The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Couples who have a love and appreciation for the arts will find the GoggleWorks Center for the Arts in Reading, Pennsylvania, an excellent venue for their wedding. The high ceilings make every room feel spacious and the numerous art displays provide unique backdrops for first-look photos. The GoggleWorks Center for the Arts includes rooms for your nuptials, spaces for a cocktail hour and even larger locations for receptions.

Cohen Gallery East. Measuring 3,094 square feet, the Cohen Gallery East works well as a ceremony or reception space. It seats as many as 125 of your closest friends and family members and features exposed brick walls and large windows that let in plenty of natural light. Connected to this space is a lovely outdoor courtyard deck for getting a little fresh air.

Cohen Gallery West. Also connected to the courtyard deck, the Cohen Gallery West comes in at 2,611 square feet, which is just enough space to welcome 175 guests for a cocktail party. There's a built-in area for setting up a bar, hardwood flooring for dancing the night away and standard gallery lighting for keeping your party illuminated.

Boscov Film Theatre. If you're looking for a unique spot to exchange vows, the Boscov Film Theatre is it. Welcoming 130 guests in its 2,098 square feet of space, the theatre has a front stage that can accommodate an alter, arch or trellis. The room is also equipped with Dolby surround sound and has a digital projector.

Studio 230. The largest space within GoggleWorks Center for the Arts is Studio 230. It offers 4,473 square feet and seats 215 friends and relatives. There's bistro-style lighting, hardwood floors and the room connects to the caterer's warming kitchen for convenience.

Studio 240. To-be-weds interested in a more intimate setting will love Studio 240. The room is just 840 square feet and comfortably seats 60 guests. Just like some of the other spaces, this one wows with its exposed brick walls, natural lighting and hardwood floors.

Although GoggleWorks Center for the Arts does not provide a caterer, a list of preferred vendors is available through the rental supervisor. Taking advantage of these trusted affiliates is not required, however and couples are free to hire their own companies. Secured caterers are welcome to use the warming kitchen. It is also important to note that any bride and groom who wish to have alcohol served either during the cocktail party or at the reception must first obtain a certificate of insurance that covers the facility in the amount of $1,000,000. The last glass of alcohol must be served no later than a half hour before the close of the event.

Couples are welcome to use the building between the hours of 9 a.m. and 9 p.m. Should you wish to extend the time to 11 p.m., you may do so with advanced notice. This will incur a fee for additional staffing and security. The staff will see that your selected spaces are set up at the beginning of the day and properly cleaned up afterward. You'll get the use of a podium with built-in microphone for speeches and couples may control the heating and air conditioning thermostats. Although the tables and chairs are included in the rental, couples will need to supply their own linens, decorations and table numbers. Keep in mind that glitter, confetti and hanging items from anywhere other than the l-beams is not permitted.

As an extra perk for hosting your special day at GoggleWorks Center for the Arts, the ladies of the wedding party are given a bridal suite in which to get ready. A few more perks below will help to make your wedding unique and stress free.

• Free private parking
  • Easels available for displaying photographs
  • On-site security staff

INSPIRING EVENTS.

With historic architecture and inventive design, GoggleWorks is a distinctive venue for all types of events. Original hardwood floors, high ceilings, natural light and exposed brick walls provide a one-of-a-kind environment for every occasion; whether it’s all business or just for fun. Our building, a former safety goggle factory, has eclectic spaces – ranging from intimate galleries to open industrial loft-like studios. Let our creative environment trigger new thinking at your small off-site business meeting. Let our neutral spaces be the perfect backdrop for customizing your special moments. Our goal is to help you craft a memorable experience with ease.

Ballroom, Museum, Historic Venue, Loft

Bar + Drinks, Service Staff

201 Washington Street, Reading, PA (610) 374-4600

Unique and stunning atmosphere

Reviewed on 11/18/2013

I had my wedding at the Goggleworks this past Saturday. Margaret Murphy, the events coordinator, is a joy to work with. From start to finish she made our day amazing! She is efficient, organized, and extremely helpful. She is very responsive and easy to work with. On top of all... Read More of it, she is extremely down to earth, which really helped me keep my stress level down. We used the second floor reception hall. It has exposed brick walls and hard wood floors. If you are looking for a modern/industrial/unique/gorgeous reception setting this is the place. Everyone told us how beautiful the room is and how unique it was to have a wedding there. The reception hall gave our guests a comfortable but sophisticated feel. I would recommend Goggleworks to anyone, but especially someone who has a deep appreciation for art and creativity. Further, when renting space from Goggleworks, you get plenty of time to set up and break down. The kitchen is gorgeous, with a huge freezer, fridge, and warming oven. Book goggleworks! They made my day so special!! Also, makes for stunning photos!

2013-11-20T11:17:12 Response from the vendor

Thank you Thuy! It was a joy to work with you and Cory. Your wedding was amazing and you both worked so hard to see it come to life. I wish you both all the best in your life together and thank you so much... Read Less Read More

The Best experience would recommend to anyone

Reviewed on 10/07/2013 Kelly C

The GoogleWorks and the staff was amazing. If you are looking for a place for your wedding and reception the GoogleWorks is PERFECT!! Our wedding was beautiful Margaret and her staff was amazing and did everything to make our day special we had no worries.

Fairy Tale Wedding

Reviewed on 9/10/2013 Corrin D

My wedding was everything I wanted it to be!! The goggleworks staff was super helpful! The day ran so smooth and everything looked great! Only thing I will say is be prepared to have to do a little more work then maybe choosing a venue that has everything included. I had to... Read More supply my own linens, lights, etc... but overall I wouldn't change a thing!!

Reviewed on 8/15/2016 Rachael S

We couldn't have picked a more perfect place for our ceremony and reception. Margaret was very helpful with any questions we had before the wedding and during the wedding. I loved that we were able to come in to set up for our wedding on Friday and that we were able to come in... Read More Sunday after the wedding to tear down and clean up.

Beautiful reception space

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Kaitlin A

Both our ceremony and reception were held at the GoggleWorks. It is a beautiful space for a reception.

Wonderful wedding venue

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Kaitlin A

The GoggleWorks Center for the Arts is a wonderful wedding venue. My husband and I held both our ceremony and reception at this venue, renting out the room on the fourth floor for the ceremony and the room on the second floor for the reception. The spaces are so beautiful that... Read More you do not have to do much in regards of decoration. The GoggleWorks also provides chairs and tables as part of the space rental. Margaret is incredibly nice and wonderful to work with. Every staff person we interacted with was super friendly and helpful.

Most amazing place for a wedding-10/25/14

Reviewed on 12/07/2014 Becky M

We had our ceremony and reception at The GoggleWorks in Reading, PA and we can't say enough about how wonderful the facility was!! Margaret Murphy, the events director/coordinator, was so incredibly easy to work with and very responsive to my multiple questions leading up to the... Read More wedding. The facility itself was such a cool, unique place for a wedding- the guests could walk around the facility and look at the work of the very talented artists that have their studios there. All the guests I spoke with were raving about how great GW was. They also had a great list with lots of vendor options. We were able to find an amazing group of vendors to create the most beautiful day for us. I would highly recommend the GoggleWorks for a wedding or any other important event!!!!

Looking for a non traditional space? Goggleworks fits the bill

Reviewed on 8/12/2014 Samantha M

My husband and I got married at Goggleworks in July. I cannot say enough wonderful things about the place. We were looking for a non traditional (basically not a country club or banquet hall) space for our wedding. Goggleworks has beautiful, large rooms that are perfect for a... Read More ceremony or reception (we elected to do both there). Also, they are VERY reasonably priced for a wedding venue. They also rent out the space for the entire weekend, so we set up on Friday, had the wedding Saturday, and then cleaned up on Sunday. It doesn't get much better than that. They also allow you to use an outside caterer (big savings right there). Margaret Murphy is absolutely wonderful to work with throughout the wedding process. Our wedding was everything we wanted and more. Thank you Margaret!

Perfect!

Reviewed on 8/08/2014 Allison W

We live in Reading and wanted a cool, simple space for a wedding. We wanted to be able to add our own touches. The Goggleworks let our families and our vendors into the spaces we chose the entire day before and after the wedding. We used our own decorations and rentals and... Read More personalized it so it was exactly what we wanted. I found the prices very reasonable and they were very accommodating - someone was always there checking on us and helping to clean up. They were very easy to work with, and I felt like our wedding was perfect. I would definitely recommend them!

GoggleWorks is perfect!

Reviewed on 8/30/2013 Jamie F

My husband and I had our wedding ceremony and reception at GoggleWorks in Reading. It was such a beautiful and unique venue! It didn't take much decorating to make the studio look picture perfect. Margaret, the events coordinator, was an absolute joy to work with. She always... Read More responded to emails promptly and thoroughly. The venue was reasonably priced, and we were able to choose our own caterer. I would highly recommend GoggleWorks to anyone!

AMAZING VENUE & AMZING FACILITIES COORDINATOR

Reviewed on 8/17/2013

I worked with Margaret for over a year, ironing out all the details of my wedding (07.20.13). I had questions and she always had the answers. If she didn't, she'd find them. GoggleWorks Center for the Arts is a very unique location for a wedding. I loved it the moment I saw it... Read More online and it's even better in person! Our guests raved about the venue and still talk about the wedding. You have the liberty to transform it into your vision and that is exactly what I did, along with Margaret guiding me in terms of policies and in answering any questions I had. Look at it as a blank canvas! We made it into something that represented us as a couple. You can do the same! We had our ceremony and reception at GoggleWorks Center for the Arts. The service was great. The quality was great. The value was great. It met our expectations and beyond! I would recommend this venue to everyone! You won't be disappointed!

2013-08-19T09:43:07 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for taking the time to share your experience with us! It always makes my day to hear that people had happy wedding days here. I wish you all the best and thanks for supporting GoggleWorks! Sincerely, Margaret

Goggleworks Wedding Reception

Reviewed on 7/02/2013 Maritza G

Absolutely amazing venue!! The hardwood floors and brick walls made the pictures look so beautiful. And the staff went above and beyond to make our day special. Will use again for future events.

2013-07-03T09:55:42 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for your kind words and for your support of GoggleWorks! I am so glad to hear that your reception was special. Best Wishes! -Margaret

Wonderful, Beautiful, LOVED IT!

Reviewed on 1/23/2013 Tamra S

This was a great place to work with when planning for my wedding. Margaret is a great event coordinator and was always there to help. They let you have the space for the entire weekend. One day prior to set up, one day after to clean up. You have to coordinate all of your... Read More other vendors, but they work closely with Boscov's and they were also great to work with. I loved it and they made my wedding day stress-free and absolutely beautiful.

Wedding of awesomeness

Reviewed on 10/18/2012 Jesse S

We had our reception at goggle works a few weeks ago, and I couldn't have been happier! Their staff was so helpful and accommodating, they let me have the freedom to bring in my own vendors, make my own decorations, and even come in a day early to get situated! Their coordinator... Read More margaret was a HUGE help with planning our wedding and answered any and all questions I had! I really recommend goggle works if you want a really unique and customizable wedding!

2013-01-24T10:32:10 Response from the vendor

"Wedding of awesomeness," I love that! Your wedding was truly awesome! Thanks so much for taking the time to review GoggleWorks, we certainly appreciate it and we are so happy you had such a great experience with us. Wishing you wonderful days ahead! -Margaret

Venue

Reviewed on 10/02/2012 Meleka A

This place was amazing and the staff was great! beautiful place

2013-01-24T10:30:58 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for your comments, it makes the staff very happy to hear this and we appreciate your support! All the best! -Margaret

Such a beautiful location

Reviewed on 5/24/2012 Aileen L

GoggleWorks was the perfect location for my wedding. It has so much charm and is absolutely beautiful. The staff was wonderful. I was able to get my decorator in the room days before the wedding and I had the location to myself to decorate and store all the rentals and... Read More alcohol. Margaret was great to work with, she's friendly and accommodating. I truly enjoyed everything about GoggleWorks and would recommend this location to everyone!

2013-01-24T10:33:20 Response from the vendor

I am thrilled to hear about your experience with us and I absolutely appreciate the kind words. Thank you so much for choosing to host your wedding at GoggleWorks and I wish you all the best! -Margaret

December wedding

Reviewed on 1/16/2012 Emily C

This was an amazing alternative space for our December wedding! My new-husband and I loved the industrial feel...yet when it came time for our wedding, the space transferred into a romantic venue. The staff were great to work with - very informative and flexible. I would... Read More recommend this venue to anyone who wants an outside-of-the-box wedding!

2013-01-24T10:35:12 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for this review, we do certainly appreciate it! I am so glad that you were happy with the venue and your experience. It means so much to be able to provide brides and people such a unique venue and it is... Read Less Read More

perfect wedding venue!

Reviewed on 11/09/2011 Amanda H

We got married in October at Goggleworks. We had both our ceremony and reception at Goggleworks. They were great! It was wonderful to have the art galleries for our guests to walk through between the wedding and reception. The facilities director, Margaret, was great. I... Read More sent her tons of emails with requests and she always replied promptly and gave us everything we wanted and needed! Prices were reasonable and staff was very helpful and wanted to give us the best wedding they could!

Awesome venue

Reviewed on 11/01/2011 tahnya h

I held my ceremony and reception at the goggleworks and everything was perfect. The event manager margaret was amazing and very helpful through the entire process.

2013-01-24T10:30:03 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much for your review, it means a lot to hear this! We were so pleased that you hosted your wedding at GoggleWorks. Wishing you all the best! -Margaret

Meet The Events Director

Margaret Elaine Murphy

Margaret Murphy has enjoyed working at GoggleWorks for the past 11 years. She's been the Events Rental Director since 2008 and loves working with couples to help ensure they have an amazing wedding. She is from Reading, PA originally and received her B.F.A. in painting from Savannah College of Art and Design, in 2003. Besides working at an art center, she enjoys spending time seeing live music, traveling, spending time with family and friends, baking, and writing. She's currently planning her 2017 wedding herself. Book your wedding at GoggleWorks- you'll have a unique day that truly suits you