Megan S

Crystal Mountain made my dreams come true! I seriously could not have asked for anything more. The service and value they provided from my very first call to Amanda all the way through when we checked out of our room 2 days after our wedding was nothing short of spectacular.... Read More Megan is an amazing planner and our wedding would not have been the same without her help and guidance. The food was SO good and there was plenty to go around! Crystal did our desserts as well, which were delicious! Chef Brian and his staff gave us exactly what we were envisioning including dishes that weren't on the menu as well as vegetarian and vegan options for our guests. Many of our guests told us it was the best wedding with the best food they had ever been to. The biggest decision I had to make the entire weekend was to move our ceremony location due to weather. All I had to do for the rest was SHOW UP! Thank you to the entire team at Crystal!

2016-01-23T15:32:42 Response from the vendor

THANK YOU! It means so much that you would take the time and give kudos to our team. We are beyond thrilled that you enjoyed your time planning your special day with us, and that the entire weekend was all that you expected and more!... Read Less Read More

Fall Wedding 2015

Reviewed on 10/06/2015 Shae L

We had the best experience working with Crystal Mountain! The entire staff worked hard to make my daughter's wedding "the best day ever". Julie Kearns is a fantastic coordinator and went above and beyond to assist us in planning a destination wedding.She helped us to coordinate... Read More interesting events for our guests. We loved the welcome bonfire and the rehearsal dinner was amazing!! The food and presentation for the reception were also awesome. We were proud to have our guests attend the wedding and it went off without a hitch. Amanda and Bridgette were also extremely helpful in helping us book the wedding and with our guests lodging. All in all it was "The best day ever"!

2016-01-23T15:30:58 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for the kind words! We strive to provide the best experience possible for our Crystal couples and their families! We hope you visit us again soon!

Worth it!

Reviewed on 9/27/2015 Katie E

Crystal Mountain provided service above and beyond what we expected. There were some frustrations in the planning process, but on the day of the wedding I didn't have to worry about anything and the staff was so wonderful and attentive. They seemed to anticipate what needed to... Read More be done before we requested assistance, and even provided some services that were not in their contract to provide. Anything is possible at this venue regarding food, decor, service, location, etc. (and because of this, I was literally able to create the exact wedding I have always dreamed of including the ceremony and reception space), but everything that you request comes with a price. I did, however, find it worth it to be able to have all of my guests stay on-site, to have the ceremony and reception in the same location, and to have all of the catering/bar services included with the venue. Overall, I wouldn't have changed anything and am so grateful to the staff for making my wedding day truly perfect.

2015-09-30T11:07:24 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to review our venue! Our team loved working with you and making your day as smooth as possible! We hope that you visit us soon!

Tent Reception

Reviewed on 9/29/2015 Katie B

We had our reception at the outdoor tent located at Crystal Mountain. It was amazing! The staff, food, and grounds were exceptional. I had always wanted an outdoor tent reception, but was nervous because of weather. At Crystal Mountain reserving the tent comes with an alternate... Read More inside venue. We didn't need it, but it was nice to know that was included. The staff does everything they can to make sure your day is perfect! They are so much fun to work with and very accommodating. Plus it was nice to have lodging right there for our guest.

2015-09-30T11:06:44 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your review of the Mountain View Lodge & Pavilion Tent! It is also one of our favorite venues! We loved working with you as well Katie, thank you again! :)

Beautiful & fun

Reviewed on 8/04/2015 Christina D

Everything was amazing. I planned my wedding all the way from Oklahoma since my family was all up in Michigan. Julie, my coordinator was so helpful as was all the staff that is there. I definitely recommend using their preferred vendors. Crystal is a big place and using someone... Read More off that list is nice because they're familiar with the territory and the staff. I definitely think I got my money's worth. Everyone said it was the best wedding they'd ever been to.

2015-09-19T09:16:49 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent wedding! We are thrilled your special day was just how you pictured it, and hope that we see you and your husband soon!

Great Rooms

Reviewed on 7/13/2015 Cassie J

We live in a very small town, where most of the hotels have 20 rooms max. Fortunately, we were able to sign a lodging contract with Crystal Mountain, which gave our guests 10% off their stay. The rooms were beautiful! I booked a suite to stay in the night before my wedding and... Read More my wedding night. My only concern was the panic I experienced when I went to check in. They ultimately put the name under my new name, which was not told to me especially since I booked and paid for it myself without my husband and prior to our wedding (obviously). They eventually found it through the confirmation number, but those 3-5 minutes did not help my nerves!

2015-07-15T15:00:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your review! For weddings, we will place the reservation under your married name and I apologize that you did not know this when you booked! I am glad that you and your guests enjoyed your time on the resort, please... Read Less Read More

Most memorable wedding venue!

Reviewed on 7/15/2015

I cannot say enough about how amazing Crystal Mountain staff and facilities were. The staff was beyond helpful and willing to seek out answers to questions we had during the planning process. My husband and I were extremely pleased with the ceremony on the mountain top, the ski... Read More lift, and our reception. The food was absolutely delicious too! Our guests were also impressed with every detail as well as the hospitality of Crystal Mountain! This is the perfect venue for a memorable wedding!

2015-07-15T14:59:04 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your review! We loved working with you and planning your special day.

Reviewed on 7/09/2015 Paula S

If you want to plan a perfect wedding... this is the place to start. It's beautiful, the accommodations are fantastic, lots of things for guests to enjoy, and the wedding planners are fantastic. Our daughter just got married there on the 4th of July... It was perfect!

2015-07-11T14:16:44 Response from the vendor

Thank you for the kind review! We loved working with your daughter, and new son-in-law! It was a beautiful weekend to celebrate a great couple. We hope that you visit us soon!

Wedding Reception

Reviewed on 6/24/2015 Jocelyn C

They did a great job with great service - very quick to respond and willing to help!

2015-06-24T12:57:18 Response from the vendor

Hi Jocelyn! Thank you so much for your review! Your wedding was beautiful, and we enjoyed planning with you as well. We hope to see you and Chris soon! Cheers!!!

Intimate Spring Wedding

Reviewed on 6/21/2015

My husband and I were beyond impressed with Crystal Mountain Resort! We had a very small wedding (about 15 guests) and used the resort's Mountain Top Townhomes as the location for our wedding. The staff took great care of us! Reserving the townhomes with the best mountain view,... Read More allowing early check in for our guests, and delivering gifts and hand written cards to us, signed by every staff member who helped in the process! We held our private reception dinner at The Thistle restaurant. The service and food was amazing! The staff was genuinely happy to be there with us and cared about the quality of their service. We are so happy we chose Crystal Mountain Resort for our wedding location! Our day was perfect! And now we have a beautiful place to return to every year for our anniversary!

2015-06-23T10:12:22 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words. We loved hosting your intimate wedding, and hope that you will visit us soon!

honeymoon

Reviewed on 10/08/2014 Anna S

we did a staycaution at crystal and the serivce was great

Great Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 10/01/2014 Lindsey B

Beautiful mountain top ceremony and outdoor reception. Megan was great to work with, awesome communication. Service was great. The whole weekend was amazing and staff were all so helpful. I highly recommend this venue.

Crystal Mountain Resort and Spa; Wedding Venue

Reviewed on 9/30/2014 Kaelyn G

Awesome wedding venue! Aside from the gorgeous property that is hard not to fall in love with right away. The staff is extremely accommodating. They respond in a timely manner, and worked perfectly with all my other vendors ( DJ, officiate, photographer, florist). I had some... Read More bumps along the way, which is common while planning a wedding. But I wouldn't have considered any other place to spend our special day!

Perfect Venue with Tailored Service

Reviewed on 9/29/2014 Jennifer R

The staff is very attentive, on-task, flexible with all choices, you felt you were the only wedding that day. The open bar and appetizer's were worth every penny. The dinner at the tasting was great, the dinner at the wedding was average. Crystal Mountain is convenient for a... Read More wedding because everything is on site for single folks, families and wedding party needs. Fun amenities: golf course, pool, spa, alpine slide, music on the top of gondola for free. You did not have to entertain your guests. It was fun to run into your our guests at Crystal Mtn. Crystal Mtn. is near Sleeping Bear Sand Dunes, Traverse City, Point Betsie Lighthouse/Beach and breweries. Your guests will have plenty to do on and off the resort. The only kicker was the cost of the accommodations but it is your wedding so it's a perfect time to splurge and enjoy the conveniences and amenities that are associated with cost. As an out of state planner, Crystal Mtn was exceptional to work with. Every person we dealt with was top notch making it efficient to plan a wedding.

Dream Wedding Come True!!

Reviewed on 9/25/2014 Alia K

I am from Northern Michigan and was so excited to have my wedding at Crystal Mountain. From the very beginning, it was a flawless experience. I clicked immediately with Megan Slade, my wedding coordinator, who became a as close as a friend after 10 months of planning! After... Read More we secured Crystal Mountain for the venue, I was provided a list of preferred vendors to start with which was a HUGE help! Not only did they give me a list, Megan walked me through her personal favorites and who she thought I might like. She NAILED it because we were thrilled with all vendors! Even though most of our friends and family were within about 30-60 minutes of Crystal Mountain, it became a destination wedding for all of us! My husband and I spent time at the Spa, enjoyed a GORGEOUS outdoor rehearsal dinner with a bonfire, and loved every second of our reception in Northwest Territories. It is truly its own little village and they do an impeccable job there! Here is what made Crystal Mountain stand out: 1) AMAZING service from everyone I worked with from booking spa appointments to hotel suites to every last detail of the wedding 2) Megan was a lifesaver while wedding planning. She was always available to help plan. The night of the reception, I had forgotten my garter in the hotel room. She took our room key and went and got it for me. It was so nice to not have to ask a bridesmaid or family member to go! 3) The food was perfect. We have had so many guests tell us how good the food was, which is can be a challenge when planning a wedding for 175 people! 4) The wait staff met the wedding party at the door with a plate of apps, a tray full of wine glasses, and a case of beer for our guys! The best part was it was Megan's doing, nothing i needed to ask for! The extra help and ideas on a day like that is exactly what I needed. This is just one example of the many reasons I worried about nothing on my wedding day. 5) Finally it was a dream come true. I wanted a beautiful, elegant, over the top wedding and with the recommended vendors, amazing venue, fantastic staff, and attention to detail my dream wedding came true!

Best. Wedding. Ever.

Reviewed on 6/12/2014 Molly R

If you choose Crystal Mountain for your wedding/reception you will not be disappointed! From the first time we walked in to see the location until we went to bed on our wedding night, I was so impressed with the service and staff. The customer service is outstanding, our... Read More wedding was perfect and I can't say enough good things about it. So GO! Get married there! Now!!

2014-09-23T11:59:59 Response from the vendor

We loved hosting your special day! Thank you very much for the kind words!