Hawthorne Hotel on the Common

Salem, MA

Book Your Wedding with Hawthorne Hotel on the Common

A BALLROOM IN SALEM, MA

The great Hawthorne Hotel on the Common is found right in the middle of the historic city of Salem, Massachusetts. This member of the Historic Hotels of America has welcomed more than 1 million guests over the years. It's also been the location of countless weddings dating all the way back to 1925.

The Grand Ballroom features 19-foot-tall ceilings with elegant chandeliers, huge Palladian windows, gorgeous woodwork, exquisite carpeting and a spacious wood dance floor. The space works well for wedding ceremonies as well as receptions.

Outdoor ceremonies are sometimes possible through the Hawthorne Hotel on the Common. The hotel works with Salem city officials to plan weddings on the 76-acre Salem Common and can work with the House of Seven Gables to host weddings on their oceanfront lawn.

The Hawthorne Hotel on the Common has wedding coordinators available to help couples with the planning process. The planner works with the bride and groom to come up with the best spot for the ceremony and tends to all the other details. A list of recommended, reputable vendors is available for couples to choose from including entertainment, florists, bakeries, photographers and stylists.

No outside alcohol is allowed to be brought into the hotel because of the state beverage license regulations. The Hawthorne Hotel on the Common offers a wide range of beverage services including cash and open bar options. Extras, like wine service with dinner or a champagne toast, can be added to any wedding package.

The service of a professional wedding coordinator is included with each wedding package and couples have an assortment of packages from which to choose. The Classic Wedding package comes with a menu tasting for the bride and groom, a one-hour cocktail reception with open bar, a four-hour dinner and dance in the Grand Ballroom, a four-course dinner, a custom wedding cake and sparkling wine for the toast. This package also includes floral centerpieces that complement the couple's wedding colors, table linens, napkins and overlays, a cake knife for the couple to keep, a private room for photographs, one guest book and place cards.

The meal for the Classic Wedding package comes with the choice of one appetizer, one salad, an entree and wedding cake. Appetizer choices include lobster bisque, pumpkin ravioli and jumbo shrimp cocktail. Salad examples are Asian, Hawthorne Caesar and Mediterranean. Entrees options include classic roast pork loin, roasted sea bass, chicken Hawthorne and roasted New England cod or haddock. The entree comes with a vegetable, grains or potato accompaniments, such as roasted red potatoes, lobster risotto, sugar snap peas and carrots and fresh asparagus.

The wedding cake package presentation includes tea, coffee and whipped cream with fresh strawberries. Special additions are offered as well including cheesecake pops, ice cream bonbons and after-dinner specialty coffee and pastry stations. Couples also have the option of adding special late-night treats to any package. Choices include a pizza bar, Mexican bar and desserts.

• Special rates for guests staying at the hotel
  • Discounted pricing for wedding showers, rehearsal dinners and farewell brunches
  • Complimentary coatroom attendant
  • Complimentary limousine
  • Deluxe room or suite for the bride and groom on their wedding night

Hawthorne Hotel on the Common

For over 75 years we have been helping brides fulfill their dreams in our beautiful two-story ballroom with stunning Palladian windows overlooking Salem Common.

Ballroom, Hotel, Restaurant

Food + Catering, Planning

18 Washington Square West, Salem, MA (978) 825-4358

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Nina D

We got married at the Peabody Essex Museum in July of 2016 and the Hawthorne Hotel was our caterer, as well as hosted a farewell breakfast for us and our guests. We blocked rooms at the Hawthorne and many of our guests stayed there. There are so many wonderful people that work... Read More at the hotel. Laura Abraham Long was our catering manager and overall superwoman! I can not say enough wonderful things about Laura. She is extremely knowledgeable about what she does. She has great ideas and suggestions. I took all of her suggestions and could not have been happier. She even helped pick out our table linens and colors. She went above and beyond what I was expecting to get from a catering manager, I trusted her completely and she helped make our wedding and the months leading up to it a smooth ride. Liz Dube was our day of coordinator and she is just as fabulous as Laura! She was always right there asking if we needed anything. Liz even went to find a pair of pliers during our wedding to fix the bustle on my dress- without me even asking! Everything went exactly as wewanted because of the wonderful staff at the Hawthorne. The food was delicious, and coming from a family of chefs we can be a little hard to please. The food at the farewell breakfast was awesome too! The staff was always attentive and we had a great time. Everyone that stayed at the hotel loved it! We have zero regrets in using the Hawthorne Hotel and I highly recommend them to everyone! You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed on 10/04/2016 Megan F

The staff is wonderful and made our wedding the best day of my life. The ballroom is so beautiful and my guests loved the food. I didn't have to worry about a single thing the day of and we were able to just enjoy ourselves.

Reviewed on 10/02/2016 Debra E

My daughter got married in June at the Hawthorne Hotel. From the minute we walked in we knew this was the venue for us. The atmosphere and the staff were as close to perfection as you could get. The food was beyond delicious. Working with the the staff and their suggestions... Read More for flowers and music is the way to go. However, none of this would have come to fruition with the amazing Laura Abraham Long Senior catering manager. Laura was my constant go to for ten months. Laura walked me through every step with grace and professionalism. She answered every question and email promptly and without judgement. (I had some pretty crazy mother of the bride questions) never once did Laura make me feel as though I was a bother. If you are fortunate enough to choose The Hawthorne and work with Laura, I guarantee you will have your dream wedding. I have a friend for life.

Reviewed on 5/12/2017 Mimi R

I had my wedding at the Hawthorne Hotel this past October 2016 and I don't think we could have found a more perfect venue! The Grand Ballroom embodied the perfect setting for our classic, vintage style themed wedding while also providing all of our guests with the Salem... Read More experience during Halloween. Nothing can beat the pictures of our wedding party in the beautiful fall foliage on the common (even though it was raining!) that is just steps outside of the hotel. To add, the fact that every event during our wedding weekend was within walking distance of each other could not be more convenient for us and our guests (rehearsal dinner @ Finz, ceremony at Immaculate Conception Parish, reception at Hawthorne Hotel, and Salem downtown attractions). The very first decision I made when I got engaged and began the planning process was that I was going to wear my 108 year old family heirloom wedding dress and I knew I wanted the venue to portray the elegance of this dress with a classic, vintage, and elegant setting. I had toured a few other locations in Boston, but knew I had found the perfect place the minute I walked into the Hawthorne Hotel and met with Karen O'Kane. The quaint historic building makes you feel like you stepped back in time with original furnishings and architecture that truly can't be replicated anywhere else combined with the extraordinary service the staff provided. Karen was super friendly and made the entire planning process more fun than stressful like I was anticipating. Overall, I along with all of our guests had an incredible wedding weekend at the Hawthorne Hotel and I could not have asked for a more memorable experience that I will cherish forever! I can't wait to visit again for our 1 year anniversary celebration at the hotel this Fall! Thank you Hawthorne Hotel for a wonderful wedding experience!

Reviewed on 3/24/2017 Rachel M

THE ENTIRE STAFF UNDER THE LEADERSHIP OF LAURA AND LIZ WERE ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC! I wouldn't have trusted anyone else with my wedding day! I am so thankful for this hotel. NOT ONE THING WENT WRONG during my blizzard wedding! We love you!

Reviewed on 3/05/2017 Jessica W

It was a wonderful experience working with the Hawthorne Hotel and I couldn’t be happier with how our wedding turned out. From the initial call to schedule an appointment until the final day before the wedding, they answered every single question and kept me informed of what I... Read More should be doing and what still needed to be done. We meet 3 times before the big day and we are from out of town so they worked around our crazy schedule. They gave us suggestions when needed and a list of referred vendors which we used the limo and bakery which were amazing as well. On the day, everything ran completely smoothly and stress-free. The staff was friendly, flexible and able to accommodate any needs that arose. We couldn’t be happier with the decision to hold our wedding reception at the Hawthorne Hotel. During the wedding I loved the fact you could throw the bouquet from the second story window into the ballroom and it made it very memorable. The large park next door added a beautiful view out ballroom windows and provided the perfect place for group photos. In addition, the coordinator was always there guiding us if needed and keeping the evening flowing perfectly. The Hawthorne is a great place for a wedding because of how beautiful and historic the hotel is but also because the city of Salem sparks with personality. Relatives from out of town loved it because they had stuff to do during the day and were not too far from Boston. Friends and family were able to walk nearby for lunches and dinners while staying in Salem for the weekend. Salem has a diverse bar scene, ample museums and other points of interest that made the whole weekend a joy for friends and family even in the middle of February.

Reviewed on 12/27/2016

We based our August 2016 wedding weekend out of Salem, blocking guest rooms at Hawthorne and hosting our rehearsal dinner there too. Our guests enjoyed the rooms and the blocking arrangements worked out seamlessly. Ryan and Melissa were great on the lodging side. The... Read More rehearsal dinner in Sophia’s room was top notch, and Laura was completely organized and professional throughout the experience. We were very happy with the experience.

Reviewed on 12/20/2016 Candice s

may 20th,2016 my husband and i got married here it was amazing. we had more people attend our wedding than we thought so we had to move the location a week before the wedding thank god they had our date available and they made it seem like we planed this wedding months in... Read More advance when we walked in everything was so beautiful and set up so perfectly i couldn't ask for a better day. they were very attentive, very nice and accommodating! i was so glad we had our wedding here! it turned out amazing. i would recommend this place to any bride this is the best hotel.

Reviewed on 12/15/2016 Sarah B

We had our wedding at the Hawthorne this past fall, 10/15/16. We booked it almost a year and a half in advance, so if you plan on having you wedding here we suggest you do the same! There is a reason this place books so quickly and that is because of the quality of service you... Read More recieve. The staff at the Hawthorne were so accomadating and quickly answered any questions we had along the way. Laura Abraham-Long was especially helpful along the entire process, she was well organized, prepared for any questions we had, and reassuring with any concerns or decisions we had to make. Saying Laura was the best is simply an understatement! Jennifer Kelly was very helpful with our room block, and worked very hard to make sure we were able to accomadate our closest guests at the Hawthorne during its busiest time. Our Function Coordinator Liz Dube was an angel the day of our Wedding. She made us feel so comfortable and STRESS FREE THE DAY OF and made sure everything went exactly how we wished. The entire staff made the whole wedding planning process stress free and they also allowed us to feel comfortable monatarily as well. Planning a wedding obviously can be very expensive and the people at the Hawtorne worked hard for us to meet our goals while not going too crazy in our budget, which is a very nice touch to a market that makes you feel like they only care about your cash! All in all we highly recomend you book your wedding at The Hawthorne Hotel. I know everyone says their wedding was perfect and the place they had it was perfect, but the hawthorne goes so much beyond just the wedding day. They make you feel like a celebrity the entire process and truley make your special day amazing. Every one of our guests were blown away at how well they coordinated the wedding and the services they provide. Thank you so much to everyone at the Hawthorne, again especially Laura, Jennifer & Liz. You guys were amazing and we couldn't have pictured a better experience. Thank you!

Reviewed on 12/12/2016 Jill M

We utilized Hawthorne Hotel’s catering services for our December 2016 wedding at the PEM. Overall, we couldn’t have been more thrilled with the entire experience. We began working with Laura halfway through the planning process, and were immediately impressed with her... Read More professionalism and expertise. She was always quick to respond to emails and always willing to answer the multitude of questions I would throw her way throughout the planning process. She was just the best. They are a bit pricey, but truthfully worth every penny. The food was absolutely incredible (when can you ever say that about wedding food??)...our guests were raving about every hors d'oeuvre , appetizer, and dish. The serving staff and bartenders were incredibly friendly and hospitable. We had Liz overseeing our reception, and I couldn’t have been more grateful for the calming effect she had on me throughout the evening. I knew right off the bat that we were in good hands with her there. She was consistently checking on us to make sure everything was going well throughout the evening, which made such a difference in our abilities to enjoy every moment and not worry about a thing. She even helped bustle my dress, talk about going above and beyond! Overall, top notch. We are so grateful for everything they did for us on our special day.

Reviewed on 12/08/2016 Marielle T

My husband and I had an amazing time at our wedding ceremony, reception and breakfast at Hawthorne Hotel. We worked with Karen O'Kane and Christine Madigan and our day of coordinator, June Jennings. From the moment we expressed interest in Hawthorne through to our breakfast... Read More brunch, all of our questions were answered immediately and with such kindness and understanding for our budgetary limitations. Karen executed our vision perfectly - she answered all questions and spent a lot of time making sure we were happy with our decisions. She was so organized and made the process much easier than it would've been elsewhere. Their list of recommended vendors was also incredibly helpful. We were blown away by the atmosphere Hawthorne provided and the impeccable service. The night before our wedding we had a rehearsal and we still had a lot of decisions to make regarding the ceremony and reception. June helped us work through these important decisions with such patience, we were really grateful for that. The day of our wedding, June was very easy to communicate with and coordinated everything beautifully. We and our guests were so thrilled with our accommodations at the hotel as well. The food was incredible and everything went seamlessly. Thank you Hawthorne for such a wonderful experience!

Reviewed on 11/22/2016 Laura D

Our wedding at the Hawthorne this past weekend was so perfect, and we owe it all to Laura, Liz and the team at the hotel for putting together such a flawless event. The ballroom is so beautiful, our guests loved the food and all gave us compliments on what a great wedding it... Read More was. Laura and Liz are so great to work with, I didn't have to worry or think of any logistics all day which allowed me to relax and enjoy the wedding. I can't recommend a wedding at the Hawthorne enough!

Reviewed on 11/17/2016 Jonathan H

What an amazing venue! It was the historic charm and reputation that brought my husband and me to consider the Hawthorne Hotel for our wedding, and it was the thoughtful care, hospitality, and professionalism of the staff that made it easy to say ‘yes!’ to it. Laura (our Wedding... Read More Coordinator) was an absolute dream to work with. Her insights and suggestions were invaluable to getting the best value for our wedding, and her careful guidance kept us focused on what we needed to do (which wasn’t much – the Hawthorne takes care of a lot!). When it came to the wedding day, Liz kept everyone moving, focused, and on task. The wait and beverage staff took exceptional care of us and all our guests; hors d’oevres and drinks were constantly being rotated out amongst the guests during cocktail hour. Dinner service was exceptionally delicious, and our food was expertly prepared and delicious. Our wedding day was truly perfect from start to finish and it absolutely would not have been as wonderful and memorable if we did not have it at the Hawthorne.

Reviewed on 11/17/2016 Katie O

I recently planned an event at the Hawthorne Hotel and all the team members were very helpful, especially Karen. She took the time to understand the situation and worked with what we had to make things work. I really appreciated the interest she took in planning the event.

Reviewed on 10/18/2016 Steven C

After getting the right people to work with, The Hawthorne Hotel was a beautiful venue to have our wedding at. Laura, Liz, and Jennifer went above and beyond to make sure things were perfect. Thanks so much for giving us such a beautiful wedding.

Reviewed on 10/13/2016 Pat A

Our daughter's wedding at the Hawthorne was just lovely. The staff was friendly and professional. A special thank you to Laura who was our "go-to" lady. She really came through every time. Also, Elizabeth, who was on in charge on our special day attended to every detail. I... Read More would highly recommend the Hawthorne if you want an elegant experience.

Reviewed on 10/10/2016 Karen M

The Hawthorne Hotel was amazing from start to finish with coordinating our wedding. Laura couldn't have been more detail oriented and was always sure to put every bit of extra effort into all of our very specific requests, and we know dealing with two brides is double the... Read More challenge!! Our emails and calls were always returned immediately and any concerns we had work quickly put to rest. On the morning of the wedding we had planned to have our ceremony outdoors away from the hotel. We woke up and it was raining out. Laura called my bridal suite on her day off from work first thing in the morning to ask me if we wanted to move our ceremony inside. We didn't even think this was an option such last minute. She truly saved the day. Laura and our coordinator for the day, Liz, worked tirelessly and within less than a two hour timeframe were able to magically pull off moving our entire ceremony inside. Including all of the personal extra touches that we had planned for our outdoor ceremony and made sure that everything went seamlessly. Our guests were amazed. Our room was exquisite and all of our decor was pulled together perfectly by Liz. She ran around for us all day attending to any need that we could possibly have. We truly had no worries on the day of our wedding and everything was taken care of for us before we even could think about it. Our wedding was truly vintage glam and whimsical. It looked like a photo from the inside of a magazine. We were flooded with compliments throughout the entire day from friends and family. This day could not have been more perfect. Thank you Laura and Liz and the Hawthorne Hotel. Love the newly weds, Karen & Elisa

Reviewed on 10/06/2016 Kristen H

My mom hosted my bridal shower here. Everything about it was perfect. The food was delicious, the room was adorable, the staff were attentive but unobtrusive. I left a gift behind and the staff retrieved it and kept it at the desk for me. Definitely would recommend!

Reviewed on 9/27/2016 Whitney E

I cannot express how wonderful the Hawthorne Hotel was for my wedding day! Every single request was met without a hesitation. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous and I was able to have my wedding ceremony as well as my reception there. They flipped the ballroom without a hitch! My... Read More guests LOVED the convenience, and the delicious food of course! The staff was phenomenal as a whole, but I have to specifically mention how amazing it was to work with Laura Abraham Long. Laura made myself and my family feel as though we were her only clients. She was available to answer all the crazy questions we had, and never once made us feel like we couldn't go to her for guidance. She is just fabulous, and if you can work with her and the other amazing staff members at the Hawthorne, consider yourself blessed. She truly made my wedding extra special.

Reviewed on 6/22/2016 Natalia A

Our experience at the Hawthorne Hotel was incredible. From the moment we met with the wedding coordinator, Laura, we knew it was the venue we wanted to have our wedding at. Every single staff member at the hotel was kind, professional and went above and beyond to make our day... Read More perfect. We continue to receive compliments from family and friends on how wonderful this venue and staff was. Thank you to all we made our day unforgettable!

Reviewed on 3/04/2016

We could not have asked for a better venue and a more helpful, attentive, organized, and friendly staff. Everyone at the Hawthorne helped make our dream wedding a reality. I'd highly recommend this venue to anyone getting married in the New England area. Quick background... Read More on our wedding: my wife and I decided to have a fairly traditional wedding ceremony and an 80's themed reception. Laura, our coordinator at the Hawthorne, loved the idea and was so enthusiastic in helping us make the most of it. We had a lot of specific plans for decorations, music, the cake, etc., and Laura recommended the perfect vendors to meet our needs. She also kept us on the ball when it came to deadlines in the months leading up to the big day. The day before the wedding, Laura and our day-of coordinator, Liz, helped us with a very thorough run-through of all the details, and Liz was there the next day to make sure everything ran smoothly. The waitstaff, bartenders, front desk staff, etc. were all very helpful and friendly as well. Our ceremony took place in the large, beautiful ballroom, and then the guests were brought upstairs to a spacious lounge area for cocktails while the ballroom was flipped for the reception. This all went so smoothly, and it was great having it all happen in one place – no need for shuttles or any between-venue logistics. Even the after party was in the Tavern accessible through the main lobby. Another huge plus was that so many things were covered in the wedding package. This limited the number of vendors we had to deal with and allowed us to spend time focusing on nailing the 80's themed party and not worrying about all the small details. Also, the food – prepared by the Hawthorne catering staff – was delicious! I really can't say enough about the Hawthorne. Of course, this day was going to be unforgettable for us no matter what, but the fact that the venue was so great and the staff was so helpful made it that much more special.

Rehearsal/Reception/Breakfast/Hotel

Reviewed on 1/21/2016 Kira B

They offer a lot of all in ones packages from including the cake, to centerpieces, to a full course sitdown meal for a high but reasonable price. They are will to work with you to get exactly what you want. All three events and the blocks of rooms for guests worked out great!

Wedding

Reviewed on 1/13/2016 Ashley D

It was abosutly perfect. The staff was amazing and so helpful. They were friendly and very good to everyone. It was my dream wedding well worth the money!

Beautiful Venue for a Fall Wedding

Reviewed on 11/24/2015 Amanda P

The folks at the Hawthorne Hotel made our wedding fabulous! They were there for every question I had, and explained every detail. They were always one step ahead of the game and made me feel at ease. We had our ceremony and reception in the same room and it couldn't have gone... Read More better. Beautiful, elegant venue. I would highly recommend.

Reviewed on 8/22/2015 Kristen

I cannot say enough great things about the Hawthorne Hotel. We just had our wedding there a few weeks ago, and everything went perfectly! The food was fantastic, the ballroom was beautiful, and the staff was amazing!