Charleston's Leading Catering Partner Since 1979

Charleston’s catering partner for life’s most memorable events in the Lowcountry since 1979. A family owned and operated, full-service caterer, Hamby provides all food & beverage services, floor plan and timeline creation, rental coordination and streamlined advice on event logistics. As Charleston’s premier full-service wedding caterer, dedicated to using the freshest, most sustainable ingredients and finest preparation techniques. Our secret ingredient for a successful event is our staff, approaching each event with thoughtful expertise and time-tested experience.

Cuisine

American, Seafood

Dietary Options

Vegetarian

Food + Catering

925 St. Andrews Blvd., Charleston, SC (843) 571-3103

Best caterer in Charleston!

Reviewed on 5/11/2015 Jessica K

We couldn't be happier with choosing Hamby as our caterer. Ryan and his team were so easy to work with, helped make recommendations and accommodations for our budget, were extremely professional, and the food was amazing! Our guests all raved about the food. I strongly recommend... Read More using Hamby!!!

June 2013 Wedding

Reviewed on 7/18/2013 Lauren C

Hamby Catering is the caterer we used for our wedding in Charleston in June 2013. We worked closely with Megan and the Hamby team and could not have been more impressed with the service and professionalism. Megan was the best!! We really enjoyed working with her. The food... Read More was excellent, the follow up was great and the service our guests received at the wedding reception was top notch. Hamby provided food during the cocktail hour and everyone loved it. They also provided the dinner for our outdoor reception following the wedding. It was delicious!! Hamby is an extremely professional company with a great reputation in Charleston and we would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a fantastic catering company!

2013-07-18T11:17:50 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback and for trusting us to handle the catering & service for your wedding weekend!

Amazing catering

Reviewed on 7/07/2013 Jennifer R

Hamby's is simply the best. We are still getting compliments on the food (people keep telling us it was the BEST wedding food they've ever had). Ryan McKenzie is an amazing event coordinator with Hamby's. He has done so many weddings before that no task is too big or... Read More challenging to him. We needed to squeeze a lot of people into a tight space and he made it happen. He got creative with the table set up and made it perfect! We couldn't have done it without him.

Reviewed on 8/17/2017 Melody L

I was overall really pleased with my catering at our small wedding! The food was really yummy and the service was great. The caterers did leave a small mess outside in the carport of our rented home/venue where they seemed to be doing expo and cleanup stuff and left earlier than... Read More what I expected/the contract specified, but not a big deal. Everyone, myself included, raved about the boursin mashed potatoes and I loved the cinnamon raisin crisps that were part of the bread basket. Thank you, Hamby!

Reviewed on 8/09/2017 Holly R

Known for their snowflake soft finger sandwiches and cheese straws, I was familiar with Hamby's reception catering. We love the grab and go market and frequent it for cocktail party needs and afternoon tea invitations. Until I met with Brittany, I had no idea the depth of... Read More Hamby's abilities. We were so impressed with the Italian Feast we chose for our Rehearsal dinner. We had a casual buffet but the servers were formally top notch. And, the food was delicious.

Reviewed on 6/27/2017 Lacy D

Hamby was wonderful to work with and provided a delicious meal for our wedding day. Our guests raved about the Signature Salad (one even mentioned that it was the best salad they'd ever been served at a wedding), and the Beef Medallions were cooked to perfection. We also had... Read More Hamby provide bar services and they did a fantastic job. The bartenders were attentive, kind, and quick. The only concern I had was that it was often challenging to find a staff member. Our DJ announced that the buffet was open and as the first guests to eat, my bridal party and I pulled all of the saran wrap off of the salad, dressings, etc. It wasn't a big deal to me as I'm an Events Management professional myself, but on the same token, I wouldn't be too pleased if that happened at one of my events. Also, we had a small Groom's cake that I asked to be stored in the refrigerator as it was surprise for my new husband, and when time came to cut the cake, I couldn't find a staff member to bring it out for me. That said, I asked one of the bartenders who promptly grabbed someone from the back. Other than those minor flaws, we truly enjoyed our catering experience and I do recommend Hamby for your upcoming events! Caroline was so easy to work with and helpful in coordinating rental items. Lastly, I absolutely loved that they sent us home with a picnic basket filled with each food item we had selected to serve, including cocktail hour hors d'oeuvres. It was a nice touch and I was thrilled that we were able to enjoy those items the following day!

Reviewed on 5/24/2017 Rebecca P

Hamby's was wonderful to work with! Caroline coordinated everything for us and she was very helpful and creative with planning. The tasting a few months before the wedding was an awesome experience. Hamby's was very accommodating and easy to work with. Everything was set up... Read More perfectly at the reception too. Excellent choice!!

Reviewed on 5/02/2017 Callee H

We used Hamby's as our caterer for our wedding and received nothing but compliments on the food! Throughout the wedding we had a good number of guest asking who did the catering! The staff was amazing showing up on time ready to set-up; and the servers/chefs were very friendly... Read More with our guest and had quite a few laughing and tell stories after! The food is so incredibly delicious as their menu continues to grow! I would highly recommended their mini tomato pies for cocktail hour... by far my favorite! We actually enjoyed Hamby's so much that we had them deliver to The Thomas Bennett House and serve my bridal party lunch the day of the wedding! Caroline was great to work with and easily reachable. We thank you Hamby's for making our wedding day so special and look forward to working with your catering services again!

Reviewed on 3/30/2017 Rich K

If you want a true Charleston hospitality and southern fare experience, for sure book Hamby. Delicious food, excellent service and the history and values of a family-owned company. We just loved everything that Hamby cooked up for our wedding. We received many compliments on the... Read More food and service but our favorite part was the bride and groom basket they sent home with us for after the wedding. Excellent service and flexibility, as an out-of-town couple they accommodated us for tasting times and menu planning which was much appreciated. Thank you Ryan, Melanie, Patrick and everyone on the Hamby Team!!

Reviewed on 3/21/2017 Gina R

I highly recommend Hamby catering! Caroline did a great job patiently answering endless questions, making suggestions and giving advice all along the wedding planning way! The tasting was professional, artfully displayed and yummy! Caroline organized not only the food but... Read More renting extra tables, chairs and linens. She supplied signs for reserved tables as well as allergies. The food was delicious; my guests are still raving!!

Reviewed on 1/25/2017 Rachael T

Hamby catered our wedding in December and it was the best decision! My first time speaking with someone at Hamby they made me feel like they cared and would be able to make my wedding great. Everyone was so helpful, accommodating, and professional at the same time that it truly... Read More made the wedding planning less stressful! Ryan worked with us for our wedding and he did such an amazing job! Their food is seriously good. We even had it for brunch while we got ready before the wedding! We received countless compliments about how delicious all of the food was!! We are still dreaming of the mini tomato pies and everything else!! I highly recommend Hamby!!

Reviewed on 1/23/2017 Tracy K

Really Hamby Catering deserves 6 stars! They catered our daughter's November wedding and my husband and I can not say enough about their professionalism, attention to details, friendliness of the staff, helpfulness and not to mention the AMAZING food! We wanted a true... Read More "Charleston" menu for our guests and we were not disappointed and neither were our guests! We used stations to serve our 200 guests. The Biscuit Bar, Shrimp and Grits, Hamby Farm Stand, Mini Tart Arrangement and the Crab Cakes/Steak Medallions were all amazing, leaving our guests wanting more!

Reviewed on 12/08/2016 Christina M

There are not enough stars!! Bellamy and the Hamby's staff went above and beyond to make my wedding more than I even dreamed of.

Reviewed on 10/19/2016 Olivia M

Hamby recently catered our approx 200 person wedding and they did a phenomenal job! My parents and I were really concerned about finding a good caterer because weddings can be so hit or miss for food service. However, everyone was raving about how awesome the food was and we... Read More could not be happier we chose them! Caroline was a dream to work with, and set up our tasting and coordinated with the event rental company to let us know what they would need. It was seamless! If there was any issue the night of the wedding I certainly did not know about it! The price was super reasonable as well. We ended up going with the farm stand, the salad station which we customized, and the BBQ station. I highly recommend the fried okra on the BBQ station, it was awesome!

Reviewed on 10/12/2016 Karolina Z

Ryan and Hamby went above and beyond for our wedding. From the planning process, to food tasting to actual wedding food - everything was amazing. Our guests couldn't stop talking how much they loved the chicken and waffles station. Everything was perfect!

Reviewed on 9/28/2016 Holly S

As the mother of the bride, I had very high hopes for my daughters wedding. Hamby Catering and specifically Ryan McKenzie far exceeded my hopes and expectations on every level. Ryan managed not only a fantastic catering menu but also took responsibility for all of the decor,... Read More including the tent, linens, floorplan...everything. He made planning this wedding so pleasant and was beyond organized. His attention to detail and to our "style" was exceptional. At his suggestion we opted for 4 stations preceded by passed appetizers. The bartenders and wait staff were completely professional. Our guests...most visiting Charleston for the first time..raved about the food and the service. I highly recommend working with Hamby's. You will be delighted!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Mallory S

We used Hamby for our wedding and were very glad we did! A friend of ours recommended Hamby us and we have continued to pass on the recommendation. They seem to only employ people with positive attitudes who seem like they are genuinely happy to be there. Hamby assisted us... Read More with our bar as well! The food was delicious, the service was excellent, and we STILL have people come mention to us how much they loved our food. Thank you so much Hamby! - Mallory S.

Reviewed on 9/14/2016 Megan N

Hamby blew us away with amazing service and the food was absolutely perfect! Definitely consider the biscuit bar - it was an absolute hit at the wedding.

Reviewed on 8/29/2016 Nicole D

Hamby catered our wedding on August 26th, and the food was AMAZING! Not your typical boring wedding food, that's for sure. My brother, who is the pickiest eater I know, couldn't get enough of the mac n cheese that was at the BBQ station. All our guests loved the food, including... Read More my husband and I. The staff was very friendly too, and they were very helpful helping me with the menu and accommodating the allergies that I mentioned. Highly recommend them!!

Reviewed on 8/15/2016

Where to even start - Hamby's is it, the bomb, we actually planned our reception venue to make sure that we could secure them for the food. We had used Hamby's for more than 20 years for bank functions, cocktail parties, etc., because they were equal parts rave-worthy food,... Read More unequaled experience on the part of their staff, and bang for the buck. Never a single problem or worry, always relied on them for a beautiful table, sumptuous food. Working with them for a wedding took it beyond the next level, they moved into the role of psychotherapist and spiritual counselor. Kudos to Ryan and Kathy and all the rest of the Hamby's staff. They handled three events for us, a cocktail party for the "alt" rehearsal dinner for the young cousins, a wedding breakfast the day of the nuptials, and all of the wedding reception food and bar. My only regret is that we didn't just have them completely handle everything for the cocktail party and brunch. I don't know what I was thinking planning events "at home," but everyone wanted to see both houses, and Hamby's stepped in like a trusted family friend, picked out the sterling to use, washed up and left everything spotless. We added a bartender for each of those events at the last minute, as we started freaking out when we were down to the deadline, and they not only accommodated us, but sent people who told jokes and entertained our guests. I wish we had let them bring the whole bar service. We had felt we could do it ourselves, but we wound up overbuying, as well as straining our backs. At least liquor keeps, right? All the foodies in our family from out of town gave five star thumbs up plus plus, and they are an insanely critical bunch. Book them early.

Reviewed on 7/19/2016 Carolyn M

For the life of me I don't understand how Hamby Catering was rated #1 for 2015 & 2016 by the Knot. We had our granddaughters wedding on the Carolina Girl ship in Charleston. Long after we hired Hamby catering company they said the dishes & utensils had to be bio-degradable on... Read More the ship. They assured us it would not look like plastic. The tables were stunning with table length florals and then my jaw dropped when I saw paper napkins & picnic ware. There were our guest trying to eat Beef Tenderloin with plastic, it was sad. As for the food, it was fair at best. They served a salad with no dressing, the ravioli were mushy, the only thing good was the steak and the guest could not eat it. When I complained about the plastic, they said that is what my daughter ordered. This was a lie! They did not give my daughter a choice. When we complained about the paper napkin, again they said this is what my daughter ordered. Why would my daughter & son-in-law spend $20,000 + for 45 guest and accept paper & plastic if they had options? The Carolina Girl's literature states they supply Linens but the planner said that means tablecloths only. This info was given to us at the wedding when we questioned paper napkins.. Where I come from linens mean Tablecloth & Napkins. The Venue The Carolina Girl offers a spectacular event for a small wedding with this one flaw regarding Linens. Sincerely, Carolyn Mirdo

Reviewed on 6/28/2016 Kathy W

From the tasting to the finished wedding, I couldn't have been more happy for Hamby's professionalism and extraordinary food. My daughter was married on June 10th at the Cotton Dock and Hamby handled her reception with excellent in presentation and taste. My guests are still... Read More talking about the good food and that is what they will always remember about the wedding. The biscuit bar was to die for and the shrimp and grits were the best ever! They even catered to my daughter's food allergies and made gluten free sweet tea glazed chicken and was it ever good. I can't recommend them enough. Five stars is not enough! Thanks for helping to make my daughter's dream wedding come true!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Kim P

I can't recommend Hamby Catering highly enough! We planned our wedding from overseas, so we weren't able to do a tasting. We just had to trust our wedding planner's recommendation, and all of the other glowing recommendations online. Ryan was brilliant to work with, and really... Read More customized the perfect menu for us. About half of our guests were from England, and we were apprehensive about the response to shrimp and grits at one of the stations. We shouldn't have worried as many of the guests went back for seconds and thirds of it! Everyone absolutely raved about the food, and the hamper at the end of the night with a sample of everything was such a nice touch.

Reviewed on 6/09/2016 Caitlin S

You can seriously stop looking now. The food is amazing, the staff is pleasant and Ryan is off the chain. Hamby remains to be one of my favorite vendors to work with during the wedding planning process. Ryan went through everything with me and put together a menu (at my... Read More request), without me having to think about every single little option I had. I wanted a caterer who would listen to the type of foods I wanted, and create a menu. And he did just that. Easiest decision I've ever made. Also, they make the tasting fun and special and I guarantee people won't be able to stop talking about how good the food was.

Reviewed on 5/10/2016 Lindsay B

Hamby was amazing to work with! Their food was incredible and one of the continuous comments I received from our guests. I have often not noticed the food at weddings because it was just "so so" so the fact that my guests continue to rave about it is incredible! Hamby was... Read More extremely easy to work with. Alexandra, our sales person, was so accommodating and creative to keep us in budget. She detailed a perfect menu plan for us that was very high end, but within our budget. We enjoyed a professional tasting, where we tweaked and perfected our menu items, which was really fun. Service and quality the day of the wedding was impeccable! We could not have selected a better caterer! I highly, highly recommend Hamby for any events in the Charleston area!

Meet The Manager

Candice Wigfield

Candice has more than 14 years of experience in the marketing, public relations, advertising and events industries. With an undergraduate degree in Communications from Clemson University and a Masters in Business Administration from The Citadel, Candice manages aspects of operations, sales, marketing and business development at Hamby Catering & Events. During her four years as part of the Hamby team, Candice has been responsible for rebranding a 37-year-old Charleston institution, recruiting and building a dynamic team, and developing lasting relationships with clients and organizations.