Gruene Estate

New Braunfels, TX

The Inside Scoop

FROM THE KNOT EDITORS

The First Look

The historic Gruene Estate sits along 15 lush green acres in the midst of Texas Hill Country. The New Braunfels, Texas, venue was once the family home and farm of Ernst and Antoinette Gruene and dates back to 1857. Today, it is a private, secluded location that instantly sets the scene for a rustic or Texas-style country wedding. Whether you opt to say "I do" inside the open-air chapel or on one of the spacious lush lawns, nature provides almost all of the scenery for your wedding day. Dense forests surround the peaceful property, providing a beautiful outdoor backdrop for your wedding photos. Sandy rock-lined paths, old wooden fences and cozy Adirondack chairs are scattered throughout the venue, providing even more outdoor charm.

No matter where the ceremony takes place, maximum capacity for a Gruene Estate wedding is 250 people. Couples can choose from a few unique locations to say their vows, each one providing a simple, yet elegant and vintage, yet comfortable, space for your guests.

The Open-Air Chapel, adorned with antique European stained glass windows, is a popular spot for the ceremony. The vintage church also features a bell tower, stone flooring and beamed ceilings. Some wall panels are missing to allow guests to enjoy views of the property or a cool breeze on a warm Texas day.

Lawns. Several large, flat, green lawns make up much of the property at Gruene Estate. Outdoor wedding ceremonies can take place in these spaces with practically any aspect of the grounds providing a simple or natural backdrop.

The Rustic Pavilion is available for receptions. Handmade tables and chairs created from reclaimed barn wood, basket-style lighting, old French chandeliers, lanterns and antiques set the scene at the pavilion, which is just a short walk from the chapel.

Gruene Estate provides state-of-the-art lighting and sound systems for all wedding ceremonies and receptions. Onsite housing for up to 12 guests is available at the quaint farmhouse that sits on the property. The home is also available for the couple and their wedding party to get dressed for the ceremony and reception. All events must end by 11 p.m. Catering, flowers and photography are not provided; however, there are no restrictions on vendors.

The staff at Gruene Estate wants your wedding day to be as low-key and romantic as possible. For this reason, couples may take advantage of several additional perks:

• Baskets, candles and other decor items available in-house
  • Ample parking is available for all guests
  • Guests can play horseshoes or use the fire pit on the property
  • A bar is available for serving alcohol
  • A screened-in barn with sink, refrigerator and preparation area is available to your caterer

Gruene Estate New Braunfels

Nestled in the heart of the hill country, Gruene Estate, is the perfect wedding venue to say "I do". Located between Austin and San Antonio, the remarkable wedding venue includes a chapel and pavilion, and seats up to 250 guests. We are located one mile from Gruene and minutes from New Braunfels. *All Full Wedding Packages Include In House Coordinator*

• Outdoor - Covered

Farm + Ranch, Barn, Estate, Church

532 Rock Street, New Braunfels, TX (830) 609-8664

Reviewed on 11/29/2015 Jeffrie B

Beautiful venue. They really do a great job of keeping the grounds clean and nice (despite that I know they are frequently doing three weddings a weekend!). We had a lot of out of town guests who really appreciated the "rustic" feel and thought it was just the coolest place.... Read More I agree! Our pictures turned out beautiful and everyone was really happy! Also, if you're looking for a place you don't have to do much to make it look "finished," look no further!! The chapel and the reception hall are absolutely beautiful and Gruene Estate even has some of their own decor you can use to decorate with.

Love Love Love

Reviewed on 11/06/2015 Hailey T

This Venue is absolutely perfect, the pictures do not do it justice! It is definitely worth the money if you use it the entire weekend to stay there! It has the cutest little houses and was perfect for all of us! We loved it! The Chapel where the ceremony is held is just... Read More breathtaking everyone could not stop talking about it. The pavilion is completely perfect, rustic chic, it hardly needs any decorations. I would recommend everyone to this website! The hosts are so accommodating and helpful in any possible way!

Best Wedding Venue in New Braunfels, BY FAR

Reviewed on 4/20/2015

Words cannot describe how perfect Nolan and Katherine and the staff made my wedding weekend. No detail was overlooked. They were all flexible and accommodating to any and all of my requests through out the entire process. There was nothing that they could not fulfill. Everything... Read More ran so smoothly the night of the wedding and I was having so much fun that before I knew it the night was over! I wouldn't have had it any other way and I'm so grateful that they made it so easy for me. I have had people constantly calling me, my parents, and my husbands parents telling them how absolutely perfect the wedding was and that they have never been to a more fun, well put together, and beautiful wedding in all of their lives! What a compliment that is to me as the bride and I couldn't have done it without everyone at Gruene Estate! Reserving the entire place for the whole weekend is absolutely the way to go. We had the venue from Friday evening to Sunday morning which allowed us to have the rehearsal dinner there as well. I still daydream about how absolutely perfect my wedding was there. I would recommend Katherine and Nolan and Gruene Estate any day for any special event you may be planning.

Reviewed on 3/17/2017 Therese R

Gruene Estate is a ONE of a kind venue. There are a ton of other rustic, shabby chic, garden style venues out there but NONE could compare to Gruene Estate. The New Braunfels/Gruene area is a special place to both my now husband and I's family so not only was it the perfect... Read More location, but all of the facilities were great! The chapel even on a rainy day (which ours poured) lent itself to AMAZING photos and our guests completely loved the reception area with all of the candles, flowers etc. Carey was responsive and timely and answered all of our questions and she was always open and willing to help us figure out any hurdles that arose. My now sister in law can't wait until she get's engaged because she wants to get married at Gruene Estate now too!

Reviewed on 2/26/2017

Gruene Estate and the whole team at Gruene Estate are incomparable. They went above and beyond to make the preparation of our special day AND or actual special day the MOST PERFECT we could ever imagine. The property is like NOTHING else around (even those that have mimicked... Read More the open air chapel concept) and simply breathtaking. We cannot recommend Gruene Estate enough! Thank you!

Reviewed on 2/22/2017 Kristin R

Perfect place for your wedding! We loved the house we got to stay in all weekend which made everything stress free. Beautiful venue! Can't beat it! It is unique which is what we loved. The McCords

Reviewed on 10/27/2016 Melissa B

My husband and I fell in love with this venue!! It had everything we wanted in a venue, a place for our bridal party to stay, it was outside, and could accommodate all of our guests. We rented the venue for the weekend and there was always someone around or willing to drop by... Read More and make sure we had everything we needed. I would highly recommend this venue!

Reviewed on 10/05/2016 Courtney A

Gruene Estate was absolutely incredible! The venue is breathtaking, and you know every detail was completely thought through. Their staff was so helpful and informative throughout the planning process. Their day of coordinator, Carey of BASH Events, is top-notch! If we had to do... Read More it all over again, we would still choose Gruene Estate as our venue. Our family and friends are STILL talking about it weeks later!

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Taylor S

If you are planning a wedding, look no further than Gruene Estate!! Everything about this place is pure magic- from the scenery to the staff. My wedding plan/theme was simple, rustic chic and with all the decor that they have available I didn't have to buy anything- the venue... Read More truly speaks for itself. We went with the full weekend rental and it made the whole process so easy and less stressful. Having the access to the pavilion and chapel on Friday afternoon made the Saturday morning set up a breeze since we were able to do mock ups of everything Friday. It is absolutely worth the few extra dollars. Our day coordinator/manger was Sharon and she was amazing- very knowledge, easy to talk to and professional. The beauty of using their decor is you don't have to put it away at the end of the night- definitely a HUGE plus! Honestly, this place is perfect and I would have 100 weddings (with the same groom, of course) here!

Reviewed on 8/30/2016

Where do I start? Everything was beyond beautiful and my wedding day was the BEST DAY of my life!! Gruene Estate's venue was perfect in every way. I have always wanted to get married in a little white chapel/church, and when I saw their chapel, tears came to my eyes. Gorgeous... Read More and magical! We enjoyed the whole property. The barn, guest houses, and main house was extremely accommodating for our large family and friends. We wanted a one-stop ceremony & reception, and we sure got it! Our day of coordinator was sweet and extremely professional and organized. She made me feel calm and loved! I literally could go on and on about my wedding. Honestly, if you are looking for a charming, Texas-style, outdoor, rustic, wedding venue then take some time to visit the Gruene Estate. We will sure visit again to relive our magical day soon!

Reviewed on 8/25/2016 Lauren B

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL venue! I loved it as did my family and guests. Very quick response and easy to communicate with. Sharon was the staff present at my wedding and she was wonderful, I didn't worry about a thing.

2016-08-25T19:04:20 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Lauren! What a special event y'all had a wonderful group of friends and family. We are blessed to have worked with and hosted y'alls big day! Much love

Reviewed on 8/24/2016

We loved everything about Gruene estates: the open air chapel, the open covered pavilion , the quaint cottage and charming house, long horns, horses, deer, the beautiful fields and large trees. But most of all , the owners were tremendous and the planner that is included with... Read More the booking was absolutely amazing. She provided us with an outstanding vendor list and was on top of the smallest detail. We could not have found a more beautiful , peaceful place for our daughters wedding. We highly recommend Gruene estates for anyone that loves nature and the feeling of being outdoors .

2016-08-25T09:37:49 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Josie-thought it was a perfect day and loved working with y'all and so happy it was everything you wanted. Best wishes! PS-I think the date of your wedding is listed as 10/23/17 on the side of the review instead of 8/12/16

Reviewed on 8/23/2016 Zina T

Perfect venue!!

2016-08-25T09:38:21 Response from the vendor

Thanks Steve! So happy for you and Zina!

Reviewed on 7/10/2016

Beautiful venue, wonderful staff, great amenities for the cost. My daughter's wedding would not have gone more smoothly! I highly recommend you check out this venue.

2016-07-11T15:06:13 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much! Which bride are you with?

Reviewed on 7/05/2016 Sydney Page C

Incredible venue! The managers were so accommodating and kind. The "day 0f coordinator" was a God-send. And more than anything else, the venue is perfectly gorgeous. We've gotten so many comments from guests that were amazed at the venue, some saying they've never seen a venue... Read More so beautiful. After looking at several venues beforehand, we knew the instant we visited that Gruene Estate was where we wanted to get married. One major draw was that it was so naturally beautiful that it relieved us from the pressure of having to over-decorate to make it look nice. Big plus! Just some personalized touches here and there, and it was more than we could have ever hoped. Thank you, Gruene Estate!

2016-07-06T22:04:41 Response from the vendor

Congrats to you Sydney and Bowen-honored to be part of your special day!

Reviewed on 6/13/2016 Hannah B

Gruene Estate was the PERFECT place for our wedding! We loved it! Katherine was so helpful through all my questions. The staff was great! The owner was out the morning of the wedding introducing himself. Definitely a great choice!

Reviewed on 4/12/2016 Laura S

My husband and I loved getting married at Gruene Estate. If we had a chance to do the whole thing over again, this is still the venue we would pick! Not only is the venue absolutely picturesque, but they provide a lot of the decorations for you. We were able to stay at the... Read More venue the whole day, from getting ready to making our final exit. As a bride this was particularly important to me. I was able to spend time with my bridesmaids in the bridal suite and have a completely stress free day. I would definitely recommend Gruene Estate to any bride that wants a rustic hill country wedding!

2016-04-12T12:58:41 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much Laura! So happy for y'all! Glad it was just what you wanted and a stress free and beautiful day.

Reviewed on 4/06/2016 Jacy P

Amazing staff & venue! The staff was very responsive and helpful. The day-of-coordinator, Carey, helped us with all the small last minute details. Between Carey and all the other staff, the day went off without a hitch. The venue is well-kept and absolutely gorgeous! It's open,... Read More rustic, charming & romantic.

2016-04-06T14:35:05 Response from the vendor

Thank you Jacy for your kind words. What an amazing day you had. We wish you many years of happiness to come!

Reviewed on 4/05/2016 Bryan Lawrence

Everything about our wedding day was absolutely perfect. The staff at Gruene Estate were beyond willing to make sure everything was wonderful. They suggested awesome vendors that were so nice, affordable, and worked with us to create exactly what we wanted. The venue itself is... Read More so beautiful and I couldn't have pictured a more perfect place to marry my best friend. From the chapel to the reception venue and from the table decor to the lights overhead, everything about this venue is stunning. Every memory I have of Gruene Estate is a fond one, and I am so thankful we had such and amazing experience with the nicest people in the most beautiful place in the Texas hill country.

2016-04-05T22:52:26 Response from the vendor

Thanks so much Nicky-what a great group you had and a beautiful wedding. Best wishes to you both!

Reviewed on 3/08/2016 Kacy K

Besides the venue being perfectly stunning and fit my dream theme, the staff was friendly and professional. They were always at the other end of the phone or email when I had random questions and wanted to triple check things again. I loved that they had some decorations I... Read More could use to help carry out our theme as well. The day of the wedding they were full of energy and helped my family and friends however they could. I provided them a timeline for the day of the wedding and they helped keep things on track. As a wedding planner myself, I wanted the perfect venue for my wedding...and this is hands down the place.

2016-03-10T12:50:22 Response from the vendor

Thanks Kacy! What a special and beautiful day you had! So happy for y'all!

Reviewed on 3/02/2016 Meredith B

Living in Los Angeles, but having been born and raised in Texas, the search for wedding venues in both CA and TX was as extensive as it was varied. Gruene Estate kept coming up in our search over and over and each time the image just gripped a little tighter on my heart. After... Read More thorough research and some back & forth, we knew that Hill Country was the area and Gruene Estate was THE venue. The contract was pretty cut and dry. No weird surprises or requirements. Everything makes sense. The prices are incredibly reasonable, given that your venue, reception area, the bridal cottage, and a smaller groom's cottage are in one place. There is so much space for your guests to enjoy. The views are beautiful. The staff is courteous, polite, and helpful (I mean, it's Texas, what else do you expect?!). Gruene Estate allows you to utilize some materials they have for decor, should you wish. It's truly a blank canvas on which you can create your dream wedding, no matter how big, small, fancy, casual, chic, or trendy that dream may be!

2016-03-02T21:57:07 Response from the vendor

Thanks Meredith for taking the time to share your experience with Gruene Estate. We loved hosting your wedding-what a beautiful, unique and fun one it was! Best wishes to you both!

amazing venue!

Reviewed on 1/11/2016 raven u

My husband and I LOVED this venue! The entire staff was so sweet & helpful with any question & any all visits we needed to make before our wedding. The day of wedding everything was perfect and so memorable! I would recommend to any bride that loves that outdoor country chic... Read More feel!

Reviewed on 1/07/2016 Amber H

Breath taking...

Reviewed on 11/21/2015 Chrissy O

Gorgeous venue? Yes! Great customer service? No! I made the mistake of falling in love with a friends picture from his wedding at Gruene Estate. I begged my fiancé to get married here. Boy was that the biggest mistake of my life! At the end of the day I married the man of my... Read More dreams, but had to put on a fake smile and pretend that nothing was wrong. Read every single line of the 15 page contract. Don't ask a question because once you do you receive attitude from Katherine and her husband, Nolan. Once they have your money the friendliness and kindness is tossed out the window. Shortly after touring the property we decided to book the venue in December because they provided a shed of decor, a beautiful venue (no question about that), and allowed you to bring in your own vendors. So they said. We started to plan the table decor and we were told that some items listed in the contract were not guaranteed until the day of the event if available. We brought my fiancé's sister back to the property in February to show her the venue. While touring again we were informed that we could no longer serve bottled beer (as their Facebook pictures display). When we questioned this we were told we could rent glasses to serve beer out of. Because that doesn't cost more money, right? Fast forwards nine months. When I contacted Katherine to make our second payment I had all of our vendor information. She stated that she would get it from me closer to the wedding date. She sent me an email asking for the information on the Monday before our wedding. Well out of the 30 days she states it was required. We had a security guard (Comal County Sherif Deputy), dj, caterer, bartenders, etc. A friend got married at GE earlier this year. He warned me at the end of October about GE changing the bartending service on him the day of his wedding. I emailed Katherine with Gruene Estate to confirm that this would not happen. Her response to my question is attached. She was "highly offended" at my question, but try being the BRIDE/CUSTOMER who gets a TEXT 3 hours before your wedding saying your bartenders would be escorted off the property! THAT highly offends me! Sharon (who only works the events at the venue) told my future mother in law that she needed to have a drink when she was questioned about when the ONE bartender would be on the property to set up the bar (which the contract states two bartenders are required for events serving over 100 guests). So it's okay that Gruene Estate disregards their contract? Again, customer service out the window. I forgot to mention the one toilet out two with the lid off and a coat hanger attached for guests of ours to use to flush the toilet. Classy! The venue employees let my mom and even guests help us clean the pavilion before getting up off their seats to do their job as one of the employees stated. Yes, I did forget to check the freezer in the pavilion because I personally did not load up the vehicles after our reception. When I asked if my anniversary cake layer was at the venue I was told by Katherine "it's in the freezer of the pavilion. It needs to be picked up by Thursday." I then responded saying I could be there at 5pm to pick the cake up. Katherine stated her employee could not wait till then and put it on ice in a cooler. That was a lie. It was in a cooler without ice on the porch of the house. Take my advise...save yourself the stress and headache. Get married at a different venue!

2015-12-11T11:28:10 Response from the vendor

To the November 14th, 2015 wedding group: Sorry to hear that you feel you had a negative experience. We will certainly take your feedback into consideration for future events and will continue to work hard to provide the best experience possible within the requirements of... Read Less Read More

Look no further!

Reviewed on 11/18/2015

From rustic beauty to country charm Gruene Estate has it all! The chapel with its stain glass windows, the reception area with its rustic wood tables and chairs and the beautiful grounds to include a fire pit makes this venue a perfect place to have your wedding! If your able... Read More to rent the cottages it will complete the whole package. They are beautifully decorated and add to the charm of this venue. The staff is very helpful and great to work with! This venue even has decorations you can use if you chose, to help keep the cost down and keep the rustic charm alive Many of our guest have commented on how beautiful the venue is and many are keeping it in mind for future weddings and/ or events. I would highly recommend this venue! S Poerner