Green Gables Estate

Capacity: 300+ | WEBSITE | PHONE

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

Green Gables Estate provides a serene venue among the appealing vistas of San Marcos, California. The grounds feature historic structures, as well as natural landscapes that highlight the area's tranquility and privacy. This classic choice for wedding ceremonies and receptions prides itself on bringing a different ambiance to parties with maximum capacities of more than 300 guests.

Ceremony lawns and reception gardens are two beautifully arranged spaces that bring subtle European styling to the grounds. Well-manicured lawns mix with gardens full of fragrant flowers. A private gazebo sits nearby for stunning first-look photographs to capture the day's special moments.

The Richland House always features a fresh coat of clean white paint to ensure the house remains a landmark. This historical structure is surrounded by trees and plants to recreate an old English courtyard. It is used for wedding ceremonies, receptions and photography sessions.

The Tented Pavillion is one of the venue's most popular spaces. Overhead, wedding parties are met with a romantic glow that illuminates the event. Temperatures are always controlled by a thermostatic system that regulates the level of heat throughout the pavilion.

Only one wedding per day is booked at Green Gables Estate. The venue believes this philosophy gives each couple a unique wedding day that is tailored to their needs. Included in day long activities are receptions under the stars and sunset gatherings known as social hours.

Rain can be a part of any outdoor ceremony or reception. From umbrellas to tarps, Green Gables Estate is set up to handle any weather related emergency. Guests, as well as the wedding party, may be escorted into a beautifully appointed indoor space until the weather subsides.

Bookable time for each wedding party is up to 10 hours. This includes one hour of time for the party to leave the venue and two hours of access to a private bridal parlor. Any additional time must be approved by Green Gables Estate during booking.

A bridal binder is presented to all brides during their first visit. Over three scheduled meetings, the onsite professionals take care of every detail and stay organized with this easy to use book. Brides can also save other details they come across between meetings.

Catering may be provided by Green Gables Estate. A private chef is assigned to wedding parties and helps each couple select menu items for the reception. Wedding parties may also choose approved offsite vendors.

Recycling is important to Green Gables Estate. Floral arrangements left behind after an event are recycled and given to elderly residents in the community. Wedding parties may also designate flowers that they would like to have given to seniors.

Vintage props such as wine barrels and vanities may be rented by wedding party. Selected candelabras and centerpieces with vintage motifs are also available. These props create a fun and nostalgic detail that is especially useful for weddings with a retro theme. Additional perks include:

• Pets allowed
  • Custom LED lighting for each event

Thousands of Twinkle lights set in English Gardens

With receptions under the chiffon gathered Tented Pavilion in total seclusion with thousands of twinkle lights and lush gardens. Couples searching for an “out of the box” venue that is completely private and not just another golf course, winery, or hotel, find Green Gables very refreshing…

• Outdoor - Covered

Ballroom, Historic Venue, Tented

134 Woodland Parkway, San Marcos, CA (760) 510-1606

Reviewed on 9/15/2016 Juliette G

5.0 star rating 9/15/2016 Just had my wedding here last week and it could not have been a more perfect reception! The planning process was made easy as GG provides you with a wedding book and you have 3 coordination meetings. Since you meet with different people each time,... Read More some things get lost in translation, but just double check everything and you will be good to go! They provide so much decor ( i chose the classic package and only had to add a couple of things) that it makes it easy to create a beautiful event. Everyone that works there is very helpful and we heard no from so many places or they wanted to charge us extra which is not the case with Green Gables. They want to accomodate your every need. Also, you will save a ton of money on alcohol because you bring your own! (use BevMo) We have received so many compliments on our wedding and I have absolutely no regrets about having it at GG. We had a girl (Taylor?) that followed us around all night just to make sure we had drinks and food. Also, your pictures will be beautiful because the venue is so picturesque and the tent is celebrity quality.

Perfect Romantic Garden Type Venue!

Reviewed on 6/27/2013 Katie

I fell in love with Green Gables Wedding Estate as soon as I walked onto the property! It was so romantic, and gave the perfect setting for my wedding reception. The staff were all very nice and accommodating through the whole planning process. My ceremony was at a church so I... Read More didn't even get to go to the reception site on the day of the wedding until the party already started, but they set everything up so perfectly I didn't have to worry about a thing! Our big day was so beautiful and perfect, I can't even imagine if we had it anywhere else.

Excellent Venue

Reviewed on 12/13/2012 Eliana M

Green Gables went above and beyond our expectations. The packages and services they offer make the wedding planning process a lot smoother. We have to say it was worth every penny. Also, food was delicious!

Reviewed on 5/06/2017 Rachel O

Not affordable. yes its beautiful but very cookie cutter, overpriced, ran like a cattle call. seemed very business oriented.

Reviewed on 3/23/2017 Morgan C

The processs with Green Gables was a disaster. Not worth the money at all. Very unorganized. There will be promises made that aren't kept. Poor communication between staff, meaning you get a new person each time you meet and that person will have no idea of what's going on. It's... Read More like starting over every time. Literally if I went on about how terrible my experience was with the process, I would probably cry all one again because it is just so much. I gave 2 stars because not until a week prior to, did they realized how much they had put me through did they finally make an effort. I would have put zero if that didn't happen. Even though they made an effort to change things a week prior to my wedding, it still wasn't a dream come true. Plus the food was just terrible and COLD, which was disappointing because the tasting was a great experience. I tell my husband, can we just have a redo? He laughs at me. Best advice I could give Green Gables is, it's not just about the wedding day, it's also the process of planning the wedding that matters. A year of stress and let downs isn't something any bride wants to go through.

Reviewed on 6/30/2016 Megan S

We had our wedding at Green Gables in May, and it was absolutely perfect. We chose this site for the location, rustic charm, and its food/decor packages. We opted for the Premium Package, which included all the decorations and upgraded meals - well worth it since it let me live... Read More out all my Pinterest dreams with minimal extra work and stress. Needless to say, the venue itself is beyond beautiful, especially in the spring/summer when the flowers are in full bloom. The team there is so helpful, and everyone went out of their way to make sure everything went smoothly, from planning to the day of. These guys basically held our hand the entire time and answered every single crazy question I had. Every single detail was thoughtfully captured, which was crucial the day-of. A HUGE thank you to Daniel - as our planner and day-of coordinator, he hit it out of the park and made sure our day went off without a hitch. Our guests to this day are still commenting on how perfect a day it was.

Reviewed on 4/19/2016 Hunter F

This wedding venue was so perfect for what we wanted from size, style, price, etc. The staff is incredible and you get to work with a lot of them, but they all get to know your wedding file well. It also helped to have different ideas flowing at each meeting. The food was... Read More delicious! They even helped me surprise my groom with a late-night hot dog cart! Seriously, though. They will do anything to make sure your wedding day is a dream from bringing you sangria when you need it on the actual day to letting me share a Google Doc of my seating chart with them. They do all the setup, you just drop everything off at the rehearsal, and they did everything perfectly. It made for a very relaxing wedding weekend. If you get married here, you are so blessed and you will just remember your day as one of the best of your life.

Perfect Garden Wedding!

Reviewed on 10/08/2015 Jennifer B

I found Green Gables online and fell in love with it when I came out to San Diego for a family visit. My (now) husband and I toured the venue with his mother and sister and we were all impressed with the entire venue! We loved the vintage touches, the quirky style, and... Read More especially the items that were included with the package we ultimately purchased! Daniel was my coordinator and he did an excellent job on our wedding day keeping everything on time and making sure all of our details were taken care of. Since I planned my wedding from the East Coast, this particular venue was ESPECIALLY helpful in making this as stress-free as possible. We had a tragedy during the planning process in the loss of my mother-in-law 3 months prior to the wedding. Green Gables was very sympathetic and accommodating in making necessary changes. They also recommended an excellent DJ who they knew would be sympathetic to our circumstances. Even though we missed her terribly at our wedding, everyone who was working with us, helped us honor her and made sure we enjoyed our day to the fullest. THANK YOU Green Gables!

Reviewed on 9/14/2015 Lindsay B

We chose Green Gables because it was absolutely charming and we loved that everything was inclusive. This made our wedding planning process SUPER easy. The planners go way out of their way to make sure everything is taken care of. They will offer suggestions if you need, or... Read More they will bend over backwards to make whatever you want work. We got married a month ago and everything was flawless. Green Gables provides vendor recommendations and all you need to make sure your day is perfect. They also provide a day of planner, so we didn't have to worry about anything. I even had a bridal assistant the day of, who made sure I always had everything I needed. You can use all of their decor or bring your own. The food was phenomenal - everyone is still talking about it. If you book this venue, you will love the wedding planning process and you will enjoy every minute of your special day.

Perfect!

Reviewed on 6/23/2015

We had our wedding here this past weekend. Hands down the very best ever! The team here at Green Gables is the absolute best. Our wedding day went on without a hitch! El our coordinator was absolutely amazing. I wish I could get married here everyday! Absolutely no regrets. I... Read More would choose this venue 100 times over! The entire day was planned perfectly and the timeline was 100 percent adhered to. The entire team was so helpful through the entire planning process. Thank you Green Gables! I cannot thank you guys enough!

Fairytale Wedding

Reviewed on 5/14/2015 Brittany B

Our wedding was a dream come true and it is all because of this beautiful venue and amazing staff! Every time I came here I fell in love with it even more.

ask for Elham

Reviewed on 5/12/2015 April W

The venue is beautiful!!! Work with Elham and Christian they are by far the best of the green gables staff!! Elham has a beautiful eye for style and is so sweet!! I can't get over how awesome Christian has been through this process! He would email me back within 24 hours or less... Read More and answered all my questions. He also helped us to get our DJ approved and get our wedding insurance on file. Our wedding went off very smooth and Elham did everything she could to make sure that our ceremony was outside. 30 min before the ceremony it was poring rain and she made sure that the chairs got covered with tarps and the harpist was under an umbrella. The rain stopped and we got to have our ceremony outside!! She also gave me an umbrella when it started to rain again while we were waiting to go inside the tent. I would recommend this venue to other brides because of its beauty and those two staff members! The hard part about this venue is that you never know who you are going to work with. I was lucky enough to have found christian early on for all my questions and I requested to work with Elham on my wedding day.

Best service, Best value, Best location!

Reviewed on 4/29/2015

I had the pleasure to work along side Elham, Daniel, and the staff at Green Gables as a bridal assistant for Amy & Mike Hadry's recent March wedding. I was truly blown away by the exceptional service provided throughout the entire wedding planning process! We were so thankful... Read More to have Elham as our coordinator! She was so professional, calm, detail oriented, dynamic, full of great tips and so easy to connect with! You can really tell she truly cares about her clients! Everything turned out perfect, and the food was delicious! Their all inclusive packages are great, and I was so amazed on all the beautiful decor, and vintage chic items, and furniture pieces they have on hand and allow their clients to use! What a gorgeous wedding!!! Amy & Mike were so happy, and it really was their dream fairy tale wedding come true! Thank you for all the hard work put into to ensure their wedding was a success! I will definitely refer Green Gables to my future clients, and look forward to working together on future events!

Wedding of our dreams & beyond

Reviewed on 12/29/2014 Ollie L

We just got married at Green Gables Wedding estate in December! The staff at Green Gables was so great to work with, they answered my endless questions and really worked with me to get the wedding of our dreams! Even though it rained on our wedding day, Elham and the... Read More coordinators did a phenomenal job of making our day beautiful and very special. They set up the ceremony indoors and it was beautifully lit with candles. My favorite part of this venue is the amazing chandeliers on the dance floor. Very classic vintage feel. The bridal suite has gorgeous decor and furniture, which makes for great photos.

beautiful venue but bad service

Reviewed on 10/20/2014 Eun Jin R

this wedding was absolutely beautiful and it captured gorgeously on all of our photos. all my guests were amazed by how beautiful the venue was. however, the planning process was extremely stressful and frustrating for many reasons: 1. at time of signing the contract, they make... Read More many empty promises and make you believe that they will do "anything" you want for your wedding. however, that is sadly not true. the cake person said she couldnt do the design i wanted (even though it was very simple so one of the planners had to contact her in order to get what I wanted), they didnt have all the decor options they told me they had at the beginning (they had said they had medium sized cylinder vases but in fact they only had tiny ones or really huge ones that are used for outdoor gardens), the linens are extra charge, even though they made it sound as if I could choose any linens included in our price, etc. 2. every single staff told me different things when it comes to payment method and time of payment for any additional guests. someone said they would bill me with the difference after the wedding. another person said i needed to bring cash. another person said I just had to give them a credit card, etc etc until I had to speak with the manager. this is very unprofessional. all staff should be aware of their policy. however, every single staff member told me a different story, which made it extremely confusing and frustrating for me. 3. food was very dry. cake was not so good. during the time of signing the contract, they tell you they have an amazing cake baker, who used to work for celebrities- however, at time of cake tasting, their cakes tasted awful as if they had been sitting on the freezer for months and thawed it just for the tasting. you can get better cakes at Costco or Ralph's. overall, the venue is beautiful but working with the team was frustrating. thankfully, my bridesmaids were there to help out a lot.

Beautiful Vintage Wedding

Reviewed on 9/27/2014 Natasha d

We were looking for a rustic, vintage-style private wedding venue to have our outdoor wedding in the San Diego area and with one just visit to Green Gables wedding estate we realized we had found just that and so much more. Green Gables is beautiful; affordable (we got married... Read More on a Thursday) and a fun, intimate venue which allows your guests to wander through pretty gardens, an old school house, lit with twinkling lights, fountains, and an awesome huge tent for the reception with colour-coordinated lighting, vintage chandeliers, and a dance floor… We liked that the wedding package included our cake, pastries, coffee bar, easy menu choices, and a wide variety of props and furniture to get the vintage look that you are after without having to go and buy old suitcases yourself. The package also came with day-of wedding assistant and wedding coordinator. We actually had the coordinator run our wedding rehearsal and everything went beautifully. The wedding assistant was extremely helpful helping out with dress, veil, etc... on the day for getting around between picture locations. The wedding coordinator maintained our schedule perfectly and went the extra mile ensuring that us (bride and groom) had everything we needed so that we could enjoy spending time with our guests.

A dream

Reviewed on 9/04/2014 Brianna D

Green Gables Wedding Estate gave me the wedding of my dreams! In fact, it was beyond anything I ever could have imagined. My fiance and I were on a budget but the service and quality we received from the Green Gables staff was unparallelled! They helped us stay within our... Read More financial means and still get EVERYTHING we wanted. They were in contact with us every step of the way and helped make the whole process of planning a wedding easy and stress free. We were assigned a coordinator that made sure every detail was taken care of and that there was not so much as a petal out of place on our big day. In fact, my coordinator went out of her way to make sure we got everything we wanted. On the day of the wedding I forgot to bring in the babies breath filler for some mason jar decor we had. When she asked me if I had brought the flowers I said no and that we could just go on ahead without them. She left the room, but when she came back about 30 minutes later she told me she had "drummed up" some babies breath! In that moment I knew we had chosen the best venue. I was also assigned a phenomenal bridal assistant the day of. She was fantastic. She brought me tea, answered questions when I started getting overwhelmed, helped pose props for pictures, carried my bouquet when I was scrambling and even held up my train for pictures after the ceremony so that it wouldn't get dirty. All in all I would say that Green Gables is a venue that deserves a score of 11 out of 10. Everything was incredible and it made our wedding day so so special. I never felt worried about anything. They even had attendants for my husband and groomsmen. They kept everything flowing smoothly. I will never be able to rightly express my gratitude for the Green Gables staff for giving us a wedding beyond our wildest dreams. I will definitely be sending everyone I know their way!!!!!

worst wedding

Reviewed on 6/13/2014 Diane G

Do not have your wedding here! It looks lovely but they have no idea how to run a wedding. It is over priced with no bar included, they promise you a perfect day and do not follow through. There was no direction, no microphone for the ceremony or cellist. The wedding party... Read More and family didn't even get a drink of water for over an hour after the ceremony, no appetizers or drinks that had been promised. In fact, we never saw one waiter with a tray of appetizers, even though we upgraded to the highest level. That was 25 people who didn't partake. They had water coolers in the bridal suite but no cups. The bathroom is too far away from the reception tent, up a hill. There were not enough place settings at two different tables, chairs had to be brought in and dishes etc. The cake/dessert was not served as promised but set on a table not even near the coffee. I had to go in search of the dessert and move the table closer to the coffee. I wish we could have a do over on my daughter's wedding. one more thing, the photo booth didn't fit into the tent, so it was set up outside, could be nice but everyone left the reception to go out there and the tent was nearly empty. No party there. Poor Planing to sum it up. It was like the first wedding they ever held.

Remarkable!!

Reviewed on 5/18/2014 Ashlee E

If you want an outdoor wedding with a flare of vintage chic then this is your place. Not only is the site breath taking, but they have an incredible staff and really know how to execute!

So many compliments

Reviewed on 4/17/2014 Katherine J

Many of our guests said this was the best wedding they have attended! I'm so happy we choose this place as our venue and cater. The staff was amazing and the food was off the charts. Thank you GG:)

Lovely Estate for Dream Wedding

Reviewed on 2/21/2014 Alicia M

The staff at Green Gables is so wonderful. The process was easy and they were always available to answer questions throughout the planning process. The day of everything turned out perfect and all of our guests keep telling us how beautiful the venue was! We highly recommend... Read More this venue for your dream wedding.

Best Venue!! EVER

Reviewed on 9/12/2013 Mariah R

I got married this past March at Green Gables, and my guests are still talking about how it was such a unique wedding and one of the best they've ever been to! The venue had just the rustic, vintage feel I was going for, and my wedding was everything that I wanted it to be. Not... Read More only that, but they are constantly renovating, so the venue was even more beautiful when I had my wedding than it was when I booked. I had super-high expectations for my wedding, and the team at Green Gables made me feel at ease every step of the way. From the minute I toured the venue, the staff and the coordinators were so attentive and made me feel so comfortable. I didn't have to worry about a thing. Throughout the whole process, the people that work there were so responsive to every question and concern I had. Nicest people ever. Since the wedding was in March, it was pretty cold once the sun went down, which I was concerned about, but the tent was heated, so it was still comfortable in the reception area. I had so much fun, and I've gotten only positive feedback from my guests from the venue to the food to the DJ. Everything was so worth it, and I couldn't have made a better decision about where to have my wedding. Best day of my life.

PLEASE READ!!!

Reviewed on 8/28/2013

I only wish I would've seen an honest review before we had our wedding at Green Gables. It was only after we booked our wedding & 2 months before our actual day before we found out the truth, that Green Gables requires their "preferred vendors" to leave positive reviews in order... Read More to be a preferred vendor on their list!! So, I'm only hoping you read this before you book. Although the venue is pretty, it's not worth it.. there's so much to discuss, but unfortunately this review limits me. 1. Although this venue claims to be "all inclusive" (which initially attracted us to it) the only thing this includes is basic white napkins, plastic cups, and the venue itself. If you want to use any glassware at your wedding it will cost you $3/cup. This means, if you want to serve any non-alcoholic beverages (yes this means water) you will pay $3/pp. Then, if you plan on doing a champagne toast as well as serve wine & beer, you will be paying an additional $9/pp. They charge $3/glass per person. As you can see, this can get pricey. They also require you to pay for security personnel to be on the venue for the wedding as well as $800 to use their bar, you bring the alcohol yourself (I'm assuming this is because they don't have a liquor license). Also, although the cake is supposedly "included", again, this is only somewhat true. You have two cake companies you can choose a cake from, both taste great. We went with Cute Cakes. Unfortunately, Cute Cakes let us know that GG isn't entirely true when they say the cake is paid for. A cake either feeds 90 guests (a 3 tier) or 134 (a 4-tier). We were expecting 120 guests. This meant that if we wanted a 4-tier cake, so that everyone could have a piece, we would have to pay $5 for each extra person over the 120 guests. If we were buying 120 meals from green gables, they would only pay for 120 slices of cake. It just seemed crazy to me that this stuff isn't initially discussed with you. You only find out these details right before your wedding, which to me, is really fraudulent and misleading. 2. Apparently there is a noise requirement at Green Gables that they do not disclose to you in your contracts. We only learned about this from the many djs we interviewed. Although San Diego County has a requirement for sound levels, Green Gables measures this sound from outside the tented area, not the edges of the venue itself. Thus, the music has to be played very low. Unfortunately, this makes a lot of guests not want to dance. There is a person from the venue who stands outside the tent with a decibel reader & will confront the dj if the noise goes above their own "policy's level". We found out quite a few vendors won't even work at GG because their rules are so strict. 3. Although you will have meetings scheduled at GG to discuss your event's details, don't expect the meetings to be on time. One of my meetings, of course a week before my wedding, the "event planner" (they seem to provide u a different event planner each time) was 3 hours late. 4. the actual school house will be used for tours, appointments, and a show room during your wedding. so, although they say its a "grooms room", my husband and his guys were booted before our wedding so that the venue could sign up new weddings. 5. WATCH YOUR WEDDING CARDS! I'm not accusing GG of stealing our cards, but when i called them after our wedding to see if any cards had been left behind (since about 15 of ours were missing), GG never even called back.

Beautiful Vintage Spot!

Reviewed on 7/05/2013 Alayne L

We loved having our wedding here. It was soo beautiful. It was also very easy and the food, while not gourmet to a foodie perhaps, was very good. Our only minor complaint was that even after we checked all of our items in to them with detailed explanations of how to set things... Read More up the next day, they still didn't set everything up properly or have them ready to use (for example, the ring bearer box and the photo projector) when we needed them. They did get right on it when we requested something, though.

Green Gables- A Photographers Dream

Reviewed on 1/07/2013 LK Griffin P

My husband and I, of LK Griffin Photography, had the opportunity to shoot a wedding at Green Gables last month. To say we were impressed, is a complete understatement. The second we walked onto the grounds we were in awe. From the ivy covered trellises with crystal... Read More chandeliers,white gazebo under the giant pine tree, lush grounds and gardens, lantern strung reception tent, twinkle lights, vintage French Bridal suite and old school house, we couldn't have dreamed of a more perfect location if we tried. Not to mention the incredible professional and helpful staff, that made our job easy as could be and had everything run perfectly smooth! If you are a bride looking for a venue, you MUST check out Green Gables! And if you are a photographer, just you wait! It's a photographer's wedding paradise. Cheers, Luke & Katherine