Book Your Wedding with Glensheen Mansion

A BACKYARD IN DULUTH, MN

For some engaged couples, a wedding venue that combines natural beauty and history makes the ideal option. Spouses-to-be in northern Minnesota appreciate Gleensheen, the historic Congdon Estate owned by the University of Minnesota in Duluth, situated on the shores of Lake Superior. Spread out over 12 scenic acres, the property features a 39-room mansion, charming gardens, bridges and more.

Inside the 27,000 sq. ft. home, visitors discover works of art, exotic tapestries, Tiffany lamp shades, gold-leaf ceilings, elegant chandeliers and furniture and paneling made from cypress, oak, mahogany and walnut. A number of settings, indoors and out, make beautiful backdrops for memorable wedding celebrations.

The Winter Garden. Spanning the full length of the mansion, the Winter Garden accommodates 120 wedding guests. Marble flooring and exposed brick walls add to the character of the space and Arts-and-Crafts wall sconces and twinkle lights produce a romantic glow. An array of windows bring in natural light and deliver beautiful views of the grounds.

The Amusement Room. With capacity for 80 guests, the Amusement Room makes the ideal choice for an intimate wedding reception or ceremony. Design features include a plush, red carpet, elegant windows and light fixtures and a cozy fireplace.

The Juliet Balcony and Terrace. From seating on this three-tiered terrace, guests enjoy scenic views of Lake Superior and the estate's formal garden and exquisite marble fountain. Accommodating up to 120 guests, this space works well for ceremonies or small dinner receptions.

The Carriage House Lawn. With accommodations for up to 300 guests, the Carriage House Lawn offers enough room for a ceremony and reception. This setting delivers ideally manicured green space and lovely property and lake views.

Glensheen offers ultimate flexibility for wedding celebrations. The site is available for ceremonies, receptions or a combination of both. Couples who rent Glensheen for a ceremony and reception hire their own vendors and enjoy an eight hour venue rental that begins at 2:30 P.M. and ends at 10:30 P.M.

The site requires a distinct timeline which includes arrival, deliveries, outdoor photos, arrival of guests, indoor photos and nuptials. A student employee hired on the behalf of the estate serves as a personal attendant to the wedding party to help assist with Glensheen policy.

While the venue allows tenting of the property for celebrations smaller than 140 guests, it does require a tent for guest lists with more than 140 people. Rental parties must pay for outdoor lighting, tent rental and all furniture inside the tent. Couples with additional questions about a wedding celebration at Glensheen, the historic Congdon Estate, can contact the venue directly by phone or through their website.

Glensheen offers an array of additional amenities to couples on the hunt for a wedding venue. These include:

• An extensive list of recommended vendors
  • A complimentary rehearsal the day before the event and rehearsal coordination
  • Skirted gift, cake and cocktail tables
  • Set up and tear down of main items
  • Guest greeters
  • Glensheen staff available through the entire rental
  • Complimentary signage
  • Bar and DJ setup
  • A coat check area
  • Self-guided tours of the property for guests
  • Audio visual equipment
  • Bonfires if desired

Couples enjoy these amenities for an additional fee:

• Rental for pre-wedding celebrations if desired
  • Valet Parking
  • Additional event time
  • Liability insurance

An Opulent Affair

Glensheen Mansion features a 39-room arts and crafts manor home on the shores of Lake Superior in Duluth. Its majestic balconies and manicured grounds are the backdrop of your sublime wedding event.

Backyard, Waterfront, Garden, Estate, Museum, Historic Venue, Tented

Bar + Drinks, Cakes + Desserts, Destination Wedding Packages, Destination Wedding Planning, Destination Weddings, Food + Catering, Planning, Tents, Rentals + Equipment

3300 London Road, Duluth, MN (218) 726-8932

Reviewed on 7/05/2017 Tyler F

We had our ceremony and reception at the Glensheen Mansion on a Friday at the end of June. It was amazing! We were so pleased with how everything turned out, it was perfect! We worked with Emma mostly to plan all of the details, and she was excellent. On the day of the wedding,... Read More we were really impressed with how many staff members were at Glensheen just to help take care of our wedding. Their service was awesome! We had the ceremony on the balcony and the reception downstairs in the Winter Garden, with our food served buffet style in the billiard/family room next door. Our family and friends loved the venue! They were so impressed, and it was really fun to be able to move between the balcony, winter garden, or walk the grounds. The bonfire near Lake Superior towards the end of the night was also a big hit with the guests. Everything went perfectly, and we are so grateful to the Glensheen staff for making everything so special for us. We would highly recommend this venue to anyone, you won't be disappointed!

2017-07-13T10:08:54 Response from the vendor

Greetings from Glensheen Tyler & Kelsey, Thank you kindly for your warm words. It was truly an honor to kick off the Glensheen Wedding Season celebrating your marriage. It's people like you two that make the world go round. I wish you all the best... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/20/2017 Emily G

There aren't enough words to describe how perfect Glensheen was for our wedding reception! Reggie and Emma were incredibly helpful and supportive, the gardens were stunning, and the mansion is hard to beat! The cocktail hour on the terrace was a highlight for our guests --... Read More people were able to tour the mansion, mingle amongst the summery blooms, and wander down to our favorite lake. Glensheen was the most perfect setting for the most perfect day. My husband and I HIGHLY recommend reserving Glensheen for your special day, too.

2017-10-31T16:35:42 Response from the vendor

Emily & Alex, Thank you kindly for taking the time to post a review, Loved working with you, it takes a full team to bring it all together and our team are most happy that you were pleased. Thank you again! Reggie and Staff

Reviewed on 10/04/2017 Brian P

Glensheen was the perfect place for our wedding this past summer. It was a wonderful day right alongside our favorite lake. We had the ceremony right on the point where Tischer Creek meets Lake Superior, which even allowed for us to take a first rowboat ride in the creek.... Read More Reggie was incredibly helpful and accommodating with all the planning and details. The rest of the Glensheen staff that day helped with anything we needed and we appreciated their attention to detail in helping set up and accommodate our guests. Lake Superior is a special place, and Glensheen is one of the few places in Duluth to get married on its shore.

2017-10-31T16:45:01 Response from the vendor

Lisa and Brian, How awesome your wedding was, and the rowboat idea was so cool! Loved working with you two and Mary was great too :) Thank you so much for the review. It helps future brides when faced with the big decision. Wishing you... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/30/2017 Kalley O

We just had our reception here. It was lovely and the staff was very helpful. It is a magnificent piece of history that was the ideal backdrop to our wedding. Regina and Emma were very helpful and pleasant. The guests also told us they enjoyed their tour of the house, which I... Read More recommend even if you're not holding an event.

2017-10-31T17:07:23 Response from the vendor

Kalley & David, Thank you for the review, we are so happy that you and your guests enjoyed the awesome ambiance that Glensheen provides. We love hearing from happy couples. Our staff does appreciate the reviews as well. Thank you for choosing Glensheen and wishing... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/25/2017

My husband and I got married at Glensheen on September 16th, 2017. I could not have asked for a more perfect day. Reggie and her staff calmed all my fears as far as the weather and where we were going to have our ceremony. She really knows what she is doing. I HIGHLY recommend... Read More this site for your wedding. Not to mention the free tour your guests will receive once your ceremony is over, my guests were WOWED by this and thought that it was the coolest thing ever. Thank you Reggie for helping me accomplish my dream wedding.

2017-10-31T17:19:03 Response from the vendor

Brenda and Eric, You are so welcome... I am glad that you day was perfect for you, I knew it would be. Our staff work hard to ensure that it does go well, and it helps when the weather cooperates too. Thank you for entrusting... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/25/2017 Danielle T

My now husband and I have been visiting Glensheen every year since we took our first trip there when we first started dating, going on 6 yrs! We had our wedding there on a Friday at the end of June 2017 and it was perfect! We worked with reggie at first and she unfortunately... Read More couldn’t be there for our big day but Emma made sure she knew what we wanted and she did not miss a beat. All of the staff were professional and helpful. The grounds are absolutely beautiful and the view of Lake Superior was breathtaking! I know price is always a concern but I was very pleased with the wedding packages. I would highly recommend this gorgeous venue

2017-10-30T10:56:42 Response from the vendor

Greetings from Glensheen Danielle & Jake, It was a joy to host you and your family. Your officiant was certainly one for the history books! Wishing you all the best on your next life adventure. Sincere gratitude and well wishes from everyone here at Glensheen!... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/22/2017 Michelle O

We had our wedding rehearsal dinner at the glensheen and we couldn't be more thrilled with how smoothly everything turned out! We didn't have to lift a finger and it gave us a peace of mind to have the staff there to help with everything and make the guests, especially those... Read More from out of town, enjoy Duluth's finest museum and atmosphere. The glensheen staff was so accommodating and we can't thank the staff, especially Reggie, for all the wonderful dedication to making our wedding weekend best it could possibly be! Duluth's finest! Thank you.

2017-11-01T16:25:03 Response from the vendor

Dan and Michelle, Sincere gratitude for hosting your rehearsal dinner with us at Glensheen, and especially for taking the time to return a review. It was indeed our pleasure to assist you with kicking off your very special week-end in Duluth. Wishing you all the... Read Less Read More

Reviewed on 10/22/2017 Richard S

The Glensheen Mansion is the ultimate venue. You have an amazing grounds to work with and the mansion is basically pre-decorated and it is beautiful. The staff are amazing to work with, especially the event coordinator Regina. She knows everyone in the area and she made great... Read More recommendations. The scenery is beautiful and you are right on the lake which is breathtaking. I couple write all day about how great of an experience we had having our wedding at Glensheen. They provided us with our perfect wedding day and I truely mean that 100%

2017-11-04T14:54:21 Response from the vendor

Richard and Barbara, Thank you so much for the review and especially for choosing Glensheen to host your wedding. I absolutely loved working with you both. The staff and myself are wishing you years of wedlock bliss :) Reggie

Reviewed on 10/04/2017 Rachel R

Gorgeous venue - completely unique and stunning for any wedding. Reggie and her staff were so helpful when we ran out of time to get all of our decor set up! All of our guests were wowed by this venue, and several of them told me that our wedding was the most relaxing one... Read More they're ever been to with scenic Lake Superior in the background, benches everywhere to relax on, and blooming flowers everywhere. I highly recommend Glensheen and can't wait to go back for more fun tours!

Reviewed on 10/03/2017 Cristy U

I don't think there could be a more magical setting than Glensheen and I can't imagine finer people to work with than Reggie, Emma, and all of the wonderful staff they have. Beautiful, easy to work with and so much attention to detail. Thank you, Glensheen for making our day... Read More unforgettable!

Reviewed on 8/30/2017 Ashley M

We just had our wedding on august 26th. It rained all day long, and we were unsure of how the rain would affect everything. After our ceremony, we arrived at gleensheen and Reggie had everything under control. Decorations were getting put up and all her staff was working really... Read More hard. She had clear umbrellas ready for us to use for our pictures. We had a blast! Throughout the night staff would stop to check in to make sure everything was still going good. They were all so friendly. Close to everything ending they stated packing everything, and i didnt have to worry about a thing. My wedding was amazing and I couldn't have asked for a better place to have it.

Reviewed on 12/18/2016 Dixie S

We married on July 15th at Glensheen. It was stunning! We are so happy we went with this venue, not only was the setting gorgeous but we had a wonderful experience! Reggie was extremely helpful and made our day come together as we had imagined. The staff was so great about... Read More making sure everything was set-up perfectly. My husband accidentally left his wedding gift there and the staff kept it safe until we were able to return to Duluth. We can't say enough good things about Reggie and the Glensheen staff!

Reviewed on 9/29/2016 Erin M

Everything was amazing on our big day!! Reggie and the whole staff makes your wedding day a breeze. Thank you Glensheen staff.

Reviewed on 4/10/2016

Our daughter and her husband got married last September, Labor Day weekend 2016 at the Glensheen. We met and worked with Reggie and her staff for over a year off and on. Our daughter and son-in-law were able to share in the costs of the tent from wedding the night before. The... Read More Glensheen Staff and Northland Special Events also worked well together since it rained on the previous nights wedding and made the grass under the tent pretty wet. They worked at getting it usable for our wedding and added additional flooring. The weather was threatening to change the plans of an outdoor wedding to an inside the mansion wedding but it held off until after the wedding and the cocktail hour. The cocktail hour was held inside in the Winter room because of the weather and that was great. People self-toured the mansion with staff manning rooms to answer questions. All the guests were encouraged to get to the tent and were actually under the tent for the dinner when the deluge of rain finally came. The grounds were beautiful and people walked around before and after the wedding. The photographer had a huge area to work with. All the staff was on top of their game that day. They worked extremely hard to make the wedding one to remember! The Blackwoods Restaurant did the catering and the food was great. However, I would be sure and use their dishes, do not do what we did which was bring vintage dishes. The contact person said they would wash them and we could pick them up the next day. Blackwoods didn't follow through with that promise.

Reviewed on 10/17/2015

About a year ago I decided I wanted to propose to my girlfriend at the Glensheen Mansion on the Juliet Balcony. Regina is absolutely amazing and the Mansion is lucky to have her as a staff member. She helped me plan out and set up the perfect proposal. She also worked with the... Read More photographer to make sure everything was right and in place for her to capture me doing it "on film." Working with her was as easy as it gets for both myself and the photographer, she goes above and beyond in every aspect. She even greeted us afterwards with a bottle of champagne and shared a toast with us. After my proposal she took the time to tour the grounds with us and show us everything and how it would all work, because we plan to also get married there. We immediately made preparations to book the Mansion for our wedding and reception. The grounds were beautiful, the mansion was beautiful and the staff were courteous and very helpful. I really couldn't of asked for a better experience and anxiously await working with her again for our wedding. If you are interested in booking the mansion for you wedding, rest assured, you are making the right choice. Thank you again for making that happen Regina!

Reviewed on 10/01/2015

Glensheen provided a picture-perfect location for our daughter and son-in-law's wedding in mid-September. The estate grounds are beautiful and well maintained, creating a perfect backdrop for a wedding celebration. Guests really enjoyed the opportunity to tour the mansion and... Read More the grounds, and we enjoyed the fact that we were able to host the wedding, reception and dance in one lovely location. The ceremony and reception were held on the terrace, the dinner in a tent, and the dance in the winter garden room. Each location worked perfectly for us. Guests also enjoyed the bonfire that Glensheen staff tended on the shore of Lake Superior! Reggie and her staff are the consummate professionals, and could not have been more helpful, friendly and accommodating. Our initial concern about the cost of the venue was completely put to rest by observing how hard Reggie and her staff worked to make our event a success! We highly recommend Glensheen as a wedding venue, and we cannot say enough good things about Reggie and her exceptional staff!

September 2015 Wedding

Reviewed on 9/21/2015 Ben M

Our wedding was early September at Glensheen and it was a FAIRYTALE!! The venue is more than any bride could ever ask for. We also had our reception on the ground under a tent and being able to have the whole wedding in one location was great. The grounds are so large guests can... Read More roam freely and site see and get a free tour of the mansion. Cocktail hour on the terrace is one for the books as well. We have got nothing but compliments. Reggie was great to work with and very helpful for any questions we had along the way. Although the rental package is quite pricey it is worth it. We had Martin, Glensheen's sound pro, make sure that all the mice worked and that was a great piece of mind to have. I only wish I could have been a guest at my own wedding!

Reviewed on 8/13/2015 Victoria H

Reggie and Ashley did such an amazing job answering our questions, taking care of things, and dealing with all of our vendors! Even when the rain came and we needed to move our ceremony indoors with no time to rehearse, they kept calm and explained everything to us. Definitely... Read More would recommend this beautiful place and wonderful staff!

An amazing day made magical!

Reviewed on 7/29/2015

Our wedding and reception was held at the Glensheen Mansion and it was beautiful! The staff and coordinators addressed any concerns as the came up immediately and they worked well with all of our vendors. The weather worked in our favor, so our guests were able to truly... Read More enjoy the entire venue and property. The s'mores on the beach front was a beautiful addition. The only problem we experienced was the unethical practices by one of the recommended vendors (Blackwoods). That was the ONLY issue! This is by far the most amazing, organized and detail oriented venue. I will recommend them for ANYONE looking for a fairy-tail wedding!

Beautiful Setting

Reviewed on 10/26/2013 Kara W

Glensheen's historic setting was beautiful and stunning for our ceremony and reception. The staff is exceptional and I would highly recommend this venue for any bride who is going for a classy wedding theme.

Wonderful Staff and Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 9/01/2013 Jenna F

The Glensheen is an absolutely breathtaking venue to be married and the staff is very friendly and helpful. They have their own event coordinator, her fee is included in the rental cost, which made planning a mini destination wedding that much easier. They are very experienced... Read More and can help you every step of the way. The best part was that we were able to drop off all the decorations for the wedding the night before and the staff took care of all of the set-up and Reggie (the event coordinator) was there to make sure that everything went smoothly during the day. All our guests also enjoyed the tours of the mansion following our ceremony. Would highly recommend the Glensheen Mansion for a beautiful wedding. They also do have room inside for the ceremony in case of inclement weather.

Just Beautiful

Reviewed on 12/20/2011 Amanda S

I selected Glensheen because of it's elegance and charm and was not disappointed. Plenty of ambiance to go around. All of our guests commented on how beautiful the location was and they were right. The staff was super and I don't have a thing to complain about. I highly... Read More recommend using Glensheen as a location for a ceremony & reception.

Best day of my life.

Reviewed on 9/13/2011 Lindsay J

Glensheen, and Reggie, made my wedding the best day of my life, thus far. Between planning to the day of she catered to everyone's needs and the day wouldn't have been the same without her. Thank you so much!!!

Glensheen Venue

Reviewed on 7/20/2011 Colleen S

We absolutely loved the location for the wedding, we hard a little scare on the weather and it almost rained. Luckily it cleared up and we were able to get married on the terrace which was perfect. The only down side is the location for the reception is a bit cramped,... Read More otherwise Glensheen is perfect.

Most Beautiful Venue Ever!

Reviewed on 7/07/2011 Amber J

Absolutely LOVED my wedding at the Glensheen. The staff makes the day go PERFECTLY and you cannot ask for a better background!

Meet The Manager

Regina Christensen

Reggie has over 30 years of event and wedding planning experience. She will be your on-site coordinator, masterfully executing all your day-of details so you sit back and relax. Reggie and her staff will assist you in planning your big day from start to finish. Her enthusiastic personality is infectious and will make wedding planning a blast. She has been with Glensheen nearly ten years and is an expert in executing an exquisite event on the Historic Congdon Estate.