The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Located in Grand Rapids, Michigan, the Goei Center is ideal for couples seeking contemporary elegance. Formerly the Kindel Furniture Factory, this loft-like area is decorated with exposed brick walls and original dark hardwood flooring. There is also an on-site floral company. The entire facility is 15,000 square feet and can host up to 400 guests, so many couples take advantage of this space by using it for both the ceremony and reception.

The Showroom. This is the main area of the building, in which many couples choose to hold their ceremony. A unique focal point is the Koi pond that is always stocked with beautifully colored fish. Eastern Floral, the Goei Center’s floral services, keeps this space decorated with in-season flowers. Brides and grooms can also swap out the in-season floral design for a mixture of their choosing.

Wood columns, light-colored exposed brick walls and large pipes spanning the ceiling provide an urban, yet refined, vibe. Large light fixtures with recessed lighting offers plenty of light for photos. In addition to floral arrangements, other decorations can also be added. Eastern Floral has additional decor for rental too.

Many couples choose to say their vows in front of the Koi pond or on the small platform that is provided. On the opposite side of this room is a lounge area and counter that can be used as a bar. This is ideal for a cocktail reception while waiting to enter the main reception area. Brides and grooms also like to use the couches for bridal party photos.

Banquet Room. With more exposed brick and wood beams, this room carries out the rustic urban theme of the building. Like the Showroom, this space has high ceilings, but makes use of chandeliers to lend a more formal feel. Rental of this room includes black Chiavari chairs and tables for the reception.

There is plenty of room for caterers and entertainers to host a large crowd and still have additional space for enjoying the reception. For example, a typical layout would include numerous tables with a DJ corner and dance floor out front. This still leaves breathing room for mingling as well as setting up food tables.

Green Room. The Green Room is especially helpful for those holding both a ceremony and reception at the Goei Center. This area can be used for the bride to get dressed, for the wedding party to prepare or for storage purposes. Caterers and photographers will also appreciate having a separate space to store important equipment or stage things.

Concerning decorations, it is important for couples to know that they must order all flowers and candles through Eastern Floral, which is the Goei Center’s exclusive florist company. Other decor can be added as well and the facility actually has more decor to choose from for an additional cost. For instance, many couples opt for adding string lights or lanterns. One way to save on costs is to go with the seasonal flowers already set up throughout the space by Eastern Floral. Brides have raved about this company’s talents and seem pleased with the results.

While tables and chairs are included, there is a limit. Any tables and chairs needed to accommodate more than 300 people will cost extra. Many couples and guests have said that no chair covers are needed, as the chairs are comfortable and attractive. The facility’s staff will take care of all the set-up and cleanup of the event area and this comes with the rental. Security and self-parking are also covered by the rental cost.

All catering is provided by outside vendors, but it must be by one of the Goei Center’s preferred service providers. The facility works with several affordable bar and food companies for couples to pick from. All are in the Grand Rapids area for convenience. Several brides have found this helpful as it gives them options without overwhelming them with too many choices. This especially rings true for couples coming from out of town.

• Wedding Wire Couples’ Choice Awards 2016 Winner
  • Wedding Wire Bride’s Choice Awards 2013 Winner
  • Wedding Wire Bride’s Choice Awards 2012 Winner
  • Audio equipment available
  • Valet parking service available
  • Conveniently located minutes away from downtown Grand Rapids

Be Inspired!

Formerly the Kindel Furniture Factory, the Goei Center is a loft-style venue with modern urban elegance and features industrial chic design elements.

Historic Venue, Loft

Bar + Drinks

818 Butterworth St SW, Grand Rapids, MI (616) 949-2421
INSTAGRAM

Reviewed on 5/23/2016 Megan Y

The Goei Center was an absolutely perfect location for our recent reception. Lindsay the coordinator, was honestly nothing short of amazing. She responded to all my phone calls and e-mails promptly and was SO pleasant to work with. She made sure everything was exactly how I... Read More envisioned. We could not have been more pleased! Thank you from the bottom of my heart Lindsay, for making our special day the best day ever!!

2016-06-07T07:56:04 Response from the vendor

Your kind words are so appreciated!! I am thrilled to hear it was the best day ever for you :) That is our number one goal. I wish you all the very best in your future as husband and wife!

Reviewed on 9/17/2016 Angie J

Lindsay, the wedding coordinator, was a dream to work with. She made planning super easy and was really attentive to detail and quick to respond to emails. The venue looked wonderful the night of our reception, and we received so many compliments from our guests. We loved the... Read More Goei Center's unique character, yet it was classy enough for what we wanted. You won't be disappointed if you choose Goei for your big day.

2016-09-28T06:50:00 Response from the vendor

You are so sweet, Angie! Thank you so much for your kind words :) Many years of happiness to you and Ryan as husband and wife!

Reviewed on 7/10/2016 Kelly B

The Goei Center is an absolutely gorgeous, very unique venue! We had our wedding reception there in June and it could not have been a more perfect day. We've received so many compliments on our venue choice! Lindsay, the wedding coordinator at Goei, was hands down one of the... Read More best people I worked with while planning our wedding. I simply adore her. Lindsay is one of the most organized, kind, helpful people I had the pleasure of working with. Honestly, she is the one who kept me sane during the wedding planning process. You will not be disappointed if you choose Goei as your venue!!

2016-08-21T17:44:00 Response from the vendor

Awww Kelly, you are too sweet! Thank you so much for your kind words :) You and Adam were an absolute JOY to work with and get to know. I wish you many years of happiness as husband and wife! :)

Reviewed on 11/12/2016

My wedding at the Goei Center was perfect! The entire staff was so helpful, friendly, and professional. They really went above and beyond. The event coordinator Lindsay was awesome! She was so helpful with every detail. I would recommend the Goei Center for any special event!

2016-11-20T15:09:15 Response from the vendor

Thank you kindly, Amber! You were a joy to work with :) I truly appreciate your recommendation and am happy to hear it was 'perfect' :)

Reviewed on 11/08/2016 Aubrey V

The Goei Center itself is a beautiful wedding and reception venue. I loved having both there so guests do not have to travel after the ceremony. Lindsay was the most helpful person I could have asked for throughout this entire process. She gave me recommendations on vendors I... Read More had no clue about! She was quick to respond to emails and was always willing to help. She releived so much stress by all of this help and her expertise. She was at the ceremony which was so kind of her to make the process go smoothly.

2016-11-20T15:17:23 Response from the vendor

Awww, you are too sweet, Aubrey :) Thank you so very much for your kind words! I am very pleased to hear I could help relieve some stress for you and make your special day a memorable one. Cheers!

Reviewed on 11/05/2016 Lindsey B

The Goei Center was fantastic! The venue is so modernly beautiful that few decorations were required. The chairs that come automatically with the venue are stunning, don't require any covers, and normally very expensive on their own. Everyone who helped us, from Lindsay, to... Read More Michaela, to John? (the security guard), were an absolute pleasure to work with. This venue is spacious, and interesting, and can be set up a multitude of different ways. I saw it set up four different ways, just from my visits alone! I would highly recommend The Goei Center!

2016-11-20T15:14:08 Response from the vendor

Your recommendation is greatly appreciated, Lindsey! We are so happy to hear you were thrilled on your special day with us :) Cheers to you !

Reviewed on 11/04/2016 Russell B

The Goei Center is a BEAUTIFUL venue for any occasion, especially a wedding or reception. All of our guests were in complete awe! We received many compliments on the beauty of the venue. The warm, industrial-style interior of the building was perfect for our reception. Lindsay,... Read More Blake, and the entire staff at Goei Center exceeded our expectations and were instrumental in making our day truly special. I would recommend this venue for anyone looking for a gorgeous space to rent. Thank you to everyone at the Goei Center!

2016-11-20T15:11:18 Response from the vendor

Thank you so very much! We truly appreciate your kind words and are thrilled to hear we exceeded your expectations :) Cheers to you as husband and wife!

Reviewed on 9/23/2016 Libby H

For our wedding, we used the Goei Center for both the ceremony and reception. Lindsay was wonderful! She was always very prompt with communication and helpful in every aspect of the wedding planning process, including the wedding day. She helped us coordinate and work with our... Read More various vendors to make our day a reality. Everything went smoothly, and Lindsay was there to personally make sure everything went as we had planned. Thank you, Lindsay!

2016-09-28T06:54:38 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much, Libby! It was my pleasure in helping to make everything run smoothly. You were such a joy to work with :) Many years of happiness to you and Nathan!!

Reviewed on 9/14/2016 Taylor V

We loved working with Lindsay and the rest of the staff at The Goei Center! They were all so helpful and accommodating. We got many compliments on how beautiful our wedding and wedding venue was :) Many thanks to Lindsay and The Goei Center staff- we could not have done it... Read More without you!

2016-09-28T06:48:08 Response from the vendor

We loved working with YOU, Taylor! Thank you kindly for being so sweet :) Cheers to you in your new life together as husband and wife!

Reviewed on 9/14/2016 Hannah S

LOVED the Goei & Lindsay. She made everything about the day go smoothly and was very responsive to our needs. Very professional, kind, and honest. Our day was perfect - and I have no doubt that it was Lindsay that helped in that.

2016-09-28T06:46:41 Response from the vendor

Awww, thank you so very much for your kind words, Hannah! We are thrilled to hear your day was perfect :) Many years of happiness to you and Brian as husband and wife!

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Megan W

I couldn't have been happier with choosing this venue. It was absolutely beautiful without having to add a ton of decorations, the large space was perfect for our 300 guest wedding. The staff was super helpful and I didn't have to worry about a thing.

2016-08-21T17:47:12 Response from the vendor

Thank you so very much! We are thrilled to hear you could not have been happier on your special day :) That is our number one goal. Many years of happiness to you both as husband and wife!

Reviewed on 6/24/2016 Aimee M

I had the best experience ever! Everything was just as I imagined!! Lindsay took care of all of my fears and made my dreams come true! I couldn't have picked a better location!!!

2016-07-01T10:18:41 Response from the vendor

Aimee, you are so sweet! Thank you for your kind words :) We are so happy everything was just as you imagined and your dreams came true on your special day! All the best to you and Paul as husband and wife!

Reviewed on 12/15/2015

We had our Ceremony and Reception at the Goei Center in November. We could not be any more pleased with how our day turned out! Lindsay the coordinator was simply amazing. She responded promptly and was extremely pleasant to work with. I highly recommend the Goei Center and... Read More their staff! Thank you again, Lindsay for making our day oh so memorable!

2015-12-15T15:29:51 Response from the vendor

Thank you for your kinds words, they are greatly appreciated! I am happy to hear your special day was a memorable one :) Many years of happiness to you!

Simply Fabulous!

Reviewed on 10/11/2015 Mekyla S

My husband and I chose the Goei Center for our Ceremony AND Reception- we fell in love the moment we walked in the doors. We had a large wedding (293 guests) and this venue is so spacious! The Goei Center is SO unique and romantic and beautiful. We really wanted to get married... Read More somewhere that not only fit our vision but had character and charm and the Goei Center has all of that and more! The place has history with its vintage original hardwood floors and light brick walls but is modern all at the same time. The Goei Center's prices are slightly higher than other places we looked at, but was so worth it! They also had many services that were included in the price that aided in our decision to go with them such as day of wedding coordinator! Our wedding coordinator was Lindsay and we simply cannot say enough about her. She made us feel comfortable and confident throughout our time planning for the wedding. She was always quick to respond to our questions, gave helpful advice, and even offered up helpful pep talks when I was feeling the wedding stress. Lindsay was considerate, professional, and at the same time felt like a trusted friend. She helped us stay organized and we loved working with her. All of our chairs and tables were included in our venue fee which was very helpful. They also handled all of our set up before the wedding for the ceremony and reception, and then took it all down and cleaned up afterward! I can not say how helpful and stress reducing this was for us! It was nice to not have to rely on family or others to help us set up and at the end of the night, we packed up our gifts and belongings and the Goei Center handled all the clean up and take down! It was so appreciated. You have to choose your vendor from their preferred vendor list but this was not a big deal to us. Eastern Floral (partial owners of the building) handled all of our floral needs and we were more than happy with what they created! People had said to me before that Eastern Floral was expensive however they worked with me with my budget and gave me so many options to make my dreams into reality. They constructed this beautiful wedding arch for our ceremony that had all of our guests talking, and I loved my bouquet and our centerpieces. My bouquet was stunning! Overall, our guests had a great experience had a FABULOUS time at our wedding. They loved the venue and how different it was from a typical conference room or hotel. Our guests' experience was important to us and our venue really set the scene for the perfect night. The Goei Center is truly a hidden gem, and we could not have been happier. I had the best day of my life there and we still have guests talking and raving about our wedding!

2015-11-11T14:51:47 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words, Mekyla :) It was an absolute honor meeting you and getting to work with you. I wish you and Tayo the very best in your future together!

So Impressed & Happy =)

Reviewed on 10/11/2015 Mekyla S

We chose the Goei Center for our Ceremony AND Reception because it was such a unique and stunning venue. There is a definite romantic charm about the place that made me fall in love with it the moment I walked in the doors. The history of the building and the original floors and... Read More brick walls really gave a lot of character to the venue but it is modern all at the same time. Lindsay was our wedding coordinator (automatically a part of having your wedding at the Goei Center) and she was amazingly helpful and a real joy to work with. She not only helped me with any questions I had along the way, but always responded quickly to emails and texts, and even gave me helpful wedding advice and pep talks when I was feeling the stress. She really made us feel confident and comfortable throughout our whole experience with the Goei Center. Our ceremony area was beautiful, and Eastern Floral impressed us all with the beautiful wedding arch they constructed for us. You have to work with Eastern Floral but Christa and Brenda really worked with our budget and always gave us great options! Our guests loved that they did not have to leave after the ceremony, and because the venue space is so large, they just moved from the ceremony space to the cocktail/lounge area to the reception area-all areas were different and provided lots of rooms for guests. You have to choose your vendors for catering and alcohol from their preferred vendor list, but this was not an issue for us. Our wedding was beautiful and the Goei Center staff, along with Eastern Floral handled all the set up and take down (this service is also included in your venue fee). I can not say enough how nice it was for myself and family to not have to set up or clean up after. I almost cried when I saw the ceremony set up and reception set up-it was stunning and just what I had worked on with them as far as making my husband and I's vision come to life. It was perfect-there are no words to express how satisfied we both were with our venue. Our guests were flooding our cell phones and email with compliments after the wedding, which always makes the bride and groom feel great! I did not find that the Goei Center's pricing was ridiculous or more pricey than other venues because the experience and natural beauty of the venue was romantic and unique, and all the extra services they include in the price make the overall price more than worth it! Thank you so much to the Geoi Center, Lindsay, Eastern Floral, and all our vendors for making our wedding night truly fabulous!

2015-11-11T14:54:54 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your kind words! I wish you many years of happiness in your future as husband and wife :)

Loved my reception

Reviewed on 7/29/2015 Kylie P

Lindsay Lieffers (wedding and event coordinator) truly made the difference! She is so sweet, understanding, and is amazingly talented at what she does. Goei Center- Beautiful center for a reception. The exposed brick and old floors fit my vision for my reception. It is VERY... Read More expensive. It was disappointing to see you had to pay extra for the projector/screen for a slideshow. Our slideshow was 8 minutes long and they charged $500 to rent their screen and audio. That is ridiculous!!!! Luckily, Linsday suggested only renting the screen and using our DJ's speakers to save money (thanks Linsday- this is why I love you!) We also had to use Eastern Floral for our reception flowers- they did NOT compare to our other vendor we used for our bouquets and ceremony flowers. They were overpriced, sparce, and were not blush in color as requested. Thanks Linsday for all your work for our reception. You were amazing and are a GREAT asset to Goei- the changes you made with their facility within the eight months we worked with you were appreciated and will do good things for future events and clients.

2015-07-29T16:51:50 Response from the vendor

It was such an honor working with you, Kylie. I appreciate your extremely kind and thoughtful words :) I and am so thrilled your special day was a memorable one! Thank you again for allowing me to be a part of the process with you.... Read Less Read More

Amazing Venue!

Reviewed on 1/13/2015

My daughter's wedding was on New Year's Eve 2014. We wanted a venue where the wedding ceremony and the reception could be at one place just in case a Michigan Winter Storm hit. We looked at several venues, but kept comparing everything to The Goei Center. So, we booked it and... Read More we are so glad we did! The old factory atmosphere mixed with elegant chandeliers and glittering table decor made for a stunning New Years Eve party atmosphere. The wedding coordinator was a dream to work with, walking us through every step of the planning . We would highly recommend The Goei Center for any event or wedding. You will be glad you did!

2015-04-08T08:58:03 Response from the vendor

Thank you so very much :) It was an absolute honor to help plan for Kylee's special day!

Gorgeous Venue

Reviewed on 10/30/2014 Stephanie S

The Goei Center was the perfect venue for our indoor ceremony and reception. It's a beautiful space and we received so many compliments from our wedding guests. The Goei Center did recently go through a staffing change so I actually worked with 3 different wedding consultants... Read More throughout my 2-year engagement, but Lindsay (current wedding consultant for Goei Center) and Brenda (current wedding consultant for Eastern Floral) were both amazing to work with. They were both so responsive and flexible and allowed me to bring in many of my own decorations. I would highly recommend the Goei Center!

2015-12-15T13:54:52 Response from the vendor

Thank you so very much, Stephanie! You were an absolute dream to work with :) I wish you and Chris the very best together in your future as husband and wife!

Beautiful Venue

Reviewed on 10/05/2014 Allison D

Amazing location for our ceremony and reception! We received so many compliments from all of our guests. My only complaint is that our wedding consultant was fired throughout the process and there was extremely poor communication with the replacements.

Walk away...

Reviewed on 9/11/2014

4 different wedding planners.. The first girl quit right after we booked the venue.. It's not like she was anything special to begin with but you think we would have gotten a call? Nope just pushed off to the side.. Found out from my neighbor we didn't have a wedding planner... Read More anymore.. So I called them and I got the wedding back on the right page.. This is where I meet Brenda and christa.. Number 2 and 3.. Christa sat us down to talk about flowers and before you know it we where talking about her wedding and how the family won't be able to come together and her troubles with her man and that they should just elope... Ok whateves everyone has their things so what about flowers? Showed us one picture of bells of Ireland.. You have an entire flower shop in your office?!?! You couldn't show us those? Could work on price at all?! Then there was Brenda.. Oh I'll take care of you guys.. The wedding will be perfect.. Sure you threw in lighting that was already promised to us thru Lisa thanks? But you didn't really do anything for us besides that.. Moved a few tables but I'm guessing you had the boys and cleaning crew do that.. Then the wedding night come and there is people having a meeting in the dressing room we had everything in... And a 4th wedding planner!! I don't even remember her name I just remember being introduced and the next time I saw her at the end of the night she was throwing away flowers without my approval... Yes the goei is beautiful and we had a perfect wedding but that's because I busted my butt to make it happen.. It's terrible how poorly we where treated and you should strongly reconsider booking this venue...

2015-04-08T08:56:29 Response from the vendor

We are deeply sorry for your experience during our transitional period. We work diligently to create a memorable and special experience for all our Brides. I apologize that your experience was not as pleasurable as it could have been during our early 2014 coordinator transition.

Beautiful venue

Reviewed on 7/19/2014 Christy

The Goei center was the perfect place for our wedding. It's spacious, beautiful, and not the typical ballroom type atmosphere. The separate areas give guests the opportunity to mingle without music blasting in their ears. Lots of room to set up extra activities for those that... Read More don't dance ( we had a homemade photo booth, candy bar, and 2 sets of corn hole/bags boards)The only complaint I would have is that there were some miscommunications as the coordinators changed during the final stages of planning. the original coordinator I was working with (Kylie) moved just a few months before our wedding. Her replacement was therefor relatively new when our big day rolled around. Many of the other vendors I had in line were so used to working with Kylie, that they were inconvenienced by Lisa's slow response to them. They did have to call me for many things that would otherwise have been managed by the coordinator. I would think and hope that by now she would be more settled in though. I would highly recommend this venue to all brides, but especially to those who are looking for an atmosphere other than the standard banquet or ballroom.

Perfect Place

Reviewed on 6/03/2014 Karen S

The GOEI Center was the perfect place for the vintage theme I had in mind. The exposed brick walls and wood floors are beautiful. It is HUGE! We had the ceremony and reception there with 150 people and there was plenty of space. My guests loved that the bar was separate from the... Read More dance floor so there was a space to take a break and relax on the leather couches. Another big plus is that there is parking on site, which is a huge bonus since most places in downtown GR don't have parking. I would recommend this venue to anyone.

Looks Like They Need Kylie Back...

Reviewed on 1/26/2014

The overall day was great! Everything looked spectacular...the only problem was working with Lisa Marie. She was very rude on multiple occasions even going to the extent of calling my uncle and "Old asian man" when describing him. We had multiple complaints of how unprofessional... Read More and just overall rude she was. I would not recommend working with her.

Beautiful venue, easy to work with

Reviewed on 9/27/2013 Paige W

The Goei Center is an amazing place - the exposed brick walls and hardwood floors were exactly what we were looking for in a venue! This facility is large enough to host the ceremony, cocktail hour, and reception for 125 people and not be crowded (this was important to us since... Read More we were planning a winter wedding). We received lots of positive feedback from our guests about this beautiful venue; and the plus side was that there wasn't much need to decorate, since it's a showroom for Eastern Floral. :) The layout that Kylie (coordinator) created worked brilliantly! She was very easy going, responsive, and knowledgable about the venue and flowers. Because the Goei Center is home to some businesses, we had to have an evening wedding. This wasn't really a concern for us though, since we wanted our family and friends to party with us all night! We really couldn't have asked for anything more for our wedding!

Goei Center

Reviewed on 7/03/2013 Alyssa B

The Goei Center was so beautiful and the staff was always very helpful. Kylie, the coordinater, had so many wonderful ideas and made the wedding planning process so much more enjoyable!

Meet The Coordinator

Lindsay Lieffers

I would be honored to work with you for your special day here at the Goei! I truly love my job and am passionate about helping you create lifelong memories.