Charleston's Leading Catering Partner Since 1979

Charleston’s catering partner for life’s most memorable events in the Lowcountry since 1979. A family owned and operated, full-service caterer, Hamby provides all food & beverage services, floor plan and timeline creation, rental coordination and streamlined advice on event logistics. The Hamby team

Cuisine

American, Seafood

Dietary Options

Vegetarian

Food + Catering

925 St. Andrews Blvd., Charleston, SC

Best caterer in Charleston!

Reviewed on 5/11/2015 Jessica K

We couldn't be happier with choosing Hamby as our caterer. Ryan and his team were so easy to work with, helped make recommendations and accommodations for our budget, were extremely professional, and the food was amazing! Our guests all raved about the food. I strongly recommend... Read More using Hamby!!!

June 2013 Wedding

Reviewed on 7/18/2013 Lauren C

Hamby Catering is the caterer we used for our wedding in Charleston in June 2013. We worked closely with Megan and the Hamby team and could not have been more impressed with the service and professionalism. Megan was the best!! We really enjoyed working with her. The food... Read More was excellent, the follow up was great and the service our guests received at the wedding reception was top notch. Hamby provided food during the cocktail hour and everyone loved it. They also provided the dinner for our outdoor reception following the wedding. It was delicious!! Hamby is an extremely professional company with a great reputation in Charleston and we would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a fantastic catering company!

2013-07-18T11:17:50 Response from the vendor

Thank you so much for your feedback and for trusting us to handle the catering & service for your wedding weekend!

Amazing catering

Reviewed on 7/07/2013 Jennifer R

Hamby's is simply the best. We are still getting compliments on the food (people keep telling us it was the BEST wedding food they've ever had). Ryan McKenzie is an amazing event coordinator with Hamby's. He has done so many weddings before that no task is too big or... Read More challenging to him. We needed to squeeze a lot of people into a tight space and he made it happen. He got creative with the table set up and made it perfect! We couldn't have done it without him.

Reviewed on 7/19/2016 Carolyn M

For the life of me I don't understand how Hamby Catering was rated #1 for 2015 & 2016 by the Knot. We had our granddaughters wedding on the Carolina Girl ship in Charleston. Long after we hired Hamby catering company they said the dishes & utensils had to be bio-degradable on... Read More the ship. They assured us it would not look like plastic. The tables were stunning with table length florals and then my jaw dropped when I saw paper napkins & picnic ware. There were our guest trying to eat Beef Tenderloin with plastic, it was sad. As for the food, it was fair at best. They served a salad with no dressing, the ravioli were mushy, the only thing good was the steak and the guest could not eat it. When I complained about the plastic, they said that is what my daughter ordered. This was a lie! They did not give my daughter a choice. When we complained about the paper napkin, again they said this is what my daughter ordered. Why would my daughter & son-in-law spend $20,000 + for 45 guest and accept paper & plastic if they had options? The Carolina Girl's literature states they supply Linens but the planner said that means tablecloths only. This info was given to us at the wedding when we questioned paper napkins.. Where I come from linens mean Tablecloth & Napkins. The Venue The Carolina Girl offers a spectacular event for a small wedding with this one flaw regarding Linens. Sincerely, Carolyn Mirdo

Reviewed on 6/28/2016 Kathy W

From the tasting to the finished wedding, I couldn't have been more happy for Hamby's professionalism and extraordinary food. My daughter was married on June 10th at the Cotton Dock and Hamby handled her reception with excellent in presentation and taste. My guests are still... Read More talking about the good food and that is what they will always remember about the wedding. The biscuit bar was to die for and the shrimp and grits were the best ever! They even catered to my daughter's food allergies and made gluten free sweet tea glazed chicken and was it ever good. I can't recommend them enough. Five stars is not enough! Thanks for helping to make my daughter's dream wedding come true!

Reviewed on 6/20/2016 Kim P

I can't recommend Hamby Catering highly enough! We planned our wedding from overseas, so we weren't able to do a tasting. We just had to trust our wedding planner's recommendation, and all of the other glowing recommendations online. Ryan was brilliant to work with, and really... Read More customized the perfect menu for us. About half of our guests were from England, and we were apprehensive about the response to shrimp and grits at one of the stations. We shouldn't have worried as many of the guests went back for seconds and thirds of it! Everyone absolutely raved about the food, and the hamper at the end of the night with a sample of everything was such a nice touch.

Reviewed on 6/09/2016 Caitlin S

You can seriously stop looking now. The food is amazing, the staff is pleasant and Ryan is off the chain. Hamby remains to be one of my favorite vendors to work with during the wedding planning process. Ryan went through everything with me and put together a menu (at my... Read More request), without me having to think about every single little option I had. I wanted a caterer who would listen to the type of foods I wanted, and create a menu. And he did just that. Easiest decision I've ever made. Also, they make the tasting fun and special and I guarantee people won't be able to stop talking about how good the food was.

Reviewed on 5/10/2016 Lindsay B

Hamby was amazing to work with! Their food was incredible and one of the continuous comments I received from our guests. I have often not noticed the food at weddings because it was just "so so" so the fact that my guests continue to rave about it is incredible! Hamby was... Read More extremely easy to work with. Alexandra, our sales person, was so accommodating and creative to keep us in budget. She detailed a perfect menu plan for us that was very high end, but within our budget. We enjoyed a professional tasting, where we tweaked and perfected our menu items, which was really fun. Service and quality the day of the wedding was impeccable! We could not have selected a better caterer! I highly, highly recommend Hamby for any events in the Charleston area!

Amazing Caterer & Event Production Company!

Reviewed on 12/09/2015 Rachel S

Hamby delivered above and beyond for our wedding services. We worked with Ryan and he was wonderful to work with taking the stress out of making decisions and making sure we had options that we were happy with for our wedding. The food was delicious and we are still receiving... Read More compliments from wedding guests on the food and how it was displayed.

Reviewed on 10/30/2015 Sally S

Wonderful caterer! Had heard about and used Hamby my whole life but was blown away by their work on my wedding last December! The food was amazing, the staff was efficient, and my event producer was helpful every step of the way. Great experience overall!

Reviewed on 10/29/2015 Carol G

Excellent! Worked with me and my family every step of the way to create the most perfect wedding night I could imagine! Alexandra was there every step of the from menu planning to decor rentals. The night of the wedding went very smoothly and the food was delicious!! I would... Read More recommend Hamby to anyone!

Awesome!

Reviewed on 10/20/2015 Megan R

So not only is Hamby Catering DELICIOUS, but the presentation is great as well. They have an awesome office where you can have your tasting (with champagne!) They let you look through their warehouse to pick out the serving dishes that you like. It's really a fun experience.... Read More In addition, you can choose to hire an event coordinator who will help you design your floor plan, order your rentals, etc. How lucky was I when I got Ryan McKenzie?! He's the BEST! With his guidance, we designed the most beautiful reception. He took the time. listened to my ideas, gave me suggestions, etc. He thinks of the things you'll forget, he'll warn you about certain costs if you're on a strict budget. Long story short...he knows what he's doing. He has a great reputation with all of the vendors I hired. If you want the most beautiful wedding that you could have ever dreamed of, hire Hamby and him. Seriously!

Family Reunion Catering

Reviewed on 10/13/2015

The folks at Hamby did a beautiful job with the buffet dinner for a group of 17 adults at a family reunion. The two servers arrived as scheduled, prepared thoroughly and were very hospitable in serving our guests. They cleaned up everything after the meal and were very nice to... Read More everyone. The food was delicious. I would strongly recommend Hamby to anyone interested in providing a first-class dinner party.

June 27 2015 Wedding/Thomas Bennett House

Reviewed on 7/28/2015

The food was AMAZING, shrimp & grits were out of this world, beef tenderloin was fork tender. Our cocktail hour goodies were delicious. The bartenders were so polite and accommodated our guest with all sorts of drink request. I have had guest that want to know how to make... Read More those mini tomato pies. We had 180 guests and they kept the food coming. I went with almost all their recommendations, but they tweaked a couple of item for us. They did not disappoint. Would use again if I have the opportunity too. Price included 4 stations and full bar.

Simply The Best

Reviewed on 6/17/2015

The best catering company in Charleston. The food is amazing and service impeccable. Don't miss out on a biscuit bar!

Excellent Service, Food, and Communication

Reviewed on 5/21/2015 Heather V

I was very pleased with my entire experience with Hamby Catering. Our coordinator, Cacky, did a wonderful job communicating with us, determining our needs, and developing the perfect event. The food was delicious and our guests had a great time. I emailed and called several... Read More times over the months of planning and preparation and Cacky was always patient and helpful and prompt in responding to me. I recommend these guys 100%!

Truly Amazing!

Reviewed on 5/21/2015 Ingrid B

Hamby did an amazing job and it was a pleasure working with Ryan. He is a superstar! The food was so good and we really felt we got the best deal for the money we spent. Great Job!!

Amazing!!

Reviewed on 5/05/2015 Alyssa

Cacky with Hamby was awesome! She helped us figure out the perfect menu that works with our budget. The food was absolutely amazing and all of our guests raved about how good everything was.

A Match Made In Heaven

Reviewed on 9/25/2014

Hamby Catering was over the top when it especially was needed...the day of ! They were into the details that I did't think existed. I made the opportunity to personally thank the staff who kept the flow seamless. The food was as delicious as it was beautiful. Thank you Hamby for... Read More helping create and deliver a beautiful celebration for such a happy couple. I am thankful to have the opportunity to see service done to perfection.

Catering & Rentals

Reviewed on 8/15/2014 Megan R

My experience was amazing with Hambys. From the first conversation with Ryan, he put me at ease and made the whole process so easy and seamless. The food suggestions along with the rentals and seating arrangements were great. I couldn't have asked for a better wedding and I... Read More have Hamby's to thank for that. The food was absolutely delicous and the set up was beautiful. It was so great hearing all of my guests RAVE over how much they loved the food! I would recommend Hamby's to anyone and everyone!

High-quality food, fabulous price

Reviewed on 7/23/2014 Lindsay J

Hamby Catering made my Cotton Dock wedding at Boone Hall Plantation so much easier to plan! I took on the role of "wedding planner" myself to save a little money, but worked alongside Ryan every step of the way for a lot more than just food. Ryan is insanely busy, but it's... Read More because he's so knowledgeable, flexible, and detail-oriented. I initially met with him to discuss just food service, but after spending some time talking with him, I realized this could be a one-stop shop if I needed it to. Ryan ended up getting me set up with food (Hamby), chair/table/linen rentals (outsourced, but he took care of the details and set up for a nominal fee), and bar (also outsourced but stress-free for me because he took care of it). I had a budget I worked very hard to stay within and Ryan was incredibly supportive and flexible to help me stay within the budget. Our food was DELICIOUS and our guests are still raving about the quality and taste. Our rentals were set up exactly as he and I planned and I honestly couldn't tell you a single thing about the bar because I didn't have to worry about it- they took care of it all! If you want high-quality food and service for an affordable price, Hamby Catering is it!

Cater/Planner

Reviewed on 7/15/2014 marsha s

Hamby Catering and Events provider all services from planning the floor layout, picking out the type of serving pieces and equipment, determining color coordination, planning and orchestrating the entire reception. Ryan called me Friday afternoon and shared his concern about... Read More the wedding/reception being held outdoors. He recommended a tent, and within 24 hours had a tent and liner erected and the entire ceremony site transformed. Hamby provide outstanding customer service from hosting a four hour food tasting event, several in person meetings as well responsiveness to emails and calls. Everyone, including a lot of people who never had southern cuisine were amazed at the quality and quantity of the food and beverages that were provided. Their staff were all professionally dressed, and even when it rained, never missed a beat serving the guest, providing food and beverages, and continued the exceptional services after the wedding reception. They were on time and completed dismantled the entire wedding site and reception site to its professional state. You can see the picture by visiting Riverland Studios - The Island House. Thanks to Hamby they recommended all vendors and services that we needed.

BEST catering in Charleston

Reviewed on 4/03/2014 Kerin S

From the moment I first reached out to Hamby Catering they were professional and fantastic from the get go. After Ryan McKenzie reached out to me to discuss the food selection and planning over the phone I knew this was the company we were going to use for our wedding. He has... Read More worked numerous times on The Carolina Girl yacht and has it down to a science. When we visited Charleston for our tasting with Hamby we were blown away. The presentation and food were amazing and so professionally done. Ryan sat down with us and we mapped out on the boat exactly where all of our stations needed to go and what would work with the number of guests. After the tasting he brought us to their warehouse so we could go over the exact décor we wanted to go with our food spread. The food for the wedding was beyond perfect. We wanted a southern inspired menu and Ryan nailed it! People couldn’t get enough of the bacon wrapped scallops, Shrimp and grits station and the Hamby Famous Ham biscuits along with everything else! Everything was beautifully displayed and served with perfection! They sent a Bridal Basket with samples of all of our reception food and champagne to our room for after the ceremony which was a lovely addition to the evening. They even sent the extra food which was a nice surprise as well! I would recommend Ryan and the Hamby Catering Team to anyone planning a wedding or event in Charleston!!!!

Delicious and Affordable

Reviewed on 1/29/2014 Dixie S

Need I say more? Shrimp & grit bites, fried green tomatoes, crab cakes, tenderloin...just to name a few of their endless delicious menu items. We will use them for any catering in the future.

Best Caterer in Charleston!!

Reviewed on 12/02/2013 Kelley C

Ryan was so easy to work with and went out of his way to make sure my event was exactly how I imagined it. The food was absolutely incredible, along with all the staff! Everyone was very professional at the wedding and provided high quality service. I would highly recommend... Read More Hamby and Ryan McKenzie, they will not disappoint!

Meet The Manager

Candice Wigfield

Candice has more than 14 years of experience in the marketing, public relations, advertising and events industries. With an undergraduate degree in Communications from Clemson University and a Masters in Business Administration from The Citadel, Candice manages aspects of operations, sales, marketing and business development at Hamby Catering & Events. During her four years as part of the Hamby team, Candice has been responsible for rebranding a 36-year-old Charleston institution, recruiting and building a dynamic team, and developing lasting relationships with clients and organizations.